Victor Newbie

Antique Phonograph Discussions

Victor Newbie

Rox7403
Rox7403

15 Jan 2017, 01:05 #1

I am hoping there is still traffic on this board. There really is not a lot out there and I'm jus looking for basic advice on my Victor Talking Machine VV-IX....

Sadly, I've had it a year and only learned today I need to change my needles after each play. I know I'm not supposed to play 78s made after a certain year... But, not sure what that is....

What is the difference between shellac 78s and others? Any advise is grately appreciated....

Also, ever since I was a little girl... I've loved the song, Lavender Blue(dilly, dilly).. I've found it on a 78.... but, concerned about the year it was made... again... I just do not want to buy a 78 and ruin it or my Victrola...

Thank you in advance for your help and advice....

Ghostsoldier
Ghostsoldier

16 Jan 2017, 15:45 #2

I'd be interested in knowing about this too, Rox, since I'm new to the hobby, myself.

I bought an upright "Melody Maker" model about a year ago (not sure what model number it would be), and have been collecting 78s for it, ever since...I bought over 200 new needles off of eBay, but I would like to know what that "cut off" year is, so I don't ruin some of my favorite records.[I]

Rob

Ultona
Geezer
Ultona
Geezer

23 Jan 2017, 19:01 #3

There's still traffic here. Glad to see you two posting. Hopefully the real authority on Victrolas...Dan Gilmore...will chime in soon and answer your questions.

BTW Rox, you can play 78's on a modern turntable if you have the proper stylus.