"Like, so Last Year"

Post your photos of painted Otherworld Miniatures here

"Like, so Last Year"

DukeoftheBloodKeep
Red Dragon

Mar 2 2011, 01:58 AM #1

They are like the Jonas Brothers of the D&D world, only a short time ago they were the new hotness and now they lie broken and crumpled in a heap with Justin Bieber shaped holes bashed into them.

But just because they are no longer adorning the covers of Dungeoneer's Weekly, or doing a double page lingerie spread in Fighter'sXXX, doesn't mean we should just forget about the stinky goodness that was the Otyugh or the stylish, yet rotten flesh of the Demi-Human Zombies.

So, why not break out some of last year's lead, take it out for a spin and give it the chance to shine... After all that Otherworld Giant is still just as effective today as it was a year ago! So, while we wait once again to suckle at the teet of the cult of the new, lets cast our minds (and our paintbrushes) back and add a little life to one of last year's great minis!

So, that's this month's challenge, any miniature produced by Otherworld in the last year is eligible. Feel free to paint more than one mini and creating scenes that tell a story are always highly praised. Mini's from other manufacturers can be included in your challenge as long as the 50% Otherworld rule is abided by and of course, you can only successfully complete this challenge if at least one of the minis you paint was produced by OW in the last year. Check this thread for a full list of releases that qualify.

Finally, congratulations to everyone who participated in the last challenge:

Jake B (2)
AndyM (2)
Clam (2)
Bruenorodinson (1)
Anakeron (1)
And... Me! (2)

(The number in parentheses is the total number of successful challenges completed)

I hope that everyone involved has enjoyed this and that the challenge continues to grow, it's been great to see all your painted goodies!

kiltedyaksman
Stone Giant
kiltedyaksman
Stone Giant

Mar 2 2011, 02:22 AM #2

Dude, you totally forgot me in the challenges completed! :)

DukeoftheBloodKeep
Red Dragon

Mar 2 2011, 02:56 AM #3

That's because I was only noting the people who completed the feb challenge specifically! :P

AndyM
Purple Worm
AndyM
Purple Worm

Mar 2 2011, 11:41 AM #4

OK, looks like it'll have to be a Otyugh for me then. I think I have all the others done already!! Oh maybe the mummies, but they are pretty easy to do. They could be my fallback if I run out of time!

kiltedyaksman
Stone Giant
kiltedyaksman
Stone Giant

Mar 2 2011, 12:20 PM #5

Ok, my first reading gave me the impression of total challenges completed...my bad :)

March is a busy time in the term but I'll try to get something done.

clam
Hill Giant
clam
Hill Giant

Mar 2 2011, 06:44 PM #6

Otyugh for me as well but might might find time for doing two. Anyone one for doing the giant? Lol Haven't bought mine yet, but the last bit of my voucher is going to be spend on one.
My painting blog: Clamshells and Sea Horses @Blogger

Collecting John Pickford

My private (Pickford) miniature venture: http://claminiatures.blogspot.com

Mar 2 2011, 09:45 PM #7

Was getting this one ready to paint as you annouced the challenge so thought I'd carry on as it fits the bill.

Great mini (or not so mini) as well, details are superb.

DukeoftheBloodKeep
Red Dragon

Mar 2 2011, 11:10 PM #8

Great work! Well done indeed!

clam
Hill Giant
clam
Hill Giant

Mar 28 2011, 09:38 PM #9

Almost done. Fighting some health issues here - so can only be allowed to sit down approx 2-3 hours a day - so not much time for painting. But do give it priority as my mental health is as important - as my physical.

All I really need to do now are some minor details like eyes, hooves, teeth etc. Think I can get it done in time - at an okay standard, too.

How about you guys - anyone (other than Bruenorodinson, of course) who have finished something for this, yet?

Collecting John Pickford

DukeoftheBloodKeep
Red Dragon

Mar 28 2011, 09:42 PM #10

Hope to get mine done tonight when I get home from work. Working way too much at the moment and can't get any painting done. Even when I have time off I need to do other things like fixing computers, phoning the phone company, going to the doctors etc, WHY CAN'T I JUST PAINT!!!!!

clam
Hill Giant
clam
Hill Giant

Mar 29 2011, 09:43 AM #11

Ate a handful of painkillers and I'm done, now:

The best Pickford sculpt I've painted so far. Looking so much forward getting my Eyes, now :D

Collecting John Pickford

anakeron
Stone Giant
anakeron
Stone Giant

Mar 29 2011, 10:49 AM #12

great job clam !

i hope to be just in time for the end of the month , my painting speed is as sluggish a usual ( hint, hint)

DukeoftheBloodKeep
Red Dragon

Mar 29 2011, 10:56 AM #13

Ah! I had forgotten this is what you were painting. When you said hooves I thought we might be painting the same mini!

Well done Clam, looks great and it's a great sculpt by John!

clam
Hill Giant
clam
Hill Giant

Mar 29 2011, 12:41 PM #14

Thanks, and no I'll leave it to you painting a donkey :P

And hooves probably ain't the right word - more elephant feet :)

Collecting John Pickford

DukeoftheBloodKeep
Red Dragon

Mar 29 2011, 01:19 PM #15

Ok, so, the colour is a little washed out, but I think you get the general idea here.

I loved this mini as soon as I saw it a couple of years back and now that I've painted it up I love it even more. I've been painting him on and off all month, doing a little bit every time I finished a commission model. The pose is very dynamic and I'm so glad I found a great base to mount him on.

Let me know what you guys think!

The Duke