Stinky's Tournement Army...

As one might expect, the ongoing threads recording the ongoing painting and converting of a member's army (or even individual models) can be found here. Feel free to add your own Blog, or offer your critique!

Moderators: Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull, jimbob1066e, Draig, WarbossKurgan, Snikpik

Stinky's Tournement Army...

10 Nov 2011, 21:53 #1

Hi,

You may have seen the thread in the Army List Forum called 'The Ultimate Tourney Army' (TUTA).
I tried to re-start the thread and build some interest to try and develop a competive tourney army. I really wanted lots of Generals to contribute but it didn't work out that way. I eventually found I was steering it too much which I didn't want to do so I thought I would just start my own thread and steer the list to my hearts content. :D
I have taken the list from the TUTA thread and added to it to make a list for a tourney I am going to this weekend. It is for 2400pts and there are 100 players so it will be a good test of the list. I hope to learn lots and improve it.
There is a comp of no more than 40 models or 450pts per unit.
The list...

Savage Orc Great Shamen General
L4, Lucky Shrunken Head, Fencers Blade, Obsidian Trinket 305
Black Orc Big Boss, BSB, Banner of Discipline, Shield, 132
Night Goblin Shaman, L1, Dispell Scroll, Ruby ring of Ruin, 100
Goblin Big Boss, Wolf, LA, Dragonhelm, Shield, GW, Potion of Foolhardiness, 70

37 Savage Orc Big'Uns, Command, AHW, 442
40 Night Goblins, Standard, Musician, Nets, 185
5 Wolf Riders, Standard, 60
5 Wolf Riders, 50

30 Squigs 10 Herders, 270
30 Squigs 10 Herders, 270
Wolf Chariot additional goblin, 55

2 Doom Divers 160
2 Rock Lobbas 170
2 Manglar Squigs 130

Total 2399

I've spent a bit of time building the army and I thought I would share a few photos along with the results of the tourneys and the things I learn.

So here's the army. Lets start with the characters.
First the General

and from the back...

The Battle Standard Bearer

on his effigy :D

The Night Goblin Shaman

Standing on a massive mushroom....not for Line of sight honest :cheese:

and finally the Goblin Big Boss

Well that's it for now.
I apologise the photos are not the best but I'm really not sure how to take good photos.

Please let me know your thoughts on the list. I already want to do some changes but the list has already been sent in so it's too late. More on that after the tourney.

Cheers

Stinky :D
AKA: Mr T "I 'ain't get'in' on no Doomdiver you crazy fool!"

Morten C
Warboss

10 Nov 2011, 22:40 #2

Hey mate.

Fine looking models you have. If you wanna take better photos here's the most important advice: Use indirect lighting. It's the easiest way to take better pics. Use white paper sheets or anything else to create a shadow shot in a good lighted room. Sometimes it's when you think the conditions are worst, they're actually best ;)

As for the list, it's fine I think. I'm not the biggest fan of all the expensive hordes though. I would rather have smaller hammer units (blackorcs, Savage Big 'uns, trolls etc), and big 30-40 cheap anvils(goblins, orcs). I'm sure they'll do fine though, I just like the flexibility of the other type of list better :)

My biggest problem with the list is probably that the main elite units are so fragile... I know they hit like ton of brigs, but they're terribly vulnerable to flank charges from chariots or monsters. They're very much designed for starting in horde formation right? so you'll have a hard time keeping them withing the BSB and general bubble? 4 big blogs, all with terrible LD. A chariot to the flank and you're stedfast on a 5 with the squigs unless he rolls bad. If you do this list i would suggest you go 5 or 6 wide with all units. Then you have the LD to deal with flank charges, and you can combat reform into hordes once in combat :) I know it gives you fewer attacks in the first round of combat, but you can't really afford taking the other chance, as it leaves a weak link IMO.

I don't get the standard on the wolf riders? Why not take a musician instead? Standards are to expensive to loose on a unit like that.

You have and excessive amount of warmachines as well. I know they are perfect for a lot of stuff, but they're not gonna do much against anything that isn't a gunline, giving you 2 rounds of shooting before you're in combat. Besides from that they're pretty easy points for any army with ambushers or who gets something through your battleline. Don't get me wrong. I think warmachines are great, but I think I would settle with one of each.

The Mangler squigs are perfect. They're gonna take a lot of firepower away from your fragile elite blocks.

The ruby ring on the shaman is okay, but it's only ten points less than upgradig him into a second level shaman. I think I would prefer that. Having +1 to cast and dispel for ten points is quite nice IMO. And I love the goblin spells ;)

Some things to think about :)
rat of vengence @ Nov 14 2011, 01:09 PM wrote:What one goblin cannot do, 50 can't either, but they last longer.

Thitanium Prince
Big Boss

11 Nov 2011, 09:40 #3

Nice models, I expecially like the shaman ^^
<<<<The eternal growing process of my Waaagh

My gallery on DeviantArt :D

mickkk666
Boss

11 Nov 2011, 11:13 #4

Nice models!

The list is ok,but I see a couple of things that IMO you shouldn't risk with them. The first one is to name the great shaman as your general. That can be a problem. LD9 with reroll is pretty cool, but your general's brain can explode or travelling to the chaos realm. Not nice stuff :S. Instead, you can include a cheap big boss.

Your BSB is kind of naked. I wouldn't go with a BSB without +4 ward. Just my opinion ;). Hope it helps!

Wazoo
Big Boss
Wazoo
Big Boss

11 Nov 2011, 11:25 #5

Nice models! What model is the shaman, it's not GW right? Very cool though!

Wazoo

Morten C
Warboss

11 Nov 2011, 13:38 #6

Wazoo @ Nov 11 2011, 11:25 AM wrote: Nice models! What model is the shaman, it's not GW right? Very cool though!

Wazoo
It's from avatars of war :)
rat of vengence @ Nov 14 2011, 01:09 PM wrote:What one goblin cannot do, 50 can't either, but they last longer.

Theorox
Waaagh!

11 Nov 2011, 18:18 #7

Hello Stinky, that's some cool stuff! I especially like the skin highlights (Especially especially on the shaman), they're so smooth and just...beautiful! :)

Theo

11 Nov 2011, 20:25 #8

@Morten C
Thank you for your comments. I have taken some more photos using what I think you mean by indirect light (I switched all the lights on and didn't use a flash). Are they any better?
You're absolutely right to worry about the steadfast on the big blocks. The N Gobbos will almost always be 5 wide 8 deep. Most other things deploy as a horde unless I'm opposite better fighters. Everything deploys very close never getting out of Leadership range. It's tight but I've played a few games and hopefully can manage it. I'll try and take some photos of my deployment this weekend to show how it turns out in practice. It could be a disaster, in which case I will definitely change things a little.
I too don't like the standard on the wolfies, but I needed another banner because game 1 is blood or glory. I will probably hide them all game :)
I have to disagree with you on the warmachines, they are cheap and can take out a lot of threats. In my last tourney they were incredible...possibly due to luck. Perhaps this is a taste thing.
You're right about the ruby ring, I would change it if I could. I thought I could use the N Goblin's extra mushroom on the bound spell. I was wrong and now wish I could have that 2nd level and spell...baaahhh!

@mickkk666
Yes the Shaman as a general is a risk, and the naked BSB is a risk, perhaps a risk too far. Having said that I haven't lost my general and BSB for a long time. I don't tend to fight things that are hard enough to kill them. I usually avoid those things or tie them up. If they perform poorly this weekend I will change it.

@Theorox, kind words but as you will see the rest of the army is a true refelection of my painting skills....average at best :)

Now for some more photos. The core are not painted to the standard I would like, they need a few more highlights but I want to post pics of how the army is at the moment. Then if the units prove good I will improve them.

The core

Wolfriders 1

Wolfriders 2

Night Goblins front

Savage Orc Big'Uns front...

...and with a slight angle.

More photos soon but probably not until next week because of the tourney this weekend.

Thanks for the comments

Cheers
Stinky :)

Kera Foehunter
Big Boss

11 Nov 2011, 20:57 #9

cool beans!!

I love the savage orcs and the little clumps of grass :wub: :wub:

Morten C
Warboss

11 Nov 2011, 23:41 #10

Glad you appreciated the advice :) I'll have to say that even though I love discussing rules and tactics I'm not very experienced with 8th edition, so I might he wrong about a lot of stuff :)

I do believe you'll have problems holding a high LD stedfast line, if there is just a single piece of terrain, but like you say, experience might be the best way to determine that :)

As for the banner, do you have a breakingpoint of 2 or 3 with a 2400pts army? Cauz really you have a general, a bsb and two banners beside the wolfs. If you only have a breaking point of 2 u think you'll be fine without the banner :)

I know warmachines are great, but two are the same price at 5 trolls. I think those could come more in handy, considering the rest of your army is so agressive. but it all cones down to whatever role you planning for them :)

Morten C
Warboss

11 Nov 2011, 23:46 #11

Oh, and as for the pics, It's definetely better, and the models are bloody cool!, but you need to create a shadow for the model to stand in. It can be done with some books or a piece of paper. It's just to make sure that the light isn't hitting the model from a distinct angle and thus causing shadows and bright spots. There are some great guides at coolminiornot.com you can use :)

Otherwise ill try to explain tomorrow, as I'm on a smartphone right now ;)

Wazoo
Big Boss
Wazoo
Big Boss

12 Nov 2011, 17:18 #12

Good looking models! I would have added another highlight to the goblins if I were you but otherwise they are real nice! Also I like the greenstuffed stones on the movement trays! Nice little detail!

Wazoo

14 Nov 2011, 19:58 #13

Back from the tournement and it's time to put up photos of the rest of the army. They come with a 'I rushed these models to take to a tourney' warning. However I intend to improve all the units that prove themselves in 'The ULtimate Tourney Army'.

Special
Chariot with extra Goblin...

...why oh why did I give it an extra Goblin?

Squig Herd 1

Squig Herd 2

Squig Herd 1 plan view

Mangler Squigs

Warmachines

Well thats the whole army as it stands. Will post pics as I improve and adapt. After the tourney this weekend some of the units are out and some need a tweak. Most of the changes I have thought about making have come from suggestions from this thread so cheers for that.

Next Post...... Game 1 of the Valhalla tourney in Portsmouth UK :)

Cheers

14 Nov 2011, 20:46 #14

This was the first ever Valhalla tournament. I was really pleased to see it advertised on TWF as there are so few tourneys close to where I live. I was even more pleased when I saw 100 people had signed up for it. This was to be my second Tourney with the the OnGs since I started playing with them again. My first was Cardiff Carnage and I enjoyed it so much I decided to keep going with them. The aim to make TUTA…
Game 1 (Blood and Glory) Vs Will Goodwin's Empire

L4 Shadow and L2 Light (both in 20 swordsmen)
War Alter, Engineer (10 Crossbowmen)
Pegasus Captain
Mounted BSB (10 Knights full command suspected magic resistance banner) Stank, 2 Cannons, Hellstorm Rocket Battery
3 units of 5 freecompany

Will is a good player, he has been the England ETC Captain and is regularly on the team and attends the UK masters each year. Suffice to say I was intimidated and I think it showed in my deployment….

..and his annoyingly good deployemnt....

(More to come soon)

swampy
Goblin
swampy
Goblin

14 Nov 2011, 23:01 #15

Hi i remember seeing your army at cardiff carnage i can say it looks awesome all those squigs are a fearsome sight! you got a good finish in the tournament if i remember rightly you were up on the top tables, i finished last but one which is good for me :D