How Does 9th Age Play?

This is the place for discussion about the fan-led Warhammer update.

How Does 9th Age Play?

14 Apr 2017, 15:37 #1

Can anyone comment on the similarities and differences between 8th Edition and 9th Age? Have been looking at the army list and rules, so already have an idea of army composition and general mechanics but what sort of gameplay do the rules encourage?

In 8th, the main game mechanic seemed to be rolling lots of dice. Random charge distance effectively decreased the amount of maneuvering space on the board, while the thousands of attacks getting tossed around tended to negate static combat resolution, much decreasing the value of banners or outflanking. Magic was less predictable than my night goblins.

At this point, my memory of the game has likely grown worse than my actual experience but if anyone can tell how 9th improved matters, I'd be grateful. Also, what happened to war machines?

Thanks!

okkel
Orc

14 Apr 2017, 17:27 #2

Movement: Generally as in 8th though the rules are more clear and thing like double flee have been nurfed. If you have a champion you are guaranteed a minumum of 4 on your charge role so no more ridiculous unlucky charge rolls.

Magic: The game winning spells are gone and miscast really hurts if you use a lot of dice so it is now more a matter of several smaller boosts. Still very relewant but it is possible to win a tournament without any spellcasters.

Shooting: Templates are gone and canons and boltthrowers changed. Warhamchines are still good but small arms fire can now compete. Their stats are changed to ~T4 W6 so they cannot be one shot by canons but can actually be destroyed by crossbow fire.

And most important:
Balance: The balance is hugely improved. Sure not everything is spot on but no armies are hopelessly behind and i think at least 90% of all army book entries are relevant and very few things are so good that they are auto include.

Generally it is slightly less random, more balanced, and with less unclear rules, though the cost are quite some rules that almost never come into play and probably a small loss of charm.

okkel
Orc

15 Apr 2017, 08:09 #3

I forgot the other part of the question: Playstyle

-Playing Magic the Gathering with warhammer miniatures are out.
-Deathstar hammer might not be completely gone but are much harder to pull off.
-Gunlines stil work but are less comon, especially since the have a hart time with many scenarios.
-Avoidance can still be seen but have been nerfed somewhat.
-Monster mash was huge but have become less frequent since v. 1.3 they are however still quite common.
-Battleship hammer with ~3 powerful units and support have grown and quite comon.
-MSU (many small units) are seem to be trendy right now also with armies that never did it before.
-MMU (many medium units) are seen with some armies.

16 Apr 2017, 03:42 #4

Good to know. Will have to try it out.

okkel
Orc

16 Apr 2017, 03:52 #5

Yes you should surely do that. What I wrote is anyway what I see where I play (and on the internet) the meta might be different in your area.

amplebob
Big Boss

17 Apr 2017, 11:06 #6

9thage is a great game. It's not perfect, but it's a seriously good effort to turn warhammer into something even more enjoyable. It still requires good list building, but it's a little more forgiving when the lists are not mismatched. The scenarios always give you something to play for. I really enjoy it. You should definitely try it.
Forest gobling Blog - The Creeping Fang:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_ ... 3&st=0&hl=

04 May 2017, 11:39 #7

I think there was a video on Youtube that was really helpful.