Guide To Fighting The Lizardmen (8th Ed.)

Here we have a collection of threads covering various tactics for battling against specifc enemy armies.

Moderators: Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull, Draig, Goomb, Theorox, Groznit Goregut

Guide To Fighting The Lizardmen (8th Ed.)

Airtruck
Big Boss

17 Jul 2010, 20:35 #1

Got tips and strategies that work well against the Lizardmen? Share them here with other warlords! Since the release of the new 8th edition, the game has changed a great deal and new tactics must be developed and discussed in order for da greenskins to crump ‘em good!
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.

Zorfie
Snotling
Zorfie
Snotling

23 Jul 2010, 00:44 #2

In our league there is going to be a Lizzie killer army of 2 Slann, 2 big saurus units, 2 temple guard units, and the typical slamander/skink/terradon support crud.

I have absolutely no idea what to do against this army. they fight very well, are hard to kill in meaningful numbers, don't care if they lose, and have battle winning magic.

Any help?

Trollhoer
Orc

25 Jul 2010, 12:44 #3

2 slann's won't be much better than a single slann. There won't be enough dice around for them both, and a single slann usually knows a full lore of spells so it's not like he needs to have more of them. What's that, 3000 points for him? If not, the units are not "big" and the slanns are not equipped properly.

A level 4 night goblin shaman with the sneaky stealin' staff, along with the spirit totem will be more than enough to keep you safe (most of the times you'll have more dice than him). Saurus warriors are worse this edition, hit them in the front with your orc boyz, then flank him with something hard hitting.

Use doom divers and artillery to take out temple guards until the saurus are dead, then engage them if you think you're going to win. Just remember that they're the only unit he's got that can carry a magical banner, so watch out for Banner of Eternal Flame if you're running trolls. :)
Please check out Troll Tales, my blog about Orcs & Goblins.
http://trollhoer.blogspot.com

05 Aug 2010, 04:39 #4

It is absolutely imperative that you have staff of sneaky stealing , idol of mork and possibly the hex scroll. If not you can kiss your orcs goodbye becuase sure enough hell have access to 2 full lores and if hes really smart then hell have added items to boost his power dice..... "Dis wun's gnna urt..." id probably crap myself every time his magic phase begins... :(
Da only gud stunty iz a dead stuny an da only ting bettr' den a dead stunty is a dyin stunty who tellz yer where ta find iz mates! --Morglum necksnapper

rikit
Goblin
rikit
Goblin

09 Aug 2010, 06:13 #5

odds are on that he will be using one of his slann to make a life star. This involves using the lore of life to make the slann and temple guard he is with the biggest tarpit ever. Avoid it at all costs! What you eventually manage to kill will be braought back to life again.

On the subject of you having more dice than them, I would not count on it. If they are going that heavy on magic both slann will have the focus of rumination, giving them a free power dice for every spell they attempt to cast. This means that you are going to have to be really careful about what spells you let through and which ones need dispelling.

I think one of the best things to do against new lizard men is to try and get a good base magic defence and then pour lots of points in to boys and a few killy black orc charaters. This is going to be a massive war of attrition and the best way for an orc to win is by having more bodies than the enemy.

Also if they run the life star then a unit of trolls might be able to hold them up for a while.

Just my thoughts on it

New book

W-7
D-2
L-4

whosbasil
Goblin

14 Jun 2011, 03:44 #6

Woh, way to be pessimistic! Now I'm freaking out ahead of my 1000pt on Saturday. Oh well, we're both such noobs that I just need to hope that he's not able to make the most of his army.

I'll also have to grab some magic items, though on these sort of forums, people never seem to be talking about a 1000pt army, its more often so much more.

I'll work it out. I love these forums and the knowledge contained within. :)
Da Basil

"Oi git? Why iz da Night Gobboz da only gits wot get ta wear cloaks?" - Grotskin Axe-gut (army general)

"ate dis boss-man" - Brot Shadow-thrower (the night gobbo Shaman that runs the show)

New player in 8th edition, 2000 pts of army models

Wins - 5
Draws - 0
Losses - 3

snaking6
Snotling
snaking6
Snotling

15 Feb 2012, 18:05 #7

NEED HELP!

I am fighting a lizardmen army but I only have night goblins (spearmen, archers and wizards), 1 unit of 10 spider riders and 1 troll.

game is 1000 points.

any advice?

have now added 18 orc boyz to the mix and 1 orc big boss

Gradolt
Goblin

12 Apr 2012, 15:29 #8

You should be ok with that! Lizardmen are really strong because the can field the Slann in bigger games (General, BSB, best wizard in the game, protected by tough temple guards).

In 1000 pts games, you should concentrate on heavy shooters like salamanders, chameleon. Spiders could be good againts toughness 4 saurus... but you should charge on the side.

You should get a orc shaman though... we need strong magic to crack nuts like saurus packs.

But I have a question regarding this. We did a 2000 pts game yesterday and I cannot find any way that I could kill the Temple Guard, Life Slann deathstar. I double charged him on turn 4 (Normal orcs big uns, 2HW + 5 Trolls), and while he was rezzing his models with Life magic (Boosting Toughness, Regen etc...) I kept winning combats but I couldn't kill the unit before the end...

Should I just ignore this unit and try to get points elsewhere?

Thank you!

enur
Snotling
enur
Snotling

27 May 2012, 11:08 #9

Okay, i just had a game vs the lizards yesterday and managed to wipe him completely off the battlefield, except for 10 skirmishers who was still hiding in a
forest out on the flank :)
My opponents prime unit was 36 temple guard with a Slann with lore of life.
I think that the key to taking it down was actually rather simple. With such an
expensive unit i had many more units than him wich gave me a headstart already
during the deployment. I was able to isolate his deathstar by using my much beloved fast cavalry :wub:
The unit was of course hard to kill but i got both my wyvern warboss, my giant, my small sguig herd, and my 2 trolls charged into the unit at one time. the fact that i was able to lock his unit ensured that he could´nt gain much of an advantage from going horde :D
The thunderstomps from the giant and wyvern really helped alot.
I also focused my dispells on flesh to stone as that one would render all my high strengt attacks rather useless.
It took 3 turns to kill all of the unit, but against that type of army you are almost sure to win if you take the unit down. After all, skinks aint really that hard to kill(gotta love tougness 2) :D
My conclusion is that you simply have to charge tons of units in at once to bug the it down, since that we dont have a single unit that is able to take it on in a straight up fight. Oh, and a gobbo shammy with sneaky stabbin is well worth it :)
So the key to defeating the lifestar is simply to take advantage of our numerous units.

Hope that some of this is useful to some of you :) (and sorry for the wall of text :mellow: )

immortalzrule
Snotling

28 Jan 2014, 22:26 #10

Yeah I cant defeat the Lizards. I have tried so many times and i cant beat them :badgobbo: . So i run a 30 man SOBU horde AHW, 30 NGs, 2 giants, 2 chukkas, 6 trolls, 1 DD, Blorc WB, SOGS w/ lucky head, NGS, 10 wolves (2 units), 1 mangler. 2400 pts. All he has is 4 units of 10 sk. squirms, 1 unit of 5 chamealons, a Bastilidon, ancient steg, 3 terra, 3 rippers, skink chief on ripper, slan, tettoeko with 10 skink cohort, and a salamander or two and a 30 man unit of suarus that he brings out when the chaff a shot my army to bits. often time he doesnt even need that unit or the monsters.
I have tried going up the middle to kill the suarus with my deathstar SOBU horde, i have tried out shooting him with bows, chukkas, DDs ect. but still i fail. His poison is devastating he take out WM with ease. poison should not work against wood and scrap metal warmachines. I would try to kill all his chaff first but i dont know how they are numerous and fast i cant take one out with out having 4 more to worry about and without getting flanked/reared by rippers or terradons. Also as soon as i charge them they flee and thanks to cold blooded rally easily. anyone know what strategy i should have going into the battle and what tactics i should employ. :blink: should i give more info?
"LOOKS LIKE MEATS BACK ON THE MENU BOYZ!"
A proud member of The Holy Hammers

The Bag
Orc

29 Jan 2014, 09:50 #11

this is where pumpwagons are golden. As they are random movers the damned poison skinks don't get a charge reaction. use the wagon to clear a flank. two if you like, if you can add spiky roller and the outrigga.

use your chaff to make sure he can't deploy close to your warmachines or behind your lines.
go as far as using your warmachines to clear the chaff skinks, it feels like a waste but it's not, it buys you an extra round of shooting. Rmember, skinks are low leadership, but cold blooded, it is possible to panic them off the table.

Deploy way back, set up a defensive wall for your machines, negate the poison by providing cover. Use wolves with sheilds to hit the little bastards.

once the skinks are cleared, target the wizards, with everything. if he's in a unit use your machines to kill the monsters.

beware of the walking boltthrowers, I have no idea how to deal with them.
Painting table: 2 modified BFSP trolls, 2 river troll ogre amalgams and 30 woody archers

Broxnor
Snotling
Broxnor
Snotling

24 Jul 2015, 12:32 #12

Hi, I'm new to O&G but I have been playing 8th for a while, I know it's kinda late to ask since Age of Sigmar is out but me and my brother are still into 8th and he plays lizardmen, I would like some tips and some dirty secrets on how to smash his Lizardmen since I've only won once with my skaven vsing him.

The aim of points is about 1000 - 1300.

Here's what he has, Tetto'eko, a slann, 10 temple guards, 20 saruas warriors Hand weapons and Shields, 20 saruas warriors spears and shields, 10 skinks blowpipes, 10 skinks javelins and shields, a bastilation, 3 Terradon riders and 5 cold one riders.

I'm still waiting for most of my army to come but what I have got ordered is.

The Warboss set, 3 boxes of orc boys, 2 boxes of boar boys, 2 boxes of savage orcs and a great shaman.
What I was thinking of doing is having Sword and shield for the orc boys and make them big'ins, maybe bows with the savage orcs but also thinking 2 hand weapons would be better, spears and shield for the boar boys while having a warboss on a boar and a bsb orc boss in the big'ins.

BorkBork
Waaagh!

25 Jul 2015, 13:03 #13

If he is using tetto + Slann at that point level, you should punch him in the face....with a brick.
abuk @ Apr 8 2011, 01:38 PM wrote: TThat's cause You're BonapORK and not BonapNIGHTGOBLINLUNATIC ;D
......Borks pile of lead (army blog)

Broxnor
Snotling
Broxnor
Snotling

10 Aug 2015, 21:23 #14

Ok, my game with my brother is tomorrow for a 1500pt game.. his list is this.

Tetto'eko = 185pts
Scar Vet - magic items: Gamblers Armour & Luckstone( Heavy armour 6 ward save & one use reroll armour save) BSB 130pts
Skink Preist level 1 - dis scroll - mount on ancient steg EOG (mount points onto steg) 90pts
Saurus h/s 24 with banner and musician ( scar vet going in here) 284 pts
Saurus Spears 24 with full cmd - 294pts
Skink Skirms 12 - 84pts
Skink Skirms 12 - 84pts
Ancient Steg with Engine of Gods (priest mounted) - Sharpened horns upgrade - 300 pts
He has got a slann but he hasn't made it yet and has 10 Temple guards waiting for it as well as a Bastiladon & 3 Terradon Riders & 5 cold one riders but his not fielding them.

What I have to pick from is not much, I only got 33 boy orcs, 30 savage orcs, 10 boar boys, 1 warboss on boar, 1 orc shaman and one orc boss BSB, I know it's short timed but I didn't fully know what he was taking till today, so I'm posting this for future games with him.
I'm also going to be getting 6 stone trolls and about 60 normal goblins soon with 20-30 black orcs along with 1-3 spear chukkas, also thinking ether to get the rock lobber first or doom diver, I'm also torn between picking Gorbad Ironclaw or Grimgor Ironhide as my first named char choice.