Zappa fans? haha check this out

Zappa fans? haha check this out

July 11th, 2007, 8:20 pm #1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cNJy-OgCzB0

pretty funny....zappa on the monkees

July 11th, 2007, 9:18 pm #2

....but I'm sure it's great. Zappa's awesome- why didn't you mention that you liked him before? That earns you big points with me. What albums of his have you heard?

July 11th, 2007, 10:14 pm #3

haha just kidding

We're only in it for the money and Freak out are the only ones I've actually heard, owning the latter. I'm reluctant to go more steps further into zappa'ness though, only cause I love good melodies and he's not the man (imo) to go to for that.

The video is him and Michael Nesmith pretending to be eachother by dressing up and acting funny. They bash on eachother alot haha its great, and Nesmith pretends to be drugged out and dirty lol whilst Zappa rags on the monkees songwriting. good stuff!

July 11th, 2007, 10:36 pm #4

"Let's Make The Water Turn Black" (off Only In It For The Money- which you MUST acquire, and become more familier with) has one of the best pop melodies ever, IMO!

The melodies on "Freak Out" are slightly weaker, if only because most of it parodies different styles, which means the melodies have to be somewhat traditional. Also, side 4 of the double album set ("Help, I'm A Rock"- "Son Of The Return Of Monster Magnet") has practically NO conventional music, let alone melody- but man, what innovation! To think that it was released in '66 is mind-blowing! Light-years ahead of its time.

Anyway, I'd suggest that, in addition to actually PURCHASING "Only In It For The $" and FULLY ABSORBING IT TIL YOU KNOW IT BY HEART, you AT LEAST check out "Absolutely Free" and "Roxy & Elsewhere" as well as some of Zappa's more intrumental composition-dominated albums, such as "Burnt Weeny Sandwich", "Hot Rats" "Uncle Meat", and "The Grand Wazoo".

July 12th, 2007, 1:27 am #5

We're only in it for the money is only available as an import. Can, I don mind as Ege Bamyashi is not available on my fave site for downloads. Might download Zappa.

July 12th, 2007, 2:26 am #6

I'll give zappa more listens, just for you pugeye
Last edited by EmmettSherlock on July 12th, 2007, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 12th, 2007, 3:02 am #7

We're only in it for the money is only available as an import. Can, I don mind as Ege Bamyashi is not available on my fave site for downloads. Might download Zappa.
....just follow my handy guide, and you'll be fine.

July 12th, 2007, 3:04 am #8

and that was 1967..a week before sgt pepper i believe..

very innovative...

that's defiently my favourite zappa song..

unfortuantly, i don't really like all that much of his other stuff..

we're only in it for the money is really great..

and a few other songs here and there..bobby brown goes down..

that's hilarious!

July 12th, 2007, 3:04 am #9

...and you'll like it, too!

Seriously, though- I'm glad you're not writing Zappa off just yet. Yeah, he was a weirdo, and a lot of his music's pretty complicated, but he also had a pop sensibility, and could write some damn catchy tunes.

July 12th, 2007, 3:07 am #10

and that was 1967..a week before sgt pepper i believe..

very innovative...

that's defiently my favourite zappa song..

unfortuantly, i don't really like all that much of his other stuff..

we're only in it for the money is really great..

and a few other songs here and there..bobby brown goes down..

that's hilarious!
Beats me. More like several songs, or a suite.

Whatever. Many people agree that "Brown Shoes" is the ultimate Zappa track, and I'm hard pressed to argue, although it may not be the best place to start.

"We're Only In It For The Money" is great indeed. My 3rd favorite album ever.