What the ***

What the ***

July 5th, 2007, 10:50 am #1

Anybody got something (good ) to say about the "Pet Sounds" album by the Beach Boys ? I mean, what is that stuff ??????? And it's supposed to be one of the seminal albums from the sixties, maaaan

July 5th, 2007, 12:42 pm #2

-

July 5th, 2007, 8:52 pm #3

Anybody got something (good ) to say about the "Pet Sounds" album by the Beach Boys ? I mean, what is that stuff ??????? And it's supposed to be one of the seminal albums from the sixties, maaaan
It's a well written album, but the songs are kinda repetitive and don't differ too much from one another. Makes me only listen to a handful of songs off the album, but the songs I DO listen I really like . I enjoy Thats Not Me, Wouldn't It Be Nice, God Only knows, Hang on to your ego and I know theres an answer are really good, plus one or two others I forgot about. Not a lifechaning album for me though

July 6th, 2007, 3:42 am #4

Check out Today! or Summer Days (and Summer Nights). Or Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions and Wild Honey. Heck! Even Smiley Smile in all its demented glory is good.

July 6th, 2007, 6:06 am #5

It's a well written album, but the songs are kinda repetitive and don't differ too much from one another. Makes me only listen to a handful of songs off the album, but the songs I DO listen I really like . I enjoy Thats Not Me, Wouldn't It Be Nice, God Only knows, Hang on to your ego and I know theres an answer are really good, plus one or two others I forgot about. Not a lifechaning album for me though
I dare say it's much like sex - with this album. Sex, as you, probably, know is awfully boring and repetitive and yet there's hardly any man that doesn't like it.

July 6th, 2007, 6:08 am #6

Check out Today! or Summer Days (and Summer Nights). Or Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions and Wild Honey. Heck! Even Smiley Smile in all its demented glory is good.
But Beach Boys are repetitive not in songs but as a group of men. Surely, they are like a small group of absolutely identical clones or something, much like in an average shooter or something.

July 6th, 2007, 7:47 am #7

i love it!

July 6th, 2007, 9:54 am #8

Aw, come on. Don judge Pet Sounds by other people's praises. Hear it with your own ears.

Then again, isn't all music repetitive? They just go in a certain chord cycle and the cycle repeats. Verses repeat, choruses repeat. Unless you're into avant garde stuff where there are a few hundred chords in a song. Nah, on second thoughts you better not. I heard some and it's a nightmare.

Hell, even songs without a tonal centre (doesn't follow the chord scale) sound shitty. The only guy who made tonal centre-less songs sound good was a certain John Winston Lennon (check out The Beatles' I call your name or I'm so tired).

July 6th, 2007, 4:47 pm #9

I dare say it's much like sex - with this album. Sex, as you, probably, know is awfully boring and repetitive and yet there's hardly any man that doesn't like it.
hah
Last edited by EmmettSherlock on July 6th, 2007, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2007, 5:16 pm #10

First of all, try to ignore the hype. This is an album that is often referred to as THE BEST ALBUM IN POP MUSIC HISTORY. Forget about all that.

Second of all, the album is obviously pretty different from any of the stuff The Beach Boys released before and after it came out, so don't compare it to other Beach Boys albums. It's more like a Brian Wilson solo album, so maybe you should think about it that way.

Now, realize that the album may take some time to get into for other reasons- mainly, the lyrics are depressing and introspective, and the songs all share the same "Phil Specter goes baroque" arrangement/production. So yeah, I can see how it can seem "repetitive"- but it's essentially a "concept album", or at least an album that attempts to create a consistant mood, so there's a reason for the relative "sameness" of the songs.

Bear with me for a moment: a bit about the "hype". In terms of both composition and arrangement, "Pet Sounds" is about as complex and sophisticated as "pop" music gets. 40 years have gone by, and nothing else has been able to touch it in those areas. Also, it was practically ignored upon its release, despite the fact that it towered above all of the popular releases of the time, in terms of maturity.

As what I've said might imply, I appreciate and respect the album more than I actually enjoy it. It takes awhile to get into, and no level of sophistication can disguise the fact that it's still The Beach Boys, and The Beach Boys are ALWAYS a little cheesey (although that's part of their charm, IMO.). Just like with any album that's tough to get into, let yourself latch on to some of the more accessible songs ("God Only Knows", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", etc.)- it may ease the other tracks into your favor. Just give it time, and remember that it's an album that must be listened to and criticized on its own terms.

Good luck.