Is Syd Barrett really a genius?

Is Syd Barrett really a genius?

July 22nd, 2006, 9:48 am #1

I'm not saying that Syd wasn't a good song writer, he was. But lets look at the full picture here. He only really made one great album, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. His solo albums contain some good melodies but lack any drive or ambition to fully realise their potential. Because he is widely known as being the first "acid casualty" he now has this mythical status that has nothing to do with the music he made and stopped making in the very early 1970's. I was sad to hear that Syd had died but the amount of press attention that this is getting in England is ludicrous.Far more talented writers and musicians have died recently and received very little praise for what they achieved. Syd Barrett wasn't a genius, just a good songwriter that burnt out at a tragic young age.

July 22nd, 2006, 4:46 pm #2

It doesn't matter, man. what is a genius? you just make it up as you go along. You could easily say yes he was a genius, listen to "Jugband Blues". Or you could argue "would a genius take that many drugs"? It doesn't matter. Just listen to the music, and dig it, or don't dig it. That's all you can do.

July 23rd, 2006, 3:25 am #3

I'm not saying that Syd wasn't a good song writer, he was. But lets look at the full picture here. He only really made one great album, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. His solo albums contain some good melodies but lack any drive or ambition to fully realise their potential. Because he is widely known as being the first "acid casualty" he now has this mythical status that has nothing to do with the music he made and stopped making in the very early 1970's. I was sad to hear that Syd had died but the amount of press attention that this is getting in England is ludicrous.Far more talented writers and musicians have died recently and received very little praise for what they achieved. Syd Barrett wasn't a genius, just a good songwriter that burnt out at a tragic young age.
Syd is overhyped more because of the subsequent popularity of Pink Floyd than because of his own merits, IMO. There's something appealing about a tragic but brilliant figure who was once involved in a very successful band.

July 23rd, 2006, 4:02 pm #4

...something appealing about the ones that were "lost", either if it is to death (Jim Morrisson, Nick Drake, Jimi Hendrix et al) or to "insanity" like Syd. I'm not saying that these guys weren't (aren't) worthy of attention, but there's certainly a hype.

Another question: Would PF have become so successful if Syd had stayed in the band?

July 30th, 2006, 4:15 am #5

i think they would have had some level of popularity....many 60s bands did ok for themselves in the 70s

but they would not have sold 25 million albums like that...

syd was too much of a goof....

still i would have prefered to see pink floyd with syd as a leader in the 70s...i think they would have done some interesting things...i dont think the madcap laughs is much of an indication what pink floyd would have done if Syd had stayed healthy......maybe the acoustic would have been more prominant...

September 10th, 2006, 7:30 am #6

...something appealing about the ones that were "lost", either if it is to death (Jim Morrisson, Nick Drake, Jimi Hendrix et al) or to "insanity" like Syd. I'm not saying that these guys weren't (aren't) worthy of attention, but there's certainly a hype.

Another question: Would PF have become so successful if Syd had stayed in the band?
If Syd would have been allowed to stay with PF their music would have been entirely different and classics like Animals and The Wall never would have happened. Those albums were at least partially inspired by what happened to Syd.

Well why don't you just get rid of Harold?

Because of the enormous commercial possibilities should he succeed.