History of Pop Music

History of Pop Music

January 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm #1

Hello everyone,

I have a pupil I am giving musical lessons. Every once in a while I give to him a CD that is supposed to cover a certain genre from its beginnings up to now. The idea is that he should become familiar with the development of a style. (I posted a similar request concerning my folk CD here and got some good replies.)

This time the subject is pop, as in "commercial, catchy, listenable, melodious" etc. and opposed to "aggressive, raucous, raw, distorted" etc. I try to avoid really bad stuff like "Middle of the Road: Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep, Cheep" or "Los Del Rio: Macarena" even if that is not be entirely possible. Instead I am aiming more at "quality pop", which might be a contradictio in adjecto to some extent.

Anyway, here is a preliminary draft of a compilation. Any suggestions / additions / omissions are quite welcome.

Best wishes,
Joey

1954 The Chords Sh-Boom Doo Wop
1957 The Everly Brothers Bye Bye Love Rock'n'Roll
1963 The Beatles I Want to Hold Your Hand Beat
1970 Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water Folk Pop
1974 Sweet Fox On The Run Glam Rock
1976 ABBA Dancing Queen Disco
1981 Foreigner Urgent Power Pop
1985 Sade The Sweetest Taboo Jazz Pop
1986 Madonna Papa Don't Preach Pop
1995 Take That Back For Good Boy Group
1996 Spice Girls Wannabe Girl Group
2008 Lady Gaga Poker Face Pop

January 4th, 2012, 4:14 pm #2

I would suggest omitting that Spice Girls song, as I definitely don't see it as "quality pop".
Last edited by CloseToTheEdge on January 4th, 2012, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 4th, 2012, 4:54 pm #3

I see your point but as I said quality pop is kind of a contradiction ... I mean, are they so much worse than ABBA? OK, maybe they are, maybe I should omit that one. On the other hand, the nineties were the time of the girl groups and it would be nice to have an example of it, wouldn't it?

Just to make it clear, I'm no fan of the Spice Girls, by no means. The same holds for most bands / artists on the list. This is what makes it difficult for me to compile a good CD.

Last edited by HajoKeffer on January 4th, 2012, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 4th, 2012, 5:04 pm #4

I would suggest omitting that Spice Girls song, as I definitely don't see it as "quality pop".
After some consideration I agree with you that they are probably the worst on the list. Thanks for pointing that out.

January 5th, 2012, 3:31 am #5

Hello everyone,

I have a pupil I am giving musical lessons. Every once in a while I give to him a CD that is supposed to cover a certain genre from its beginnings up to now. The idea is that he should become familiar with the development of a style. (I posted a similar request concerning my folk CD here and got some good replies.)

This time the subject is pop, as in "commercial, catchy, listenable, melodious" etc. and opposed to "aggressive, raucous, raw, distorted" etc. I try to avoid really bad stuff like "Middle of the Road: Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep, Cheep" or "Los Del Rio: Macarena" even if that is not be entirely possible. Instead I am aiming more at "quality pop", which might be a contradictio in adjecto to some extent.

Anyway, here is a preliminary draft of a compilation. Any suggestions / additions / omissions are quite welcome.

Best wishes,
Joey

And I have to say there are tons, tons of better examples than anything by Foreigner. Pick a hit by Tom Petty ("American Girl") or Cheap Trick ("Surrender") instead.

January 5th, 2012, 7:26 am #6

Well, yeah, you're probably right. I'm going to change that. Thanks.

January 5th, 2012, 10:26 am #7

Hello everyone,

Best wishes,
Joey

... with that rock / pop distinction you make there. But then that question is probably already beaten to death, so I won't touch it. I just remember reading a hilarious interview with Alan McGee in which he seriously claimed that the principal difference between Oasis and Blur is that the first is a rock band and the second is a pop band. That was rather funny.

And no, 'quality pop' is a perfectly fine thing, that I can tell you. It just that 'quality pop' doesn't sell. But a record like, say, Grant McLennan's 'Horsebreaker Star' is certainly pop music (where 'pop' means 'potentially popular in a better world').

Well, anyway, you might want to add an adult contemporary song to your list (10CC's "I'm Not In Love" would be the obvious choice). Also, would you consider stuff like twee pop or indie pop? I could see why you wouldn't, but still.

January 5th, 2012, 1:36 pm #8

10 cc is a very good idea. Thanks. I'll be considering twee pop, but I'm not sure whether it fits in with the rest.

Trung
Trung

January 6th, 2012, 2:14 am #9

Hello everyone,

Best wishes,
Joey

I probably have some Kinks who are my favourite pop rock group

Waterloo sunset, shangri-la etc. Basically any song from Face To Face to Arthur would count as quality pop for me. Lola is also a good choice

Hollies - would you believe is a great song

Some of The Rolling Stones songs from their brit pop era such as "Let's spend the night together" and "ruby Tuesday" are some good example of quality pop.

Zombies She's Not There and basically anything from Odessey and Oracles. Great piano pop

Blur are another good example. For Tomorrow is a good choice. Anything from Modern Life Is Rubbish to The Great Escape is quality pop. I'm also tempted to place Beetlebum from their self title album as well. Mixed britpop with a bit of psychedelia and a bit of indie rock, although I guess that's not pure pop.

Oasis songs like Wonderwall, don't look back in anger

What about some Beach Boys like I get around, california girls. Some good surf pop. Why not some songs from Pet Sounds and the smile sessions. It shows that pop music can be artsy as well. THe idea that pop music must be shallow kind of offends me.

Something from Fleetwood Mac's Rumours which is probably one of the more famous pure pop albums there is.

I love California Dreaming by Mamas and Papas

Small Faces - Itchycoo Park, Here Comes The Nice. A bit of psychedelic pop there.

Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn Turn Turn

What about some songs from Velvet Underground loaded album. Such as Sweet Jane, Who loves the sun, Cool it down.

Trung
Trung

January 6th, 2012, 3:31 am #10

Neil Finn is basically the successor of Paul McCartney. Definitely not as experimental or complex as some of Paul Mccartney classic but he's master the hooks.

Something like Don't Dream It's Over, Fall At your feet is good. the Recurring dreams best of is a good starter there

Maybe Every move you make by the police is a good example of adult contempory pop as well.