George, has your opinion on any bands changed....

George, has your opinion on any bands changed....

November 10th, 2011, 6:15 pm #1

...since you've started reviewing again? Do you still hate Kansas, Kiss, and The Sweet? Do you not like any bands you used to like?

November 10th, 2011, 8:06 pm #2

The crimes they have committed against humanity are impardonable.

I never really hated Sweet as such - "Ballroom Blitz" is fantastic. It's just that the concept of the Sweet has resulted in lots of early and late-period misfires. But I haven't listened to those in a long time, maybe I'd like some of them more now.

As for Kiss, well... I catch myself every now and then watching some of the early stuff on Youtube. 'Deuce' is fabulous when it's done well. I'd probably up those old ratings half a point each, or so. But not by much.

Mr. X
Mr. X

November 30th, 2011, 11:50 pm #3

...about Kansas. I admit, they are very derivative unlike their progressive rock superiors such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, and Jethro Tull (all of which I would give 4-star artist ratings). And they take their music way too seriously, when they shouldn't. Admittedly, though, that's part of the appeal to bands like Kansas and Uriah Heep - it's when they make fools of themselves when they try to be too serious. Their only major saving graces would be the occasional catchiness (especially 'Carry On My Wayward Son'; I've listened to it 3 times just this morning!)

Please, don't peg me as one of the many who only enjoy music that is as complicated as it gets. After all, my favourite Beatles' album used to be <b>Please Please Me</b>. I guess my only problem that won't allow me to dislike such prog bands is, no matter how much they suck, they're never "generic" sounding. It's pretty hard to imitate another prog band's sound like 100%. What I <i>do</i> hate is generic heavy metal. I mean, seriously, is it me or do all modern metal bands sound the f***ing same? At least Kansas and the Heepsters had different sounding vocalists (even if David Byron kind of sounds like a weaker Ian Gillan, which actually makes them derivative of classic metal instead, but whatever).

December 2nd, 2011, 4:05 pm #4

in that their cheesiness is a part of their appeal, not just to me but other, bigger fans of them. I've never liked Kansas at all aside from Carry on Wayward Son and Point of Know Return. I almost forgot to add that I once read where Ken Hensley said that Uriah Heep was always a "stupid band", meaning that they didn't take themselves as seriously as George often thinks.
Last edited by bullfrogking on December 2nd, 2011, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.