July 7th, 2008, 5:07 pm #1

07.07.2008. The Beach Boys: In My Room

They always like to compare this with the Beatles' 'There's A Place', for obvious reasons - both songs were released the same year from "promising" young bands, both dealt with the issue of escapism and finding an asylum. However, the songs catch their creators in rather different moods: the Beatles' song represents a cheerful and upbeat vision of the proceedings, Brian Wilson's baby is slower, moodier, more introspective and, in general, an obvious sign of things-to-come from his creative peak. Historically, it's a coincidence - the Beatles could be moody when prompted, and the Beach Boys could be merry and gay at any minute - but still, it sort of places the Beatles at a disadvantage here, as they seem to approach this "serious" topic with lighter heads than might be deemed appropriate. Not that 'In My Room' is really a piece of genius: its melody is trivial and derivative, the vocal arrangements are still in an infant age, and the lyrics are, well... let's just say stuff got more interesting when they teemed up with Van Dyke Parks. But even though technically it's just "pretty", it is still a great breakthrough for American pop music as a whole - here's a level of sincerity and self-penetration almost unheard of on the stage before, and coming from whom? A guy barely out of his teens and having practically nothing to do with the regular hit-generating machine of the times. And it still shows today - listening to this, you can feel the excitement that must have reigned in the studio when they were cutting this, easily the greatest declaration of artistic freedom in the 'light pop' area up till then.

July 8th, 2008, 1:40 am #2

I just like to remind everyone he co-wrote this one with Brian.

July 9th, 2008, 12:14 pm #3

i really don't respond to any of van dyke park's lyrics. the smile lyrics were ahead of their time and i guess someone had to do that eventually. but i really like the sincere simplicity of the lyrics on pet sounds. i just wasn't made for these times, for instance, has a lyric that i really respond to. i actually think that's one of brian's greatest songs.

July 10th, 2008, 1:36 pm #4

For 'Please let Me Wonder' off 'Today'. That just me though

July 10th, 2008, 3:49 pm #5

my favourite on today.

July 10th, 2008, 6:54 pm #6

07.07.2008. The Beach Boys: In My Room

They always like to compare this with the Beatles' 'There's A Place', for obvious reasons - both songs were released the same year from "promising" young bands, both dealt with the issue of escapism and finding an asylum. However, the songs catch their creators in rather different moods: the Beatles' song represents a cheerful and upbeat vision of the proceedings, Brian Wilson's baby is slower, moodier, more introspective and, in general, an obvious sign of things-to-come from his creative peak. Historically, it's a coincidence - the Beatles could be moody when prompted, and the Beach Boys could be merry and gay at any minute - but still, it sort of places the Beatles at a disadvantage here, as they seem to approach this "serious" topic with lighter heads than might be deemed appropriate. Not that 'In My Room' is really a piece of genius: its melody is trivial and derivative, the vocal arrangements are still in an infant age, and the lyrics are, well... let's just say stuff got more interesting when they teemed up with Van Dyke Parks. But even though technically it's just "pretty", it is still a great breakthrough for American pop music as a whole - here's a level of sincerity and self-penetration almost unheard of on the stage before, and coming from whom? A guy barely out of his teens and having practically nothing to do with the regular hit-generating machine of the times. And it still shows today - listening to this, you can feel the excitement that must have reigned in the studio when they were cutting this, easily the greatest declaration of artistic freedom in the 'light pop' area up till then.
One of pop's best songwriters' best compositions, IMO. Who cares if it's simple, both musically and lyrically? It's arguably one of the most successful cases of a song conveying a mood, and that's saying a lot.

July 10th, 2008, 6:58 pm #7

i really don't respond to any of van dyke park's lyrics. the smile lyrics were ahead of their time and i guess someone had to do that eventually. but i really like the sincere simplicity of the lyrics on pet sounds. i just wasn't made for these times, for instance, has a lyric that i really respond to. i actually think that's one of brian's greatest songs.
He's a perfect example of why lyrics (especially pop lyrics, for Christ's sake) don't have to be "poetry"- it can sound awkward, obtuse and pretentious. Don't get me wrong- I love "Smile", and I'm not saying that Parks didn't write a good line every now and then, but for the most part, they just seem inappropriate.

"i actually think that's one of brian's greatest songs."

Great minds think alike, and so do ours.

July 10th, 2008, 7:00 pm #8

So is "She Knows Me Too Well".

July 11th, 2008, 3:01 am #9

One of pop's best songwriters' best compositions, IMO. Who cares if it's simple, both musically and lyrically? It's arguably one of the most successful cases of a song conveying a mood, and that's saying a lot.
went to the city the other day (i live in sydney) and the reissue of dennis's wilson's album is the highest selling album at the store i go to, which i cant believe. the beach boys don't seem to mean much in australia. so it's hard to make sense of that. but it's good to see. i really like the bambu outtakes. especially constant companion. wow, if only the beach boys had gone on to do things like that instead of turn into an oldies band.
Last edited by dumbly on July 11th, 2008, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2008, 5:35 am #10

off "Summer Days". But if the Rolling Stones do decide to cover the entire "Pet Sounds", that would change......