Ranger Companion Pets, Worth The Bother?

Rayanne
Greybeard
Rayanne
Greybeard

June 24th, 2017, 11:20 pm #1

Speaking of the basic companions here, will they, eventually, reach a point where they are worth the time it takes to summon them?
My experience with both the basic and the enhanced companions have left much to desire; being vastly under-levelled and under-statted compared to the mobs I'll be fighting, they will take one or two hits and then instantly die before doing less than 20 damage.

I have a couple of rangers now, with the highest being level 12 or so, but so far I've never found any reason to bother summoning the pets for combat.

It was my impression that companions were supposed to be a core feature of the ranger class, but on this server they seem quite underwhelming. :/
LFRP

Mick64
Factotum
Mick64
Factotum

June 24th, 2017, 11:26 pm #2

Ranger animal companion is not super great. Not only do they lag in levels behind druid ones, but rangers also lack some of the stronger spell options that druids have to make their companions combat efficient. It takes a lot of investement to make ranger companions useful, and even then they'll never be as good as a druid's.
Scripter.

Login: Electrohydra
I play: Anything. Blue Slaad. Lots of things too.
Countless, ever-changing alts.

Rayanne
Greybeard
Rayanne
Greybeard

June 24th, 2017, 11:34 pm #3

Mick64,Jun 25 2017 wrote: Ranger animal companion is not super great. Not only do they lag in levels behind druid ones, but rangers also lack some of the stronger spell options that druids have to make their companions combat efficient. It takes a lot of investement to make ranger companions useful, and even then they'll never be as good as a druid's.
Yah... But what about my question? :D
LFRP

Mick64
Factotum
Mick64
Factotum

June 24th, 2017, 11:57 pm #4

No, without significant investment animal companions for rangers won't really have any impact on combat.
Scripter.

Rayanne
Greybeard
Rayanne
Greybeard

June 25th, 2017, 12:56 am #5

And what is significant investment?
LFRP

Mick64
Factotum
Mick64
Factotum

June 25th, 2017, 1:45 am #6

Natural Bond, Dinosaur Companion, Epic Animal Companion, plenty of ranger levels, probably a few wands with select buffs.
Scripter.

Rayanne
Greybeard
Rayanne
Greybeard

June 25th, 2017, 2:28 pm #7

Well, that sucks.
Thanks for clarifying.
LFRP