Touhoumon Unnamed

Doesnt
Conqueror of the Mauville Gym

April 18th, 2014, 2:16 am #1

Sooo lately I've been working on a little Touhoumon project instead of the stupid increasingly-ambitious Pokemon one I'd been pursuing. This hack is based on 1.8- overall, it's meant as a refinement to vanilla 1.8 FR. Vanilla (and by extension Enhanced's non-postgame content) is kinda derpy- levels cling mostly to vanilla FR except for the leaders who get silly, enemies have lazy and often illegal movesets (the entire E4 had vanilla FR's movesets but different mons), and half of the dex isn't available (including most of the PC-98 characters and all but one shard evo).

This hack is meant to fix all of that and provide a sensible 1.8 game set in Kanto.

Here, have some proof I actually know how to make changes to a ROM:

The hack goes up to the first Elite Four+Champion fights. Sevii Isles 1-3 are accessible, but the others are blocked off for now.
(also i shouldn't need to say this hopefully but patch onto english fire red 1.0.)
[+] Credits
-Agastya- his Emerald hack was what got me into this scene in the first place and is still fantastic. He also made the 1.8 port to FR that this hack uses as a base, and provided a lot of stuff for me to reuse (Pokemon data tables, dex entries, etc.).
-EXSariel- designed the DDC puppets. Also made the icons for the TD puppets.
-Hemoglobin1AC- made Touhoumon a thing in the first place. Pretty much all the sprites were his handiwork, as well.
-This fellow whose name I daren't try to translate made the sprites for the extended characters.
-LeoModesto, for reducing some of the sprites to 16 colors.
-ZUN, for bringing us the cast of Touhous.
-Game Freak, for providing the wonderfully abusable mechanics of Pokemon.
-Karatekid552's (still under wraps) Pokemon editor, which made editing the extended mons significantly easier.
-Wichu's series of tools, which still hold up marvelously.
-Jambo51's Trainer Editor, A-Map, XSE, and HxD were all also used.
-The wonderful folks on Shoddy, for providing motivation and support.
[+] Some notes for those new to 1.8

1.8 uses a different type chart from vanilla Pokemon and 1.5 hacks, to make things more balanced and allow for more flavorful typings.

Dream is similar to Fighting in that many of its moves rely on physical strength, but works a lot differently. Offensively it breaks Steel and casts aside feeble Hearts, but it's not very good against Dream, Flying, Dark, or Reason types. Defensively it has no problem with Illusions and isn't swayed by the Heart, but Dark attacks give them nightmares and Reason proves them as simple dreams. Common Dream-types include Meiling, Kyouko, Koishi, and Ellen.

Ghosts are ghosts, as you'd expect. Ghost attacks work well against Ghosts that are accustomed to phasing through things and defy Reason-types that would understand them, but they have no effect against Dark-types, and won't scare Beasts or Heart-types. Defensively they're vulnerable to Beast attacks (animals are more perceptive than people) and Ghost attacks, but they enjoy resistances to Reason (ghosts don't have to make sense) and Miasma (how does one poison the undead?) and immunities to Dark and Illusion. Common Ghost puppets include the Prismrivers, Murasa, and, well, characters who are ghosts. Tsukogami such as Kogasa and the Tsukumos are also Ghost-typed.

The Flying-type relates to birds, along with the physical act of flying- wind-based attacks such as Aeroblast and Gust are typically not Flying (note that Gale, Air Slash, and Razor Wind are exceptions). It's a good offensive type, hitting Beasts and Natures super-effectively, but it fares poorly against Wind (which is basically Electric) and Steel. Its defensive affinities are the same as its offensive match-ups with the addition of immunity to Earth (they're not on the ground!), resistance to Dream, and weakness to Ice. Flying-types includes mostly birds- Mystia, Tokiko, Utsuho, Aya, etc.

Beast is a new type- it encompasses animals and other, well, beasts. Defensively it's weak to Flying (most of these are land-bound), Fire (animals do not like fire), and Water (or getting wet), while resistant to Earth and Ghost. On offense it's good against Faith (religious devotion won't save you from wild bears) and Ghost, while ineffective against Nature (which is accustomed to animals) and Flying (birds can just fly away). It's also in the Rock-type slot, so it enjoys a 50% special defense boost in Sandstorm. Beast puppets include Nazrin, Chen, Momiji, and Kagerou.

Miasma is essentially Poison by a different name. The only differences between it and regular Poison is a resistance to Faith and Heart (prayer and love in practice don't do well against plague) and being super-effective against Water. Miasma puppets include Hina, Yamame, and Eirin.

Steel is a much less defensively powerful type than in normal Pokemon, being strong only against Flying, Miasma, Reason, and itself while retaining weaknesses to Dream, Fire, and Earth. Offensively it's much more powerful- it strikes down Flying (how is a bird going to deal with proper weaponry?), Dark (because good guys use swords), and Ice puppets, while faltering against Fire, Water, and itself. Steel puppets and attacks are usually sword-related- Youmu, Meira, etc.

Dark is drastically different from what it normally is- while foul play is still part of it it's less the focus of the type, and also encompasses some extreme cases of brute force. Defensively it's immune to Ghost and resistant to Dream, Ghost, Illusion, and itself, while vulnerable to Steel, Faith, and Heart (the "good" types). Offensively it hits Dream and Reason super-effectively but is resisted by Ghost, Heart, and itself. Dark puppets include Remilia, Flandre, Kurumi, and Rumia.

Earth is a combination of the better parts of Rock and Ground- it gets to be immune to Wind and resistant to Fire and Miasma, while only being weak to Grass and Water. Offensively it has no effect on Flying-types and puppets with Levitate, and hits Natures and Beasts ineffectively (they already spend most of their time on the ground), but hits SE on Miasma, Steel, Fire, and Wind. Earth puppets include Suika, Yuugi, and Tenshi.

Fire is fire. There's literally nothing different about it other than being resisted by Faith instead of Dragon, no longer resisting Ice, and hitting Beast super-effectively. Fire puppets are fairly predictable- Rin, Utsuho, Sunnymilk, and Mokou.

Water is water. It hasn't changed much, but it's gained a very important Miasma weakness that keeps it from being as powerful as in vanilla.

Wind is essentially Electric- it encompasses nearly all formally Electric moves, along with many wind-related ones such as Gust and Twister. The only difference between Wind and Electric is that Wind doesn't resist Steel and is resisted by Faith instead of Dragon.

Nature is very similar to Grass, but slightly more useful- offensively it isn't as worthless since Dragon is gone and it hits Steel neutrally, and on defense it resists Beast attacks.

Ice is nice- offensively it doesn't have any Dragons to hit, but the only things that resist it are Water and Ice types. While its only resistance is still itself, the amazing neutral coverage it provides makes up for it, especially since it's only weak to Fire and Steel.

Faith is given to religious figures, and is essentially Holy- if you've played AE or very old 1.8 ports you may know of it as Shinto. It's somewhat similar to Dragon in that it resists Water, Fire, and Wind for seemingly no reason (note that it doesn't resist Nature!), along with Heart, but it's weak to Reason and Beast instead of Ice. (It's worth noting Faith does not resist itself- gods fight after all.) Offensively Faith sways the Heart and brings light to Darkness, but can't do much against Miasma or Reason. Faith puppets include Sanae, Ichirin, Kanako, and Reimu.

Reason is similar to Psychic, but mainly includes magic, along with the occasional logical thinker. Defensively Reason is frightened by Ghost, Dark, and Heart attacks while resistant to Dream, Miasma, and Faith. On offense it's good at disproving Faith, shattering Dreams, and introducing medicine to Miasma types, but fares poorly against Ghosts (which can't be explained), Steels (the original Psychic counter), and Heart types. Reason puppets include Alice, Patchouli, and Keine.

Heart is a weird type- it sort of represents good-will and motivation, but it has some quirky elements. Defensively it's fearlessly resistant to Ghost, Dark, Reason, and itself, but is weak to Faith and Dream. Offensively Heart isn't terribly great, being resisted by Dream, Miasma, Faith, and itself, but it defies Reason and isn't afraid of Dark types. Heart puppets include Reisen, Ellen, Lily White, Luize, and Koishi.

Illusion is also strange, and very uncommon- of the few puppets that get them only a few are playable, and one is a derp. It's basically Normal, and is given to things that don't exist or are otherwise typeless. Illusion attacks hit super-effectively on nothing, but are resisted by Dark and Dream, and have no effect on Ghosts. Defensively they have no weaknesses, but only benefit from a Ghost immunity. Illusion puppets include Advent Yukari, Tori, and 2hu.

Puppets in 1.8 have prefixes in front of their names that may be confusing to some.

Most puppets begin in Chibi form, such as "CSanae"- these are equivalent to unevolved mons.

When a Chibi reaches a specific level, it evolves into the character's regular form- in this case, "Sanae".

Many characters are also capable of evolving by using Shards. These come in six types:

Speed Shards lead to Speed forms ("SShizuha"). They have high Speed, but generally average attacking stats and bulk.
Helper Shards lead to Helper forms ("HStar"). They vary in nature but are generally geared more towards niche roles than brute force.
Tech Shards lead to Technical forms ("TSakuya"). Tech forms are difficult to explain, but are usually noticeably different in some way from the normal form.
Guard Shards lead to Defense forms ("DMinoriko"). They have high HP, Defense, and Special Defense stats. They may have good offenses or speed, but rarely both.
Power Shards lead to Attack forms ("AMarisa"). They are strong offensively, but usually have either poor bulk or speed. These shards are less common than the others.
Solar Shards lead to Advent forms ("AdReisen). They have no common theme mechanically beyond generally having broad movepools. Not all of them are great, but the shards are nonetheless rare.

It should be noted that evolutionary shards only work on unevolved puppets. If your puppet evolves into its regular form or uses a shard, it is done.

The exceptions to this rule are Attack Tewi and Defense Tewi, which can re-evolve into each other for a very broad movepool.

There are a handful of items that are "coveted by a certain puppet" and could lead to special evolutions- again, these are only usable on Chibi forms.

[+] Fabricated Asked Questions

Q: Will I be able to play this if I'm new to Touhou?
A: Yes! It's essentially just fakemon, after all. It'll be a bit rough to figure out the typings, but there's a helpful wiki here: http://thpp.supersanctuary.net/wiki/Touhoudex

Q: Can I use shard evolutions in main-game?
A: Yes. You'll find a few shards as you go- Celadon City sells a few of them as well.

Q: Why aren't the protagonists replaced with Renko and Maribel?
A: Reasons. I don't intend to change them.

Q: Can I open this with YAPE?
A: Technically yes, but I don't advise it. The tables have been repointed for the most part, so the stats you see will be old, but if you save it could muck movepools up. Just use the wiki if you can.

Q: Can I trade with other Touhoumon games?
A: I dunno. You should be able to trade with TPPE, although a number of characters won't go through right due to slot differences (namely TD and DDC chars but also a few others). If the game lets you then you should be able to trade everything in the dex bar DDC characters, AMiko, and DMiko with Emerald, but I think you'll need to finish Celio's quest first. (The game uses Em's internal ordering, so anything in it is fair game). Anything 1.5 based (Merry's, Blue, Aqua+Yui Another World, World Link, and Ordinary) is obviously incompatible.

Q: How do I get into Saffron?
Q: Where do I get the Tea?

A: Talk to people in Fuchsia City.

Q: What level is X?
A:

The rival is 8/9 at Route 22.
Brock is 11/12.
The rival is 18/18/18/19 on Nugget Bridge.
Misty is 22/22/23. The third puppet is evolved.
The rival is 24/24/24/24/25 on the S.S.Anne. One of his puppets is evolved.
Surge is 27/28/28. The latter two puppets are evolved.
Giovanni is 34/34/35 in the Rocket Hideout. His entire team is evolved.
Erika is 35/35/35/37. Her entire team is evolved.
The rival is 36/36/37/37/38 in Prism Tower. All but one of his puppets is evolved.
--Every major trainer after this point only uses evolved puppets.
Koga is 45/45/44/46.
The rival is 44/44/44/45/46/46 in Silph Co.
Giovanni is 49/49/50/50/52 in Silph Co.
Sabrina is 51/51/52/52/53.
Blaine is 58/62/61/62/63.
Giovanni is 65/65/66/66/67/70 in his gym.
The rival is 64/64/66/65/65/68 outside the league.

Lorelei, Agatha, and Bruno are 69/69/69/69/71.
Lance is 70/70/70/70/70/73.
The champion is 72/73/73/74/74/75.

Q: Where do you get X evolutionary shard?
A: Helper, Tech, Guard, and Speed shards are for sale in Celadon Department store. Power shards are for sale on Two Island after a certain point.
There are freebie shards lying around as well:

[+] Helper Shard
Route 24
[+] Tech Shard
Route 9
[+] Guard Shard
Route 2
[+] Speed Shard
Power Plant
[+] Power Shard
Rocket Hideout and Power Plant
[+] Solar Shard
Safari Zone
[+] ???
Safari Zone, Power Plant, Seafoam Islands, and Two Island

Q: I played a Touhoumon hack before, and it was just a bunch of overleveled stuff and dumb memes. I think you're a moron for making this. Also it's unoriginal because you hacked FR and not Yellow.
A: Well this isn't a grindfest because I'm not a complete idiot, but thanks.

1Ultima
Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym

April 18th, 2014, 1:01 pm #3

Hey, a new Doesn’t hack. Cool.
And it has over 386 Pokemon- err Puppets.

But does this mean that the Pokemon hack you were working on is cancelled?
3DS FC : 1891 1152 0901

Rynarakeg
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym

April 18th, 2014, 1:15 pm #4

A Touhoumon hack with the new characer in it!?!?!? I have no reason to attempt my hack anymore! I must play!!!!

CURRENT RUNS
Platinum Storylocke - In Progress/Planning
SoulSilver Storylocke (prequel) - In Progress/Planning

FUTURE RUNS PLANNED
Black or Black2 Storylocke (sequel)
[+] Spoiler

Doesnt

April 18th, 2014, 4:17 pm #5

wrote:How much will be changed in the long run ?
Sevii Islands are going to be part of main-game and I'd like NPCs to have reasonable text- I'm also streamlining the sequence somewhat so we don't have the wonky "do it the order I want you to or die" areas YAFRH did. Wild encounters and trainers in general are mostly from scratch- I'm not just tacking the extended puppets onto the encounter tables and calling it a day. With regards to puppet stats and movepools: I might tweak a few, but it's otherwise going to be pretty similar- the system's fairly balanced and diverse as-is.

For postgame I'm definitely not adding Johto or Gensokyo or anything like certain other hacks, but I might add a Battle Tower if I'm not totally burnt out on the game by then. (It's not impossible by any means).
wrote:But does this mean that the Pokemon hack you were working on is cancelled?
I haven't abandoned it, but I am taking time off from it because it's been forever since I've actually finished a hack, and this will get done faster.

Rynarakeg

May 2nd, 2014, 5:46 pm #6

I can't get the tea from the old lady to go to saffron, bug maybe?

CURRENT RUNS

FUTURE RUNS PLANNED
[+] Spoiler

Doesnt

May 2nd, 2014, 6:12 pm #7

That's intentional- I'd rather not have people killing themselves trying to take on the Fighting Dojo or Silph too early. In the next version, an NPC in Fuchsia will give it to you.

Rynarakeg

May 2nd, 2014, 7:11 pm #8

Doesnt wrote:That's intentional- I'd rather not have people killing themselves trying to take on the Fighting Dojo or Silph too early. In the next version, an NPC in Fuchsia will give it to you.
Awesome! Thanks for letting me know that!

CURRENT RUNS

FUTURE RUNS PLANNED
[+] Spoiler

LeviLamprey
Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym

May 4th, 2014, 3:38 pm #9

Well, this is nice. Stop being so good at pioneering new things, it's not fair :c
I'll definitely play it through once exams are over (so, at the end of June :y); the small amount of the earlier alpha I played was already a significant improvement upon vanilla 1.8.
~woo go Doesnt support support go Doesnt woo cheerleader pompoms etc.~
Amazing avatar by the amazing EmeraldOx.
[+] Spoiler
Pokemon Lamprey Version (New)
PROGRESS: Rebooting, but also ongoing (26/10/14) <3

Fire Red 2
PROGRESS: Ongoing (26/10/14) <3

Friedenshymne
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym

May 14th, 2014, 4:43 am #10

This is definitely a super-solid hack. I do wonder though - is it possible to implement the "immunity to elec + raise attack" effect of lightningrod? Granted, Kanako and Shou are the only ones with it, and they don't really care about being hit with wind...

Also Seiga and her chibi form both give cYuki eggs.
I'd like to help the zombies become friendly by teaching them about God.

LightningLord2

May 24th, 2014, 10:08 pm #11

Friedenshymne wrote:This is definitely a super-solid hack. I do wonder though - is it possible to implement the "immunity to elec + raise attack" effect of lightningrod? Granted, Kanako and Shou are the only ones with it, and they don't really care about being hit with wind...
You could still do a surprise switch-in to make those stronger, though.
I hate imageshack now

Touhoumon Mercury
"Now, once again...everything shall be
purged!! This stuttering and weak era will
be replaced by a supreme, ultimate, evil
fundoshi hell!!"

Friedenshymne

May 26th, 2014, 4:08 pm #12

LightningLord2 wrote:You could still do a surprise switch-in to make those stronger, though.
For some reason I was under the impression that Lightningrod raised attack. But it's special attack, so yeah, you're right.
I'd like to help the zombies become friendly by teaching them about God.

Doesnt

December 13th, 2014, 5:24 pm #13

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cl8e1 ... med1.0.ips

Hey, anyone remember this? I finally got motivated to finish the hack up; it now goes up to the champion. Post-game Sevii content is currently incomplete and inaccessible; I'll add it in later.

For those who played the older versions; to move on, talk to people around Fuchsia Gym.

Doesnt

December 16th, 2014, 12:22 am #15

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b9rrj ... med1.1.ips

Polish update, you probably want to pick this up.

Changelog:

-Technical Toyohime learns Earth Power at level 42 instead of 39.
-Technical Iku now gets ThunderPunch and Power Whip by level.
-Swagger and Razor Wind TMs switch places. Facade TM replaces the Blazer in Rocket Hideout, Poison Bomb TM replaces a consumable in Berry Forest.
-The vendor in Celadon that sold X items now sells various hold items.
-Added HM Waterfall to Seafoam Islands. It'll still be there if you're using an old save and grabbed the item it replaces.
-Flash can no longer be used outside of battle.
-Rock Tunnel is slightly brighter to compensate.
-HM moves can now be forgotten without using the Move Deleter.
-Fixed some minor text issues.
-Fixed a couple trainers having the wrong mons.
-Made one of the endgame rival teams a little meaner.
-Fixed the late-game trades.

Doesnt

December 16th, 2014, 9:31 pm #16

http://www.mediafire.com/download/40ss3 ... med1.2.ips

Sorry about this.

Changes:

-Seafoam Island's left boulder no longer magically disappears after BF1. You can thank A-Map for that one.
-Put a Power Shard in the Power Plant.

Shamekaidou
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym

December 28th, 2014, 8:59 am #17

(smooches .gba file) I am so in love with this game. Normal FireRed 1.8 was cool, but I faintly remember Brock's ace being level 17. With the highest-leveled wilds being about 5-6. Grinding = tedious.

I was fighting a trainer, though, and when his CTei used Metronome, the game reverted back to the title screen. ._. Well, okay. Thought you might want to know. Nice hack overall, and here's to hoping I can get my greedy hands on some of those sweet new puppets or else I'll cry myself to oblivion.

Recently: Entry 31, 4-25-17 - "... he?s kinda like one of those Kalos pancham because he tries to act cool but really he?s a total sweetheart."

Doesnt

February 25th, 2015, 7:18 pm #18

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nmnb4 ... med1.3.ips

Changes:
Fixed a bug where CSanae and CHakurei's hidden evolutions checked for the wrong item. Sorry for this.
Some quiet under-the-hood changes are in that won't be visible until v2, which is why the patch is visibly larger despite being a minor tweak.

I am not sure what causes Metronome to rarely act up. There's a decent chance some other move was ported incorrectly.

Silbena
Derp
Derp

April 2nd, 2015, 3:57 am #19

Are TMs reusable?

Pantstastic

April 2nd, 2015, 11:50 am #20

Hey, I downloaded this and it seems cool. My CChen has gotten a lot of cool items from Pickup, like Rare Candies and Nuggets. But you know how in FRLG, you can get Hidden Power TMs from Pickup? Yeah.
https://imgur.com/A3ABqGs