Forum rules
Post your non-nuzlockes, Let's Plays, walkthroughs and the like here! Good luck to everyone!

THE EEVEE SWARMS ARE IN - Let's Play And Hopefully 100% Pokemon Conquest!

Mattman324
Conqueror of the Oreburgh Gym

May 30th, 2016, 6:22 am #1

Pokemon Conquest is an... interesting game. It's definitely a first game, because my god it's rough around the edges, but it attempts a lot and it succeeds at a lot too. Which is even more amazing because it's a crossover between Pokemon and Nobunaga's Ambition of all the series! Most people who played it don't know some of the nastier tricks, and never attempted to get everything past the main Warlords.

Not so for this run. I'm going to attempt to get absolutely everything. All the Pokemon, all the Warlords, all the Warriors, and all the Perfect Links for all of those.

So without further ado...

...let's dive right in.

Do be warned: I WILL NOT EVEN TRY TO HOLD BACK SPOILERS IN RELATION TO THE PLOT OR THE THINGS AVALIABLE IN THE GAME. Except the twist at the end of the main story (no, not the obvious one, the one involving Nobunaga's Ambitions - heh), and the way the last story works. Those will be kept hidden. As to the fact that the main story is basically an extended prologue, and what mons are available, yeah, I'm not going to bother holding back. You want to have that shit hidden, play the game yourself, and when you hit a wall feel free to come and learn how things go.
[+] Part 1: The Beginning of the Extended Tutorial (Main Story Part 1)
(don't expect that "main story part X" to leave for a while.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THPvkphzxaA

This is the game's opening, which you see before anything else. If you like spoilers, take particular note of the last thing before the iris to "Pokemon Conquest" at the end at about the one minute mark - yep, that's Arceus alright. This spoiler is one of those ones that gets increasingly obvious for reasons of the region design though.

Really, the choice here doesn't matter, except, you know, for the fact that it will effect what one character looks like and is named for the entirety of forever. It definitely effects that.

With that in mind, I should choose a proper name that fits the setting and doesn't stick out really badly because that would break immersion and

yeah fuck that.

It replays the opening, I'm only here for this shot because it is fucking adorable. (If you pick the girl, you get a little kid girl here, it's also adorable.)

Each Warlord has like four or five different poses they can be in, some of which are rather funny. I'm saying unrelated shit now because there's not much else to say.

Anyway, on top of myself and mystery-lady-who-is-fucking-Oichi-and-I-feel-no-compulsions-to-not-spoil-that, there's also three little shits who come here and be annoying kids you can't recruit until the postgame despite their individual missions being REALLY ANNOYING gah I dislike them. This guy's funny though because of his later sprites.

Also, as he notes, Eevee are really fucking rare and it's difficult to get one. You know how Eevee has seven (well, eight, but this was Gen 5) evolutions? Yeah, getting all of those is a PAIN IN THE ASS - fortunately, only our boy Mattman ever needs to obtain them, no one else Perfect Links with them. I might shunt some Eeveelutions onto other people though, they're all solid mons (even if some aren't particularly amazing, looking at you Umbreon you idiot)

...what do I mean by that? All in good time, my friends.

Also, well shit, it's like my first day of being a Warlord in charge of this nation and already I'm being invaded. At least it's by the most pathetic pair of idiots in history, I could seriously just handle them myself right now if not for PLOT.

By the way, I'd like to point out a major plot point that this game REFUSES TO ANSWER - who the hell was in charge of Aurora (the kingdom we're in, the Normal kingdom) before the protagonist? The postgame answers this in missions without the protagonist by giving the kingdom to Oichi, but we all know for a fact that that wasn't how it was. I always assumed Motonari (we'll get to him) just gifted the place to us because he's a massive bro or something.

We're the defender right now. It's actually impossible, as far as I am aware, to get another battle like this in the main story outside of a single plot one later, which is a goddamn shame because of the way the game handles things (Basically, everything is stacked in favor of the Defender, but the AI is unable to abuse that the way I typically do - being a Defender makes certain things some people find unviable into horrifying monsters. We'll get to that in like thirty or so updates though.)

Oh, and the protagonist in this game is speech capable... but he'll never do it in cutscenes and plot bits, just little lines like this in battle. Basically he's a self insert tool, but honestly Pokemon's done that since the start and I'm not so dumb as to care.

You see that relative strength? That's a load of shit when it's close, but when the advantage is as open as it is now... I could very easily defeat this guy in two turns before he did anything worthwhile if the plot didn't require me to follow the asinine tutorial.

Also, Oichi shows up. She's computer controlled for this battle (I think the only time in the game an ally is computer controlled), but honestly a caveman could beat these two numbskulls. Even if that caveman was using a Jigglypuff.

blah blah blah tutorial stuff

Going to take my time out of this BUSY TUTORIAL - seriously, I played the Final Fantasy Tactics series, I know the basics here - to point out that this is the single time in the main game that we'll fight in Aurora. It's also not how an Aurora battle normally looks, which is a shame, I love this kingdom.

You got OHKOd by a Jigglypuff. That's bad enough, but you got OHKOd by a Jigglypuff IN POKEMON CONQUEST. You should honestly just reconsider if this Warrior thing is for you.

Oh by the way remember how I said every Warlord had a bunch of sprites? These guys? They're not even Warlords. They're basic Warriors. They get one sprite and that's it.

Positioning is as vitally important in this game as it is in every game like it, but when you can OHKO an enemy from the front without trying, nothing can stop you anyway.

Sweet Black fucking Sabbath that's a lot of EXP! Link Levels are this game's rough equivalent to Levels in the main game, albeit with cool stuff that comes every 20 levels (the coolest coming at level 100, but you'll never get there unless you showboat like a maniac - you should always do that at least once per full runthrough because the end results are hilarious and you'll love them). They are in every way the most important thing to raise in this game, and it should serve as no surprise that the game designers were dumb enough to leave in items that ratchet up the amount of EXP you can get at any outing. Some of them by a significant amount.

This is a Nobunaga's Ambition crossover, and it should serve as no real surprise that everyone, Warlords and Warriors alike, were based on actual historical figures from that time with like two exceptions (the MC, and one of the Warlords that's named "Kunoichi" - and with a name like that you can be sure that she represents a potter :v: ) For instance, this character is Oichi Oda, sister of Nobunaga Oda and OOPS THAT'S A PLOT POINT. But come on, this is historical shit! Not like it's some big thing. I'll go over Warlords whenever we get to the postgame, no time near now, and as for warriors, if you care that much try Bulbapedia, it has all of them pegged.

Oichi being shit is no fault of her own and is more the fault of the thing in her hands, so sure, she can stay with the cool kids.

(But for serious, don't dismiss Oichi offhand. Wigglytuff is a net negative to an offense most of the time, but she's a legit terror if you know what you're doing, as every Warlord is in the end - yes, even the joke character Warlord, although he's a bit different.)

This is a pretty cool plot point and I'd love to see it used in another game.

Basically, Ransei is a perpetual warzone right now - albeit a lighthearted one in that population centers are never targeted, the battles are fairly out of the way and controlled for the most part. We beat back Hideyoshi's goons, but they were at the height of patheticness, and someone is bound to attack us again later. What's worse, there's a guy on the other side of the region making frightful progress in conquering the world, and if he gets to us, we're FUCKED.

The only recourse is to conquer it ourselves first. And by god we are going to do that.

So I decided to pop over to Hideyoshi's kingdom to see what he was hiding, and got a good look at the mooks he sent. Link level FOUR on both of them. We were TEN. Yeah, that's a slaughter and a half, I wouldn't send a Link Level 4 person to wash my dishes, much less conquer a kingdom.

Now, conquering Ransei isn't a pipe dream. Filling the gallery and Warriors list? Not really a pipe dream, though getting every legendary can be... difficult. But hooo boy, there's one thing that the gallery doesn't directly show, and that's what I consider 100%. I'm sort of close on my cartridge game, but I fucked up on that one, making the going slower - and my cartridge is actually fucking breaking up from how often I played Conquest. So yeah.

Attack animations in this game are really nothing special, so let me set this all up for speed.

One of the little shit trio comes back. let me recruit you and stop that one postgame mission from sucking please goddamnit.

Today we're doing plot mandated level grinding.

I'll explain how all the major mechanics of this game work next time if not later in the update, so don't worry about that.

For now, gaze upon this screen, see that it is the Level 1 Farm, and know that it will be our constant battleground for a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very long time.

Also I zoomed out a little to take that shot. You see those two buttons there, the magnifying glass and the arrows? Turn and Zoom In. Occasionally useful, more when screenshotting than normally though.

First big feature of the Level 1 Farm - you see this patch of ground? If you leave a Pokemon standing on it at the end of the turn, and they don't fly, you get an item from it. Usually that item is a potion or something shitty, but hey, it's something! If you have a Warlord/Warrior get an item in battle and they didn't have something equipped, they'll equip it automatically, which is occasionally useful.

Oh, sometimes if you leave Warriors sitting over these patches after getting an item you get a second one. I usually never bother though, unless I have someone doing nothing.

Yeah I'll get to that ok?

The other big feature of this place is the trees, but expect them to be a thing in a lot of places. Trees can be knocked down by basically any attack (I think the main exceptions are Grass moves) and give items like half the time.

Positioning is vitally important, you cannot change what direction you face after you move (unless I'm forgetting something) or attack. And you deal more damage and hit more often if you're hitting from the side or back. There are attacks that work a bit oddly with that though - I still have no idea how Fire Blast consider's "hit from the back" at certain spots on its range, for instance.

The Starly just off to the left can hit Eevee from behind if I move it here, but that's no issue, that Starly is weak shit.

...fuck. Bidoof has Headbutt, which means it occasionally gets Flinches, which means I'll have to postpone victory by a little bit.

Oh, I should mention - one of this game's major flaws is that every Pokemon has exactly ONE attack. This is a PROBLEM! It severely hamstrings a lot of Pokemon, especially things like Electric types and other Pokemon who have an immunity to their offense. Also, range holes are going to be a big deal later. Also also, dual type Pokemon will sometimes switch what type they use every single time they evolve (Sewaddle does, at least).

This kills a lot of Pokemon in this game, but it's not ALL bad, at least. It does encourage you to not just make one murder-mon and sweep everything... or at least, to choose what that mon is wisely.

On the next turn, I have Eevee stop to have a party!

...na, not that. What I did was have Eevee kill Bidoof, and its ability, Celebrate, let it move again. This only works one time per turn, but it's pretty damn good and we'll use it a lot for Eevee.

Eevee beat both enemies, Eevee gets more EXP.

So each month, you can only have your Warriors/Warlords do a single thing (that the plot is forcing us to choose now, but we'll get freedom soon). Then they can't move until the next month. Each month is sort of like a turn, if you will.

There are very few scenarios you should ever see a Year count of more than 6 or so in, at most. I'd say 4 or 5 is more common for the big ones, but there's plenty that will end in Year 1 or early 2 and a good number of the smaller scale ones will end in 3 (as well as two of the bigger ones.)

Fortunately the game is sane and after you've moved your Warriors, it will automatically pop this up for you. But I won't let it hit next turn quite yet, because we have a little bit to cover yet.

Specifically, we need to cover our mons and Warlords.

EEVEE: A very basic mon, it's held up by the strength of its abilities, its high Range (4 Movement Range is huge in this game), and the fact that the only person who will ever use them is the MC, who will eventually have bullshit stats. Other than that... well, Eevee's not particularly amazing by itself. That changes after evolving! Quick Attack is very generic though, no side effects or things of note.

As for its abilities...

Sprint: Increases Range by 1. Horribly useful Ability, if basic. Unfortunately, the number of GOOD Pokemon who can learn it are relatively small. Learnable by: Eevee, Jolteon, Luxray, Riolu, Lucario, Zebstrika, Sceptile.

Perception: User evades all attacks used by allies. This might not seem useful, but it's a lot better than you'd expect. But the number of good Pokemon with it is, again, quite small. Learnable by: Eevee, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle, Munna, Mincinno, Cincinno, Kadabra.

Celebrate: If you KO another Pokemon, you can move again after doing it. This is what our Eevee has, and it's FUCKING AMAZING - but unfortunately, to nerf it, only one fully evolved mon gets it, and that one is pretty damn bad. Still, on the way to any Evolved Pokemon, Celebrate will help tremendously. Learnable by: Eevee, Pikachu, Starly, Staravia, Shinx, Sandile, Gabite, Zweilous, Tepig, Pignite, Pansage, Pansear, Darumaka, Rufflett, Emolga.

(oh and since it's a good time to mention it - you CAN change your Ability. Can. However, it's not something simple to do, and we can't do it yet.)

JIGGLYPUFF: Is pretty bad. But I'll grant you, it has amazing HP, and its evolution (when we get it, whenever that happens - before this run ends for sure) is a fairly solid mon that I'd still not bring if I wasn't forced. It's great on defense though (only after it evolves, look at that pre-evolution defense!). Doubleslap hurts it a lot, because good god it is a weak move, even for something like Jigglypuff. It even has the same shitty accuracy it does in the games too, 85% base, so with Jigglypuff's terrible Speed expect it to miss a fucking lot later on.

Its abilities:

Lullaby: Every so often, enemy Pokemon next to the Lullaby mon will fall asleep. This is rare, and Sleep is kind of shit, so whatever. This is what our Jigglypuff has, and if I ever get a chance, we're getting a better ability. Learnable by: Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, although there are two similar abilities that do the same thing learnable by other mons.

Mood Maker: Every turn, the Tension/Energy of all other Pokemon increases a little. I haven't gone into that yet, but Mood Maker is absolutely fucking amazing because increasing Energy is a lot bigger than a rookie might think. This is what I'd want our Jigglypuff to have because it's the main reason to use this line. Learnable by: Magikarp, Pichu, Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Dratini, Mincinno, Cubchoo (and that's why Wigglytuff does it best.)

Confidence: Increases ally Defense. I don't 100% remember how this works, but it's sort of like Mood Maker except without the range IIRC? It's pretty solid, but unlike Mood Maker there are good Pokemon who get this. Learnable by: Gardevoir, Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Ampharos, Dragonite, Mincinno, Cincinno, Leavanny.

We'll get to the "Rank" stuff later. The game will explain it partly in the main game and then will never let you do anything with it until this part is out of the way anyway.

MC is a pretty damn solid Warlord. Amusingly, the choice between Male and Female does effect one thing... and that one thing literally never matters because a lategame MC is only ever going to use Eeveelutions and Arceus. (it's link level with other randoms) The main thing of note is that they can rank up two times, and only one other Warlord can do that - and him only with the help of a... well, I'd say "event", but I'll explain what I mean later. It's important because we need to do it for 100% completion.

Anyway, MC is rock goddamn solid, but don't get too used to them - after the main story, you're going to have depressingly few scenarios in which the MC is playable. ALWAYS RECRUIT IF POSSIBLE THOUGH, getting Eeveelutions should be your #1 Priority at any point in any mission in the game. Their current ability, "Top Speed", increases Range by 2, which is really nice, but when we Rank Up we'll get a better Ability (those links spoil precisely what it is but that's no big deal.)

Oh, and the "Emotion" button changes what sprite that the gallery shows. The "Perfect Link" button?

Brings you to a tiny field where you can interact with the Perfect Link mons you've seen and given to the Warrior/Warlord at some point. You can poke them and they'll either do part of their battle animation or a hit animation.

It says "Perfect Link Found" because for a Rank 1 MC, we found the single mon he Perfect Links with. He gets the most of anyone, with a total of NINE POKEMON thanks to Eevee, its evolutions, and his eventual Legendary. The next highest? IIRC gets 3. Not even a challenge.

Oichi may not have all the Power of the MC - her Power will consistently be an issue - but I'd like to take a moment to point out the many things she can get up to at least 70% Link with. 70+ is about what you need to viably link with things, and Oichi hit the damn motherload in that regard - this makes up for her only Perfect Link right now being Jigglypuff (not even Igglybuff!) and her Rank 2 adding Wigglytuff only. Her current ability, Sweet Song, heals every ally for 50 HP... which works kind of shittily with Jigglypuff's massive base but whatever.

Oichi and the MC are going to be forced into every story battle, so be absolutely sure to pick her up at least one fucking mon that isn't a Jigglypuff at some point. I think the usual favorite is Aggron for the main game, and I'd say Dragonite for the other scenarios, since no Warlord actually uses that one and she does well with Dragons, but she has four slots not used on her Wigglytuff if you want to make her offensive, there's room to have a decent team developed. And you definitely want to do that, she's in EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN MISSION IN THE GAME EVER. No, that's not me exaggerating. Every single one. Even when she makes no sense.

Next time: February, Year 1. I explain more important stuff like in battle behavior and hopefully we eventually move to kicking Hideyoshi's shit in.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
29 Perfect nuzlockes. 142 caught in one of them. SAIKYOU NO NUZLOCKER

My most recent one? An event run!

herpderp 2.0
Indigo League Champion
Indigo League Champion

May 30th, 2016, 4:06 pm #2

A Pokemon Conquest run? I'll be following this. Will you be using
[+] Spoiler
Guardian Charms
or are those too OP?

Don Ravioli
Conqueror of the Fortree Gym
Conqueror of the Fortree Gym

May 30th, 2016, 6:35 pm #3

Conquest is a game I unfortunately dropped out of boredom after a few of the extra chapters. This game needed a free mode BADLY given how repetitive it gets, and unfortunately, didn't get it. A shame really, because it's pretty good for a tactical RPG.

Jimcloud
Conqueror of the Lavaridge Gym

May 30th, 2016, 7:15 pm #4

Oh, thank God someone is doing this because I'm so horrifically slow with my Conquest run ; w ;

100%ing this? God have mercy on your soul.
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: man i wish i didnt use a monkey paw to get u as admin
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: like ur a great admin
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: but i have to deal with these
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: fucking
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: puns
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: all the fucking time
[4:14 AM] Jimcloud: So you'd rather we quit monkeying around.
[4:15 AM] Furfrou: all
[4:15 AM] Furfrou: the
[4:15 AM] Furfrou: fucking
[4:15 AM] Furfrou: time
[1:46 AM] the traveling clock problem: i'm more worried about the fact that it wasn't "unflawed" that was edited
[1:46 AM] Furfrou: unflawed is a word tho
[1:46 AM] the traveling clock problem: it doesn't sound pretty, i guess
[1:47 AM] Jimcloud: so it's not unflawed
[1:47 AM] the traveling clock problem: mag if you ever hire another admin never use a monkey's paw ever again jfc
[1:47 AM] Furfrou: it was necessary
[+] Spoiler
Two Sides to Every Story: a Platinum Timelocke: Complete

Jimcloud's Pokemon Conquest 'Nuzlocke': Sporadically Ongoing

Mirror World - The Outsider: Discontinued

Squiggy Azalea
Conqueror of the Petalburg Gym

May 30th, 2016, 7:24 pm #5

Oh my, you're doing Conquest? AND you're 100%ing it?

..Honestly, since I really enjoy and learn a lot from your content, I'm expecting this run to be as awesome as all of your other runs.
[+] Spoiler

Jackinev this banner is the embodiement of sex
Da Dandiest DS Dalphabetlocke Darathon

watch me do an alphabetlocke of each and every DS core Pokemon game!
[+] Spoiler
Iggy Koopa's Heartgold TMlocke!
So, do you think you have GUTS?! Guts Man's gutsy trip through Hoenn!
[♥] Let's do this.
Spinning Tops, Charging Trains: An X & Y former co-oplocke with Nekophilia!

Shiny Dustox is a sexy, sexy man for doing the banners of the How to Rek runs.

MAJOR THANKS to GloriousNarwhal for these banners!

[4][♣]spooky scary skeletons

holy shit tai this banner is dank af

Mattman324

May 30th, 2016, 10:26 pm #6

Don't expect updates this quickly usually.
[+] Replies
@herpderp 2.0: Guardian Charms are really good, but I don't think they're even the most broken item in the game - just the most easily accessable broken item. I'd put them at a solid #2 though. The thing is, they synergize with solo sweeps, while I'm going to be trying to get as many evolutions as possible. I'll probably show it off in one of the really short missions.

@Don Ravioli: It actually has a fairly competent 2P mode that lets you use whatever Warriors and Warlords you've ever unlocked with the highest Rank Pokemon they've ever had, so getting Link Level 100 is useful for that. Problem is, no one plays 2P mode. And if they did, it would be a metagame based around two teams using mostly the same mons (Arceus and Ray would be on every single team, for one. Probably Reshi too.)

@Jimcloud: My run is a normal run too, not a challenge unlike yours, because 100% is a challenge in and of itself.

@Squiggy Azalea: Conquest is pretty fun, I like it.
[+] Part 2: Monkey Business (Main Story Part 2)

You sent two level fucking four warlords after us! They weren't fit to conquer a Dairy Queen, much less a kingdom!

(after he says this they level up to 10 or so)

There's a button when you click a town that says "Equip", which lets you equip different items. That's great, but the only items we have now are potions. As soon as we get some equippables... say, ones that start with "H"... we'll talk.

Oichi points us to this Level 1 Ravine, and says we need to go train there. It has a Wooper (as does the Farm today), which makes Aurora one of a fairly small number of places you can find off-type Pokemon - off the top of my head the Rock and Dragon Kingdoms let you do that, and one or two places have Normal types extra.

Every battle that isn't for the purpose of conquering a kingdom has a 10 turn limit (those have 20 or 25 usually). This might seem like quite a lot, but trust me, depending on where you're training this might actually be a serious problem. That's more a missions concern though, due to the lack of the most important building in the game in this main section.

Wooper has Water Gun, which lets them hit two spaces in front of them. When they evolve, it's to Quagsire, which has Mud Bomb, a GROUND move that hits ONE space. And it's specifically two spaces in front of the user.

This is that whole "one move limit" issue I was talking about.

Oh, and see this? Henceforth, one treasure box will spawn in every mission. But this one's over the water, and we can't get it.

That Wooper can though, as a Water type. Even if we bait him onto it though we'll never get the contents of the box. So basically, if you're going to a Ravine, always bring a Flying or Water type to grab a box.

Oichi informs us that we can, after clicking a Pokemon, hit X to bring up this screen that lets us use Warrior Abilities and Items. I don't see why I'd do it considering her Jigglypuff is barely fucking damaged, but it's a thing you are capable of doing.

Be warned that, since Flinch takes your turn away, you can't get to this screen if you've just been Flinched. This is HUGE. No other status does that except Confusion, and Confusion... well, it's just a pain in the ass in general.

Jigglypuff proves that it's terrible by barely doing anything to this Meowth, so Eevee gets the kill.

And then spends its Celebrate doing this. After a Pokemon bites it, they'll drop a Treasure Box of their own.

Next turn, Wooper comes up to hit us both at once, and is immediately hit by both my mons. Jigglypuff gets the kill because it needs EXP badly.

The "strength increase" is very arbitrary, based off some hidden way the game calculates stats, and honestly shouldn't really matter to you. It matters a lot to the AI though, they'll only commit to an attack if they can beat your team in Strength. Since some Pokemon have more Strength than actual strength, this can lead to the AI overestimating themselves or underestimating you - and it sometimes means they'll bring in one strong guy and like four weak guys to make up the difference.

This is what the Meowth dropped. It's vendor trash, as most of the things you'll get will be, but sometimes you'll get Potions, a few specific healing items, straight money, or a few cheap equipables - but don't let that fool you, one of the cheapest equipables in the game is the fourth most broken item and probably the best you can do in the main game.

As an aside, our group has moved, but you can see that the Farm is still unused. You get more EXP from having less Pokemon at any given fight (more mons putting more EXP into less mouths), so splitting the party for things like this is sometimes a good idea, but only if you're sure your split party can take it. In most kingdoms this won't be an issue though - for about half of the main game, this will be the only kingdom that has access to 2 different areas to train at, and it is the ONLY AREA EVER which will have access to two level 1 areas. But make no mistake - every given Kingdom has two places to train. We'll get to that in the missions.

The three idiot children show up again, mostly to mock us for having not conquered a kingdom, and I point out how Jigglypuff is vastly inferior to Eevee but they have the same Strength acording to the game. That's a thing that happens, Jigglypuff's massive HP brings its Strength up.

I don't know if you're actually allowed to continue training here, but there are Mincinno available... that you can't do shit with, but you know.

Anyway it's time to launch our attack.

Hideyoshi is a horrible monkey person and wants in Oichi's pants.

This battlefield is... interesting. This is the battlefield of Ignis, and it shows - those fire jets will turn on and off every few turns, the Lava is like Water except only Fire types can cross it (and Flying of course), and those little pond things are Hot Springs and will heal you. The AI will abuse those as much as I intend to. Control the hot springs, and control that passage next to that bridge and hot springs with a flame jet blocking the one side, and you win this stage on a normal run.

I should point out that Water types can put out the flame jets and Flying types can fly over them. You see that thing in the top right corner? There are two Treasure Boxes behind it, and that's the only way to get them. So they're locked to us.

Remember, our Warriors are not the only ones with Warrior abilities. Hideyoshi's gives Chimchar more range and the chance of flinching things...

AND FUCK IT DOES THAT. And it Burns Jigglypuff!

This is going to be a long, long battle.

Thanks for saying that, Oichi.

Oh, but before we continue - one last hazard on this stage. Every so often, the volcano we're in (Did I mention we're in a fucking volcano?) will "erupt", and molten rock will fall from the sky. They deal Fire Type damage to whatever they hit, but the chance is pretty low that they'll hit you.

So, the thing about this stage - Chimchar itself is not easy to take out. It will hide in the lava and cut off your access, and it's not exactly weak either. If I were Hideyoshi I'd know how to win this pretty easily, but fortunately, it's not me - it's the really shitty AI in charge.

Now, ok, that's sort of unfair - the AI in this game is decent. But play it enough times, and the holes in the AI will become clear. For instance, despite being better, Chimchar will never displace Tepig, so since Tepig will always attack Eevee and always stay here, I've ensured that Chimchar remains in range. This isn't the best thing to do (it keeps Eevee in range of two of their moves while I only beat one of their mons), but Jigglypuff needs to go to a Hot Springs to heal.

Also, the guy with a Bidoof calls his Pokemon useless. While that's technically correct, sir, it's more your fault for being really fucking shitty! Bidoof is kind of bad, and only one guy Perfect Links with the line, but don't let that fool you - Biberal comes early, and is actually pretty goddamn competent. Much better than, uh, Musharna.

A rock hit Tepig. Made me giggle a little.

Eventually I hit Chimchar to the point where Blaze activates. On one hand, yay, Chimchar's nearly dead! On the other hand, that's a Hot Springs in range, and you can bet he'll run straight for it. Blaze, as far as I can tell, is active until you leave that HP range, but it's hard to tell with boosts and debuffs in this game - some are temporary, others less so.

Also both of his Warriors used their abilities and slammed Jigglypuff into the ground for most of its health.

IT'S TIME FOR A SWEET SONG RESCUE. Sweet Song heals Jigglypuff and Eevee back to full as I refocus on Tepig and Bidoof while Chimchar is out of the picture.

Bidoof goes down pretty quickly, Jigglypuff handles it well.

I beat Tepig too (It also has Blaze, but that is probably the least scary Tepig ability so whatever), but more interestingly - Lulluby just procced. Putting things to sleep at a range of 2 is good, but it never seems to activate when I need it.

GODDAMNIT JIGGLYPUFF I WANTED YOU TO BEAT THE THING UP. Also, note that hitting Chimchar brought it out of Sleep - Sleep's not that great in this game.

I had eight turns left at the end of that battle. Things will eventually speed up, but don't expect main story battles to be quick affairs - that's more the postgame, where at two points in every story you'll vastly overlevel the opposition (after about 7 places conquered, and at the end)

EXP's pretty great though. But more notably, they both got above 20, which means...

They get this. At every 20 levels, you get a power up on your move, which changes, say, Quick Attack, to Quick Attack+1. These provide a nice power up, but the best one is at +5, where... well, it's something amazing, and I'll show it off in the postgame (probably with a Staraptor.)

Also you can't recruit anyone in this battle.

Foreshadowing for his own story? Foreshadowing for an event? I dunno.

Oichi says this despite not knowing at all how to make allies. Well, Oichi, it's pretty simple, you just

OH HOLD UP THE BEST CHARACTER IS HERE TO EXPLAIN IT.

Normally I'd just sum up conversations, but Keiji is awesome and deserves to have multiple shots taken of him. Seriously this guy is the best.

After every kingdom you conquer, a save automatically comes up, as if to remind you that you need to do that.

NEXT TIME: Keiji shows us how to get new Warriors, the game opens up slightly, and we set up to fight a Pokemon Professor... although I probably won't do that next time.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Jimcloud

May 30th, 2016, 11:09 pm #7

Can I just take a moment to comment on how hilarious it is to me that the falling rocks from the volcano are not very effective on Fire types? I mean, I understand the justification, in and out of gameplay, but for being a fire type attack it's not visually represented well as one.
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: man i wish i didnt use a monkey paw to get u as admin
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: like ur a great admin
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: but i have to deal with these
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: fucking
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: puns
[4:14 AM] Furfrou: all the fucking time
[4:14 AM] Jimcloud: So you'd rather we quit monkeying around.
[4:15 AM] Furfrou: all
[4:15 AM] Furfrou: the
[4:15 AM] Furfrou: fucking
[4:15 AM] Furfrou: time
[1:46 AM] the traveling clock problem: i'm more worried about the fact that it wasn't "unflawed" that was edited
[1:46 AM] Furfrou: unflawed is a word tho
[1:46 AM] the traveling clock problem: it doesn't sound pretty, i guess
[1:47 AM] Jimcloud: so it's not unflawed
[1:47 AM] the traveling clock problem: mag if you ever hire another admin never use a monkey's paw ever again jfc
[1:47 AM] Furfrou: it was necessary
[+] Spoiler
Two Sides to Every Story: a Platinum Timelocke: Complete

Jimcloud's Pokemon Conquest 'Nuzlocke': Sporadically Ongoing

Mirror World - The Outsider: Discontinued

Mattman324

May 31st, 2016, 9:38 pm #8

[+] Replies
@Jimcloud: Yeah, that's pretty silly. On the other hand, it is superheated rock, so that's a part of it.
[+] Part 3: REEEEEEEEEEEcruitment 101 (Main Story Part 3)

Ok, so to recruit a new ally, first you go to a Farm or Ravine or Cave or whatever where they're hiding at (the cursor is hovering over a Cave right now and you can see the Warrior sitting there with his mon). Then you have to either:

A) Beat them in 4 turns (easiest)

B) Beat them with a Super Effective Move (going to probably be required if the arena is bigger and there's 3 or more Warriors)

C) Beat them without them ever damaging you. (VERY DIFFICULT - but under certain circumstances, it's king)

For Warlords it's a touch trickier, but I'll get to them later. On the subject of recruiting Keiji?

Yeah he doesn't join us at any point in this story.

He then rides off into the sunset on a Terrakion, like all the old westerns do.

Yeah, thanks for stating the obvious.

This is the Level 1 Cave. It has a bit of Lava - sorry, Magma - and a bit of Water, so bringing a Flying Type is usually needed for the boxes (usually). As an aside, the terrain is "rock" - that's slightly important - and those big step things aren't just visual - if a Pokemon is too high or too low, they can't attack things. Height also slightly effects power, I think, if you're above the enemy, but it's hard to tell sometimes. You can jump slightly higher down than you can up, so that step straight ahead of Eevee can jump down to the side (the first step only), but you can't jump up from the side. The only way around this is a very rare ability, or, of course, being a Flying type or otherwise airborne Pokemon (Levitate counts here.)

Darumaka's kind of annoying in that it hits hard and has an ability to increase its attack and it can fucking burn you, but it's not a major threat really.

Jigglypuff gets crits only when it isn't necessary.

Eventually, since you're stuck in Level 1 areas (Wildlife will adjust to your level, but in a level 1 area you can have a max of 2 Pokemon as enemies - notably, however, Enemy Warriors do not count to that total), your EXP gains will start to taper off.

Normally.

There's a way around this.

Oh and yeah I beat him in three turns. If the Turn Counter ever gets to Turns Left: 6, then you've failed at that.

Keep in mind that I think you have to be the one to beat them in 4 turns - if Sandstorm or residual damage or friendly fire or whatever does it, it doesn't count.

After any battle where you recruited someone, you'll get this screen, where you can accept your new recruits. If you don't want your new recruits, you can also refuse them - I will be using this A LOT in the scenarios after I start racking up Perfect Links.

They're specifically referring to Warlords, which I will talk about when it's relevant. (Ginchoyo will be the first relevant one.)

No, I'm not resting on my laurels. I'm trying to build a fucking army. Go away. Normally I wouldn't get to conquering more than two or so kingdoms for a month or so more, and I'm an expert at the game and you aren't.

Greenleaf and Fontaine are your next two objectives, with names like that you can be guaranteed that they're the Ice and Fairy kingdoms respectively. :v:

(but seriously Fairy isn't in this game because it's Gen 5. And yeah, Greenleaf is our next target.)

Masanori's faces make up for him being a total shit somewhat. They do not make up for the horrible hell that is his scenario. They don't make up for that AT ALL.

If the region design makes no sense to you, don't worry, it eventually will make horrifying sense. It might help ever so slightly to know that Greenleaf's tip is the bottom left corner of the region map.

Oh, as an aside - I think I've mentioned this, but Oichi is a forced person in every single major battle. So is the MC. This is unique to this scenario (although there's one very late scenario that nearly forces certain people, we'll get to that at... I'd like to say the end of the run, but I know for a fact I'll be doing that scenario more than once to 100% this, so eh.) and it is annoying because... well, you see her Normal Type Jigglypuff? You see my Normal Type Eevee? Yeah.

Today, we can access two special shops in both of our villages. In Ignis and Aurora both, we can see the Shop, where you buy and sell items...

...and the Ponigiri Shop, which I will discuss next time.

So the thing about the Shop is that its prices can be lowered if you bring someone with really high Charisma, but if they have really low Charisma, prices get raised. Oichi has 90 Charisma out of a possible 100, which is amazing, so with that and the fact that Jigglypuff is shit, we have our dedicated shopbuddy.

The one use only items don't interest me, so let's look at the equipables! The Strategy Tome increases the Warrior who wears it's Wisdom - Warriors have three stats, Power, Wisdom, and Charisma, I'll explain them soon - by like 20, which is neat I guess but I've never really used it, the Padded Cloak prevents Burn or Freeze, which would be handy if we didn't already conquer the fucking fire kingdom, and the Ha-

The ha...

They sell that shit here?

Ok, so, the Harmony Flute! I'm going to say this shit straight up and let it in the open, this is THE FOURTH MOST BROKEN ITEM IN THE GAME. Not only is it relatively cheap, but its effect is a very noticeable boost. What is that boost? Basically it's the Lucky Egg. You know, most broken item in the main series, that Lucky Egg? Yeah. It's that. I mean, not quite to 2x levels, but it does basically the same thing.

So I sold everything I had to buy as many Harmony Flutes as possible. Before I finish this grind I want one for everyone I can get one on.

(As for the top three? Three is the Harmony Harp, a higher tier Harmony Flute that unfortunately ends up like Stage 1 mons in the TCG - skip past them to rush to Stage 2! - but I think you can get it in the main game and you can't get the highest tier, so ha. Two is the Guardian Charm, which is easily accessible and very, very broken, and one is the Harmony Drum, which is sort of what happens when a Lucky Egg isn't enough. There's other items that are technically better, but most of them are either one use only or they aren't easy to get.)

Anyway, now that my MC and the new Warrior have their fancy flutes (Oichi's turn was used getting the flutes in the first place), it's time to go on another recruitment drive. You can't see it easily in this shot, but Tepig has a pulsing purple aura around it - that means it's Wild. If they don't, they're Warrior Pokemon, like the Charmander there. You can also tell by hovering over them, or clicking one of the enemies and checking the Info.

Also, since I forgot to mention it - when Oichi went to the shop, her Link Level went up slightly. It's not by a significant amount, but that stuff does go up when you have them go to places other than battle, and yes, things can evolve after visiting a shop, it's pretty great.

On this step, Eevee can hit Tepig, but Tepig (who's only attack is Ember, a move with a range gap that hits two spaces away) can't hit anything at all. And Eevee can only be targetted from behind. This sort of silliness is funny, but I need to catch the Charmander, so I need to focus on it.

There's different text depending on if any given type of Warrior or Warlord joins or if they leave without joining. As there's 8 turns left, you should know what this one is.

Also the reward from his box is GOLD! But probably less than what a Potion would sell for so eh.

You see that gold Pokeball next to the Warriors and their Pokemon? That means they're officially registered in the Gallery as "caught". You MUST battle at least one time with every Warrior and every new evolution, or else they'll never get registered in the Gallery, and Bad Things Will Happen.

See this? Remember what my EXP was like last time? Harmony Flute.

Also we get this guy.

I couldn't get another Harmony Flute, so all four mons are in attendance today, as we go for another Warrior.

I won't be posting SICK GAINS as much unless they're really good by the way. But they basically always will be after conquering territory.

Now that we have a Charmander registered in the Gallery, it shows up as caught in the wild menu as well! Also there's wild Zubats in the Fire kingdom, interestingly enough.

After a quick battle to register the group, I split the party to get some faster EXP into my team.

Now, let's take a look at the new Gallery residents.

CHARMANDER: Its main note is that 4 Range, a really good Range, but otherwise it's pretty stock basic Fire. Even a little weak, maybe. But don't worry, Charizard fans, he's a right pain in the ass for all his enemies. (And there's a Warlord who's Perfect Link is Charizard too! Yukimura's pretty good.) Ember's pretty stock in terms of early Fire moves though, a few things get it.

Its abilities are:

Blaze: Basically does the same thing it does in the main series. Useful, I guess, but nothing too impressive. Learnable by: Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape, Tepig, Pignite, Emboar (duh.)

Warm Blanket: A very odd ability, this one lets you regen HP if you are sitting on lava at the end of the turn. Obviously only learnable by Fire types. Learnable by: Litwik, Lampent, Chandelure, Charmander, Charmeleon.

Hero: it's literally this song. But seriously, when your team is 1/3 the overall strength of the enemy's or less, you get a fucking ridiculous stat boost. Put this together with a Guardian Charm... It's entirely possible for a Charizard to KO multiple mons at once and never see this boost wear off. And that's bullshit, but it's hilarious bullshit. Very difficult to use though, since Strength goes down based on Current HP... It's funny when it works, but it rarely works. Learnable by: Starly, Staravia, Staraptor, Whirlipede, Toxicroak, Deino, Zweilous, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Simisage, Darmanitan, Braviary.

TEPIG: "Teh Pig" indeed. Remember how in Gen 5, all the starters were shit ingame? Not so much in this game - Tepig starts small, like most Fire types, but becomes an absolute shitwrecker by the endgame. Unfortunately, it's also the only Gen 5 starter not to Perfect Link with a Warlord, but don't worry about that - it's definitely still usable.

We've seen Blaze (what ours has) and Celebrate, but what about Spirit?

Spirit: When you reach 1/3 or less HP, your HP increases to full, and your Attack gets a temporary boost. This ability is absolutely fucking bullshit and it annoys me every time the enemy uses it... but I love it on my side. Learnable by: Flareon, Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr, Chimchar, Monferno, Tepig, Pignite, Emboar, Darumaka, Darmanitan, Scrafty.

DARUMAKA: On the minus side, its Defense will always be shit. On the plus side? Everything else about this Pokemon is amazing, and by its final evolution it will be an absolute shitwre- yes I am allowed to say that for three mons in a row, for one simple reason - They're all Fire Type. And every SINGLE Fire Type in this game with exactly one exception is amazing shit. (the other one, eh, it's ok I guess) But Darmanitan is a ridiculous powerhouse in terms of killing so it's pretty solid.

One problem: This is probably the only one we'll see until the missions. Getting other Darumaka requires an upgraded Ignis, and we can't upgrade areas until the missions. That's a major bummer, especially since one of the Warlords has a Perfect Link with Darumaka's line.

We've seen Spirit and Celebrate, what of Run Up? It's what we have after all.

Run Up: I have conflicting reports on how this works. Serebii seems to think it gives you Attack based on how little you move, but as I remember it's on how MUCH you move. Either way, it gives very minor attack boosts and Spirit or Celebrate are far better. It'll turn into Hero on Darmanitan, but Darmanitan has a rare ability over Celebrate that is significantly less niche in how good it is, so I'd just stick to Spirit or Celebrate if possible.

That's it for new Pokemon. How about the Warriors?

Takatora came with Charmander, which he has a 62% Link with but will go up to 70% on evolving. That's honestly fine, but you always want (if possible) to get people their Perfect Link. And what do you know, his Perfect Link is the Litwick line, and that's ACTUALLY OBTAINABLE IN THE MAIN STORY. Why, we might even see him with a Chandelure by the endgame! So he's a keeper. His stats are honestly pretty solid too. Added Bonus gives a good chance of side effects proccing, and Chandelure's move has a Burn Chance (duh) so it's nice.

Oh, I should mention - aside from things like Charisma giving bonuses in the Shop, the main three Stats seem to give boosts to Pokemon Stats to the things they're bonded with - Power helps Attack, Wisdom helps Defense, and Charisma helps Speed, or so they say. The boosts aren't major unless you're comparing a really shitty Warrior and a really good one though, and honestly I think IVs (Yes, IVs are indeed in this game) are more important overall. Still, high stats are really important, as the worst Warlord in the game is one with low overall stats (and a Capacity of 1, and Added Bonus when his Perfect Link doesn't even fucking use side effects. We'll get him later, he's a massive pile of shit and after I get his Perfect Link I'll never use him again.)

Rikyu came with Darumaka, and he's stuck at 68% Link for it. That's... ok, but his Perfect Link is the Pansage line. Now, on one hand, Pansage is only available in swarms and from passwords... but literally the only person in the game who Perfect Links with the line is Rikyu. So he'll be one of the first Perfect Links I get after I get the ability to obtain new Pokemon. His stats are ok, and Detox cures Poison or Paralysis on every mon on the team, which is great.

Hideaki came with a Tepig that he will always have at 70% Link. His Perfect Link, though, is Venipede's line, which... has issues, but will be pretty easy to get and is a decent group of Pokemon after the Venipede stage. As for the Warrior himself, Fortify is nothing particularly notable (it's a good ability, but basically every ability is good) and his stats are shit. That 3 Capacity probably won't matter since he'll only need space for two mons altogether, fortunately for him. He's below average, but he'll be good enough for this point in the game.

I'll end this update...

...with my new fancy banner.

NEXT TIME: After I do some grinding, we'll go beat up Greenleaf, the most generic kingdom name ever, and fight a professor.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Squiggy Azalea

June 1st, 2016, 4:32 am #9

Oh god, that warlord. I remember him. With his Pineco perfect link and all. He's a piece of crap, alright.

>Professor
>Grass Kingdom
Well, I guess that Pokemon still keeps some of its running themes. :v

Will you use an AR Code to recruit Motonari and Motochika in the main story, or will you wait until the special episodes?

EDIT: Did not notice today was your birthday. Happy birthday!
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
[♥] Let's do this.

Storm Luxray
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym

June 1st, 2016, 9:17 am #10

.....how many of these runs do we even need?

Not that I'm whining.

KIVA EDIT: HAPPY BIRTHDAY :leechseed: :turtle: :hello: :hello: :turtle: :leechseed:
:lugia: :ho-oh:

IXA EDIT: Keji's Perfect link is Tekaron, BTW. It has one of the funnier sprites in the game.

So does Masunori.

Takatora is a Batta away from a Combo. He's boss.

GET GINCHIRO. AND KEEP HER. LUXRAY IS BOSS.

Also, Pokemari guy? Pair him with Scizor and he wreaks shit.

Active-ness: Sporactic.

[+] Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScAnxCUQ-Jk
In a blazing burst of color,
comes a duo clad in gold and silver,
deleting all in our way as we Boost Up!

Escaping from the soundless void of hyperspace,
My very arrival is a shockwave upon this world
Stand in my way, and there?ll be no saving you
This is my show, and no-one?s gonna stop me

Morphin?!
Shining bright like the sun stands Beet Buster
Radical new power stands before you
With my highest-quality buddyroid, Stag Buster
We?ll soar through the sky as we Boost Up!

What?s the point in people or robots being perfect?
Strive to be like others, and you?ll just lose yourself
So show me just how strong you can really be
How resolute are you to take back what you love?

Morphin?!
As radiant as the sun stands Beet Buster
My assault will never be stopped!
Cutting like thunder, comes the jet-like Stag Buster
We?ll soar through the sky as we Boost Up!!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

clad in light eternal?

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

[22:20:19] genuine problems: anyway the moral of the story is: if you're obese you're more likely to die
[22:21:20] Bullet: what
[+] Spoiler
My Deviantart, please checxk it out!

Mattman324

June 1st, 2016, 5:56 pm #11

Happy birthday me, woooo.
[+] Replies
@Squiggy Azalea: I will at no point use any Action Replay codes. That's cheating! But using the ingame password system, all of the passwords of which were released by Nintendo? Yeah, that'll be a thing. Motonari and Motochika are 100% better if you get them in the main story too (they come with free side Pokemon of very different types that they link well with), so they're getting that, and I can't exactly 100% the game if I don't have 100% of the missions and access to 100% of the Legendaries. And the rest of the passwords are just "things swarm now," most of which is useful (I will likely never need the Gyarados or Zoroak password, but those aside.)

@Storm Luxray: I know what everyone's Perfect Links are. Ginchoyo's got a bit of an issue in that Luxray isn't even the second best Electric type (it's at best third), and Thunder makes it less usable than things like Galvantula. Also that the two best Electrics are in Warlord Perfect Link access, though of course Nobunaga has better things to do usually. As for Yoshimoto, would you believe that I hardly ever use Scizor? I'm too busy making the game cry with Forretress usually, it's an amazing Pokemon if you know how to play to its strengths (i.e. everything but dealing damage, which it is shit at). Yoshimoto's not the problem. He has an actual capacity stat, so even if you do want him for offense, he's got options always open. It's a random Warrior that has that problem.
[+] Part 4: Pokemon Greenleaf Version (Main Story Part 4)

i have made a critical error

In Aurora, you can buy Harmony Flutes as well as these two things. The Dumbbell increases the Warrior holding it's Power, which is neat, but the Weak Spot Lens is much better - it makes it so the Pokemon holding it takes less damage from SE moves. Helpful and easy to get ahold of, this one is, but I'd be lying off my ass if I said I used it that much.

Once my entire party was in the 20s (Greenleaf's ace starts at 20 and his mons go from 18 to 16) and Eevee was up to about 27, it was time to challenge Greenleaf. But since this is the main game and thus there is literally no rush ever, I can take some time for a Ponigiri interlude.

So, Ponigiri. As the lady says, it raises your energy, and the basic Ponigiri (the only one really worth it honestly) doesn't cost anything. As for Energy? It's those little arrows next to the Pokemon. It goes from raised really high and a nice healthy red, to pointed down with a dark blue. Every three months, your Energy will adjust to something else, and it's usually not that good, so the usual way of increasing it is going to the Ponigiri shop and getting it raised.

What does Energy do? Nothing major. Just makes every single stat better. Having an Energy lead is HUGE, but after the main campaign, keeping ahead on Energy means giving everyone else in the game a chance to raise their levels, get new Warriors, and conquer each other, which is not something you ever want to have happen. That's why Mood Maker is a good ability - if you use it correctly, you can avoid having to need Ponigiri, because you can just keep your Energy up with the Mood Maker mon! But the only fully evolved Pokemon who gets that ability is Wigglytuff, and Wigglytuff itself has problems offensively...

As you can see, three of our mons have neutral Energy, and two have the best possible. Unfortunately, next month, our Tepig decided to dip again for no good reason, so I definitely wanted one more month to raise them up. But again - this is the main game. No problems with doing that.

Well, aside from the minor one that if your Energy is full, you can't get Ponigiri. So Jigglypuff and Charmander had to run off and fight some wildlife.

Let me take a moment to note that you cannot be Flinched two turns in a row, the enemy is incapable of stunlocking you to death with Flinch. That's nice, but it's still damn annoying.

You know, it's kind of pointless to tell us that after we've already committed to an attack, Oichi.

Yeah, I'm expecting a right stomp here.

Motonari is really goddamn cool. He's still running his kingdom despite being a lot older than his sprite would suggest entirely because his army loves him, and would give his kingdom to you if not for that. Also I have fond memories of his postgame mission and him in the postgame.

Motonari's kingdom is your first view of a specific type of map, and it has a LOT of gimmicks and tricks, meant to make you think more strategically. Which is cool, I love the Greenleaf field.

Because of that, I did a thing. It's not a very pretty thing, but, well...

The kingdom of Greenleaf. Let's run through our important things of note one by one.

1) THE BANNERS. Quite a number of maps have a series of banners on them, and the victor is either the challenger after capturing all the banners, or the defender after forcing back the enemy or keeping all the banners (again, Defender gets quite a number of things skewed towards them.). Banners themselves provide a passive HP Regen, and if an enemy gets on them, they will sit on the banner until either they die or you knock them off - tricking an enemy onto a banner and then slowly killing it over a number of turns is a viable tactic to get Warriors if their attacks don't outrange yours.

2) Those grass patches. There's a number of them, and they're teleporters - four grass patches connect to four other grass patches of the same color.

3) Those tall, Cattail-looking plants. If you land on them (or next to them?) they'll throw you to another nearby space. It's typically a bad idea to do so because that's random and you never get what you want.

4) That pink tree. I never interact with it and forget what it does, but I seem to remember it being very annoying. Don't go near it.

5) aaaaaaaaagh. Traps.

Traps are things that will happen on a few maps. They are always in the same spot every time you go to a map, and if you end a turn on them, you fall in. You're then entirely unable to move until the turn after next from when you fall in, and the enemy can hit you in the meanwhile. Flying Types and Levitate mons can't fall into traps for obvious reasons.

6) Every turn this bridge will either extend out or return back in. If you're standing on it, it won't retract until you leave, though, so it's a quick shortcut from the Defender side to one of the banners.

AAAAAAAAAAA.

Sewaddle annoy many players because they are one of the two Pokemon to use Bug Bite, which eats any consumable item. I am never bothered because they don't eat equippables, and I prefer my Harmony items at all times.

This one has an ability that can raise its own defense enough that an Ember from Charmander isn't an OHKO. But it is an assisted 2HKO, as Jigglypuff comes in clutch.

Abilities like Grass Cloak will show up on the "how much damage do we estimate the next attack will do" thing, as will most other abilities, but Sturdy does not, and some of the evasion abilities won't either if they'll work. Be careful of that.

This Sewaddle right here will not move off this banner for the heat death of the universe, so I am 100% free to give it the heat death of a Darumaka and he won't try to avoid it or fight back.

Like so. Note that his box didn't land on the banner space, and instead fell to where Tepig is currently standing (I moved it onto the box).

Also note that I fucking murdered everything according to the top screen, but still haven't actually won. You do have to capture every single banner to win these maps.

The gains you get for conquering kingdoms are ALWAYS ridiculously good.

I got this from a treasure chest. They've been available for purchase for a bit now, the Emerald Graces and a few other Grace items, but I never really use them for anything and they sell for a lot so I tend to just sell them. The HP recovered is only really notable if your Pokemon has a lot of HP in the first place.

As I beat all the Warriors with Fire Types, they all joined. Motonari himself will never join at the end of this mission, barring you do something special, but I'll get to that later.

He bows out, giving his lands to you, on the single circumstance that you don't screw with his civilians, and then rides off into the sunset on a Serperior to become this region's equivalent of a Pokemon Professor.

There's nothing really notable about the guys we got other than "have grass types, will be good against water types." Mind, the Sewaddle guys have Bug Bite, so they don't really fit that, but...

Oh goodness, so many already!

Yeah I just sort of stomped on them and their Pokemon.

Also this guy showed up in like December Year 1 (I'm taking extra time to see if there are people who show up later on, sue me.)

This Charmander got a Hero boost the minute I entered the match. Cute, but it's too weak to do much (even if it is apparently already Level 20+)

YOUR WATER CAN'T STOP ME NOW, I CAN FUCKING FLY!

Absorb is incapable of killing trees. Some Grass moves are, I think they're the only ones too.

And now, onto the "what all do we have new" part of the update.

COTTONEE: Good news first - Cottonee is very fast, and Whimsicott is easy to get because it's a Stone evo. Bad news: That's it. The two have severe issues with dealing damage (Cottonee has one of the lowest Attack stats in the game on top of Absorb being shit, Whimsicott shares an attack with SWADLOON if that tells you how much it can do.), and without much HP, their Defense is wasted, so it's better for them to try and dodge everything with their speed. 4 range on a fully evolved mon has uses, though... Too bad that Flying type doesn't mean it can fly over obstacles. We have two of these right now.

Melee: One of the most widespread abilities in the game, every time a Pokemon next to the Melee mon gets hit, the Melee mon inflicts a little extra damage (except when it's the Melee mon itself doing the hitting). Not particularly useful unfortunately. One of ours has this. Learnable by: Umbreon, Zubat, Cottonee, Whimsicott, Gible, Croagunk, Toxicroak, Deino, Pansage, Simisage, Pansear, Simisear, Panpour, Simipour, Zorua, Sneasel.

Mountaineer: Another widespread ability, and the other one that our Cottonee duo has represented, this ability makes it so you can jump much higher up and much further down than usual. This is a lot more useful than you might think. Learnable by: Espeon, Cottonee, Whimsicott, Meowth, Persian, Dragonair, Froslass, Chimchar, Treeko, Grovyle, Sceptile, Pansear, Panpour, Beedrill.

Dodge: Gohan's worst nightmare, this ability lets you occasionally dodge contact attacks, and if you manage to do that the opponents Defense goes down. This is probably the best Whimsicott ability, but Mountaineer is pretty great too. Learnable by: Umbreon, Cottonee, Whimsicott, Gothita, Croagunk, Toxicroak, Froslass, Cincinno, Panpour, Driftloon, Drifblim, Weavile.

SEWADDLE: Sewaddle is awesome and I love it. Its only good stat is Defense, and Swadloon is only slightly better (and it has 2 range), but it's all paid back by Leavanny - Leavanny's only bad stat is Attack, which is made up for by having X-Scissor, a really powerful move. This thing is legitimately great and might make it to Oichi's team one day (Thus far it's Wigglytuff/Aggron/Dragonite/???/???, thinking two of Excadrill, Leavanny, Drifblim, Galvantula, Beartic/Walrein, or maybe an Eeveelution like Flareon or Espeon or something.) Whatever the case is, we have two of them.

Grass Cloak: One of ours has this. If you're on Grass, it will increase your defense. Fairly useful, but there are better abilities. Learnable by: Snivy, Servine, Serperior, Sewaddle, Swadloon.

Stealth: If you're on your type's terrain, you dodge attacks. Our other Sewaddle has this. It's... not always apparent what that type is, but I'll make it easier - Grass types get Grass, Ground types get Sand, and Ice type get Snow (and maybe Ice? Dunno.) It's not so bad, but it could be better. Learnable by: Glaceon, Larvitar, Garchomp, Snover, Cubchoo, Beartic, Sewaddle, Swadloon, Drilbur, Excadrill.

Herbivore: If you are hit with a status condition, your HP raises. I dunno if it's a blanket sum or if it's a little each turn, either way Herbavore is REALLY BAD and any other ability is better. Learnable by: Venipede and Sewaddle.

PANSAGE: A remarkably usable Pokemon. Its stats aren't that bad, honestly, and Simisage is easy to get (Stone evo yo!) and actually fairly powerful. It's not my favorite, but it does what it is supposed to do, and it does that job well.

Ours has Melee, and we know Celebrate, but what of Nurse?

Nurse: A very useful ability, it heals status effects on nearby allied Pokemon at the start of each turn. I don't think it always goes off, but having a Nurse around can really help if you're suddenly slapped with Poison or Burn. Learnable by: Petilil, Lilligant, Serperior, Leavanny, Pansage.

ONIX: Onix continues its trend of looking really cool and being really fucking useless - look at that HP! And that Attack! But fortunately, as usual, Steelix redeems it, making it into an extraordinarily hard to kill (if inaccurate) machine of destruction. Good abilities though. Ours has Jagged Edge.

Sturdy: This is Gen 5 Sturdy, and it has Gen 5 Sturdy's new effect - no straight OHKO moves like Sheer Cold here so that's not a thing, but you can't OHKO a Sturdy mon. Occasionally nice. Learnable by: Roggenrola, Boldore, Gigalith, Pineco, Foretress, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Shieldon, Bastiodon, Onix, Steelix.

Jagged Edge: It's basically Rough Skin or Iron Barbs. Any enemy that uses a contact move on the Jagged Edge mon takes damage from it. This is a pretty solid ability to be honest, though I think Onix has a better option. Learnable by: Venipede, Whirlipede, Scolopede, Pineco, Foretress, Pupatar, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Anorith, Armaldo, Onix, Steelix.

Frighten: One of the best abilities in the game, it lowers the Speed of every enemy within two spaces AND it lowers their Range by 1. This ability is ALWAYS a good thing. Learnable by: Gyarados, Ekans, Arbok, Dusclops, Dusknoir, Tyranitar, Glalie, Beartic, Axew, Fraxure, Volcorona, Onix, Steelix, Spiritomb.

CARNIVINE: On the plus side, it's not as bad as it is in the main games. But it's really let down by its attack, Vine Whip is not up to the levels of power required to be a good Pokemon for a move with no side effects. Plus that Speed stat is bad. It's meant to be a good earlygame mon, though, and it certainly succeeds at that. And hey, Levitate isn't totally useless for it here!

Levitate: Much like in the main game, if you get Levitate, that's your only ability. Here it makes sense, since Levitate drastically changes how you work - if you have it, not only do you get the Ground immunity, but you also can fly like a Flying Type, over obsticles and over traps. So very useful. Learned by: Chingling, Chimecho, Hydreigon, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Misdreavus, Mismagius, Carnivine.

Onto Warriors!

Ah, Takanobu... I don't think I ever got your Perfect Link, because Munchlax is a PAIN IN THE ASS (Missions only and on the side of the map I never tend to start on, a pain.) But Snorlax is apparently pretty good, and, come to think of it, you're the only guy who Perfect Links with Munchlax, aren't you? Hmm. Might have to get on the Password game. Takanobu's stats are pretty good (especially that Capacity, not like the average joe Warrior ever needs more than 3) and Shout is a useful ability.

Motoharu is a difficult guy to please, only reaching 70% Link on a few Pokemon. But his perfect link is Axew, one of the easiest Dragons to obtain (probably the one I'll be getting ahold of first, actually!), so bully for that. Good stats too. As abilities go, Mighty Blow is a pretty goddamn great one.

Good news! Takakage's Perfect Link is Treeko, which is entirely, 100%, no bullshit, avaliable right now. Well, as soon as I can catch new Pokemon. Those stats are pretty legit too, and Adrenaline is nice. A keeper, this one.

Terumoto isn't as good as the last few guys - his stats aside from Charisma are pretty bad - but on the plus side, Petilil is also available right now, and that's great. Fortify is a decent ability as well, although it tends to not help me when I need it most.

You see Takeyoshi's Perfect Link? Yeah, that's a fucking GYARADOS. Gyarados is as good as you'd expect it to be, and as one of the two guys who Perfect Links with it, Takeyoshi is going to see a lot of use. Eagle Eye helps out his main Pokemon, so I'm fine with that.

Ekei Perfect Links with Carnivine, making him ok in the early game for the main game. That's... really all I can say about him. Bad Capacity and Power are noticeable. The other guy who Perfect Links with Carnivine is better (slightly, he's also shitty). Convalesce is a good ability, but it works best if you cluster your Pokemon together, and that can lead to serious problems with some attacks.

There is a decent chance that Takamoto will be the first guy I obtained in the main story that I did not get the Perfect Link for. This is because he links with Snivy, which isn't available in the main game, and unlike most of the other ones, though there IS a password, there is also another Warrior who Perfect Links with Snivy - and unless I get him, we're not doing this shit yet.

Now, before we end, there's one last note I need to make. See, now that we have Greenleaf, I COULD potentially make Eevee into a Leafeon. I won't do this for two reasons. One, Leafeon is kind of bad in comparison to the other Eeveelutions, and two, it takes an Eevee with 94 Defense to make a Leafeon.

So, uh, yeah, that won't be happening.

NEXT TIME: More preparations of the new guys, as I get ready for Motochika, and the game beyond this small corner of the region.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

SeaMaid
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym

June 1st, 2016, 6:54 pm #13

Well, Conquest is both exactly what I expected it to be and nothing at all like it. And unlike what I had assumed earlier it DID have a European release (though Bulba only mentions a UK one specifically...). I'll check it out sometime now.

Also happy birthday I guess, have this
CURRENT AVATAR: a drawing of Zizou from Legend of Dark Witch, as drawn by Famimatsu

Music Thread | SoundCloud | Music tumblr

Want a storylocke of a "soul-crushing" hake along with that hobbyist music? This one's gonna come back someday I swear:

I'm also responsible for the one and only HarvestCraft run on these forums if you want a chill experience.
(that one's on semi-official hiatus though, sorry;;)

Storm Luxray

June 1st, 2016, 11:48 pm #14

Right, sorry. I got the father confused with the son. And....Fortress is most decently a wall.
(Yes, the worst Warrior is, in legend, related to the sort-of-worst Warlord.)

......Yeah, Zekrom. I use Luxray as a sniper, though, so we might be different in that regard.
And I usually get her(Ginchiryo) a back up Pokemon as well.

[+] Spoiler

Morphin?!

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

clad in light eternal?

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

[22:20:19] genuine problems: anyway the moral of the story is: if you're obese you're more likely to die
[+] Spoiler

Squiggy Azalea

June 2nd, 2016, 5:35 am #15

Oh right, Zoroark. I remember getting Zorua being a pain in the ass, being swarm exclusive and such, so I had to use Zoroark passwords to get one for Kotaro. Either that or I'm a lazy ass. Probably the latter.
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
[♥] Let's do this.

Hydragon51
Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym

June 2nd, 2016, 2:58 pm #16

Someone else is playing Conquest, and 100% too! Following. Also Happy late birthday
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Hydragon's Sun Communitylocke My first playthrough through 7th gen complete with (mostly) live reactions in this 10 day journey.
[+] Spoiler
Deaths 7 Points 81
[+] Spoiler
LEAF ME ALONE ALREADY A Pokemon Moon Grass Monolocke Watch me struggle with the worst type (besides maybe ice) in Alola! Now finished.]spoiler]
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[/url]
In which I punch my way through the first two regions and part of Hoenn, before meeting an unfortunate end.
[/center]
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Hydragon's Emerald Randomizer Unfortunately I lost the save. Not coming back ever. Oh well.
Project NuzDex I'm a member of the review team here, and do the occasional analysis here too. One day it'll be done.

Mattman324

June 2nd, 2016, 9:02 pm #17

[+] Replies
@Don Ravioli: That eases up after Shingen and Kenshin - well I guess technically after the Rock kingdom since that's needed to go to most of the other ones in that area, but that doesn't count - but it never really goes away.

@SeaMaid: Conquest is pretty fun, yeah.

@Storm Luxray: Zekrom and Raichu, actually. And Forretress is fucking amazing in the hands of a good Warrior or Warlord, but we'll get to that.

@Squggy Azalea: Actually, Zorua is NOT a Swarm Pokemon! It's very odd, though. If you don't know how to get it you will never come across it. IIRC Terrakion is much the same.

@Hydragon51: It's not exactly a commonly played game here, is it?
[+] Update 5: The Black Wave (Main Story Part 5)

Since I haven't mentioned it yet, when not taking over a kingdom, you have to click on the kingdom you have people in and "March" them somewhere else. You then see some guys with a little blue flag running wherever it is you sent them, unless it's a nonadjacent kingdom, in which case something else happens.

Grrrrg. Death occasionally happens, and it's annoying because it lowers the EXP you get after the match for the guy who isn't alive.

You know, aside from the obvious fact that losing a move per turn is a horrible maneuver. Don't sacrifice your own mons unless there's a very good reason to do so.

Either way, we recruit... hey, wait a minute. Do I know you?

Uh, wait, hold that thought. In Greenleaf there was a Gold Mine, and it's my new place to send people every month. Very soon I'll have enough money to buy the 18th Harmony Flute - the last I'll personally buy because there's probably no need for any more, and I can randomly acquire more if push comes to shove - and then we start saving for the millions I want before the main game ends.

It's a bit of a ways off. Gold Mines give you money based on how much Power you have in the Gold Mine, so after some shuffling later I have enough to pull 2300 or so regularly from here.

Make no mistake, if you can get a Level 3 Mine in the postgame, it's going to give you riches galore.

Yeah, ok, I thought so after seeing that Tepig guy.

Random events can happen in pretty much every normal place that isn't the Shop. In the Gold Mine, you occasionally encounter this guy, who will hand you a tool and say "you can get more gold with this." On the plus side, if it works, you get noticeably better results. On the minus side, it can fail, and you lose everything. Gloves are one of the three random items, they increase the profit the least but have the best chance of success (there's also the middle ground of the Shovel and I think a Pickaxe, and the high-risk-high-reward Hammer.)

Here's Mood Maker working on my enemies. But not me, unfortunately.

What fucking Electric Types? You can't get Electric Types yet! That'd be like saying Ice types work well on the Grass kingdom, but at least in that case there are Spheal in the Water kingdom and if you could catch things you could get one.

The enemy side in this mission is pretty similar to the Grass kingdom. I've gotten stronger since then. This isn't going to be pretty.

what are you doing there

go back to my warlord

Motochika's pretty cool, he has a music theme along with his water one. He keeps talking about a horrible black wave coming, too.

...Fuck, speaking of music! I've completely forgotten. All of the individual kingdoms have a unique battle theme. I'll post Greenleaf, Aurora, and Ignis when we get back to them, but for now here's Fontaine's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7u500Ai4Rw

His kingdom has significantly less gimmicks than Greenleaf so I'm not doing a big pan shot since I can sum them all up in one shot.

There are two Flood Gates connected to a waterwheel. If you hit the switch, the gates open or close, either restricting the water or letting it out. This doesn't bother Water types (since they can walk on the water), but it does bother all of your pokemon. Except the ones that fly. Flying Pokemon are really good guys.

Also, that fountain over there damages you if you end a turn next to it. My advice is to ignore that section of the battlefield because 90% of battles are going to be either on the defender side at that crossroad or at the gates themselves.

It is in no way ironic that Motochika's story is heavily focused on him fighting this "wave".

Sometimes, Motochika is dumb, and closes his own flood gates. Use that chance to get across.

You're a random Warrior, what are you going to do? Warriors sometimes get lippy randomly, it's just a thing that happens.

I let myself be silly and KOd Motochika himself with my Eevee. There was a strategic element to it though, and it let me in on a little fact...

The Top Speed Warrior Ability affects a Pokemon's range not for one move, but for one full turn. With Celebrate and the 4 Range Eevee, you could zip all over the map with that.

Anyway he opened the floodgates back up while I had guys in the canal. They get forced out and take a little bit of damage, damage which comes as Water Type damage.

His army was pretty much screwed from the outset though.

He then rides off into the sunset on a Samurott for about two more updates.

We got the rest of his team though.

It's not something I've mentioned, but when a Warlord has his or her Perfect Link with them, they get special sprites sometimes. The "surprised" sprite looks hilarious for quite a few Pokemon as well. But unfortunately, it's not something I'll often get to show off.

We know the tale of the legendary Pokemon, it's been explained before. But what she then tells us is new to the ingame trainer unless you read into what Motochika was saying or know the plot.

Let me just point out that this game is very, very good at making Nobunaga out to be this colossal badass destroyer man who is going around destroying the world to get the Legendary Pokemon.

Which is good, it makes the endgame reveal even better. And if any of you mention that before its time, I will end you.

Now we have three new places to invade!

But, uh, "Pugilis".

As in Pugilism.

As in Boxing.

As in FIGHTING TYPES.

>Yoshimoto
>Famed far and wide for courage and strength

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de3fl3IvtyE

Ok so anyway this arc of the game is mainly building up to the point where you can actually fight Yoshihiro and not get your shit pushed in. Good news - Pugilis is actually a pretty simple place to fight in if you know what you're doing and pack as many Flying types as possible (yet again the brokenness of Flying Types shows). Bad news - you're still forced into using Eevee and Jigglypuff, and Oichi still doesn't really have anything good worth getting instead. Also, Yoshihiro himself is certainly no pushover.

Also the region design continues to baffle. Unless, you know, you look up as far as you can, at which point you facepalm and go "for fuck's sake nintendo."

Goddamnit those were gloves!

So this is actually totally a lie, the enemy Warlords in the main game don't invade you as far as I know. I left a kingdom open for three months (and then reloaded state, it was for testing this) and the AI didn't bite.

EDIT MADE DURING IMAGE INSERTION: Ok, it's actually totally possible, we'll talk about that next time. You should never see it unless you're actually trying though.

Recruiting.

More recruiting. Oh hey, Magikarp!

The one interesting thing about Magikarp is that Splash is actually not entirely useless - it allows you to position which side is your front so you don't take damage. That has applications.

MAGIKARP: Once again, Magikarp is the prime example of a Pokemon that is absolutely terrible until it evolves, at which point it becomes the absurd shit wrecking king of destruction that it has every right to be (in every Gen but 2). We have both Warriors that can Perfect Link with it, and while not having a Warlord sucks, Gyarados can and will destroy all that oppose it.

We know Mood Maker, but what's the score on the other two?

Gulp: Ours has this. Every turn you're on water, you recover 1/8 of your max HP. Not all that amazing, honestly. Learnable by: Magikarp, Wooper.

Decoy: Every so often, the Decoy mon just randomly dodges attacks. This is totally random and very annoying, but so few Pokemon get it it's rare to see it against you. Learnable by: Magikarp, Driftloon, Drifblim.

WOOPER: Pretty sure it lost HP from the main series... Either way. Wooper is a really weak Pokemon, but Quagsire is actually pretty decent. The main thing of note about Quagsire is the fact that it's one of the best Pokemon with a Ground move in the game (it's probably third, and that counts the legendary of the Ground type), so Quagsire can be pretty handy.

We have two, both of which have Gulp (which we've covered). As for the other two abilities?

Deep Sleep: If you fall asleep, each turn you recover 1/8 of your HP. This is pointless and bad because falling asleep isn't something that's going to happen very often and it is not something you want to have happen to you. Also, you tend to wake up rather quickly after falling asleep anyway. Learnable by: Wooper, Quagsire, Bidoof, Biberal, Spheal, Sealeo, Munna, Snorlax.

Water Absorb: It's basically the same as canon, you heal HP when you get hit by a Water move. This is even better than in the game if you ask me because Water Moves tend to hit more than one thing at once, so with some positioning, you could have a Water Type heal a mon with this. And there's a number of good Water Types. Learnable by: Vaporeon, Wooper, Quagsire, Lapras.

PIPLUP: I tend to think of Piplup by the best person who uses Empoleon, who is a Warlord and also a good Warlord. But the whole line are surprisingly solid Water types, some of the better ones honestly. Part of that is STEEL TYPE IS BEST TYPE, I'll admit.

Torrent: Blaze did the thing it does in the normal game, so does Torrent. And so does Overgrow when we get something with that. This is what our two Piplups have. Learnable by: Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon.

Wave Rider: Lets you move more when you're on water. Unfortunately, not enough battles involve a big enough pond for this to be cool, except I think the Level 3 Ravine? Even then this one's an ability that would be much better if the game supported it more. Learnable by: Vaporeon, Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon, Lapras.

Pride: It's basically Guts - when you get hit with a Status Effect, your Attack raises. Unlike Guts, your Defense also raises. It's not honestly that bad of an ability, but it suffers from the severe problem that you do NOT want to get hit with statuses. Learnable by: Deino, Zweilous, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon, Haxorus, Zoroak, Rufflett, Braviary, Scizor.

(yes, all three of Piplup's line retain the same three abilities in all three forms. Very rare. Possibly exclusive to this line and technically Gastly.)

PANPOUR: Pansage is the best of the three, and Pansear is the worst, so Panpour is the unfortunate middle child. It's still easy to get ahold of and rather fast, but it suffers from an extraordinarily severe problem of being a Water type, when basically every other Water type kicks its ass. But hey, Stone Evo means it's easy to get one quickly, and it gets Brine as its attack so that has potential use.

We've actually seen all three abilities it has! Ours has Melee. Of the three, I'd say Dodge or Mountaineer are best.

It's funny to me that Koroku only really uses that Fire part of his specialty... for Darmanitan. But jokes aside, we'll be in range of Timburr in a few updates, and it's a damn good Pokemon - although there's a Warlord who does Conkeldurr better than this shmuck does, and he also has Mighty Blow. On the plus side, this game never said it had Species Clause...

The reason Nagayasu hated his Bidoof is because he's only really suited to Fire types. And he's shit out of luck in that regard because his Perfect Link, Darumaka, is unavailable until the missions. Also there's a Warlord who does Darmanitan better.

Hey, remember how that one guy was good because he got a Gyarados Perfect Link? So does Nobuchika, and they're the only two in the game. Crack Shot helps because Aqua Tail isn't perfect in terms of accuracy. Not really much to say here aside from "gyarados is really good guys".

Another unfortunate case, Morichika wants an Oshawott that I cannot provide him with. Truly a shame. His ability works well with it, too! His stats are good aside from Charisma though, so he'll at least see use in the mines or as a shop jockey.

Normally, when a character has unusual high links, it can be attributed to some historical detail, but Chikamasa is a real mystery - there's nothing to explain his link with Gallade or Bisharp. Of course, neither of those is his Perfect Link, as that is Wooper, which we can get him. Shout is always a good ability.

(on that historical detail stuff - there's some really interesting thought processes that went into the game if you look out for them. Family members with the same mons, obscure historical details painting Specialties, it's interesting.)

Norishige isn't that bad. Ampharos is kind of questionable, sure, and Bustle is going to have a fairly notable number of times where it just isn't useful, and his stats aside from Power are bad... but Power is the one that matters for Gold Mines, and Mareep is very obtainable, so I'll accept it all.

Takayori has good links with a lot of Water and Electric types... and Driftloon for some reason? Whatever, besides the point. Simipour is a swarm mon and I'm not blowing the password when there's another guy who needs it too. Fortify is as ok as it usually is. Really nothing notable here.

Some warriors I just don't like, and Tadasumi is one of them. Deep Breath works well with slow Pokemon, not speedy assholes like Zebstrika - and Zebstrika itself is honestly something I'm not a fan of in this game, since I find Galvantula to be better. Also I'm not entirely certain you can even get Zebstrika before you beat the game. He links well with Aggron too, which just feels weird. And those stats are bad, bad, bad, aside from the mostly useless Wisdom.

NEXT TIME: I take on Violight, and we start looking into getting some new mons caught.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Storm Luxray

June 3rd, 2016, 4:26 am #18

............Raichu? Really? Well, ******'sPerfect link is Raichu anyway.
(Spoiler because I don't know if you are going to play To Make The World Laugh{Japanese name})

[+] Spoiler

Morphin?!

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

clad in light eternal?

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

[+] Spoiler

Squiggy Azalea

June 3rd, 2016, 6:07 am #19

God, I remember Tadasumi and the fact that his perfect link was fucking Zebstrika. I thought I could get it, but... you can't. What a shame.

Speaking of Electric types, do you intend to get Go before going to Violight?
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
[♥] Let's do this.

Mattman324

June 4th, 2016, 3:17 am #20

[+] Replies
@Storm Luxray: Raichu is no joke. After looking them all over, if I had to rate the Electric lines, it'd go: Zekrom > Raichu > Jolteon >> Ampharos > Luxray > Galvantula > Zebstrika >>>> Emolga. And why would you spoil that? This is a 100% RUN. Why would I NOT do 100% of the game? That's stupid!

@Squiggy Azalea: I cannot get people that don't show up.
[+] Part 6: ANCIENT JAPANESE POWER PLANTS (Main Story Part 6)

If you go to the menu after saving, you'll open up the option to look at the gallery without going into your save file (handy in the missions), and the option to play competitive Pokemon Conquest, an option that I'm sure you're going to make extensive use of given Conquest's bustling PvP scene.

DAMNIT GUYS

You see those tiny little armies with the tiny little flags? That's my army Marching.

Oh? Remember how the random event of the Gold Mine occasionally gives you more money with a risk/reward factor? Well, this occasionally happens too.

Its success is... Well, I'll let the top screen speak for itself in terms of energy, especially compared to the shot before it.

Ginchiyo's army is no joke. She's the first Warlord to have an assistant Warlord, and all of her team is in the 20s. You can't just rush in with an Onix (or a Sandile since I believe it's possible to have a Warrior with one of those show up) either, since that Panpour is there. And she uses abilities a lot better than you might think. Nevertheless, I have a cunning strategy.

And that is to throw so much power at her that she's unable to cope with it.

Honestly, despite the fact that I'm (USUALLY! I think last update proved that I don't always make the best decisions) actually pretty solid when it comes to strategizing at this game, this is still the strategy I go in with most. Overwhelm the opponent with power that they cannot match. It always works in the main game, and while you need to run some edits in the missions to match it, it's still a solid ideal to work with once you work around the major flaw. Go in with enough bullshit that the opponent cannot handle, and handle said bullshit with the grace and accuracy of a wrecking ball.

When I am done here - and I WILL be done here - you will be so 180d that you might have trouble keeping balanced.

Man I forgot how amazing Muneshige is.

You see how his arm is like that? When he gets his Perfect Link (it's Staravia, that's why he has a Starly), it perches on his arm. Muneshige is fucking awesome.

You'll be dancing a whole other tune in less than four turns. And speaking of a tune!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnHJtmygl4o

Violight is another kingdom with pretty simple gimmicks. The electric ground can be walked on only by Electric types - and is a floor type IIRC totally exclusive to here. Of course, you can fly over it, as my Carnivine and their Starly shall soon prove. On top of that, those four buttons on the corners will cause the device in the middle to shoot lightning in every square in the other corner. The floor is even color coded to the buttons! Only the dark panels are safe.

There's one other minor gimmick, but it'll come up later.

More importantly is this. If you rush in all pell-mell, the Pichu will jump on this panel and shock half your team. A problem, yes?

Well, a problem if the only mons on that side aren't a Wooper and an Onix. He's not dumb enough to hit the button if it won't affect anything. Note that Muneshige's Starly also has 4 range, but as a Flying Type, cannot hit the button.

Part of this is Onix being shit, but part of it is the level disadvantage - Onix can beat this Starly 1v1, but it's no OHKO. This is sort of a good thing, though, because Onix cannot get that Starly to join my team.

Lulluby goes off, hitting the Mood Maker Pichu. Not terribly effective, but I'll take it.

The other gimmick of this stage is that sometimes, the Electric System goes off on its own, targeting specifically the areas not on the buttons. Like with Ignis, it's totally random. Unlike Ignis, it only goes off once and fails to hit anyone this time.

IIRC it always paralyses if it does hit though.

Two things to cover here. First, that's the message that you recruited Ginchiyo. Now, the reason this is important is that for every Warlord, there's a special qualifier you have to hit on top of any one of the other things you have to do to recruit a Warrior: You must finish them off with a Warlord specifically.

The other thing to cover is handled in the status screen on the top. You see, near the HP bar and the Energy, that little box? That's Paralysis. Jigglypuff and one or two other mons got Paralyzed this battle. Paralysis, in this game, lowers your speed (Which is the thing that affects evasion and accuracy here), and every so often makes you unable to move and attack - but you can still access Warrior abilities and items and whatnot.

Also Muneshige, I'm sure she'll return the favor in a way I actually care about. For that matter...

...so will you.

MMMMMM, that EXP.

It was 100% theoretically possible for me to recruit all the Warriors and also Ginchoyo and Muneshige, but I wanted to be certain to get those two, and the Mareep was being annoying because of its ability (Interference, which I'll explain later.). This I can accept.

Ginchiyo's big on the whole pride thing.

But yeah, her and Muneshige are all mine! And those two other shmucks.

Whenever you recruit a warrior, they give you a message. Some of the Warlord ones are pretty cool. Muneshige is in general pretty much just THE BEST - aside from Keiji - so.

Well no shit I'm trying to do that. Do you have any other way of doing things? I don't want to let little idiots like you take over my kingdoms.

NO.

DELEGATION IS FOR WEAK BABIES.

WE ARE NOT WEAK BABIES HERE AT MATTMAN324 CO. THIS IS A 0 TOLERANCE ZONE FOR DELEGATION.

Magikarp eventually uncovered a second item after a few turns of doing nothing on top of this thing. This is the sort of thing you should only attempt if you have a useless pokemon or just have way too many for the battle.

HAMMER TIME.

OH SHIT MAN IT'S KEIJI

HERE TO UNLOCK VITAL GAMEPLAY FEATURES FOR US.

And it is only now, this late into the game, that we can get better Pokemon for all our Warriors. PROGRESS.

Also, the game pointed out that I left a kingdom open. For kicks, I saved, and then let a few months roll by.

EVENTUALLY, the AI did decide to challenge the kingdom.
[+] A bit of skype chat
[6/2/2016 4:05:16 PM] Mattman32 44 SONIC: so I finally managed to bait the ai into attacking something in the main game
[6/2/2016 4:05:25 PM] Mattman32 44 SONIC: I left a kingdom completely open for three months
[6/2/2016 4:05:35 PM] Mattman32 44 SONIC: the AI eventually decided to attack
[6/2/2016 4:05:42 PM] ZeroTheMageKnight: who was it?
[6/2/2016 4:05:52 PM] Mattman32 44 SONIC: Fighting kingdom guy
[6/2/2016 4:06:18 PM] Mattman32 44 SONIC: now, that leads to an interesting point - what if I beat him in his own kingdom? Does the game prepare for me having my climactic fight against him in Fontaine?
[6/2/2016 4:06:29 PM] Mattman32 44 SONIC: someone should test that
[6/2/2016 4:06:32 PM] Mattman32 44 SONIC: I'm not going to
[6/2/2016 4:07:02 PM] ZeroTheMageKnight: I have in the main game if one of your kingdoms gets captured the game forces you to take it back before you can fight them in their own kingdom
[6/2/2016 4:07:13 PM] Mattman32 44 SONIC: oh
[6/2/2016 4:07:15 PM] Mattman32 44 SONIC: neat
So yeah.

Also, very silently, this menu opened up.

Passwords? What are those?

Well, there's two kinds of passwords. The first induces Swarms, allowing you to find rare and difficult to obtain Pokemon (a few of them are actual Swarm mons like Eevee and the Pan monkeys, but there are also things like Zoroak, Gyarados, and Dratini) in one kingdom under your control. You get one Password, so usually it's best to wait until everyone who can Perfect Link with that mon is in your control, and then use it. Annoyingly, unlike what I thought, Munchlax isn't passwordable despite being annoying to get, though.

The second kind is what we're doing today.

Much like the main series games and Mystery Dungeon Time and Darkness, there were events for this game. Unlike the main series games, and VERY unlike Time and Darkness, they realized that most of these events were going to be well outside player hands in all likelihood (the dawning realization of how badly they'd fucked T&D's event up was probably part of the reason they made Sky). So they made a backup. Each individual event has a password associated with it. One of those events (this one) is just a nice addition to your main game team, but three of the four are full fucking missions and the last one is an otherwise unobtainable Pokemon showing up, so we have to do all of those for 100%. Thus, we're doing this one as well, because eh, why not.

Unfortunately, the password takes a month to show up, and I didn't complete this month by the end of this update, so you'll see that next time.

So you know how Warriors walk from kingdom to kingdom if you March them? Well, this is what happens if they're not in adjacent kingdoms.

Just pointing out - Violight is an ancient Japanese POWER PLANT, and your Warriors get around via ancient Japanese ZEPPLINS. Plus, Mewtwo is in this (he's heavily advertised and IIRC even on the box so that's no spoiler), so that means that somewhere along the lines we must have had ancient Japanese CLONING.

Ransei's all fucked up in terms of technology is what I'm trying to say. There's another bad example late in the game of things that should not be in the late Sengoku period, too.

So, recruiting new Pokemon. I'll cover it more next time, but all you really need to know is that Gold = Good, Silver = something for Warlords to look into, Bronze = don't, nothing at all = REALLY don't, and the thing with a red slash through it = You can't even attempt to do Link, man.

PICHU: Like you'd expect out of a Baby Pokemon, Pichu is absolute fucking shit. And Friendship Evos in this game mean you need a 50% or more Link to evolve them, so getting it to at least Pikachu is difficult. But Pikachu acquits itself by being a little dodgy bastard with a strong move, and Raichu... let me tell you a story of power in this game. Judgement has a power of 55. Bolt Strike, being only one space, has slightly more power, at 57. Rock Wrecker and Roar Of Time offset their obvious weaknesses by being 58, the best in the game... And that's what Volt Tackle is. Raichu's stats are only average, but its ludicrously powerful move punches it straight to the top in terms of effectiveness. And it has a Perfect Link with a Warlord. Hell yes.

Mood Maker you know (ours has this), but as for the other ones?

Static: It's canon Static. If the opponent comes into contact with you, they might get Paralysed. Learnable by: Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Mareep, Flaaffy, Ampharos, Emolga.

Sequence: A funny little ability. It raises the power of your attacks when you're close to other Electric types. This might sound great to you, but a warning: any team with a bunch of Electric Types is also one that is going to hit a wall the minute something with Lightningrod shows up. Learnable by: Pichu, Shinx, Luxio, Luxray, Joltik, Galvantula.

SHINX: Shinx has an extraordinarily serious problem in that its final mon, Luxray, is almost entirely inferior to Ampharos, only winning in terms of Speed and abilities (and that only barely.) That said, it Perfect Links to a Warlord and Ampharos does not, so eh. Aside from that particular Warlord I'd really never use this for purposes other than Perfect Links though.

Ours has Sequence (unfortunately) and we know Celebrate, so the only new one is... actually probably its best given future considerations.

Intimidate: You know how Intimidate blows Double Battles away? Well, it does that here too. It lowers Attack at the beginning of each user turn for every enemy within two spaces, and that will only wear off next turn. An amazing ability. Learnable by: Ekans, Arbok, Gyarados, Staravia, Staraptor, Shinx, Luxio, Luxray, Sandile, Krokorok, Krookodile.

STARLY: Remember how we were talking about the strongest attacks in the game, and how Volt Tackle made Raichu one of the best mons? Well, imagine Raichu, except airborne and the range on its move is slightly different. That's Staraptor. Staraptor is fucking amazing and is even better for having good abilities and a good Warlord to Perfect Link with. It's also probably the most generally useful mon in the game, because Staravia is so easy to get - I could probably pull one before Link Level 40 on a weak Warlord, and that's great.

Hero and Celebrate you know, but ours has Keen Eye.

Keen Eye: It's canon. Makes it so Accuracy can't be dropped. It might be Starly's best ability though, not because it's great, but because of what Staraptor replaces it with (hint: also normal). Learnable by: Starly, Rufflet, Braviary.

Ah, it's a good thing we're finally getting to Warlords. Ginchiyo (who for some reason I misspell as Ginchoyo a lot) is basically just a massive Electric specialist, with the main problem that her Perfect Link is Luxray instead of, say, Ampharos or Galvantula. Oh well. She's based off a woman who ended up a family during the fucking Sengoku period, and that is awesome.

From Ginchoyo to her husband (...if they're actually married in this?), Muneshige is one of the best Warlords in the game. His Perfect Link is the amazing Staraptor, he is available in pretty much every scenario, his 70% and up links are pretty good (72% with all the Eeveelutions, 90% with every Flying type except the obvious Rayquaza, he's got some goddamn deep links overall), and he's just generally amazing. Also his Rank 2 ability is one of the best blitz abilities in the game. Muneshige's a powerhouse.

Pretty much the only thing about him is that in every story after this one he starts with Emolga, but we've got him registered in the Gallery so we're never forced to use shit.

Shoun is pretty big on power, if you couldn't tell. He loves his power. He's like that one Old Spice guy, you know the one. And the only thing he loves more than power are ELECTRIC TYPES, including his Perfect Link, the Mareep line. (also a 70% link with shieldon i dunno)

Otomo Sorin is actually a fairly important historical figure, though the fact that this game seems to consider one of the major figures in Japanese history to convert to Christianity and who made major contact with the Europeans as someone who links with the Dark (read: Evil in the original language) type makes me wonder... his Perfect Link is Pichu's line though, so who even knows.

NEXT TIME: We discuss Links, we discuss Passwords, we discuss the discus.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler