Forum rules
Post your non-nuzlockes, Let's Plays, walkthroughs and the like here! Good luck to everyone!

Tenacious and Strong Bonds: Let's Play Super Robot Wars GC

Mattman324
Conqueror of the Oreburgh Gym

June 17th, 2016, 6:43 pm #1

Welcome, one and all, to SRW GC.

What in the world...?

Super Robot Wars is a long running series of strategy RPGs made by Banpresto - a subsidiary company of Bandai, now fully owned by Bandai-Namco Games (which has taken over the reins recently) in the same vein as Fire Emblem and its ilk. Started at approximately the same time too. What makes it stand out from most of its compatriots, of course, is the fact that it's a MASSIVE CROSSOVER - all your favorite, least favorite, and possibly unloved giant robot anime/manga/video games/action figures of Hatsune Miku as a Virtual On character (SERIOUSLY THAT WAS A THING) have a chance of being in any given game. Also occasionally powered armor and giant spaceships get in, but that's a different matter.

Ok, so context for this one?

Banpresto/BN Games has a number of different groups working on a SRW game at any given time because the franchise is a pretty big seller. One of their longest running teams got together for SRW 64, and then moved over to the Game Boy Advanced, where they stayed until the DS era, and then on that until the 3DS era, where they are currently at now. (Most recent release from them as of this posting was BX, a fairly solid game.)

That is, except for one oddball. Anyone who looked through their release timeline would notice that the only year break they took in the GBA era was 2004, between their release of D and their release of J. That's because in 2004, they were working on SRW GC, a game on a rather underselling console that was their second attempt at 3D (their first attempt being Alpha for the Dreamcast, a game most notable for its horrific load times and horrible broken balance even compared to Alpha 1). So Banpresto didn't really think the game would sell.

That was a good thing, because it meant that the guys making the game could go completely off the wall in terms of what they did with the game. A lot of major mechanics were implemented, old ideas from the GBA era that would never get touched on again got to take a try, it was their first attempt at a new enemy targetting system (...which is a bad thing but more on that later), and plotwise, this game would for the first time have a heavy focus on Gundam's One Year War. And also a heavy focus on DEEP SPACE of all the other things to work with. Oh, and it was the first game without Toei's Mazinger Z! Instead it had Mazinkaiser, in the single time that series was vocal (that's also a bad thing but more on that much later.)

What you get is a game that's actually moderately difficult by the franchise standard (which went from "this game hates you" difficulty to "kittens" difficulty at around 1999 and never really looked back), includes a lot of series that are rare in SRW, includes three series that are only in GC, and some other general oddities (Shin vs Neo Getter in one of its two appearances, the fourth Nagahama's second and last appearance, the third Invincible's second appearance and last before the Z series, Mazinkaiser without its movie, OYW Gundam's trio of properties in the last appearance they had aside from OE...).

You also get a game that sold like crap, because strange looking game + meh console + poor graphics at a time when that was starting to mean a lot = no one really cared. But not all hope was lost! GC was given to a second team, and was repolished, refurbished, repackaged, bug-fixed, and sent out on a new console to make itself a new name!

That console was the Xbox 360. For a Japan-only game.

Poor, poor XO. It doesn't stop there, even! XO included a new multiplayer mode that Banpresto thought would be a pretty interesting draw with its interesting mechanics. XO may have failed, but they took that mode out and stuck a bunch of units from J, W, and K in it and sold it! And Gakuen failed miserably, thus ending literally everything GC related until its turn finally came around for OG.

Uh... tl;dr?

THIS GAME HAS A FUCKING SPACE STEAM LOCOMOTIVE AND YOU CAN RUN PEOPLE OVER WITH A SPACE STEAM LOCOMOTIVE THAT IS ALSO A TRANSFORMING ROBOT. IT IS AWESOME.

Oooo, that's a new one on me, and I'm a SRW fan! What's the cast list on this, again?

Specifically that's the J9-III. The cast list here is:

~ Mobile Suit Gundam
~ Mobile Suit Gundam (Movies) (JUST HERE FOR MUSIC IN A GAME WITH NO MODERN BGM SWAP)
~ Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
~ Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Squad
~ Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (UNITS ONLY)
~ Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
~ Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (ENTIRELY PLOTLESS, ALL UNITS ARE SECRETS)
~ Metal Armor Dragonar
~ Heavy Metal L-Gaim
~ Blue Comet SPT Layzner
~ Mazinkaiser (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo
~ Invincible Robo Trider G7
~ Future Robo Daltanius
~ Super Bestial Machine God Dancouga
~ Dancouga: Requiem For The Lost
~ God Bless Dancouga (ONLY HERE FOR WEAPONRY FOR DAN THE COOL GUY)
~ Galactic Cyclone Braiger
~ Galactic Gale Baxinger (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Galactic Whirlwind Sasuraiger (PLOTLESS for the most part) (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Strongest Robo Daioja (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Absolutely Invincible Raijin-Oh (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Absolutely Invincible Raijin-Oh - OVA 2 (SERIES DEBUT, ONLY IN GC, HERE FOR A SINGLE SECRET ROBOT. Apparently they couldn't get the license for XO)

Wait, Trider and Dancouga not plotless? All three J9s? Daio-what the heck is Daioja?

This is still the only game where Trider has major plot (it had a teeny bit in Z2-2 but that barely counts), yes. Dancouga not only has plot, this game is the first in the franchise to include something in literally every game with the thing afterwards that isn't X-O (X-O doesn't count). Also it named "Shapiro's Combat Mecha" into "Desire". And it and its remakes provided names for the generic mooks too!

And yeah the J9s are assembled. Despite there being a 600 year gap between Braiger and Baxinger, and 200 more years between Bax and Sasu.

"Daioja" is Mito Komon IN SPACE IN A GIANT ROBOT, which basically just means it's the greatest thing ever. It also has a ludicrously catchy theme and is pretty damn solid even as Supers go in this game. (If you don't know what Mito Komon is, go look it up.

Neat, anything else?

Hmm... Oh yeah! This run is being hosted on two forums. One has a more expansive version of each update because I can use 75 images in any given post, the other is a more brief version since I can only use 10. The link to the other run is here

Without further ado, let's dive straight into the game.
[+] Part 1: Even when aliens attack the Earth, Zeon still rebels.

GC grants the choice of either a Male starter or a Female one. It then grants either one the choice of robot. This does mean you can stick male in the Real, and female in the Super, and that's great and all!

...But I'm used to Female/Real so we're going with that. The Female Akemi (she's officially Akemi now even though she was Akimi in this game) starts with Hit And Away, while the Male Akimi starts with Counter, which... really means both will work in either robot but it sort of pigeonholes Female to be better at the snipier versions of the Super.

Oh yeah, the robots.

The Super is the one getting into OGMD, and is the only robot from GC outside of MAYBE the final boss able to get into OGMD, because it's the only real original one instead of being ripped from Sunrise Eiyuuten. The Soul Saber is comprised of three parts, the head - the Head Saber, the cockpit of the mech and a small flying plane - the upper body - which comes in either F (Fighter) or G (Gunner) varieties, and the bottom half, which comes in either F (Fast) or G (Guard) varieties. In this game, thanks to the wonders of being 3D models, you can actually pick and choose what you want - FF, FG, GF, or GG are all options! It upgrades later with the Saber Booster, a flying craft which can connect with the Head Saber to form the Head Saber Booster (CREATIVE NAMING HERE), or the full Soul Saber to make the Super Soul Saber. The Super Soul Saber is fucking awesome and has one of the best finishers in the franchise... I've never actually used the thing for very long though.

The Real, however, I have used. Many times. It's known as the Soul Gunner, and it's a fast, shooty mech that relies heavily on its four inbuilt weapons - two range moves, two close range moves. But none of its attacks dip below 3 range and that is amazing and I love it. Later on it gets smashed and you upgrade to the machine it was based on, the Soul Lancer, which is the Soul Gunner except better in every way and also it can transform. I fucking love the Soul Gunner and Soul Lancer, and was really hoping to see little MP Soul Gunners in a later OG game, especially since it's a FLIGHT BASED GRUNT which OG needs kind of sorely with Lions not so common on the ally side... but alas, rights issues.

GC has a partial translation patch that a few cool guys on /m/ are working on. Props to them, but the partial version slows my GC-playing down by quite a bit, so I'll just go without until the full version is out. There is, fortunately enough, a full translation guide of the Female/Real route in this game.

We start in the depths of space, where one of the most generic looking evil emperors and his lady-friend talk about using the mighty power of C.U.B.E. to take over the universe.

Wait, C.U.B.E., as in...

yeah it's not exactly subtle. You'll be interested to know that in XO, it was renamed to... XENON, I think. Here's hoping MD will rename it to something silly like YNOS or whatever.

Anyway, cut to Earth. A wild text scrawl appears! Which I didn't screencap because I skipped it, bleh.
wrote:Universal Century 0079.
Many years have passed since mankind began to
live in space under the Earth Federation.

The destruction of the Mars base a few years ago
signified the arrival of unknown forces hostile to humanity.

In order to combat the alien threat, the Federation placed
defense units all over the Earth sphere.
However, many new foes suddenly appeared.
The Mecha Beast Army, the Dinosaur Empire, the
Evil Empire, and the Robot Empire. The defense units
were no match for their advanced tech.

The Far East branch requested assistance
from the Photon Power Lab, Saotome Lab, Earth
Defense Class, Takeo General Company, and Mogami
Heavy Industries in order to deal with this new threat.

Groups opposing the Federation's policies sprang up,
upset that only Earth was being defended.

Side 3's Principality of Zeon and the moon's Giganos
Empire pressed onward as the elite of space
immigrants, forming a united front to wage a war of
independence against the Federation. Several months
have passed since the war escalated to this level.

Earth's peace is in jeopardy.
The planet is under attack!
Ok, first of all, two things. One: SHIN FUCKING GETTER EXISTS RIGHT NOW AND HAS TWO PILOTS, WHY IS IT STILL FORCED INSIDE THE BASEMENT OF THE SAOTOME LABS? This is kind of a plot hole and GC never really answers it. Second, Giganos and Zeon are even bigger dumbasses than usual. At no point in the game do we really see any attacks on space colonies perpetuated by actual alien hostiles - well ok, that's not 100% true, but it's very nearly that true and that's a problem - and indeed, some of those horrible forces (The Dinosaur Empire and Dr. Hell) are Earthbound in the first place. Brilliant fucking job. It's even worse because we'll be seeing a whole hell of a lot of Zeon and wasting time on a lot of Zeon when we could be going after actual fucking aliens and Dr. Hell and shit.

Zabis gonna Zabi I guess.

We cut to a few years before the text scrawl (uh, why have the scrawl before it, then?) where two guys - Zuiun Akatsuki and his assistant Jinpuu - found a mysterious pod on the beach. Inside the pod is one FINE ALIEN LADY, but she faints dead off, and Zuiun decides to be a humanitarian and call an emergency crew from his company - oh yeah, should mention, Mogami Heavy Industries from the scrawl? This guy owns that company. He's a fucking boss and I love his character.

Cut to the present, where Zuiun has what I can only assume is the greatest shit eating grin in the world. The alien - Fairey Firefly, because Banpresto likes doing that - not only gave them access to a cool, high tech alien robot to study and make a good MP version of, but she's a good secretary, is a test pilot for the machine, helped design said MP version, and has a fucking degree already from a British university. Also she's a great influence to his daughter.

Fairey comes into the room and notes that the test unit is ready, but the main pilot isn't quite there yet. Akemi doesn't particularly want to pilot the giant robot (before any one of you fuckers says anything about certain shows from the mid 90s, no, this is a fucking common thing dating back to the goddamn 70s - Duke Fleed, people! - and I refuse to allow you to bring that outdated and dumb meme here.) and is as stubborn as her father in some regards. Zuiun notes that by the same token she's as hot blooded as he is. Jinpuu notes that if she goes on that path, there'll be no turning back... Fairey notes that while Akemi has talent, it may not have been the wisest choice to make her the pilot of a unit like that, since that'll make her a target. Zuiun does not refute this by saying that the Soul Gunner is difficult to hit and can lay down a major smackdown (I totally would!), and instead just says that he's the boss and it's his choice. And then he realizes she's nowhere to be found because she went out to town, which doesn't sit well with him.

In town we see Akemi pretending to be a blowfish.

But seriously she's talking to herself about how the town looks a lot bigger when not in a giant robot, and realizes how silly she must sound - normal girls don't pilot giant robots! She should probably go back to be a normal gi-

And it's at exactly that moment that aliens start attacking the town. GOOD SENSE OF TIMING GUYS! She sees someone get hit by some rubble, and forces him to let her lok at his wounds. They're not bad, so she bandages him up and tells him to run. The boy goes "seriously stop bossing me around" but she continues to not listen, instead introducing herself. His name is Sieg - the translation guide amusingly refers to him as Jeeg - and the two get into an argument almost immediately like all old married couples do.

Zuiun sees the attack and tells Fairey to start up the robot, and if need be, launch by herself. Fairey's not able to bring the full power of the Soul Gunner out by herself, but fortunately for her and the player (Real Subpilot Fairey has NO STATS AT ALL aside from SP, that'd not go over well) Akemi gets to the hanger. She apologizes for her lateness but notes that she was getting someone to a shelter. And thus her attempt at a normal life immediately ends.

Elsewhere, Watta Takeo is playing dodgeball and having a generally fun time being a kid, when the attack suddenly hits. This looks like a job for the Takeo General Company! His vice president picks him up, and he runs off to go launch in Trider G7. (Which I really wish had subs because it's an Invincible and the other two were good and it looks amazing.)

Oh hey, it's the army guy from Raijin-Oh!

Watta launches, and is immediately warned to please not fire so many missiles because they're quite expensive and it has a perfectly usable Beam Cannon anyway.

A number of enemies from the Robot Empire show up - Trider grunts on stage 1! - followed by those fucking Exhausts from the Evil/Jaaku Empire (Raijin-Oh) and a few Mechasauruses. This is way too much shit for Watta to handle, honestly, so it's a good thing the Soul Gunner shows up.

Watta immediately yells at them for taking the job from them, and one of his assistants ask him to please not say that since we're both allies in destroying the world. Akemi and Watta butt heads - well, Watta butts heads while Akemi tries to defuse the situation, but fortunately for them, it gets forcibly defused by the appearance of three more allies.

Ken-Oh, Hou-Oh, and Juu-Oh are on the scene! The Earth Defense Class shows up, and Watta says that they should leave to because they're taking his valuable profits that he needs to keep his company afloat. The EDF is annoyed by this, but they still want to help...

...and they combine their three robots into the mighty Raijin-Oh!

And then you, the new player, probably Game Overs after attempting what you'd do in any other SRW and rushing all your guys towards the enemies when they tear one of your three guys to bits. GC is unforgiving and will murderize you on the first stage if you don't start playing its game fast.

What you actually want to do is get everyone near defensive terrain and plop them down on it (Maybe not Soul Gunner getting plopped down, it has S Sky and only A Air, but still).

What's with that fire?

The fires of FRIENDSHIP!

Friendship bonuses were something the Nintendo Handheld team loved using for a while. Stick two guys who know each other next to each other, they get a boost to their evasive ability and accuracy, or maybe stick two people with Love boosts together and get some extra firepower! But one of the things they did in the earlier games that used friendship was make it so that the OG character could be friends with everyone. GC is where they took that system and made it better - now EVERYONE can be friends with everyone! All they need to do is spend time near each other and I think support each other sometimes and boom, they're friends.

I'll get into all the nitty gritty mechanics shit in a few updates when I'm in a sub scenario, but I will say this - if you rush your guys in like the game wants, either the Mechasauruses are going to be absurdly more accurate than they need to be and will shoot down the Soul Gunner, or Raijin-Oh is going to get broken in half by Exhausts. Trider at least stands a chance against its own enemies without dying, but that's mostly because of its big HP pool making it tankier. Like this, though, only a few enemies will aim for you each turn, and the damage they deal will be healed away by the terrain.

Those enemies will all aim for Trider so it's best that Trider gets the best terrain and be kept constantly renewed with spirits. Anyone who's played J and W might know why - and is probably facepalming with an "oh no, not this one too" - but keep this in mind. I am mitigating the damage to Trider by having Soul Gunner support defend it, since the only pilot who matters and has Cover is Akemi.

That way, when Watta DOES get hit, it'll bounce off his Fortitude and he'll get spared one more hit per turn. There aren't more than four or so enemies in range at any given moment, so that's fine.

Oh, quick thing worth mentioning - Raijin-Oh may be combined, but it CAN split into Ken-Oh, Hou-Oh, and Juu-Oh. They even have a comboattack of reasonable strength... that's less than Raijin-Oh's second strongest move and is more expensive. Splitting is interesting, but honestly it's not that important, EXCEPT for the fact that it allows for something else to happen. More on that later.

What IS worth mentioning now is that every enemy you hit has not only their Body, but also their Head, Arms, and Legs. There's no real reason to make a point of this now, but in a few stages it will become vitally important for the most interesting thing in GC.

Also one enemy from all three groups have parts and will use them if they're left low on health. Careful of that.

When you beat the Raijin-Oh enemies, Belzeb and Falzeb yell at Taida for his failure. When you beat the Robot Empire grunts, Ondron realizes that the Earth's robots might be a little more powerful than he thought.

At some point, Sieg - who left his shelter - comments on the Soul Gunner, calling it similar to the Soul Lancer and wondering why Earth would build something like that.

When you beat all nine enemies, the scenario ends.

Fairey reminds Akemi that her father is going to be mad that she skipped the meeting. Jin (main pilot of Raijin-Oh) laughs at her, but quickly stops as his sort-of-kind-of-crush-I-guess? Maria yells at him. After some dialogue, the Raijin-Oh pilots decide to go back to school and not invoke Maria's wrath. And then Akemi says that everything was on the open channel. Of course.

Later, at the Takeo workplace, Watta finds out that the city needs the money they would have used to pay them had to be used to repair everything, so they got the equivalent of an IOU... meaning their company is still in the red. Still, this was very positive press, so hopefully that'll mean more jobs.

Meanwhile, Ondron is getting berated by his superior, Zakron, who says that Earth is only a B-Class Target and there shouldn't be so many failures! Ondron notes that there are a whole bunch of other factions screwing around, but Zakron turns that on him by saying that he should use them to his advantage! After they sign off, Ondron wonders why they're going through so much effort for a B-Class target in the first place.

(Uh, Ondron? You're working with the Layzner enemies. They attacked Mars a few years back. You're fighting Earth because they are.)

NEXT TIME: I explain the intermission menu!
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
29 Perfect nuzlockes. 142 caught in one of them. SAIKYOU NO NUZLOCKER

My most recent one? An event run!

Storm Luxray
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym

June 17th, 2016, 10:37 pm #3

Matt don't run yourself to death.

Also, watching this. Looks fun.
Active-ness: Sporactic.

[+] Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScAnxCUQ-Jk
In a blazing burst of color,
comes a duo clad in gold and silver,
deleting all in our way as we Boost Up!

Escaping from the soundless void of hyperspace,
My very arrival is a shockwave upon this world
Stand in my way, and there?ll be no saving you
This is my show, and no-one?s gonna stop me

Morphin?!
Shining bright like the sun stands Beet Buster
Radical new power stands before you
With my highest-quality buddyroid, Stag Buster
We?ll soar through the sky as we Boost Up!

What?s the point in people or robots being perfect?
Strive to be like others, and you?ll just lose yourself
So show me just how strong you can really be
How resolute are you to take back what you love?

Morphin?!
As radiant as the sun stands Beet Buster
My assault will never be stopped!
Cutting like thunder, comes the jet-like Stag Buster
We?ll soar through the sky as we Boost Up!!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

clad in light eternal?

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

[22:20:19] genuine problems: anyway the moral of the story is: if you're obese you're more likely to die
[22:21:20] Bullet: what
[+] Spoiler
My Deviantart, please checxk it out!

Mattman324

June 20th, 2016, 1:57 am #4

[+] Replies
@DonRavioli: Akemi is a cute! A CUTE!

@Storm Luxray: I'm not going to run myself to death, jeez.
Anyway, let's do this.
[+] Intermission 1: In which the Intermission Screen is talked about.

And so we come to the Intermission menu. Now, as it happens, I do have a picture of the menu from the translation thread that is translated, so I'll use it for ease of understanding.

Unit Status - Lets you look at the abilities and stats of each individual unit.

Upgrade Units - Lets you use your credits to upgrade your units.

Equip Parts - Equip parts you find during missions or scrap enemy units for shhhh we'll get to that

Equip Frames - Very rarely used menu that lets you put frames on the rare units that have those. Offhand, I can think of two units that do, but there might be a third. We don't have any now though. We would if we were playing Super, though! The main use of this menu you'll see is on the Super route, switching the various Soul Saber forms.

Weapon Stats - This lets you look at what the weapons of each unit are. Kinda pointless, this should have been shoved into the Unit Status stuff, but whatever.

Upgrade Wpns/Weapons - Upgrade screen for weaponry.

Pilot Status - Lets you look at your pilots.

Skill Parts - Lets you assign Pilot Skill Parts. These work like in D or J, not like W, K, L, UX, or BX - each pilot has a limited number of slots for you to put parts into.

Assign Pilot - This lets you assign pilots whenever there's an option for pilot swapping. The individual pilot swap groups in this game are:

~UC Gundam (anyone from Mobile Suit Gundam, 0080, The 08th MS Squad, Zeta Gundam, or Gundam ZZ can swap into any unit from Mobile Suit Gundam, 0080, The 08th MS Squad, Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ, or Char's Counterattack.)
~Metal Armor Dragonar
~Blue Comet SPT Layzner
~Heavy Metal L-Gaim
~Heavy Metal L-Gaim (Fairy Subpilot System)
~Mazinkaiser
~Raijin-Oh (This one's special, it's related to a secret we'll get in the late 00s but won't get to actually use until the 30s.)

Shop - Much as in J, W, and many other games in this series, GC has a shop where you can sell items and skill parts. And sell one other thing but shhhh.

System Config - OPTIONS MENU.

Save - Take a guess.

Load - A real stumper, this.

Next Mission - Go to the next mission.

We'll check out the Pilot Status first.

Here's my MC as of the end of last mission. Now, get a good look at what her stats look like now...

...because they'll be like this for the rest of the run.

What.

GC is one of a very notable number of games that runs off LEVEL SCALING. By that, I mean that the enemies scale to the average level of the top... twenty? Fifteen? pilots of your team. So if everyone is at 99, that means that every enemy will also be at 99.

Ok, but why are you doing this?

In two levels, there's a way to infinitely grind to the point where you naturally reach Level 99. I've DONE THIS before. Hell, my last run did it! And you know what the problem with that method is?

It's fucking boring as shit.

And I don't feel like doing this, so we're just going to pretend I did it and not say anything. I also boosted my funds to a good bit lower than what they'd be with that method + being on NG+ (which is something I'd be doing if I still had my completed files, but unfortunately I lost them a bit over two years ago). I'll be limiting what I can do with those.

All that out of the way, let's talk pilots. First, we'll get the big thing at the bottom right, the thing that GC did DIFFERENTLY, out of the way first.

SKILL ACES.

GC introduced an entirely new system to replace the usual Ace Pilot system - which in that day was still just "at 50 kills you start with 105 will and get a bit more money per kill" since unique Ace bonuses were a bit away. But not content with just having one bonus, they made SEVEN ACE BONUSES!

(I also cheated to give everyone every ace bonus, albeit not the full version for the Kill Ace part - that's why everyone has 100 more kills than they should. I did this for nearly every character once and if I didn't cheat it then my OCD would make me go insane spending months doing it again, and I think you'd prefer having updates to having no updates if you're following this.)

MELEE ACE: To get this, do 100 Melee attacks. When you do, your Pilot's Melee stat goes up by 10, your weapon hit rate goes up by 5, and your movement goes up by 1. It's sort of a shitty version of Infight, but no one can deny the use of Movement +1... which is why getting this for Gundam pilots is both important and very painful. Be warned, that there are a few people in this game who cannot and can never obtain Melee Ace - two of them are Battleship pilots and one is the pilot of Braiger's alt-forms.

RANGE ACE: To get this, do 100 Range attacks. When you do, your Pilot's Range stat goes up by 10, your weapon hit rate goes up by 5, and the weapon range on all Ranged weapons goes up by 1. A shitty version of Gunfight to go with Infight, but given that GC involves huddling a lot of units together, extra Range is HUGE.

DODGE ACE: To get this, dodge 100 attacks. When you do, your Pilot's Mobility stat goes up by 10... and that's it. The worst of the Aces by far, but a valuable one nonetheless.

DEFENSE ACE: To get this, get hit 100 times. Support Defense COUNTS in this. When you do, your Pilot's Defense stat goes up by 10, and their unit's Armor also goes up by 10%. Much better than Dodge Ace, this is REQUIRED for any unit to tank hits in the early game, and will be a requirement to make most units tank hits without spirits.

SKILL ACE: Redundant title aside, this is the most important Skill Ace, and to get it you only need to make 50 Critical Hits happen. When you do, not only does your Skill stat go up by 10 - Skill being the stat that determines criticals, special defense activations, and all manner of important things - but the EN cost on all your weapons goes down by 10%, like a miniature E-Save! Very important given the lack of E-Save in this game.

KILL ACE: The normal Ace, but in this game it comes in five layers. At 50 kills, your Starting Will will always be at 105 and your unit gets 10% more cash per kill, at 100 kills the Will starts at 110 and you get 20% more cash per kill, at 150 it stays at 110 and it's 30% more, at 200 it's 40% more, and at 250 it's a full 50% extra money per kill! I'm starting everyone at the second level, but I don't doubt that I'll be getting people at the last level by the end because I sure as hell do every other run where I don't max aces out immediately.

SPIRIT ACE: The second most important Skill Ace, to get it you must cast 100 Spirits. Once you do, not only do you get 10 more SP, but the cost of all Spirits go down by 10%! Now, this is a vitally important spirit, of course, but there is one major flaw with it - Pure subpilots CANNOT GET THIS ACE, despite it being theoretically possible, due to a glitch. They can't get any Ace, actually, but that's the only one that matters. XO fixed this, but we're not playing XO.

Knowing that I have all the Aces, you might realize that Akemi gained less than 100 Melee, Defense, and EVASION going from Level 3 to level 99 if you compare screenshots. Get used to that. Stat increases in GC are problematic for the most part to make up for you being able to grind them out, and as in most games, they inherently favor offensive stats so taking hits becomes much harder at level 99.

Anyway, skill aces out of the way, let's look at Akemi, hmm?
[+] Spoiler
AKEMI AKATSUKI - REAL:

SP: 60-158

Melee: 146-244
Range: 154-311
Accuracy: 137-268 (Accuracy may not have a skill ace, but remember, Melee Ace and Range Ace increase the stat by 5 each)
Evasion: 127-225
Defense: 95-193
Skill: 170-301

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 5, 2 at 10, 3 at 15, 4 at 20, 5 at 25, 6 at 35, 7 at 40, 8 at 45). Prevail makes it so that at low HP, you get more of pretty much every stat. The higher your level, the higher it starts activating, and the better the bonuses eventually get.
COVER: (1 at 3, 2 at 15, 3 at 30). Anyone here played Alpha Gaiden? You know how Support Attack and Support Defend were one ability? That ability was Cover. This grants you the ability to support yourself.
HIT AND AWAY: (at start). Hit And Away lets you move after attacking. It's horribly rare, so the Female OG starting with it is huge.

Spirits:

Focus: Level 1, costs 10. (Focus increases evasion and accuracy by a flat 30% for the rest of the turn. As this isn't OE, that's always a good thing.)
Flash: Level 3, costs 10. (Flash lets you dodge a single attack. Useful!)
Accel: Level 15, costs 5. (Increases your Movement Range by 3. If you want to grind for her Spirit Ace, use this.)
Hot Blood: Level 25, costs 35. (That is a REALLY LOW COST Hot Blood! Hot Blood doubles the damage your next attack is going to do, so use it for bosses.)
Love: Level 35, costs 90. (This one's a big one. Love casts pretty much every buff in the game, but it has the price of... well, look at how much it costs! Even at level 99 and with Spirit Ace we can barely cast it twice! Still, useful if you don't want to burn a Cheer and Bless.)
Zeal: Level 50, costs 50. (Zeal lets you move again after your first move. This is a quite cheap Zeal, so that's a nice thing to have. Also it's one of the few buffs not in Love.)

But Akemi is not alone in the cockpit. There's also her subpilot, Fairey Firefly, to consider!

FAIREY FIREFLY - REAL:

SP: 40-138

SPIRITS: (Fun fact, her second spirit aside - Super Fairey gets Accel instead - her entire spirit pool doesn't change whether Real or Super. Nifty.)

Trust: Level 1, costs 25. (Trust gives any machine on the map of your choosing 2000 HP back. But that only applies to the Body - Healing Spirits can't heal parts.)
Assault: Level 5, costs 25. (Assault is one of those spirits that's very useful to have. When you use it, all attacks that aren't MAPs become P for one turn! You can shoot enemies from pretty far away with this, especially when used with...)
Snipe: Level 10, costs 20. (Snipe raises your range by 2. I forget if it's for one attack or one turn, as that changes depending on the game. What also changed in this game is a special secondary function that Snipe has that will come up as very important in a few missions...)
Bless: Level 20, costs 40. (Bless can be cast on any pilot on the field, and if their next attack kills the enemy, it'll be for x2 money. LUDICROUSLY USEFUL.)
Aid/Devotion: Level 45, costs 25. (A strange spirit that seems to come and go in the franchise. Aid gives one ally 10 SP.)
Renew: Level 55, costs 60. (Don't let that high cost fool you, this is possibly the most important spirit on the list aside from Bless. It allows you to Resupply one unit anywhere on the map at NO WILL COST. There's at least one unit in this game who is going to require a Renew every turn or two in the lategame.)
Moving on to our other pilots, we have Watta, pilot of Trider G7.
[+] Spoiler

WATTA TAKEO

SP: 70-168

Melee: 153-300
Range: 148-246
Accuracy: 120-251
Evasion: 88-186
Defense: 112-243
Skill: 172-270

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 1, 2 at 8, 3 at 15, 4 at 22, 5 at 29, 6 at 36, 7 at 43, 8 at 50)
COVER: (1 at 32, 2 at 42).

Spirits:

Fortitude: Level 1, costs 15. (Fortitude allows you to tank the next attack that hits you for 10 damage. If it hits the body, it'll also do 1 damage to each part, but whatever.)
Strike/Sure Hit: Level 1, costs 20. (For one turn, your hit rate becomes 100%. Flash takes priority.)
(Great) Guts: Level 1, costs 35. (Fully heals you. This doesn't touch your parts, though, so be careful about that. Part damage is difficult to heal in this game!)
Hot Blood: Level 30, costs 35.
Yell/Spirit: Level 35, costs 40. (Raises your Will by 10. Very useful spirit.)
Snipe: Level 46, costs 10. (Technically, this is Watta's best spirit for grinding Spirit Ace - literally, you're far more likely to have Spirit Ace by the time you get this.)
Next up are Raijin-Oh's 3 pilots: Jin, Asuka, and Koji.
[+] Spoiler

JIN HYUGA

Melee: 152-299
Accuracy: 120-251
Evasion: 100-198
Defense: 110-241
Skill: 170-268

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 1, 2 at 7, 3 at 14, 4 at 21, 5 at 28, 6 at 35, 7 at 42, 8 at 49)
SHIELD DEFENSE: At base. (Shield Defense allows pilots to block attacks with their shields, reducing the damage substantially. Literally every pilot who can have a Shield has this ability, so I'm really not sure why they bothered keeping it as its own thing to be honest.)
COVER: (1 at 30, 2 at 40).

Spirits:

Guts: Level 1, costs 35.
Fortitude: Level 1, costs 15.
Focus: Level 7, costs 15. (Use this and Fortitude for Spirit Ace.)
Hot Blood: Level 30, costs 35.
Yell/Spirit: Level 34, costs 40.
Daunt: Level 48, costs 55. (I forgot Jin could learn this one! Daunt reduces enemy Will by 10, so it's a really good spirit to have when fighting Bosses.)

ASUKA TSUKISHIRO

SP: 50-148

Melee: 143-290
Range: 150-248
Accuracy: 125-256
Evasion: 105-203
Defense: 100-231
Skill: 172-270

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 1, 2 at 12, 3 at 23, 4 at 34, 5 at 45, 6 at 55)
COVER: (1 at 5, 2 at 20, 3 at 40).

Spirits:

Accel: Level 1, costs 5 (Use this for Spirit Aces.)
Strike: Level 1, costs 15.
Snipe: Level 11, costs 15.
Cheer: Level 15, costs 20. (This is a REALLY cheap Cheer! Cheer lets you pick any one ally on the map and doubles their EXP gain from their next fight, which is really good.)
Fury: Level 28, costs 15. (Fury is a disabler spirit. You cast it on yourself, and in the next attack - or is it "for the next turn?" - the enemy can't use Support Defense, or Shields, or Barriers, or anything like that to block you.)
Friendship/Faith: Level 44, costs 50. (Pick any one ally on the map, and they fully recover their HP. The long range version of Guts, this is a great spirit to have.)

KOJI HOSHIYAMA

SP: 40-138

Melee: 145-292
Range: 145-243
Accuracy: 125-256
Evasion: 98-196
Defense: 105-236
Skill: 168-266

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 1, 2 at 15, 3 at 29, 4 at 43, 5 at 56)
COVER: (1 at 5, 2 at 10, 3 at 30).

Spirits:

Gain: Level 1, costs 15 (Gain is the single target version of Cheer, or rather Cheer is the choose-target version of Gain. The Gain caster's unit gets 2x EXP for their next battle.)
Flash: Level 8, costs 10. (Use this for his Spirit Ace)
Guard/Iron Wall: Level 12, costs 25. (THE most important spirit for a Super intending to tank hits, it reduces all damage taken by 1/4 for the next turn.)
Assault: Level 16, costs 25.
Bless: Level 38, costs 40.
Confuse: Level 43, costs 45. (A special spirit. It targets all enemies, and for one turn, their accuracy is fully halved! Even Battleshps and big bulky Supers will have dodge chances after a Confuse.)
...Uh, Matt, you said subpilots can't use Spirit Aces. Why do Asuka and Koji have them?

Hey, remember how I said Raijin-Oh was able to split into its components? And you know how those components mean they're also main pilots?

Yeah.

I, being the colossal fool I am, completely forgot to CHECK THE UNITS before putting one bar into their weaponry, so all the weapons you'll see are with one bar of upgrades in the next few summaries.

We are, again, starting with the OGs. Soul Gunner first! (Note: The link on the name is to a video of all its attacks, which I will give everyone who doesn't unlock attacks later in the game. There's... not that many mechs who unlock attacks after they initially join you (and in a few cases it's just comboattacks) so expect to see that on just about everything.
[+] Spoiler

SOUL GUNNER

4000-6000 HP
120-240 EN
1000-1500 Armor
120-150 Mobility (5 bars)
6 movement range
Sky/Land movement
M size
SABS terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

None.

Attacks:

Wrist Vulcan: Range, Post-Movement, 2400-4350, 1-4 range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AACA terrains, Arm Mounted
Cloud Saber: Melee, Post-Movement, 2600-4550, 1-3 range, +45 hit, +20 crit, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Storm Rifle: Range, 2900-4850 power, 2-6 range, +10 hit, +10 crit, costs 20 EN, AACA terrains, Arm Mounted
Falcon Attack: Melee, Post-Movement, 3300-5250, 1-3 range, +30 hit, 0 crit, costs 50 EN, requires 120 Will, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted

Notes: IT'S TOO BAD THE GROWTH TYPE OF THE REAL OG SUPPORTS RANGED FINISHERS RATHER THAN MELEE ONES HUH? Either way, Cloud Saber and the Wrist Vulcans are great spam moves. I'm wary of the main long range move being a 20 EN cost on a unit that maxes at 240 though, that's not nearly spammable enough. Fortunately, Skill Ace will cut the cost down a little. Unfortunately, "a little" just isn't enough here. But the Soul Gunner is a perfectly capable Real for until we get the proper upgrade for it.
Moving from a robot that's good but will upgrade to be better to a robot that will never upgrade, Trider G7.
[+] Spoiler

TRIDER G7

7800-10530 HP (7 bars)
180-360 EN
1200-1800 Armor
70-105 Mobility
5 movement range
Sky/Land movement
L size
AABA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Transform (Into Trider Cosmic or Trider Beagle)

Attacks:

Trider Missile: Range, Post-Movement, 2300-3650, 1-4 range, +20 hit, 0 crit, 8 Ammo, AACA terrains, Ammo Shared (With Trider Missile (Cosmic Form)
Trider Cutter: Melee, Post-Movement, 2500-3850, 1-3 range, +30 hit, +10 crit, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted, Cannot hit targets of "S" size.
Trider Beam Cannon: Range, Beam, 2600-3950 power, 2-6 range, +10 hit, 0 crit, costs 20 EN, AA-A terrains, Arm Mounted
Trider Saber: Melee, Post-Movement, 3000-4350, 1 range, +45 hit, +10 crit, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Trider Javelin: Melee, Post-Movement, 3400-4750, 1-3 range, +35 hit, +20 crit, requires 110 Will, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Trider Bird Attack: Melee, Post-Movement, 4800-6150, 1 range, +30 hit, 0 crit, costs 50 EN, requires 120 Will, AABA terrains, cannot hit targets of "S" size.

TRIDER COSMIC:

7800-10530 HP (7 bars)
180-360 EN
1200-1800 Armor
75-112 Mobility
7 movement range
Sky movement
L size
S--S terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Transform (Into Trider G7 or Trider Beagle)

Attacks:

Trider Missile: Range, Post-Movement, 2300-3650, 1-5 range, +20 hit, 0 crit, 8 Ammo, AACA terrains, Ammo Shared (With Trider Missile (G7 Form)

TRIDER BEAGLE:

7800-10530 HP (7 bars)
180-360 EN
1500-2250 Armor
65-97 Mobility
6 movement range
Land movement
L size
-SAA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Transform (Into Trider G7 or Trider Cosmic)

Attacks:

Trider Gatling Missile: Range, Post-Movement, 2600-3950, 1-5 range, +30 hit, 0 crit, 10 Ammo, AACA terrains, Arm Mounted

Notes: Hey remember that time they got rid of all the alt forms Trider had? Yeah, honestly I don't care, because those alt forms were always shit clogging up its spots (At least the Daifighter is occasionally useful, Trider Beagle was SHIT in both games it was in and the Cosmic's barely better.).

But onto Trider itself! It has the unfortunate circumstance of being a Super that you get on Stage 1 that never upgrades in any way, in that it's pretty bad. But it does have a few things going for it. The Trider Javelin is one of the strongest free moves in the game past Range 1 and has an unusually high crit rate, and the Bird Attack is at 6150, which is the final power every final Super upgrade is going to hit, so it's not losing power. Plus, since it comes early and sticks with you, it's really easy to get Watta his Skill Aces - I think on my first run I had him nearly topped off (everything but Evasion and the highest levels of Kill) by Stage 15 or so. So if you're still a fan of Trider, it's totally useable and you'll have a good time with it.

Oh, by the way, take note of "can't hit S size enemies", it's somewhat of a common affliction amongst L size units. And take note - if L units can't hit S size units, what do 2L units get stuck with?
And now onto Raijin-Oh. For ease of access, Ken-Oh, Hou-Oh, and Juu-Oh will be in the spoiler as well.
[+] Spoiler

RAIJIN-OH

6000-8400 HP (8 bars)
160-320 EN
1200-1620 Armor (7 bars)
90-135 Mobility
6 movement range
Sky/Land movement
M size
AABA terrain types.
Shield

Mech Abilities:

???
Separate (Into Ken-Oh, Hou-Oh, and Juu-Oh)
HP Regen S (Regenerates 10% of your HP per turn. At max EN, Raijin-Oh will regain 840 HP per turn.)
EN Regen S (Regenerates 10% of your EN per turn. At max EN, you'll be getting back 32 EN per turn)

Attacks:

Raijin Boomerang: Melee, 2500-3650, 3-6 range, +30 hit, +10 crit, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Raijin Claw: Melee, Post-Movement, 2800-3950, 1-3 range, +30 hit, +20 crit, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Raijin Flash: Range, 3000-4150 power, 1-5 range, +10 hit, +10 crit, costs 30 EN, AABA terrains
Raijin Sword: Melee, Post-Movement, 3400-4550, 1 range, +45 hit, +20 crit, costs 10 EN, requires 110 Will, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
God Thunder Crash: Melee, Post-Movement, 4500-5650, 1 range, +35 hit, +10 crit, costs 50 EN, requires 120 Will, AABA terrains.

Notes: Raijin-Oh is in most ways inferior to Trider G7 - the most notable way it isn't is that it has an actual Mobility so it can dodge hits against mooks - but it's a pre-upgrade unit so it's meant to be. We'll eventually see an upgrade to this and it will be absolutely glorious - straight up one of the best units in the game. All three pilots being able to get Spirit Ace helps. HAVING lots of pilots helps more.

I will forever question the decision to make Raijin Boomerang a longer range move than Raijin Flash, though. Because that means that Raijin-Oh doesn't actually gain effective range with Range Ace, as Flash only goes to 1-6 and Boomerang gets nothing.

Oh and it can split into these three losers.

KEN-OH

4400-6020 HP (8 bars)
110-220 EN
900-1215 Armor (7 bars)
95-142 Mobility
6 movement range
Land movement
S size
-SBA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Combine (With Hou-Oh and Juu-Oh, into Raijin-Oh)
HP Regen S
EN Regen S

Attacks:

Flying Kick: Melee, Post-Movement 2200-3350, 1-3 range, +25 hit, 0 crit, AABA terrains, Leg Mounted
Dragon Tail Kick: Melee, Post-Movement, 2400-3550, 1-2 range, +35 hit, +10 crit, AABA terrains, Leg Mounted
Ken-Oh Blade: Melee, Post-Movement 2600-3750 power, 1 range, +45 hit, +20 crit, -ABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Invincible Attack: Melee, Post-Movement, 3500-4650, 1 range, +30 hit, 0 crit, costs 30 EN, requires 110 Will, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted

HOU-OH

4400-6160 HP (8 bars)
100-200 EN
800-1080 Armor (7 bars)
105-157 Mobility
8 movement range
Sky movement
S size
S--S terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Combine (With Ken-Oh and Juu-Oh, into Raijin-Oh)
HP Regen S
EN Regen S

Attacks:

Cutter Missile: Range, 2200-3350, 2-6 range, +20 hit, 0 crit, AACA terrains
Wing Cutter: Melee, Post-Movement, 2400-3550, 1-3 range, +45 hit, +20 crit, AACA terrains
Spiral Shot: Melee, Post-Movement 2600-3750 power, 1 range, +35 hit, +10 crit, AACA terrains
Invincible Attack: Melee, Post-Movement, 3500-4650, 1 range, +30 hit, 0 crit, costs 30 EN, requires 110 Will, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted

JUU-OH

4500-6300 HP (8 bars)
130-260 EN
1000-1350 Armor (7 bars)
100-150 Mobility
7 movement range
Land movement
S size
-SBA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Combine (With Ken-Oh and Hou-Oh, into Raijin-Oh)
HP Regen S
EN Regen S

Attacks:

Anchor Horn: Melee, Post-Movement, 2200-3350, 1-3 range, +20 hit, 0 crit, AABA terrains, Head Mounted
Flame Lance: Range, 2400-3550, 2-6 range, +10 hit, +10 crit, AA-A terrains, Head Mounted
Animal Attack: Melee, Post-Movement 2600-3750 power, 1 range, +45 hit, +20 crit, -ABA terrains

Notes: They're shit. While it's funny that none of them happen to use EN or Ammo, even when they REALLY should, there's really no reason you'd want to use these guys. Oh, but they have a comboattack! One that's 100 power more than the Raijin-Sword and costs a lot more. What brilliant design. It's actually worse than it looks, even, because 30 EN is a much larger percent the EN pools of the decombined forms, so when you recombine to Raijin-Oh, it will have cost more than 30 EN. (Raijin-Oh takes the average of the HP and EN pools of the components when you combine it. I mention this partly because some things in this game DON'T do that.)

Now, normally, I'd have done this on NG+, these mechs would be really well upgraded, and I'd have a few guest units, and while I wouldn't have much personal money, it'd be going into making all my units a little better. Problem is, again, I don't have that file anymore. So I can't.

So with that in mind I'm limiting myself. Aside from maxing EN on everything that actually needs it, WHICH IS A FUCKING REQUIREMENT AND I SUGGEST YOU DO IT POSTHASTE, I'm only going to give everyone one bar for now. As the game goes on I'll ratchet that up somewhat though.

Note to people following along at home - put all the money you get from your first mission into Raijin-Oh's EN. Then, if you have any left over, give it to Raijin-Oh's other stats. There's a very good reason for this so trust me.

There were four parts in the last mission, one of which I missed because it was a disposable that the enemy used. Two other disposables got sold for cash, but there's also this Booster here, which is getting slapped onto Trider until either I get a better Booster or I stop using Trider.

As I said, the other disposables got sold for cash. The shop has three areas, one for parts, one for skill parts, and one for [REDACTED].

This is the Options menu.

...it's an options menu. The game has no BGM Swap (outside of maybe Pilot/Mech?) since it was before the era where that was really a thing so I'm not going to touch that.

(there's pretty much nothing notable in any of the other menus, we have no skill parts, no pilots to swap, or anything remotely awesome.)

NEXT TIME: The Saotome Laboratory gets attacked! Our crew runs to intercept, but finds help from an unusual source!
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Storm Luxray

June 21st, 2016, 12:33 am #6

Well, Rajin-Oh does not look broken in the least.

Also, level scaling is a horrible, terrible idea, and who ever thought of it should be Rocket Punched into the stratosphere.

[+] Spoiler

Morphin?!

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

clad in light eternal?

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

[22:20:19] genuine problems: anyway the moral of the story is: if you're obese you're more likely to die
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

June 23rd, 2016, 12:07 am #7

[+] replies
@Don Ravioli: I suggest you give a look at this page because it's a great resource.

@Storm Luxray: Raijin Oh isn't broken, actually. It has a lot of SP, but its finisher is weak for a super and it burns EN like whoa. Plus its max range is 6 and that's pretty shit. Max P range of 3 too.

As for your second point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
[+] Stage 2 (and a glimpse of Sub Scenario 2): #unbanshingetter

At the Saotome Labs, a large number of Mechasauruses are attacking, and the automatic defense systems can't handle all of them. Shou and Gai ask if Hayato is planning to use "THAT", but they don't have a third pilot. Hayato notes that as a member of the original Getter team, he could pilot - but his body isn't quite as capable of keeping up with it all anymore. Professor Saotome says that they did find another potential third pilot candidate and that Hayato needs to go recruit him, but before he can do that they need to get past this (They should leave the defense of the lab to the Defense Force.) Gai laments that this pilot will probably be a failure too, and Hayato says that if his body wasn't so damaged from past piloting he would do it. Saotome says that Hayato has a duty as the last remaining member of the Getter Team he still has a job to do.

They bring up Musashi's sacrifice. Due to Ryoma getting attacked by the Dinosaur Empire, he had a temporary case of amnesia (Shin vs Neo never covers this as I remember, but it's from the manga), so he wasn't able to pilot. They tried to get THAT up and running (note: This THAT is distinct from the other THAT), but were incapable of doing it. Musashi eventually went out to attack the Dinosaur Empire by himself, but alone in a Getter there wasn't a terribly large amount he could do. He did take off the head of the invasion force by blowing up his own Getter. Saotome says that Musashi sacrificed himself for the future, and they can't let that tragedy happen again - so they need to trust the defense force.

(There's a portrait of Musashi right before he died as well as the amnesiac bandaged Ryoma, but unfortunately I missed the shot.)

The general from Raijin-Oh (Bushida?) and the person who usually hires Trider for jobs brief the Earth Defense Class, Akemi, and Watta's vice president who's name I can never remember (Kakikouji or something? He was the main pilot of the Shuttle in Z2/3) on the ongoing attack at the Saotome Institute. Asuka wonders what happened to Getter Robo and Jin notes that even he knows that Getter Robo got badly damaged and selfdestructed. The current enemy are just the remnants of that (uh, we literally just had this explained to us? Having one character not know things so you can explain the situation is fine, but you don't need to do it twice.). This is an official job request, so your team takes it.

Back at the labs, your guys arrive just as some of the Mechasauruses break past the defense lines. Jin laughs, pointing out that if this enemy force is all there is, Raijin-Oh could handle the situation by themselves, though as Asuka notes they're still outnumbered.

I tend to agree with Jin, though, because of one minor thing. This is the Saotome Labs, our first look at some real regen terrain. It provides great defensive bonuses, regen, and in something I really wish the franchise would copy (but it never will because for some fucking dumb reason regen terrain is becoming LESS common), every single turn it will give you back 1 ammo on all your weapons. This is HUGE for some units, and we'll get to see it in action later, even though our current batch of units aren't really ammo abusers.

Gai notes that they can breathe easy now that the Defense forces are here, but Shou says they're not quite out of the woods yet, since Ondron suddenly shows up with a force of his robots!

This is the Mechasaurus Doba. It's the main grunt of the Dinosaur Empire, and honestly it's kind of shitty. It has some missiles, a rocket punch, and the snakes on its head are whips, but it's not much of a threat. It's only really a threat in how much HP it has.

After a few turns, probably around when the Trider enemies get close to you, six more Mechasauruses spawn near the labs. Ondron laughs that the humans are getting mobbed by the Mechasauruses and his own forces shall surely be victorious today!

AND THEN THIS GUY SHOWED UP.

Jack King says that all the Japanese Super Robots aren't needed anymore, because now he's on the scene. Jin and Watta don't take that well, and go "where the hell were you hiding all that time?"

We don't get to keep Texas Mack and its horse after this scenario so I won't get to do my summary of it yet, but I'll point out the three big things worth remembering. First, it has no Melee attacks - no, Mack can't get into a FASED FIGHT in this game. Secondly, it's an L size unit with S terrains on Air and Ground, which makes it really good. Third? It's a sniper. A really good sniper. And GC is a defensive game...

This is the Zudorl, the main enemy robot of Trider G7's faction. In the show I assume it's the Monster Of The Week from Episode 1 or something, I dunno, it's not a show with a lot of resources on it in English. Anyway it has a mace for a right hand and I think an eye laser or something, but aside being rather tough for a Super enemy - L Size and good HP, plus I think the pilots have good Defense - they're nothing to worry about.

Now, I said Mac is a sniper and a good one, but I think I need to put it into numbers. His TOO MUCH HIGH POWER MAN cannon (yes, he says that, if you're the detailed version of this LP that's what the shot is of) is stuck with a bad 5-9 range - 5-10 range if you've got his Range Ace, which isn't hard, since again, he can't get Melee Ace because he has no Melee moves - but tops off at 6250 power. You may remember I said that Trider G7's 6150 finisher was the thing that all Supers end up at? Well, Mac is stronger.

(There's one other unit that can get above 6150 if you don't cheat more upgrade bars onto your units, and we'll get to him in the future. There's a second that gets 15 bars in everything because you never get it for upgrading and thus pierces that, but we'll get to THAT much later.)

The last new enemy for this stage - well, I say "new", but it's not really all that new since it was on Stage 1 - is the Mechasaurus Bull. It's better in every way that matters than the Doba, but that doesn't mean it's actually strong. It has a pair of tit missiles (seriously) and a fairly powerful melee attack, but that's pretty much it.

This one's holding a part, which you can see on the right side of the screen. It's a reusable though, nothing that matters if you kill them on the player phase before they can use it.

After some fighting, I noticed that the enemies weren't dealing as much damage as they really should, I was dealing far more damage than I should, and Mack was pretty much normal. After a quick look I realized why - turns out level scaling doesn't actually start until next scenario since there's no reasonable way to raise your level here, oops. Well, it's not much of a loss, with the regen terrain this scenario is really easy anyway.

When you kill the last Zudorl, Ondron goes "noooo how did i lose you'll pay for this i'll get you next time" generic villain stuff and flies away. Watta's employees call him home for snacks to regenerate his SP. Jin wants to go home too, but unfortunately the bridge crew for Raijin-Oh is based in his school and they basically go "no stop that you're coming back." Akemi is let off, but Fairey says she has to write up her report today. Jack King finds it amusing that the Japanese super robots are mostly piloted by small children, but Mary notes that they're all actually really skilled - Jack sort of laughs and goes "man, what a country this is." Hayato says they really do owe Jack and Mary one, and all the other people who helped protect them.

Some faceless people ask Professor Saotome when the new Getter will be ready, and he says that it is - but they don't have a third pilot. They're working on that bit. As soon as they find a third pilot, it'll be perfectly up and running. (I don't think anyone even brings up Shin Getter.)

Days later, Zuiun is annoyed that Akemi is late yet again for a meeting. She ignores him and starts talking to Fairey, which makes him quite angry indeed. After some banter, Zuiun says what he called her for - there's a job in outer space that they wanted the Soul Gunner and her for, and he signed her up for it. Akemi goes "well what about school?" and Zuiun goes "who cares, you pilot a giant fucking robot and the safety of the Earth comes first" which she notes is probably really bad parenting.

Outside, Akemi notes that if it was for a vacation it'd be alright, but for work... She ends up bumping into Sieg. Akemi says that she was worried that he might not have been ok after the last time they met, but Sieg says that he's not a kid. Akemi asks if he lives around here, to which he goes "not telling" and she says that she honestly wasn't all that interested anyway. He says that if she didn't care, she shouldn't ask, and she says that she actually asked because she likes seeing him flustered at her questions.

At this point their LOVELY conversation is interrupted by Akemi getting a call from Zuiun. She asks if he comes to the park often, because her house is just over there, next to Mogami Heavy Industries - because her dad owns Mogami. Sieg is surprised, but then realizes her name is Akemi AKATSUKI, and says that he suddenly has a lot of things he wants to know. Akemi smiles and goes "yeah that's nice but I gotta go" and runs off. Sieg shakes his head and notes that while he doesn't understand her at all, she's still a great source of information.

Now, here's where something interesting happens. Two things happen in the intermission - one, Raijin-Oh vanishes without a trace. That's why I told you to upgrade it last time, it's the only chance you get until much, much, MUCH later in the game, since Raijin-Oh... Well, you know how we're going to space? It isn't.

(also there's a Chobham Armor. This recurring item in SRW increases HP by 500 and Armor by 100 in pretty much every game its been in, which is almost all of them.)

The other thing is that when you move on to the next stage, you see two potential stages. One is Scenario 3, but the other is... Scenario 2 again?

Huh?

So, GC has no route splits. You can get through the entire game in one run, and can get every secret in one run (though not every unit because there's two OGs and there is one unit which can upgade two ways). But what it does have are SUB SCENARIOS - little repeatable scenarios that add some to the plot, give you a chance to get some more parts and... other things (TWO MORE UPDATES UNTIL THAT GUYS), and very often contain requirements to secrets. In fact, there are like two or three secrets that DON'T involve Sub Scenarios, and the rest all do - though most of those are "play sub scenario get unit".

I actually played through the Sub Scenario once to check if the game would scale levels properly (and as you can see, it does).

The thing about Sub Scenarios is that they're infinitely repeatable, and enemies constantly scale to your level - infinite grinding woo! But on the negative side, they're the reason I cheated Skill Aces in - because if I didn't, I'd replay Sub Scenario 2 until I had at least Level 30 and all the Aces on my pilots, and then I'd replay Sub Scenario 5 until I had at least level 50 and all the Aces on my pilots, and then I'd replay Sub Scenario 9 until I had at least level 80 and all the Aces on all my pilots... you see the problem here. And if you don't, the problem is that that'd take fucking months.

NEXT TIME: I do Sub Scenario 2's plot, go over the details of in battle stuff that I have been waiting for this chance to do, and then probably go to Scenario 3, which is where this game finally meets the enemy that will be giving us the most trouble in the early game - and no, it's not aliens or dinosaurs or Dr. Hell or anything sensible...
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Storm Luxray

June 23rd, 2016, 10:50 am #8

".......Uhoh.

[+] Spoiler

Morphin?!

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

clad in light eternal?

Morphin?!

Boost Up! Beet Buster!

[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

July 1st, 2016, 10:25 pm #9

[+] Reply
@Storm Luxray: Yeah, Zeon is a right menace.
[+] Sub Scenario 2 and Stage 3: SIEG ZEON, GLORIOUS* SAVIORS* OF SPACE*

Sub Scenario 2 time!

In Class 5A-3, the cast of Raijin-Oh are busy debating whether they want to take the job the one Raijin-Oh general guy had for them and go to space. Jin does, but quite a number of people don't for various reasons - like "THERE'S A WAR GOING ON EVEN DINOSAURS ARE HERE". Their teacher then comes in and says that the PTA just voted a solid "no". Later, Jin grumbles that this is a load of crap, because Watta's going and Akemi's going but they aren't... but since Watta and Akemi have jobs that are likely to be fairly stable, education's kind of not as big a deal for them. And Asuka notes that with Akemi and Watta gone, they're all that's left protecting Japan.

Elsewhere in Japan, Kouji Kabuto gets the sudden urge to punch someone in the face.

Anyway, some monsters start wrecking up the place again. Watta decides to stomp them so hard they don't come back again, and soon Akemi and the EDC show up as well (Yeah, Raijin-Oh's not upgradable but he'll still show up in this sub scenario). Akemi moans that she has to prepare for going to space yet, and when Fairey asks what in particular she means, she notes that she needs to go shopping! Watta yells that if she doesn't want to go she should butt out of his job, she yells back that it's her father who signed her up for this, Fairey politely reminds them that there's alien horrors about that they need to take care of.

As the text implies, this is the same map from the first mission, except this time there's four Exhausts and four Zudorls - no Mechasauruses around. Given that, it's a good time to finally go over the controls, what everything on the map means, etc. etc.

A is the selection button as usual.
B is the cancel button as usual.
The Control Stick moves you around as usual.
L and R... I dunno what L and R do. Not important.
X changes the terrain (like landing, flying, going underwater, etc.), and can also speed up your movement around the map.
Y transforms the unit.
Z recenters the screen on a different unit.
C Stick up and down zoom in and out respectively, C Stick left and right cycle through a few preset "zoomed in" areas.

Now, when you select one of your mechs, you get a screen. Depending on the mech, it might include any of these: (and thanks to Magenta Galaxy's guide on Gamefaqs for having all of these in close proximity so I didn't have to dig through other resources to get them:)

ˆÚ“® - Movement. This lets you move your mech. Movement will be limited by what the mech's Movement Range is as well as what the terrain is like. No mech you should field in this game should ever be at 5 Movement Terrain, especially if they can't fly.
UŒ‚ - Attack. If there are enemies in range for your attacks, this pops up. Do remember that some attacks don't work after moving.
¸_ - Spirits. This is your spirit commands. All pilots in this game eventually get six spirit commands out of a pool of thirty.
”\—Í - Status - This lets you look at your three status screens (Mech, Weapons, Pilot.). This is the only thing you can see with enemy units - and them only with Scan or having attacked them - and it is the only thing that you can see on moved units too.
C— - Repair - If a mech has the ability to Repair, this shows up. It allows you to heal another unit in an amount based on the Repairer's level, and you get a bit of EXP for it as well. It's Post Movement.
•â‹‹ - Resupply - If a mech has the ability to Resupply, this shows up. It allows you to fully regen another mech's EN and Ammo, but it has a cost of 10 Will. Good EXP for it though. It's not post-movement so watch out for that.
•ÏŒ` - Transform - If a unit can transform, this transforms them.
•ª—£ - Seperate - If a unit can Separate, this lets them do that. The HP and EN for all the mechs will be the same percentage as the original one splitting.
‡‘Ì - Combine - If a unit can Combine and the other combination parts are next to it (or are next to other combining parts - if I have the three Raijin-Oh components one square away from each other in a diagonal line, that counts) it can recombine. Typically, the combined form will take the average % of all the EN and HP for its own, but there's some that don't.
’nã - Land/Surface - If you're flying (or underground), this puts you back on the land. On the ground, you have to contend with terrain screwing with your movement, but you also can derive benefit from the terrain.
‹ó’† - Take Off - This lets you fly if you're underwater or on land. While flying, Terrain never effects you, but you can't support grounded units and you spend 1 EN per space that gets moved.
…’† - Submerge - This lets you go underwater. There are very few units that can fly that would ever want to do this though. Only a few units work well underwater, most of which can't fly.
’n’† - Go Underground - This lets you go underground. While you're underground, you basically don't exist. Very few units can do it and it's rarely ever worthwhile.
“‹Ú - Dock - If, after moving, you end on a battleship, this lets you duck inside. While inside you'll regen HP and EN, but the EN will come at a slight Will cost. Also the battleship might be able to move faster than the unit and you can launch after the Battleship moves so that's neat.
”­i - Launch - Battleship only command, lets units launch from the ship.
•ßŠl - Capture - [REDACTED]
à“¾ - Convince - A command that's only used twice in this game, and one of them only due to a glitch since it doesn't do anything (it's a very amusing glitch though). Convince is the go to command for secret characters, but there aren't a horribly large amount here that need it.
ƒp[ƒc - Parts - If you have disposable parts on your units, this lets you use them. Not actually all that useless in this game because only HP Regen and parts let you heal unit body parts, but much like every other game until reusable disposable parts became a thing... five years or so after this one's release? They're kind of cruddy.

The Exhaust is the first Monster of the Week from Raijin-Oh, it has thusly been in every game with that series (except OE which had no enemies from Raijin-Oh). It's main weapon is, as its name suggests, exhaust fumes - Raijin-Oh baddies are based on what the villains, who don't understand shit about humans, overhear humans as saying they don't like. In one instance this resulted in an "Evil Beast" that was a fucking SUPERHERO of all things, and he acted heroic too - but the Exhaust can also get in close with a melee attack.

Anyway, after beating the small number of enemies, everyone goes either home or back to school. Ondron curses your troops and gives the old classic "I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME!"

Interestingly enough, while the first playthrough of a sub scenario is the only important one - none of the prestage plot shows on a second run, if there are force deploys later in the game we won't have those, etc. - there's sometimes still plot on a second playthrough. Here, it's Taida getting berated by Belzeb for fucking up.

Stage 3 now!

Akemi's leaving for outer space now, where she and Watta are apparently going to meet with the other group hired - the FUCKING COSMORANGER J9. Yeah, whatever this job is, the Earth Federation paid a fucking mint to call in the J9 out of the fucking Asteroid Belt to get it done. One of the best mercenary teams in the entire mecha multiverse.

At the J9's base... which I can't remember the name of offhand... Bowie notes that because of all the shit going on, they've been called for a lot of jobs, and haven't really gotten any time to rest. Omachi points out that even this break isn't going to last since Isaac has another job. The job is to safeguard a new Federation ship, and Omachi notes that if the Feds are actually paying for them, there has to be a serious issue in terms of manpower, but as Isaac notes, Zeon and Giganos are far better than the Feds in space - even the Feddie's newest weapons aren't doing much there (...as far as I know they mean GM Early Types, Balls, and possibly those Totally-Just-Reskinned-Balls from Dragonar that we never get in this franchise). They decide to take the job, and Isaac tells them that they'll be working with Mogami Heavy Industries and Takeo General - which Bowie remembers are typically Earth based. They then leave to cross from THE ASTEROID FUCKING BELT to Earth.

(let me just throw it out there that the J9 are seriously some of the greatest bullshit you'll see in classic mecha and I fucking love them for it. They'll cross the entire fucking solar system in the span of a fucking car drive, LITERALLY, and this is normal practice for them. Throwing them in a somewhat low power game like GC probably wasn't the best idea but I don't care because it's the fucking J9s and they're getting fucking plot.)

Akemi notes that guarding a new Federation warship might be a bit dangerous, but as they're on the contract, they're basically a part of the Federation military for a bit. Watta's voice comes over the comms and he yells that if they don't give their all to a job, they won't be trusted again in the future. Akemi's surprised that Watta's there, and asks about the EDC - who are, of course, still on Earth as their PTA forced them to stay. Akemi jokes that she wishes they'd get to her father.

In Side 7, Kain, Light, and Tapp are sort of just hanging around. Kain notices that there's quite a bit of military in Side 7 right now, and Light says he heard through the grapevine that there's a new Federation warship in the colony. Tapp wonders if the colony is going to be a battlefield, and immediately the colony rocks as something blasts it. Fortunately for Tapp, Dragonar was a comedic show, and thus despite being the one black guy he's not on the chopping block.

Unfortunately, Zeon is attacking, and one of the Zakus, piloted by the creatively named "Jean", rushes in to make a name for himself by attacking helpless civvies. Zeon, ladies and gentlemen, the true heroes of the OYW. A child nearby by the name of Amuro Ray freaks the fuck out at the Zaku running around, and yells to his friend Frau Bow to get out. Rocks then fall and Frau's family dies. Amuro tells her, again, to run, save herself, she's stronger than this - but he's also getting pissed at the Zaku.

And it's at that point when he sees a white mobile suit under a canopy. He realizes that it's the MS that his father was working on, and wonders if he can use it. He gets in, and with a cry of RISE GUNDAAAAAAAM - ok maybe not that but I sort of had to - the Gundam stands. Jean sees this, and fires on it, but of course it's to no avail because of the Lunar Titanium Armor of the Gundam (yeah, Lunar Titanium, giving it an amazing Armor stat of... 900. Totally well armored). Denim yells at Jean to get away, back off, but Jean thinks he can totally win this fight!

This terrain is yet more of the "regen ammo and everything else" terrain, and you'll not have more than 8 units on this stage, so be ready to camp it.

Jean himself has a part that will repair his HP to full (which you are almost certain to see if you don't use a really weak move for your first attack), and while you're killing him, the enemies on the left side of the screen are going to get the jump on you. Watch out for that.

After a turn, Slender will show up - Yes, their names are Jean, Denim, and Slender. I suppose Cargo was getting his Zaku cleaned today - and Denim will tell him to go back and report what's going on to Char, and he will.

A little later, Kain, Tapp, and Light find a dying Federation soldier, who's dying wish is for them to take a set of keycards to the containers in the hangar he was nexxt to. Tapp wonders what they should do, and Kain notes that before he died, the man asked them to do something, and by god they're going to do it. In the hangar are three robots, but as they go into the hangar, Giganos's forces show up. Kain gets mad at the Giganos intrusion into an already bad situation - they're destroying his home! Light agrees, though Tapp is slightly less enthused. Light decides to take the dome-headed, and Kain takes the more generic looking one, leaving Tapp with the one with the cannons - after voicing his annoyance, Tapp agrees, and thus do the three Dragonars sortie.

Kain asks Tapp how he feels NOW, and Tapp is a bit happier now. Light asks if they should go take out Giganos, and the other two agree. At no point, by the way, is it mentioned that the Dragonars have a very powerful inbuilt AI which is assisting the pilots (as far as I'm aware it never really comes up in this game), and the Dragonar pilots are not really shitty pilots at this point like they were in the actual show. The problem with plot condensation... we're going to be missing a very large amount of Dragonar's first arc.

The Zaku II is Zeon's mainline unit, and for the entire war up until the very end it was the most common thing that they fielded. It's a reliable unit for sure, and a good enough pilot can make it quite useful, but as the main grunt in a mecha show, it exists to be destroyed by the main characters. Its only equipment in this game are a machinegun, a Heat Hawk - an axe that's superheated - and a bazooka for its best move that has 2-6 range and will be gleefully fired towards anything that doesn't have 6 range. Watch out for that. Now, SRW is usually an extraordinarily unkind series to the Zaku 2, as until GC there was literally never a game where a Zaku 2 was of any use - even when there's V-Ups there's always better things - and for that matter, half the time you got one it was Bernie's Zaku that was somehow demoted to a lesser unit. I mention this for reasons that we'll see in two updates.

As an aside, bad unit or no, Amuro is still seeing the enemy hitting it at a 54% hit rate... DESPITE BEING A LEVEL 9 NEWTYPE ON DEFENSIVE TERRAIN. Accuracy in GC tends to be rather high, which is very odd for a game of its time period, so don't expect your Reals to just coast by simply because this was before Consecutive Targeting Penalty. Bunch everyone together to abuse them friendship bonuses if you're any smart.

Now, before we move on, I should make note of one of the ways around this. Anyone who's played a SRW with Dragonar knows what this is - it's EWAC, the reason Dragonar 3 has its silly dome head. Normally called AEW&C as far as I know in real life, the EWAC - Early Warning And Control - is a suite of radars, computers, and sensors that some planes do, I dunno, I'm not big on that sort of thing. What I do know is that in Gundam - and Dragonar, because Dragonar's in a lot of ways the first Gundam AU - the EWAC is a system that lets you do magical things like fuck with enemy sensors and, in Dragonar proper, could remotely fucking hack MISSILES and return them to sender. While it can't quite do that, EWAC serves as sort of its own Command Aura - in the area of the EWAC, allies get a boost to their evasion and accuracy, and enemies get the opposite. This is extraordinarily useful! Unfortunately, as it is a head mounted thing, if the enemy units manage to damage D3's head, the boosts are going to start going down.

I got a kill or two this stage with the Gundam's Vulcans, which is absolutely hilarious and always worth commenting on.

Once you take out a few enemies (Possibly including Denim, who has no lines when he dies but if you watch his animation you get to yell him scream pitifully), Amuro notices the Dragonars taking out Metal Armors (if you retreated them like you should have this line will be funny) and realizes they must be allies - and if they are, could other allies be in the area? On the other side of the battlefield, Light sees the Gundam, and figures it must have been the rumored Mobile Suit the Feddies were owrking on. Kain is having trouble getting the Dragonar to work right (cutscene only), but Tapp is fine in his unit.

The main Giganosian grunt for the early part of their series was the Dreu. This mech is not their equivalent of Zeon's Zaku 2, though... it's their equivalent of the Zaku 1! By this point the Dreu is already being scrapped for better mechs, and you won't be seeing it in all that many more scenarios. (Yes it's more mobile than the Zaku 2 here, but that means little, Metal Armors are lighter and faster than MSes on average.)

Normally, you're supposed to take out this enemy wave before any reinforcements show. If you dawdle, however, your side will be reinforced, as Akemi, Watta, and the J9 team arrive. Kid wonders if the ones fighting are actually Federation machines, and Omachi notes it's probably those ones that they're there to guard. Isaac confirms this... And honestly from that point on Braiger could probably solo the rest of the stage on regen terrain (especially given the level of mine since it has FOUR PILOTS) but we'll give the other guys a chance.

Giganos didn't only send Dreus at us, though, as they also sent the next mech up from them - the Gwei. This mech is significantly better than the Dreu, and is more up to scale to Zeon's Zaku 2, but to us, it's hardly a threat. Even if it is the best thing on this stage, the game is nice and will throw FIVE of them over the course of the scenario, so it can't be that bad by logic.

Giganos summons reinforcements when their entire troop dies (at this point if you didn't get reinforcements you will), but it's just more Dreus and Gweis, so take them out. They come from the bottom left corner of the map, which is significantly far enough away to not give a shit since you'll have everyone pretty much fully regened by the time they get close and can get everyone into a good formation.

By the way, on a first run, be sure to have Light use Scan on literally every enemy. Since Scan only costs 1, it only takes one or two scenarios to get him Spirit Ace. This is a useful thing for everyone who gets Scan, so remember it! As an aside, after getting Spirit Ace, Scan will become totally free to use, which is... not often useful, but after this scenario I'm going to start making use of that a lot more often (at the very least, when we reach Scenario 9 and I have one of my final squad members as a person with a 0 cost Scan. No, Light's not on the final squad. Sorry if you're a Dragonar fan, but I am too and that doesn't justify him.) since I need shots of everything that pops up.

Kid commends Akemi for her abilities, and Akemi, realizing that this is the famous Blaster Kid, asks for his autograph. Watta notes that there sure were a lot of enemies, and Akemi says that there's probably a ship nearby. Fairey receives orders from their bosses that they need to assemble at the new Federation ship, the White Base, and Isaac says they probably should get moving fast before the colony gets hit again. The rest of the J9 ask if they should take the Dragonar pilots and the Gundam with them, which annoys Kain, but Amuro realizes that it's probably a good idea to do that and asks for help, as he is a civilian and doesn't know where the battleship is.

On said battleship, Bright Noa is evacuating the civilian populace on Side 7 - Paolo Cassius is nowhere to be seen - and Ryu Jose (one of the few soldiers left) and Sayla Mass (a civilian) notes that they're quite shorthanded in terms of actual help with most of the Federation soldiers dead. Bright says that they'll just have to recruit from the civilians - and get help from the people who were in the Gundam and the Dragonars. It's at this point that your group (Akemi, Watta, Fairey, and the J9 at least) come in, and Bright apologizes that they have to use them like they are - they can probably bill the Federation for overtime.

Amuro meets Bright and is kind of annoyed that he's being told that it is now his job to pilot the Gundam, as he's probably the most experienced on the ship at piloting MSes at this point anyway since he has a battle and everyone else does not. The Dragonar pilots are also told this, and they're not quite so keen on it, but Bright's in charge of this ship and he's the one making orders, and if, to keep everyone alive, he has to force civilians to help, then so fucking be it. The Dragonar pilots tell him to fuck off because they repaid their debts and got the Dragonars to the Federation, so they're done. Bright sighs and says that if the people on the ship don't do everything they can, this situation isn't going to be one they'll get out of. Amuro's not particularly enthused either, but he at least understands that it's either pilot the robot or die. (Hey look, pilots from shows in the 70s and 80s who didn't want to get in the robot, it's almost like a meme comparison to a 90s show is inherently fucking stupid)

Over on Char's Musai, Slender reports to Char what happened, and Char himself reports it all to Dozle Zabi - that they now have proof of Operation V, and that the Federation has designed powerful new mobile suits and Metal Armors (well, they stole those, but still). Unfortunately, they're VERY powerful, and Char doesn't have the resources to sink the ship. Dozle agrees to send help, and also notes that the powerful Practice Squad of Giganos was in the area and are coming to help. Which is great because that means BEST CHARACTER is soon onto the scene.

In the White Base's cafeteria, Kain says that they're just fighting to protect Side 7 and won't cooperate with the Feds (HEY GIGANOS, NOW WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO DO WHAT YOU DID IN THE SHOW AND BLOW THE FUCK OUT OF THE COLONY WITH A MASS DRIVER, JUST SAYING). Light notes that without soldiers to pilot the robots, though, there might be problems... and then Ryu comes in and says Bright needs them urgently because there's a problem with the Dragonars.

The Dragonar pilots can't believe it, but Bright says that he's not lying - the Dragonars registered those three as their pilots and now will not accept anyone but them. And until they can get to a base to delete that, they're the only ones who can pilot the units. Because of that, they're officially drafted, and so one of the few individuals they have capable of piloting a Metal Armor - Ben Rooney, who I will henceforth refer to as "Sarge" - will be working with them now. He drags them out to begin their training. Amuro comes in, as does Kai Shiden and Hayato Kobayashi, who also want to pilot the new MSes, and Bright sends Hayato to tell Ben that the Cavalier-0 pack for the Dragonar 1 is available. Ryu wonders what the enemy might be planning, and Bright is sure that they'll attack again, as the White Base leaves for Luna 2.

NEXT TIME: Intermission 3, where I go over a boatload of new units, and prepare for Stage 4, the stage that changes the entire course of the game and that convinced me of GC's BASED nature.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

July 9th, 2016, 9:55 pm #10

[+] Intermission 3: Gundams and Dragonars and BRAIGER OH MY
So, first thing this intermission, we cover some units. We'll go by HP, which makes our first unit the White Base, our first battleship.
[+] Spoiler

WHITE BASE

13000-19500 HP
200-400 EN
1300-1950 Armor
60-90 Mobility
6 movement range
Sky movement
LL size
S--S terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Docking (Battleships can dock units. While units are inside of battleships, they restore some EN and Ammo and HP per turn, though the EN and Ammo come at a slight will cost.)
Capture (Battleships can capsfdspaoihpwwophiastehiopahet2931iu158071000000000000000000000)

Attacks:

Anti-Aircraft Guns: Range, Post-Movement, 2500-4100, 1-3 range, +40 hit, -20 crit, 99 Ammo, AAAA terrains
Large Missile: Range, 2800-4400, 2-5 range, +20 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AACA terrains, Weapon Mounted
Main Cannon: Range, 3300-4900 power, 3-7 range, +10 hit, +10 crit, 8 Ammo, AABA terrains, cannot hit Small/Medium foes, Weapon Mounted
Mega Particle Cannon: Range, Beam, 3400-5000, 4-8 range, 0 hit, 0 crit, costs 30 EN, AA-A terrains, cannot hit Small/Medium foes, Weapon Mounted

Notes: Our first battleship. It has the issue that it can't attack past 5 range at enemies smaller than L size, which is a major flaw, but otherwise it's surprisingly competent. Both the battleships in GC are great units, and I'll be showing them both off as well as I can.

(Also, worth noting: Battleships have Control instead of Head, Weapon instead of Arms, and Engine instead of Legs. A few other units that don't fit Head/Arms/Legs do as well, but there are the occasional units which have less bars of HP - when we get to the Apsalus 2, for instance, it has Head/Arms/Legs, but the only HP bar it has is a Head bar.)
Next, the Galactic Whirlwind, Braiger.
[+] Spoiler

BRAIGER (Unfortunately, I cannot post its All Attack video, as it contains an attack we do not yet have.)

6800-10200 HP
150-300 EN
1100-1650 Armor
75-112 Mobility
6 movement range
Sky/Land movement
L size (Which is weird because it's only like 30 meters tall, but oh well.)
AABA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Transform (into Brai Star or Brai Thunder)

Attacks:

Cosmo Winder: Range, Post-Movement, Beam, 2500-3850, 1-4 range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AA-A terrains, can't hit Small foes, Arm Mounted
Brai Spear: Melee, Post-Movement, 3000-4350, 1-3 range, +45 hit, +20 crit, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Brai Sword Beam: Range, Beam, 3400-4750, 2-6 range, +25 hit, 0 crit, costs 20 EN, AA-A, can't hit Small foes, Arm Mounted
Brai Sword: Melee, Post-Movement, 4200-5550 power, 1 range, +30 hit, +10 crit, costs 40 EN, requires 110 Will, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Brai Cannon: Range, 4800-6150, 3-8 range, +10 hit, +10 crit, costs 50 EN, requires 120 EN, AABA terrains, cannot hit Small/Medium foes, Arm Mounted

Notes: Braiger is our first Multipilot Super that we're going to retain for more than one stage, and it's actually pretty good, low Armor or Mobility aside (stats matter much less to a unit that can cover them by sheer weight of subpilots). It has a decent spam move or two, very nice range techniques, a long range finisher, and oh yeah, it later unlocks something that is TRULY devastating.

It does have two transformations. To wit:

BRAI STAR

4500-6750 HP
150-300 EN
1000-1500 Armor
105-157 Mobility
7 movement range
Sky movement
M size
A--A terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Transform (into Braiger or Brai Thunder)

Attacks:

Missiles: Range, 2000-3350, 2-6 Range, +20 hit, 0 crit, 10 Ammo, AACA terrains, Weapon Mounted
Blaster: Range, Post-Movement, Beam, 2500-3850, 1-4 range, +15 hit, +10 crit, costs 10 EN, AA-A terrains, Weapon Mounted

BRAI THUNDER

3500-5250 HP
150-300 EN
900-1350 Armor
110-165 Mobility
5 movement range
Land movement
S size
-SBA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Transform (into Braiger or Brai Star)

Attacks:

Blaster: Range, Post-Movement, Beam, 2500-3850, 1-4 range, +15 hit, +10 crit, costs 10 EN, AA-A terrains, Weapon Mounted

Notes: Normally, transformations like these would be rather pointless, but the Brai Thunder has a big trick it can start doing next stage that is HIGHLY useful. This is mostly because it's an S size unit - yes, it's a normal sized car. Braiger runs on the Synchron System, which allows it to absorb energy and mass from alternate universes to grow during its combinations (it's the first one in that video, all three J9s are there though so you can see Baxinger's hilarious shenanigans too). This is as broken as it sounds, the only limitation is that they can't maintain the actual form of Braiger forever (and being able to hold something for a full fucking day is hardly a limit.). That's also how it keeps its weapons that aren't the Brai Cannon, by the way.
That's it for Braiger. Next in order of HP, the Guntank.
[+] Spoiler

GUNTANK (surprisingly, despite missing an attack, I can post this, because the Guntank in the video is also missing an attack).

4300-6450 HP
130-260 EN
1100-1540 Armor (8 bars)
80-120 Mobility
5 movement range
Land movement
M size
-SCB terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

None.

Attacks:

40mm 4-Barrel Arm Missile: Range, Post-Movement, 2000-4800, 1-4 Range, +20 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AACA terrains, Arm Mounted
120mm Shoulder Cannon: Range, 2800-5600, 4-8 range, 0 hit, 0 crit, 8 Ammo, AABA terrains
Operation V: Range, 4000-6550, 1-3 range, +30 hit, 0 crit, costs 30 EN, requires 120 Will, AAAA terrains, Arm mounted, Combination Attack (with Gundam and Guncannon), REQUIRES HAYATO KOBAYASHI AS THE PILOT.

Notes: Take a minute to adjust to the fact that even without Operation V, the Guntank is one of the strongest mechs in all of the Universal Century.

Another minute.

Ok, that's long enough. The Guntank's issues are lack of overall ammo, since it only has 18 altogether, the fact that there's a 1-3 range hole on its finisher, the fact that better UC mechs exist, and of course, the fact that you fucking need Hayato to use Operation V (and something we'll get later) and his ass being fucking useless. Still, properly upgraded, the Guntank can take you quite a ways.
Next, the Guncannon.
[+] Spoiler

GUNCANNON (same situation as the Guntank here)

4200-6300 HP
110-220 EN
1000-1500 Armor
90-135 Mobility
6 movement range
Land movement
M size
-ACA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

None.

Attacks:

Vulcan Guns: Range, Post-Movement, 1000-3800, 1-2 Range, +30 hit, -20 crit, 20 Ammo, AAAA terrains, Head Mounted
Beam Rifle: Range, Post-Movement, Beam 2100-4900, 1-4 Range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AA-A terrains, Arm Mounted
240mm Shoulder Cannon: Range, 2700-5500, 3-7 range, 0 hit, 0 crit, 8 Ammo, AABA terrains
Operation V: Range, 4000-6550, 1-3 range, +30 hit, 0 crit, costs 30 EN, requires 120 Will, AAAA terrains, Arm mounted, Combination Attack (with Gundam and Guncannon), REQUIRES KAI SHIDEN AS THE PILOT.

Notes: Despite having slightly less power than the Guntank, the Guncannon is an overall better unit. Beams don't help all that much in this game, but the spam move being slightly better is nice when both are already some of the best moves in the game, 3800 is actually fairly respectable, and of course Kai is a good pilot and Hayato isn't. Both are still getting left behind by endgame though.
Next up is MOEAGARE MOEAGARE MOE A GA RE GUNDAMU
[+] Spoiler

GUNDAM

4200-6000 HP
120-240 EN
900-1350 Armor
95-128 Mobility (7 bars)
6 movement range
Land movement
M size
-ACA terrain types.
Has a Shield.

Mech Abilities:

???

Attacks:

Vulcan Guns: Range, Post-Movement, 1000-3250, 1-2 Range, +30 hit, -20 crit, 20 Ammo, AAAA terrains, Head Mounted
Beam Rifle: Range, Post-Movement, Beam, 2200-4450, 1-4 Range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AA-A terrains, Arm Mounted
Beam Saber: Melee, Post-Movement, 2500-4750, 1 Range, +40 hit, +30 crit, -ABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Hyper Bazooka: Range, 2500-4750, 2-6 range, 0 hit, +20 crit, 4 Ammo, AAAA terrains, Arm Mounted
Hyper Hammer: Melee, Post-Movement, 2800-5050, 1-3 range, 0 hit, +10 crit, costs 20 EN, requires 110 Will, -ABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Operation V: Range, 4000-6250, 1-3 range, +30 hit, 0 crit, costs 30 EN, requires 120 Will, AAAA terrains, Arm mounted, Combination Attack (with Gundam and Guncannon), REQUIRES AMURO RAY AS THE PILOT.

Notes: The Gundam is going to be getting some upgrades later, so it's a bit more useful than it looks here, but it'll still always have the weakest Operation V due to upgrade limits and it'll have a bunch of various other problems. It is the dodgiest MS we have now though so it's still the best.
Now, onto Dragonar units! Technically, D2 is the first, but let's do them in order, shall we? Dragonar 1 first.

Oh, as an aside - no videos for any of the basic Dragonars currently exist. Sorry. I'll post them when we get to the Lifters.
[+] Spoiler

DRAGONAR 1

3500-5250 HP
130-260 EN
900-1350 Armor
105-131 Mobility (5 bars)
6 movement range
Land movement
M size
-ACA terrain types.
Has a Shield.

Mech Abilities:

None.

Attacks:

Shoulder Bomb: Melee, Post-Movement, 1600-3850, 1-3 Range, +20 hit, 0 crit, 4 Ammo, AACA terrains, Arm Mounted
75mm Hand Railgun: Range, Post-Movement, 2300-4550, 1-4 Range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Beam Sword: Melee, Post-Movement, 2700-4950, 1-3 range, +40 hit, +30 crit, -ABA terrains, Arm Mounted

Notes: Dragonar 1 is by far the best of the three at the endgame, but as of right now it's sort of the worst. On the other hand, it's pretty much the easiest Real for grinding Melee Ace. Not yet, though, its Beam Sword isn't quite there yet.

It has a set of parts, too! And those are pretty useful right now, if you're not trying to grind Melee Ace.

CAVALIER-0

3900-5850 HP
140-280 EN
1000-1500 Armor
100-125 Mobility (5 bars)
6 movement range
Land movement
M size
-ACS terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Separate (into Dragonar 1)
EWAC (As I explained last stage, EWAC is much like a large command aura - it creates a large area where accuracy and evasion is increased for your units and decreased for enemies. It will lose effectiveness if the unit Head is damaged, though, and much faster than your actual Accuracy penalties will go.)

Attacks:

75mm Hand Railgun: Range, Post-Movement, 2300-4550, 1-4 Range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
220mm Railcannon: Range, 2800-5050, 3-6 range, +10 hit, +10 crit, 6 Ammo, AABA terrains

Notes: The Cavalier-0 is definitely preferable to Dragonar 1 if you've already gotten Melee Ace, and maybe even if you haven't. It can shoot farther and hit harder than D1 can, and if it ever does somehow run out of ammo or HP it can armor purge to fix that.
Next up, Dragonar 2.
[+] Spoiler

DRAGONAR 2

4000-6000 HP
140-280 EN
1000-1500 Armor
100-125 Mobility (5 bars)
6 movement range
Land movement
M size
-ACA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

Resupply Module (Not something we've seen yet, a Resupply module allows you to renew a units entire EN and Ammo supply, and gives a good chunk of EXP based on the level difference. Bad news is, it costs 10 Will off the unit getting Resupplied, but 10 Will isn't THAT bad a loss)

Attacks:

Plasma Grenade: Melee, Post-Movement, 1600-3850, 1-3 Range, +20 hit, 0 crit, 4 Ammo, AACA terrains, Arm Mounted
88mm Hand Railgun: Range, Post-Movement, 2400-4650, 1-4 Range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
2 Gatling Guns: Range, 2600-4850, 2-5 range, +10 hit, 0 crit, 6 Ammo, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
280mm Railcannon: Range, 2800-5050, 3-6 range, +10 hit, +10 crit, 6 Ammo, AABA terrains

Notes: At this point, Dragonar 2 is probably the best of the three. It's also a mech that's insanely hard to get Melee Ace from, but I've done it! Having an early Resupply machine with a pilot who's definitely built for support - more on him later - is a good thing and will help greatly. D2 is built to last all through the game, though we'll probably be ditching it before the end unfortunately.
Finally, he's here for you, it's the last member of the Dragonar crew - specifically Dragonar 3.
[+] Spoiler

DRAGONAR 3

3400-5100 HP
120-240 EN
800-1200 Armor
110-137 Mobility (5 bars)
6 movement range
Land movement
M size
-ACA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

EWAC
Jammer (A fun ability, it lets D3 be completely immune to all missiles. Unlike the show, we can't use this to make all missile attacks hit the person who fired them or change targets, unfortunately.)
Repair Module (The counterpart to the Resupply module, it repairs Body HP. The Repair amount is tied to level, and the EXP gain is mostly related to how much was repaired, so early game it's usually not very efficient and lategame it isn't as useful because of spirits. Usually. However, late GC has a number of stages that it's a good idea to seriously conserve SP for, so having Repair is a good idea for those.)

Attacks:

50mm Hand Railgun: Range, Post-Movement, 2200-4450, 1-4 Range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted

Notes: D3 is not built for combat, as its entire purview is a wholly different type of warfare - electronic warfare. (Meaning D1, 2, and 3 are Close Range, Long Range, and Electronic. Makes more sense to me than claiming the Guncannon and its massive shoulder cannons are made for MID RANGE COMBAT honestly) However, as the game goes on and it upgrades, it will become more useful in that regard, and in terms of utility it's a great unit. AP was D3's best showing and will always be, but it's no slouch in GC. Even if it has less HP than a fucking car.
For the first bit of fun, let's cover all of Braiger's pilots in one spoiler. Eyay!
[+] Spoiler

JOTARO "BLASTER" KID:

SP: 45-158

Melee: 150-248
Range: 150-297
Accuracy: 130-261
Evasion: 90-188
Defense: 110-208
Skill: 175-306

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 1, 2 at 9, 3 at 17, 4 at 25, 5 at 33, 6 at 41, 7 at 49, 8 at 56)
COVER: (1 at 30, 2 at 40).

Spirits:

Strike: Level 1, costs 15.
Snipe: Level 1, costs 15.
Flash: Level 15, costs 10. (This is best for Spirit Ace, although any of Kid's first 3 are good.)
Hot Blood: Level 31, costs 40.
Yell: Level 42, costs 40.
Friendship: Level 46, costs 45.

On top of being the main pilot, Kid's got a lot of important spirits on his set, so watch his SP. Most of these can be given by a different pilot though. It's fortunate that his Range growth is the one maximized instead of Melee, Braiger might have a lot of Melee attacks but it's Range on all the most important things.

Kid only controls Braiger, though. When it transforms into Brai Thunder or Brai Star, the main person in charge is the best racer in the galaxy, Bowie!

STEPHAN BOWIE:

SP: 40-158

Melee: 130-228
Range: 145-292
Accuracy: 120-246
Evasion: 105-203
Defense: 100-198
Skill: 173-304

Skills:

COVER: (1 at 10, 2 at 30).

Spirits:

Accel: Level 1, costs 5. (SPIRIT ACE)
Guts: Level 1, costs 40.
Focus: Level 11, costs 15.
Luck: Level 17, costs 35. (Somehow haven't gone over this one yet. Luck lets the pilot get 2x money out of their next attack, so if it's not a kill it's for nothing. Bless is the ally target version of this.)
Hot Blood: Level 40, costs 40. (Good to have a backup of this)
Daunt: Level 53, costs 55.

Why in god's name is Bowie's evasion so low... he's incapable of tanking properly and doesn't have Prevail... But either way Bowie being a possible main pilot is useful because he also gets discounted Hot Blood. Remember, he can't get Melee Ace, since the only two units he can pilot only have Range moves.

Braiger has two subpilots no matter what form it's in as well.

ANGEL OMACHI:

SP: 30-128

SPIRITS:

Scan: Level 1, costs 1. (Lets you see enemy stats. This is BY FAR the best spirit in the game for grinding Spirit Ace, and it is a damn shame that Omachi is a pure subpilot and can't get that.)
Flash: Level 1, costs 10.
Bless: Level 19, costs 40.
Guard: Level 22, costs 25.
Strike: Level 38, costs 20.
Love: Level 55, costs 85.

One cast of Love and one cast of Bless and she'll run dry at max SP. And she'll only get to THAT at very high levels. Angel has a bit of an SP problem. Plus, she's the only Guard provider in the group! It might be best to forgo ever using Love for this thing.

ISAAC GODONOV:

SP: 35-133

SPIRITS:

Guts: Level 1, costs 35.
Assault: Level 10, costs 25.
Trust: Level 20, costs 30.
Yell: Level 35, costs 40.
Zeal: Level 50, costs 55.

Isaac's got five really important spirits and a Trust that might come in handy, so that's cool.

Overall, Braiger is a great unit, mostly because it has four pilots that work well in tandem.
Next, Amuro Ray.
[+] Spoiler

AMURO RAY:

SP: 50-158

Melee: 150-248
Range: 158-305
Accuracy: 140-271
Evasion: 128-226
Defense: 92-190
Skill: 186-317

Skills:

NEWTYPE: (3 at 1, 4 at 12, 5 at 25, 6 at 33, 7 at 39, 8 at 45, 9 at 55) (Newtype is a Universal Century Gundam thing, as it levels up it increases pilot Accuracy and Evasion and it raises the range of weapons which require Newtype pilots. Amuro gets level 9, which is cool)
SHIELD DEFENSE: (at start) (literally everyone who can ever wield a shield has this why is it a skill)
COVER: (1 at 35).
SNIPING: (at start) (A very special ability! Sniping means that Amuro can always target whatever part of the body he wants, which means he can always hit things Head or Arm no matter the size difference, and, possibly more importantly, he can always aim for the Body of battleships and their ilk. Useful!)

Spirits:

Flash: Level 1, costs 10.
Focus: Level 1, costs 10. (Your Spirit Ace spirits)
Fury: Level 5, costs 25.
Hot Blood: Level 25, costs 40.
Zeal: Level 44, costs 55.
Soul: Level 49, costs 55. (A HELLA exclusive spirit, this allows the pilot to hit for 2.5x damage instead of just 2x! Anyone with Soul is a good choice for a pilot in this game, since Reals can't inherently hit as hard as Supers, I think the best a Real gets is 5800 base power and Supers pretty much all get 6150.)

His Defense growths are grotesque, but the hope is that Amuro is never ever hit. And at everything else he excels.
Continuing through the Universal Century, Kai Shiden.
[+] Spoiler

KAI SHIDEN:

SP: 65-163

Melee: 136-234
Range: 146-293
Evasion: 117-215
Defense: 105-236
Skill: 170-268

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 3, 2 at 13, 3 at 23, 4 at 33, 5 at 43, 6 at 53)
SHIELD DEFENSE: (at base)
COVER: (1 at 1, 2 at 24, 3 at 34).

Spirits:

Focus: Level 1, costs 15.
Flash: Level 12, costs 10. (This is best for Spirit Ace, although any of Kai's first 3 and his fifth are good.)
Hot Blood: Level 27, costs 40.
Fury: Level 38, costs 10.
Daunt: Level 46, costs 50.

Kai's stats are somewhat average, but his cheap spirits, Daunt, and lack of any really bad aspect makes him one of the better Oldtypes in the game, as it should be.
Next, Hayato Kobayashi.
[+] Spoiler

HAYATO KOBAYASHI

SP: 70-168

Melee: 142-240
Range: 145-292
Accuracy: 128-259
Evasion: 110-208
Defense: 115-246

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 2, 2 at 12, 3 at 22, 4 at 32, 5 at 42, 6 at 52)
COVER: (1 at 1, 2 at 23, 3 at 33).

Spirits:

Gain: Level 1, costs 15. (Your Spirit Ace things)
Strike: Level 15, costs 20.
Guts: Level 36, costs 35.
Yell: Level 44, costs 40.

Aside from Operation V, there is no reason you should ever want to use Hayato Kobayashi. He doesn't particularly excel at anything, most of his stuff is high in cost, and he doesn't have standout spirits like Kai's Daunt.
Next, Bright Noa, our first Battleship captain.
[+] Spoiler

BRIGHT NOA

SP: 90-188

Melee: 95-193 (Can't get Melee Ace)
Accuracy: 130-266
Evasion: 65-163
Defense: 96-227
Skill: 182-280

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 1, 2 at 8, 3 at 16, 4 at 22, 5 at 30, 6 at 36, 7 at 48, 8 at 55)
COVER: (1 at 1, 2 at 23, 3 at 33).
LEADERSHIP: (1 at 1, 2 at 18, 3 at 29). (Leadership creates an aura around the unit - size based on the level of Leadership - within which Accuracy and Evasion are boosted. Leadership bonuses STACK. High levels of this are really good things to have.)

Spirits:

Fortitude: Level 1, costs 25.
Strike: Level 1, costs 25.
Accel: Level 12, costs 5. (This is best for Spirit Ace by far.)
Assault: Level 20, costs 25.
Rouse: Level 40, costs 55. (Rouse is Yell except used on an ally, it raises one unit's Will by 10)
Love: Level 47, costs 85.

Bright has high Spirit costs, but those are made up for by having really good SP and one spirit that costs 5 (great for Spirit Ace). His Skill is also really high, so getting crits with him isn't bad. He's not so good at taking hits, but Bright's certainly got a good set of stats on him, and that's part of why battleships in GC are good.
Moving onto Dragonar now, we'll start with Kain Wakaba.
[+] Spoiler

KAIN WAKABA

SP: 55-153

Melee: 152-299
Accuracy: 136-267
Evasion: 121-219
Defense: 110-241

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 5, 2 at 13, 3 at 21, 4 at 29, 5 at 37, 6 at 45, 7 at 53)
SHIELD DEFENSE: (at base) (by the way, the only Shield equipped unit from Dragonar is D1, and no one else can pilot it, so Kain's the only one who gets that.)
COVER: (1 at 8, 2 at 28, 3 at 38).

Spirits:

Fortitude: Level 1, costs 10.
Focus: Level 1, costs 15.
Accel: Level 6, costs 5. (This is best for Spirit Ace, though personally I used all three of Kain's first three to get it every other time.)
Hot Blood: Level 25, costs 35.
Yell: Level 32, costs 45.
Soul: Level 50, costs 55.

His spirit pool is basically Melee Real.shn, but Kain's got some good stats and skills. Although, being Melee focused might not be the best idea altogether... oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to the 30s.
After Kain it's the pilot of D2, Tapp Oceano.
[+] Spoiler

TAPP OCEANO

Melee: 146-244
Range: 149-296
Accuracy: 135-266
Evasion: 119-217
Defense: 115-246
Skill: 164-262

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 6, 2 at 15, 3 at 24, 4 at 33, 5 at 42, 6 at 51)
COVER: (1 at 3, 2 at 23, 3 at 33).

Spirits:

Luck: Level 1, costs 35.
Cheer: Level 1, costs 20.
Strike: Level 3, costs 20. (Use this and Cheer for Spirit Ace, and try not to pull too many teeth.)
Hot Blood: Level 26, costs 40.
Guard: Level 34, costs 30.
Renew: Level 42, costs 55.

Getting Tapp Spirit and Melee Ace as soon as you possibly can is a very big deal and you should attempt to do it, even if he'll barely use Melee moves ever and you might not use him after the early game, as he is your main Cheer provider for a long, long time.
And finally from Dragonar, we have D3's pilot, Light Newman.
[+] Spoiler

LIGHT NEWMAN

SP: 58-156

Melee: 145-244
Range: 149-296
Accuracy: 135-266
Evasion: 123-217
Defense: 105-246
Skill: 165-262

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 6, 2 at 15, 3 at 24, 4 at 33, 5 at 42, 6 at 51)
COVER: (1 at 3, 2 at 23, 3 at 33).

Spirits:

Scan: Level 1, costs 1. (literally the best spirit for Spirit Ace in the game)
Trust: Level 1, costs 25.
Focus: Level 8, costs 15.
Confuse: Level 36, costs 45.
Enable: Level 44, costs 85. (A rather rare spirit that comes too late for a normal player to see with Light - unless you use him in the endgame for favoritism reasons - this is the targetted version of Zeal, it lets one ally that already moved move again.)

Light is going to be your first person with Spirit Ace unless you're crazy and/or me, so his Trust will be very useful through most of the game. It is a DAMN SHAME that getting him Melee Ace is absurdly difficult.
And that's all our new units covered, so...

...Oh? We appear to have an unassigned pilot, with no units available. And he's a real special case too! So say hello to...
[+] Spoiler

RYU JOSE

SP: 65-163

Melee: 140-238
Evasion: 112-210
Defense: 113-244
Skill: 176-274

Skills:

PREVAIL: (1 at 1, 2 at 10, 3 at 19, 4 at 28, 5 at 37, 6 at 46, 7 at 55)
COVER: (1 at 1, 2 at 22, 3 at 32).

Spirits:

Guts: Level 1, costs 40.
Fortitude: Level 3, costs 15. (Spirit Ace)
Trust: Level 10, costs 25.
Hot Blood: Level 28, costs 40.
Strike: Level 41, costs 20.
Friendship: Level 46, costs 45.

Yep, Ryu's playable. For the first time since the Classics, and for the last time in the franchise up until its current stock of games in 2016. He's not that bad, either, because of his fairly solid stats, and he's pretty much just the best Gundam character for a long time for the big and tanky machines we'll get later on. He'd be strictly better than Hayato if not for two things - lack of Operation V, and the fact that he takes fucking forever to get an Accuracy spirit.

So, the first big thing of note - the Cavalier 0 is, as I said, a part pack to Dragonar 1, so that means we finally have a use for the Unit Parts button. When we go there, we get a list of units... currently only containing this one... and when we click it we get this. We can swap between the two.

There's really no reason not to use Cavalier 0 as I already have Melee Ace.

We also have our parts from the last stage. The Magnetic Coating raises Mobility by 5 - it used to make a lot more sense because it raised Limit by 20, which is basically what the Magnetic Coating did, but Limit is fortunately never going to be a thing again after it got the axe after Alpha Gaiden/A (We don't count Compact 3 because it's shit). I'm giving it to the Gundam for purposes of "it needs more Mobility."

Also, since I keep forgetting, there's the disposable parts. The first is the Propellant Tank, which restores all unit EN, second is the Repair Kit, which restores all Body EN, and the third is the Cartridge, which restores all Ammo. We've also seen Spare Parts by this point, they are notable for restoring all HP of one of your parts, which can be useful. The last two of these - since I'm not showing them off again - are the Emergency Rations, which restore your SP - HIGHLY useful and might be worth keeping - and the Super Repair Kit, which restores absolutely everything on your unit to full, which is rather easy to get ahold of so if you ever need one you can get it pretty fast. I never use disposables in any game without Neo's "reusable disposable" power though, they'll all get sold.

We also got a Skill Part. This one's simple, Accuracy +10, but they'll grow in power later. Bowie gets this because his accuracy is shit.

NEXT TIME: We resort to piracy, and it is the greatest thing ever.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

September 17th, 2016, 9:50 pm #11

[+] Stage 4: Grand Theft Mecha
Alright, this update's the one.

We begin this update with the universe's end, as the Blue Falcon of Giganos meets his alternate universe counterpart, the Red Comet of Zeon, and thus all of reality comes to a collapse. But seriously, Meio Plato notes to Char that they really do know nothing about the Gundam and its cohorts, and perhaps a small troop of Zakus should be sent as advance scouts to gauge the power of the MSes. Perhaps if they're lucky, these Zakus could even win against the Federation units! Of course, that seems a mite delusional to me, as we beat up quite a significant number of Zakus last time, but oh well.
Kaine, Tapp, and Light are in the cafeteria after a grueling training session with Sarge, but Light soon spots a pretty girl - who turns out to be Akemi, eating with Watta. Akemi and Watta introduce themselves as the pilots of the Soul Gunner and Trider G7, and the trio are astounded that such a cute girl and a small child could be piloting the mighty robots that saved them (normally I’d say that “mighty” is a little much, but Dragonar 1 is literally never getting a solo move stronger than the Soul Gunner’s current finisher due to dumb upgrade related things, so...). Watta takes offense to this, as he’s the president of a company and deserves to be treated with respect, and Light has heard of the Takeo General Company. Kaine introduces his trio, and notes that he’s sort of the leader of their gang.

Akemi notes that with their close age, the group should be friends, and commends the trio on their piloting skills. Kaine gets smug, but Light and Tapp point out that the Dragonars actually have powerful supercomputers assisting the pilots (I suppose they do mention this, oops.) Akemi totally gets where they’re coming from given her own circumstances, and the trio note that there’s quite a few conscripts - guys like Amuro were also conscripted.

Frau Bow, Linda Plato, Diane Lance, and Rose Patterson (the first from Gundam, the latter three from Dragonar) come in to show the refugees where the cafeteria is and where they’ll get whatever other limited supplies they need. Akemi pegs the latter three as volunteers (two out of three ain’t bad, though not like anyone will know that until much later). Immediately pairing happens as Kain gets attracted to Linda, Tapp gets attracted to Rose, and Light gets attracted to Diane - unfortunately Light is going to lose this one. Sorry. Akemi asks Frau where the ship is headed, and it’s going to Luna Two - helpfully Romanized in the guide I’m reading as “Lunatz” because that’s totally Luna 2 - and Kain figures that’s when their fight is going to be over.
The alarm sounds and Akemi and Watta get professional, preparing to go to their mechs. The three Dragonar boys aren’t so enthused, but with a little support from their new waifus they get motivated. Ah, young love.

Hayato asks Ryu if they have any uniforms closer to his size, but according to Ryu, that kid size was the closest they had. SAVAGE. Amuro tries to pull his whiny early show shit and notes that the Feds are already using them, but Kid attempts to give him another perspective - that doing nothing would be far worse, and not to think of it as people using you, but to instead think of it as fighting to protect your friends, loved ones, and the refugees. This seems to work, although Kid of course doesn’t mention that he himself is getting paid top buck to do things like this. (Then again, he’s part of the Cosmorangers J9, protecting the innocent is their thing.)

When you deploy - with a proper deploy screen and everything! - Bright points out to Kain that the Cavalier 0 is available for use, and that if we’re going to survive, we need to use everything possible. It’s a bit late for that. Amuro is a force deploy here (I’m not 100% on him having to be in the Gundam, if you wanted to main him in the Guntank or whatever it may be possible on this stage).

Ryu, who is almost certainly on the bench right now, says to Bright that we have too little manpower right now, but maybe they could consider something else. Amuro seems to be a pretty good shot (uh, what? He just became a pilot) and Ryu believes that he could knock the limbs right off the Zakus. And if it’s immobilized... well, it’s an issue of MANPOWER, isn’t it? Amuro doesn’t quite like being pressured into doing things, but he’ll do this.

Ryu isn’t lying, by the way. Amuro’s Sniping ability does indeed mean he can target any part of the enemy at any time. And that’s finally coming into play, because...

...we are not allowed to kill all three Zakus. We can kill two, but the third has to have something special done, or else we’ll game over. For this, you need to shoot out its parts. Amuro should immediately focus on doing this to one Zaku, but he’s not alone - another way to allow yourself to target parts is to be a size under the enemy, and you have Braiger on your side. Braiger can turn into a normal sized car (it’s fucking magic technobabble bullshit ok? I can provide an explanation and it’s reasonably simple but it’s time consuming and irrelevant.), which puts it at the S size, while Zakus are all M.

When you’ve done that, Bright will say to get the battleship closer. Move the battleship next to the Zaku (which now has no weapons because they’re all Arm mounted, couldn’t hit for shit even if it did have them, and can only move one space a turn).

You’ll notice the yellow text next to this freshly disabled Zaku. That’s your cue.

Now you just hit the new “Capture” command, and...

BOOM.

I HAVE BEEN CONCEALING THIS PART FOR TOO LONG, AND IT IS TIME TO BE REVEALED.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, AMURO RAY JUST TOOK HIS GUNDAM AND ZAKUJACKED A GUY.

In SRW GC, the part system’s real purpose is not to neuter bosses. Most of the final ones that are big enough of a threat to want it have HP Regen and can get health on their parts back anyway. No, it’s for the mooks. Any unit piloted by a mook in GC can be captured by disabling its parts, moving the battleship next to it, and Capturing it. And when you capture it? IT’S FUCKING YOURS NOW!

But there are restrictions. Obviously, you didn’t kill the thing, so you get no EXP from doing this. Once you do capture it, most units can’t really do anything - sure, Gundam units can be piloted by our Gundam guys, and the Dragonar guys can use Dragonar units, but who the hell can pilot AI controlled units or Dinosaur Empire grunts? No one. So those are useless for the “can kill enemies with them” side. On the plus side, capturing can also allow you to convert the unit into cold, hard cash (twice as much as you’d get from the kill, same as a Luck cast) or to turn them into a part (usually a cheap disposable one, some lategame enemies have really good part drops that make capturing them damn near required.).

Capturing is a really fun system and I’d love to see it in another SRW, but we’ll get to some of the hilarious things you can do with it later. For now, we need to continue on with the update.

Char and Meio arrive on the scene, apparently a bit too late to catch our Zaku-napping, and after a quick note that we must be heading for Luna 2, they immediately divvy up duties. Char is going to fight the Federation’s new MSes, and Meio is going to take his Practice Squad and continue their hunt for the D-Weapons. Bright orders for a counterattack (against Char?), while everyone on the bridge finally realizes that this is a real war they’re in now. Marker, one of the bridge crew on the White Base, realizes that one of the Zakus is red, and is moving three times faster! Isaac calmly notes that it must be the infamous Red Comet, and that his comrade is the equally famous Blue Falcon. Bright knows who they are, and wonders if the ship will come out of this alright, but Isaac notes that they’ll be alright. (you know, since Braiger could basically handle all of these enemies by itself. Wouldn’t even be that big a change of pace, it fights small mobile enemies all the damn time.)

By the way, because of how relatively minor everything’s been until now, I forgot to mention that Akemi can’t sortie. She does so now, and Fairy points out that fighting battleships is a whole new ballgame, in that you have to take down their parts. She’s not wrong, though it requires context - fighting from one size under the enemy lets you take out any part, but being TWO sizes under requires you to hit parts before you attack the enemy yourself. Trider G7, being an L size unit, can directly attack the enemy battleships, and of course the White Base can as well. Amuro can also do it thanks to his ability.
By the way, the fact that you have to take out their parts make most mook-piloted battleships excellent capture targets. They also give a lot of money when sold. But be careful, most will hold parts to repair themselves.

As a reminder, Snipe also allows you to hit any enemy area while its effect is active.

This stage offers only one more unit that you can both capture and keep, that being the Dreu. It’s still a horrible clunker of a machine on your side, but there’s no real reason NOT to bag one. GC offers hangar space enough for one of every kind of unit and a decent amount of spare change.

Of course, while killing parts on the Dreu we’re setting up to capture, a bunch of wiseasses get the idea to aim for the defenseless Bry Thunder. Be careful about that! A lot of enemy units can and will hit you from 6 range if your unit does not have 6 range, and quite a few things you get don’t have that much.

So I may have forgotten to take pictures of the Musai... and the Char Custom Zaku... and the Falmel... and ALL OF THE PRACTICE SQUAD... yeah, I made a mistake this time. I’ll get those next update. Right now, I’d like to point out Meio’s UNIQUE Will type - he’s one of a rare number of bosses who loses Will when their allies are shot down, as you can see here with his 97 Will, but gets really good bonuses from pretty much everything else. Never engage Meio until you’ve taken out all of his mooks, as the lowered damage he deals helps, and he is an accurate son of a bitch.

Speaking of Meio, this is the one time in the entire franchise that the base Falguen has been a thing. The Falguen is an extraordinarily rare Giganosian mech, in that they made one and then never attempted to make another, so I always sort of assumed it was supposed to be something along the lines of a Dragonar 0 or 4 - since those are the only other units that fit that mold. (Well technically there’s one other that didn’t get mass produced and was only used by one guy, but bits of that machine ended up in another later. We’ll talk about that one later.) It’s a lot like D1 in that it has a very good Beam Saber, but it also has missiles and things that make its range not so terrible. Its low HP is there to fool you into thinking it’s an easy target - at this point that’s two hits from all but Super finishers, and those will require Strike to hit, because good fucking god Meio is a dodgy son of a bitch. And he’s really accurate too, enough to hit your Reals easily. And he hits pretty hard so you need some Support Defense to make sure your team can take him.

Being overleveled may have perks, but this Bry Spear DIDN’T OHKO Meio, and I doubt anything less than Bry Sword or Bry Cannon would do so.

His Practice Squad isn’t particularly bad, being only lesser Meios, but don’t underestimate Char either. He’s already going to have levels in Newtype even if you haven’t grinded, and he has a move that other Zakus don’t - a ramming attack that will probably never miss and does abhorrent amounts of damage. It’s only 1-3, but so are all of your finishers from things that aren’t Braiger (or the White Base, but the White Base can’t hit him with its strongest moves since they only work on L and 2L enemies.).

The Guntank’s B in Space is not the only reason this battleship can hit 100% on it. Battleships in this game, for some reason, tend to be really damn accurate, thus inverting how they usually work. And their size means they hit hard. Watch for them, and if you can, smash their Control and Weapons as fast as possible. (But don’t actually take any part out until you’re ready to kill or capture since a lot of ships have disposable parts and will instantly heal injuries like that.)

Level 9 Newtype is an amazing thing in GC. It gives you 20% extra Accuracy and Evasion, and has a cool effect on other moves that we can’t show off quite yet (I think our first mech with that ability is in the 30s or really late 20s at least).
Despite that, Amuro is getting hit 100% by Char. And if it hits, without a very lucky Shield proc or a Support Defend, the Gundam is basically fucked from full HP.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE ACCURACY OF BOSSES IN THIS GAME, AND DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THEIR POWER.

Of course, if you take proper precautions, any boss will fall easily enough. Taste the power of Operation V, Char! When he dies, he notes that he may have seriously underestimated your group (Char, there is a robot on my side that is three times yours’ size which can turn into a giant glowing bird. What the fuck did you think was going to happen?) and flees.

Here we see Angel Omachi’s SP in its natural state.

Kain meets his future in-law, and does what should be done to all in-laws. (But I jest.) When Kain and Meio first fight, assuming Meio isn’t dead, Kain realizes his enemy is bullshit good at this, and Meio is extraordinarily surprised that Kain is still alive - and he’s pretty sure that’s not only the specs of the machine. He takes off, noting, like Char, that he allowed himself to get very careless, somehow not noticing the fact that one of our robots turned from a normal car (that worked in space!) into a robot twice his machine’s size and hit him with a spear that also grew from something miniature and was probably actually larger than the Falguen.

Also at some point I took out the Falmel and forgot to show it because it’s a remarkably unimportant boss. Dren flees too. I think Slender or Crown or one of those other early Gundam characters shows up here and dies as well, and I forgot to cap it, but eh, minor UC characters getting their shit kicked in is normal.

Once you beat the stage, you get this menu, and on this menu you see all the things you captured. When you click them, you get three options. The first keeps the machine, and the second and third either sell them or scrap them for parts. You can also just leave this menu through the button on the right and access it in the intermission if you want to be safe.

Your crew redocks with the White Base, except for Bryger, who leaves at Issac’s request - apparently a lead on their enemy has come up, so despite what Kid wants, they have to go do that. They leave the protection detail temporarily up to Akemi and Watta, since they’re at Luna 2 anyway. (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)

When you arrive there, Commander Wakkein relays orders from the top brass to Bright - he needs to get to Jaburo. Bright asks if they can at least drop off the refugees and wounded at Luna 2, but Wakkein unfortunately can’t - they need to leave sometime around the time of five minutes ago. At Bright’s noting that they can’t reach Jaburo in their current condition, he notes that it’s a new model ship, and there’s nothing he can do about it. Bright leaves rather angrily, and a subordinate asks Wakkein if they’ll be able to make it, but while he’s not sure, there’s nothing he can do - he intends to resupply them and give them a Salamis class to help with their descent, but that’s all he can spare. He’s not quite a fan of the fact that they’re basically drafting civilians now to get the job done.

Elsewhere, Kouji Kabuto sneezes and wonders when he’s going to become important to this game’s plot.

Bright relays the news, and Mirai says to Watta and Akemi that their contract is being extended until the ship reaches Jaburo. Watta notes that this is one of his longest contracts, but it’s not like he can just let the refugees die. Akemi despairs at the fact that she’s still not going home, but Mirai says that I just want to say good luck, everyone’s counting on you, and that makes her feel slightly better.

Kai wonders if they can even make the trip alone, and Sayla says that no, they get a Salamis class to help them. Fat load of good that is but w/e. Amuro tells Kai to be quiet, complaining won’t do anything to help at this point, and Akemi notes that they should take the opportunity to check up on their machines to see how they’re doing. Amuro silently notes that they need to do everything they can to survive.

So! We have two entirely new units now! Let’s take a look at them.

First off, our fancy new Zaku, which has no video because... there isn’t a video of it! Not sure what the issue is but whatever.
[+] Spoiler

ZAKU II

4600-6900 HP
100-200 EN
750-1125 Armor
85-127 Mobility
5 movement range
Land movement
M size
-ACA terrain types.
Has a Shield.

Mech Abilities:

None

Attacks:

Zaku Machinegun: Range, Post-Movement, 2000-4200, 1-4 Range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo, AABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Heat Hawk: Melee, Post-Movement, 2200-4400, 1 Range, +40 hit, +30 crit, -ABA terrains, Arm Mounted
Zaku Bazooka: Range, 2400-4600, 2-6 range, 0 hit, +20 crit, 4 Ammo, AAAA terrains, Arm Mounted

Notes: Our first captured mech! The Zaku can be piloted by any UC Gundam character (and I immediately put Ryu in this one because he needs something to pilot). It’s a very basic machine and we’ll get many better than it, but to be fair to the Zaku, it’s not the WORST thing we can capture, and at this point any new mech is good. Of course, we’re going to get a straight upgrade to it in like two stages but whatever.
Our other new mech is the Giganos Dreu.
[+] Spoiler

DREU

4000-6000 HP
100-200 EN
700-1050 Armor
90-135 Mobility
5 movement range
Land movement
M size
-ACA terrain types.

Mech Abilities:

None

Attacks:

Active Homing Missile: Range, 1800-4000, 2-6 Range, +20 hit, 0 crit, 4 Ammo, AACA terrains, Arm Mounted
50mm Hand Railgun: Range, Post-Movement, 2000-4200, 1-4 Range, +15 hit, +10 crit, 10 Ammo AABA terrains, Arm Mounted

Notes: This is probably the worst robot in the game - never, ever use it. Ever. In fact even capturing one of these is probably a bad idea unless you want to challenge yourself. The enemies are going to stop using it in a few stages, follow their example.
NEXT TIME: We take pictures of the enemies we missed this time, also The 08th MS Squad starts!
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

November 13th, 2016, 7:45 am #12

[+] Stage 5: The 08th MS god can we just get to Shining In The Storm yet?

Since I apparently didn’t mention it last time, Ryu is going in my shiny new Zaku 2.
It’s terribly unfitting for him, but we won’t have something fitting for him until the 10s (maybe early 20s?) so it’ll have to do.

Also, we have a pilot part now. These increase pilot stats. This one is an Accuracy +10, which is going on Watta because goddamn he’s bad at hitting things.

Onto mission 5.

Char and Meiyo are discussing the power of the Project V mechs and the D-Weapons, and note that our force has too much power for just their current forces. They need to be reinforced, badly. They decide to go grab some forces from the surrounding areas, and Char notes that we’re either going to Japan or Jaburo from our current heading, and that to let us reach Earth in either of those places would be disastrous. Also, it’s brought up that the Federation is planning to mass produce suits based on the two projects.
This seems strange to me, as Jaburo is in fucking South America and Japan is... well, Japan, so they shouldn’t involve the same headings, but what do I know?

The White Base left Luna 2, but unfortunately the translation guide says nothing about what they’re saying right now. Probably not very important.

Meanwhile, some dumb asshole named Shiro is looking out the window of the spaceship (uh) and notes that it’s quite different seeing it at this distance than from Side 2. Michael, his similarly bitchy person-in-same-Salamis-class notes that they’re going to a war, and that they should be super duper serious at all times guys seriously don’t take time to admire the scenery.

Fortunately those two fuckwits are interrupted by a fight between the Earth Federation and Zeon, featuring... uh, what the fuck? Those are regular GMs. Even GM Early Types weren’t around at this stage of the war. How the hell...?
Uh, anyway, the squad led by Sanders is getting their ass kicked by a fairly large force of Zeeks, and Sanders wonders if he’s finally going to die with his squad this time, having lost a few squads already. Shiro, not wanting to be some asshole that sits on the sidelines while his side dies, rushes up to the Captain to try and see if he can help out. The captain, one “Reed”, notes that he HAS to get to the White Base, but even if he didn’t, there’s nothing he can do here - the Salamis is no match for this level of Mobile Suits, and its only Mobile Suit contingent is getting hammered. Shiro offers to sortie, but it’s not like they have extra units... except, they do have one other unit.
And so it goes that Shiro Amada gets in a totally unmodified Ball. Now, I’d like to take a moment out of my busy schedule to remind people that 08th MS was a fucking terrible show, and I’d like to direct your attention to the scene of Shiro, in a Ball (which was in the show modified to be slightly better, but a slightly better Ball is still a fucking Ball even if it’s Victory era), tanking fucking gunfire from a Zaku like it’s the Gundam. This is literally VOTOMS Alone Again tier shit.

Me being annoyed at popular things as per usual aside, Shiro at least has one big Ball, as he decides to immediately rush to the fanciest unit on the battlefield and take it out of the conflict. He yells at Sanders to retreat, he’s going to take the unit out of the fight, and indeed, he drags away the modified ZAKU, along with its startled pilot.

Her backup, one Norris Packard, is shocked by the absurdity - but he’s a professional and he has to finish this fight before he can go searching for her. (I’d... question that. This was supposed to be a test of the High Mobility Zaku, it’s kind of a shitty test if you lose the unit halfway through.)

Either way, Sanders is now alone in a GM and has to protect a Salamis. This kind of sucks, as Sanders, despite calling himself a Shinigami (Fuck you OE, you had Sanders and Gundam Wing and you didn’t have him meet Duo Maxwell.), isn’t actually that good at killing things, especially not in a piss unit like the GM. But fortunately, sizes work in our favor, as there’s only one thing on the battlefield actually able to target the body of the ship.

why does he have strike and fortitude
why not focus or even fucking guard
why
Basically just never let him near the enemies while he’s alone or you’re fucked.

Fortunately, one turn later, and before the enemies can get too close, the White Base shows up. Reed fills Bright in on the situation and your guys sortie.

Double fortunately, Braiger shows up! Yay! Turns out they were passing through the area when they saw a Ball and an experimental Zaku floating around, went “what the hell”, and decided to take a look. They point out that if Char’s in the area, he’ll be here quickly, so we’d better wrap things up fast.
(no, Char will not show up in this stage if you take it slowly, unfortunately.)

This isn’t really as bad as it looks. Sure, the Salamis Kai is a weak unit, but again - only the battleship can hit it at full strength. And the Salamis can unleash an actually pretty strong attack on enemy L and 2L units, like their Musai! So this works out pretty well. Keeping it defended is easy, really.

Even after the reinforcement wave. Some Giganos pilots show up and say they’re here to help Norris by Char’s request, but Norris figures they’re just after us.
Note that their commander isn’t a named character.

Be careful around bosses! Even in a pissy regular Zaku 2, Norris Packard packs a fucking wallop in this game. And most other bosses are the same. If I was the Bry Thunder... for some reason... this would probably have killed me.

I got some pretty neat shots of the carnage though. Once you have units in the area, Sanders can move into the conflict - he’s not BAD, just being alone in a GM in this situation is a good way to die. Also it can’t use his natural Assault, if you’ve got the levels that high - GM has Vulcans, its Beam Shotgun (which is in this context a regular Beam Rifle but weaker), and a Beam Saber - but the GM is temporary for him and he’ll be getting a better ride that will be his for any foreseeable future which loves it.

The Musai is one of Zeon’s primary ships. The first ship designed with Mobile Suits in mind, it was very impressive for its time... but it had absolutely no anti-MS abilities, which bit Zeon in the ass late in the war. (I think they graft some AA guns on them for this game, but later Musais did have that so it’s not too out of sorts.) In this game they’re a rather big threat to battleships with a big cannon, but not that bad altogether really.
As an aside, the game has what it calls the “Char Custom Musai” which I will screencap at some point. That’s his personal command ship, and it’s properly titled the Falmel.

Apparently the Love spirit actually fully regens all Part HP. That’s extraordinarily useful.

It can also do things like this.
Bry Cannon is pretty much this strong in the show too so no big surprise there.

If I were in a doodling mood, I’d draw big arrows pointing to the Counter ability. Don’t do something fucking dumb like rush a GM up to Norris for the kill, he might Counter kill them in return. Use proper protection when challenging bosses.
He’s not actually that hard to kill though. I had Sanders take him. That’s the problem with being in a totally unmodded Zaku 2. But Sanders had a Fortitude up, and it turned out to be an amazing idea because Counter procced.

YOINK.

When you finish the stage, which really shouldn’t take too long after you coalesce your forces, Sanders asks that we go find the pilot of the Ball, so as not to be That Guy to his savior. A fair sentiment.

We got one new unit today! We’ll be getting another next stage, and then for the most part there won’t be many new units we can capture for a bit.

Shiro and the Zeon soldier, a girl named Aina, meet on a wrecked ship. They work together to find a signal to get out, Shiro talks about wanting to go to Earth to find himself, Aina says he’s not what she thought Federation soldiers were like, he says the same thing about Zeonic soldiers, blah blah blah romantic setup. Aina offers to take him with her to Zeon as her boytoy but he refuses, and Norris shows up to pick her up. He also gets a swanky new watch from her. Sanders then shows up to pick him up.

Shiro is taking a nap after his heavy combat, and Michael introduces himself to Sanders. Apparently they’re a part of the same squadron, the 08th MS Squad, and for now they’re being stationed on the White Base. They have two other members, but those two are on Earth. Also Shiro is their leader. Sanders notes that this may not be the tactical suicide it should rightfully be, as Shiro is capable of using a regular Ball to defeat a supped up Zaku, and saved Sanders’s life. He also notes that Shiro might break his usual curse, and that this squad might actually live. (meanwhile ora ora Shinigami sama no otori da)

Kaine asks Bright if Shiro is in fact going to be their commander, and Amuro asks if he’s going to take over the Gundam. Bright says he’ll ask Shiro about that. (Player’s note: NOT BLOODY LIKELY.) Issac comes in and notes that they were tracking Zeonic movement, but they’ll be with the ship again for the foreseeable future - and they brought their manager, Poncho Poncho, with them this time. Which means we’ll soon be out of our hard earned cash given his usual money-grubbing. Kaine voices the same thing I would normally say, that with J9 here things are interesting again, but unfortunately the anti-fun brigade shuts him down and sends him to go prepare the Dragonars - we might well get into a fight very soon.
Bright grumbles about the fact that this ship shouldn’t be a school, but Isaac notes that most of the pilots on the ship were in school not that long ago, and Kid says that we’re not a bad crew, all things considered. Bowie asks if he’s taking on a protégé, and Kid laughs and says he’s not that old yet. Possible foreshadowing? I dunno. Back with the pilots, Akemi notes that we’re going to be entering atmosphere soon, and as Amuro points out, Char is going to likely take advantage of this. And with new pilots like on our ship... but Watta believes there won’t be any problems. When Akemi notes that he’s being rather cheerful, Watta says that the Red Comet can come if he likes - but unlike his Zaku, Trider G7 works just as well in atmosphere as it does in space! (Also it can likely survive unassisted reentry, given that both other Invincibles can easily. So really all Watta has to do is take his mech, which is three times BIGGER than Char’s, and hold on tightly to win.)

NEXT TIME: For a new player, probably the most important Sub Scenario in the game. For me, a pretty important one.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler