[POTENTIAL SPOILERS] Gen VIII speculation hub

Pillowcase
Unova League Champion
Unova League Champion

May 16th, 2018, 3:08 pm #1

(we ain't know a thing yet bud) but currently, there's a lot of buzz on the internet about the next iteration of Pokémon games. So, in order to control the discussion better, we've decided to start the speculation thread early - in order to curb any potential spoilers before they start popping up everywhere else.

The (unconfirmed) leaks basically amount to this: http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/3884 ... evee-focus

There have also been very unfounded rumours that the games on the Switch will be Kanto remakes. However, nothing so far has been even close to confirmed, so keep in mind that anything you hear should be taken with a grain of salt. Or possibly a spoonful of garlic. There probably won't be any official information either way until June 12th-14th - that's when E3 runs, and Nintendo usually has some announcements to make around that time.

So keep in mind - all discussion of these rumours should go here, even though there's very little to discuss so far. Discussion in other topics, as well as on Discord, will be redirected here - and once we have official information, we will be creating spoiler channels on Discord.

For now, though, this is what we have. What do you think about the leaks? Would you want a game like that, or would you want something completely different? If so, what? And what kinds of Pokémon do you think we'll see?
SPECK
(updated 26.08.18)

~ you're all invited to the official nuzlocke writing chat ~
~ adrian ramos drew all my avatars, but not on purpose ~

"It wath anger from the patht" - Today at 4:44 PM
PI L LW OW
clock (32-bit) - Today at 4:44 PM
PILLOW
Aozora - Today at 6:22 PM
PILLOW

Jenza1202
Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Conqueror of the Azalea Gym

May 16th, 2018, 4:18 pm #2

Personally, I'd like to see a new version -re-makes of Pearl and Diamond - either released on the 3DS (cannot justify buying a Switch at the moment) or with something similar to the first Mystery Dungeon games - one version on the 3DS and one on the Switch. Yes the 3DS is getting out-dated, but Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were pretty good in the graphical department, and using the same engine I reckon they could come up with a decent enough remake.

I'd like to see regional forms make a reappearance - Pokémon from warmer climates adapting to a colder one - thicker coats, different typing etc. This time keep character customization, use the Underground as the 'Festival Plaza' feature - but also bring back the PSS for the sake of streamlining.

I just think it'd fit - since we've explored the concept of Ultra wormholes and different dimensions - and that is, pretty much, what the Distortion World is - another dimension. Plus the concept of time and space also fits into the idea of different dimensions, were different events have taken place - making them different. It really does seem the logical step.
Just brought myself a second hand 3DS so I can trade Mega Stones between my X and Y games.
Second Friend code: 3153-5909-0647 (named Nesbitt)
Safari Type: Steel - confirmed Pok?mon - Magneton and Metang.
If you want to add me, send me a PM with your friend code and I'll add yours ASAP.

Kigiru
Indigo League Champion
Indigo League Champion

May 16th, 2018, 4:39 pm #3

I said it before, but the whole "Lets Go! Pikachu/Eevee" is in my opinion a spin off game, and thus is pretty irrelevant to gen VIII discussion.

And from what we know ACTUALY about gen VIII... well, not too much. We know that it will ge on Switch (tho honestly, i would not be surprised if Nintendo would step back from this.) and considering that REAL advertisement did not started yet, it's kinda obvious that the game will be released in 2019. And then in 2020 Sinnoh remakes, maybe.

In other words... there's nothing to discuss for now.
[+] Spoiler
Black Nuzlocke:

Benji Primo Your Waifu
Lily Plugin Fungus
Hope.

eworm
Conqueror of the Sootopolis Gym

May 16th, 2018, 4:50 pm #4

Remake of Yellow could be awesome... Except if Eevee and Pikachu are the mascots (starters?), obviously both of these Pokémon would end up unevolvable yet again - which is the stupidest thing any Pokémon game has ever done. Yes, even stupider than that one thing you despise Pokémon games have done.

I'd be up for new Kanto games though. It would be awesome to see brand new Pokémon in Kanto OR to see a new generation that introduces no new Pokémon and instead aims to use the current set in new ways. Whatever they do with this, it'll be interesting. Still, a changed region with a new story etc would be better than a straight remake.

Then again, I will remain doubtful about this. A generation starting with a remake is unprecedented and bizarre.

Mattelonian
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym

May 16th, 2018, 5:35 pm #5

Yeah no these sound 100% like side games. There's no way they'd name a main series game Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee! For just the starters it's not a single word.

Maybe now we're all the scrubs who use the standard background?

YunUroko
Conqueror of the Violet Gym

May 16th, 2018, 5:47 pm #6

Yeah, but we did get Heart Gold, Soul Silver, FireRed, LeafGreen, ORAS, USUM...

Anyway, I'm gonna repeat what I already said, but I'm kinda tired of those leaks. I mean, the games haven't even been announced yet. It's like the "leaks" for the so-called "starters" we got a few months ago... Can't people just enjoy a surprise anymore ?

Last update : 10/07/2018

Want to have some fun time ? Operation S.P.I.N.A.C.H. is for you !

My deviantArt

Kesha
Conqueror of the Hearthome Gym

May 16th, 2018, 6:30 pm #7

YunUroko wrote:Anyway, I'm gonna repeat what I already said, but I'm kinda tired of those leaks. I mean, the games haven't even been announced yet. It's like the "leaks" for the so-called "starters" we got a few months ago... Can't people just enjoy a surprise anymore ?
I get what you mean, but that's not gonna stop journalists/die-hard fans from digging into shit and spreading their newfound information with their peers. I know it can be hard to avoid leaks/spoilers, but it's what the vast majority of the Pokemon fanbase wants, and with a fanbase as passionate as Pokemon's, the littlest things will spread everywhere in a matter of moments. Surprises can be fun, but they're not for everyone.
Flandre wrote:God all this whining, since when did the tumblr "pls dont triggr me" brigade join the forums.

Chill.
Read this run.

eworm

May 16th, 2018, 6:34 pm #8

Hey, this rumor was actually mentioned briefly on Serebii, okay, that means it's okay to talk about in my book, even if it does end up being a load of bull.

And also there's the I-told-you-so element to a new Kanto game that just tickles my douchebag bone, I dunno.

YunUroko

May 16th, 2018, 6:42 pm #9

Don't get me wrong, I get why people are doing this (for the buzz, for the sake of speculation, etc), and I also enjoy speculating. But... Sometimes, those "leaks" do not serve the games at all. Case in point, the rumours about Pokémon Star. I know for a fact that they truly undermined the reveal of SM back in 2016, and TPCi was really pissed about that.

Last update : 10/07/2018

Want to have some fun time ? Operation S.P.I.N.A.C.H. is for you !

My deviantArt

Kesha

May 16th, 2018, 7:16 pm #10

YunUroko wrote:But... Sometimes, those "leaks" do not serve the games at all. Case in point, the rumours about Pokémon Star.
What do you mean? Pokemon isn't the only series that has leaks, nor is it the only one that has fake leaks. People make fake leaks because it gets them attention, and they enjoy manipulating people. It's human nature.
Flandre wrote:God all this whining, since when did the tumblr "pls dont triggr me" brigade join the forums.

Chill.
Read this run.

eworm

May 16th, 2018, 8:08 pm #11

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Pokémon: Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee were two special anime episodes or "Pikachu Vacation"-style mini-movies instead of anything games-related. It sounds so much more fitting.

Also, I really don't like the "Stars rumors killed USUM" narrative. I've heard the rumors too and I enjoy USUM a lot. The games' quality depends on the games, period, and I don't think people who can't separate their expectations from the product would have enjoyed the games anyway, rumors or not.
There's also the fact that USUM did very well, so the "killing" thing doesn't even make sense in the first place.

Kigiru
Indigo League Champion
Indigo League Champion

May 16th, 2018, 8:56 pm #12

I don't think that these two titles are copyrighted for anime episodes. From what we know, Pokemon Company registered a web domain for these titles and registering entire website just for 2 special episodes is... weird.

Personaly i believe that it will be some smartfon clock/mascot things with Pikachu and Eevee. This kind of stuff is somewhat popular lately so i can see Nintendo wanting to join into it. They already have bunch of cute mascots, so why not? And later down the line we will get other Pokemon like starters if Pikachu and Eevee will be successful enough.
[+] Spoiler
Black Nuzlocke:

Benji Primo Your Waifu
Lily Plugin Fungus
Hope.

Machop69

May 17th, 2018, 1:36 am #13

As what most of the posts said, a new PMD would be awesome. A sequel to Conquest would be a dream come true. DPPt remake would be awesome, since Pearl was the first game I got. But better game names for Gen 8 would be better than 'Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee'. Maybe Pokemon Thundershock and Pokemon Evolution could be suitable names. Since the leaked games were from translations of Japanese, it could be different (We don't call Splash Jump, which is the translation from Japanese)
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
OVER THE RAINBOW
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum ... 1014986/1/Location: Training on Route 116 Team: Royal Blue, Cream, Rose, Azure, Soot, Caramel
[+] Spoiler
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum ... 1016557/1/
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
A Reign of Legends Team:
Harry the Torchic
Zina the Zigzagoon
Marinka the Ralts
Tyrone the Electrike
Radi the Oddish

Emperor ServingSpoon
Conqueror of the Rustboro Gym
Conqueror of the Rustboro Gym

May 17th, 2018, 1:46 am #14

If the Pikachu/Eevee rumours are true, then they're definitely not Gen VIII if you ask me. And this makes me very glad for a number of reasons! If they're to be 2018 releases, then it's WAY too soon for a new generation, anyway. And I had speculated that the Switch game may be a Kanto-related game in the past (if it wasn't going to be Gen VIII). And if the Switch game isn't a new generation, then I'm hopeful that the 3DS will get a proper follow up at some point, too (and that's where Gen VIII would happen).

I could enjoy these games. Hopefully they're set in the Kanto of the Alola time period, so we'll have 20 year old Red and Blue as characters and Kanto will be 7 or so years progressed from the last time we saw it. Hopefully this brings much greater diversity of Pokemon, either through the known locations or additions of new ones (additions of some of the more forgotten Pokemon from other regions would be appreciated, even if Glameow and Meowth have to be version exclusives for it to happen). I think we'll definitely need some substantial changes to the locations to keep them as interesting as those we've seen in recent generations. Hopefully we could have a new path through the region, too, since that would help it stand out from every other time we've played Kanto (Perhaps Misty and Brock could end up being the last two Gym Leaders instead?). And hopefully we'll be able to trade early in the games (and can do so freely with the 3DS games), so that we can have a work around if they decide to not let us evolve our Pikachu or Eevee (And they'll still follow us around the same even if they evolve). And it'd be nice if they let us go to Johto, too.

So those are my basic thoughts and hopes for these games, should the rumours be true.

Machop69

May 17th, 2018, 11:06 am #15

It would be cool if there could be 2 different elite fours, which are enemies and when you get your 6th badge, you have to join a side to fight the enemies. When you get your 8th badge, the real battle begins. A full-on war between half of the region and the other half which you chose. The legendary from the boxart game you chose helps support you, and the other legendary from the other boxart becomes the main boss. Basically, the Civil Pokemon War!
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
OVER THE RAINBOW
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum ... 1014986/1/Location: Training on Route 116 Team: Royal Blue, Cream, Rose, Azure, Soot, Caramel
[+] Spoiler
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum ... 1016557/1/
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
A Reign of Legends Team:
Harry the Torchic
Zina the Zigzagoon
Marinka the Ralts
Tyrone the Electrike
Radi the Oddish

Tix-D
Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym

May 21st, 2018, 1:42 am #16

Machop69 wrote:But better game names for Gen 8 would be better than 'Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee'. Maybe Pokemon Thundershock and Pokemon Evolution could be suitable names. Since the leaked games were from translations of Japanese, it could be different (We don't call Splash Jump, which is the translation from Japanese)
Splash's name was set in stone back in the beginning times of Gen 1, and we've come a long way since then. It was close to being called "Flop" or "Hop" too, but they weren't as interested in accuracy back then.

If it were decided today, I think there would be a different decision on how to handle its name more accurately thanks to new standards and old mistakes. Like we call the mobile app "Magikarp Jump" even though the move and Japanese term was translated as Splash at the time. This also goes for Mr. Mime, RageCandyBar, DynamicPunch, Feraligatr, and Azurill the "Polkadot" Pokemon. For various reasons they went through a slight meaning change, and if done nowadays they would probably be different.

Anyway, I think Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are alright names if the Pokemon GO functionality in the leaks is real. Pokemon Evolution could seem like a vague term and the names we're looking at now are unique enough. Also they've usually been consistent with names across languages, and there's also the fact that the corresponding domain names were also registered in English.[edit_reason]clarification[/edit_reason]
[+] Spoiler

My Nuzlocke on other forums!
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Party:

Plinko the Beautifly Level 27
Trixie the Azumarill Level 35
Wrath the Anorith Level 20
Mushroom the Swablu Level 21
Gloria the Manectric Level 29
Blue Cool the Sandshrew Level 21

Deaths:
Plurp the Wurmple Level 2-4
Applejack the Combusken level 5-27
Ziggy the Zigzagoon Level 4-12
Aaron the Zubat Level 16-21
Lame the Geodude Level 10-10

Badges obtained:
Stone Badge
Knuckle Badge
Dynamo Badge
Heat Badge

Progress: Well, I beat Winona by the time I lost this. Norman battle outcome: Trixie had 2 HP from Facade, stole Sitrus Berry successfully with Plinko
Last record of run:

eworm

May 21st, 2018, 4:55 pm #17

Everyone's focusing so much on the "Pokémon GO functionality" - am I the only one who thinks all it's supposed to mean is a touchscreen/motion throwing of a Ball instead of pressing a button? Let's not kid ourselves, they're not gonna remove "weaken before capture".

Kigiru
Indigo League Champion
Indigo League Champion

May 21st, 2018, 7:06 pm #18

I think that turning mainline Pokemon games into Pokemon Go!clones is the worst idea ever and i feel sad that any person considering themselves a fan of Pokemon can support it.

Realy, Pokemon Go! is a good idea, but horribly executed and transplanting any part of it into mainline will not be a good thing. Also any bigger connectivity with it right now would be pretty lame, considering that the bigest hype for Go! is already over. The only thing that i could see is some kind of connectivity with Pokemon Bank, but considering how Go! has completely different (and lamer) fighting and stats system i'm not sure how it will work.
[+] Spoiler
Black Nuzlocke:

Benji Primo Your Waifu
Lily Plugin Fungus
Hope.

Kesha

May 21st, 2018, 7:17 pm #19

Kigiru wrote:I think that turning mainline Pokemon games into Pokemon Go!clones is the worst idea ever and i feel sad that any person considering themselves a fan of Pokemon can support it.
Literally no one has been saying this? All we know is that the new game might have a tie-in/reference to Pokemon Go, nobody is saying that this a Pokemon Go clone.

Your argument is like saying "Super Smash Bros has Samus in it, and the Metroid Prime series was a first person shooter, therefore Super Smash Bros is a first person shooter and how dare anyone want this".

Chill.
Read this run.

Xerxos
Conqueror of the Dewford Gym
Conqueror of the Dewford Gym

May 21st, 2018, 7:28 pm #20

As an avid Pokemon Go player, I think it'd be cool to have the app work as an upgraded Pokewalker of sorts. Being able to freely transfer Pokemon between the two games would be a mistake, though, since it's way too easy to get powerful legendaries and pseudo-legendaries in Go. I'm not entirely sure how they'd go about implementing the crossover mechanics, but I trust Game Freak to refrain from doing anything that would break either game.
Project Menu
New to the forum and not sure how things work? Need a thread moved or a poll taken down? Having a rough time with your Nuzlocke run and need help? PM me!