Forum rules
Post your non-nuzlockes, Let's Plays, walkthroughs and the like here! Good luck to everyone!

Peaceful Days - a Chao Garden OA

GoGoGogoat
Conqueror of the Mauville Gym

May 8th, 2015, 10:05 pm #1

It's time for a new adventure!
[+] But first, need to clear up a few things. (updated 12/14/16)
Hold up, Gogoat's doing an OA?

Surprised, anonymous voice from nowhere? Yup, I'm doing an OA, and it's gonna be awesome!

Do you actually have time to do this alongside your screenshot runs?

Sort of, not really. When I first started this project, there was a two-month period of time when I did have that level of time. Turns out I don't have that level of time during most periods of my life.

So how often does this thing update?

I give priority to my writing projects, which is why the update schedule for this project is extremely sporadic. I also go through swings of whether I'm in the mood to play this game or not. Basically, this updates when it updates.

But I want more Chao action in my life!

Totally understandable, since Chao are awesome. In that case, I'd recommend buying the game yourself and raising your own Chao! If you enjoy this run, you'd probably enjoy the game, too. How's that sound, anonymous voice from nowhere?

I can live with that!

Excellent. Now, on with the introduction!
Okay, so Sonic Adventure 2 is a fun game, but it's also dated as hell. Although I personally enjoy all three gameplay types (Sonic/Shadow stages are still best though), the camera is clunky, the controls are kinda awkward (especially on PC, I'm playing with the freaking keyboard), and the cutscenes and voice acting are baaaaaaaaaaad. Still a fun game, but it's not the main reason we're here.

The Chao Garden was included as a side feature in both the Sonic Adventure games, but frankly it's even more fun and replayable than the main event. Chao exist in a sort of alternate dimension called the Chao World, which consists of the various Gardens. In this world you can raise multiple Chao, and the way you raise them determines their appearance, behavior and personality. Also, Chao are adorable, and hence playing with them pretty much never gets old.

So let's raise some together! I encourage viewer input on any and all aspects of raising Chao, including names, suggestions for which stats to raise, alignments, altering appearance, buying items, and so on. Since this journey could go on pretty much forever without some limit, I'm also going to set an ultimate goal of creating a Chaos Chao. I've never done it before and it's challenging, but hey, we've got all the time in the world!

Let's jump in!
[+] Table of Contents
Let's find a peaceful world (this post!)
Choose your destiny
I'll make it through, prove it to you
And they're off
Black-hearted evil, brave-hearted hero
Hundreds of robots were blown up in the raising of these Chao
Land, sea and sky
Invisible square trees
[+] Let's find a peaceful world

Upon starting up the game for the first time, the Chao Garden isn't accessible right away. You have to actually play the main game to get there. Fortunately, this is simple.

~Rolling around at the speed of sound, got places to go gotta follow my rainbow!~

Most Chao are awesome. Omochao is the exception. Omochao is an annoying little shit. No one likes him. >_>

You can pick him up and throw him at things, though, and he'll complain about it. That's pretty funny.

So this is what we're looking for. Every stage in the game has three of these Chao boxes. The first one you open in any level (regardless of spatial order) will contain a Chao Key. Upon picking the key up, you'll be warped to the Chao World once you complete the level. The second and third boxes contain animals, but I don't want those just yet. More on them in the future.

OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT--

Oh, we're here? Neat. Nice space vibe.

the city is pretty much destroyed now and no one ever acknowledges this in the game, gg military

On your first visit to the Chao World, only that one gate will appear, and nothing else. That gate leads to the Chao Garden.

Here we are! What a lovely place. Perfect for raising an army of super cute things.

The garden also comes with a few fruit trees. The fruits are super important, and later we'll also be able to plant new trees and make multiple different fruit types for a variety of purposes. Also, note the cave behind the waterfall off in the corner. That's the site of Chao Races and Karate, and we'll be spending a lot of time in that cave.

That's the Chao Transporter. Back when I had SA2B on the Gamecube, this thing was shaped like a Game Boy Advance, and had compatibility with the Sonic Advance titles. Since I'm playing this on Steam, now it just looks like a Chao, thanks copyright. Pretty much the only useful functionality this thing has now is for deleting Chao, since there's a limit on how many I can have at once. So basically it's the "heartless bastard" machine.

We're not actually going to hatch the Chao just yet, though. As it turns out, each of the six playable characters must find a Chao Key within one of their levels at least once in order to access the Chao World. So right now, only Sonic can get in. I want everyone to be able to get in before we start hatching, so at this point I exited the garden. Also, if you get warped to the Chao World right after completing a stage, you get immediately sent back to the story upon leaving the garden; you don't even get to walk back to the teleport machine thing. If you enter from the stage select screen, however, you leave via the teleporter and can move between locations freely (which is handy for when more than one gate exists in this world). For all these reasons, we need to return to the main game and get access for everyone.

WOULD YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?! I'M TRYING TO UNLOCK PARADISE HERE!

Knuckles locates a Chao Key no problem.

Omochao actually broke the box open for Tails.

No, I don't love you, Omochao. Piss off.

Now to get all the Dark folks their access. Good thing Eggman has his robot, otherwise he probably couldn't reach that key.

get it because he's fat

WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT TO KILL ME?! This is exactly why I'm staying in the Chao World. Chao never have to deal with bullshit like this. no one bring up SA1 we don't talk about that in this world

Unfortuantely, boss fights don't have Chao Boxes in them. Sucks for you, Shadow. Also, come to think of it, where did most of your body go? Clipping, man, gotta watch out for that.

There is a Chao Box immediately visible at the start of the first Rouge level. If only the Emerald shards were as easy to find.

Finally, Shadow gets his key.

Who the hell thought upside down highways was a good idea, anyway? Unless the Sonic universe has anti-gravity cars. In which case, that's awesome.

So now I can play as anyone in the Chao World. However, for a bunch of reasons that I'll get into more later, in most cases it's better to use the same character to interact with Chao. This means that in general, I want to be either one certain Hero character or one certain Dark character.

For the Hero side, then, I want to be Tails, because without his robot, he gets to fly in this world. And I mean actual flying, not the gliding that Knuckles and Rouge have. Tails can fly and hover indefinitely, which is not only fun, but handy for artistic screencapping.

By the way, Eggman also ditches his robot, but he can't fly, so meh to that. When I want to be a Dark character, I'll usually be Shadow.

So let's actually hatch those eggs now! There are three ways to hatch a Chao egg. The first is to pick it up and shake it for about ten seconds, then the Chao will hatch. The second is to leave the egg alone and let it hatch naturally.

The third and most hilarious way is to throw the egg at the walls until it breaks open.

I AM A HORRIBLE PERSON.

We did it!

=D

Actually, believe it or not, hatching the egg by throwing it at stuff doesn't have a negative impact on the Chao. It looks upset right now, of course, but there's no lasting damage.

No, seriously.

Newborn Chao are literally newborns. They are not born knowing how to walk, so they crawl around on their stomachs everywhere. D'awwww.

Look, it's happy! Chao are basically cats when it comes to getting a scratch on the head.

The thing above a Chao's head is called the "emotiball." At rest it just looks like a floating dot, but it changes according to the Chao's emotions. Since Tails just pet it, it's happy. When Tails suddenly and forcefully brought it into the world by slamming it against a cliff, it had the tornado swirl, indicating it's confused or upset. The emotiball also becomes a question mark if the Chao is curious, and an exclamation mark if excited or surprised.

Now, about that other egg. We'll let that one hatch naturally, just because.

Don't mind me, just hanging around.

There we go OH LORD THE TEETH!!

Chao can have a variety of faces, too. The face it gets is entirely random, can't be controlled or changed, and doesn't depend on method of hatching, either. So we have evil grin face now to accompany smahsed against a cliff guy. We'll surely see more face types down the road.

Still, it feels like the new guys are missing something... names! We'll end things off here, and feel free to suggest names for the first pair of Chao we get to raise! Next time, now that we have unrestricted access to the Chao World, we'll start exploring in more depth all the things we can do here.

And last but not least, we truly end the part by staring at Tails' butt. Because why not?

Last update - (5/31) Interlude #06: Rust // Q+A open!

[+] Spoiler
Jamie
Nora
Beryl
Ridley
Sonata
Emil

Not dead, I promise...

Last update - (1/22) | A compendium of my past and present projects. Check it out!

"So long as you always maintain a sense of exploration, you will someday find the way out. This is my hope."

Dray
Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym

May 8th, 2015, 10:14 pm #2

Ah, sweet! The Chao Garden! I've never actually played SA2 (Or One. Or any Sonic game), but I've heard nothing but good things about the Chao Garden. Perhaps you could, ah, give us a better look at the Chao, though? I can barely see 'em, and I certainly can't see the slasher smile you described. What in-game benefits do Chao bestow?

And as for names... Cream and Cheese are overdone. Romeo and Juliet should really be saved for a red/blue pair, assuming such a thing exists. So my final name suggestion is... (drumroll)

Pata & Pon.

HappyMaleMarf
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym

May 8th, 2015, 10:19 pm #3

The chao garden was always the best part of Sonic Adventure 2. ALWAYS!

time to lurk this forever

Chess
Conqueror of the Rustboro Gym
Conqueror of the Rustboro Gym

May 8th, 2015, 10:24 pm #4

Toothy needs to be a hero chao. That's about it.

[+] Spoiler

"Don't be afraid to be a fool. Remember, you cannot be both young and wise. Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying yes begins things. Saying yes is how things grow. Saying yes leads to knowledge. "Yes" is for young people. So for as long as you have the strength to, say yes."
- Stephen Colbert, Knox College Commencement Address, 2006
[+] Spoiler
A generic runthrough of Vietnamese Crystal Randomized Fire Emblem

Master Bryss

May 8th, 2015, 11:11 pm #5

I find it deeply amusing that you managed to REVERSE the 'Rouge Angles of Satin' situation. I'll throw in Biggs and Wedge as name suggestions.

EDIT: Apparently, my brain now autocorrects the word Rouge to Rogue in every conceivable circumstance.
Current Main Projects (France v Spain has two links, woo):
Dark Violet's back

Not read any of my stuff? Read this first!
[+] Spoiler

Space is tight around here. The Index contains links to every run I have done to date. Enjoy! Also, if you're looking for an off-beat take on Gen II, try my in-progress hack, Spanish Gold!
Bryssdile line art: EscapeToTheSea
Banner design: Shiny Dustox

Mattman324
Conqueror of the Oreburgh Gym

May 8th, 2015, 11:24 pm #6

Robotnik is great for the Chao Garden if you're watching his animation and listening, he jackhammers Chao to cuddle them and he looks extremely fucking silly running around (and his dialogue is hilariously hammy short words). Actual gameplay, eh. But with that said, MAKE SURE to at least play the game until you get the dig parts for Rouge or Knuckles, there are things you can find digging in the Chao Garden (like everyone's favorite type of hat)

I'm seconding Biggs and Wedge by the way.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
29 Perfect nuzlockes. 142 caught in one of them. SAIKYOU NO NUZLOCKER

My most recent one? An event run!

X-Naut
Conqueror of the Petalburg Gym
Conqueror of the Petalburg Gym

May 9th, 2015, 12:41 am #7

Algae wrote:Toothy needs to be a hero chao. That's about it.
Seconding this.

Name the smiley one Fang and the other one Mighty.
[+] Spoiler
Retired Coach of the New Jersey Dwebbles. Record: Runner-Up (Season 2), Champion (Season 3), Runner-Up (Season 4), Semi-Finalist (Season 6)
Avatar is from ghast's "This is what happens in Fire Emblem ____" series.

WPS
Conqueror of the Viridian Gym

May 9th, 2015, 4:59 pm #8

First two chao should always be a Hero and Dark, so you unlock the other two gardens as fast as possible. Seconding Toothy as the Hero.

I usually get chaos drives from Tails and Eggman's first levels, animals are faster but I prefer to have my chao with only specific animal parts.

Even if you do raise one with hero and one with dark, make sure not to neglect them with the opposite alignment, or they'll resent the characters and possibly each other. Alternatively, leave one in school when raising the other.

Also go and find their stat ranks before we decide how to raise them!

Blessings be upon this run.

My first run of a game - Now in progress!
My Tumblr

If you have any female Fossil Pok?mon still sitting in your 5th gen Entree Forest, let me know! I'm looking for fossil pokemon that I can breed in certain pok?balls.

GoGoGogoat

May 9th, 2015, 8:23 pm #10

[+] Replies
Dray: I'll work on getting better screenshots in the future. I'm sort of fighting the controls to get good pictures, actually. I have to rotate the camera with the Q and E keys, which is really annoying. But aside from that, I also have to make sure I don't accidentally abuse the Chao, which is unambiguously bad in every way. The button for jumping and the button for all actions are next to each other (J and K, respectively), but I frequently hit J instead of K by mistake, and risk jumping on the Chao and knocking it away. So I have to train myself to be as careful, yet still informative, as possible. Bear with me!

Actual Marth: Totally agreed, and thanks for watching!

Algae: So you wish it, and so it shall be.

Master Bryss: Nah, I kinda cheated. After you pointed my spelling errors out, I went back and fixed them, and I prefer to un-check the "show you edited this post" box so it looks like I never made mistakes. I promise you're not insane. =P

Mattman324: --That's more why I dislike being Eggman in the Chao World, he just looks wrong to me. But that's just me.
--I'm probably going to play through the full game, mostly off-screen. Not only do the power-ups help me get hidden things, but the more emblems I have, the more and better stuff I can buy. And I want all the stuff, of course.

X-Naut: One big-toothed Hero, coming up!

WPS: The plan exactly. Once I have the Hero and Dark Gardens, I plan to organize the Chao by their (planned) alignments, in their respective Gardens. And I know to grind Chaos Drives in the early Tails/Eggman levels, so that's taken care of. And I didn't forget the stats!

OblivionRayquayza: Thanks for watching!
[+] Choose your destiny

And we're back! For an enhanced Chao Garden experience, turn on the theme music while you're here! Last time I asked for name suggestions for our two newborns, and I'd say it's about time we officially named them. It's also the perfect chance to explore a very important location in the Chao World. We'll start with toothy face, so let's go pick--

TOOTHY FACE PLS.

Chao aren't born knowing how to swim, either, so if they wind up in the water, they'll thrash about and cry endlessly until you rescue them. For some reason, however, that doesn't stop them from making a beeline for the water every chance they get. I don't know why. But I'm gonna wind up fishing these idiots out of the water a lot until they learn.

At least one of us is happy. Anyway, you're comnig with me, big guy!

It's time to go to school!

The gate to the Chao Kindergarten appears starting the second time you enter the Chao World. You can take one Chao at a time out of the Garden, and you have the option of bringing it here for a slew of activities.

I like all the Chao head shaped bushes. Nice touch.

Here's the music for this area, by the way! Listen along if you like!

Here we are in the main hallway of the Kindergarten. And per Dray's request, a better shot of toothy face's giant teeth. Normally I make these guys into Dark Chao, but the crowd wants him to be a Hero, and I will oblige! But we have to take care of some paperwork first.

On the far right from the entrance is the Fortune Teller. We can name our Chao here. Since we have a majority from the comments, I know exactly what they'll be.

Ripoff artist.

Still, names!

Before you can name the Chao yourself, the Fortune Teller always tries to give it a random name from a perset list of options. We have names of our own picked out, but we might as well see what the game gives us.

Suspense! Gotta give her credit for making the simple name ceremony such an event. Wonder what she'll come up with?

GET THAT SHIT OUT OF HERE.

WE ARE NOT BRINGING THAT PIECE OF UTTER TRIPE INTO ANOTHER GAME FRANCHISE ENTIRELY, MUCH LESS THE CHAO WORLD. THE CHAO ARE PEACEFUL CREATURES AND THEY DO NOT DESERVE SUCH FUCKERY IN THEIR LIVES.

*ahem*

Sorry, lost it for a moment there.

What do you think? >_>

If you say yes here, she'll give you another random name. You actually have to tell her no, then she gives you the option to pick your own name. A bit counter-intuitive, but whatever.

Toothy face is now officially Wedge! Cheers, Bryss!

Seven character limit on names, by the way, for the future. And yes, there will definitely be more Chao after the first two.

Thanks, glad you think so!

Never try to name my Chao ever again.

Moving around the main hallway counter-clockwise, the next door is the Health Center. "See the doctor" is important if your Chao gets sick, which can happen. The doc will then give you medicine to make the Chao better. Wedge is fine right now, though.

The medical chart will tell you about the Chao's stats. This is important, because it will likely guide the way we raise Wedge. Let's take a look!

Not too bad!

This is a good time to explain stats. They have four components: grade, level, points and bar. Newborn Chao get a random grade assigned to each stat, S as the highest and E as the lowest. You increase stats by giving the Chao animals or Chaos Drives (the multi-colored nuclear rod looking things that have been floating around the Garden but that I haven't pointed out yet). Upon receiving enough of these in a certain stat, the Chao levels up and gains points; the grade determines how many points a Chao gets in a certain stat upon leveling up. Level itself does nothing except cap at 99; it's the points that determine how good a Chao is at something. So Wedge is fairly well-rounded, but will be best at the Run stat. The bar also does nothing; it's just an indicator, like the EXP bar in Pokemon.

Each stat is largely self-explanatory. Swim indicates swimming abilitiy, Fly for flying, Run for running, Power for climbing and strength, and Stamina for stamina. These stats cap at 3,266 points. There are also two "hidden" stats: Luck and Intelligence, which cap at 4,000 points. Once we get into Chao Races, all of these stats become important, some more than others depending on the race. In general, Run and Stamina are useful in all races, so it's most handy to have good grades in those. Outside of races, Swim and Run also dictate when a Chao learns to swim and walk, respectively, so it's useful for any Chao to have a little experience in those stats.

Grades remain mostly permanent, with one exception. When a Chao evolves for the first time, it gains an ability type corresponding to one of the five visible stats (the "Neutral" evolution matches with Stamina). The Chao will improve the grade of its ability type by one rank upon evolving. So if Wedge becomes a Run Chao, for example, he'll increase his Run grade to A. For right now, I'm probably going to do that, unless someone suggests otherwise. I'll explain in greater detail how evoltuion works once that actually happens, but we're a while off from that.

Next is the Principal's Office. He'll give you basic Chao raising tips. But I'm smarter than he is, so we'll never visit this guy again.

Nice!

The Classroom can teach your Chao various lessons. The lesson being taught will change every now and then (some diggigng around says 30 minutes real time that you're in the Chao World). There are 16 different lessons offered, but a Chao doesn't master a certain skill in one class. A Chao can receive the same lesson up to four times, and it gets better every time at the skill. It's possible to send the Chao to the same lesson multiple times in a row as long as the same one is active, if you want! Once a Chao learns new skills, they will perform them occasionally back in the Garden.

Lessons offered include eight different isntruments, five different dances, exercise, singing and drawing. Currently, drawing is being offered, which is one of the cooler skills. A Chao that can draw will occasionally make pictures in the Garden. With more lessons, it learns more kinds of pictures. Eventually it can learn to draw its favorite character (so for Wedge, probably Tails). In addition, if a Chao starts doing a skill, other Chao can join in on the fun or watch it go, if you place them nearby.

I decided to let Wedge learn to draw. You can leave up to four Chao in the Classroom, but can't retrieve them until they finish their lesson (about 10 minutes real time).

Last but not least, the Black Market! Here you can buy items to bring back to the Gardens. The currency is rings, which you accumulate by playing the main game. When you finish a stage, the rings you're holding at the finish are added to your total. So that's an incentive for me to play the main game more, which I'll be doing off-screen for the most part.

Here's what they have now. Eggs contain new Chao, in the same color as the egg. For now, let's stick with our first two. All kinds of fruit raise Stamina, but each Chao prefers a certain kind of fruit, and giving the Chao its favorite makes it happier (and they'll ignore fruit types they dislike). Also, Hero and Dark fruit will shift a Chao's alignment towards Hero or Dark, respectively, upon eating.

Since I haven't explcitly gone over alignment yet, let me do that. It functions on a slider bar. When you raise a Chao with a Hero character, they slowly lean towards the Hero side. Same goes for Dark characters. If you raise Chao equally with Hero and Dark, they will stay Neutral. The first evoltuion, once it happens, locks a Chao into its alignment (along with an ability type). Also, upon gaining a Hero/Dark Chao, the Hero/Dark Gardens unlock. That's right, there are three Gardens! So I plan to make Wedge a Hero Chao and Biggs a Dark Chao, so I can unlock the other Gardens as soon as possible.

Back to the market, seeds can be planted to grow trees of a particular fruit type. They're more cost effective than individual fruit, but we can't actually plant trees yet, so we'll have to stick with fruit for now.

We're out of things to do with Wedge for the moment. Since only Biggs remains in the Garden, and we want him to be a Dark Chao, let's swap for a Dark charcter.

Who wants a scratch on the head? I'll bet you do, yes you do!

</affection>

implying I don't always talk like that while playing in here

Also, let's actually name Biggs officially, since we haven't done that yet. And before the Fortune Teller tries to name him Snakewood or something.

Hmm. Biggs is an excellent runner, but his Stamina sucks, so I'm probably gonna have to compensate for that somehow. Also, I already want Wedge to be a Run Chao. Maybe Biggs should be a Power Chao. I'm open to other suggestions, as well.

This page tells can also tell you what type of fruit your Chao likes. I forgot to get this page for Wedge, I'll do that next time.

The third page details Race and Karate stats, but we don't have any of those yet.

I walked into the Black Market again and they had a Dark fruit, so I decided to buy it, since I want Biggs to go Dark. I interacted with him a little as Tails, so this is a sort of counter-measure.

Really, Biggs? Not you too...

Welcome to the Dark side, Biggs.

We have cookies.

I happened to have a bunch of green Chaos Drives lying around, so I gave all of them to Biggs. Green raises the Run stat, red raises Power, purple raises Fly and yellow raises Swim. Again, all fruits raise Stamina. Also, every drive increases the hidden Luck and Intelligence stats.

DAMN IT BIGGS.

I can only do so much for Biggs' low Stamina, but I'm certainly going to do it.

Also, notice his body color changing after he ate the Dark fruit.

Meanwhile, Wedge finished his Drawing lesson, so I brought him back to the Garden.

By the time I got back, Biggs was almost entirely black-colored. That was fast! He's far more Dark than Wedge is Hero, at the moment. We should do something about that.

Which means back to Tails--WEDGE ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

The game likes to spawn the Chao on those cliffs next to the cave. The Chao happily leap down into the lake and immediately start drowning. Every time.

They're kinda stupid.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

I also took Biggs back to the Kindergarten and dropped him off in the Classroom so he could also learn to draw, because trust me, that skill is cool.

I think that's good for now. I need to play the main game more so I can get more rings, emblems and Chaos Drives. Our current goal is to get Biggs and Wedge to evolve, so that we can access all the Gardens. After being nice to them with Shadow and Tails, respectively, we just have to wait. But we'll get there!

If you need me, I'll be either saving the world or destroying it. Depends on my mood.

Last update - (5/31) Interlude #06: Rust // Q+A open!

[+] Spoiler
Jamie
Nora
Beryl
Ridley
Sonata
Emil

Not dead, I promise...

Last update - (1/22) | A compendium of my past and present projects. Check it out!

"So long as you always maintain a sense of exploration, you will someday find the way out. This is my hope."

Master Bryss

May 9th, 2015, 11:00 pm #11

And so, Biggs and Wedge begin to undertake a series of life changes that will alter the landscape of their friendship forever... or something.

I wish I could be playing a good pet sim where stats actually have some merit...

Give 'Quartz' an animal to play with that will cause him to develop a red nose.
Current Main Projects (France v Spain has two links, woo):
Dark Violet's back

Not read any of my stuff? Read this first!
[+] Spoiler

Space is tight around here. The Index contains links to every run I have done to date. Enjoy! Also, if you're looking for an off-beat take on Gen II, try my in-progress hack, Spanish Gold!
Bryssdile line art: EscapeToTheSea
Banner design: Shiny Dustox

Mattman324

May 9th, 2015, 11:12 pm #12

GoGoGogoat wrote:If you need me, I'll be either saving the world or destroying it. Depends on my mood.
If you had the power to be a god or a devil, what would you do?

Anyway, a B is typically good enough to get through all the normal races with time and effort put into the Chao, so Wedge should take Running and Biggs should take Power.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Dray

May 10th, 2015, 12:23 am #13

This isn't specifically relevant to the Chao Garden, per se, but isn't Team Dark Shadow, Rouge, and E-123 Omega? What's Eggman doing there? Has Omega not been built yet, or was he destroyed, or are the teams not actually teams in this game? All of my Sonic knowledge comes from Heroes and poorly-made sprite comics.

Mattman324

May 10th, 2015, 12:44 am #14

Dray wrote:This isn't specifically relevant to the Chao Garden, per se, but isn't Team Dark Shadow, Rouge, and E-123 Omega? What's Eggman doing there? Has Omega not been built yet, or was he destroyed, or are the teams not actually teams in this game? All of my Sonic knowledge comes from Heroes and poorly-made sprite comics.
Heroes was the game after Adventure 2. It was the game that introduced Shadow and Rouge to the franchise as well.

It'd be better for you to go look up the plot of the game elsewhere.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Vernatio
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym

May 10th, 2015, 6:43 am #15

Oh man, the Chao Garden. My first game for the GBA was Sonic Advance, and I played the hell out of it, enjoying the chao garden and having absolutely no idea that there was anything more to it. Later I got this for the gamecube, and had my mind blown. Though, looking back, City Escape and the Chao Garden were really fun (and still are), but I really don't like the rest of the game.

Also, once you get done feeding animals and nuclear waste to those toddlers, you should set Biggs to the fighting circuit, and Wedge to the underground baby races.

Joking aside, great OA, I'm tuned in :)
[+] Spoiler
My dumb ORAS Communitylocke thing. It's my first attempt at a serious, documented Nuzlocke Hahaha, like I thought I was going to be able to stick with that to the end.
[+] Spoiler
A successful playthough of Y where my starter and first few mons died at the E4 (It was my first time playing Y, too!), and countless failed runs from pretty much every other game.
[+] Spoiler
My first successful logged run, and first communitylocke, the one I did for the 2014 Autumn Communitylocke: <RUN NAME>

WPS

May 10th, 2015, 11:30 am #16

Hero Run and Dark Power, huh...

Both those types of chao have pretty cool looking arms, but no patterns on their feet and unimpressive wings, so I think you should give them both bird parts. Maybe Peacock for Wedge and Parrot for Biggs?

Also, try to raise all their stats at least a little, at least until they both have 50 points in run and 100 points in swim (enough to walk and not drown, respectively). I don't think staying in the pool actually has any negative effect, but the drowning noise is so annoying. I find a haul of 2 chaos drives of each type + 2 more for the intended stat works well.

As for future chao, you definitely need to try and get some twotones going on. Sadly the PC port of SA2 doesn't have as many cool breeds, since Jewel Chao are unobtainable, Shiny Two-Tones are overly bright and thus you lose the patterns unless they're dark aligned, and Shiny Jewel chao are both unobtainable and no longer as cool.

My first run of a game - Now in progress!
My Tumblr

If you have any female Fossil Pok?mon still sitting in your 5th gen Entree Forest, let me know! I'm looking for fossil pokemon that I can breed in certain pok?balls.

Mattman324

May 10th, 2015, 5:21 pm #17

WPS wrote:Both those types of chao have pretty cool looking arms, but no patterns on their feet and unimpressive wings, so I think you should give them both bird parts. Maybe Peacock for Wedge and Parrot for Biggs?
Every Dark Chao must have no legs because of Bats, every Hero must have Phoenix wings.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

SoundsLikeATornado
Indigo League Champion
Indigo League Champion

May 11th, 2015, 4:29 am #18

Just remember to also throw in the skeleton dog-things so they can wear hats as well.

(also, I really hope you get to raise a normal/swim chao at some point, they are hilarious. :scallop: )

Mattman324

May 11th, 2015, 5:44 am #19

SoundsLikeATornado wrote:Just remember to also throw in the skeleton dog-things so they can wear hats as well.

(also, I really hope you get to raise a normal/swim chao at some point, they are hilarious. :scallop: )
I am reasonably certain Skeleton Dogs are not required to make Chao able to wear hats, because I've raised entirely Hero Chao having never used the things. (they're rare anyway, since most of them are really well hidden and only on specific stages, the only one of the three Dark animals I find with any regularity seems to be Bats)

But since we're on the subject of hats, I noticed you were keeping the eggshells around.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Miki-chan13
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

May 11th, 2015, 4:18 pm #20

Ah, the Chao Gardens! I've only played in the Chao Gardens in the first Sonic Adventure game but they're so much fun! My most prominent Chao has always been Aiden whose best stat is flying from the blue jays, parrots and peacocks I give to him <3

I really like what you're doing here and I'm glad I started reading this :)
[/spoiler]