Forum rules
Post your nuzlocke here! This is the section for written story runs. If your run is not a story so much as a direct recounting of events, you want the Screenshot and Written Log section [url=http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/forum/3017482/]here. [/url] If your story does not follow the core Nuzlocke rules, it goes in [url=http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/forum/3033771/]Other Adventures. [/url]

Good luck and happy nuzlocking!

Leather & Lace — A Moon Storylocke

Washi
Conqueror of the Violet Gym

August 27th, 2017, 2:52 am #1

All Sherri Frasier wanted was a relaxing vacation with her girlfriend. Alola has other plans.
special thanks to Gilda for the awesome banner!!
Hi, I'm back! It took me a while to figure out which run I wanted to see through to completion, but I'm pretty confident in this one. This run picks up from (and therefore spoils) my previous storylocke, Wonderwall. You DO NOT have to read that story to enjoy this one, but you can certainly do so for maximum feels.

Please note that this run will feature some mild cursing and PG-13 physical intimacy. Please also note that you can view this run on Archive of our Own!
[+] Rules
1. If a Pokemon faints, it can no longer be used in battle.
2. Only the first Pokemon on a route can be captured.
—2a. Route One is divided into three areas: to the north of the player's house, to the south by Kukui's house, and the Trainer's School.
—2b. SOS Pokemon can not be substituted for the first encounter.
—2c. Dupes clause is on.
3. All Pokemon must be nicknamed at the earliest opportunity.
4. No Legendaries spoilers!! may be used.
5. Pokemon may receive one full cycle of Pokemon Refresh (petting until no hearts are seen, one Poke Bean) for participation in each significant boss battle, defined as trainers with unique models and Island Trials.
—5a. If a Pokemon survives a hit that was meant to KO due to Refresh buffs, it may stay on the team BUT cannot be used in the next battle. This rule can only be activated once.
6. The run will end when no Pokemon are able to fight, Casey dies or even more spoilers!!
[+] Prologue
The train pulls into the Viridian station without fanfare or even a crowd waiting for its passengers. Only a long, high whistle announces their arrival, and it echoes through the drowsy city. Eight in the morning feels early in late November, when the sun is just starting to peek over the eastern horizon; today's fog is only more reason for the residents to snuggle deeper into their beds.

Three people step off onto the platform in varying states of waking. One skips onto the platform with a sunny smile, already pawing at her belt to release an equally cheery Cubone; the second shuffles away with small, sluggish steps, his hands clutching onto a crumpled paper map of the city he'd swiped in the Saffron station.

The third wishes she had listened to her girlfriend and worn her flats instead of her red Meowth heels, or brought a different bag. The stone is slick and she nearly falls face-first onto the platform, but catches herself on the railing. The heavy black backpack sways on her shoulders, skewing her center of gravity. If anyone asks—

"No one told you about Viridian winters, eh?" the attendant asks her, his smile large underneath his larger mustache. "Sure you'll be alright?"

"Thank you," she says, and readjusts her backpack. She would have been fine if she wasn't carrying this huge thing around, but it's important, and she's too proud to say anything other than, “But I think I'll manage.”

He chuckles, mutters something under his breath that sounds suspiciously like "tourists," and waves her away from the train. "Next stop: Indigo Plateau!" he calls in a booming voice; it gets swallowed up by groaning wheels and the high whistle of the engine. It's a decent distraction from the weight on her back; she doesn't remember it being this heavy in Saffron. Then again, maybe she just isn't used to carrying things like this, period. Which she isn't. But she'll learn.

The station spits her out and Viridian swallows her up, quiet in the hazy morning light. She's used to seeing the city on TV as the hub of celebration for Pokemon League festivities—tickets to the stadiums and hotels in the Indigo Plateau are expensive, so many people flock to the Gateway City for the second best thing. But now, with the ceremonies concluded and a new victor crowned, the city has returned to its normal sleepy state. There are still flyers wrapped around telephone poles and street lamps, advertising Poke Mart specials and promoting local favorites to win. This year's winner, a rough-and-tumble blonde who had swept Bruno with a particularly fierce Gyarados, features prominently in them; she's surprised they haven't been stripped clean yet, to be saved and sold as collector's items.

Sherri isn't nearly as interested in these as she is the signposts pointing the way to the Viridian Gym. Someone has salted the streets, so she doesn't fall over again; even if she had, there wouldn't be many people around to see her. It's a nice change from the hustle-and-bustle of Saffron, a city where she could hardly glance over at a window display without tripping over something. Normally she would let her feet guide her down the gently-sloping streets, maybe even take a picture of herself against the gate leading to Route 22—but she's a girl on a mission today, and so she keeps to the path, stopping only once to grab an extra-strong coffee from a sly-eyed barista.

By this point snow has begun to fall, melting before it even hits the ground. Sherri closes her eyes and sticks her tongue out, hoping for a big fat flake to fall on her tongue. There's silence for one beautiful moment, with her face being kissed by tiny flakes, and then a rush of wind.

Sherri opens her eyes just as the tawny blur passes, and smirks. She doesn't even take her glove off before sounding a piercing whistle that echoes into the sky. It takes a moment for the sound to register, but the giant Pokemon suddenly turns and dovetails straight toward her. The townspeople on the street don't even scatter, just watch with interest as the Fearow lands just a wing's-width away. No one's riding her.

"True doesn't know I'm in the city yet, right?"

The Fearow shakes her head.

Sherri grins. "Awesome. C'mere, Clara."

Clara's dark blue eyes shine as she pushes her long beak into Sherri's waiting hands. She clicks it merrily, teasing the curled ends of her hair and cooing softly. Sherri throws a smile at a curious man passing by, who tips his hat to her, before leaning down. "You wanna save me a walk?"

She only has a few flights under her belt, but Clara is a seasoned pro; the Fearow pokes and prods Sherri until she's sitting the right way, with her hands braced on the base of Clara's neck and her body low. Take off is almost a second thought—one moment they're on the ground and the next they are not, spraying pebbles and dust beneath them.

The flight to the gym doesn't take more than a few minutes, but it's fast enough for Sherri's face to go numb and her thighs to start wiggling. Viridian Gym, once a building tucked behind thick imposing trees, has been polished and repainted and landscaped to seem almost inviting. Red-pink flowers line the dirt path leading to the front door; she's heard trainers in Saffron marvel about them, and their resilience in the most extreme weather. Sherri bends down to stroke one of the dark green fronds, very aware of Clara lowering her head in respect behind her.

"The gym's not open this early, right?" Sherri asks, standing up and readjusting her backpack. "What're you going to do, sneak me in?"

The new gleam in Clara's eyes is answer enough. She leads the two of them to the back door and pokes it twice with her beak. The door opens immediately to a tall Exeggutor, who stares at them for about two seconds before every head brightens. "Sh—!"

"Shhhh. Hyde. Surprise, remember?"

"No it's okay!" The Exeggutor bounces on their feet as it moves back, allowing Clara and Sherri to step inside. The hallway lights have been turned on, revealing light gray tile and soothing green walls. "True and Casey went out to get groceries—"

"Hey, Hyde? Can you slow it down a bit, I can't catch everything you're saying."

"Oh." Hyde nods, takes a deep breath, and begins again. "True and Casey went out to take care of some last-minute stuff, they were gonna be back just before they went to pick you up from the station! Why're you here now?!"

"Payback," Sherri says simply. Clara snickers.

"Well you'll have to tell us—oh, your bag! Let me help!" Sherri has just enough time to lift her arms before the backpack slides off her. It hangs several feet away, suspended by bright green energy. "You probably had a long train—it was a train, right? I've never been on a train before, I keep telling True…"

Now that the heavy bag is off her back, Sherri feels better—or at least like she can walk confidently. Hyde leads the way, asking her questions about Saffron and her work and her friends.

"I think Preston's relieved to have some space to himself," Sherri says, as Hyde leads them up the staircase. She remembers when the upper floor had been used as a viewing balcony, with a glass wall all that separated the upper lobby from the battlefield. It's been replaced by a memento wall, with framed photos from True's previous battles dominating much of the space. She recognizes several key moments from televised battles, and even a few candid shots taken with a camera bought in Fuchsia: a Venusaur smiling, Hyde conversing merrily with a frowning Haunter, a Blastoise throwing a hard punch into the jaw of a Dragonite.

"Door's unlocked! They shouldn't be much longer."

She turns away from a silver-framed picture of a green-eyed Raichu to step inside the apartment. Very little has changed: the cream-colored walls are familiar, and the green trimmings—what was with gym leaders color-coordinating everything to their badges?—are just as she remembered them. The beige couches have been moved to the side, no doubt to better accommodate True's larger team members. Someone's left the radio on to something jazzy, and a fire crackles in the fireplace. True had laughed about it when she'd first moved in, said something about it being safer than cuddling Jackson in the night. The living room was more than big enough for a fully-grown Charizard, but yeah, probably better than running the risk of burning the gym down.

Clara doesn't follow them inside, instead settling at the bottom of the stairs. Sherri carefully lays her heavy down coat over the nearest chair and her black gloves on top of her bag before flopping on the couch. Hyde sinks down beside her, their trunk turned toward her like they're a teenage girl about to drop some serious gossip. "I wish I was going with you guys. A whole month in… where is it you're going again?"

"Alola." She's had enough friends in her theatre group begging for details and souvenirs. "It's somewhere far, far south from here."

"True showed us a picture a few days ago," Hyde says. "She has a bunch of stuff planned, like—ooh, maybe I shouldn't say that. It's a surprise."

The whole trip had been a surprise. The region's professor, who was known best by the global community of researchers and trainers, had come to Kanto to participate in the Indigo Challenge. He'd been so impressed by what he'd seen that he'd gone to High Champion Peg Hartfield herself to request the Indigo League's help in establishing a league in Alola. She had no idea how True had been chosen to leave after the closing ceremonies were done, only that Viridian would be taken care of in her absence and that she could bring a plus-one.

Enter Sherri, who had decided to surprise her girlfriend with an early arrival before tomorrow's high-speed flight. She turns to Hyde with a grin, torn between wanting to dig for details—the Exeggutor is practically an open book—or wanting to be surprised. She errs for the latter, one eye on the kitchen. "Are you hungry? I don't cook as well as True but I make a mean cheese toast."

"Oooh, yes please!"

Fortunately there's just enough cheddar cheese for herself and Hyde; unfortunately there's no bread. Hyde quickly tells her that he's fine with just the cheese, which probably isn't the greatest breakfast, but she's certainly had worse. Sherri splits the block and offers half to Hyde, and nibbles on her half. There's a good five minutes of happy munching and mild back-and-forthing before Hyde suddenly falls silent, wicked grins stretching on all five of their faces. "They're heeeeere."

"How do you," she starts, before Hyde psychically opens the door a crack. Clara's welcoming warble is easy to hear, as is the gentle laugh that greets it. Any thoughts Sherri might have of going off to hide and jump-tackle her girlfriend evaporate as she hears the stairs to the balcony creak.

"…tell you I hate needles? I didn't sign up for shots."

"Joy was really nice, she only took—wait, I didn't leave the door open. Did I leave the door open?"

"We locked the back door, and Clara would've attacked anyone we didn't know. Hang on, I'll check."

A small yellow head pushes the door open. The Pikachu takes one look inside, sees her and Hyde sitting at the table, and chuckles. "Looks like we won't need to go out later."

The door opens fully. Sherri sees hands gripping two cloth bags fulled to bursting before she looks up at the woman holding them. "Casey, of course we—oh."

It's funny, but the first thing Sherri thinks is True's cut her hair. She's used to seeing it drop past her shoulders, not sway against her chin. It hasn't even been a week since the closing ceremonies, where True had stood with Casey and the Rhydon who had cemented herself as the gym's ground-type ace.

She must notice her staring, because her pale hand comes to tease the ends. "Uh… you like it? I thought it'd be nice since we're going somewhere warmer. Wouldn't have to mess with it so much."

And that's enough for Sherri to surge forward, her cheese forgotten, to wrap her arms around her and squeeze tightly. Three months, she thinks, as she breathes in winter air and dust. She has just enough time to see a green flash before True presses a firm kiss to the corner of her mouth. "I missed you," she whispers.

"Missed," Sherri answers back, reorienting their kiss so their mouths meet properly. "You too. I love the hair."

"Thought it'd fit," True says. "You still," kiss, "want to go?"

Her low groan surprises them. They laugh softly, the gentle breaths tumbling together against their mouths. Sherri pulls back just enough to look into True's eyes—kiss-bright, her favorite look—to say, "I would much rather go traveling with you than spend another hour dealing with Mrs. Moronso."

She’s seen True smile plenty in public before, tight and… not wrong--perfectly fine with her usual company of gym challengers and League officials. But the ones she gives in private, when it’s just the two of them, are her favorite: they’re large and wild and appear without a second thought, without any hesitation. "I need to put these—oh, thanks Hyde," she says, and when Sherri turns around she finds True's bags sitting on the kitchen counter, Hyde watching them with gigantic grins on their faces. "Peg's staying here and I figured I should have some food for her. You weren't here long?"

They hold hands while True puts everything away—judging by the amount of chocolate True pulls out, High Champion Hartfield must have one hell of a sweet-tooth. "Just a few minutes. You didn't happen to buy any bread, did you?"

"We are not having cheese toast as one of our last meals before we go," True laughs.

"Well, no we aren't, Hyde and I ate your cheese."

"I was going to make macaroni with that. It's okay," she says, as Sherri's face falls, "we can just go out? There's a new restaurant that opened up that my mom's been pushing me to try—"

"Let's just stay in," Casey says from the floor, staring at the bandage wrapped tightly around his freckled arm. "There'll be enough time to eat out when we get to Alola."

"I still don't get why only Casey gets to go," Hyde whines.

"Alola's strict about allowing foreign Pokemon in," True says, like this has been an ongoing argument. There's no need to voice the greater truth: Casey is True's partner in more ways than one, and leaving him behind is unthinkable. Sherri tightens her grip on True's hand. "You're all going to have fun with Peg. Just make sure—"

"'You listen to Britt 'cause she's in charge,'" Hyde sighs.

True squeezes back before stepping away, gently cupping one of Hyde's faces in her hands. "We'll be back before you all know it. And I'm going to call from every city. And if you're good, I'll bring back presents."

"Prooomise?"

"Promise." True kisses their closest cheek gently, patting their large trunk. She turns to Casey and Sherri with a tired smile. "So. Eggs for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch… how's delivered pizza and a rented movie sound?"

Sherri smiles. "Perfect."

The plane doesn't rattle. It's eerily silent, rushing through the air at… well, she's not sure how fast planes go. It's fast, maybe even faster than a Dragonite. She spends most of the time awake, knowing she should be asleep beside True, watching the clouds whir by. They have plenty of room in first class—sometimes it pays to date a gym leader—but she doesn't want to walk. And she can't sit still. So she draws.

She hasn't had the time to do this for fun and in no way tied to commissions and I don't like stripes, make it lined and that looks like it'll be 65% cotton I want 68%. She stills, taking a deep breath. No thinking about work right now. Draw. She accents the greens and browns of Hyde's body with small strokes of purple and yellow. She's probably fudging details but reminds herself that this doesn't have to go farther than her sketchbook. This is fun. Sitting in front of their tiny window as the sun begins to rise is fun, damn it.

She feels Casey jump up on the back of her chair but doesn't glance up. True's snoring softly in the seat beside her, and it's all the music she needs right now. His paws find purchase against her thin shirt as he leans down. "Always forget how good an artist you are," he whispers.

"I'm rusty," she says, and begins shading around the pupil. "You think they're gonna be okay?"

"The team?" he asks. When she nods he says, "They'll be fine. It's like everyone's getting a vacation." She adds a few strokes of blue in the shadows, for contrast. "It'll be nice, just having the three of us. Reminds me of how it used to be."

It had been him and True for years now; now she's torn so many different ways, between gym battles and League duties and teaching part-time at the local school—and whenever she's not busy with those, Sherri's usually in town. She adds a few more hatchmarks along Hyde's trunk. "You miss it?"

He doesn't answer for a long time. She peeks at him, surprised to see his brow furrowed so deeply. Pikachu aren't supposed to look like they're battling existential crises. "She's happy," he finally decides, and stares expectedly at her.

He doesn't elaborate and she doesn't ask him to. Instead she closes her sketch pad and box of pencils and places them back in her bag. She has no idea where they are and doesn't have the patience to flag down a flight attendant; instead she leans her head against True's shoulder and closes her eyes.

She doesn't realize she'd fallen asleep until the plane jolts beneath her with a screech. Sherri yelps and grabs the closest thing available—thankfully it's True's hand and not Casey, who smirks at her from True's lap.

"I don't think I like planes," Sherri says weakly, brushing bits of hair from her mouth.

True smiles, sleepy eyed, and kisses her good morning. Sherri's so tired that she doesn't even mind the mild case of morning breath. "Good thing we're getting off soon." She turns to the open window, grinning wide. Sherri leans over her, expecting to see more fields of endless gray blue.

Instead she sees bright green everywhere: dark leafy palm trees and the brightest, clearest water she's seen in her life. Her mouth drops, and she turns to True with a shaky, "Is… is that—"

True nods. "Welcome to Alola."
[+] Table of Contents
[tabs][tab=Arc One]Prologue (see above!)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
[/tab]
[tab=Arc Two]
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight[/tab][/tabs]

It was supposed to be a vacation.

last updated 3/28: chapter eight

Can you spare a heart?

returning july 2018
[/center]
THANK YOU GILDA FOR THE RAD BANNERS <3
[+] Spoiler

"Maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me."

completed june 3, 2016
[+] Spoiler
FABULOUSNESS, WISDOM, SNARK, KINDNESS. LONG AGO THE FOUR NATIONS LIVED IN HARMONY. THEN, EVERYTHING CHANGED WHEN THE SNARK NATION ATTACKED. ONLY THE NUZVATAR, MASTER OF ALL FOUR ELEMENTS, COULD STOP THEM. BUT WHEN THE WORLD NEEDED HIM THE MOST, HE VANISHED. A HUNDRED YEARS PASSED AND MY BROTHER AND I DISCOVERED THE NEW AVATAR, A KINDNESSBENDER NAMED WASHI. AND ALTHOUGH HER KINDNESSBENDING SKILLS ARE GREAT, SHE HAS A LOT TO LEARN BEFORE SHE'S READY TO SAVE ANYONE. BUT I BELIEVE WASHI CAN SAVE THE WORLD.
DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO

deeforty-five
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

August 27th, 2017, 3:12 am #2

*breathes deeply*

Ohhhhhhh mannnnnnnnn

I've waited a while for this! I'm stoked to see a new run from you, and even more stoked that it's an Alolan sequel to WW! So far this run hits the perfect blend of cute and emotional (just like the previous one) and I can't help but wonder where we'll take us. And Casey's coming too, that's great as well!

True's a Gym Leader and doing well and I'm just so happy that she seems to be improving. Jeez. It's hard to form sentences coherently because I'm so excited.
Check out my ongoing runs, Search for Yesterday and The Dark We Carry! Banners made by Rainey and Agent Nein, thank you so much!

My completed runs are in the folder below! Check them out!
[+] Spoiler
A Newbie's SoulSilver Nuzlocke *COMPLETE*
[+] Spoiler
A complete Written Log run of Pokemon Soulsilver, with entirely too much sass. Check it out here.

An Event LG Speedun! *COMPLETE*
[+] Spoiler
Prepare for some janky camera and uninspired commentary as I blitz through Leafgreen!

"Dear Diary," Awarded Best Overall Written Run of 2016 *COMPLETE*
[+] Spoiler
WINNER OF 2016 FAN RUN EXTRAVAGANZA BEST OVERALL WRITTEN RUN
Credit to the amazing tsolei for the banner! Check her out here!
A Platinum Event Run *COMPLETE*
[+] Spoiler

SprungGeoduck
Conqueror of the Azalea Gym

August 27th, 2017, 3:12 am #3

aaaaaaahhhhhh a new Washi run holy shit.

I binged the fuck out of Wonderwall last year, and I am so on board for this. It's good to see all my favourite dorks back again, ESPECIALLY Sherri and True. Sherri as the protagonist is gonna be super interesting, I'm sure, and I'm excited to see what "other plans" Alola has for her.

This prologue was awesome, by the way! The descriptions, the looks into Sherri's head, the general sense that stuff has changed since Wonderwall, it's all so cool! Gonna be watching this one like a hawk! Keep it up!

Banner by the amazing MissMarquise!

Revenant
Conqueror of the Cianwood Gym

August 27th, 2017, 3:29 am #4

Washi! I have missed you so much! It is so great to see you back on the forums and with a Wonderwall sequel, of all things! It's like Christmas came early!

You do a nice job setting up the slice of life opener and picking up seamlessly where Wonderwall left off. Time may have passed, and we may no longer be in Casey's head, but this still feels like such a comfortable transition, and it will be fantastic to learn more about Sherri and watch her grow and watch True as well. I definitely can sense there are a lot of great things to come from the Alola plot when you insert characters like these into it. Your style is so wonderful in the third person as well. It's close, it's personal and emotional, but it's still great at showing us the world so far.

I cannot wait to see where this goes, welcome back!

Thirteenth
Conqueror of the Rustboro Gym

August 27th, 2017, 3:35 am #5

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas I'm so glad you put this up! :D

I can't wait for you to tear out my heart with these characters all over again honestly. :') <3

It's hard to do what you're told to do. One day, you wonder: What if you didn't?

Updated August 6th, 2018
Banner by the lovely Rainey
[+] Spoiler
1st Place Winner for Best Writing Style in the 2017 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
3rd Place Winner for Best Overall Written Run in the 2017 Nuzlocke Extravaganza

1st Place Winner for Best Introduction in the 2016 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

"I'll be okay."

---
2nd Place Winner for Best Descriptions in the 2016 Summer Spectacular

1st Place Winner for Best Supporting Character in the 2015 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
3rd Place Winner for Best Plot in the 2015 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
[+] Spoiler
Ascend
There?s also that feeling that there are things he should be guarding,
and things he could be destroying.
The world stops moving, but the nausea settles like a rock in the pit of his stomach.
That seems like a lot of responsibility.

---
1st Place Winner for Favorite Story Style in the 2014 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
1st Place Winner for Favorite Written Rival in the 2014 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
[/center]
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

NaNoWriMon

Shiny Dustox
Conqueror of the Lavaridge Gym
Conqueror of the Lavaridge Gym

August 27th, 2017, 5:32 am #6

[11:07 AM] Dustox: OMG
[11:07 AM] Dustox: WASHI HAS A NEW STORYLOCKE

[11:07 AM] Dustox: WASHI HAS A NEW STORYLOCKE
[11:08 AM] Gangster Garchomp: 8D

[11:14 AM] Dustox: WASHI
[11:14 AM] Dustox: OMG
[11:14 AM] Dustox: I WAS NOT READY FOR THIS HYPE

I think this is enough to express just how hype I was today lmao. Seriously, it was all I could do not to actually exclaim in public. I wasn't expecting another Washi run, especially today, but I'm all for it! And it's a sequel to Wonderwall too, of all things. It really feels so good to reconnect with True, Casey, and the others (even if it was for a little bit) again.

With that said, okay, so, iiiinteresting, does that mean the main perspective will be on Sherri now? As much as I enjoyed reading from Casey's eyes, I think a change in POV will be very refreshing, especially in a new setting like Alola. And tbh, I think Sherri would be a better guide to Alola's fun and vivid atmosphere too, just because of her perception on colors. Hopefully, that made sense.

You haven't really lost a step at all, Washi. Your writing style is as immersive and descriptive as I remember, and just... I'm really excited for all this!

PS: Omg, does this mean Casey is going to evolve to Alola Raichu? I'M ALL FOR THIS, WASHI. I'M ALL FOR THIS.

art by AgentNein
[+] Current Team
Liam Tierra Virgil Bree Aurora Helena
To view my Completed Runs, feel free to visit The Insectarium.

MissMarquise
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym

August 27th, 2017, 7:03 am #7

jumping on the excitement train even though i never managed to get through WW (sorry lol) but boy is the writing smooth in this. goddamn its like butter on an ice rink. feels natural feels organic.

❀❧❀{ ^^^ I write that! } ❀❧❀
(summer hiatus while i corral children on a remote island for $$$! brb)

SeaMaid
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym

August 27th, 2017, 7:50 am #8

Yo here's another person who never read wonderwall

while I may miss out on feels that way, it doesn't mean I like this any less! Having trouble deciding any favourite lines but I like how many interjections there are, makes the text feel very dynamic. So maybe "She hasn't had the time to do this for fun and in no way tied to commissions and I don't like stripes, make it lined and that looks like it'll be 65% cotton I want 68%" - geez, those 3 percent mean a lot, huh? :V
CURRENT AVATAR: a drawing of Zizou from Legend of Dark Witch, as drawn by Famimatsu

Music Thread | SoundCloud | Music tumblr

Want a storylocke of a "soul-crushing" hake along with that hobbyist music? This one's gonna come back someday I swear:

I'm also responsible for the one and only HarvestCraft run on these forums if you want a chill experience.
(that one's on semi-official hiatus though, sorry;;)

Emilianite
Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym

August 27th, 2017, 9:31 am #9

This was such a beautiful start. Your writing is so clear, natural and the way you convey interaction between the characters and oh boy the atmosphere is spot on, especially in the beginning. I'm very excited to be following your run from the beginning and I wish you the best of luck with all the future parts~

SilverStrangequark
Unova League Champion
Unova League Champion

August 27th, 2017, 10:04 am #10

What a start! This connects perfectly to the ending of Wonderwall. I'm glad I caught up with it earlier this year, so I'll be able to follow the sequel step by step and enjoy it in full.

Going for Alola was a great decision, considering the Kanto origins of the story and the fact the Alola protagonist comes from Kanto in vanilla. Setting it up as a holiday for True was a good idea - and I wonder what sort of troubles will persuade her to stay.

Good luck with this!

Pancake

August 27th, 2017, 11:59 am #11

Oh boy.

As someone who chipped away at Wonderwall for a while before getting left behind, I'm so happy I caught this one early. Your characters are delightfully written already, with Hyde being my personal favorite here. I never got to his introduction in Wonderwall but I'm already disappointed that he isn't going with the others to Alola. At least he'll be on the phone occasionally, which is nice.

Not getting left behind this time. That's a promise.
Do not fear the strong; fear the weak, for they have something to prove

[+] Spoiler
Thanks to the absolutely amazing Degree for this banner. I love you long time.

AgreeableChap
Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Conqueror of the Viridian Gym

August 27th, 2017, 2:29 pm #12

Oh man, I'm excited. Can't wait to see more!
Run coming at some point

3DS Friend Code: 0447-5400-2085
XY Friend Safari: Ice, Snover/Sneasel/Dewgong (once I finish this Nuzlocke)

Plain Yogurt

August 27th, 2017, 7:07 pm #13

Ahhh how lovely to see you and your characters again! I'd almost forgotten how much I loved Hyde. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how these guys have grown since WW and how they'll continue to grow here and how Alola will be in your universe.
Don't think you know a thing about a thing you know nothing about

The Y Files: My blind Y journal: A boy's ramblings about his adventures through the Kalos region.
Last updated 7/31/18 with Intermission Eight! In which we're all concerned about a giant lizard.

Vent

August 29th, 2017, 3:13 am #14

I haven't read wonderwall myself yet- probably should at some point!- but this was an excellent first chapter! I never felt particularly lost here while reading and you obviously do a splendid job of describing your setting and do a great job of making your characters shine through whenever you write them. looking forward to more!

Updated 8/31/18! Q/A open until Chapter 30! Banner by Rainey!

NBL S10 record; 7-3 (+14) MVP: Hydreigon

and a coupla other story things, nuzlocke and not nuzlocke;
[+] Spoiler

A Black storylocke! Updated 6/10/18! Banner by Dusty!

The Multiverse Theory, a series of short stories set in a crossover universe! Updated 3/25/2018

Washi

September 2nd, 2017, 8:36 pm #15

[+] me watching all the replies come in the past week

Special thanks to Thirteenth for making this, I LOL'd so hard soda came out my nose. Not a fun experience.
Individual replies are in their own separate spoiler, but as a blanket statement: thank you all for such a warm welcome back! I'm hoping to have a regular update weekly. We'll see how things work out on that front, haha.
[+] Replies!
@deeforty-five Ahhh, thank you!! I've been wanting to do something with Sun and Moon ever since they came out. I don't even remember how I got the idea to send True, Sherri and Casey into Alola, but I'm sure glad I did! And I'm excited that YOU'RE excited! :D

@SprungGeoduck Haha, some of Alola's surprises will be familiar to those who have played SM. Others will be of my own making. ;) Great to have you aboard!

@Revenant REV OMG <33 I didn't expect this to be my welcome back gig either, but I'm excited for it! Close third person is my usual style--Wonderwall's first person was an experiment that somehow succeeded--and Sherri is already proving to be a fun narrator to write. I'm glad I've caught your interest, and to see you again! <3

@Thirteenth NEITHER CAN I TBH <3

@Shiny Dustox If anyone was able to grump his way through Alola, it would have been Casey LOL. You've hit the nail on the head; Sherri's eye for detail and color is something that I'm super excited to write for and one of the main reasons I favored her POV over other potential characters. I'm glad to be back and SO excited to see you excited! :)

@MissMarquise LOL no worries, that thing is a monster :"D The important bits from WW will be folded into L&L, so there's no pressure to go back. Glad you're enjoying so far, and welcome aboard!

@SeaMaid Some people are extremely picky about their percentages :x But hey, money's money! Glad to have you aboard! :D

@Emilianite Whaaaa, thank you love ;_; <3

@SilverStrangequark Ooh, nice catch! We'll definitely be exploring those connections in this run, don't you worry. Congratulations on making it through WW, and glad to have you aboard on this next journey! :D

@Pancake Hyde and the WW gang will certainly have their moments, no worries. I'm glad to have you at the start of this adventure--it's gonna be a fun one!

@AgreeableChap MOOOOCH <333 Can't wait to see YOU more!

@Plain Yogurt Hyde pretty much forced his way into that prologue and I can't say I'm sorry for it, haha. I'm excited to have you aboard, my friend! <3

@Vent So glad to hear this! As I've told others, the goal is to have a cohesive story that doesn't rely too heavily on backhand knowledge of WW. We'll see how I succeed! Thanks for commenting, and welcome aboard!
[+] Chapter One
They've been in Alola for less than fifteen minutes, and Sherri already knows one thing: it's full of tourists.

At least, she's been in Alola's airport. And maybe she shouldn't be too surprised, technically being one herself. But she doesn't need a keen eye for details when the people swarming around them dress so… obviously, with loud-printed shirts that are just as likely to sag on their bodies as they are to tightly hug every possible curve. Never the perfect fit. True has to hold her hand to keep her fingers from twitching for needles she most definitely does not have (within easy reach) and even then her eyes keep shifting.

"How many hours was that?" Casey asks, yawning from True's shoulder.

She looks away from a young woman complaining about a broken phone, readjusting her backpack on her shoulder. "Too many. I'm glad we're back on solid ground."

"Not for long," True says, tucking a folded a piece of paper back into a small black journal. "Landing at the airport was step one. We have to take a boat to get to the main island."

Casey groans. "Don't tell me I have to get prodded before getting on the boat, too."

"No," True laughs, "but that's why we went to Nurse Joy in Viridian. To save you a prodding."

"You're not even Kanto native," Sherri teases him. "And you were a battling Pokemon before. Don't tell me you haven't been vaccinated before."

"It was years ago," he says, frowning. "And it's not like I'm going to be battling."

"We don't know what might happen here," True says softly. "And it's always better to be prepared."

She catches True's brow furrowing—it's subtle, easily missable with her head tilted away from her—and changes course. "Okay, enough sad talk. Look where we are!" she says, gesturing to the sunlight streaming in from the glass walls and bleaching the pale carpet. The tiny island that houses Alola's only airport is drunk with it—the palm trees that sway in the breeze, the surf swallowing the white sand, the sleek bodies of unfamiliar Pokemon darting between bushes and vines, they all wear the golden light like a second skin and revel in dressing up.

One squeeze of her hand is enough to bring them both back inside; True seems lighter now, her face relaxed. Sherri grins. "Everything'll be fine. You know where we're going, miss world traveler?"

"Melemele," True says slowly, and points to a map of the region annotated with cities and towns and prime tourist attractions. "At least, I think that's where we're headed. Kukui will know for sure."

"The man who arranged us to get over here?" True nods, and Sherri tilts her head. "You still haven't told me much about him."

True winces. "He's… not easy to explain. You'll understand when we see him." They round the corner and step out onto the street—the sunlight is harsher without the layer of glass and air conditioning to shield them, but the warmth feels good on her skin. The airport spills out to an open pier, abuzz with vendors advertising souvenirs and food and drinks, but the main attraction are the boats docked in every available pier. She's marveled at the size and colors and sheer variety: the city-bound ferry boats, painted in bright greens and pinks; medium boats big enough for a few families, blinding white with blue trim and with massive sails held fast with rope; and smaller boats, with carefully-penned names painted on their noses.

She has just enough time to notice a tiny passenger boat stained gray by the sea when she hears a booming voice call out, "Aha! Alola, True Fargone!" A dark hand waves high above the crowd. True tugs her along, her smile already tight, to that tiny passenger boat and the man standing atop it.

There's a lot to process; the dirty lab coat and the white cap to match, the bare and very well toned torso, the chin beard blending seamlessly into a five-o'clock shadow, the huge smile tying it all together. If she saw him walking down the street back home she'd probably give him second passing glance—because he's beautiful, she can appreciate beautiful men—before she'd move on to the women he'd surely leave giggling in his wake. But right now he's the only thing she can look at, if only because she's too surprised to do anything else. He steps easily off his boat to greet them, his arms thrown open. "So glad you could make it!" he calls out, his voice smooth like Combee honey. "How was your flight?"

She glances over to True from the corner of her eye; Casey is smirking and True is clearing her throat, trying to look anywhere but his chest. She doesn't seem to notice Sherri staring at her. "Long, but good. Thank you again for inviting us."

"Hey now, no thanks needed—you're the one doing me a favor, yeah? And you," he says, turning to face her with piercing brown eyes, "must be Sherri. It's great to finally meet you."

She'll have a story to tell Laurie when she gets home, that's for damn sure. Up close she can see the shape and gleam of his eyes behind the sunglasses sliding off his large nose; they're especially bright compared to his lazy smile. "Likewise," Sherri says, and extends a hand. "Though I can't really say I know much about you."

"Nah? We'll fix that while we Surf on out of here. C'mon."

The boat creaks under their feet, and despite Kukui gentle assurances and wide smiles Sherri still feels uneasy. True and Casey, who have spent their fair share of time riding on little more than a Blastoise's shell, press against the railing at the front of the boat to lean into the spray; Sherri sticks as close to the middle as possible with the bags, clinging to the side of the captain's quarters.

"Waters are pretty calm here, we're not too far out!" Sherri turns to Kukui, who has thrown his side window open. He takes one look at her and laughs. "Let me guess, you haven't been sailing much?"

"I usually stick to the ground," she admits, forcing herself to uncurl her fingers. When she doesn't fall right on her face she unlocks her knees. "Trains and maybe the occasional cab, if I can find one. True's the all-terrain travel expert," she says, gesturing forward.

Casey has climbed off True's shoulder to stand on the guard rail. True turns around and waves, her mouth round with something—and then Casey's calling for her, pointing to a dark smudge on the horizon.

"The mainland, Melemele," Kukui calls out, and True offers a thumbs-up. The gesture turns to an open hand, but Sherri shakes her head and mouths I'm okay. True nods, her smile less bright, and settles beside Casey. Kukui clears his throat after a long, silent minute, and when she meets his eyes his smile is softer, though no less genuine. "How long've you two been together?"

"It'll be two years this February," Sherri says, smiling softly.

"You know she was one of the first people I met in Kanto, after all the legal mumbo-jumbo was sorted out?" he asks, stretching his arms above his head. "There I was, out of the airport like a tipsy Mudbray, and I stumbled right into her 'cause I wasn't watching where I was going. We were on the ground and everything. Thought her Charizard was going to eat me right up when we all figured out what had happened."

She winces, laughing. "Jackson can be… kind of overprotective."

"Turned out not to be much of a problem, since she was who I was looking for in the first place." He pulls a few levers and the boat turns, surprisingly graceful despite its weather-worn appearance. "I didn't get to talk with her much, outside of that and the battling, but she was great. Really helped me get on my way across Kanto." He pauses, lowering his head. "So when she said she'd come over here to help me out, I nearly went into a Quiver Dance!"

She still remembers that phone call from True, who had been so flustered and excited Sherri had to beg her to slow down at least twice. They'd spent two months trying to balance both their schedules, and had broken open two bottles of wine in two different cities. "Have you been planning this for a while?"

"It's kind of been an idea in the back of my head since I started studying," he says. "I'd go to those big conferences of Pokemon researchers and tell people where I'm from, and just get met with blank stares. It's gotten better now that I've started putting my name out there, but I'll still get people asking me where Alola is. Now that I've traveled a little more and made some good friends, I figure it's time for us to get on the big stage, y'know? It's time to make the rest of the world take us seriously, and gettin' our own League's the perfect way to do that. And why not model after the first and the biggest? But," he says, and chuckles, "that's all talk for later tonight. For now, let's just enjoy ourselves!"

He gestures forward. Sherri looks up and—wow, land. The rugged mountain—or maybe it's a volcano?—draws her eye immediately, nowhere near tall enough to pierce the silvery wisps of clouds overhead but a dominant part of Melemele's skyline nevertheless. Even from the boat she can tell the sand has been bleached white by the sun, lapped up by turquoise water that froths against the shore. She notices all of this before she even registers the city creeping up on them like the tide, its short buildings gleaming in the mid-morning sun.

"Hau'oli's especially pretty this time of day," Kukui says, and grins. "You'll wanna remember your first day here."

It's enough of a dismissal to please Sherri; she's grown tired of watching the world pass from the sidelines. With a sigh she makes her way over to True, pressing against her. True beams, loosely wrapping an arm around her waist. Casey takes one look at them and chuckles, settling down beside True's free elbow.

"It kind of reminds me of Cinnabar," True says quietly, her words almost swallowed by the hiss of the surf.

She smiles, fitting her head in the space between True's neck and shoulder. She smells like the sea. "Homesick already?"

"No," she says. She pauses. "What did Kukui have to say?"

"Nothing much," Sherri says softly, threading their fingers together.

"He's a good man." She squeezes Sherri's hand. "When I first agreed to come here he offered to house us at his place, but… I figured we could hole up in a hotel, spend some time alone."

Sherri says nothing but kisses True firmly.

They part just as Kukui guides them to the docks, with hardly a stutter or untimely knock against the wood; he leaps out to secure the boat with a rope he's pulled seemingly out of nowhere. If she's rattled him with their conversation he doesn't show it; his lackadaisical smile is back and his eyes are bright as he pulls them onto solid land again. "Hau'oli's the biggest city in all of Alola. Most tourists don't venture far away from here, at least not by themselves, so it's pretty easy to get around." He pulls a long, white device from his pocket and begins to punch something in without looking. "After we drop your bags off, I have to head out to set up the last of the decorations for tonight."

"What's happening tonight?" Sherri asks.

"The ceremony to honor the island's guardian Pokemon," True answers, rolling her shoulders experimentally. She turns to Sherri, head tilted. "Are you still okay to go?"

The event sounds familiar, though the details are fuzzy; she blames jet lag and the stunning sights around her. Sherri shrugs into her backpack, readjusting to its weight. "Yeah, that sounds fun."

"It's one of the best events on the whole island!" Kukui says, pocketing the white device with a satisfied smile. "I couldn't have planned your arrival better if I'd… well, planned it! So we can just meet at your hotel after you've settled in, gone sightseeing, and then I'll take you up to Iki Town for the main event! Sound like a plan?"

"Sounds like something," Casey says from True's shoulder. True mutters something suspiciously like behave and he clears his throat. "Will everyone be there?"

"Mostly natives. No tourists." Kukui scratches the back of his head. "Hala's always been adamant about keeping these ceremonies as far away from them as possible, so it'll just be us natives. He's kind of a stickler for tradition, you know?"

Sherri pauses. She's unaware that she's tightened her grip until True winces beside her; she lets up, though not by much. "Will it be a problem having us here?"

"Nah, I already cleared it with him. You three're my personal guests." Kukui looks back down at his device, smiles, and gestures down the dock. "But we won't get there if we don't start moving now, yeah? Follow Me!"

Hau'oli City had been just as welcoming as she'd expect from a tourist hub, with clearly marked signs pointing to the most prominent sights. What had surprised them all was how accommodating it was to the local Pokemon as well—entire fields were gated off and thrummed with wildlife, all preening and singing and completely at home while strangers passed underneath them. One small black-and-white bird had even landed on True's head, prodding her gently with its gray beak before taking off with a bit of their lunch. True had raved about it to everyone they'd passed, and they'd all exploded into stories about similar events.

The food was wonderful, the sights brilliant, but nothing has shocked her yet—not even the Tauros carts, which seemed to be the only mode of large-wheeled transportation inside the city proper. She's seen (and used) enough rental Pokemon in Saffron to know about their use as manual labor, but the Pokemon here seemed… more relaxed. Maybe that was the effect of living by the ocean, or being around such friendly people all the time. She can't remember the last time someone had smiled at her for no other reason than to say "hi."

They spend their last hour in the hotel room, resting their feet and preparing for the night ahead. Normally Sherri pushes herself up to the last possible second, but she's here to relax and have fun; there are no hard work deadlines to meet, no fittings with finicky customers or actors. Instead she allows herself to sit and clear her mind, and open her sketchbook to a fresh blank page. She draws in fast strokes until she can pick out an image: True and the tiny birds from earlier that afternoon. She glances up every so often to see Casey nibbling on the last of their malasadas on the bed behind her, careful not to let a crumb go to waste. When the bathroom door opens Sherri calls out, "What time did Kukui say he'd pick us up?"

"Seven, I think?" True walks forward in a robe, her legs flushed red from a hot shower and shave. She flops onto the bed beside Casey, her arms folded underneath her chin. "What're you drawing?"

Sherri adds a few finishing touches before turning the sketchpad around with a grin. "What do you think, did I get your face right?"

True's laughter shakes the bed. She pulls her damp hair out of her face and eyes her warmly, her ankles crossed above her. "You know I like everything you draw."

Sherri quirks her brow, her grin turning sly. Casey coughs loudly and heads to the bathroom, where water starts running from the faucet. It's as much privacy as he can give them right now, and like hell is she going to miss the opportunity. She places her pencils and sketchbook down on the small office table and lies down on the bed beside True. There's a light blush on her face when she says, "Kukui'll be here soon."

Normally she would protest—she knows how to make the most out of limited time—but her feet hurt from all the walking they've done and they've both just taken showers. She kisses True anyway, long and deep, and inches her fingers into True's short hair. Kissing sideways is awkward but she knows, just by the press of True's lips and the pleasurable warmth in her belly, that kissing upright will lead to them missing the event completely.

This doesn't bother her. They have a clock counting down on the time they have together, but it measures in weeks instead of hours—Sherri doesn't have to rush off to fill a commission or work at the theater, and True doesn't have to fly off to Indigo Plateau for a meeting or back to Viridian for a scheduled gym battle. When she wakes up tomorrow True will be beside her, tangled in these bedsheets; maybe they'll take a lazy day tomorrow, just stretch out on the bed as their bodies readjust to the clock.

"So." Sherri parts after a soft, long kiss. "What should I know about Kukui?"

True brushes a curl from Sherri's forehead, thoughtful. "He's lived in Alola all his life but studied in Unova. Very passionate about his work—he studies how Pokemon translate their energy into attacking. He came to ask advice about establishing a League here."

"Did he ask for you specifically?"

True shakes her head. "But he got really excited when I said I'd go. I guess we really hit it off when we met."

"S'not the only thing you hit, if I heard the story right."

True smiles. "He told you, huh?"

Sherri nods. She tugs at True's hand and fits it in hers, threading their fingers together. "What about this Hala, do you know anything about him?"

"If I remember right, he's one of the Kahunas—I think those are like our gym leaders. Kukui explained everything so quickly that I'm sure I missed something, but he is important. He'll be there tonight."

Sherri sighs. "I guess I just don't understand why Kukui was the one to come to Kanto, and not one of the Kahunas. A League is more than just one person."

"I don't know. Maybe we'll find out tonight." True kisses her one more time before sitting up from the bed. "We should probably get dressed. Don't want to show up to an important ceremony in our bathrobes."

"I mean," she begins, but her words dissolve into quiet giggles as she catches True's flushed face. "No, you're right. I need to change too," she says, looking down at her own robe.

"You're silly," True says with a shake of her head, but she smiles as she closes the bathroom door behind her.

She'd planned her outfit the second Kukui gave her the dress code; something light and easy to move in, nothing too showy or too conservative. She lingers a few extra moments on the bed, reveling in the thin sheets in her fingers and the smell of the hotel shampoo right where True had been laying. A small part of her wishes they had nowhere else to be, a corny movie and some room service; the other wants things to start moving again.

The bed dips beside her; she blinks up to see Casey staring down at her, his face clean of powdered sugar. "Everything okay?" she asks, still unwilling to move.

"I don't know. Nervous about tonight." He sighs. "I get the feeling we're heading into something really big."

She likes to consider herself skilled at talking with Pokemon—she knows how bodies move, what meaning lurks behind shifty eyes or twitching fingers. But talking with Casey is too much like talking with a human: there's a little too much sharpness in his features when he speaks, too much hesitation in his eyes when he looks away to think. She sits up. "True doesn't seem worried, and she's the one who's really met him."

"And you?"

"I still don't know much about him as a person, but he seems like a good guy. Do you not like him?"

"It's not that, he just… reminds me of Professor Oak. He has a way of keeping important things close to his chest, and cluing us in when it's best for him."

She's only met the professor a few times; all she knows is that he's brilliant, and a family friend of True's. "I thought you liked the professor."

"I do. I also know that sometimes it's best to keep an eye on him, to make sure you're not blindsided." He stretches, curling his hands into the bedsheets. "Or maybe I'm just being paranoid. Maybe things'll be just fine and we'll be back here eating matasamas."

"Malasadas," she corrects gently, and turns to the front door. She's seen enough theatre to know that this is usually where something big happens—a knock on the door, a telephone call. Only Hau'oli answers from the open windows.

It was supposed to be a vacation.

last updated 3/28: chapter eight

Can you spare a heart?

returning july 2018
[/center]
THANK YOU GILDA FOR THE RAD BANNERS <3
[+] Spoiler

"Maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me."

completed june 3, 2016
[+] Spoiler
FABULOUSNESS, WISDOM, SNARK, KINDNESS. LONG AGO THE FOUR NATIONS LIVED IN HARMONY. THEN, EVERYTHING CHANGED WHEN THE SNARK NATION ATTACKED. ONLY THE NUZVATAR, MASTER OF ALL FOUR ELEMENTS, COULD STOP THEM. BUT WHEN THE WORLD NEEDED HIM THE MOST, HE VANISHED. A HUNDRED YEARS PASSED AND MY BROTHER AND I DISCOVERED THE NEW AVATAR, A KINDNESSBENDER NAMED WASHI. AND ALTHOUGH HER KINDNESSBENDING SKILLS ARE GREAT, SHE HAS A LOT TO LEARN BEFORE SHE'S READY TO SAVE ANYONE. BUT I BELIEVE WASHI CAN SAVE THE WORLD.
DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO

SprungGeoduck

September 2nd, 2017, 10:54 pm #16

Well, we're in Alola now! Apart from Kukui being moderately weird, nothing much happened in this one. But that's okay! You did a fantastic job of establishing Alola as a place with your descriptions, Casey was fun as always, and we got some lovely fluffy Sherri/True moments. It's nice to see Sherri being a bit more relaxed, but you can tell she's still a bit tense. I'm excited for the next chapter! Keep it up!

Banner by the amazing MissMarquise!

deeforty-five

September 3rd, 2017, 5:09 am #17

Aghjsklmnghjsk those two are cute together

I'm liking Sherri as our primary POV character so far! It's refreshing to see True from someone's view besides a pokemon companion, and she's got a nice, relaxed feel to her that distinguishes her from the POV of our Wonderwall protags.

You have some top-tier word choice going on here, too. The airport is drunk with it, it spills out... Considering that I'm trying to pick that sort of great but unorthodox word choice for myself, I have to give you some mad props. And the dialogue feels so natural and is interspersed with action perfectly. Even beyond the characters, your writing itself is as good as ever.
Check out my ongoing runs, Search for Yesterday and The Dark We Carry! Banners made by Rainey and Agent Nein, thank you so much!

My completed runs are in the folder below! Check them out!
[+] Spoiler
A Newbie's SoulSilver Nuzlocke *COMPLETE*
[+] Spoiler
A complete Written Log run of Pokemon Soulsilver, with entirely too much sass. Check it out here.

An Event LG Speedun! *COMPLETE*
[+] Spoiler
Prepare for some janky camera and uninspired commentary as I blitz through Leafgreen!

"Dear Diary," Awarded Best Overall Written Run of 2016 *COMPLETE*
[+] Spoiler
WINNER OF 2016 FAN RUN EXTRAVAGANZA BEST OVERALL WRITTEN RUN
Credit to the amazing tsolei for the banner! Check her out here!
A Platinum Event Run *COMPLETE*
[+] Spoiler

SilverStrangequark
Unova League Champion
Unova League Champion

September 3rd, 2017, 9:07 am #18

Thanks! Catching up on Wonderwall was a good thing. I was looking for some good reference runs in Kanto since I plan to do storylockes of my own after the comic I'm currently doing is over (and it's in the final stages already), checking out Wonderwall headstarted me into the storylocke world.

I can see patterns with this run too - your beginnings are slow and steady, in a good way. There's been a lot of worldbuilding in these first two issues, and I actually didn't catch on Sherri being the protagonist in the prologue. I thought the POV would shift back to True, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense. This will be HER big adventure.

Casey, I thought you were a Pikachu, not an Absol. Please don't become the doomsday predictor of this run. Alola is troubled enough on its own, and so are the girls.

Anyway, good follow up for the good start you had. Again, I'm very curious about what exactly will go "wrong" and persuade Sherri and True to stay in the region, so I look forward to seeing that in the (I'm guessing) next chapter!

SeaMaid

September 3rd, 2017, 10:04 am #19

"He's… not easy to explain. You'll understand when we see him."

You could've just told them he's a hot mess or rather hot with a messy speech pattern until you understand him :V

"If she saw him walking down the street back home she'd probably give him second passing glance—because he's beautiful, she can appreciate beautiful men—before she'd move on to the women he'd surely leave giggling in his wake." ohoho~oh I know that mood (well for the most part)
"his voice smooth like Combee honey" I like how this implies there's other kinds of honey in the Pokéuniverse. There probably are IRL too but if so I never heard of'em. ... orm aybe my brain is just playing tricks on me.

Hala is a good man please tell me he's traditional in good ways :ohdear:

""Malasadas," she corrects gently, and turns to the front door. She's seen enough theatre to know that this is usually where something big happens—a knock on the door, a telephone call. Only Hau'oli answers from the open windows." ahhh this is such a gentle ending to the chapter
CURRENT AVATAR: a drawing of Zizou from Legend of Dark Witch, as drawn by Famimatsu

Music Thread | SoundCloud | Music tumblr

Want a storylocke of a "soul-crushing" hake along with that hobbyist music? This one's gonna come back someday I swear:

I'm also responsible for the one and only HarvestCraft run on these forums if you want a chill experience.
(that one's on semi-official hiatus though, sorry;;)

Thirteenth

September 3rd, 2017, 9:20 pm #20

[+] <333
First, the keep calm poster
wrote:that are just as likely to sag on their bodies as they are to tightly hug every possible curve. Never the perfect fit.
I love that Sherri notes this because it's Sherri, of course she would look at people and immediately notice that no one has properly fitting clothes.
wrote:a young woman complaining about a broken phone
aitveowpywbaIS THAT CRYSSA
wrote:"Landing at the airport was step one. We have to take a boat to get to the main island."

Casey groans. "Don't tell me I have to get prodded before getting on the boat, too."
I love this detail btw.
wrote:True winces. "He's… not easy to explain. You'll understand when we see him."
Oh I bet.
wrote:Casey is smirking and True is clearing her throat, trying to look anywhere but his chest.
lmao True
wrote:It's great to finally meet you."
"Finally?" I wonder just how much True has gushed to him about Sherri.
wrote:"It'll be two years this February," Sherri says, smiling softly. 
Awwwwwwwww
wrote:surprisingly graceful despite its weather-worn appearance.
I liked this phrase.
wrote:They'd spent two months trying to balance both their schedules, and had broken open two bottles of wine in two different cities.
Awwww
wrote:"Sounds like something," Casey says from True's shoulder. True mutters something suspiciously like behave and he clears his throat. "Will everyone be there?"
Casey pls
wrote:Follow Me!"
lmao Okay, this one cracked me up for some reason.
wrote: Casey coughs loudly and heads to the bathroom, where water starts running from the faucet.
lmao casey

I don't appreciate feeling like something bad is supposed to happen soon despite the chill mood dammit. And yet I look forward to it. What was that old-ass quote? "Oh, I wouldn't mind. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."

It's hard to do what you're told to do. One day, you wonder: What if you didn't?

Updated August 6th, 2018
Banner by the lovely Rainey
[+] Spoiler
1st Place Winner for Best Writing Style in the 2017 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
3rd Place Winner for Best Overall Written Run in the 2017 Nuzlocke Extravaganza

1st Place Winner for Best Introduction in the 2016 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

"I'll be okay."

---
2nd Place Winner for Best Descriptions in the 2016 Summer Spectacular

1st Place Winner for Best Supporting Character in the 2015 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
3rd Place Winner for Best Plot in the 2015 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
[+] Spoiler
Ascend
There?s also that feeling that there are things he should be guarding,
and things he could be destroying.
The world stops moving, but the nausea settles like a rock in the pit of his stomach.
That seems like a lot of responsibility.

---
1st Place Winner for Favorite Story Style in the 2014 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
1st Place Winner for Favorite Written Rival in the 2014 Nuzlocke Extravaganza
[/center]
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

NaNoWriMon