Forum rules
Post your nuzlocke here! This is the section for written story runs. If your run is not a story so much as a direct recounting of events, you want the Screenshot and Written Log section [url=http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/forum/3017482/]here. [/url] If your story does not follow the core Nuzlocke rules, it goes in [url=http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/forum/3033771/]Other Adventures. [/url]

Good luck and happy nuzlocking!

Forced Perspective

estralita
Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym

May 15th, 2018, 11:12 pm #1

Hello, hello. Double welcomes for the Double Pearl Soul Link (no copy of Diamond available) and I am hyped! The gameplay was done alonside my pal RubyClaw, check him out if you haven't already! Now it's time for:

Also, warning for language, and possibly violence.
[+] Rules
1. Standard Faint=dead

2. Everything gets a nickname. RubyClaw's theme is Vices, while mine is Virtues

3. Catch only the first pokemon encountered in an area

-Dupes clause on. Each player has five chances to catch a pokemon from a family they have not caught yet. If not, forfeit the catch.
-This does not apply across games. Both players may own a Bidoof, but one player may not catch two, or a Bidoof and a Bibarel.

Soul Link Rules:

4.In a new area, the first encounters for both players will be, "linked," together until death.If one player fails the catch, the entire catch is lost.

5.If one Pokémon in a linked pair is placed in the PC, it's Soul Link partner must be placed in the PC as well.

6.If one Pokémon in a linked pair dies, it's Soul Link partner is considered dead as well.

7 If one player fails to capture their first encounter in an area, the second player must forfeit their encounter in their corresponding area.

Other Rules:

8.No trade evolutions.

9.RubyClaw plays on Set, I play on Shift because I'm a weenie

10.Gift Pokemon are allowed, assuming they are the first encounter.

11.Try not to get the other player killed.

12.The run is considered complete when events happen.
[+] ToC
Prologue: Here
Chapter One:The Girl
Partners
Names
More Names
[+] Prologue: Looking Ahead
May 22, Sandgem Town

Well, it’s official. Dad can’t come to graduation. The most important day in my life, when my destiny is revealed, and he has to go on a business trip to Veilstone for a week.

I know its not his fault his work scheduled the business trip on that date,and he feels terrible about it. Before he leaves, we’re going to Jubilife for a full week, and he gave me a blank check for me to buy my graduation outfit and accessories. I’ve got my eye on a special pastel pink chiffon that Johanna says brings out the rose in my cheeks. I’m going to look fabulous, and she’ll take lots of pictures for him, and make sure he doesn’t miss anything important. I get it.

I just wish he could come. I don’t want to be alone on Graduation Day.

Not that I’m completely alone, with Clint and Johanna. We’d been joking earlier, that with his mom and my dad, we have a full nuclear family for the big day. But even with dad gone, it means a lot to have them here. Especially since who knows when we’ll see each other again.

I know Clint’s aching to get moving. He’s gotten so hyper he’s gone around the other end, to the point he’s been weirdly still and quiet. And he won't even look at any of his League videos.He keeps saying he doesn’t want to jinx it. Not that I know why SYN-3-A would decide the son of one of the top Sinnoh Rangers with top scores in practical training should be anything other than a Pokemon trainer.I’d bet 10 million dollars on it.

As for me…I just try to remind myself the system has been in place for a thousand years now, and has made Sinnoh what it is today. What career it chooses will be best for me, and for the region. Whether or not it’s collecting garbage, scientific research like Dad, or Pokemon Coordin-

Dang it, Clint. You and your jinxes.

January 6, Peridot Town, Edge of Lake Verity

I can’t believe I’m doing this. I’m a fugitive from the government and keeping a diary. But if I don’t get some of these thoughts out, I’m going to go nuts. And let’s face it, if they get their paws on my laptop and break Dad’s encryption, I’m already fucked. I’m alone, I’ve got about 50 dollars in cash, I’m an ordinary human, and I have no Pokemon to shield me

Fortunately, I think they lost me in Amethyst City the other day. Two hours of alternating running and blending in with the tourists paid off. From there, hop on the bus to Topaz, and walk the rest of the way.No one’s bothered me since. I might finally be free and all it took was abandoning my life, my friends, and moving to the edge of nowhere.

I can’t keep doing this. I don’t even know why they want me, or Dad’s work. I can’t even access his work files, I doubt the Elite can.

But right now, I need to think of a plan. This isn’t sustainable. Eventually, I’ll run out of money, and there aren’t exactly a lot of pawn shops around here. If I could only use the Relief Centers, but the Elite put a flag on my ID. The only place in Sinnoh that bothers with IDs and it has to be the one place I need to be.

Wait. They won’t take my ID. But if I were someone else…

Okay, new plan. Become someone else, then figure out what I’m going to do with my life now.

RubyClaw
Conqueror of the Cianwood Gym

May 16th, 2018, 6:34 am #2

Hooray I've been looking forward to reading this run for so long after we talked about it so much! I sadly rarely come to this section of the forums (Written Story Runs) and that would be a great opportunity for me to enjoy and challenge myself with other media types.

I can't wait to see how our games will affect you story, I had a blast playing with you. I'll be extra careful not to say anything that might be a spoiler, though as this is a written run I myself surely don't know everything.

Good luck! Defiantly following.
Generation 1: Blue, Yellow
Generation 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal
Generation 3: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, LeafGreen, FireRed
Generation 4: Diamond, Pearl, SoulSilver
Generation 5: Black Black 2
Generation 6: X
Generation 7: Sun
[+] Spoiler

Banner made by the talented Uberle

Spectacles
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym

May 17th, 2018, 1:15 am #3

hey pretty cool to see a soul link story locke! I'm really interested to see where this is going. and I'm wondering how these two characters who seem so different end up connecting to one another!
Banner by the amazing Shiny Dustox!

A Castlocke featuring the characters of Star Wars, who have been turned into Pokemon. Their coping skills vary.
[+] Spoiler
The Castlocke (includes rulesets for My Little Pony: FIM and Teen Titans)
Les Miserables Castlocke
Wolf's Rain Castlocke
[+] Spoiler
The Kingdomlocke

Uberle
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

May 17th, 2018, 12:57 pm #4

I like this
Though I like the fugitive's part more being honest.
Things will definitely get interesting, I can tell
Not a locke, but still worth checking out
Current Run
Unfamiliar Faces, a White 2 Neverlocke

Sora the Blue man
Conqueror of the Azalea Gym

May 19th, 2018, 1:07 am #5

Ooh,I can't wait till the Soul Link part comes into play,I'm going to guess Ruby's character is the fugitive (Mostly because you said that you were a weenie),and I've done two of my own Soul Links,both failed but can't wait to see how this one goes
[/center]
[+] Spoiler
This is mostly true
Hmm,usually in games
[+] Spoiler

(Gen 1 Complete)
[+] Spoiler
- made by the talented Uberle

estralita

May 20th, 2018, 9:30 pm #6

[+] Replies
Spectacles: I hope to do the concept justice. We might get a hint here.

Uberle: Thanks! And the fugitive's my character, so double thanks.

Sora the Blue man: Well, it doesn't really matter which was which, since I'm writing both. But I'm the weenie, not my character.
[+] The Girl
Kanto had its colors .Johto had it’s plants .And Sinnoh had its jewels.The Elite and other society mons and people pushed the idea that each town was like a precious stone, polished to perfection. Those who repeated this had clearly never been to Peridot Town.

Built smashed up against the shore of Lake Verity, it was less of a town and more a cluster of cheap restaurants and motels with a few houses for actual residents as an afterthought. A few months during the year almost half of Sinnoh poured in to celebrate Gemheart and its ethereal deity of Emotion. Now, in the off season, all that remained were a grasp of locals and discarded trash littering the beach.

And one more girl, who needed a place to lay low.

On this chilly winter morning, she sat on a bench on the docks. Bundled up in a ragged grey coat, and a knit cap covering flame red hair (that was actually a wig), she didn’t look like a fugitive, she hoped. At a glance she might be a local, clueless tourist, or an overzealous pilgrim waiting for a ferry to Candor Island. Glancing up, she could see the lights of the Temple of Mesprit gleaming like a beacon in the grey dawn. No expenses spared to look after a monument to a fake god, but the docks and the Ranger Station meant to keep the actual residents safe was practically falling apart as she watched.

Not that that was a bad thing for her right now. It was the whole reason she was here, after all.

~~~

The day was here. The one that would define her whole life.She probably should be thinking about how momentous the occasion was, and not how glad she was it wasn’t raining. While it was an honor to hold graduation at Verity Memorial, holding the hour-long ceremony outside had its disadvantages. Last year, she had spent days picking the right shoes and dress to celebrate Lissy’s graduation, and rain, high winds and mud ruined the whole thing. At least Lissy was assigned as a Coordinator like she wanted, but it hardly felt like a proper send off for a good friend. But it wasn’t raining. It was perfect. Just perfect.

A burst of clapping brought her to the present. The mayor of Twinleaf yielded to their principal, and she kicked herself for not paying better attention. Yes, it was probably more of the same speeches about the importance of the system and the significance of their placements for the good of Sinnoh, but not listening was still disrespectful. She straightened up and tried to focus. She didn’t want to miss this.

“Clint Abernathy,” Clint shot up like a rocket; so fast he almost lost his balance and knocked over his chair.The crowd let out a titter before the principal’s disapproving glare silenced them. Control reestablished, she returned to her list. “Pokemon Trainer, please step forwards to accept your license and Pokemon.”

Immediately, his eyes found hers. Holding back a laugh, she mouthed “Told you. 10 million.” and nodded towards the podium. Too buoyant to care about his mounting debt, Clint grinned and ran forwards and snatched the ball and license, holding them up as the crowd cheered wildly.

One worry out of the way left the dark haired girl to focus on her main one. The moment was closer than ever, but each name the principal called seemed to last forever. One last time, she mentally checked herself. Her wavy black hair was still falling loose down her back, and her dress was still spotless. No ribbons to tie her hair back today. Not when she was so close to getting the ones that mattered-

A sharp elbow to her ribs brought her out of her imaginings. With all the crowd’s eyes on her, she realized her name had been called.

“Pokemon Trainer. Please step forwards to accept your license and Pokemon."

~~~

Too easy. Early morning, no one was paying attention. Enter the station, ask to use the restroom, and head in. Last time she was here, she had noticed the broken lock on one of the office doors, and it seemed they hadn’t fixed it yet. A quick glance, and she saw exactly what she needed: a computer with a printer.

In Sinnoh, money and power tended to talk more than legal rights, but Relief Centers were the exception. Relief Centers existed in every region, providing free food and medical care for anyone who needed it, and other goods and services at reasonable prices. This kind of assistance was unpopular with the Elite, but if they wanted to remain part of the Inter-Region Trade Commission, Relief Centers were part of the package. To get around that, those in charge made it as difficult to use their services as they could. One of those ways was insisting that Sinnovian Relief Centers were only for Sinnovians, and insisting on some form of ID to prove it. And having inherited some of her mother’s Kantonian looks, she couldn’t guarantee talking around it without something to back it up. And one thing you could get at a Ranger Center was a birth certificate.

Enter her new name, the fake data on parents and hospital, and all the other details. Get the proper paper loaded, then print. Now for the certification stamp… And it wasn’t out.

Trios curse them, they left their electronics still signed in, but it was their rubber stamps they bothered to properly put away? Annoyed, and starting to get anxious, she began to rummage through the drawers.

Papers, pens, rubber bands. No stamp. Next drawer was completely empty, as was the next one. Now she was starting to get worried. Down to the last drawer, and the damn thing stuck. Not now, not when she was so close. She pulled on handle once, then again, harder. She had to get it. With both hands, she yanked even harder. Which is when it all went wrong.

~~~
Visions of hair and ribbons abruptly vanished. Plans for seals and combos died a sudden death. All that was left was those two words, echoing in the dark chamber of her mind.

Pokemon Trainer.

She was going to be a Pokemon Trainer. Like Clint. Throwing balls, commanding teams, mopping up blood, and tramping through the dirty underbrush day after day looking out for Sinnoh’s enemies. Heck, she had never even touched a Poke Ball before now. The idea wasn’t just ludicrous, it was unthinkable. But now…

Now she was sitting on the shores of Lake Verity with the rest of her Graduating Class, in front of the rest of the town. And everyone was looking at her, waiting for her to accept her career placement like everyone else.

Well, only one thing to do. After all, The System had examined her profile, and compared it to the data collected from every other Sinnovian citizen, and the needs of the country as a whole. The System had saved them in the Legendary Wars, and had kept the country together for thousand years. If the system said that Sinnoh needed her to be a Pokemon Trainer and not a Coordinator, then it was her duty as a citizen and human being to follow. Nothing she had wanted before mattered.

The girl formed the edges of her mouth into a smile as applause that somehow seemed hollow sounded. Everyone says today’s the day we face our destiny. She slowly got to her feet, and somehow began to make her way to the stage, where Mayor Rowan held her license, and the Poke Ball that held her first Pokemon. And I will. One way or another.

~~~

Suddenly, the item blocking the drawer snapped, and the drawer flew open with a loud crash. The unexpected release caused the girl to fall back on her ass and her wig to fall askew. As she reached up to straighten it, she heard footsteps rapidly approaching.

Trying to get her bearings, she started rummaging through the pile of miscellaneous items that spilled from the drawer. Maybe something there would help her get out of this. As she shuffled papers, something unexpected fell loose.

A Poke Ball. More than that, one that was occupied, and locked to keep the pokemon from leaving. She couldn’t believe it. Sure, she knew some Pokemon revellers got arrested and put into Poke Balls, but then just leaving the mon in there and locking it in a drawer? Did they want to get sued? How long had it been in there anyway?

The footsteps were getting louder, and she was running out of options. Whoever you are, I’m betting you won’t hate me more than them.

~~~
Two Worlds. Two versions of Sinnoh. And two girls… or was it one?

On the shores of Lake Verity, the dark haired girl reached for the Poke Ball.

And for a second, the worlds connected.

Sora the Blue man

May 20th, 2018, 11:10 pm #7

Ooh,two worlds,I wonder if the MC's are going to meet/figure out about one another,because in a Soullink,it would be confusing for a trainer's mon to die from a sudden heartattack at a young age
[/center]
[+] Spoiler
This is mostly true
Hmm,usually in games
[+] Spoiler

(Gen 1 Complete)
[+] Spoiler

Rumors
Johto League Champion
Johto League Champion

May 24th, 2018, 4:38 pm #8

I have to say, the concept of a "Soul Link" run seems pretty interesting. Though definitely not something you'd wanna do with someone not great at Pokemon games. ...or, I guess, specifically do so if you're addicted to challenge.

The premise for the story so far seems interesting. Parallel worlds that might be influencing each other? Or at the very least, having similar events at similar times. Kinda reminds me of a concept someone told me years and years ago where the protagonist lived one life and, when they went to sleep, they shifted to another world in another life and would switch back on sleeping and neither "self" was aware of the other world until some time later in the plot. Dunno if it was ever written though.

Anyway, so far the individual scenarios seem pretty standard, one being the "government chooses your job/social status/clan/etc." plotline and the fugitive plotline in the other. Seeing how they'll intersect will be the interesting bit. Though writing this seems like it'll be tricky as you'll essentially be writing two stories at once and need to ensure that they'll both have the same focus and maintain the same interest in the reader, so I'll be curious to see how you execute on the concept.

Also, you may consider getting a table of contents up in the first post, as it'll make things much easier on readers trying to navigate the story later on once you have a lot of chapters or, if you get popular, a lot of comments per update.

In any case, if you guys aren't done playing the game play portion yet, good luck to you both!

Abridged: Episode 1 | 9/13/18

Uberle

June 1st, 2018, 1:24 pm #9

Parallels are fun to read
On one hand we have a dystopian like world with a girl struggling to survive
On the other you've got a fairly normal world with a girl excited about starting her journey
And nice cliff hanger
This'll be interesting
Current Run

DistortionLocke
Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Conqueror of the Viridian Gym

June 2nd, 2018, 3:38 pm #10

Oh shi—this is looking good so far! Can’t wait to see where you go with it.

"Sandanbeki Rock Cliff -1 (June 2018)" by Tetsuhiro Terada is licensed under CC BY 4.0/Text added onto original photo
[+] Spoiler
"Crown 3" by mjtmail (tiggy) is licensed under CC BY 4.0/Text added onto original photo

estralita

June 3rd, 2018, 4:48 pm #11

[+] Replies! Yay!
Sora the Blue Man: Yes, it would be...

Rumors: Yeah, it isn't exactly an easy challenge, especially over the internet. This is actually my third attempt. Luckily, RubyClaw is a great partner.
I wasn't sure if I should do a ToC when there were only a few updates, so thanks for letting me know!
I hope to make the worlds my own as things go on. Intersection will happen.
In terms of where we're at, we've gotten far enough that I feel I can make a good story from what we have.

Uberle: They're also fun to write. Normal is relative.

DistortionLocke: Wait no more!
[+] Partners
Footsteps were only getting louder. She was out of sight for the moment, behind the desk, but it was obvious from the mess that someone was there. No time to consider consequences now, just smack the cheap ball on the ground and break the lock on the damn thing.

With a crack, and a woosh, a very confused Chimchar burst out. Almost at the same time, the door burst open and a voice called out, “Freeze!”

Reflexively they both held. The only things moving being the tiny flame on his tail, and their pursuer, breathing hard. Any moment, she expected him to enter and catch them, but instead he shuffled indecisively at the door.

Realizing the boy wasn’t coming in,Chimchar relaxed. He even started to speak. “Free-”

“Shhh!” In a panic, the girl attempted to cover his mouth, and ended up shoving her hand halfway into his mouth. She expected him to bite her, but instead his just rolled his eyes, irritating her further. Now was not the time for snark.

A flash of red light and the sound of a Poke Ball opening came cut them off. “Cadet, what is the meaning of this?! I told you to never disturb me on my breaks!”

“Sir! I’m sorry, sir!”

“Sorry doesn’t pay the bills, Cadet! What do you have to say for yourself!?”

While the Cadet stumbled out a response containing an abundance of sirs, the girl risked a peek. The Cadet was younger than she expected, maybe her age or a year younger. His Peridot Ranger uniform hung on his slim frame, and he was even wearing the stupid red cap and scarf the Rangers never actually wore. The Pokemon he released turned out to be an old molting Starly, looking up at him with undisguised disdain. Not exactly a Champion to be, but that didn’t mean she should take them lightly.

This time Chimchar did bite down on her hand, not hard, but enough to get her attention. His annoyed stare seemed to say to her “I get it, don't talk. You think I’m that stupid?” Not wanting her hand bitten or burned off, she pulled it back. He looked up at her curiously. Waiting.

She swallowed her irritation, pride, and fear. "Help.” She whispered. “Please.”

In response, he smirked and gave a quick wink, before baring his claws. Hoping that was a good sign, she whispered, “Not yet.”

“I know, sir!” His voice cracked from the stress. “But there’s an intruder, sir! I heard them sneaking in here, breaking things!”

She could hear exasperation in the gruff response. “Then go ahead and get them, Cadet! Do you need me to carry you every step of the way?”

“But I haven’t made visual contact, sir! The intruder might have a gun, or-”

“Fine! I’ll get them out, you keep watch here.Useless humans.” It was time to move. Chimchar seemed to agree, shuffling off to the side. His tail burned low, presumably to keep the light from giving them away. He found refuge behind a stack of boxes near the back, as she slid underneath the desk, trying to get out of line of sight of the approaching Starly. Closer and closer.

Then, Chimchar pounced, scratching wildly. Feathers flew and the Starly squawked in surprise and pain. “Gettoff, Gettoff!” He yelled, twisting wildly to throw Chimchar off or smack him into a wall.

“Hey, hey!” The Cadet ran up to the fighting pair, and reached to pull them apart, but all that got him was claws in his face, a talon in his arm, and a buttload of curses from his superior.

The now three-way scuffle seemed like her cue. Grab the stamp and ink pad scattered on the floor, and stuff it in the bag. Same with the birth certificate. Now to get out while the guards were distracted.

Turning his attention back to the Chimchar, Starly started hitting back. Hard. Chimchar was practially glued to his back, so he rammed him into the wall. Chimchar looked dazed, but kept his grip.

Now was time for her to go already. He could probably handle getting caught. He was a Chimchar, for effs sake.

Chimchar kept scratching, but she could see the swipes getting weaker.

If she got caught, they’d figure out who she was, and the Elites would come. For all she knew, he was Flint’s cousin. In Sinnoh, those guys were more powerful and connected than Arceus himself.

The Cadet, slightly staggered from the earlier attacks, recovered enough to return to the fight. Two on one.

Right.

Time to come up with a plan. There must be something she could pull out of her bag to help. Before running she had shoved everything that could possibly be useful to her in her unassuming grey purse. Several sprung to mind, and one to her hand. But if she wanted to use it, she needed to get in close to even have a chance.

And it needed to be now, since Starly had succeeded in loosening Chimchar’s grip with constant flailing. Chimchar responded by clawing him with his free hand, but the Cadet was soon there, getting a hold of pull him off. The Chimchar was strong, but so small. He couldn't hold out forever.

Fwweet!

All fighting stopped, as the Cadet and Starly turned to her with a start. She fixed them with a cool stare, and replaced the whistle. “Two trained rangers couldn’t subdue a single first stage Pokemon. What kind of operation are you running here?”

The Cadet remained frozen, as Starly blustered. “Wha- well that’s absurd! Who are you, anyway?

She raised an eyebrow. “Internal Affairs ring a bell? That’s my partner you’re holding by the leg.” At this, the Cadet immediately dropped Chimchar and straightened. As he fell, Chimchar flipped to his feet and actually pulled a badge out to confirm it, conveniently with his thumb obscuring the picture.

Glad Chimchar caught on so quickly, she continued. “You were informed of our tests coming.” The receptionists certainly were, gossiping in the bathrooms rather loudly. And judging by how he deflated, Starly was aware too.

“Oh, I- it was next-”

“You’re Rangers! You should always be ready!” Starly shrunk back from her (hopefully) intimidating gaze, feathers loosened by the fight falling off as he did so. “What do you have to say for yourself?”

The Starly started stammering, but Chimchar cut him off. “Time enough for excuses at your performance review later. As you were!”

“Yes sir! And ma’am!” Hastily, the Cadet pulled out his superior’s ball, and recalled him. He turned to the girl and she felt a small pang of regret. His eyes brimmed with sincerity and earnestness as he saluted and approached. “More is expected of a Ranger. Do you want my resignation, or should I wait for the dismissal?”

Okay, that was a bit much. “There’s no need, Cadet. Just be more careful next time.”

But that apparently wasn’t enough reassurance, as he began scrambling through his pockets. “ I assume you’ll at least need my ID number-” But no ID came out of his pockets.

While he searched Chimchar casually dropped the badge and began strolling towards the door, it hit her where exactly he obtained that badge. And as the Cadet glanced down at Chimchar, and his eyes widened, it seemed the same thought occurred to him. “Wait-”

No more waiting. They were too close to give up now. She dropped her sympathy, and grabbed his arm, activating her last resort. The Nuzzlator Hand tazer might only irritate a Pokemon, but it could paralyze a human for up to half an hour. He dropped like a stone, electricity still crackling around him.

The regret returned as she saw him twitch on the ground. He was just doing his job. She scooped up the badge and glanced at the name. Lucas Baker. “I’m sorry, Lucas. Next time, I’ll make it up to you.”

“Hey,you coming, ‘Partner’?”Chimchar called from the hall. She quickly dropped the badge on Cadet Baker’s hand, and left.

‘Partner’. It had been a long time since she had a partner. But for some reason, here and now with this Pokemon, it felt right.

~~~~~
Poke Balls always looked bigger on tv. Right now, it barely filled her palm, but it held a living breathing Pokemon. Her starter Pokemon. Fingers trembling, she pressed the button, and released him.

The red beam solidified, taking physical shape. A Piplup looked up at her with half lidded eyes. He studied her, but didn’t say anything. So it was up to her to take charge. She cleared her throat, and held out her hand to shake, “Hello I’m your new partner. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Slowly, the Piplup raised his flipper to meet her hand. “The pleasure is yours.”

Sora the Blue man

June 4th, 2018, 7:36 pm #12

Oh my god,I love the starters,so far the Chimchar is the best but Piplup could be great when it gets its own time to flesh itself out,good work here
[/center]
[+] Spoiler
This is mostly true
Hmm,usually in games
[+] Spoiler

(Gen 1 Complete)
[+] Spoiler

Uberle

June 4th, 2018, 9:05 pm #13

How to bluff
Always a useful skill
Though can very very very easily go wrong
Always a bit of a coin flip
Current Run

Rumors
Johto League Champion
Johto League Champion

June 16th, 2018, 3:59 pm #14

Interesting to see the trainer... or well ranger, in this case being subservient to their Pokemon. Outside of Lavender Tower Channelers, doesn't seem to be a thing that happens all that much in the Pokeverse. And even then, the canon instance I'm aware of was possession rather than a job. There's also the fact here that trainers get involved in the battle too. Makes me wonder if Pokemon are as powerful as they're usually protrayed, if they're weaker, or humans are just stronger in this universe.

Or if that kid was reckless.

The second part of the chapter though, I'll be honest, feels incomplete. Kind like it's tacked on to remind us the other world exists and nothing else. I can understand not giving each side equal attention every chapter, but I feel something a little more than a couple of introductions are needed to justify that bit there. Otherwise, the bit could be hacked off and the rest of the chapter would be no worse for it.

Either way, guess it looks like next time we'll be seeing Piplup's world how much better, or worse, that situation is.

Abridged: Episode 1 | 9/13/18

estralita

July 20th, 2018, 4:12 pm #15

I am really sorry this took so long. Inspiration fades sometimes, and laziness reigns triumphant. But my goal is to update every other week, and I think I'm ready to give it another shot.
[+] Spoiler
Sora the blue man: Well, I hope I can keep it up.

Uberle: Always a risk, but in some you don't have much to lose by trying.

Rumors: I really appreciate your throughful comments. Now we get to see bits of the other side of the coin.

I'll keep that in mind. I do have another bit I was considering adding on this for the other word, but that runs into the same problem. I might have to do a second update this week so I can get everything established properly and move on.
[+] Names
Sinnoh’s newest defender slumped against the withered tree, eyes closed in a futile attempt to block out the world. It was all too much. Too many camera flashes, too many babbling voices, too many people crowding against her as she made her way through the crowd. She needed time to think. To adjust to...this. But she was needed. Johanna was hosting the graduation party for her as well as Clint, and all night people had been offering them congratulations and advice. When they weren't asking what their assignments were, when they would be leaving, what kind of teams they were going to build... Clint, of course, had all the right answers. He could talk for hours about tactics and teambuilding, and normally, she’d be fine with listening, since his enthusiasm was so infectious. But she couldn't depend on Clint forever.

Clint. He was the only one who knew, who understood how she was feeling. That was why he was covering for her while she got some space outside the party. If one more person told her they didn’t know she had it in her...

But that was the thing. She didn’t know either. And if she was one-hundred percent honest, she still didn’t know.

She shifted her weight against the tree, only for her new supplies to dig into her side. She hadn’t even looked at them since receiving them. Her license, a Pokedex, and… Piplup’s Poke Ball. Her partner’s Poke Ball. In all the bustle since the ceremony, he’d completely slipped her mind. Coordinators didn’t pair with Pokemon until late into their training, so she hadn’t been prepared to- But she wasn’t a Coordinator. She had other duties, and she was already failing. Nearly dropping the ball in her haste, she released her partner.

To her relief, Piplup didn’t appear distressed or angry as he materialized in front of her. Instead, he stretched his stubby wings ( or was it flippers?) and gazed around the area. “How long was I in there?” he mumbled, almost to himself.

“Almost four hours.It won’t happen again, I-”

Piplup half snorted. “I’m sure.”

Well, what did you say to that? She didn’t know, so instead the two of them just stood there, under the tree in silence. Piplup scuffed the ground, sniffed the air, and looked everywhere but at her. Finally, he broke the silence. “So, did you want something, boss?” He asked flatly
Any half thought out reply caught in her throat at that. “I- what?”

“Well, you summoned me. What do you need me to do? Seems like it’s a bit late in the day for recruitment. Are we jumping right into a scouting mission?”

“Mission?”She trailed off, trying to gather her thoughts. A mission already? Should she have a goal set, or a plan in mind? Clint didn’t, but he was always good at improvisation-

“Mission, plan, ideals. However you like to put it. You’re the trainer, it’s your job to make the decisions, and mine as the Pokemon to listen." Piplup stared intently up at the tree as he spoke in a deliberate monotone, as if he was reciting something learned by rote. “I listen, and obey, boss.”

Something in his tone, or his words sparked a small bit of defiance in her. That couldn’t be right. At least for her. “Rue.”

That caught his attention. “Excuse me?!” He cried out, eye furrowed as he reflexively looked her in the face. That furrow only deepened as she started to kneel next to him.

At that moment, it really struck her how small Piplup was. Even on her knees, it wasn’t quite enough and he had to crane his neck to look her in the eye.. He couldn’t be more than a foot high. And even she knew that new trainers were matched with untrained Pokemon, so their skill would grow together. This was the Pokemon she was supposed to lead into battle? Right now it felt like he could be dispatched by a well placed kick. And yet he seemed more ready for training than she was. She need to start this off right. “No boss, or anything like that. We’re both new to this, so we re all on the same footing, My name is Rue, and anything we plan, we work on together. Okay?”

This time Piplup didn’t look away. A trace of suspicion crossed his face, and it was his turn to stand in silence, beak wordlessly opening and closing. But finally, he replied. “Okay, then. What sort of plan do you have in mind...Rue?”

Rue’s stomach unclenched slightly in relief. “Introductions first. So you know who I am and what I can do.Then maybe you could tell me something about yourself? Like, I’m Rue Evans, you’re…”

His guarded expression faded slightly, replaced with a slight aura of bemusement. “Okay, I guess that works. Although, while I appreciate the gesture, you know referring to me by anything other than my State-Chosen nickname will get us both in trouble, right?”

Of course. Even she knew that. Well, on a good day. And if she had bothered to look at her Pokedex earlier like she was supposed to… Rue yanked it out, and went straight for the team section, heart beating faster as she scrolled through the options. There he was, right at the top. First on her team.

Vanity the Piplup
Lonely nature,
Dislikes: Dry food

Notes:A poor walker, it often falls down. However, its strong pride makes it puff up its chest without a care.

“Well, I never!” Piplup ( or Vanity’s) exclamation caused Rue to fall backwards in surprise. “I swear, these things are randomly generated. You eat a single Liechi berry, and it follows you forever. And Vanity? You think I’m at all vain or prideful?” He turned from his pacing to ask her, chest swelled with indignation. But he was looking her in the eye.

“I-I couldn’t say.”

Sora the Blue man

July 20th, 2018, 9:27 pm #16

I love Varity,he's a joy as is Rue,both are sweethearts,oh boy,can't wait for the Soul Link part to come into play
[/center]
[+] Spoiler
This is mostly true
Hmm,usually in games
[+] Spoiler

(Gen 1 Complete)
[+] Spoiler

Uberle

July 23rd, 2018, 2:03 am #17

Vanity
Yep that seems about right

wrote:Notes:A poor walker, it often falls down. However, its strong pride makes it puff up its chest without a care.

"Well, I never!" Piplup ( or Vanity's) exclamation caused her to fall backwards.
pft
I liked this line a lot.
Looking forward to meeting new members as you go along.
Current Run

estralita

August 13th, 2018, 3:28 am #18

A very happy Birthday to Rubyclaw! Let's celebrate with a special dialogue only update!
[+] Replies
Sora the blue man: They're both fun to write
Well,this part should be the last onebefore we can dive into the main play *ominous laugh*

Uberle: That's actually his Platinum pokedex entry. I thought it was too apt to not include.
One more part...
[+] Spoiler
“Hey, next time ask before you recall!

"If there had been time, I would have."

"Fine. So, how’d it- Whoa! Look at you!”

“I think we're in the clear now. Best way out is through the bathroom window. A quick change, and I’m just a clueless tourist with no Chimchar in sight. No reason to look twice. Especially since, for all they know, my confederates Teleported us off to a secure mansion on the Diamond Coast.”

“And I’m guessing that’s not what we’re planning on doing next?”

“I’m on my own.”

“Well, not anymore, you’re not.”

“Excuse me? Who said-”

“Nobody, but it makes sense. Safety in numbers. Plus, neither of us could have gotten out without the other. I got the fire, and you got the Bottomless Bag of Delight."

"Wha-"

"I'm guessing you tried to scrape the logo? Might want to try again. Palkia Brand can take a real beating."

"I don't need advice from you?"

"How about someone to talk to? I know how lonely things can get, believe me."

“I-I suppose. I’ve been on my own for awhile. But if you betray me-”

“Hey, I’ve got my own reasons to lay low! Another reason to team up: we’re already in too deep to sell the other out.”

“A benefit of the fugitive.”

“Great! So, you got a name?”

“Probably.”

“Well, you gonna give me something to call you, Thief Girl?”

“...”

“If not, I’m gonna have to come up with something to call you. What do you think of Veruca Plasticine von Grubbstein-”

“Faith.”

“Eh?”

“My name.”

“Really? Just like that?”

“The name on my new birth certificate is Faith Dubois. Call me Faith.”

“That was the name you chose? Gotta say I hadn’t thought you’d be a person of Faith, what with the lies, and the stealing-”

“Like you’re one to talk when it comes to theft and lies.”

“What? Come on, I’m totally trustworthy. Truth is my middle name! And Reliable is my clan!”

“Of the North Alabaster Reliables?”

“You know it!

“Right. We need to get going, Truth. Get my license, then head to Topaz-”

“Then what?”

“Lie low. We did just rob a Ranger Station. The last thing we need right now is to attract more attention.”

“Then why are you wearing-”

“The wrong kind of attention. You know what I mean. Now, are we going to get movingor do you want to stay in the disgusting alley all day?

“Disgusting? These are perfectly good Tamato berries they threw away. And-

“Truth…”

“Kidding! Lead on, ye of little Faith.”

Vivace
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym

August 13th, 2018, 1:54 pm #19

I always wanted to do a soul link, but my fluctuating schedule always got in the way. This is very interesting, so I'll keep an eye on this!

"Lead on, ye of little Faith."
Love it :xd:
[+] Completed Runs

What's a Summerlocke without a bit of meme magic?

whoops there go all muh pokemans (Gym 3 faced) (Credit to karmarsi for the banner!)

This other little run is how I got my heart I guess, though it should really go in failed runs ?\_(ツ)_/?
[+] Failed Runs

[Updated 9/6/15]
Credit to Perfect Apple for the Linklocke banner!

[Chapter 19; Updated 30/3/15]
Credit to Kodart for the Fennekin's Folly banner!

Staying Sharp: Koopa's Run of Iridescent!
My first screenshot run; incomplete for various reasons including technical difficulties, lost save files, and death. Lots and lots of death.
[+] Need a pick-me-up?

Send me some images if you'd like them added to the rotator!

RubyClaw

August 13th, 2018, 1:58 pm #20

Thank you so much!

Ah, Faith and Truth, the beginning of a wonderful friendship?
Generation 1: Blue, Yellow
Generation 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal
Generation 3: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, LeafGreen, FireRed
Generation 4: Diamond, Pearl, SoulSilver
Generation 5: Black Black 2
Generation 6: X
Generation 7: Sun
[+] Spoiler

Banner made by the talented Uberle