Forum rules
Post your nuzlocke here! This is the section for written story runs. If your run is not a story so much as a direct recounting of events, you want the Screenshot and Written Log section [url=http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/forum/3017482/]here. [/url] If your story does not follow the core Nuzlocke rules, it goes in [url=http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/forum/3033771/]Other Adventures. [/url]

Good luck and happy nuzlocking!

Distorted World Link (a Touhoumon run)

SeaMaid
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym

September 22nd, 2016, 7:37 am #1

Summary:
A century has passed since the Java region finally got into contact with the other regions. Many of the so-called Bonéka living there - short, doll-like humanoids capable of Pokémon-like feats -migrated to the regions that would accept them, eventually carving out a niche of their own in the Hoennese culture as battlers. Among them is Diana, who just wanted to learn how to fight for self-defense, but joined a team challenging the League after the adrenaline went to her head. As Diana travels along with the team through Hoenn and gets to know them better, she comes to realise something: the one thing harder than fighting other people is fighting yourself and your past.
Table of Contents:
(Note: 'Chapters' change when I receive a new badge. Parts are individual updates.
There is a prologue further down in the post.)
Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3
Part 1 Part 1 Part 1
Part 2 Part 2 Part 2
Part 3 Part 3 Part 3
Part 4 Part 4 Part 4
Part 5 Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Useful things to know about the setting before reading can be found in the spoiler below.
[+] Spoiler
Geography: mostly based on GenIII - no canon regions other than Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn make an appearance. However, Pokémon who were introduced in later Gens and available in these regions' remakes may appear. There's also the issue of...

Java: a fanmade region featured in the hack which this nuzlocke is based on. In this particular fic, it serves as the homeland of the Bonéka, a third faction along humans and Pokémon. Like Gijinka, they have human-like forms and can use moves like Pokémon; however, Bonéka have much shorter lifespans, are pretty much living dolls that can't eat or drink, and have to concentrate their powers into so-called Spellcards to fight. Their rights and reputation vary by region, to put it lightly... Which will be explored in the fic itself.

Linguistics: Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn follow the rule of "a language is a dialect with its own army" - in other words, people from Johto would be able to understand Hoennese with minor difficulties due to specific words and pronunciations being different. However, the Javan language is vastly different from any of them.
Note that this is a crossover between Pokémon and Touhou, courtesy of the hack World Link by Aichiya Sanae. You don't have to know anything about Touhou to read this; however, if you're curious, you can visit the Touhou Wiki for more info.

Today's music:

Prologue:
[+] Spoiler
   "[...] Our ancestors of the last milleniae believed that this planet had two main factions, which later on were split into halves, themselves.

They were us humans, who have remained divided into Mainlanders and Hoennese even after modern technology allows us to travel the regions effortlessly. And they were the Pokémon, who over time have been given the labels of 'tameable' or 'mythological'.

It wasn't until the end of year 2021 that we were proven wrong.

Heavy storms struck the eastern areas of Hoenn; a severe cyclone swept over what would later be named Ever Grande Island. Once they had calmed down, people from the Mossdeep Science Center were sent out to see how the cyclone had affected the island's Pokémon population.

Near the island's northern end, they found debris from a shipwreck floating around. "We've found two humans and about a dozen beings - there is no other word for it," their reports say (Briney Sr. 2021); "They're about a head shorter than us. Their noses and upper lip seem to have merged together, their eyes like that of a child's drawing. Some of them even have traits of Pokémon, like tails or ears! They and the obviously human survivors appear to speak the same language, but it is not ours. What on Earth are they?"

They were what we nowadays call Bonéka, hailing from the Java region.

Since then, the Javans have had quite the impact on our history as a whole, as you will notice in the rest of this chapter [...]"

And that's basically it. So what do you think? I'm wondering if the description's a bit too dramatic for a history book... But then again, that was a dramatic changing point in everyone's lives, wasn't it!

Can't wait to see you again,
   Jonathan Birch

==-==

The draft came back to Jonathan's house days later, this time with an Olivinian stamp on the front and comments in green marker all over it.

He always thought it was a fine tradition to write his drafts by hand, and to ask certain friends to give him their feedback in the same manner. Sure, it would take a few days for the letters to travel each way, and doing it by e-mail was probably much cheaper... But if he didn't have all his work stored on the PC at the laboratory, he could get a bit of work done on his off-time.

For instance, if he was waiting for his kid to come home from a party on a Friday night. In other words: right now.

Where the heck was she? It was only supposed to be a short trek to Oldale, wasn't it? Sure, it could take up to an hour to bike to Oldale, but with his home in Littleroot lying straight at the bottom of a valley, you could easily cut that hour down by half on the way home by letting go of the brakes and hoping nobody would get in the way. And sure, he may have crashed into the side of the road once or twice due to a Linoone suddenly popping up right in front of him... But still, he could always make it home afterwards, and Renko was perceptive enough about her surroundings that it shouldn't be a problem!

... What was he on about? Better get back to proofreading the proofreading.

He had pretty much gone through the whole draft again before he heard noises from the front door. A grin spread on his face as he stood up and prepared to open the door for her. "Evening, Renko! How was-"

"Listen, I don't even know where to start with this." Renko sprinted into the hall, threw her trademark hat onto the wall, missed the hat holder by a mile, and zipped over to the kitchen area of the room. "I wasn't planning on this either, but there she is, tryin'a force something on me just 'cause I'm-"

"Wait, who's visiting us?!"

A slow drawl with a lot of stuttering came from the hall. "Sorry to intrude..." The girl - no, the woman? - was probably the size of little Calvin down the street, so his first thought was that she must be a Bonéka. But once she put her shoes away (neatly, at that), she walked straight up to Jonathan and raised her hand as if to shake his. Now that he had a good look on her face, he saw that she was distinctly human, with a snubby nose and... Whatever that makeup you put on your eyelids was called. "Good evening," she said, "arn't you the..."

Renko cut her off, as shaky in her Javan as the stranger was in her Hoennese. "{I said he understood Javan, didn't I?}"

"{Ah, my apologies.}" And suddenly, she moved on to rapid-fire speech. "{Pleased to meet you, Professor. You may call me Ms. Ishii: I'm here on behalf of Saboten Industries.}"

'... What,' Jonathan - no, Birch, he apparently had to be professional now - thought. Had he heard any of those names before? He must have, right? If you were in Java and hadn't been travelling before that migration law was passed fourteen years ago, you had to be pretty darn special to come over with no warning...

Renko very reluctantly told Ishii to have a seat, and Birch followed, trying to spark his memory. When he thought of Java in modern times, there was...

"{... Oh! Weren't you the ones who- er-}" What was the word for robotics in Javan, again? - "{You made that Tensomething-or-other?}"

Ishii sighed. "{Yes. But I was sent here for a far more important project, and we had some unforeseen problems. So we thought, someone who went as far as to adopt someone from my region might want to help us mend some broken bridges... Would you?}"

Birch tried to ignore Renko's increasingly annoyed face in the corner of his eye. "{What with?}"

Ishii opened up the comically oversized bag slung over her shoulder and eventually found a Pokéball... Well, something similar to one, anyway. The red and white halves weren't neatly divided, but separated by a thick wavy line, and rather than one big button, it seemed to have a whole board of buttons.  "{In this, I have my translator. And as your daughter helpfully explained to me earlier... 'It's trash, basically'.}"

... Yeah, that sounded like Renko, alright. Renko shrunk together in her seat, but Birch waved that comment off with an "it's OK, sweetie, I understand."

"{But the situation isn't hopeless. We programmed it to collect data on the language used nearby, which it has managed to do so far. Ideally, I would travel the whole region to make the translations as accurate as possible, but...}"

Huh. That almost sounded like what Birch himself would have done if he had chosen the same career... "{'But'?}"

"{While the project hasn't been officially cancelled, I have been asked to return home post-haste. I now need a volunteer.}" Ishii coughed, then leaned forward and stared at Birch. "{Evidently, your child hates the idea despite being the ideal choice, but would you consider finding someone in her stead?}"

"{Hmm... What qualifications do they need?}"

"{As long as they can be trusted not to lose the Orb, not brag about their mission to any and all, and report back to either me or you regularly.}"

Birch rubbed his stubble and hummed again. If they could create a fully functional translator, the language barrier wouldn't be a big problem at all. There were so many ways that could help people nowadays, let alone him, if he wanted to study their history closer. But- did he know any people who would want to travel just for that? Were there any others planning on challenging the League, other than Renko? What about that friend of hers that was supposed to be at the party today...?

"{... Hmm, I think I know a couple. Can't hurt to ask, can it!}"
AUTHOR'S NOTES
What's this? Birch not getting injured when we first meet him?!

Yes, Renko is his adoptive kid, and in the 'locke there's no longer a mum in the picture. In the hack, rather than getting to choose between Brendan and May, you get to choose between 'Maribel' Hearn ('Maribel' in quotations 'cause reasons) or Renko Usami as PCs. They keep their full names, but the hack still has them as Birch's and Norman's kids, respectively. Renko is adopted, and Maribel... You'll see, at some point. As for the mum? If you let Renko become the rival, her mum will still refer to Renko as her son.

Yep, an oversight on Aichiya's part. But how was I supposed to interpret this in-story? There are SO MANY WAYS, and all of them are depressing.
Somehow, in the process of trying to choose between those ways, I accidentally erased her adoptive mum. And it's a bit late to put her back in now... Whoops.

Who's this Ishii pleb, then? She's another character from the hack. Her overworld sprite is a pretty woman (you know, green dress with apron and all that), but her battle sprite a little schoolgirl's! She fights you really early on in a battle that's just a steaming pile of bullshit due to BST values. At least she gives you an equally overpowered gift afterwards! ... That I couldn't use because nuzlocke rules. Hence this whole prologue.
Got any questions? PM/comment/ask me! I might compile it all into a FAQ at some point in the future.

FANWORKS (thank you so much! :sun:):
Last edited by SeaMaid on August 31st, 2018, 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

warrain
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym

September 23rd, 2016, 7:53 am #2

this is crazy. I just so happened to have followed your link from another locke and low and behold i show up only minutes after you post. creepy. I didn't understand how to go about this honestly. I knew you had music, but I thought the other link was pictures or screen captures or something.... I didn't realize I should've had the music playing while reading the prologue. well I know for future references now. that's some story already.
3DS

Switch

SeaMaid

September 23rd, 2016, 9:45 am #3

That happens, man, don't worry about it.
I went back and edited the first post so it'd be a bit clearer what the links actually do. Did it work?[edit_reason]Removed the sig.[/edit_reason]
CURRENT AVATAR: a drawing of Zizou from Legend of Dark Witch, as drawn by Famimatsu

Music Thread | SoundCloud | Music tumblr

Want a storylocke of a "soul-crushing" hake along with that hobbyist music? This one's gonna come back someday I swear:

I'm also responsible for the one and only HarvestCraft run on these forums if you want a chill experience.
(that one's on semi-official hiatus though, sorry;;)

Tapu Lele
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym

September 23rd, 2016, 12:58 pm #4

This looks great so far! Better than mine. Anyways I will keep on reading this. Also while I did not play this as much as Another World and despite some awful things happen in Another World didn't cause me to Rage Quit was because it was a bit fair under circumstances (ELilyWhite using Flash to take down ZReimu FTW, not that it is a smart strategy), I will still may have some rants about a couple of upcoming things. Though interesting that you give them their on language. On since I'm leaving this comment on your birthday (seriously the board has a thing for Birthdays on the index), so happy birthday! Also wouldn't have known you already had this if you didn't post somewhere in National Park.[edit_reason]Grammar fix and rewording[/edit_reason]

Name: Tilia
Adopt one yourself! @Pok?mon Orphanage

stuff I have no room for
[+] Spoiler

Drymus
Indigo League Champion
Indigo League Champion

September 26th, 2016, 9:17 pm #5

I swear I meant to read this on Thursday...

I have to say, the music took away almost all the stress that was building up over the day. A very nice intro piece.

A nice origin story for the Puppets as well.

Good luck on the test!

SeaMaid

September 29th, 2016, 10:04 am #6

Hey again!

Essentially, this update is an infodump about how Bonéka work differently. Plain and simple. But like I did with the backstory, rather than just dump you in person, I tried writing it as if someone in-universe did. If this practice rings any bells from a certain other 'locke, it should. If you haven't read it, I think you should give it a go once you're done here!

In response to what warrain wrote:I already replied to your comment earlier, but I think I forgot to say "thanks for leaving the first comment!". So thanks! Hope you stick around for a bit.
In response to what Doopliss wrote:Oh, yes, Flash is VERY good in this hack. Damage + Accuracy hax in general have saved me more than I care to admit...
There's a lot to rant about in World Link, right?! I'll try keeping it to a minimum until I get to one particular plot point which I'm still salty about, but feel free to rant away in my place. (Just put it under a spoiler if it's too long.)

I kinda had to give them their own language. First off, I'm a bit of a language nerd. Second, them talking in their second language is a better way to justify their odd phrasing at times than 'they're all just stupid' or something similar. Third, [SPOILERS].
Thanks for the 'happy birthday'! I had a good time.
In response to what Drymus wrote:how dare you not read it on the first day when I barely promo it. you monster >:( Just kidding, I'm glad you came around to it at all, pal!
More importantly, I'm so happy I could help someone have a less bad day straight away... You have no idea. It's really inspiring.

There's more to their origin... How much? Nobody knows :3:

Unfortunately, we don't get any music this time around...
[+] Spoiler
[This message has been automatically sent to anyone registered as an employer in Kanto.]

(Even if you are not an employee and this was sent to you by error, it is recommended that you read this thoroughly.)

In accordance to the voting results of the current year, the Bonéka Immigration Act is about to be put into motion. From tomorrow on, Bonéka will be allowed to settle permanently in the Kanto region at will. (Observe, however, that the Migration act does not include Johto.)

What this means for you as an employer is that Bonéka may apply for permanent positions at your department. Because of this, it is of utmost importance that you be reminded of their capabilities and limits.

Abilities: As is common knowledge, Bonéka are assigned various species; these are nearly always strictly based on which ability and hull they were born with. For example, Reimu Bonéka have the standard hull, and can levitate despite their lack of wings. As of this writing, more than 70 abilities have been reported. What ability your potential recruit has can hinder or aid them at work, so make sure you understand what it is and what those can lead to.

Appearance:  A Bonéka's clothes are, technically speaking, like a second layer of skin; they connect to their skin near the neck and waist (and on another spot along the leg among the part of the population born with trouser-like appendages). In addition, certain types have wings or other extremities that would make a standard uniform impossible to wear above their other "skin".

Durability: Unlike us humans, damage done to their bodies won't heal through Resting. In addition, their pain threshold is high enough that they may not notice small injuries (for example, papercuts). If there is any risk of injury at the job, make sure they can bring materials to heal themselves (see below) and that they have an assigned partner that can help them notice injuries/repair them.

Lifespan: How long Bonéka live seems to vary on a case-to-case basis. While some allegedly have survived for more than half a century, their average age upon death is reportedly as low as 25-30 years.

The 'Hull': Bonéka "skin" takes the form of various common materials. It's the hull and the shield that determines what type a Bonéka is -- and in turn, what they would be suitable for. To use the ever-so-popular Water/Grass/Fire triangle as an example:

Grass Bonéka should stay as far away from fire as possible due to their wooden hulls. However, said hull is surprisingly sturdy, with most physical injuries (under a certain treshold) healed simply through applying varnish.

Fire Bonéka have a hollow hull like fired clay which withstands great heat, but would break when put under pressure that a Grass one could withstand.

Water types have plastic hulls which can't withstand the heat nor take the pressure, but unlike nearly any other type, they can interact with water safely. There are reports of Water Bonéka diving for hours and coming back unharmed.

Spellcard usage: Most spellcards simply allow the Bonéka to use moves not entirely unlike those of Pokémon. If a Bonéka is causing trouble for their coworkers, it is fully legal to confiscate their stronger spellcards; however, never confiscate a Bonéka's primary card. The primary card provides them with a shield (whose form varies depending on the species), which could save their or others' lives.

[This message has been brought to you by the Mainland Pokémon League.]
Author wrote:Let's just say this might've been written a bit differently if they had a Bonéka or two cowrite it. The fact that there were none of them tasked with writing about themselves says quite a bit about how the situation actually is on 'the Mainland'...

Wait, the 'Mainland'? If you haven't guessed, this refers to the shared League of Kanto and Johto. The way I've interpreted them for DWL is that the regions are different culturally, and technically have separate governments... But their histories are so closely linked that some consider them one big superregion (and/or give them a less flattering nickname, but that's beside the point).

Hmm, I could've sworn there was more than this copied from WordPad... Ah, well, it's probably a font size difference. I guess infodumps are better when they're short and concise, to use a Swedish expression.

I know that the "no Resting" point is going to raise a few eyebrows, but you'll see that move in action later on. You'll see.

There's a lot of 'work, work, work' here, I know... And I'll admit, whenever I design backstories for characters showing up here, a lot of time is spent thinking about what they would be doing for a living if they didn't battle.
Last edited by SeaMaid on August 31st, 2018, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CURRENT AVATAR: a drawing of Zizou from Legend of Dark Witch, as drawn by Famimatsu

Want a storylocke of a "soul-crushing" hake along with that hobbyist music? This one's gonna come back someday I swear:

I'm also responsible for the one and only HarvestCraft run on these forums if you want a chill experience.

Tapu Lele

September 29th, 2016, 2:29 pm #7

That was some interesting details by the Mainland. Kanto and Johto(?) are both infested with Boneka, so of course there is going to be some regulations and info about them.
[+] Rant About Town Names
Though I will say this even though I didn't play this I know Kanto have some Japanese names as same as Another World. Well in Another World it kind of make sense it is suppose to take place in Gensokyo and The Other World (which Renko and Maribel are suppose to live< I think I've read on the Wikis). Here it probably don't make sense for them to have Japanese names.

stuff I have no room for
[+] Spoiler

Pillowcase
Unova League Champion
Unova League Champion

October 4th, 2016, 8:41 pm #8

huh, this sounds kinda interesting so far

i was never much into touhou myself but they were all the rage on the forums like four years ago, so i got some collateral exposure. i've only seen like two or three touhoumon storylockes so far, though, apart from this one. i like it! style's canny and quirky and i think i'll enjoy this a lot.
SPECK
(updated 26.08.18)

~ you're all invited to the official nuzlocke writing chat ~
~ adrian ramos drew all my avatars, but not on purpose ~

"It wath anger from the patht" - Today at 4:44 PM
PI L LW OW
clock (32-bit) - Today at 4:44 PM
PILLOW
Aozora - Today at 6:22 PM
PILLOW

SeaMaid

October 6th, 2016, 2:25 pm #9

And we're finally going on to chapter 1!

REPLIES:
In response to what Doop wrote:I'm not sure if 'infest' is the right word... It brings to mind insects carrying a parasite that gives everyone diseases or something.
As for Johto... Man, remind me to make a foreword and attach it to the first post, there are some things I should probably mention there.

Every. Single. Town name is in Japanese, yes. Which would be annoying enough if all the times the towns were called by name had been edited for that. But Aichiya missed a few occasions. For example: "Have you heard of a town called DEWFORD?", I think.
In response to what Pillow wrote:aaaaa Pillowcase found this and approves, how long will it take until I fuck up
*cough* Yeah, I tried looking for any other storylockes of this particular hack, but the only link I actually followed only had one update from 2013 or something...

*puts tinfoil hat on* I think there could be several reasons there are so few storylockes despite touhou being so popular. I say 'being' because we are a lot of fans out of the forums.
A) The storylockers and touhoumonlockers might not always be in the same crowd, simple as that.
B) Related: certain hacks/fangames have quite a bit of story that people don't want to rehash, but don't want to throw out, either. Ergo, a lot of screenshot runs with less story.
C) We the fans simply write stories in one 'verse or the other, but few crossovers that aren't one-offs or full games.

Which ones have you read, btw? Think they're worth a look?

Quirky, huh? I'm glad. I started out thinking this would be a serious run, but now whenever I get to writing I mostly just :V: all over my keyboard. (I'll try toning it down when appropriate, though.)

Today's Music:

CHAPTER 1, PART 1: And now, for someone completely ordinary
[+] Spoiler
Two weeks later, the phone buzzed in a small, Rustboran apartment.

Its owner jumped a little when she heard it, her wings jolting out to her sides. She put down the book she was reading, the one with the regional Professor on the back cover, and went to see who had messaged her.

With her old phone you couldn't see earlier bits of their correspondence, but only the mail office would have written something like: "Your package will arrive at 19:00 today."

... Today? She looked at the clock on the corner of the screen, eyes widening. Oh no, was it today? In ten minutes? Shouldn't the mail office give warning in advance, especially considering what she had ordered?!

She sighed. 'OK, calm down, it's just the mailman, they don't care that the room's a mess right now.' ... But she still ought to do SOMETHING for her first guest in a while, right?

For whatever reason, she settled for cleaning the footprints off of the window sill. She didn't want a repeat of the landlord seeing them during the last inspection, did she? All that worry over someone flying in and out of the window for work nearly every day. When you lived on the fourth floor that was almost a necessity.

... And of course the doorbell rang before she was done. "W- One second!" she shouted, already wringing her gloves off, almost stumbling on a bump on the doormat before finally getting the door open. Crap, her head was pounding when she opened the door.

The mailman - no, mailwoman...? - looked quite a bit different from what she expected. Red and blue poles stuck out of their back: the mark of a shapeshifter Bonéka. But the truly odd part was that they had shapeshifted their outer skin into a uniform - that wasn't required for them, was it? They looked her over slowly and asked: "Are you Diana, Great Fairy?"

Diana scratched her neck. "That's me, yes, but please... I haven't evolved yet..."

"'Fairy''s too vague." The mailman balanced the box they were carrying on one hand and brought some paper slips out from beneath it. "Er, aren't you going to read the contract...?"

But for once, Diana ignored orders. The terms and conditions, frankly, looked just like any other. She knew the risks with this already, and most wouldn't be covered here. When was the last time you got a warning that "buying this product, as opposed to making it yourself, might make people see you in a less benevolent light"? Sure, it MIGHT just be like that, but she wasn't going to check if that was true.

She didn't notice that the mailman had held their breath when she skimmed through the other pages, didn't hear them sighing in relief as she put her pen to the paper.

"Thank you for your purchase!" And finally, the mailman handed the box over. "Now, this is something that should be treated with utmost care, in memory of the donor. Any last-minute questions about activating it or anything?"

Oh, boy, here we go. Diana tightened her grip around the box. "I did some research, and... Y- you know, out of curiosity... Let's say you've never created a spellcard yourself. You would still be able to activate someone else's, right?"

Thank God for small favours; you could tell the mailman had a lot of questions now, but they didn't actually ask any of them. "If it was that dangerous, you would have heard about it. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's the end of my shift..."

"Y-yeah, of course!"

And with that, the mailman disappeared down the stairs, grumbling to themself. Presumably about all the stairs.

Who could blame them?

She had already decided not to activate the card until she was about to go to bed, but it wouldn't hurt to open the box before then, she thought as she got to work with the knife...

It was beautiful.

The spellcard was just big enough to fit comfortably in her hand. The card had been painted in a few hues brighter than her green hair, and even through the film, she could tell it reflected light - well enough that it looked cool, but not so badly that it hurt her eyes. Five seed-shaped bumps stuck out of its front, and while she wasn't going to unwrap the film just yet, she could just barely see a star carved into it behind the seeds.

The move you used with it had been described as nothing for professional fighters, but what did she care? Better than nothing! Pleased with herself, she went back to reading that book until it turned dark outside.

Maybe, just maybe, she could become a normal Bonéka now. Not that anyone could tell she hadn't been until now... It wasn't that she didn't have any spellcard at all - in fact, she fished it out of her chest pocket and laid it on the bed along with her purchase - the problem was how nondescript and, above all, useless in combat it was. How did you defend yourself from particularly bad people if you couldn't shoot back at them?

Well, that last was going to change now. Off with the film on the unbumpy end, a quick prayer to whatever deity wouldn't mind answering to just God - in her defense, most deities had names that really didn't roll off the tongue - and then she taped the cards together.

A pause.

And they started glowing, albeit more faintly than she expected. Weren't new spells supposed to be indicated by a much stronger...? Ah, no matter. She slipped them back into the pocket and laid down, not sure how she managed to fall asleep.

-=-

In the morning, when she immediately went for her pocket again, the cards had indeed merged together. It was hard not to scream of joy, but she held it in - she had caused her neighbours enough shocks already, for various reasons.

Fortunately, her shift at the shop was supposed to be in the afternoon, so she could sneak some practice in first. She opened the window as usual, stretched with all sorts of joints popping as usual, and jumped out.

She kept herself high above the streets. All those Wanted signs plastered over the streetlights -- portraits of Courtneys, Matts, what-have-yous scaring you silly with those dead stares and their "last seen at"s -- wouldn't disappear overnight, so the less she saw them, the better...

Now, where was the Gym? She had never really cared for it until now, just gone on one or two trips during the school years to the museum built above it. It didn't exactly help that neither of those things were on eye level; unlike most of the city, the Gym had been built mostly underground, with a little dome for a hall above ground, and the museum was just one floor. The only reason that building could stand out, apart from the apparent dwarfism, was the understated sign in front saying what it was part of.

... So why were her knees barely holding her up once she landed in front of it?

She leaned against the wall for a moment, soaked the warm city air up. Traced her thumb around the bumps.

'Right. Relax.'

Sure, there would be actual fighters here. Sure, she couldn't mask the fact she had literally no experience with spellcards by wrestling people instead - apart from the occasional playfight during breaks, that had been years ago, too.

But hey. There was no reason to think she couldn't be lucky once in a while! When she asked the fellow Bonéka with a broad hat behind the counter which of the stairs down to take, she didn't think of asking whether she could use the target range in peace, hoping that it would either be empty or crowded enough she could find someone else that was a beginner.

... Well, it certainly wasn't crowded. With not only a target range, but the other training aids, you could probably fit a good twenty people down here... But nope. Only four, herself included. There was a pair absolutely demolishing the dummies in the back, one with rather intricate horns, the other looking as if she just came back from the north pole... But somehow, the Nazrin sitting some distance from them seemed so much better at hogging attention despite doing absolutely nothing.

Not because she was a Nazrin in particular, oh no, Diana was above that kind of thing now. Nor because she had gathered most of her dark grey hair into a barette on the back of her head, as if to show off how the sides of her head were just flat surfaces, and how her Rattata-like ears were perched on top of it. The problem was just that that was one judging stare.

What, did Diana really radiate that much weakness? Or was the Nazrin not a shorts afficiando? In that case, she should know just as well that Diana couldn't change out of those!

Diana tried to ignore the stare, flew over to the target range and started reading the instructions. Different colours meant different types, which meant the bullets produced by different cards would be more or less effective at tearing a hole in them, and... Darn it, that stare was just too distracting, she would have to do something about it. Once close enough, Diana asked: "Do you need some-"

The Nazrin jumped in her seat, then stood up with a straight back as if caught asleep at the job. "Sorry, what was the- Ah, yes, I think I might; my teammate and I were supposed to meet up here, and she's late, but if I go looking for her, I'd probably get lost - we don't know this city very well... Sorry, the question is, would you mind warming up with me?"

It took Diana a few seconds to register that first rush of words, but then it hit her. She had completely forgotten to warm up. How could that happen? Even if using a spellcard just meant standing there and pressing on it, you needed to get into the fighting spirit first -- everyone knows that!

And even if this Nazrin had quite the unnerving stare when spacing out, she would be a better option than just not warming up at all, right?
Author's thoughts on what she wrote:Does that count as a cliffhanger? I think that counts as a cliffhanger.

OH MY GOD why does Wordpad always make everything I write look bigger. It makes me feel underwhelmed with myself once I go into preview mode here. And it makes me wonder how much people actually hear of the music.

Maybe choosing the POV of my sixth catch is a bit off-putting? But that's for a number of reasons. I don't like writing convos repeating info that the characters are supposed to already know about each other, and I wanted most of the first few catches to know each other beforehand (there will also be long-distance friendships in the future, don't you worry). So I went with Diana's POV.

Also, this would be the best time to mention the rules I went by in this playthrough.
0. I may only use my starter in battle until a certain bullshit battle on Route 102. (She was later used as a Fly slave.)
1 + 2. The standard Nuzlocke rules. Fainted catches were to be boxed.
3. All catches would be divided into two (arguably three) groups. The main team had up to 8 members at a time (though often fewer) that could switch freely and would take on the Gyms. The secondary team would consist of catches that either belonged to the same species that were on my rival's team and/or had killed my team members. The secondary team could be used to further the story at "certain" points.
Last edited by SeaMaid on August 31st, 2018, 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drymus
Indigo League Champion
Indigo League Champion

October 6th, 2016, 3:49 pm #10

I love your spin on Sakuya's theme! It seems perfect for preparing to fight the first boss of the game.

The point of view isn't off-putting at all. I think it's a nice touch, defining relationships before the introduction of the player character.

Congratulations on passing the exam!

Tapu Lele

October 6th, 2016, 6:43 pm #11

I'm trying to take a break from the forums, but I feel awkward not commenting here. I really haven't felt a bit happy as of late and more so bored or depress. And flat out unmotivated to update my own runs.

Your banner seem to show a Daiyousei has an important role.

[+] Another Rant, This Time About Some Fights
I started with Elly (I think I spelled her name right), I'm actually thankful I started off with her, though the battle with your rival on 103 made me mad. At least she had fighting move that demolish the Lin or was it Rin from Volcaloid (Why are they even in a Touhoumon game in a first place?). Though that fight is still BS. Heck Another World sorta did the same thing, but this was before I attempt a run on it, with Aya just wanting to challenge me without any preparation what so ever. I mean I was just as blind for the fight on 102 in World Link. However I was more prepare for the Aya fight when I did a run of Another World. Heck while the ZReimu was as much BS, I was spoiled of it and prepare better for that better then the one on Route 102. Of course I kind of saw that Elly was super-effective, but still that don't take away the BS that fight was especially since it had a powerful STAB move freaking early. Geez this fight may not have Achiya, but who ever originally made the hack really should be kicked across a room. Heck I may never touch World Link ever again, but a apart me wants to go back to Another World.Maybe because there were somethings in AW that I liked and WL almost had absolutely no redemption what so ever.

stuff I have no room for
[+] Spoiler

Pillowcase
Unova League Champion
Unova League Champion

October 6th, 2016, 9:06 pm #12

oh! well, this is honestly the only touhou storylocke i still remember the author of (apart from this one, obviously). it was pretty fun while it lasted, but it's also dead and not completed. you may be right that touhoumon players tend to do screenshot runs instead, i've seen a fair few of those.

also don't worry about it :v i'm deeply flattered 'bout the flailing and stuff, hnngh
SPECK
(updated 26.08.18)

~ you're all invited to the official nuzlocke writing chat ~
~ adrian ramos drew all my avatars, but not on purpose ~

"It wath anger from the patht" - Today at 4:44 PM
PI L LW OW
clock (32-bit) - Today at 4:44 PM
PILLOW
Aozora - Today at 6:22 PM
PILLOW

SeaMaid

October 13th, 2016, 2:22 pm #13

Part 2 here got rewritten a couple times, even after posting. Not 100% happy with this, I might have to polish this later, but at least it's SOMETHING.
In response to what Drymus wrote:Thanks! Luna Dial is one of those songs where the original sounds just a bit cluttered, but then a remake shows up (I'm talking the IaMP one) and it's just so good... That said, this one is more influenced by the version that plays in Rustboro in World Link. Actually pretty interesting until you get to the main melody and the Lead hurts your ears.

I hope you like (platonic) relationships, because people here will have them left, right, and center.
In response to what Doopliss wrote:Oh... I'm sorry to hear that. Tbh I think it'd be better if you did lay low for a while and didn't just comment out of necessity - the run(s) will still be there when you feel ready to come back.

Indeed, Diana's that Daiyousei. My bad for calling her unevolved form an Ordinary Fairy.

If you think Vocaloid cameos are weird, there's this one Touhoumon with Hanyuu in it. No, not any other When They Cry characters, just Hanyuu. And a catchable Missingno, IIRC. The second one works because Pokémon hack, but Hanyuu?! (Judging by the rest of the LP it was even worse than any of Aichiya's stuff for various other reasons...)

I had no STAB against Rin because Kurumi. And did I remind everyone that Rin also has a Sitrus berry at disposal At lvl 5? With a BST of 830 and has Serene Grace according to the Wikia? What won me the battle was overgrinding, Leech Life and Potion spam. Infuriating, to say the least...
In response to what Pillow wrote:I checked the first update and I can see why you recommended it, that framing device's good!

Well, yeah. I tend to flail a lot. But especially when we have someone who's written a few runs I enjoyed... I'll get around to elaborating on why once I actually sit down and read more than one update of one run in twenty years, I swear!

Last week'sToday's music!

CHAPTER 1, Part 2: Kick me while I'm down, why don't you?
[+] Spoiler
"What the- weren't we just warming up?!"

By the time Diana had finished her stretching, that other pair had already cleared the arena their training dummy used to be on.  Such a waste of effort. Standing ten, twenty metres apart with absolutely no obstacles between her and the enemy was not exactly the kind of scenario Diana needed to practice on in the first place...

The Nazrin kept rummaging through her bag. "See, I'm using these." She put the bag aside and showed off a pair of hollow logs, then practiced a few swings with a straight face. "If we were having a sanctioned Gym battle, I would have brought the metal ones."

Well, if so, Diana was lucky enough not to be a Gym member. "... We still wouldn't need the whole arena for that, though..."

"We will see about that." The Nazrin took one half of the arena for herself, Diana the other. Needless to say, both had circle marking for where you were going to stand. The Nazrin got into position for sprinting, wagging her tail. "You're ready?"

Diana tried to copy as best as she could. "Sure–"

And the Nazrin was up in her face. There was a muffled clunk as one of the logs got whacked into her shoulder –
and broke.

The Nazrin backed off, wide-eyed. Blocked a stray punch. And the jab after that. Got hold of Diana's arm, pulled it, leaned forward for a knee kick. It lost them both their footing, so the Nazrin tried to push Diana down for balance.

Diana's wings vibrated so fast she thought they'd fall off, and she took off toward the ceiling.

She hadn't felt this awake in years. Perfect. Out with the card, aim with the full arm, and - she tapped her finger against the bumpy side. She couldn't check whether those five rounds were forming behind her, but considering the Nazrin had disappeared behind a perfectly normal shield–

yes, it worked! Six of the bullets zoomed by Diana so quickly she couldn't see them. They landed right next to the shield with a soft pitter-patter. Didn't matter! She still had twentysix left! Diana would just have to focus, and...

Hold on.

She couldn't see anything. She tried to turn around, - the training dummies, the hallway up to the stairs, the paint on the floor – all gone. Just weak lights from where those other two had been standing, and–

And where were her wings? Why couldn't she move them anymore?!

==-==

"... Well, you're lucky you have a that sturdy hull. Maybe you'd need varnish, too, but this should do it."

"Ah... Great..." Diana sat up on the Center bench (she refused to believe it could be a bed). "I need to ask something, though."

"About that panic attack, I imagine. Well, how long did it last?"

"Four seconds, I guess? I mean, I just- slammed down onto something and I could see again..." Also, whatever it was, it was not a panic attack. Panic attacks were things that made humans curl up in a corner for hours, cry and bite their arms or cover their heads (it was kind of hard to tell, sometimes). And sure, Diana needed a bit of help to get up, but then she could run straight to the Center and get herself seated on this thing.

That was the problem, though. She could run all the way. Even after getting inspected, it was like she was wearing an invisible, heavy bag trapping the wings against her back. She wasn't going to have to hop around like a clipped Taillow the rest of the life, was she? "Just- tell me how long I'll–"

"Right, now take it easy." Easy for the nurse to say, he had a comfy chair with wheels to sit on. "We know this is your first time at the Center. At least that you haven't been registered, which should be the same thing. Yes?"

"Well, yeah..."

"I'm going to need some more info from you before I can come with an educated guess about why that happened, and how long it'll last." He grabbed a plate from a nearby shelf and started tapping on it, looked her up and down - green, gold-ish eyes, yellow, pale blue, in that order. "First off: you are a Daiyousei, yes?"

She really needed to remember that was her official title, rather than just 'Ordinary fairy'... "Mhm. And Yang."

"Let's just tick that 'Grass'-hull box too, and... Name, age, occupation?"

"Diana. 16. I've, uh, worked at the Pretty Petal Flower Shop for a while now." And while that wasn't going to change anytime soon, she still had a tough time spitting the name out.

"Fitting. I take it you haven't battled often before this?"

"That's ages ago now, yeah. And this was my first time using a spellcard, too." God, please say that wasn't the reason–

"Which kind of spell is it?"

"Bullet Seed."

All the joviality from his face went away, very slowly. "You didn't buy it, by any chance?"

Thanks for rubbing it in. "It doesn't really matter, does it," Diana said, kicking the air, "I mean, theonlysideeffectstheywarnedmeaboutwere-"

"Not that significant? Well, to put it into perspective, I can only think of a few cases where a newly bought spellcard actively worked against their new owner. ... I'll have to check those for details."

The nurse tapped around on his screen for a bit in silence and didn't seem to care that Diana could fall off if she didn't slow down the kicking. No refunds, they said, no way to remove them until you had more than four - god, wasn't the fact you couldn't back out of it proof it was a bad buy to start with - and to think she wasted so much just to...

No, more importantly, how would she defend herself now? She thought of those 'Wanted' Posters. Of Peeko, who was on some of them. Of old man Briney, of how often the two of them used to visit the shop, by themselves or together. Of when he appeared in TV recently, eyes all dried out, that coarse voice of his saying:

"I don't know why they took her," "I don't know how," "I just went to take a nap while she did maintenance on our ship and she was just- gone"...

And if they, whoever they were, didn't need any good reasons to decide that Diana would be the next... Well, she couldn't run forever, huh?

"... Bad news." The nurse looked up with a frown and got out of the chair. "I could only find four cases like yours from the last fifty years. And you might have to ask for a quick 'vacation' for this to work out well..."

Diana followed him out of the back room, through the corridor back to the hall. They found the Nazrin still leaning against the wall precisely where they left her. Not too surprising. She had given her name - Natalie, apparently - she had mumbled a sheepish apology for striking too hard, but literally not said anything else since the incident.

Surprisingly, though, she had another fairy for company now. In a better mood, Diana would have compared her to a Iapapa berry. Same skin colour, her red dress flowing down past her feet, and she had her arms crossed with a sour expression. "Don't blame yourself for this... One little Cut can't screw someone over that badly."

"Maybe not, but all I'm saying is-" and then they noticed that Diana had returned. "So, er, how bad is it?"

The Nurse pursed his lips. "I'm sorry, but what you need to do is keep training. Harder than before."

"... And if I don't?"

"Well. If you just want to wait it off, it might take months, even years."

"I don't have that kind of time!" Diana snapped.

The Nurse kneeled down and patted Diana on the shoulder. As if that would be reassuring at all. "Then show that spellcard you're the boss now. Simple as that. If anything else goes wrong, you and your team can always come back, you hear?" Back on his feet, he bowed, said "We hope to see you again!" and left.

"Wait, I-!" But the nurse didn't wait. Diana's shoulders slumped. "... I don't have a team."

Things went quiet for a moment.

Natalie frowned at her fairy friend. "Siri? What's with that face?"

"We've all been there, that's what's with it. Hey, you!" She said, addressing Diana. "We'll help you out with whatever it is, and in return, you'll... hmm... Well, what could you do?"

Diana shrugged.

"The point is, if you need us we'll probably be at the Gym whenever."

"Then I'll, uh... I'll think about it."
Author's thoughts on what she wrote:aaaaa I was gonna have the obligatory training montage in this update but so many things got in the way and the texts I need for that presentation haven't arrived yet so I need to find new ones and prepare a presentation within 24 hours and aaaaa
... Anyway.

Remember the thing about high pain tolerance from the first Extra? ... Yeah. If a Bonéka had written that one PSA, it would be more along the lines of "since we don't have nerves we pretty much don't feel pain until we really need medical attention." Which ironically often makes them very paranoid about stuff that actually does hurt or inconvenience them.

Peeko and other people getting kidnapped isn't doing wonders for Diana's mental health either. The poor girl. (And we all know whether she will accept or not.)

When Diana was caught, she only attacked once - Pound the first turn - then spent all her time growling, so it took a few turns to whittle her HP down. Ergo the whole hollow log-thing.

I considered boxing her eternally until I remembered she was compatible with the Bullet Seed TM. Why? Because Daiyousei have absolute trash for levelup moves. They don't get a STAB move - that one's Razor Leaf, though - naturally until level 21. Until then, they can learn Baton Pass (when she can't learn stat boosting moves until she's 42 and 44, assuming she had an Everstone on her!) and Weather Ball (nobody has any weather moves at lvl 14, what the hell?!)
Last edited by SeaMaid on August 31st, 2018, 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tapu Lele

October 21st, 2016, 5:26 pm #15

I'm back a little sooner, but I feel a little bit better, so yeah. Ust probably needed to stay away for a bit anyways. Though didn't really help on motivation...but not that matters.

Anyways well this was a bit intense, but nice way of trying to show something mention in PSA earlier.

I;m guessing you aren't going to use the Hatsune. Though those would kind break the difficulty of a Nuzlocke, so i wouldn't blame you.

I guess it is weird to have someone from When They Cry (Not that I know much about it, in fact I know less about compare to touhou). It seems a bit one those "guilty plessure" type anime rather than something to enjoy as something actually good. I don't know though.

stuff I have no room for
[+] Spoiler

SeaMaid

November 3rd, 2016, 11:35 am #16

I have returned from my unwilling weeklong hiatus, at last! Something happened to my Internet. And the problem was only solved when I "refreshed" my laptop (keeping most of my files, but deleting all programs that had required a proper installation procedure)...But hey. Everything DWL-related was unscathed, and VBA, too.
In response to what commenters wrote:@Drymus: That guy was always really weird to me. "I like spitting seeds, now teach your 'mons how to make that dangerous!" Though in his defense (and this is something I should mention instory but it just wouldn't fit in in this part), here he didn't sell it to her, he just suggested that she buy a card to solve her little problem.

>"Looks like it's finally time for Diana to come out of her shell, whether she wants to or not."
... shit. reading everything over again she really does seem a lot meeker (if that's the word I want) than intended. Even with a Lonely nature. My excuse is that we've only seen her under pressure so far.

@Doop: That's good for you! it's so hard saying that without sounding sarcastic I swear I mean it

tbh I really wanted to make the first depicted battle intense, one way or another. Glad that worked out!

Nope, I won't use it. In a normal run I would consider it because I'm the kind of scumbag to abuse legendaries and stuff, but here its BST is just too high in comparison to everyone else's... Also, I ended up catching something else on that route before it, so it'd be illegal.

When They Cry is, well... I used to really like it myself, but I don't remember much of it. I can say this, though: it definitely isn't for everyone, and it wasn't for me either - I remember getting all jittery and easily scared... And that was from the freaking anime, the one most fans hate because it's a pretty damn bad adaptation! I read some of the manga too, which was better. If you want to give it a try, read the manga, or if you have the money, buy the original VNs when they're on sale - I think they have official English translations now.

Unfortunately most of this is dialogue, it feels like. A quick break from all the action right before the Gym Battle, a little bit of character establishment. Buckle up.

Today's music!

CHAPTER 1, Part 3: Walk and Talk
[+] Spoiler
It only took Diana less than a day to take the Nurse's offer up.

But what a day that was. With her wings stuck in the most awkward angle possible – sticking out straight to the sides so she was wider than she was tall – doing every single thing just felt wrong. From trying to make it through the front door, to getting into bed, to lying in it on the side like usual.

It was almost impossible to sleep like that. So she spent a lot of the night thinking over that nurse's suggestion to make up for it.

The solution was basically just doing the same thing over and over again until it worked, wasn't it. And now that she could take a step back, the only problem she had experienced during that - whatever it was - apart from the numbness was... whatever happened to her sight. Not much of a problem if she just shut her eyes anyway...?

Maybe it was a dumb train of thought, but Diana would rather try it before condemning herself to all those cramped stairways for Lord knew how long. And so, she went back to the Gym, despite what happened last time she decided to do that.

... Well. While she didn't make any progress with getting her wings to work again, and while it was a mistake to open her eyes in the middle of the spell, there were no major disasters this time.

It felt kind of nice that Siri showed her so much concern over trying it out so early after the accident, too. (Not that she was going to stop Diana, oh no – "you do you"). In fact, over the course of the following days, she started looking forward to seeing her and Natalie specifically whenever she went to the Gym.

And for once, that feeling was mutual. (Probably. It was kind of hard to tell with Natalie.) Despite the Gym's size, and despite the fact that the Bonéka League existed in the first place, professional Bonéka fighting was very much a niche sport in the region. Which meant fewer visitors of the Gym, which meant fewer people for Siri and Natalie to chat with during their breaks. Meanwhile, Diana needed something to distract herself from all this darkness whenever she tried using her spellcard again, so she didn't mind talking back.

The problems with this arrangement didn't appear until one of their training sessions a week or so later, probably longer.

It started with Diana innonciously asking if Siri had any advice to improve her spellcasting. Sure, she had stopped accidentally shooting the wall behind the target, but no bull's-eyes. She still had no way to correct her aiming during the actual spell, either...

Siri had her arms on her hips and hummed. "How about you don't do that," she said, then mimicked Diana stretching her arm out.

There was no way she held it at a that awkward angle! Also, "I kind of have to if I want to aim at all."

"No you don't? It might take a while to learn, but – here, lemme demonstrate something." Siri casually put her hands behind her back with a little smile; then, there was some sort of fireball about the size of her head floating about around her. She didn't flinch at all. "See? No hands!"

Diana recoiled, despite not being anywhere near it, and despite knowing better. She had seen Siri and Natalie duke it out a few times by now; while Natalie tended to have trouble actually getting up to her, Siri hadn't burned the Gym down yet.

Then again, what was so wrong about a healthy fear of fire? Maybe their Maker had built Siri to handle them, and maybe Natalie was so used to spars she had become completely desentisized to it... But Diana was nothing like them. There was at least one accident she could think of that proved how flammable she was, and why it was a good idea to memorise where the extinguishers were at all times... She shuddered a little and tried batting that thought away. "And you learned how to do that with no hands how?"

"Hmm..." She started waving her hands around as she spoke. "It was kinda gradual, I think. Like, if I found out what my element was then, and that got me hired... How long have I been at the smithy, again..?"

"Wait, the smithy?!" Diana tried imagining Siri back in Oldale, sitting by the anvil, barely able to fit one leg on each side of it due to the dress, a heavy lump of metal about to become a sword lying next to a hammer on the anvil. No offense, but could she lift that sword? Let alone the hammer?

Siri laughed a little and waved her hand dismissively. "I know what you're thinking, it's nothing like that! No, I just make sure they've got just the right size of fire for the furnace. And handle some of the less exciting parts of the business."

"Huh..." Diana raised her arm again. "Is this better, by the way?"

"Eh, it'll do for a start."

Right. Diana shut her eyes again and went through that routine again - once she got it started, it pretty much handled itself. "So what about you, Natalie?"

Natalie was, at that moment, busy sharpening a pair of rather fancy metal rods (not entirely unlike those wooden ones in length, but with each end shaped like a letter) against a rock she had been carrying around. "Hm? ... Ah, no, I'm from the Petalburg Gym."

Of all places? Diana gulped. "Must be tough..."

"Where did you hear that?" Uh, pretty much everywhere? "My only issue is our Leader having to step down without a descendant. And even if we find a new candidate soon, the renovation will take a few months... I needed something to do during that time - that's why I challenge the League myself, now."

"Oh, alright... Wait, hold on." A smith from Oldale, and a Gym person from Petalburg? "How come you guys are travelling together, then?"

"Ah, well," Siri began, "it's actually a favour for a–"

"Siri, we promised not to tell everyone." Natalie put the rods down and Diana could practically hear her glaring.

"Yes, but there's a difference between everyone and anyone, Nat! No reason to dodge the issue when someone asks-"

"What are you even talking about?" Diana snapped, turning back at them.

Then, the tension became unbearable. Natalie didn't want to elaborate. Siri wasn't going to and just huffed instead before folding her arms and looking away. So there was just the sound of a target getting drummed on by Diana's...

Hold on.

"Guys," Diana said. She blinked a few times. Looked back at the target - yep, it was still getting battered. By her own bullets. "G-guys! I can see all the time again!"

Natalie gave her a thumbs up and what could barely count as a smile. "... That's great, isn't it. Keep it up."

"A-ah, yeah, congrats!" Siri said. "We should go celebrate that! You know any good places, Dia?"

"Well, there's the, uh..." What the heck, most of the After Work events were held there, why couldn't she remember the name?! "Look, I'll just go tell the people at the Center about it and then we can go, OK?"

==-==

Even Diana could tell how awkward that evening was. Not that that stopped her from trudging up the stairs to home with a big dopey smile on her face. If somebody asked why she looked so tired tomorrow, she could actually say "because I was out with a couple of friends" for once. A nice change of pace. It wasn't that Diana didn't have any friends out of work, no no no, they just happened to be busy whenever she wanted to hang out with them...

She hadn't even reached her room before the iNav in her pocket buzzed. Probably Siri testing whether the number actually worked. She dug the phone out of her coat and paused.

"Look I'm sorry about what Nat did earlier. Tried to explain why that 'confidential |-(' thing was a bad thing to say but NOPE it's flying over her head. I mean. that just made you more curious right?"

Diana stared at the screen blankly for a moment. She slowly tapped something out. "Would you tell me about it?"

She hadn't received any reply when she went to bed, but saying that she had a wall of text waiting for her the next morning would be an understatement. In fact, she found parts of it confusing enough that she asked Siri if they could meet up somewhere so she could clarify what on Earth she was babbling about (though not in those exact terms).

There was probably something off about two beings who couldn't eat or drink to meet up in a café, but hey. The café down the street from Diana's house was one of the few public areas in town with chairs comfier than the Center's.

Siri crossed her legs and sighed. "'Kay. So what's the part you didn't get?"

"Well, uh–" Diana thought for a moment. "... Right. What's this whole 'robot translator scan' about? I mean – look, when you use a modified Pokéball so you can basically make a copy of us and kidnap it – that copy's a 'scan'."

"Kidnapping? Look, I wouldn't make one, but that sure is one way to put it! Anyhow, it's exactly what it sounds like. Those Saboten people made a robot, they then made a scan of it, and as long as I'm carrying it around like this" – She took a small, grey orb with a few buttons on it out of one of her pockets and handed it over – "I'm basically collecting data on what people are saying so it'll actually learn how Hoennese is supposed to sound. Let's just say it really needs the help..."

Most people would probably have asked themselves about the ethical aspect of that mission. Not Diana. "... Can I have a listen?"

"Don't say I didn't warn you." Siri turned it on, then mumbled something into it and brought it to Diana's ear.

There was a pause. Then an explosion of nouns and adjectives in such a grating voice Diana almost fell out of the chair. "Holy sh– it really does need the help!"

"Right?! So, even though I don't get why the Prof wanted me and Nat in particular to do it, it was as good a reason as any to go travelling again."

There she went 'the Prof' again. Diana almost felt a little jealous that she could talk about The Professor Birch so casually... "You've been travelling before?"

"Well, yeah. Mostly short trips to Lavaridge or Slateport, stuff like that, but..." Siri shrunk together in her seat. "... I actually tried taking the League on a while back. We fought Roxanne then, too. So I haven't been to Rustboro since - well, not counting now..."

Oh. Oh no, she actually looked kind of sad now, what to say – "But you've got a better plan this time around right?! It'll probably work out!"

Siri shrugged. "I and Nat have been thinking about something, yeah. But there's the problem with our typings compared to Rox's, and what if we spend so much time fixing that issue that when the other comes up... Wait. Hey now." Siri raised an eyebrow. "Would you mind showing your shield off for a sec?"

Diana obliged. Out of all shields, hers had to be the one overgrown with various vines. They were supposed to defend you against all kinds of damage that you wouldn't be able to take, so why was it just as susceptible to fire as herself? "It's a great umbrella but dunno about its battle properties..."

"What are you talking about, it's great!" Siri leaned forward with sparks in her eyes. "Look, if you don't agree with this it's perfectly fine, but I think I have a better idea than earlier, now..."
Author wrote:Aaand yet another obvious cliffhanger.

This chapter feels so long but I'm probably deluding myself again :v: .

For some reason I'm actually kind of happy with this! There are a few plot threads hanging that I really should take care of, and it might be that the scenes jump around a bit, but for the first time I actually felt like "I can't bring that up now, it'd cut the red thread off" - which means there's probably actually some continuity going on for once! :sun:

As for what Diana said about scans. Yeah, she really doesn't like the idea of them. In this 'locke, the first Pokéballs showed up two decades or so ago, and then the Scans about a decade after that. When Diana was younger and way easier to influence. They were... polarising, to put it likely, and she just happened to hang out with people who opposed the idea more. But rest assured that about 95% of scans were made with the original Bonéka's consent. And depending on the Trainer handling the scan, they usually get decent compensation.
(Note: This particular A/N was cut down from the pre-Tapatalk version. Christ was it a lot.)
Last edited by SeaMaid on August 31st, 2018, 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drymus
Indigo League Champion
Indigo League Champion

November 3rd, 2016, 10:57 pm #17

Computer troubles are never fun. Good thing you didn't need to replace anything aside from some programs, I suppose...

Hmm... On the one hand, I'm glad the actual puppets aren't being used for sport by the general population. On the other hand, I wonder how close to the originals these copies are...

Natalie certainly seems to take the task seriously... I wonder if there's more to it than what we've seen already?

I've actually been looking for the name of At the End of Spring so I could hear the original for a few days... I found an arrange of it, but it had a Japanese title.

I would suggest a name, but I'm terrible at naming things...

Tapu Lele

November 4th, 2016, 12:35 am #18

Again some nice character establishment, I mean interesting the Nat and Siri have some reason to travel together despite coming from two different backgrounds.

This is probably I issue I have my own ones, is I don't really plan at the stories to well, just go with what is on top of my head. Though I kind of hoping to change that at some point while again attempting a Y run. Of course I could redo my currents runs, if I feel like it. Your story is making trying figure at to make ways for me to be more comfortable with my own runs. Heck actually thought about bring back my Another World run because my files just magically reappeared on my computer, but an issue is that some pictures I had were permanently gone from my Google Drive, so there is that. I mean this chapter was a bit jumpy and reread some parts, but it isn't too hard to understand what is going on!
[+] {Mature}These scenes are not for the faint of heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFsaOm1fZHQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3oSg7bNxSg

While I kind read manga or watch anime with stuff like this, it just depends on how it is handle. And really stuff like that kind of makes me question to watsh/read it. Honestly sometimes the manga gory scenes are sometimes a lot worst. Though if the characterization isn't bad, it maybe a different story.

Besides honestly I think mod things like M.U.G.E.N, GMod, or MikuMiku Dance are fine to have characters from different series. but honestly mods are a different story over hacks. Especially Pokemon hack.

stuff I have no room for
[+] Spoiler

SeaMaid

November 14th, 2016, 7:22 pm #19

Judging by how I said I'd upload this last Thursday but I always update every other week anyway... Is this early? Is this late? Who knows??
In response to what commenters wrote:Drymus: (this goes for both the scan question and Nat's motives) Well..... :3: If you're looking forward to a Blade Runner-esque situation or something, you'll be disappointed, though.

Oh, I see. From now on I'll tag both the Japanese titles and their English translations if there isn't an English title. (In this case the original name's Haru no Minato ni. It just happens to be my favourite Stage 1 theme apart from Ghostly Eyes so yes, listen to it!). as evidenced by your naming scheme in your runs jk jk I like them. Even if Yellow wouldn't agree.

btw, randomass question. I just saw that somebody follows me calling themself drymua. I would assume it was you immediately if there wasn't just an empty void when I went to visit the page.

@Doopliss: Feel proud of myself for making someone want to better their own runs. Thanks for telling me.

Yeah, it's probably much easier to make a coherent story after you're done playing the thing. I mean, this one's been mulled upon for, like, two years, and I still come up with new concepts to replace the old ones sometimes because they make more sense... It also means I know who will survive and who won't, which is fairly useful information.

"I mean this chapter was a bit jumpy and reread some parts," I take it you meant you had to reread parts? Sorry about that.

Ah, those two scenes... meh... (Then again I just watched a Splatterhouse playthrough so I'm kinda desensitized to violence at the moment.)

Here's the thing with When They Cry, though - the gore isn't the end goal. It's honestly impossible to describe without spoiling it... In some ways, the storylines with those gory parts are there both to provide various "what ifs?" of the same setting and to make you curious about what the hell's going on in this sleepy little town called Hinamizawa - and if you just stick around for both seasons, nearly everything gets answered. As for characterisation, I like watching the characters being typical teenagers (or kids, in Rika's and Satoko's case) and goofing off, even more than I like watching them break horribly mentally. I know it makes me sound awful but there's no better way to phrase it...

"Besides honestly I think mod things like M.U.G.E.N, GMod, or MikuMiku Dance are fine to have characters from different series. but honestly mods are a different story over hacks. Especially Pokemon hack." I'm just gonna quote this 'cause I couldn't agree more.
... And then we'll get to The Gym Battle. All the boring (or not so boring) introspection afterwards will be left for later this week, though - mostly because the music wouldn't fit that at all.

Today's music!

CHAPTER 1, Part 4: When Underground Battles Become Legal
[+] Spoiler
When Diana first met Roxanne, the first and only word she could think of was: imposing. Nearly everything made her look the sort that wouldn't be impressed by anything; that massive tie, the grey dress jutting out, the way she had towered proud and tall over Diana while saying: "Now let's head down, shall we?"

That feeling was not diminished one bit now that they were underground, in the proper arena they had beneath the Gym - so far beneath, in fact, that they had needed to take an elevator down. The proper one with the dome-shaped ceiling with not only enough flashlights to illuminate an entire building, but various rough stones sticking out to it. Roxanne had explained that the proper arena needed the distance and - various other things Diana hadn't been able to remember - to save the museum's exhibits from the quakes simulated during other battles, so why the stones...?

A small pair of cameras were also stuck in the ceiling, one of them focused on that one guy with a green suit and pointy hair as he formally introduced the battle. Diana couldn't see him from the foot of the stairs, but she assumed he was staring into the camera with that unsettlingly cheery face of his the whole time; he didn't exactly have any live audience to explain anything to, after all. "... What a shame that the benches are completely empty today, right, Roxanne?"

"I'm not surprised, honestly," the Leader replied in a manner that did not help ease the tension at all. She raised one hand from her drawer, cleared her throat and then pointed straight at Siri and Natalie. "Alright! I will assume you two remember the rules" - she moved on to Diana - "but I don't recall seeing you when your friends scheduled this."

"I-it's fine," Diana stuttered, "I know what to do!"

"Then would you kindly demonstrate that to us?"

Diana screamed on the inside. Natalie hadn't tried hammering the rules of this battle into her skull for half a month for nothing - the question was just how to put the things she had said into her own words. "All moves are accepted," Natalie had said; even the unfair or utterly ridiculous ones. So Diana didn't have to worry about going too far with some off-kilter idea and getting disqualified. Every fighter was allowed to forfeit individually at any time - that meant giving the opponent a point, though, and you couldn't have that. Especially not now, when they were three against two of Roxanne's subjects (was that really the right word, though?) - if Roxanne got two points, they would be kicked out of here. On live TV, at that. Natalie always seemed to shudder at that part specifically, and now Diana knew exactly why.

Fortunately, Diana realised at some point that Roxanne had decided to reiterate those rules to the audience herself. Unfortunately, by the time she was finished, her own team were half asleep. While the pair did look quite alike, it was pretty obvious they were different species: both wore fancy hats over their blue hair, but whereas one had a fairly straightforward dress, the other had been covered in various pink scarves of different intensities. No way to tell what kind of hull she had, or anything like that.

"... So!" Roxanne shouted, jolting them awake. "Tess, why don't you go first this time around?"

"Riiight..." The one with the dress dragged her feet over to the stage and waited.

Siri nudged Diana in the shoulder, whispering: "Why'd the Tenshi go first this time?!"

Why was she so snappy all of a sudden? Diana shook her head, swallowed - and then it hit her what that meant.

Ah. Oh no. She had to go out first. Time to put herself in that small circle on her half, wait for a proper announcement the battle was about to begin, and just...

Breathe.

Tess closed her eyes and clasped her hands together as if she was holding something. Concentrated. A sword, or at least something similar enough, formed in her hands, the blade looking just like a chunk of the ceiling.

And suddenly, she threw it straight at Diana.

Diana's instincts kicked in - the shield was up before the sword had reached her, a stray vine tangling itself around the sword without her planning to.

'Holy shit', she thought.

The shield faded - the sword fell with a thump - she fired blindly around Tess' head. Tess ducked, lept, ducked again and again until she reached the sword, grabbed it, slashed.

Diana's aim didn't improve, despite the smaller distance.

She was completely oblivious to the incredulous look on Roxanne's face, to the green suited man commentating: "this matchup might not be as onesided as you'd expect from these types!".

At some point, Siri had grabbed onto Natalie's arm, watching breathlessly, and Natalie had pushed her off.

Everything was a mess. Dodging and slashing. Blocking and shooting. Tess occasionally pulling stunts like seemingly pulling pieces from the ceiling.

Things that normally would scare Diana witless, but since she already was witless when it started... Strangely nostalgic, too. It was like the scuffles she would do when she was younger. With more stuff flying at you from every direction, but less jabs in the gut or elsewhere. She barely knew what was going on but it was almost - fun - and...

A shout from Natalie broke her out of the trance. "Out of the way!" Diana obliged, arm raised in case she needed to retaliate, but nothing came.

She paused, realised that she was wheezing. Wait. Did Tess just shove that sword into the ground?

... Yes, she did. Tess had just shoved that sword into the ground. There were little cracks around it on the floor and everything.

... Had she won?

Roxanne sighed and rubbed her forehead. "Tess, you've already forfeited, you're not pulling that stunt off now."

"Oh, come on, just a decimetre deep crack across the-"

"No."

Grumbling, Tess made the sword crumble into dust and then staggered off the ring.

She had! Diana did the same, breathlessly chuckling despite herself, and slumped down next to Natalie on the challengers' bench.

Natalie scooted away slightly and gulped. "What is it? Do we need to take you to the Center again?"

"Not everyone has your stamina, Nat, give her a moment... No, really, I can't believe you did it!" Siri suddenly gave Diana a hug, so quickly Diana could swear she heard a scratch, then got up and paced around in circles.

"... You can't?"

Natalie sat up straight again. "You're only facing an electric type. The worst-case scenario would be paralysis, and even then we have too many Cheri..."

There was a bell ringing and an announcement that 'Isa' was already in place, so the challengers should choose a volunteer already. Needless to say, that would be Siri, who immediately got in position.

The greensuited man coughed. "The second round begins in three, two, one..."

And Siri was off the ground with a grunt. She buzzed all around the ring, made a little fire the size of her palm and sent it flying toward Isa.

Very slowly. Isa could dodge it almost casually before pointing at Siri. There was a zap - fortunately, Siri landed and went down on one knee before her wings started twitching madly.

Isa meandered toward Siri with a wide grin, but stopped when she heard Roxanne shouting something in exasperation: "Behind you!"

Isa didn't even look as she brought her shield up, crackling with electricity. The fire hit, quickly spread out like a thin wrapper over its entire surface.

She paused for a second as she realised what this meant.

Not only a timelimit, but no way of using her spellcards until they were doused.

She gritted her teeth in frustration (as did Roxanne) and sprinted toward Siri.

Siri threw dust she had gathered up in the air - Isa abruptly stopped as Siri pounced, trying to throw the rest of the sand into Isa's face. Just as Isa had expected - still covering her face, she moved her shield around like a sledgehammer - smacked Siri with it, sparks and flames and all.

Siri was flung aside, rolled toward the edge of the ring. Somehow, that just added fuel to the fire. She hadn't quite managed to get back up when Isa called for a time-out and dashed back to her corner - but she was still getting there.

Roxanne pursed her lips. She opened the drawer, pulled a green spray bottle out of it, and proceeded to spray its contents over Isa's shield. She crinkled her nose at the bitter smell of the foam. "That's that... Alright. Ready to go?"

"I'd... rather forfeit, honestly," Isa said.

Roxanne blinked a few times. "... You're sure about that?"

Isa leaned over the rail and started whispering. "Listen, I don't know what's wrong with that goddamn fairy, but she's got it out for me. Better stop before she loses it."

Roxanne glanced at Siri and hummed, shuddering. "I see what you mean. It's just their first badge..." So why were they all fussing about it so much? She reached into the drawer again to grab three of the Stone badges lying there, as well as a spare spellcard left there. "I..." She raised her head and voice. "I declare this battle over, in favour of the challenger!"

It was always tough to ignore how cheerful that commentator sounded while repeating that her side had lost, and all that studying beforehand was for nothing. But hey. That was his job. And it was her part-time job to oversee battles and try to come with some inspirational speech afterwards no matter how they ended, wasn't it?

See, this was why Roxanne wasn't particularly fond of fighting people with no badges. If they had heard it all before, there was no shame in flubbing it. But that greenhaired fairy who had flubbed through the first part of the fight was still all starryeyed and, frankly, a bit offputting in her enthusiasm. Where did all this adrenaline come from and why hadn't it subsided yet?

Right, a speech. "I think we all learned something today. ... While some of us may be leaving this Gym thinking we could have done so much better, we will just have to learn from their mistakes. The challengers should also remember that things are only going to get tougher from now on." Eh, good enough. "Do any of you have anything in particular to say?"

Diana grinned widely. "Well, I'd kinda like to do this again someday! That was just- ..." She stopped as if she wanted the others to fill in the blank, but no such luck.

"Rest assured that if you're taking the League challenge, you'll have to. At least six times, depending on how the situation in Petalburg pans out... Anyway, as is tradition within the Bonéka League, all of you will not only receive a replica of this Gym's emblem each, but a spellcard donated by one of our former teammates, bless her soul. Make sure to use it wisely."

The last moments of that conversation that were broadcast was Siri staring down at that spellcard, looking as if she would snap it in half at any moment.
Author wrote:Pretty glad with how Levelminded came out. My only problem is that when I tried to export the MIDI and play that with a soundfont that actually sounds like realistic instruments, it suddenly nosedived in quality at some points...

I went to check Bulbapedia again, and apparently Rox is only a teacher in the anime?! I could've sworn she was one in RSE too - that one guy who says he scolded her in class certainly gives that impression... So that's what I'm sticking with. Despite that I'm going with the ORAS design because it's, frankly, way better than her original one IMO. It's the tie and the hair. <3

Fighting Roxanne in World Link, though. Had a lot to write about the fight, so just putting it under a spoiler.
[+] Spoiler
Roxanne actually had three team members here, too, but two of them were both Tenshis so I combined them into one fight.

It was really weird how much longer the first Tenshi lasted than the second. The first lasted like 5 turns due to a few factors. The second? I was really fuckign afraid of fighting her because she had Hisou Sword - basically Rock-type Hyper Beam with Fissure graphics... Except she missed. And then Bullet Seed whittled her down not little by little, but a lot by a lot, and she was KOed by the end of the turn. I was really relieved about it but What the heck.

Then there was the Iku (Isa). Siri missed with her first Will-o-Wisp, and my mood turned even sourer because the Iku then successfully paralysed Siri. Well, another Will-o-wisp wouldn't hurt... And then I remembered that all Iku's attacks are Special so it didn't matter much. A lot of Sand-attack and healing spam happened... But Iku only used Shock Wave once, preferring to Dragon Rage Siri within an inch of her life. Guess the A.I thought the damage output would be bigger even with the accuracy loss. Then I switched out to Nat, who Quick Attacked Iku twice before I won. Which would be a relatively boring way to end that battle, so I cut it out. This part of the battle took 11 turns in total, GEEZ.

I was actually considering portaying the battle against Isa first, then Tess. But considering how brutal the Isa section is compared to Tess... Besides, Diana being high off adrenaline (orrr the Bonéka equivalent I guess :v: ) would explain why she wasn't sworn off of battling by that.
Last edited by SeaMaid on August 31st, 2018, 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drymus
Indigo League Champion
Indigo League Champion

November 15th, 2016, 6:25 pm #20

Ha... I guess I mistyped the last letter in the username... Maybe I shouldn't have created the account at 2 am... But yes, that's my account that I pretty much forgot about until now.

Diana seems to be caught in the heat of the moment. Hopefully she grows out of that before it puts anyone in danger... It's very fortunate that Hisou Sword missed.

Sounds like Siri has a history with Ikus, or maybe even Isa herself.