Forum rules
You can't post new threads here.
If you have a run that's finished, please post it in Written Story Runs first. Then PM a
, and they'll move the thread for you!

Feel free to post in the runs that are already here, though!
TrainerBOB
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

February 5th, 2011, 3:13 pm #81

Chapter Twenty-Three
[+] Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three: You Again…

William frowned at the headline he read across the newspaper’s front page while he waited for his Pokemon to be healed. He was sitting in the Vermillion’s City Pokemon center; he had grabbed a newspaper, and was now reading the front page article.
Sure to Perform at S.S. Anne Party Tonight
Lieutenant Nathan Surge has always had a bit of a party spirit in him.

“I’ve been to more parties than I can remember,” the gym leader said. “And that’s only because I get drunk at half at them.”

So, of course, tonight Surge will make an appearance at the S.S. Anne before the ship sets off. However, he will not only party, the gym leader is also planning to perform at the piano.

“I’m really excited, I mean ladies love a guy who’s both handsome and artsy,” Surge said, with a wink. “But in all seriousness, I’m really just looking forward to having a great time.”

Surge started piano lessons when he was six years old. At the time, he hated it, and he circled through several teachers.

“I used to play awful pranks on my piano teacher,” Surge said. “Once, I put a Weedle on one of my teacher’s seat. One hospital trip later and he dropped my as a pupil.”

Surge didn’t come to enjoy playing the piano until he turned 16.

“I went to a party and the band hadn’t got there yet,” Surge said. “So, I took a seat and did a little mini-performance. The crowd loved me so much, that when the band got there, they booed them away and paid me to keep playing.”

He remembers the night fondly.

“That performance got me my first girlfriend, my first kiss…and my first few others things as well,” Surge said.

Now, Surge is honored to play at the S.S. Anne, the largest and most exotic ship in the world.

“Not many people can say they’ve done something like this,” Surge said. “It’s one chance in a lifetime baby, and I’m taking it!”

The party will host close to a thousand people tonight, and tickets have become nearly impossible to come by. Food and drinks will be served, and the ship will depart from the harbor at 3:00 am.

“It’s going to be one hell of a party,” Surge said.

Surge said that in order to get ready for the event, he will be closing the gym all day long.

“I haven’t practiced in a really long time,” Surge said. “And while I may have the magic fingers, practice makes perfect.”

William threw the paper aside, disgusted. An aide came up to him, letting him now his Pokemon were ready. William thanked her, and retrieved his Pokeballs. Percy ran up from behind the Nurse, and climbed up William’s shoulder.

“Come on buddy,” William said. “We better call home.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

“William!” Jade exclaimed.

William smiled weakly.

“Hey mom…”

William had requested a private room in the Pokemon center to make this video call. He still wasn’t sure what he was going to say to his mother…only that he had to say something.

“Where are you sweetie? Are you all right? I’ve heard about horrible things going on in Cerulean City…”

“I’m fine mom.” William said.

“Why didn’t you call me back?” She asked him. It was clear she was nervous and scared.

“Did you get my message?” William asked, knowing she had but asking anyway.

“Yes – and I called back to the Pokemon center. I asked Nurse Joy to tell you I called.”

William frowned, guiltily.

“…Sorry Mom, she didn’t tell me…” He felt bad for lying, but he didn’t want to tell her the truth.

“Oh.” Jade said, looking confused for a second. “Well, I still wish you would have called sweetie…”

“I know, I know, I’m sorry Mom. I’m really am.”

Jade studied her son’s face on the screen, and then asked slowly.

“Is everything all right William?”

William closed his eyes, and then said in a sad voice,

“…Not exactly.”

“Tell me about it.” Jade said, her eyes worried.

William told his mother about Mt. Moon. He told her how he had fought off Team Rocket twice. He told her how he had watched a young man die.

Jade’s eyes widened, sorry for the young man who had died yet glad it wasn’t her son.

William then told her about the Nugget Bridge Challenge. He told her about Juliet. He told her about the Mankey. He told her about the Rocket who almost killed him. He told her about the Rocket who jumped over the bridge into the bay, and did not remerge.

“Oh sweetie…” Jade said. “…I’m so sorry about Juliet…” William looked away, he couldn’t say anything. “You know William…you can always come back home. If you think this is too dangerous, or you don’t feel ready…quitting is not a cowardly thing to do. Sometimes, it is the smart thing to do.”

William looked back to the screen.

“No. I’m not giving up.” Jade studied her son for a moment, and then nodded her head.

“Very well sweetie. I’m truly terrified for you but…I have faith in you as well. You’ll make it through things, and you’ll figure it all out. You’re like your father that way.”

William felt his heart sink into his stomach, and his body trembled slightly.

“Anything else…William?”

William looked at his mother for a long second, considering his next words. But…he just couldn’t bring himself to say it.

“I went to challenge Misty next, and I beat her pretty easily.”

“That’s great sweetie!” Jade exclaimed. “You’re becoming such a great trainer.”

William shrugged.

“Nah, I just had some extreme type advantages.”

“Well nonetheless William, it’s an accomplishment to be proud of,” Jade said, smiling at her son. “What are you going to do now?”

“Well,” William said. “I was going to challenge the gym leader here in Vermillion, but…”

“But?”

“He’s performing at the S.S. Anne party tonight, so he’s closed the gym for the day,” William said, frustrated.

“Oh, but look at the bright side sweetie, you have all day to train up your Pokemon!”

“Yeah…” William sighed.

“I heard that party is going to be brilliant too…” Jade said, sighing. “The tickets are so expensive…”

“Really?” William asked. “Maybe I could sell mine…”

“What?” Jade said. “You have a ticket? How did you get one?”

“Uuuuuhhh,” William thought quickly. “Misty gave me hers.”

“Well…that was nice of her!” Jade said, shocked.

“Yeah…if tickets are so high priced though maybe I could sell mine…”

“You will do no such thing young man,” Jade scolded. “Scalping is a illegal.”

“But Mooommmm,” William protested. “It’s not like I’m going to go anyways.”

“But you should go,” Jade said sternly. “You need some time to relax and enjoy yourself – you’ve fallen tough times.”

“What will I wear?” William asked. “If you haven’t notice, my clothes are probably the filthiest in all of Kanto.”

Jade frowned, and then said,

“You stay right there…I’ll be right back!”

She then left the screen, leaving William to stare and it and wonder to himself.

What is she doing?

Several minutes later, she returned.

“Okay William, I scheduled you an appointment in one hour at the Vermillion’s Suits and Shirts and More store to be suited and measured for a suit.”

“WHAT?” William exclaimed.

“Don’t worry about it sweetie, the cost isn’t coming out of your travel funds, I already paid for it-”

“Mom!” William said. “You can’t afford something like this…”

“Oh, never mind what I can and can’t afford,” Jade said. “You need to go to this party, a little social interaction would be good for you.”

“But mooommm…”

“Now don’t forget – one hour from now. The store is across the street from the Pokemon Fan Club, which is near the Pokemart.”

And then, before he could protest any more, she hung up. William sat there, dumbfounded, before standing up angrily.

Percy was chuckling quietly at his trainer.

“I’m not going,” William said bluntly. “I’m just not going to go.”

“Piikaa,” Percy said sternly.

“No offence Percy, but I really don’t think you can force me to go.”

Percy widened his eyes at his trainer, and gave William a stern look.

---------------------------------------------------

One hour later, William stood waiting in one of the private dressing rooms at Vermillion’s Suits and Shirts and More store stripped to his boxers. The receptionist had told him to take off almost all his clothes, in order to allow for more precise measures.

William had been half-dragged there by his Pokemon. William had been right – Percy could not force William to go. But a combined effort of Tybalt (who had evolved into a Charmeleon) and Brabantio (William’s Ivysaur) could force him to go. Percy had let the two Pokemon out of their balls, and had told them what to do.

“Traitors,” William muttered under his breath. Percy was in the corner, playing with William’s discarded clothes, thoroughly enjoying himself.

As William had walked through the building, he saw only women working. He did not like the idea of being measured for a new suit by a woman while he stood only in his boxers. He knew he would blush, and he knew they would see him blush.

He heard footsteps approaching, and the sounded like someone wearing heels.

Great, William thought. At least I’ll probably never see this person again.

The curtain to the room was tossed aside as the dresser entered. Sure enough, it was a woman. But not just any woman.

“Oh my Arceus!” The dresser exclaimed. “William! How have you’ve been?”

Oh Arceus… William though. You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!

It was Val.
[+] Team Status
POKEMON:
Pikachy (Percy) 22
Nidorino (Fleance) 20
Charmeleon (Tybalt) 18
Butterfree (Desdemona) 19
Ivysaur (Brabantio) 19
Zubat (Mercutio) 6

BOXED:
Pidgey (Romeo) 15
Rattata (Henry) 4

Dead:
Spearow (Juliet)

Well? Surprised? Shocked? Maybe a few smiles at William's embarrassing situation?
Let me know :roll:

[+] Spoiler
I know it's been awhile, so in case you've forgotten, Val was the aid in Pewter city who help heal William and his pokemon after the Scyther attack. She left Pewter City because she wanted to explore the world, so she quit her job there. If you need help remembering, she was in Chapters 7 and 8.

Velvet
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym

February 5th, 2011, 5:49 pm #82

Well, this is nice, even if things are going to hit the fan soon enough. Poor Will; putting a suit on will be the least of his problems soon enough. (And poor suit, as it's probably even more DOOMED. I will be ASTOUNDED if that suit makes it through Part 4 unscathed.)

And to answer your earlier question; no, as far as I've seen, you haven't switched their names anywhere. That was purely my mistake; I just wrote the wrong name at that point, and somehow missed it entirely until you pointed it out. :sweatdrop: So no worries!
[+] Thoughts on Sons of Three!Surge:
Surge is interesting here. The idea that Jimmy attracted followers in the past is... more than a little troubling for plenty of reasons. Part of me wonders if his fighting with Surge over his methods didn't help push Jimmy further along his dark path in some manner: was there, perhaps, a real friendship forged between them? As they began to disagree and drift apart, did Jimmy feel betrayed by Surge, that the whole world was turning against him...? What, exactly, drove Jimmy to resort to such extreme methods in the first place -- why did he kill Flint?

...Was Jimmy always a pure and complete monster, or did he become one? And in either case, why...?

At any rate, I feel sorry for Surge, 'cause I get the feeling that Raichu's going DOWN. Probably Surge, too, but it seems highly likely he's going to see his closest partner die some horrible, grueling death first. Possibly taking the bullet(s, or some of them) for William and/or part of his team...? That would surely mess Surge up even worse....

(Of course, I predict this without having a CLUE what Raichu's personality will be like. Watch Raichu turn out to be, like, a psychotic Jimmy supporter and THAT being the reason why Surge broke off from him when he did or something...)
Still Waters -- A Fire Red Nuzlocke Story Run

TrainerBOB

February 5th, 2011, 11:17 pm #83

Velvet wrote:Well, this is nice, even if things are going to hit the fan soon enough. Poor Will; putting a suit on will be the least of his problems soon enough. (And poor suit, as it's probably even more DOOMED. I will be ASTOUNDED if that suit makes it through Part 4 unscathed.)

And to answer your earlier question; no, as far as I've seen, you haven't switched their names anywhere. That was purely my mistake; I just wrote the wrong name at that point, and somehow missed it entirely until you pointed it out. :sweatdrop: So no worries!
[+] Thoughts on Sons of Three!Surge:
Surge is interesting here. The idea that Jimmy attracted followers in the past is... more than a little troubling for plenty of reasons. Part of me wonders if his fighting with Surge over his methods didn't help push Jimmy further along his dark path in some manner: was there, perhaps, a real friendship forged between them? As they began to disagree and drift apart, did Jimmy feel betrayed by Surge, that the whole world was turning against him...? What, exactly, drove Jimmy to resort to such extreme methods in the first place -- why did he kill Flint?

...Was Jimmy always a pure and complete monster, or did he become one? And in either case, why...?

At any rate, I feel sorry for Surge, 'cause I get the feeling that Raichu's going DOWN. Probably Surge, too, but it seems highly likely he's going to see his closest partner die some horrible, grueling death first. Possibly taking the bullet(s, or some of them) for William and/or part of his team...? That would surely mess Surge up even worse....

(Of course, I predict this without having a CLUE what Raichu's personality will be like. Watch Raichu turn out to be, like, a psychotic Jimmy supporter and THAT being the reason why Surge broke off from him when he did or something...)
Your comments and speculations always make my day Velvet! :smile:
[+] A Few Answers...sorta
Jimmy and Surge never really developed a true friendship, although Surge tried desperately too. Jimmy rarely connected with another human being - he usually only looked at how people could be useful to him.

Jimmy was driven over the edge by something. While he was never a good person and was always a bit evil and cruel, there was one defining moment that pushed him to a, as you call him, "complete monster". This moment has been referred to once, very briefly. Towards the end of this story run, it will be described in full detail in one of Oak's diary entries.
[+] Also...
Velvet may not realize it yet, but based on the comments and speculations she has been making, she is right on track to figuring out the biggest plot twist in this story run. I wouldn't be surprised if she realized it suddenly and soon.
Expect another chapter up tonight! :roll:

TrainerBOB

February 6th, 2011, 3:17 am #84

*see reply in previous post*

Chapter Twenty-Four
[+] Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four: Plans

“Valeria?!?” William exclaimed. He felt blood rushing to his face and he knew he was redder than the scales of a Magikarp. “What…what are you doing here?”

Valeria’s features were as distinct and as beautiful as ever. Her nose was small and petite; her blond hair was frayed with a few strands of red running through it. She was slightly shorter than William, but not by much. And her skin hadn’t tanned at all from being in the harbor city – it was still the smooth marble white.

Valeria ran into William, and gave him a full body hug. William tried to stumble backwards, but her seemingly puny arms were strong enough to hold him.

“Oh William! I’m so glad you’re okay! I heard so many horror stories about horrible things happening in Cerulean City and Mt. Moon…” Valeria said as she pulled away.

“Uh, umm, ee…yeah I’m fine…”

“Oh, look at you,” she said, as she looked all over his almost-naked body. “You’re bruised all over! You must have had a tough go.”

William felt his face grow redder at the analytical look she gave his body.

“I’m…I’m…fi…fine…”

“William, you’re face is so red! Are you hot? Do you want some water?”

“No…no…of course not…I’m fine…” William stammered. But then a loud noise in the corner of the room caused both of them to look in the direction of William’s Pikachu.

“Pi-pi-pi-pi-pi-pi-pi-pi-pi…” Percy was rolling on William’s clothes, laughing uncontrollably at the situation.

“Is your Pikachu okay?” Valeria asked, sounding concerned.

“He’s fine…” William said, giving his Pokemon a nasty look. William turned back to Valeria, and quickly changed the topic of the conversation so she would stop examining the bruises on his body. “So Valeria, what are you doing here?”

Valeria reared her first back and punched him hard in the shoulder.

“Hey!” She said harshly, but smiled jokingly. “I told you my friends call me Val.”

“Sorry,” William said, grinning slightly. “So, Val, what are you doing here?”

“I told you I wanted to come to see the harbor-”

“I mean here. Working. In this store.”

“Oh,” Val said, blinking surprised. “I needed a little extra cash so I could purchase a ticket on the S.S. Anne. This is just my second day – it’s a temp day. It ends tonight, and then I’ll have the money to get a ticket.”

“I heard they were sold out?” William asked.

“My father is a sailor on the ship,” Val said. “He managed to get one reserved for me as long as I could find a way to ay for it.”

“Oh, I see.” William said. Val then walked over to the wall where a clipboard and measuring tape were hanging. She unhooked both of them and returned to William.

“Spread your arms apart, parallel to the floor please,” she said, assuming a professional tone of voice. William did as he said, trying his best not to get goose bumps as she measured his arms.

“So…what are you doing here?” Val asked, assuming the friendly tone again.

“Didn’t you kow? I’m taking on the Pokemon League Challenge, and Vermilion has a gym so…”

“No, no,” Val said. “I meant what are you doing in this store.”

“I know what you meant,” William said, smiling wolfishly.

“Then why did you-”

“I was teasing you.”

Val punched William in the shoulder again.

“Ow!” William exclaimed. “You know, for a girl of your statue, you hit really hard.”

“For a guy wearing only a pair of boxers right now,” Val said, smiling darkly as she moved to measure his left arm. “You’re awfully bold.”

William’s face blushed quickly again, and Val laughed. It wasn’t a cruel laugh though; it was a kind and gentle laugh.

“Come on William,” she said. “I thought we were done with all that blushing nonsense.”

“Wait…so when you offered me water…you knew I was blushing!?!”

“Of course.”

“Then why did you-”

“I was teasing you.” Val said, grinning wide. She was finishing measuring both his arms and she took some notes down on the clipboard. She then came close to him, and wrapped the measuring tape around his chest.

“So…you didn’t answer my question?”

“Oh yeah,” William said, swallowing nervously at her closeness, only to realize she probably noticed that. “I’m going to attend the S.S. Anne party tonight as well, so I need a suit.”

Val smiled at him.

“Wow – so I’ll get to see you there?”

“Yeah…” William said, shrugging like it was no big deal.

Val took a few more notes on her clipboard, and then wrapped the tape measurer around William’s hips. He swallowed nervously as she did so.

“So, how did you get your ticket?” Val asked. “It was my understanding that most trainers don’t make a lot of money.”

“We don’t,” William said. “Bill gave it to me.”

Val leaned away from William and took another note on the clipboard.

“Bill Yates?” Val asked. “Why did he give it to you?”

William bit his lip, trying to figure out how much he should tell her.

“Oh…I was patient enough to listen to his insane ramblings,” William said dismissively. When Val raised her eyebrows, William elaborated. “Remember that evil dude from the Battle of Threes? Bill has this theory that he’s still alive…or something like that.”

Val frowned, and then she shrugged.

“That sounds strange…history was never my favorite subject though…” Val went down to her knees on the ground. “I always preferred Math and Science.” She placed the end of the measuring tape on his foot, and then very slowly brought it up to William’s waist. He was sure she was playing with him.

“You’re favorite subject William?”

“Ummm…” William stammered. “English. Definitely English.”

Val smiled as she stood back up, and made one last note on her clipboard.

“Your suit is going to look great William,” she turned her eyes back to him. “Although, you may look better without it on…” She then broke out into a high-pitched laugh, as William blushed. He responded angrily, but angry in a joking manner.

“I think you’ve had too much fun Val.” She stopped laughing, but her smiled was still wide.

“I’m looking forward to talking to you some more at the party tonight William. I feel like we still haven’t caught up much.”

“Yeah, I’ll probably be a bit better at talking when I have some clothes on,” William said. Val laughed as she turned to leave the room.

“Your suit will be ready at 5 William.”

William sighed when he was finally alone. He was glad to see Val but…he wished she hadn’t seen so much of him.

William turned to look at his Pikachu who was in the corner. The Pokemon was still giggling at the whole thing. William couldn’t help but smile – Percy was cute when he giggled.

“Come on buddy,” William said, walking over and grabbing his clothes. “We’ve got a few hours to kill. Let’s get some training in before the party tonight.”

--------------------------------------

Surge sat in his back office, playing a quick-tempo song fiercely at the piano. His brawny fingers beat away at the keys, but he did so in a dignified, careful manner. His eyes never left the keyboard – even though the sheet of music was in front of him. Surge had long since memorized the piece.

Surge was a master at the piano. After Pokemon battles, fighting, and wooing women, piano was what Surge was best at. He didn’t need a whole day to practice before performing.

Yet Surge wanted to prolong the date of that battle as long as possible. So he had woken up early that morning, and moved the piano from his house to his office.

Surge beat against the piano fiercely, increasing the tempo to the already fast song. He let his frustration, anger, and fear flow out of him and into the music. He hated what Jimmy was going to make him do. He loved life – and Jimmy was making him destroy it. After the battle, Surge knew he would have not only killed another, he would have killed himself in a way.

And Surge hated himself for thinking like that. Here he was, worried about himself, and a young trainer was going to walk into his gym tomorrow, not knowing that the gym leader awaiting him was plotting his death.

Surge’s Raichu was dancing on top of the Lieutenant’s desk, spinning around and around to the fast paced song. He took after Surge in many ways – the Pokemon was a party Pokemon. However, at the same time, Riachu could fight. He could fight very well.

Surge glanced away from the keyboard just for a second to look at his oldest Pokemon. The Raichu had been with him the longest. He had lost many friends over the years, but his Raichu had always survived.

And now, far beyond the years of the average Pokemon, the Raichu was just as full as life as his trainer.

Surge hastily glanced back to the keyboard. He hadn’t told his Pokemon yet what they were going to have to do tomorrow. It was the first secret Surge had kept from his Pokemon in a long time. Surge wasn’t afraid Raichu would abandon him; he knew his Raichu would do whatever Surge asked. Raichu loved his trainer, and would do anything possible to keep him alive.

Even kill innocents.

Suddenly, the telephone started ringing. Surge stopped playing, and Raichu stopped spinning. The electric mouse fell flat on his bottom, dizzy from the dancing he had been doing.

Surge picked up the phone tenderly.

“Hello,” he asked, in a carful quiet voice.

“We both know you don’t need a day to practice Surge,” the cold voice said on the other line. “You’re not afraid to get your hands dirty are you?”

Surge felt his blood ice over. He turned to his Raichu, and said in as calm voice as possible,

“Hey Raichu, do me a favor and check the front porch will you? I thought I heard someone walk by.”

Raichu’s ears twitched, confused. But then the Pokemon shrugged, and ran off to complete his task.

Surge waited until Raichu was out of the room, before putting the phone back to his ear.

“How…how do you know I’ve closed the gym for the day?” Surge asked, his voice cracking. As far as he knew, the story was only printed in the Vermillion Journal. “Are…are you here? In the city?”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Jimmy snapped. “I have spies in every major city in Kanto. One of them reported it to me.”

“Oh…” Surge said, relieved.

“Don’t tell me your backing out on the mission Surge.”

“Of course not!” Surge exclaimed. “I’m just…just using the day to make sure Raichu is ready. I haven’t used him in battle for so long…I wouldn’t want to fail you.”

“No, no,” Jimmy said in agreement. “You most certainly do not want to fail me. You understand what will happen to you if William walks out of your gym alive – right?”

Surge swallowed nervously.

“I understand.”

“Good. I expect he will challenge you tomorrow. I hope you’re ready to kill by then. Good bye Surge.”

“Jimmy – wait.” Surge said. “Why are you making me do this? You said you have spies in the city – why not have them slit his throat or poison his food or something like that?”

Jimmy laughed cruelly.

“Isn’t it obvious?” He asked Surge. “Do you think I haven’t calculated what this will do to you and your spirit? I want to break you Surge. You’ve always been too happy. You’ve always loved life. You’ve always loved your Pokemon. It disgusts me. I want to see you break. I want to see you a cold, miserable bastard. I want to destroy you Surge.”

“Why?” Surge asked, in a terrified voice.

“Why the hell not?”

And with that, Jimmy hung up.

Surge slowly put the phone back, and he sat there sullen for a moment.

Raichu came running back into the office, excited and eager. He ran up his trainer’s leg, and landed on the piano. He started dancing on it, using his feet to play a song poorly.

“Hey buddy…can we talk for a second?”

Raichu jumped back to Surge’s desk, and turned to face his trainer. The electric mouse studied the bulking gym leader, with huge eyes.

Surge licked his lips…but he couldn’t find the words.

“Remember buddy…act cute around any chicks tonight.”

“Rai, rai!” Raichu exclaimed, sparkling his cheeks and laughing while he did.

Surge turned back to the piano, and he started playing again. Raichu resumed his dance on Surge’s desk.

He would tell his Pokemon what horrible task lay ahead of them tomorrow morning.

For now, he would let Raichu stay happy.
[+] Writer's Thoughts
Both a light, slightly humorous scene, and a disturbing dark scene.
A fun chapter to write...but not much actual Pokemon battling in it. :sweatdrop: Next chapter will feature some actual battling - I promise.
Comments, predictions, questions, concerns, and everything else will cause the kind of dancing farmers do when it rains after a long draught. :coolshades:

Epsi
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym

February 6th, 2011, 5:41 am #85

I've been toying with this idea for the last couple chapters...
[+] Prediction
I'm really curious to see if William will meet Surge on the ship, causing Surge to make a tough decision. A tough selfless decision.
Hello. Let's play some music.

Velvet

February 6th, 2011, 8:51 am #86

wrote:"For a guy wearing only a pair of boxers right now," Jade said, smiling darkly as she moved to measure his left arm. "You're awfully bold."

William's face blushed quickly again, and Val laughed. It wasn't a cruel laugh though; it was a kind and gentle laugh.
No wonder he's blushing -- stealth mom out of nowhere! You never mentioned Jade was a ninja... ::P:

Kidding aside, this chapter's pretty nice at setting up a sort of calm before the storm feeling... especially when the clouds roll in again with that phone call.
[+] I just hope...
I just hope that if Surge chooses to die on his own terms rather than obey Jimmy/disobey and live in fear... that he doesn't end up dying in a way that might make people suspicious of William. This is likely to be traumatizing enough without William having to deal with odd looks and whispers about the circumstances of another gym leader's death... and we definitely don't need Bill the Big Fat Jerk prancing around calling Misty and Jade all "I toooold you, I toooooooolllllddd you, he's totally HIS son~~~" :disgust:

Of course, if he disobeys and Jimmy kills him, I can completely see Jimmy framing William for it just to be a jerk.

Why kill William, anyway? To hurt Jade? Or is William the son of one of his brothers, adding another layer of revenge by proxy? Or is he just a complete monster doing this for the lulz?

Psyche
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym

February 6th, 2011, 5:13 pm #87

Heh, punching him when he's spotted with bruises. Ouch.
[+] Spoiler
I'm waiting for that William/Surge meeting on the ship as well... my thoughts are that he'll decide not to kill him after seeing him on the boat, let him go after the battle, and inevitably get killed/tortured by Jimmy.
Why don't YOU have a furret yet?
Crystal story run!
(COMPLETE)Yellow cartridge run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

TrainerBOB

February 6th, 2011, 6:17 pm #88

[+] Replies! :)
Epsilon wrote:I've been toying with this idea for the last couple chapters...
[+] Prediction
I'm really curious to see if William will meet Surge on the ship, causing Surge to make a tough decision. A tough selfless decision.
Hm...we shall see, we shall see :coolshades:
[+] Spoiler
I will say that they do meet up on the ship and talk...
Velvet wrote:
wrote:"For a guy wearing only a pair of boxers right now," Jade said, smiling darkly as she moved to measure his left arm. "You're awfully bold."
William's face blushed quickly again, and Val laughed. It wasn't a cruel laugh though; it was a kind and gentle laugh.
No wonder he's blushing -- stealth mom out of nowhere! You never mentioned Jade was a ninja... ::P:

Kidding aside, this chapter's pretty nice at setting up a sort of calm before the storm feeling... especially when the clouds roll in again with that phone call.
[+] I just hope...
I just hope that if Surge chooses to die on his own terms rather than obey Jimmy/disobey and live in fear... that he doesn't end up dying in a way that might make people suspicious of William. This is likely to be traumatizing enough without William having to deal with odd looks and whispers about the circumstances of another gym leader's death... and we definitely don't need Bill the Big Fat Jerk prancing around calling Misty and Jade all "I toooold you, I toooooooolllllddd you, he's totally HIS son~~~" :disgust:

Of course, if he disobeys and Jimmy kills him, I can completely see Jimmy framing William for it just to be a jerk.

Why kill William, anyway? To hurt Jade? Or is William the son of one of his brothers, adding another layer of revenge by proxy? Or is he just a complete monster doing this for the lulz?
:laughing: I rarely laugh when I make typos but that one was too funny. Thanks for the sharp eyes Velvet, :smile: I'll fix that...

I like your nickname for Bill - I have a feeling it is going to stick. And as far as your speculations go...well...for now I'll just say what I've said earlier. You're right on track to solving the biggest mystery of the plot. Of course, there are other surprises coming up...surprises that, as of now, I've managed to slip the clues by everyone. :biggrin:

And lastly,
wrote: Heh, punching him when he's spotted with bruises. Ouch.
[+] Spoiler
I'm waiting for that William/Surge meeting on the ship as well... my thoughts are that he'll decide not to kill him after seeing him on the boat, let him go after the battle, and inevitably get killed/tortured by Jimmy.
Psyche, you and everyone else is giving Surge more credit than I thought you all would...interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing reactions after the gym battle.
:)
I promise to have the next chapter up tonight!

TrainerBOB

February 9th, 2011, 2:50 am #89

Sorry this is extremely late...explanation is below.

Chapter Twenty-Five
[+] Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five: Contrast

“Vine whip!” William ordered. The vines sprung out of the sides of Brabantio and wrapped around the opposing trainer’s Poliwag, who tried to get away but was not quick enough.

“Break free – use Bubble!” The opponent – an old man wearing a ridiculous looking onesie – said.

But the Vine Whip was constricting the Poliwag to tightly, and the Pokemon could not muster up a Bubble attack.

“Now – slam it to the ground!” William ordered. The Ivysaur raised the Pokemon slightly higher in the sky before he brought it down with harshly.

Brabantio released the Pokemon from his iron grip. The old man, cursing softly under his breath, returned the Pokemon to his ball.

“I’ve noticed you battling others on this Route with that Ivysaur. Training it up for something?” The old man asked.

“Yeah – I’m challenging Surge tomorrow,” William said, returning Brabantio back to his ball.

“You are? Well, good luck. Surge hasn’t lost in a long time…if you don’t could yesterday’s battle with Chris Oak.”

William bit angrily down on his tongue. Yes – he had heard about Chris’s triumphant victory against the gym leader yesterday. Chris was always just a few steps in front of him.

At least, William thought, He isn’t here to rub my face in it.

William thanked the trainer for the battle, and started walking down the path that would lead him out of Route 11. It was time to get ready for the party. He walked with a quickness in his step, and Percy, on his shoulder, started giggling.

---------------

The S.S. Anne was huge. William gaped at it as he walked down the wooden planks leading to the giant ship. He was wearing his suit that had been custom made, and his normal brown, unkempt hair was combed down in a neat, fashionable sense. He was even wearing black dress shoes.

The ship was draped with shinning lights and glowing decorations. It looked less like something made for seafaring and more like something made for partying.

“Ticket young man?” The man in the black suit in front of the ship asked. His tone suggested that William didn’t have one, but his eyes grew slightly when William withdrew it from his pocket.

“Please…right this way sir…” He motioned William to continue on into the ship. William did so, too much in awe to even notice the raised eyebrows he was getting for Percy perching on his shoulder.

William entered the ship, and he immediately walked into an immensely large ballroom where the party was being held. Buffet tables lined up among the walls, though very few people were eating at them. Those who ate there were mostly old.

Everyone else was dancing, twirling around and around to a fast paced song that was being played. They all wore fancy suits and dresses, and they were all laughing and having a good time. William looked to the source that was playing the music, and saw Lieutenant Surge himself in the center off the ballroom.

Surge sat on a stool in front of the massive piano that was on a raised platform that was several feet off the ground. He played with an extreme expertise that allowed him to flirt with the women hanging around his piano while he played. The piano did not require all his attention.

On top of his piano was a Riachu and a Squirtle that were dancing together. The two Pokemon were laughing and smiling while they did so, truly enjoying themselves. They were not coming even close to doing the right moves, but the two Pokemon did not care. Several young children, who must have been there with their parents, where gathered around the podium, watching the two Pokemon with large, awed eyes.

William moved through the ballroom, feeling as if he were in a trance. To him, this all felt like a fairy tell. He passed by a rather large women who complied that something from the buffet table was too spicy, while something else was too dry. She complained, while William had never even tried either one of those dishes.

Percy saw a few Pokemon playing with each other over by a buffet table, and he jumped off to greet them. Before William could go after him, he heard someone from behind him call his name.

“William?”

William turned around, and found himself facing Valeria. His jaw dropped slightly when he saw her, and he couldn’t help say in an awed voice,

“Val…you look…amazing…”

She was wearing a long, glittering white dress that looked like it was made beyond something than normal fabric. The red strands had been washed out of her hair, and the normal frayed blond was now straightened into a length that reached her mid-back. She still wore no makeup, but her face was pale and pure.

She smiled at him – a simple gesture, but one that made William’s heart skip a beat.

“Thanks – you clean up pretty good you’re self.”

The fast paced song ended, and Surge started speaking into the microphone.

“Alright all you young men and women out there who are looking for your first love in life. This especially slow song is just for you.”

He started playing again, this time a song that crept through the air slowly and softly, but beautifully.

“Would you like to dance Val?” William asked her.

“I would love to.”

They walked up to each other, and William placed his hands gently on her hips, and she placed her hands on his shoulders. They rocked back and forth together, along with the rest of the group that danced to Surge’s slow paced music.

“You’re stepping exactly right…and here I thought you would have two left feet,” Val said, smiling slightly, but genuine awe in her voice.

William smiled, but he didn’t say anything. When it came time for it, the entire crowd performed a dancing dip together, and William and Val completed theirs just as skillful as anyone else.

“Wow William – now I am really impressed. Who taught you to dance when you were younger?”

“My mother did,” William said, leading Val perfectly into a spin. “She told me that the most romantic thing my father ever did was dance with her.”

“Oh wow,” Val said, falling into William’s arms as they dipped low together again. “So why didn’t you’re father teach you…?” She cut off when she saw the stony look on his face.

“I’m sorry William,” Val said quickly as William lifted her back up. “Is he dead or-?”

“I don’t know,” William said. “I know so little about him…I used to not care, but the past few days…they’ve sparked my curiosity.”

“What happened?” Val asked, in an awed whisper.

William avoided her eyes for a second, before saying softly,

“It…it happened at Bill’s house…he said-”

“Stop.” Val said, raising a hand from his shoulder and putting a single finger on William’s lips. “You don’t want to talk about this. It is causing you pain. So don’t talk about it – avoid the pain.”

William blinked, surprised.

“But…but I want to tell you…I want to confide in you…”

“No William – you don’t.” Val said sternly.

They danced in silence for several seconds, before Val asked-

“I feel like we didn’t catch up much today – tell me what happened after you beat Brock? You did beat Brock right?”

William smiled.

“Yeah…it was a close one though. Just barely managed to win with Fleance, my Nidorino.”

“Wow, that’s great.”

“Yeah…” William said. “At the time he was just a Nidoran though, so beating Brock’s Onix was like, really impressive.”

Val nodded, as William swung her out of his arms, held onto her by a fingertip, and the swung her back into his chest.

“And then? Mt. Moon? I managed to skid by without running into Team Rocket – you?”

“I ran into several of them,” William said, darkly. “One of them was killed by a swarm of Zubats, and the other ones escaped.”

“Oh my Arceus,” Val exclaimed in a soft whisper. “Thank goodness you made it out alive…”

“Yeah…” William said with a stiff shudder. He decided not to mention Joshua. “How did you get by Team Rocket?”

“I was too good and sneaky for Team Rocket,” Val said with a wink.

“That’s good.”

“And then you got to Cerulean City?” Val asked, as William twirled her around once more.

“Yep – I beat Misty much easier than I beat Brock, but I think that’s just cause I had a type advantage…”

“No, it was because you’re a great trainer.” Val insisted.

“No, I think it was just luck and the type advantage thing,” William said, chuckling softly.

“Oh come on,” Val said. “Pessimism is not in your nature.”

“It’s not?” William asked. “I think I’m a fairly sober and pessimistic person, especially after…what I’ve been through.”

“No William,” Val said, “You’re most definitely one of the most optimistic person I have ever meant in my life.”

“Oh?” William asked. “How so?”

“Well let’s look at the facts,” Val said. “You’re taking on the Pokemon League Challenge in a world where evil and darkness lurks around every corner and in every other soul you encounter. Almost everyone is rooting against you to fail. The common person doesn’t want to see someone rise up and become successful, it will make them feel bad about themselves when they continuously fail. The Elite 4 and the Champion most certainly don’t want to lose; they’re supposed to be the best trainers in the region. And even Gym Leaders don’t want you to win – if you beat them, then that hurts their win-lose percentages.”

“I don’t necessarily believe that,” William said.

“No William, the Elite 4 really does review the win-lose ratios at the end of every year-”

“No, no, not that,” William said. “The part about evil and darkness being…everywhere.”

“See then?” Val said. “You’re an optimistic then. You still believe there is good in people.”

“Well yeah...look at Nurse Joy for example.”

“Which one?” Val asked.

“All of them.”

“Including the one who was so rude to you in Pewter City just because you were going to challenge Brock?” Val asked, raising her eyebrows.

“She saved my life though,” William pointed out. Val smiled as she shook her head.

“See? Your taking into considerations only the positive side of life,” Val said. “Who else William? Who else is completely good?”

William was about to say Professor Oak…and then he remembered the dark secrets Oak was keeping from the world. He thought of his mother…and then he remembered the voice recording Bill had played for him and the dark secrets his mother was keeping from him. Then though, another person came to mind.

“You.” William said. “You’re one of the most happy, full-of-life person I’ve meant in my entire life.”

However, Val shook her head sadly.

“No William, I am the extreme pessimistic in the contrast to your optimistic,” Val said.

“Come on Val,” William said. “You’re always so happy.”

“That’s…that’s just being around you William,” Val said softly. “Somehow, you bring out the good and the happiness and me. And that makes me weak – I’m weak to have to depend on someone else for happiness. But it’s that way I am – I’ve known you for so little time, yet…there is something different about me when I’m around you.”

William was stunned, and he could not think of anything to say. Luckily, Val kept talking.

“But when I look at other people…all I can see is the bad. It’s how I justify-“ Val took a sharp breath, and then continued on, “it’s how I justify what I…what I almost did to myself when I was thirteen.”

“…What did you…almost do?”

“I tried to kill myself.” Val said in a broken voice.

For the first time in the entire dance, William missed a step.

“Val…” he said in a soft whisper.

“It’s just…it’s just…” Val stuttered. “I was in a bad place…I didn’t really have a family…and I felt so much pressure to take care of my younger brother…”

“What about your father?” William asked.

“Oh…” Val said. “He…he was there, sort of. But not in the way I needed him to be. Kind of…kind of like you.” Val shook her head. “Anyway…I tried to drown myself…and then…someone saved me. I don’t know why they did…they just did. And then, they let me and my brother join their family…and…since then I’ve been happier.”

“When did you move out?” William asked her.

“A few months ago,” Val said. “They…they were kind to me for a long time, but it was time for me to go and explore the world. See, there’s another thing William,” Val said, laughing cruelly at herself. “I want to see the world before it’s gone or I die. And I feel…I feel like either one of those things are going to happen soon.”

William frowned, and he brought her close to him.

“Nothing is going to happen to you Val. Nothing. I promise.”

“Oh William…don’t promise that…you can’t keep.”

William drew her even closer.

“Then I want you to promise me that you’re not going to let anything happen to you.”

“I can’t do that. Look at the odds in the world we live in today, the odds are so much against me…”

“Try. Try to think happily. Try to think of a world where you will grow up to be old. Try to think of a world where Team Rocket and the rest of the evil in this world doesn’t exist. Try.”

“Oh William,” Val said sadly. “I can’t, because that is the only world I know.”

William drew her even closer to where their bodies where almost touching. The two of them were no longer dancing; they were just standing there, with a few people rudely starring.

“Try.”

“But I can’t-”

“Try. For me.”

Val looked taken back, but then she closed her eyes. After a few seconds, she reopened them, and found William’s eyes and lips mere inches away from her own.

“I think…I think the upper deck is empty,” Val said. “Do you want to go up there?”

-----------------------------------------

Val pushed William against the wall of the empty hallway with a harsh shove as their lips locked together. William was surprised with her strength – she was much stronger then she let on.

William kissed her gently, while she kissed him with a wild ferocity. Their two different styles uniquely contrasted, but all the same they mixed together well.

Her hands ripped off a few buttons on his white dress shirt, and she pulled away with a gasp,

“Oh crap, I’m sorry-“

“It’s fine,” William gasped quickly, “I hate this stupid thing anyway.”

Val laughed as William dove his face back into hers, now returning her intenseness.

But it wasn’t long before they were interrupted.

“Pika, pika!”

Percy had run up the stairs to the upper deck, and was now jumping up and down rapidly, pointing to the stairs below. William and Val broke apart, and William frowned at his Pikachu.

“I love you buddy…but now isn’t the best time.”

“Pika, pikaaa!” Percy exclaimed, only starting to jump more rapidly.

“I think he’s trying to tell you something…” Val said, with a confused look on her face.

And then William heard someone approaching, walking up the stairs. William beckoned Percy forward, and the electric-mouse Pokemon ran up before his trainer and turned around to face the incoming person.

And then, without any other warning, Chris Oak appeared in view as he climbed up the stairs.

“Hello William,” Chris said, with a huge sardonic grin. “Long time no see – huh?”
[+] Team's Status

POKEMON:
Fleance 25
Percy 22
Brabantio 24
Desdemona 21
Tybalt 20
Romeo 15

BOXED:
Donalbain 19
Mercutio 6
Henry 4

DEAD:
Juliet
[+] Explanation
Sorry this is so late. I said this would be out Sunday night, but it's now Tuesday. Here's the story behind this chapter:

I wrote something and had it ready for Sunday night. But before I posted it, I read over it. And it sucked. The writing wasn't bad, but it was just 4 pages of William battling random trainers on Route 11. It had absolutely no plot relevance. You could have totally skipped what I wrote then and it wouldn't have mattered. So I deleted it and started over. That was at like, 11:30, so it was far too late to start writing something else. I went to bed.

I wrote it last night. As you saw, I decided to include a little battling (because I did go battle trainers there before going on the S.S. Anne), but I didn't include four freaking pages of it. Just one battle. And then, I included in this chapter the first half of what I planned to write in Chapter 26.

But it still wasn't good enough last night. So, I saved it, and then spent about an hour working on it tonight.

I'm still not completely happy with it, but I could work on it forever and I still wouldn't be happy. So, I posted it tonight. I hope it meets the standards of what I've been writing.

Comments, speculations, and constructive criticism will be loved. :roll:

Verminator
Conqueror of the Azalea Gym

February 9th, 2011, 3:04 am #90

You know, the rivals in runs are capable of some heinous acts. We recently saw Gary kill Rick in Petty's. May almost wiped Landwalker's entire team early in his run.

However, Chris has outdone them all with a precision cock block.

Terminate with extreme prejudice - justice demands it.
Hey! Verminator doesn't advertise!
Except for here.
[+] Spoiler
Banner by Kynim, whose art is currently being investigated as a possible cancer cure.

Psyche

February 9th, 2011, 3:15 am #91

Well that was awfully quick of them ;)

Getting odd feelings from Val now, not sure what to think of her anymore.
Why don't YOU have a furret yet?
Crystal story run!
(COMPLETE)Yellow cartridge run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

Velvet

February 9th, 2011, 6:55 am #92

I agree with Psyche; Val is getting interesting... definitely a good thing.
[+] More thoughts on her...
At the very least, she's shown to be more than a Shallow Love Interest (Generalized TV Tropes warning goes here) -- there's an interesting contrast between them. I like the aspect of her being the pessimistic one in the relationship; with what's recently happened to William, it'd be easy for him to be moping about and needing an excessively positive love interest to boost him up.

On the other hand, that does add another source of pressure on him. The girl he's falling for just told him that she tried killing herself, and that she feels either she's not long for the world... or the world's not going on much longer. That's... pretty troubling, to put it mildly. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried inviting her along on his journey, so that they could spend more time together and he could try to protect her... which could backfire horribly.

...It does feel a bit strange that she confided in him so quickly... especially when she stopped him from talking about something painful himself. Perhaps because she, again, doesn't feel she has long left for whatever reason...? I almost wonder if she was about to say "It's how I justify [something else -- but wait, that might upset him, crap, think fast...]" But what could that be...? :confuse:
...Also, completely randomly... is the Squirtle Surge's, or does it belong to one of the other trainers there?

TrainerBOB

February 9th, 2011, 11:22 am #93

[+] replies! :)
Thanks everyone! :)
wrote: You know, the rivals in runs are capable of some heinous acts. We recently saw Gary kill Rick in Petty's. May almost wiped Landwalker's entire team early in his run.

However, Chris has outdone them all with a precision cock block.

Terminate with extreme prejudice - justice demands it.
Haha, I was wondering if anyone would say Chris was cock blocking. He most certainly is.
The battle does take place in the next chapter :)
wrote: Well that was awfully quick of them ;)

Getting odd feelings from Val now, not sure what to think of her anymore.
Val is one of my favorite characters, just because I have something interesting planned with her. :)
wrote:I agree with Psyche; Val is getting interesting... definitely a good thing.
[+] More thoughts on her...
At the very least, she's shown to be more than a Shallow Love Interest (Generalized TV Tropes warning goes here) -- there's an interesting contrast between them. I like the aspect of her being the pessimistic one in the relationship; with what's recently happened to William, it'd be easy for him to be moping about and needing an excessively positive love interest to boost him up.

On the other hand, that does add another source of pressure on him. The girl he's falling for just told him that she tried killing herself, and that she feels either she's not long for the world... or the world's not going on much longer. That's... pretty troubling, to put it mildly. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried inviting her along on his journey, so that they could spend more time together and he could try to protect her... which could backfire horribly.

...It does feel a bit strange that she confided in him so quickly... especially when she stopped him from talking about something painful himself. Perhaps because she, again, doesn't feel she has long left for whatever reason...? I almost wonder if she was about to say "It's how I justify [something else -- but wait, that might upset him, crap, think fast...]" But what could that be...? :confuse:
Val is indeed interesting, and I'm glad you're enjoying her :) She is one of my favorite characters...and I can't wait for her to continue develop. I won't say too much about her, but I will say that you are right about how she was about to say something else.
Chapter 26 tonight....hopefully. It is a rather big chapter. Battle with Chris, conversation with chris, more talking with Val, and even...
[+] Spoiler
a conversation with Surge :)
Unless I have to split it up into two chapters, in which case that(^) will be in 27 probably.

TrainerBOB

February 9th, 2011, 11:31 pm #94

Chapter Twenty-Six
[+] Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Six: Happy

"What do you want Chris?" William asked angrily while Val caught her breath. Chris laughed and he raised his eyebrows at William.

Chris was wearing a pure black tux - even his button-up shirt was a kind of silky black. Hanging out on top of his shirt was the green gem, it gleamed in the light of the bulbs above.

"Come on William, that isn't anyway to talk to me," Chris said. "After all, we're like family."

William felt anger fume up inside in him and his fists clenches together. Val was straightening her clothes that were slightly lopsided.

"I'm not interrupting anything - am I?" Chris asked, smirking.

"Only things which I'm sure you haven't experienced," Val countered sharply. Chris's faced blushed a deep red color.

"Yeah? Why don't you keep your mouth shut you little slut-"

"HEY!" William snapped. He drew a Pokeball out of his pocket, and he enlarged it. "Don't talk to her like that. Or else."

Chris smirked at William, though his grin looked off when placed on his red face.

"Why don't you put your Pokemon where your mouth is?" he said, as he drew a Pokeball out of his own pocket.

William felt himself shake with inner rage. This was the guy who had killed Brock's Pokemon. This was the guy who had gotten sick jollies out of sending William to Bill.

This was the guy who had interrupted his kiss with Val.

But all the same, William deposited the Pokeball back in his pocket.

"No. Not worth it." William said, feeling himself cool down.

"What - afraid you might lose a Pokemon?" Chris asked. William felt the rage return as he thought of Juliet, and he grinded his teeth together.

"Kick his ass William," Val said, her own eyes narrowing. William hesitated, weighing the risks of fighting. "Besides...I'm curious to see your fighting style."

"Pika, pika!" Percy agreed, eager for a fight with William's rival.

"Alright, I'm in Chris," Will said. "Let's go Percy." The Pikachu sprang forward onto the space in the hall between Chris and William, and the electric Pokemon's cheeks sparkled.

"Hmph - predictable as always," Chris said. "Let's go Spearow!" Chris snapped open a ball, and the flying Pokemon flew out.

"Isn't this like the third time you've done this?" William asked. "Used a flying Pokemon against my electric? What are you trying to get accomplish?"

"Victory." Chris snapped. "Spearow - now use Peck attack!" The Spearow dove down with its peak pointed towards the Pikachu.

"Roll out of the way Percy!" William said. At the last second, Percy rolled out of the way to the right avoiding the diving attack, and the Spearow was forced to raise back up in the air to avoid the attack. "Now use Thundershock!" The Pikachu let loose a sharp electric attack, and the Spearow crumpled to the ground.

"Spearow - return!" Chris snapped angrily.

"Again, you lost because you chose the wrong Pokemon. When will you learn Chris?"

"Yeah - let's see how you deal with this. Go - Sandshrew!" Chris sent out his brown mole Pokemon. The Pokemon rolled out of the ball, and stood up on all fours. The two Pokemon started circling each other, snarling and growling at each other.

William bit his lips as he analyzed the type differences.

"Call Percy back William," Val said, watching anxiously. William nodded, agreeing.

"Return Percy," he said. Percy ran back to under William's feet, though he still snarled to the opposing Pokemon.

"Fleance," William said, grabbing a Pokeball out of his pocket. "Go!"

The purple Nidorion came trampling out of William's Pokeball, snorting and snarling, ready for battle.

"Use Scratch!" Chris ordered. The Sandshrew rolled forward towards Fleance, who stood ready to counter the attack. But then at the last second, the Sandshrew turned and started rolling around in circles around the Fleance. Fleance tried to keep track of the Pokemon with his head, but the Sandshrew moved to quick for him.

"NOW!" Chris yelled. Sandshrew uncoiled and jumped suddenly and unexpectedly, and drew its claws into Fleance's side. The Nidorino shrieked as he stumbled away, a deep cut bleeding out of his side.

"Fleance! Are you okay?"

"NI! N!" The Pokemon fiercely responded.

"Okay - use Horn Attack!" Fleance turned, and sprinted towards the Sandshrew, moving at a speed that was too fast for the Sandshrew to escape from the attack.

The Horn Attack didn't pierce through the ground type's skin, but all the same it sent the Pokemon flying backwards, and it landed harshly on its back.

"Return!" Chris said, looking slightly nervous.

"Now - go, Rattata!"

The purple rat came out onto the field, where it snarled in a pip-squeaked voice at the Nidorino.

"Hyper Fang!" Chris snapped. Rattata ran forward, opening his mouth wide, showing his brilliant fangs at Fleance.

"Dodge and Double-Kick!" William ordered. Fleance jumped in the air, avoiding the lunge the Rattata made with his teeth. Then, the Pokemon kicked down twice, slamming the Pokemon into the ground. Fleance landed back on top of the Rattata, and then kicked it away from him. The Pokemon slid across the floor, back to his trainer's feet.

"Rattata - return!" Chris said. He withdrew his last Pokeball, and exclaimed angrily,

"Alright Edward! Let's go!" The brown Eevee ran out of the ball. The Pokemon almost had a sardonic grin on his face.

"Fleance - you good for one more battle?"

The Nidorino roared in respond, both in a confirmation and an angry response to the very idea of being switched out.

"Tackle attack Edward!" Chris ordered.

"Double kick!" William ordered. The two Pokemon sprinted forward to face each other, and collided. Fleance sent Edward to the ground with a fierce double kick.

"Horn attack!" William ordered. Fleance stabbed the Pokemon with his horn, and the Eevee was sent backwards, squeaking in pain. Edward struggled to get back up, but he ultimately fell back to the ground.

"Edward...return." Chris said, defeated.

William recalled Fleance back to his ball, and turned around to smile at Val. She returned the grin, and she leaned in close to give a congratulatory kiss. Chris, however, cleared his throat.

“What do you want now?” William snapped. Chris merely raised his eyebrows.

“You don’t want to talk?” He was grinning again, and William knew he wanted to talk about Bill. William turned back to Val, and said in a quiet voice,

“Do you mind waiting for me…downstairs?”

She furrowed here eyebrows together, but then she relaxed and shrugged.

“Sure.” She turned, and walked towards the stairs, not even gracing Chris with a glance. When she was out of earshot, he asked William:

“So, did you enjoy meeting Bill?”

“You could have warned me.” William said, angrily. Percy, who had climbed up William to his shoulder, glared at Chris across the hallway.

“I could have – but honestly – would you have believed me? The two of us? Cousins? Or, even possibly, half-brothers?” Chris laughed cruelly at William.

William grinded his teeth together, and he snapped at Chris.

“You’re no cousin or brother of mine.”

Chris merely smirked at William.

“You don’t get it – do you?” William asked. “I’ve been lied to me entire life. The visit with Bill is making me question who I am! Yet you stand there and laugh about it!”

“You think it’s hard on you,” Chris snapped, the smirk on his face gone. “At least you still know who your mother is. Now I don’t even know that. My father was a child of Oak, so who was my mother? Some slut on the street?”

William was taken back by the sudden change in mood, and he realized that this had affected him far worse than he thought. But then William thought back to Brock’s Sandshrew…

“Don’t expect any pity from me,” William said. The almost hopeful look in Chris’s eyes was instantly killed. His expression formed a dark and angry one.

“Then expect none from me either.”

And with that, the two parted ways.

------------------------------------------

When William got downstairs, Surge was no longer playing the piano, someone else was. The dancing Pokemon that were on top of the piano were gone as well. People danced throughout the room, but the didn’t do so with as much life as they had when Surge played.

William craned his neck in the air, looking around for Val. He finally found her, in a corner. He started to walk her way, but he stopped when he saw she was talking to someone.

It was a young man, with straight hair that reached his neck. He was a little shorter than Val, and he looked a year or two younger too. He was wearing a waiter’s uniform and he looked a little ashamed of himself.

William looked to Val, who looked angry and was lecturing him about something. William was curious what it was about, but he decided to not invade her personal privacy. Instead, he turned around and walked towards the deck outside.

The wind hit him and it was cold. Freezing cold. But he could catch a glimpse of the water illuminated in the moonlight, and it looked beautiful. The deck was empty, and it was all silent. He turned to his Pikachu and asked,

“You don’t mind do you?” Percy shook his head, and William proceeded forward.

The harsh cold wind continued to hit him, but William continued until he reached the rail. When he did, William looked down to the bay below.

The blue, shinning water was beautiful. It was so clear that there was a second night sky, parallel to the one above it. Occasionally William saw a Magikarp or a Goldeen swimming beneath the water.

William raised his head to look at the stars and the moon rather then there reflection, and he smiled in appreciation of its beauty.

“I see I’m not the only one who enjoys the occasional beautiful solitude,” someone from behind him said.

William turned around, and found Surge studying him with a curious look on his face.

“Lieutenant Surge?” he asked, surprised. The electric-type Gym Leader smiled.

“The one and only.”

Surge’s suit fit him tight, his muscles seemed to be stretching the fabric. His eyes were calm and gentle, yet he studied William’s Pikachu with a guarded expression.

“What’s your name?” He said softly to William, while he continued to look at Percy.

“William.” William said. Surge nodded, as if he had known this all along. Then he turned his head away from Percy and walked to the rail to stand next to William.

He stood there for a long time in silence.

“…I’m planning on challenging you at he gym tomorrow sir.” William said, trying to break the awkwardness. Surge just nodded, but he didn’t seem to be really paying attention. Finally, he asked William quietly:

“Why did you become a Pokemon trainer William?”

William was surprised by the sudden question, and he could only ask back,

“What…what do you mean?”

“It’s not a very practical thing to do or become,” Surge said, as he stared out into the water. “A few lead good lives at the profession, but most don’t. I was an exception – I was talented. I had good Pokemon. I became a gym leader at a very young age and I have since led a happy, party-filled life. But I was lucky. I could have ended up as any other run-of-the-mill trainer. I could have made very little money. Gym Leaders get paid well William, but most trainers don’t.”

William nodded, he knew this was true. He got a little money each time he beat a gym leader, but it was not enough to support himself alone. His mother helped him occasionally.

“Why are you asking me this, Lieutenant?”

“I don’t know William…I just want to know why you decided to become a trainer.”

William thought about it for a second, and realized he had never asked himself that before. But, upon thinking, the answer was easy.

“Because I wanted to be a trainer,” William said. “Because training and battling with Pokemon is what makes me happy. And…it’s important to do what makes you happy.”

Surge nodded his head and said softly, partially to William and partially to himself:

“I see…you made a decision…based on what made you happy…”

“Isn’t that the way we should make decisions?” William asked. “Whatever outcome will lead to the greatest happiness, isn’t that the one we should always choose?”

Surge laughed. It was a joyful, happy laugh.

“Its simple kid. Simple but genius.”

He turned to walk away, but as he did so, he said over his shoulder,

“I’m looking forward to our battle tomorrow William. It should be…interesting.”

And then, the gym leader was gone. William returned his gaze to the water in front of him, and he stood there staring at it for several seconds, contemplating what he and the gym leader had talked about.

“Hey? Mind if I join you?”

William turned around, and found Val standing a few feet away, smiling at him. She had a small purse draped around her shoulder now.

“Hey,” William said. “Sorry about not joining you immediately…but you were talking to someone and I didn’t want to butt in.”

“Oh…that was my brother.” Val said, looking worried. “Sorry…I was…I guess I was yelling at him. You see…our father got him a job on the ship as a waiter but…he’s not exactly doing his job right…” Val sighed. “I’m just worried about him.”

“I’m sorry Val,” William said, as he was not sure what else to say.

“Its fine, let’s not talk about it anymore.” She stood staring out to the water with him.

“…Your purse is nice,” William said. “Where was it earlier?” Val blushed as she looked down at it.

“Oh…I just got it out of my room.” She unzipped it and took out a very tiny box.

“Your room?” William asked surprised. “You mean…you’re not just here for the party? You’re taking the cruise too?”

“Yes,” Val said, frowning. “I thought you knew that?”

“Yeah, yeah,” William said quickly. “Of course I did.” Val smiled at him kindly.

“Oh William, don’t worry, we’ll see each other again soon. The cruise is only two weeks long.” William nodded.

“Alright…where does it land at?”

“Cinnabar Island,” Val said.

“Where are you going after that?” William asked her. Val shrugged, and smiled.

“Who knows? Kanto has lots of places to explore,” William looked away, and Val quickly said, “But don’t worry about it! We’ll see each other again soon. I promise.”

They both stood in silence, before Val, still holding the box in one hand, offered William a button.

“This…this is one of the buttons I ripped off of you,” she said, smiling embarrassed. “Sorry again about that.”

“Oh it’s fine…” William said, grinning as he took the button. “Like I said, I don’t really like this thing all that much anyway.” Val laughed, and then William quickly realized he might have made a horrible mistake.

“Wait…you didn’t make this did you?” He asked, gesturing to the suit. Val shook her head.

“No, no, I didn’t make it, I only measured it,” Val said. She started studying the suit though, and then she said, “Had I made it though…I would have added some flair to it. Made it…special.”

William smiled.

“I would probably have liked it more if you had designed the suit.”

“You would have,” Val said. It wasn’t a theoretical wondering, it was a statement.

“I probably wouldn’t have been able to afford it though,” William said.

“Oh, sure you could of,” Val said, smiling. “I’m not afraid to barter.”

“Oh?” William asked.

“Yes. For example, I’ll take a deposit right now.”

“What can I give you?” William asked, assuming she was joking.

“Well, close your eyes,” Val said. William did as she said, and the next second he found soft, gentle lips pressing against his. The kiss only lasted for a few seconds, and when it was over William opened his eyes.

“I think that’s a fair deposit,” William said, with a grin. “To be honest, I would have been willing to give more though, you shouldn’t had asked for so little.”

Val laughed.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get my payment. You don’t even know what the full price is yet.”

“Oh really?” William asked, his smile widening. “I might be really to pay for it full in advanced.”

“Hm?” Val asked, as the two of them leaned together closer.

But then, suddenly, a large voice called out from over the intercom:

“The ship will be setting out to sail soon. We need all those who only have tickets for the party to please get off the ship. We repeat: we need all those who only have tickets for the party to please leave the ship. Thank you, and good night.”

William sighed as he and Val leaned away from each other.

“I guess that’s my cue to leave,” he said, starring angrily up at the sky.

“It’s okay, all good things have to end sometime,” Val said.

“Not if you can prolong them forever,” William said.

Val smiled at him, and then she raised the box up so he could see it better.

“Here William…this is for you. It’s a present.”

“Val…I can’t take something…”

“No please, take it. It will help you, especially against Surge.”

William took the small black box, and he held it in his hand. For something so small, it was surprisingly heavy.

“Don’t open it now…don’t let anyone see you with it. Someone could try to steal it. Wait till you get to your room at the Pokecenter. Open it there.”

“…Okay,” William said, studying Val carefully. “Thank you…thank you so much Val.”

“No, William, thank you,” Val said. “You give me hope where there is none.”

William pocketed the small black box carefully.

“My Pokemon and I will keep growing stronger Val. One day I’ll be able to protect you from everyone and everything in the world.” Val smiled sadly at him, and she leaned up and kissed him softly on his cheek.

“There isn’t a way you can protect me from myself William.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, alone in the dark, William sat in his bed in the cheaply rented room in the Pokecenter. The last words Val had said disturbed him, and he truly worried about her. He had come to the realization that he cared about her, and he wanted no harm to befall her. Although he had not spoken to them, he hoped her brother and her father were enough to protect her on that ship.

The small black box Val had given him was on the blanket in front of him. William very carefully took off the lid, and he picked up the small, but heavy object that was inside.

He studied it for a second, mystified at how Val could have found such an item. It would indeed be useful to him – especially against Surge. But should he use it now…or wait? To use it would be to accept a big change.

William carefully put the item back in the box. He would have to decide later – there was no way he could make a decision like this one late at night.

Percy was curled on William’s pillow – he took up half the space. William laid down on the other side, and he scratched the electric Pokemon softly.

“Rest up buddy…tomorrow’s a big day.”
[+] Team's Status
POKEMON:
Fleance 27
Percy 24
Brabantio 26
Desdemona 23
Tybalt 20
Romeo 15

BOXED:
Donalbain 19
Mercutio 6
Henry 4

DEAD:
Juliet

Any ideas what the object could be?
Gym battle is next!

Verminator

February 9th, 2011, 11:45 pm #95

Moon stone for Fleance, perhaps?

One of the few ways of improving this run would be the inclusion of a Nidoking to tear it up.
Hey! Verminator doesn't advertise!
Except for here.
[+] Spoiler
Banner by Kynim, whose art is currently being investigated as a possible cancer cure.

Entice
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym

February 10th, 2011, 12:18 am #96

I'm thinking Thunder stone, but I've been wrong before. Keep going with this story, I'm loving it.
My computer sucks.

Velvet

February 10th, 2011, 8:49 am #97

[+] Lots to comment on this chapter!
It's sort of surprising that Chris was so put off-balance by Val's dig at his presumed inexperience. In some odd way, it's more humanizing. He's used to controlling things with his pokemon, but it seems he hasn't found anyone he could control as his 'love interest' -- and I apply the term loosely, while fearing the possibility of him going out and finding such a victim in the future.

...For some reason, Val encouraging Will to fight sent shivers down my spine. Maybe it's just her word choice: 'I'm curious to see your fighting style'...?

...And what is he trying to accomplish, sending a flying-type against an electric-type? He claims it's for 'victory' -- what sort of 'victory' does he mean...? Is he trying to provoke Will into killing one of his partners just so he can try playing the "We're not so different" card?

......His reaction after the fight just makes me even more worried that's the case. ...And raises questions about Chris's home life. Another hint that an underlying theme could be that monsters aren't born, they're made...?

You didn't answer my question if the Squirtle dancing with Raichu was one of Surge's or not... but I guess it doesn't matter. Even if it is, it's highly unlikely someone who runs an electric-based gym would use a water-type during the fight, especially with his long-time partner Raichu on hand...

Nice little conversation between Surge and William. Very calm and simple, though of course, the readers are aware there's more to Surge's question than Will realizes...

Mysteriously appearing purse combined with mysterious conversation with mysteriously nervous waiter who may or may not be Val's mysterious brother makes me not-so-mysteriously worried about all the mystery surrounding Val. She offered plausible explanations, but... All the talk about 'full price' only makes it worse.

What could be in the box...? I'll second Verminator's guess of a Moon Stone: while a Thunder Stone could also make sense, I don't think those are accessible yet in actual gameplay, while you could have easily picked up a couple Moon Stones back in Mount Moon. Plus, evolving Fleance would make him half-Ground, a clear advantage against Surge.

Epsi

February 10th, 2011, 3:35 pm #98

Well, it can't be a thunderstone, because in pokémon yellow pikachu will refuse to let you use it. Likely it's a moonstone.
[+] diddleedoo
And I've been suspicious of Val since she came back into the story - I have a feeling she's working for someone, but it's not Jimmy. There is definitely a risk associated with whatever she's up to, and while she really likes William, she doesn't want to hurt him. I see William is catching on to this, however slowly.
Hello. Let's play some music.

Entice

February 10th, 2011, 6:18 pm #99

Epsilon wrote:Well, it can't be a thunderstone, because in pokémon yellow pikachu will refuse to let you use it. Likely it's a moonstone.
Really? I had no idea. Then again, I've never played past Surge in Yellow.
My computer sucks.

TrainerBOB

February 10th, 2011, 11:57 pm #100

[+] Replies!
Verminator wrote:Moon stone for Fleance, perhaps?

One of the few ways of improving this run would be the inclusion of a Nidoking to tear it up.
We'll see... :biggrin:
[+] Spoiler
Although I will say I love Nidokings.
Entice wrote:I'm thinking Thunder stone, but I've been wrong before. Keep going with this story, I'm loving it.
Wow - thank you! I will keep things going, new chapter tonight!
Velvet wrote:
[+] Lots to comment of this chapter!
It's sort of surprising that Chris was so put off-balance by Val's dig at his presumed inexperience. In some odd way, it's more humanizing. He's used to controlling things with his pokemon, but it seems he hasn't found anyone he could control as his 'love interest' -- and I apply the term loosely, while fearing the possibility of him going out and finding such a victim in the future.

...For some reason, Val encouraging Will to fight sent shivers down my spine. Maybe it's just her word choice: 'I'm curious to see your fighting style'...?

...And what is he trying to accomplish, sending a flying-type against an electric-type? He claims it's for 'victory' -- what sort of 'victory' does he mean...? Is he trying to provoke Will into killing one of his partners just so he can try playing the "We're not so different" card?

......His reaction after the fight just makes me even more worried that's the case. ...And raises questions about Chris's home life. Another hint that an underlying theme could be that monsters aren't born, they're made...?

You didn't answer my question if the Squirtle dancing with Raichu was one of Surge's or not... but I guess it doesn't matter. Even if it is, it's highly unlikely someone who runs an electric-based gym would use a water-type during the fight, especially with his long-time partner Raichu on hand...

Nice little conversation between Surge and William. Very calm and simple, though of course, the readers are aware there's more to Surge's question than Will realizes...

Mysteriously appearing purse combined with mysterious conversation with mysteriously nervous waiter who may or may not be Val's mysterious brother makes me not-so-mysteriously worried about all the mystery surrounding Val. She offered plausible explanations, but... All the talk about 'full price' only makes it worse.

What could be in the box...? I'll second Verminator's guess of a Moon Stone: while a Thunder Stone could also make sense, I don't think those are accessible yet in actual gameplay, while you could have easily picked up a couple Moon Stones back in Mount Moon. Plus, evolving Fleance would make him half-Ground, a clear advantage against Surge.
Oh! I'm really sorry, I forgot to answer your question about Squirtle in your last comment! I read it, and then just forgot, my fault :sweatdrop: . To answer it now, Squirtle is one of Surge's Pokemon, Squirtle is just not one of Surge's "battle" pokemon if you will.

I don't know if I've said this before, but Val is one of my favorite characters, just because of the plot element she introduces. I'm glad she's causing so much speculation. :smile:

I tried to develop more of Chris's character in this chapter, as I realized he was rarely featured. I'm trying to figure out a way where I can work him in some more, so I can show his character grow even more. Based on your comments, it seems he provided some thinking which is good. Hopefully I can develop him even further by showing him a little bit more.

And while almost everything Val said was intended to have a deeper, mysterious meaning, "full price" was actually one of the things that wasn't. "Full price" was just more like a sexual innuendo, sorry if I made it seem more than it was. :sweatdrop:

And Thunderstones couldn't have been obtained yet, so... :roll:
Epsilon wrote:Well, it can't be a thunderstone, because in pokémon yellow pikachu will refuse to let you use it. Likely it's a moonstone.
[+] diddleedoo
And I've been suspicious of Val since she came back into the story - I have a feeling she's working for someone, but it's not Jimmy. There is definitely a risk associated with whatever she's up to, and while she really likes William, she doesn't want to hurt him. I see William is catching on to this, however slowly.
As I've said, Val is one of my favorite characters :biggrin: