Forum rules
You can't post new threads here.
If you have a run that's finished, please post it in Written Story Runs first. Then PM a
, and they'll move the thread for you!

Feel free to post in the runs that are already here, though!
Verminator
Conqueror of the Azalea Gym

February 3rd, 2011, 1:54 am #61

I just read this through from beginning to end. The whole thing is fantastic, but the last chapter was equal parts touching, tragic, and intriguing. What Will just did, and more importantly, what he THOUGHT, betrays a meaner streak to the character that he probably isn't comfortable acknowledging. And then there's the issue of his descendancy...

There's more to this than you're letting on, I can tell.

I'm watching like the KGB.
Hey! Verminator doesn't advertise!
Except for here.
[+] Spoiler
Banner by Kynim, whose art is currently being investigated as a possible cancer cure.

TrainerBOB
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

February 3rd, 2011, 4:34 am #62

Chapter Nineteen
[+] Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen: A Fiery Spirit

The Head Officer Jenny of the Cerulean City Police Station was sitting at her desk, in awed shock.

It was becoming too much to handle.

Just earlier this morning, that kid William had come scrambling out of Mt. Moon, carrying a fossil that Team Rocket had been after. Another trainer, a boy by the name of Joshua, had already died trying to save the fossil.

And then, after examining it for evidence, the fossil was given to Joshua’s mother. Less than an hour after being home with it, Team Rocket broke into her house, killed her, and stole the fossil. The fossil, in a way, had now claimed two lives.

Two team Rocket members were involved with the break-in. One of them, the executive, had gotten away. The other was arrested. He was a fresh recruit, even though he looked to be in his late twenties. Since being captured, he had tried to kill himself several times. Officer Jenny knew why. Tales of horrible things happening to Team Rocket members that were arrested had circulated Kanto. It was believed that Team Rocket themselves were behind the gruesome murders of their own. It was theorized to be both a punishment, and a warning to other members to not get caught.

So the Team Rocket member – whose name he had not given them – was completely tied up in one of their back rooms. The door was guarded by two guards, and the room had no windows. He still screamed, and begged to be killed.

Those two events alone had made the day difficult for Officer Jenny. But of course, that was not all that had happened.

She had just got back from a crime scene at the bridge. The same kid, William, had revealed a scheme of Team Rocket. The Nugget Bridge Challenge, which Officer Jenny had already been suspicious of, was a sick kind of recruiting booth for Team Rocket.

The five trainers who were fighting along the bridge were taken into custody for questioning. They seemed, for the most part, to know nothing. Meanwhile, the Rocket that had been behind the whole scheme had taken a dip in the bay. He had not reemerged – and Officer Jenny knew he wouldn’t. William, who had uncovered the whole thing, had of course been let free to go. But there was a look in his eyes that told Officer Jenny that the whole event had deeply disturbed him. He had lost a Pokemon to one of those five trainers, and she knew it had been his first to lose.

But she couldn’t tarry on thoughts like that. Officer Jenny wanted to close her eyes, and fall asleep on her desk. Team Rocket was pushing her to the point of exhaustion. Over the years they had grown bolder and more daring. Now, normal citizens in good neighborhood-type cities, like Cerulean, weren’t safe. Joshua’s mother was proof of that.

Officer Jenny let out a deep sigh.

It was becoming too much to handle.

-----------------------------------------------

Todd Hath had spotted a trainer, and he wanted to battle. The problem was, the trainer wasn’t in much of a battling mood.

“No.” The trainer stated simply, and then turned to walk away.

“Hey! You can’t just refuse a Pokemon battle!”

The trainer turned back around, and something about his look intimidated Todd. It was not menace, or anger, or hatred. It was cold, and it lacked emotion. The trainer’s clothes were travel-worn, and there were a few blood spots here and there. A Pikachu perched on his shoulder, and the look on its face did have menace and anger in it.

“Why?” the trainer asked simply. His voice did not hold any malice in it, nor did it hold a threat. But Todd still felt threatened by it.

“Because…because its not honorable!”

For the first time, the other trainer displayed some emotion. He laughed coldly, and then said quite seriously,

“Don’t talk to me about honor.”

He turned to walk away, but Todd still did not give up.

“Go – Charmander!” He sent the fire lizard out of his Pokeball, and the Pokemon shricked in ferocity:

“CHAR, CHAR!”

The other trainer turned around, and raised his eyebrows.

“You know, I’m on a first name basis now with the police department now – and I think this could qualify as harassment.”

But the threat did not deter Todd.

“Come on, what are you chicken?”

This did not provoke the trainer, but it did his Pikachu. The electrical mouse jumped down from the trainer’s shoulder and he hissed at the Charmander.

“Come on Percy,” the opposing trainer said. “This isn’t worth it.”

“PIKA!” The Pikachu snapped, determined to battle.

Todd laughed, but he couldn’t make it sound cold like the other trainer’s laugh did.

“Looks like the Pikachu wears the pants in this relationship!”

But the trainer was ignoring his jib, instead he was looking at the Charmander.

“What happened to him?”

“What do ya mean?”

“He’s injured.”

“Well, duh,” Todd said. “We’ve been training.”

“Did you bother healing him?”

“Nope, it will make him a better Pokemon,” Todd said in a condescending voice, like everyone should know it.

“That doesn’t make any sense…it’s just plain stupid,” the other trainer said.

Todd scoffed, and then asked him a question.

“What’s your name kid?”

“Kid? We’re the same age.”

“I said – what’s your name?”

The other trainer rolled his eyes.

“William.”

“Well, Will-I-Am, I’m going to show you why I’m better than you are.”

The Pikachu and Charmander had ignored the entire exchange, there were too busy exchanging glares.

“I’m not going to fight a Pokemon that’s damaged and needs healing.” Todd felt his frustration and anger boil over. Though he couldn’t be sure, he felt as if William was judging him.

“Well…we’re not going to give you a choice! Charmander, use ember!”

“Dodge it Percy!” William cried out, and the Pikachu easily rolled out of the flames way. Todd grinned – he knew he had finally roped William into the battle.

“Now use thundershock!” The Pikachu stretched his body high up, and then let out a strong electric attack.

It hit Charmander straight on, and the lizard crumpled to the ground, where he struggled to get back up.

“The battle is over,” William said. “Recall your Pokemon and heal it. Now.” What bothered Todd about it was the tone in William’s voice. It was a direct order. But Todd couldn’t deny his Pokemon was too tired to keep fighting. He raised his Pokeball, and sent the red beam to recall Charmander.

But the lizard rolled out of the way at the last second, and he jumped to his fest, ready to battle still.

“All right Charmander!” Todd said, pumping his fist in the air. Charmander was breathing heavily, and he was having trouble standing. But he did not fall down…yet.

“You’re Pokemon is too tired to battle anymore,” William said. “Be responsible – and call it back for its own good.”

“You’re just afraid you’re going to lose. Charmander – use another ember attack!”

Charmander opened his mouth and let lose a stream of fire.

“Dodge it Percy,” William said. Percy once again easily slid out of the way of the incoming attack. “Now, use quick attack – but be gentle!”

Percy sprinted across the grassy field and collided into the Charmander, but it was clear the attack was not full force. All the same, Charmander collapsed to the ground.

“Come on!” Todd yelled. “Get back up!”

Shakily, Charmander rose to his feet.

“Call him back,” William said. “The battle is over.”

“NO!” Todd yelled.

“Percy, another quick attack.” William said, his voice holding contempt for Todd.

The Pikachu sprinted in a circled around Charmander, before finally colliding with him and knocking him to the ground again. Charmander struggled to rise, but this time he could not get back up.

Todd returned Charmander to his ball, and then looked at the Pokeball in disgust.

“You’re weak and pathetic,” he finally said. And with that, he threw the Pokeball on the ground, intending for it to rush for an eternity. And then Todd walked away.

--------------------------------

William watched Todd go with disgust, not understanding how one could not treat one’s Pokemon with respect.

He walked over to the discarded Pokeball, and he let the Charmander out. The orange lizard immediately fell over into William’s hand once set free, his eyes closed. The Pokemon was unconscious. William sighed as he reached into his backpack and pulled out one of his last few potions. He sprayed it on Charmander, healing wounds as he did so. Percy watched, his ears perked. The once fierce battle expression on the Pikachu’s face was gone, and it was now replaced with an expression or worry for his fellow Pokemon.

Slowly, the Charmander returned to his senses, his eyelids ever so slowly rising up.

“Char, char?”

“How you doing buddy?” William asked him, spraying another potion on the fire-type Pokemon. Charmander stretched out in William’s lap, and replied with a lazy,

“Chaaaaaar.”

William chucked gently as he reached into his bag and grabbed one last potion to restore the Pokemon to almost full health.

Charmander leapt out of William’s lap and he jumped up and down, eager and excited.

“All right then buddy, I’m glad you’re doing better.” Charmander returned to William and he rubbed his head affectionately against William’s chest. William leaned back a little, carefully watching the flame on Charmander’s tail. “I think…I think your trainer abandoned you, so its best for you to return to the wild.”

Charmander looked up at William sadly, and he continued to rub his head against William’s chest. William stood up slowly, and awkwardly.

“Sorry, but you can’t come with me. It’s too dangerous…you might…you might never get to come back…here.”

“Pikaaa,” Percy said to the Charmander. Charmander would not budge though, he continued to stare up at William.

“Okay soooo…bye.” William turned and walked away, heading towards Route 25, where Bill lived.

“CHAR, CHAR!” Charmander said, following William. William grinded his teeth together, and he forced himself to ignore the Pokemon.

“CHAR!” Charmander said desperately. William continued to ignore it. A quite voice inside his head was telling him how useful and rare a Charmander is, and how he would need a good fire-type…

But no, William thought. I will not condemn any more Pokemon to death…

And then, he felt something sharp bite into his left calf.

“OW!” William cried out in pain. He spun around, and looked down. Sure enough, Charmander’s jaw was clenched on his left calf. William looked to Percy, expecting to see a sign of aggression. But instead, his Pikachu appeared to be laughing.

“Oh fine!” William said. “You can come with.” He unclipped a ball from his belt, and he tapped Charmander with it. Charmander disappeared inside the Pokeball, and the sharp pain in his leg went with it.

William raised the Pokeball to his eye level to look at it. This was the ball that had carried Juliet. William prayed silently that history would not repeat itself. Before clipping the ball back onto his belt, William said softly to it,

“Welcome to the team…Tybalt.”

----------------------------------------

Within seconds after passing a sign that said Route 25, William saw a wild Pidgy. The Pokemon was pecking at the grass, looking for berries of some kind.

“Let’s not worry about it Percy,” William said, and he turned to walk away. Memories of Juliet were still fresh on his mind.

But, William’s Brabantio had something else in mind.

The Bulbasaur leapt suddenly and unexpectedly out of his ball, and landed on the grass, eager for a battle.

“What?” William exclaimed, surprised.

Brabantio was jumping up and down, pointing excitedly at the wild Pidgey with the vines that came out of the bulb on his back.

“You want to battle it?” William asked surprised. “But…but…but you’re at a type disadvantaged!”

The Pidgey had turned its head on its side, and was watching the exchange curiously.

Percy climbed down William’s back, got a Pokeball out of his backpack, and then carried it back up to William, shoving it in his face.

“You two want me to catch it?!?” William exclaimed. He looked between the two Pokemon, who were watching him the way a doctor watches a mental patient.

“What is this – a therapy secession?”

Both Pokemon raised their heads to the sky, suddenly finding something interesting in it. William sighed, but he couldn’t help smiling.

“Alright…go Brabantio – use vine whip!”

Vines jolted forward out of Brabantio’s sides and the wrapped around the wild Pidgey, who had tried to escape. The bird Pokemon was trap, and could not move. William took the ball out of Percy’s hands, and hit Pidgey with it. Pidgey disappeared inside, and did not struggle for long.

He had been caught.

William walked over to the ball, and picked it up.

“Romeo,” he said simply, closing his eyes as he said it. An instant later, the Pokeball was gone. William knew it had been transported to the PC system.

“All right guys,” William said. “Let’s move on. Bill’s house should be close.”

William turned around, only to find Percy starring in mystic wonder at Brabantio, the Bulbasaur. Only, Brabantio was no longer a Bulbasaur. He had evolved – into an Ivysaur. Brabantio was celebrating, and William couldn’t help but smile.

--------------------------

William had made it. He had reached the door to Bill’s house. His spirits had improved slightly – he knew he had his Pokemon backing him up.

But William now hesitated at the door. There was mockery and condescending in Chris’s voice when he told William he might learn something. And now, William was afraid of what that something might be.

William took a deep breath.

And then he knocked at the door.
[+] Team's Status
Current Team:
Pikachu (Percy)
Nidorino (Fleance)
Butterfree (Desdemona)
Bulbasaur (Barbantio)
Zubat (Mercutio)
Charmander (Tybalt)

Boxed:
Rattata (Henry)
Pidgey (Romeo)

Dead:
Spearow (Juliet)
[+] A few thoughts
I am just too excited about having a Charmander nicknamed Tybalt. It has put me on Cloud Nine. Seriously.
Oh, and I checked, and Charmander is obtained on Route 24, so catching a Pokemon on Route 25 was totally legit :)
[+] Replies
Verminator wrote: I just read this through from beginning to end. The whole thing is fantastic, but the last chapter was equal parts touching, tragic, and intriguing. What Will just did, and more importantly, what he THOUGHT, betrays a meaner streak to the character that he probably isn't comfortable acknowledging. And then there's the issue of his descendancy...

There's more to this than you're letting on, I can tell.

I'm watching like the KGB.
Thank you, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) I was going to be lazy tonight, but your comment motivated me to write and then update.

Oh, and...
Verminator wrote: There's more to this than you're letting on, I can tell.
:biggrin: I plead the fifth. :biggrin:
I promise I'll keep doing my job - you won't leave the edge of your seat. Part 3 isn't nearly as exciting compared to what is coming in Part 4. But for now I have Chapter 20 to write. I hope to get it out tomorrow...but I got a lot going on school-wise, and I this chapter needs to be perfect (as it is a very important chapter), so I won't make any promises. Just as a heads up, it will be strictly a plot chapter - mostly a conversation between William and Bill. But I promise to make it interesting.

Psyche
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym

February 3rd, 2011, 4:41 am #63

Poor Romeo, he never got to meet Juliet :x

I hope William doesn't lose another Pokemon anytime soon, I have a feeling he'd be even more devastated :C One death is already so harsh on him.
Why don't YOU have a furret yet?
Crystal story run!
(COMPLETE)Yellow cartridge run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

Epsi
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym

February 3rd, 2011, 5:49 am #64

Ugh, but no Bill yet! You just love that suspense, don't you?

oh, and I haz a gift : happy fart day!
Hello. Let's play some music.

TrainerBOB

February 3rd, 2011, 6:08 am #65

[+] Replies
Psyche wrote: Poor Romeo, he never got to meet Juliet :x

I hope William doesn't lose another Pokemon anytime soon, I have a feeling he'd be even more devastated :C One death is already so harsh on him.
When I caught Juliet, I totally planned to catch a Pidgey someday and then call it Romeo and then have a joking bonus chapter once day. But then...that didn't work out :x_x: So, I named the Pidgey I caught Romeo kind of in honor of Juliet instead.

AND:
Epsilon wrote: Ugh, but no Bill yet! You just love that suspense, don't you?

oh, and I haz a gift : happy fart day!
Oh. My. Arceus. That. Is. The. Bestest. Thing. Ever. Thank. You. So. Much. I. Am. So. Stunned. And. Over. Come. That. Every. Word. I. Type. Is. A. Complete. Sentence.

YOU ARE AN ARCEUS EPSILON!

Can I like, use this in my signature? The art I have there right now is so crappy and this is so much better! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!

Okay, so now I AM DEFINITELY promising Chapter 20 by tomorrow night!

Epsi

February 3rd, 2011, 6:16 am #66

TrainerBOB wrote:Can I like, use this in my signature? The art I have there right now is so crappy and this is so much better! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!

Okay, so now I AM DEFINITELY promising Chapter 20 by tomorrow night!
of course! :biggrin: I'm glad you like it!

Velvet
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym

February 3rd, 2011, 6:32 am #67

Oh, I should have realized it was James. I'd even wondered about that, but the 'bowl cut' threw me off. :blush:

Hopefully we won't be seeing Todd again; I could easily see the hypocritical little punk accusing William of stealing the pokemon he abandoned. And what is it with fire-types getting abused? Seems to be a trend...
Still Waters -- A Fire Red Nuzlocke Story Run

TrainerBOB

February 3rd, 2011, 12:09 pm #68

Velvet wrote:Oh, I should have realized it was James. I'd even wondered about that, but the 'bowl cut' threw me off. :blush:

Hopefully we won't be seeing Todd again; I could easily see the hypocritical little punk accusing William of stealing the pokemon he abandoned. And what is it with fire-types getting abused? Seems to be a trend...
Sorry, it was totally my fault for not being clear and using the wrong words - please don't feel bad because of my mistake :ohdear:

And...
[+] Spoiler
I don't have any plans to bring him back - for now. If something momentous happens, that could change - and you made a good point. Todd could say something like that...

TrainerBOB

February 4th, 2011, 2:11 am #69

Update:

Chapter Twenty
[+] Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty: A Son

“Come in, please do come in!” A high-pitched voice called from inside. William uneasily turned the doorknob, and slowly entered the cottage.

It was a one room house, with a single bed in the corner.

And the rest was complete choas

There were two flat screen TVs in the room, facing each other on opposing walls. They were both on a different news station, and each television was muted. Papers were everywhere. On the floor, stapled to the wall, falling out of filing cabinets. But more than anywhere else, the papers had completely covered a desk that sat in the middle of the room. The desk had four desktop computers on it, each humming with a technological ferocity. It was truly high-tech stuff.

Of course, this was the house of Bill Yates – the man who had made the Pokemon PC system that was ran and operated by the government. The man who had contributed significant upgrades to the Pokdex. Behind Professor Oak, Bill was the smartest, most innovative man in Kanto.

And he was only 28 years old.

He secluded himself in the cottage on Route 25, where he was rarely bothered. Most people didn’t know much about Bill, they only knew of his accomplishes. Besides, people didn’t exactly like Bill. They found him annoying and clinging.

“May I help you?” Bill asked politely, his glasses dropping down his nose. Bill was tall, awkward, and lanky. His face was dotted with a few freckles, and his hair was messy and looked like it hadn’t been washed in a few days. He wore a green turtle-neck that had black stripes on them. His jeans were too short, and his ankles were showing when he sat down.

“My name is William,” William said, still standing in the doorway. “I’m looking for Misty – I wish to challenge her to a Gym Battle.” William knew Misty wasn’t there – based on what Chris said – still he knew that was his purpose being there, so he said it.

Bill’s face changed from a look of curiosity to a different emotion in one quick instant, but it was one that William could not identify.

“Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes that’s right,” Bill said hurriedly. He made many haste movements as he cleared off his desk, throwing stacks of paper on the ground.

Bill reached beneath his desk and pulled out two mugs and a pitcher full of brown liquid. He then indicated to the chair facing opposite of him, and asked in a polite voice,

“Would you like to sit down?”

William, feeling incredibly awkward, closed the door behind him and slowly walked to the seat.

“Coffee?” Bill asked, indicating to the pitcher.

“Uh…sure.” William said. Bill poured two cups and offered one to William. He took it, and, out of politeness, took a sip.

It tasted disgusting. Percy, who was on William’s shoulder, leaned down and took a sniff of it. The Pokemon reared his head back in disgust in one quick second.

Bill merely held the coffee in his hands, and studied William for a long moment, until William broke the silence.

“So…where is she?”

“Who?” Bill asked, confused.

“Misty.” William said, frowning. Bill still looked confused, before he recovered and said hastily:

“Oh yes, yes, yes, that’s right, yes that’s right. Misty. She just left about ten minutes ago, or so.” William raised his eyebrows at Bill, knowing the man was lying.

“So she was here?”

“Of course.” Bill said absently, still studying William.

“But know she’s heading back to the gym?” William asked.

“That’s right.”

“…Then I better get going there.” William said. “Thanks for the coffee.”

“Oh no – oh wait!” Bill said, exclaiming as William started standing up. “Take a rest, relax. Surely you must be tired! Besides…I have a few questions for a trainer such as yourself.”

William wondered what Bill was trying to get at. Surely someone like Bill who had many government and private projects to work on didn’t want to talk to a run of the mill trainer like William. All the same, William sat down. His curiosity of Bill’s curiosity had been spiked.

Bill took a long sip from his coffee, (William wondered how he could stand such a long sip) and then asked:

“So…why did you want to be a trainer? Did your parents inspire you…or something like that?”

This was strange – William knew that.

“Yeah, kind of.”

“Your mom? Or your dad?”

“My mom was a trainer at one point in her life, she tried the Pokemon League Challenge. She lost all of her Pokemon at one point though.”

“And your dad?” Bill asked, leaning in eagerly.

“I don’t know much about my father,” William said. “He left my family when I was born.”

“Oh, I am so sorry to hear that William,” Bill said. Though he didn’t seem happy. An excited smile had actually broken out on his lips. “Where are you and your mom from?”

“My mom was born in Celadon City. I was born there too, but shortly after wards my mom and I moved to Pallet Town.”

“Oh…you’re from Pallet Town!” Bill exclaimed excitedly. But…the voice was off. Like it had been scripted. “You must have all the dirty gossip of Professor Oak then!”

“Dirty gossip?” William asked. “Professor Oak lives a quite life in Pallet Town; he doesn’t have any scandals.”

“You mean he hasn’t had any since the incident with his children?” Bill asked, taking a sip of his coffee.

“What incident with his children?” William asked. Bill raised his eyebrows, and he set his coffee back down. William felt slightly annoyed – he had a feeling that Bill had planned this whole conversation out. But William wanted to know what Bill was driving at, so he played along.

“You don’t know?” Bill asked. “I know very few in the world know, but I would think a neighbor of Professor Oak would.” William shook his head.

“Well, it’s an interesting story,” Bill said, his voice trailing off as if he was considering something. He leaned back in his chair and raised his eyebrows at William. “Would you like to hear it?”

“Sure,” William said. Bill took another sip of his coffee, and then stroked his chin, where a few hairs were growing.

“What do you know of the Battle of Threes?”

“The Battle of Threes? I know what was taught in the government issued history books.”

“And what did the books tell you William?” Bill asked.

“It was an epic clash between three powerful trainers. One of them, a Pokemon League Champion, had gone rogue and had somehow managed to catch the three Legendary Bird Pokemon. The other two were trying to stop him. The evil trainer had already killed hundreds and destroyed a few towns in the process. The dark trainer was stopped and killed, but he took the other two trainers down with him.”

Bill nodded, and then said slowly.

“That…is only part of the story. Very few people know the full story.”

“What does this have to do with Professor Oak?” William asked, annoyed.

“Why – everything William. Just be patient.” Bill said. He leaned back in his chair, and starred at the ceiling. Then, he stared telling the story.

“You see, there was this trainer named Jimmy. He had many great ambitions, and he showed all the right signs of becoming a great Pokemon trainer. He selected his starter Pokemon – a Squirtle, and then he went through the eight gyms. He blasted through each one, none of them proving to be difficult. But through the process of completing the challenges, a darker side to Jimmy was shown. For instance, Flint was killed by a so-called accident in the Pewter City Gym Battle.”

William nodded slowly, still not understanding how this related to Professor Oak, but he paid attention nonetheless.

“After obtaining all the badges, Jimmy went on to challenge the Elite 4. He swept through them all, without any difficulty. Then, finally, he challenged the champion. But by this time, Jimmy’s darker side had become evident. He had committed many crimes and horrible deeds to get to where he was. And when he challenged the champion, he pushed his Pokemon to the limit, and each one of them died. They had become just as dark and evil as he was – but it was sad all the same.”

Bill took another sip of his coffee, and then continued.

“After that, Jimmy vanished for several years – angry and bitter. He returned to the world five years later – with the command of the three Legendary Birds under him. Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. With these Pokemon he wrecked havoc on the Elite 4. When Jimmy battled the champion, he killed every one of the champion’s Pokemon.”

“And then what happened?” William asked – roped into the story.

“Jimmy went on to try to cause as much destruction as possible in Kanto. Two trainers went to stop him, and they did. It became known as the Battle of Threes. All of them since vanished after the battle. The government presumed them to be dead, but no bodies were ever found.”

William bit his lip.

“Okay…that’s interesting, but that doesn’t sound like a whole lot more than what the government books taught me. Besides the part of no bodies being found that is. And how does it relate to Oak?”

Bill smiled cruelly, knowing he had William hooked into the story.

“What the books don’t tell you is that the two trainers who stopped Jimmy were Jimmy’s younger siblings. And…they were all three children of Professor Samuel Oak.”

William leaned back in his seat – shocked.

“That’s…that’s…that’s impossible. The…the whole world would be talking about it if it knew something like that.”

Bill sighed.

“The government is powerfully influenced by the Champion and the Elite 4. Whoever was the champion before Jimmy became the champion again once Jimmy was presumed dead. The Champion – whoever they are – is sympathetic to Professor Oak, and he largely influenced the government to censor materials that would make this information public knowledge. Of course, as I have shown, one can still get this information.”

William struggled to connect all the dots.

“Why…why does any of this matter now? Why do you care about this?”

And why am I still here?

“Because, I am a part of a private investigation team that is trying to find Jimmy,” Bill said, very business like. “We believe he is still alive – and wherever he is, he is planning something. We even believe he may have even joined our society again, with a changed name. And now he sits among the masses, waiting and plotting.”

William was taken back from the sudden admission.

“Was this why I was sent here?” William asked, annoyed. “To give you information about Professor Oak and his family?”

“Yes.” Bill stated. “Please William – help us. It is to do good.”

William bit down on his lip angry.

“Sorry, but like I said, I know nothing. The only thing I know about Professor Oak is his daughter died in child-birth when delivering Chris Oak.”

“Now you see,” Bill said, flipping through some pages and showing them to William. “Until the day Chris is born, there are no records or indications of a Page Oak existing. She was not born at any hospital. She never had a job. She never got married. She was not at the Battle of Threes, where all of Oak’s children were. She simply poofed into existence the day Chris came to this world.”

“Are you saying Chris is not Professor Oak’s grandson?” William asked.

“No, we believe Chris is an Oak,” Bill said. “We just believe a fake life was fabricated to hide the fact that one of the real three children of Oak was one of his parents.”

“Well, in that case, I really can’t help you,” William said, as he started to get up to leave. “I truly know absolutely nothing.”

“Are you sure?” Bill asked. William nodded, and he turned to the door. “What about your father William?”

William stopped, and he turned around slowly.

“Excuse me?” William asked. Bill was trying hard to keep clam, but drops of sweat were appearing on his face.

“What about your father?” Bill asked again, in a quieter voice.

“What are you implying?” William asked, angrily. “That my father is somehow involved in this mess?” Percy, on William’s shoulder still, was studying Bill with an angry expression, just like his trainer.

Bill looked uncomfortable.

“We…those who are investigating the case of Jimmy Oak…believe you are a grandson of Professor Oak. We believe you are a son of one of his children. We believe that you are a Son of Three.”

“That’s ridiculous – just because I don’t have a father?” William exclaimed. Bill shook his head.

“Brock said that you and Chris fought with a ferocity that he had never seen before and…”

“Brock?!? Brock is involved in this?” William exclaimed. Bill nodded meekly as he realized he had given away too much.

“Well…yes…”

“And you’re basing a theory of my father on a battle?” William snapped, his voice harsh.

“Of course not,” Bill snapped, though he was weak and timid. “I have done research – and I have found a few interesting facts.”

Bill cleared his throat as he picked up another piece of paper.

“According to travel records by the government, your mother, Jade Shake, left Kanto 17 years ago to the Hoenn region, and has since not returned. Yet she is here, living in Kanto. Why would there be an error such as that in the records, unless you two were hiding from someone.”

The information was like a dagger to William’s chest. But still – he denied any possibility that his mother had kept something like that from him.

“Mistakes in paper work happen,” William said, but he sounded like he was trying to convince himself more. “Kanto is still the only region to do most of its travel reports by paper

“Mistakes?” Bill asked, his tone condescending. “Do you think it is a mistake that until several weeks ago, when you registered for a Pokedex, there was no governmental documented proof of your existence?”

William felt his heart go cold. He remembered Professor Oak telling him there was a problem with his paper work but it had all been sorted out

“Do you know where your personal files are William?” Bill asked. “They are with the personal files of the gym leaders, the government’s politicians, the elite four, and the Pokemon professors. All of these people are the most important people in Kanto, and this database is nearly impossible to break into. Why would they go to all the extra trouble to protect one teeny trainer like you? And you know who else is in there with you William? Chris Oak.”

William couldn’t answer Bill.

“Want to hear something even more interesting William?” Bill asked, his once weak voice becoming fierce. William was backing up, he didn’t want to know anything else. “Someone is looking for your mother right now William. Someone who has that has the resources to hack into the government database and not leave much of a trail behind.” Bill was standing now. He had knocked the coffee mug over in his jump out of his chair, but he didn’t care.

“Why would someone be looking for your mother William? Is it because she hid from a man his son for sixteen years? Or is it because he wants to kill her for not standing by his side at the Battle of Threes?”

“PIKA!” Percy screamed at Bill, trying to get him to be quiet. The Pikachu could see the effect the words were having on his trainer. William was clutched against the wall, his eyes distant and afraid. So many things were beginning to not make sense. But he still held on to one truth-

“No…my mother wouldn’t have lied to me! She loved me…and she wouldn’t lie to me!”

“Oh really?” Bill asked, his eyes dark.

He slammed his fist down on a computer screen, and an audio recording played. They were blasted out of a stereo, and the noise of the conversation between Bill and Jade filled his head. He could not block it off.

“Come on Jade, help us, and we’ll track this guy down. If you don’t, he’ll eventually find you, and then he’ll do whatever it is he wants with you.”

A pause. And then-

“Give it up Bill…he’ll eventually realize you’re looking for him. And then he’ll kill you.”

William cried out in pain, and he fell to his knees. Bill stopped the audio clip, and he smiled smugly.

“What do you know William?” Bill asked him.

“Nothing…nothing damnit!” William screamed. Percy tried to comfort him, but William ignored his Pokemon, he was trembling with rage. “I KNOW NOTHING!”

“Don’t give me that shit!” Bill screamed. “Everyone we’ve talked to has said that. ‘Nothing, I know nothing’. Well that’s bullshit!

William turned his head away, too angry with himself and the whole world to even look at Bill.

“Come on William – come on! THINK! Just one thing – just one thing! Tell us something that your mother told you about your father. All we need is one thing, and that could make the difference. That could be the final piece to one of the many puzzles. We might find out where or how Jimmy is now, or we might find out who your father is, or we might find out who Chris’s parents really are.”

William didn’t answer.

“Pikaaa,” Percy said, patting William gently on his head.

“Come on William! I know you’re wondering – I know what you’re thinking. You’re afraid you might be Jimmy’s son. You’re afraid you might be the son of the murderer who caused so much destruction and hatred.”

William still did not turn.

“You know William…the rocket that put those cameras on the bridge wasn’t very smart about it. I was able to wireless hack into them.”

That got William’s attention. His eyes, filled with hatred, slowly turned to look at Bill.

“I saw what your Desdemona did to that Ekans.” Bill stated.

“That was out of desperation!” William roared.

“Oh? And what about what you did to that Mankey. THAT wasn’t out of desperation,” Bill was judging William with the harshest look possible in his eyes. “You could very well be Jimmy’s son William – you certainly seem to have the same spirit he did-”

“PIKA!” Percy roared, his cheeks sparkling with electricity.

But for a change, William didn’t scream in his defense. Instead, he looked down at himself in horror and disgust.

“Just tell me something William. Help me to help you.”

William closed his eyes, and then said calmly.

“She…she always told me I was just like him.” William said, in a defeated, weak voice. “And…and she told me once he had a great destiny. That was why he had to leave.”

“That is all you know William?” Bill asked, raising his eyebrows.

“That is all.” William said. He stood up, off of his knees, turning to go. He felt violated, used, and like his inner soul had been torn a part.

Bill did not question any more. He knew William had told him everything he knew.

“Wait…William.” William, who was at the doorway, stopped. He turned around, afraid what Bill would say to him now.

Bill picked up something off his desk, and then walked around it. He handed the paper to William. William slowly took it, and examined it.

“That’s a ticket to the S.S. Anne. Should be…fun. I was invited, but after…I don’t want to go.”

William tucked the ticket in the pocket, not sure if he, himself, wanted to go. William didn’t say anything.

“Look…I’m sorry about getting so emotional…its just…I’m sorry…but…its real important we find this guy…” Bill took a deep breath. “Look…if I found out anything, I’ll let you know.”

William nodded his head to Bill, not trusting himself to speak.

And then, without another word, William left.

[+] A Few Words
First of all, chapter 20. This is the longest chapter yet, but I also think it is the quickest to read.

It took my a long time to write, and edit, and try to make as good as possible. I think around 4+ hours. Luckily, tomorrow is a snow day, so I don't have to worry about school! Otherwise, I would be in trouble.

Anyway, there is a lot to this chapter, and I hope I didn't leave anything out. More importantly, I hope you enjoy it despite its length. This chapter was designed to clarify what the driving plot is, but at the same time it will give you a few new questions hopefully. And for the geniuses out there that has figured everything out - don't get too comfortable. :coolshades: I have a few interesting side plots to come as well. :roll:

Secondly - a shout out to Epsilon. My signature has changed, thanks to her. She's truly awesome, and I cannot express how so grateful and indebted I am to her for drawing and making me those images. Right now my desktop is the signature image, and it makes me excited every time I look at it. She's an awesome artist.

Thirdly, a thank you to everyone who has followed me thus far, you all are what keep me going. I promise to keep things exciting and interesting for you all. I am glad you are enjoying it, and I promise to continue doing my best, and do everything possible to make my best better.

And finally, I might have Chapter Twenty-One out late tonight. Like I said - tomorrow is a snow day, I don't have to worry about school! :biggrin:

One last Chapter, and then it will be time for Part 4. I'm looking forward to writing another diary entry of Oak's, and some of the other plot twists coming. This is becoming insanely fun, and at the same time I am fearing for William, and the rest of my cast of characters.

Verminator

February 4th, 2011, 2:40 am #70

Intriiiiiiguing.

At first I was going to say that Bill was an asshole, but you've made it clear that what's going on is a big deal seeing as he's worried his life is on the line.

Keep it awesome.
Hey! Verminator doesn't advertise!
Except for here.
[+] Spoiler
Banner by Kynim, whose art is currently being investigated as a possible cancer cure.

Epsi

February 4th, 2011, 3:39 am #71

right, all the foreshadowing becomes reality! But it looks like Bill didn't know much more than we did - way to keep the crowd hooked!

Velvet

February 4th, 2011, 6:52 am #72

...Well, now.
[+] Rambling reaction hidden behind here...
Wonder how long Bill practiced that speech. He certainly seemed to take quite a bit of pleasure in it -- of course, he was quite upset with Jade earlier, and had every reason to believe this would hurt her. ...Which doesn't speak well of his character, if he actually enjoyed the notion of hurting her by proxy like that, even with their last conversation still fresh in his memory. And regardless of what happened in the past, it's completely unfair to take out his frustration on Jimmy.

Of course Jimmy would be one of the sons... but which one?

...Does it matter?

Regardless of the circumstances behind his parentage, Jimmy is his own person. He is not his father -- and trying to define him solely based on a parent who was never around for him is patently ridiculous.

If Bill was looking to recruit William, EPIC FAIL. In fact, I sincerely doubt he was honestly attempting to get him on his side. He can claim otherwise all he want, but even a severe lack of people skills doesn't justify his treatment of a young man who was completely unaware of all the DRAMA surrounding his family's past.

Bill wasn't trying to help. This was a calculated assault. He wanted to hurt Jade, he wanted to hurt Oak, and he knows he could never hurt Jimmy -- so he went after the first target that presented itself.

Killing the Mankey was an act of vengeance, yes -- but also an act of passion and grief, born out of losing a pokemon for the very first time to an utterly unrepentant trainer. Desdemona was fighting for her life. Did Bill take any of that into consideration? Or did he simply ignore everything that didn't support his hypothesis about William's possible parentage having an effect on him?

I can understand his being concerned for his safety, or for the woman he cares about, even if she doesn't return his feelings. On the other hand, he certainly saw nothing wrong with revealing Brock's involvement -- a potentially fatal mistake if William was somehow connected to Jimmy. What if William was the type to go around killing trainers out of some twisted need for revenge...?

William will likely be looking into this more on his own, but it certainly won't be because Bill did his side any favors.

In fact, on a meta-level, Bill may have just cut down his life expectancy considerably... He has dispensed plot-relevant information in a way that makes him extremely unsympathetic, and shown signs of an incredible lack of judgment. That sort of thing could get somebody killed, even without a psychotic murderer running around wanting to tie up loose ends... to say nothing of the fact that Bill knows where Jade is. Does Jimmy...?

TrainerBOB

February 4th, 2011, 7:14 am #73

Just a general warning: there is a particular bloody scene in this chapter. I don't think its too bad, and I don't want to deter anyone from readying it. But all the same, I don't pull any punches...so proceed with caution.

Chapter Twenty-One
[+] Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One: Misty, the Gym Leader

When William finally got backed to the Pokecenter, it was late. Too late for a gym battle. He registered for a room in the center, and went off to bed. Before he left though, Nurse Joy told him:

“Your mother called earlier, she wants you to call her right away,” Nurse Joy looked worried. “She seemed pretty concerned, and it sounded urgent.”

William thanked her for delivering the message, and then he left and went to his rented room – without calling his mother.

He couldn’t face her right now. He knew she justified the lies with the urge to protect him, and maybe that was a good justification. But still, William didn’t want to talk to her. He needed to think things over.

He immediately got in the bed when he entered the room, shoes on and all. Percy curled into a small ball next to him, but the Pokemon didn’t fall asleep. He stayed awake, watching his trainer stare at the ceiling in silence.

It was three hours later when William finally fell asleep.

It was three hours and one minute later when Percy fell asleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Officer Jenny of the Cerulean Police Department left the police station at 11:47. She normally stayed only until 11:00. Law required her to stay only until 9:00.

When she left the office, all was peaceful and quiet. The front lobby secretary was packing up to leave herself. Two new guards had just been rotated in to guard the room that the Rocket prisoner was in. And the Rocket prisoner was sitting in a corner in his room, jumping at every sound. At least his screaming had stopped.

Jenny came back into the station at 4:15 in the morning, the time she arrived every morning. Law required her to be there at 7:00.

When Jenny got there, the station was quieter then she had left it the previous night.

Of course, that was primarily because everyone in it was dead.

The first sight Jenny saw when she entered the front was the front lobby secretary dangling from a rope tied around a ceiling fan. She had never made it out of the station the previous night. The murderers must have come in mere minutes after Jenny left.

The secretary’s shirt had been pulled off of her chest, and tossed aside to the floor. Someone had used a knife to carve an ‘R’ on her chest.

Team Rocket.

Jenny stayed rooted to one spot staring at her dead secretary for a long minute. Then, very slowly, she reached into her pockets and put on a pair of gloves. She knew what to expect from the rest of the station. It was a crime scene now; she must not contaminate it. Jenny reached into her bag that she had dropped to the floor at the sigh of her secretary, and pulled out a pair of booties. She put them over each shoe, slowly and carefully.

Then, Jenny proceeded to examine the rest of the station.

Computers lay broken on the ground, papers had been torn to shred, desks on their sides, and filing cabinets were emptied out. The whole place was a mess. But Jenny did not care about any of that at the moment. She cared about the back of the station, where she knew she would find more dead bodies.

She did.

Laying on the floor in front of the door that led to the room holding the Team Rocket were the two guards. Both of them were dead. The female looked like she had been sexually assaulted, and the male’s head had been cut off. They each lay in a pool of blood.

Jenny withdrew her Pokeball from her belt, and she turned to face the door that led to the room that held Team Rocket. It could be a trap – someone could be waiting for her.

With great caution, Jenny turned the door-knob, and she pushed the door open.

Nothing could have prepared her for what was inside. Upon seeing it, she turned around, and vomited out the eggs she had eaten for breakfast.

The room had been gray and concrete last night. It was now red.

The Rocket’s naked corpse lay in the middle of the room. It had been completely destroyed. The skin of his body from his neck down had been peeled off, revealing the bloody muscles beneath. The skin on his face had been left, if only so he and the horror on his face could be identified. But his face still had been tortured. Knives poked out of his eyes, and his gaping mouth was overflowing with blood – his tongue must have been cut out. And the entire chunk of flesh from the man’s forehead and up was missing. There was a gaping hole in the man’s chest, and his legs had been amputated, and they laid several feet away. The man was almost floating in a pool of blood.

Skin had been glued or staple to the walls. Blood stained the room everywhere. It was the most horrific sight Jenny had ever seen in her entire life.

Jenny wondered how long they had tortured the man before they let him die. Surely it was not a quick death. Surely they did not take the time to inflict such torture when the man was dead. Jenny wondered what sick durgs they used to prolong his life or intensify the pain.

With a trembling hand, Jenny called and notified the police station in Saffron, requesting backup.

She then called the Medical and Crime Scene Investigator of Cerulean City. He told her he would be right down.

Jenny left the station and stood outside – waiting for the help and backup to come. Even Head Officer Jenny, who had been awarded “Most Fearless Officer” at the Kanto’s Police Annual Banquet three months ago, could not stay in that station by herself.

-----------------------------------------

Several hours later, completely unaware of the crime scene investigation that was going on a few blocks away, William stood in front of the Cerulean City Gym.

Percy was perched on his shoulder, studying his trainer instead of the gym. Percy was worried about his trainer – William had gone through a roller coaster ride of emotions the previous day. He was serious and somber right now, but Percy knew he was on edge and the smallest thing could set him off.

William turned to his yellow Pokemon and smiled. It was forced though, a show for Percy. The Pikachu could tell.

“Ready buddy?”

“Pika!” Percy said, enthusiastic. Percy knew it would be better if his trainer believed he had fooled his Pokemon – for his own self-esteem.

William then entered the gym, and he found himself momentarily stunned by how brightly lighted it was. Water shone fiercely down from the lights overhead, and was reflected back up from the pool the encompassed the entire front room of the gym.

The pool was in a rectangular shape. Small blue platforms floated in the water, but they did not look stable, and they were rocked by the waves. The water itself was dense, and William could not see many feet down into it. Two ledges went out into the rectangular shape pool, and William knew that was where trainers stood while battling. One for the challenger, another for the gym leader.

Suddenly, a girl came bursting forth out of the water. She wore a red bikini that went with her red hair. It was the same girl that had greeted William at the gym yesterday. She climbed out of the water, and shook her full head of hair around, spraying the ground with water.

William coughed loudly. She turned to look at him, and walked over to greet him, a concerned look on her face.

“William…right?” She said as she greeted him.

“Yes. I’m hear to battle Misty – if she’s not hiding in the back again.”

“Hey – be careful,” the girl said. “I wasn’t hiding yesterday – I came out to greet you.”

It took William a second to process the information.

“You’re Misty – the gym leader?”

She smiled, did a twirl, and then bowed.

“The one and only.”

William felt his jaw tighten, and he asked her bluntly.

“Why did you waste my time yesterday?” Misty raised her eyebrows and she ran her hands through her stringy wet hair.

“Based off of the conversation I had with Bill over the phone yesterday, it didn’t seem like a waste of time. It sounded like you learned something.”

“You made me doubt and question everything about my life. Why?”

“Because we needed that information,” Misty said. She didn’t deny what she had done, but her face held no guilt or remorse either. “I’m a part of the group investigating Jimmy Oak as well.”

“I had gathered that.” William said coolly. Misty sighed.

“William – did you hear what happened to my mother – Rain?”

“Yeah…” William said. “She vanished a few years ago.”

“Yes – that’s right. She was the leader in the private group of trainers investigating Jimmy Oak.” Misty paused, and then said bluntly. “I think Jimmy had something to do with her disappearance. I know my mother. She would not leave me.”

William’s face softened, and he said softly,

“I’m sorry Misty…I didn’t know.”

“Thank you William,” Misty said, though the condolences appeared not to affect her. She had become a stone to the subject – it was always on her mind. “And I’m sorry you had to find out about your family that way.”

“It’s just…” William closed his eyes. “I wasn’t exactly happy about…my father…before. But I was content. The…the pain wasn’t there. Now it is. I am left wondering with the possibility that my father might be some sort of cold-blooded killer. And Professor Oak – the man used to be my hero. But if he is my grandfather and didn’t tell me…and how could he let a son of his grow up to be like that?”

Misty shook her head sadly.

“I don’t have any answer for you William. I may never. I may die before I find out what happened to my mother. If Jimmy finds out I’m looking for him like my mother was, then he’ll kill me too. And William – I know your world has been turned upside down…but wouldn’t you rather know then not? Is ignorance truly bliss?”

William bit his lip.

“I don’t know…I just don’t know.” Misty nodded – she knew it was up to him to figure things out.

“Well William, we didn’t come here to chat about our parents. Let’s get started.” With that, Misty turned around and dove into the pool. She emerged several seconds later, on the other side. William was mystified at her speed. She dragged herself out of the water, and stood on the ledge over the water. She indicated for him to do the same.

“You may use up to six Pokemon,” Misty said, her voice vibrating throughout the room. “I will be restricted to two. You may switch out your Pokemon at any time. I may not. If I call back a Pokemon, then I will not be able to use it again in the battle, and the round will be considered yours. Do you understand?”

It was the exact same speech Brock had given.

“I do,” William said, his face and eyes serious.

“This is a gym battle. Your Pokemon could die if you are not smart enough. Do you understand the possible consequences of challenging me?”

When Brock asked that question, William said yes – but he truly didn’t. He did now.

“Yes.” William said simply. He did not believe Misty would purposely kill one of his Pokemon…but flukes happened.

“Very well then,” Misty said, unclipping a ball from a belt she wore around her bikini. “Let’s begin. Go – Staryu!

A gold star shaped Pokemon with a red gym in the middle of its body came spinning out of the Pokeball. It landed in the water with a splash, and floated there, waiting William’s move.

“Go – Brabantio!” William said, tossing one of his own Pokeballs into the air.

The Ivysaur landed on one of the floating platforms upon being released from his Pokeball.

“Alright Staryu – use tackle attack!” The Pokemon, rose out of the water, and spun towards Barbantio.

“Stop it with vine whip!” William ordered. Vines came out of the partly blooming bulb on Barbantio’s back, and they wrapped around the water-type Pokemon, stopping it and holding it in mid-air.

“Now – slam it against the platforms!” William cried out. Brabantio slammed the Staryu against the floating platforms, causing great damage while he did so.

“Staryu – you’ve got to break out!” Misty called out to her Pokemon. But as hard as the Pokemon struggled, Staryu could not break free of Brabantio’s grasp.

“One last slam Brabantio!” Brabantio slammed Staryu to the ground, and then released the Pokemon. It fell from the grip of the vine whip into the water, where Staryu floated on its back.

“Return!” Mist said, recalling her water-type Pokemon back.

William recalled his Ivysaur as well, knowing that Misty was now going to use her stronger, and better Pokemon.

Twirling her arm in the air, Misty sent out her last Pokemon – Starmie, the evolved form of Staryu. The purple Pokemon was also in a star shape, but it had more and sharper ridges. And, like it’s pre-evolved form, Starmie had a red gem in the middle of its body.

“You up for this Percy?” William asked his Pikachu. Percy didn’t reply, he jumped into the water, and dog-peddled to the platform, eager and excited to compete in his first gym battle.

“Starmie – bubblebeam attack!” Starmie shot out of the water, and it attacked. A quick-paced stream of bubbles were shot out of one of Starmie’s ridges. Percy rolled away, dodging the stream of bubbles.

“Now Percy – use thundershock!” The electrical attack blasted out of Percy and struck with Starmie, sending the Pokemon falling to the water below.

“Starmie, return the attack with another bubblebeam!”

Starmie rose out of the water once again, and shot the bubblebeam at Percy. Percy dodge the attak again, but this time the force of the bubblebeam caused the platform to tip over. Percy went submerged under water.

“Now it’s in your territory Starmie, go under it use tackle!” Misty yelled. William yelled for Percy to use a Quick Attack, but he had no way of knowing if his Pokemon heard him.

Starmie disappeared under the water.

And…

Both Pokemon were blasted out of the water a second later, Pikachu sending Starmie back against the wall of the gym with a Quick Attack. Percy landed on a platform, ready as ever to battle.

Starmie rose out of the wall, and Misty quickly ordered,

“Use Tackle attack!”

The Starmie spun towards Percy, but William and his Pikachu were ready.

“Use one last thundershock!” The electrical attack struck Starmie, and the Pokemon flopped down into the water, where it floated on its back. Defeated, Misty recalled back her Starmie.

Pikachu turned around, and jumped from platform to platform, until he reached his trainer. William caught Percy and swung the electrical mouse around in his arms, hugging his starter Pokemon close to his chest.

“Great job buddy!”

Misty, across the pool, snapped her fingers once, and a row of platforms rose up out of the water. They formed a walking path that she took to make it to the other side of the pool. William stood still, waiting for her. Upon reaching him, she kindly took his hand and shook it.

“Congratulations William – you’ve won the Cascade Badge.” Misty handed him a badge in the shape and color of a drop of water. William took it, and then gave it to Percy, who started throwing it up and down and playing with it.

“I still have a lot to learn as a Gym Leader,” Misty said, smiling. “You trumped me pretty good.”

“Well, thanks Misty,” William said, feeling awkward by the compliment. “But that was only because I had the type-advantage – twice”

“Yes – but I must learn ways to work around that.” Misty said, being self-critical of herself. She looked up at William and said in a kind voice,

“I wish you luck on your journey William, I hope you find both success and the truth about your life.”

“Thanks Misty…I hope you find your mom some day,” William replied, feeling guilty and bad for any malice he had felt towards her.

“I won’t William,” Misty said, her eyes distant. “The only thing I can do is revenge her.”

-------------------------------------------------

Officer Jenny was working from home. She refused to work in that station today…and perhaps tomorrow. She just couldn’t bare the feeling in the air.

She was sitting in her living room, and sitting in a chair across from her was the Medical and Crime Scene Investigator. He was reporting his findings of the station.

“An interesting side-note was the Rocket’s body,” he said, looking down at his chart.

“I didn’t find anything particularly interesting about that,” Jenny said, her voice cruel and rough.

“No, no, what I meant was…the body was missing two organs,” the investigator explained. “Everything else was still there, but two organs had been removed from the body. I can’t figure out what purpose for too.”

“Which ones?” Jenny asked, trying to satisfy her own curiosity.

“Why, the most important ones,” the examiner said. “His brain and his heart.”
[+] Team Status

Team
Pikachu (Percy) Level 21
Nidorino (Fleance) Level 20
Butterfree (Desdemona) Level 19
Ivysaur (Brabantio) Level 18
Charmander (Tybalt) Level 12
Zubat (Mercutio) Level 6 (guess whose going to be boxed soon? :coolface: )

Box
Rattata (Henry) Level 4
Pidgey (Romeo) Level 16

Deaths
Spearow (Juliet)
[+] A Few Thoughts on Part 3
Things started getting really hard in this part. Though I only showed it once, Percy almost died three times while I was playing the game during Part 3. I forgot how fragile Pikachus were. Desdemona came close another two times as well in Part 3.

Part 3 also become significantly darker. I think the plot will continue to proceed in this dark direction. Down the line, I have some sad things planned plot wise. All of this is having a very negative effect on William - more so than I thought. William is turning out to be much more human than I originally thought he would.

I'm about to start playing Part 4, and I'm looking forward to the challenge it will present. I don't think Surge will be hard...but Chris on S.S. Anne might be. We'll see...
And finally, the replies!
[+] replies
Verminator wrote: Intriiiiiiguing.

At first I was going to say that Bill was an asshole, but you've made it clear that what's going on is a big deal seeing as he's worried his life is on the line.

Keep it awesome.
Thank you, and I will! :) Preface to Part 4 will be up tomorrow morning :)
Epsilon wrote: right, all the foreshadowing becomes reality! But it looks like Bill didn't know much more than we did - way to keep the crowd hooked!
Thanks! :D
I figured most people had put the pieces together, but I wanted one chapter where the plot was essentially stated. That was what Bill did in this chapter - he put everything that has been hinted at and slid around in one big chapter.

And finally...
Velvet wrote: ...Well, now.
[+] Rambling reaction hidden behind here...
Wonder how long Bill practiced that speech. He certainly seemed to take quite a bit of pleasure in it -- of course, he was quite upset with Jade earlier, and had every reason to believe this would hurt her. ...Which doesn't speak well of his character, if he actually enjoyed the notion of hurting her by proxy like that, even with their last conversation still fresh in his memory. And regardless of what happened in the past, it's completely unfair to take out his frustration on Jimmy.

Of course Jimmy [you mean William?] would be one of the sons... but which one?

...Does it matter?

Regardless of the circumstances behind his parentage, William is his own person. He is not his father -- and trying to define him solely based on a parent who was never around for him is patently ridiculous.

If Bill was looking to recruit William, EPIC FAIL. In fact, I sincerely doubt he was honestly attempting to get him on his side. He can claim otherwise all he want, but even a severe lack of people skills doesn't justify his treatment of a young man who was completely unaware of all the DRAMA surrounding his family's past.

Bill wasn't trying to help. This was a calculated assault. He wanted to hurt Jade, he wanted to hurt Oak, and he knows he could never hurt Jimmy -- so he went after the first target that presented itself.

Killing the Mankey was an act of vengeance, yes -- but also an act of passion and grief, born out of losing a pokemon for the very first time to an utterly unrepentant trainer. Desdemona was fighting for her life. Did Bill take any of that into consideration? Or did he simply ignore everything that didn't support his hypothesis about William's possible parentage having an effect on him?

I can understand his being concerned for his safety, or for the woman he cares about, even if she doesn't return his feelings. On the other hand, he certainly saw nothing wrong with revealing Brock's involvement -- a potentially fatal mistake if William was somehow connected to Jimmy. What if William was the type to go around killing trainers out of some twisted need for revenge...?

William will likely be looking into this more on his own, but it certainly won't be because Bill did his side any favors.

In fact, on a meta-level, Bill may have just cut down his life expectancy considerably... He has dispensed plot-relevant information in a way that makes him extremely unsympathetic, and shown signs of an incredible lack of judgment. That sort of thing could get somebody killed, even without a psychotic murderer running around wanting to tie up loose ends... to say nothing of the fact that Bill knows where Jade is. Does Jimmy...?
Once again Velvet, you are right on spot, and your analysis is brilliant.
Bill is smart and a genius, but he acts selfish and often lacks common sense. His quest to find Jimmy is both to protect Misty and for personal glory - he wants his own name to become greater than the name of his past accomplishments, thus he is mixing himself in something that is beyond his ability to deal with. Bill lacks common sense, and endangers those who he is supposed to be helping. He essentially mentally tortures William, both alienating the trainer from him and gaining very little.
[+] And to answer your question...
Jimmy doesn't know where Jade is...
[+] Spoiler
Yet.
Expect the preface to Part 4 tomorrow morning! :)
And I hope this chapter was too...dark :ohdear:

Velvet

February 4th, 2011, 7:50 am #74

Ah, see, that's what happens when I don't triple-check before posting. How could I get those two mixed up? Bill certainly did, but he's sort of a creep. :sHAKHAKHAKehead:
[+] More reaction!
Somewhat off-topic: Bill in this brings back unpleasant memories of Persona 3's Yukari Takeba. It's very easy to see where both are coming from, and even feel sorry for them, but both manage to go about things in such a patently insulting, aggravating way that it's difficult to really connect with them emotionally beyond a cocktail of sympathetic frustration, pity and blinding RAGE. The validity of the points and problems they raise are mired down by the nasty, needlessly cruel and overly dramatic manner in which they go about it.

Barring some major revelation about his past, however, Bill has even less justification for lashing out. Misty falls a bit closer by comparison, actually, but doesn't quite give off the same vibe of "My tragic past entitles me to be all BLUH BLUH to everyone, and I simply MUST always get my way!" But that may be since she isn't also attempting to use aforementioned TRAGIC PAST to try and get into William's pants because 'OMG we're soooo alike and you should UNDERSTAND MEEEE...!' She shows empathy without making it all about HER and HER problems, acknowledging that this isn't easy for him to cope with, either.

But I digress.

Interestingly, the gym battle here felt almost like a breather. Type advantages for the win...? You could still feel that William was nervous, regardless, but compared to the surrounding events...

Also, HOLY CRAP Team Rocket does NOT mess around. More of Jimmy's influence...? With such a tragedy in the past, it seems Team Rocket feels they have to step up their game in order to inspire that sort of fear...

QKNC
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym

February 4th, 2011, 8:46 am #75

Oh, ewww, skin stapled onto the walls. Eeuuuugh. I think "thoroughly disgusting" is what you were going for, and you did that very well. The tone's definitely going from dark to darker. Shit's getting real.

About the gym battle, I coulda sworn that Misty's Starmie knew Psychic. I was worried when you sent out your Ivysaur for that fight, but I'm glad it got through it okay. Either my memory's flawed or the AI derped :U

TrainerBOB

February 4th, 2011, 4:07 pm #76

Part 4

Preface
[+] Preface
Preface

Jimmy walked all over Surge just like he did the previous two gym leaders. But Surge did not become afraid of Jimmy, not at first at least. After the battle, Surge worshipped the ground Jimmy walked on.

Surge had just returned from the war in Johto, so when Jimmy started talking of his ideals and philosophy, he was looking to make a difference in the world. He thought the world would be a better place if “they right people were put in charge.”

This was all Jimmy preached. Surge must have felt connected with Jimmy.

So, Surge became Jimmy’s first follower – for a while at least. Though he shared many of Jimmy’s viewpoints, Surge came to disagree with some of Jimmy’s methods. Particular ones that involved committing a crime – like murder. Surge, though an old Lieutenant, was a softy when it came to his Pokemon, whom he truly loved.

So, long before Jimmy even made it to his first Elite 4 challenge, Surge broke away from Jimmy. He was lucky to do so early, before Jimmy went truly murderous.

At a small gathering of the higher ups in Kanto a few months ago, I was talking with Surge. Bill, the Poke-Fanatic butted into the conversation, and steered it towards Jimmy, something that made everyone in the room feel incredibly awkward. Bill had already questioned me several times, but I of course had yielded no information to him. Bill was now questioning Surge, but he was being careful to not show he was investigating the whole issue privately. He didn’t know, and nor do I, if Surge had gotten back into league with Jimmy.

“So Surge,” Bill was saying, “I heard someone suggest the hypothesis that by some impossible way, Jimmy may have survived the Battle of Threes. Do you think he could still be alive?”

For the first time in my entire life, I saw Surge looked scared.

“Oh Arceus...” he said, looking away distantly. “I hope not.”

-From the diary of Professor Samuel Oak

[+] Replies!
Velvet wrote: Ah, see, that's what happens when I don't triple-check before posting. How could I get those two mixed up? Bill certainly did, but he's sort of a creep. :sHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKehead:
[+] More Reaction
Somewhat off-topic: Bill in this brings back unpleasant memories of Persona 3's Yukari Takeba. It's very easy to see where both are coming from, and even feel sorry for them, but both manage to go about things in such a patently insulting, aggravating way that it's difficult to really connect with them emotionally beyond a cocktail of sympathetic frustration, pity and blinding RAGE. The validity of the points and problems they raise are mired down by the nasty, needlessly cruel and overly dramatic manner in which they go about it.

Barring some major revelation about his past, however, Bill has even less justification for lashing out. Misty falls a bit closer by comparison, actually, but doesn't quite give off the same vibe of "My tragic past entitles me to be all BLUH BLUH to everyone, and I simply MUST always get my way!" But that may be since she isn't also attempting to use aforementioned TRAGIC PAST to try and get into William's pants because 'OMG we're soooo alike and you should UNDERSTAND MEEEE...!' She shows empathy without making it all about HER and HER problems, acknowledging that this isn't easy for him to cope with, either.

But I digress.

Interestingly, the gym battle here felt almost like a breather. Type advantages for the win...? You could still feel that William was nervous, regardless, but compared to the surrounding events...

Also, HOLY CRAP Team Rocket does NOT mess around. More of Jimmy's influence...? With such a tragedy in the past, it seems Team Rocket feels they have to step up their game in order to inspire that sort of fear...
Oh no - did I use the wrong name somewhere? Drats!

And I did like Misty much more than Bill - he was pretty much a jackass, while she was less self-centered. I thought from the phone conversation with Brock, her character might develop into the self-centerness. But she was actually a lot more cooler than I expected.

And the gym battle was sooo much easiness.
QKNC wrote: Oh, ewww, skin stapled onto the walls. Eeuuuugh. I think "thoroughly disgusting" is what you were going for, and you did that very well. The tone's definitely going from dark to darker. Shit's getting real.

About the gym battle, I coulda sworn that Misty's Starmie knew Psychic. I was worried when you sent out your Ivysaur for that fight, but I'm glad it got through it okay. Either my memory's flawed or the AI derped :U
Yes, that was what I was going for, and thank you :roll:

She actually doesn't know Psychic, which was a relief. But the AI is derped as well - she used an X. Defend when I was using Percy. Having two type-advantages really made the battle easy.

Kynim

February 4th, 2011, 5:33 pm #77

I just finished reading...and hnnng ;_;

The dark plot for this run is just awesome....

Diamond Run - FINISHED / White Run - FINISHED

I have sinned in these forums :( - 3/31/2015

Epsi

February 4th, 2011, 6:08 pm #78

Kynim wrote:I just finished reading...and hnnng ;_;

What she said.

This is almost turning into a CSI show.

Psyche

February 4th, 2011, 9:44 pm #79

Oh man that murder scene. I love this dark stuff :ohdear:
Why don't YOU have a furret yet?
Crystal story run!
(COMPLETE)Yellow cartridge run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

TrainerBOB

February 5th, 2011, 12:21 am #80

Chapter Twenty-Two
[+] Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two: Assignment

Lieutenant Surge was sitting at his desk in his office in the back of the Vermillion City Gym. His office room was neat and clean, Surge was in fact leaning back in his chair. It was a slow day at the gym.

Surge was 41 years old, but he had managed to obtain a look of youth. His spiky hair was still blonde, his biceps were still ripped, and his green sleeveless shirt still clung tightly to his chest.

His skin was a golden tan, and his entire body lacked wrinkles. His teeth were still perfectly aligned and Surge could flash a smile that would make the ladies sigh.

His inside qualities hadn’t changed much from when he was a young man. Surge had always had a brave soul. When he was a toddler he had wrestled with a Nidoran and won.

Surge’s phone started ringing. He leaned forward and answered the phone.

“Heellooo?” he said, flashing his smile as if he was talking to the person on the other line face to face.

“Surge!” A excited man said on the other line. “This is Brad Fields. I’m organizing the party on the S.S. Anne before the boat sets sail. I understand you are planning to attend this party?”

“Of course!” Surge said. “I wouldn’t miss a party like this one in a lifetime!”

“That’s great Surge, that’s really great! But…I wanted to offer a proposition for you.”

“Oh?” Surge inquired, curious.

“Would you like to perform the piano for an hour block at the party tomorrow night? I understand you used to play.”

Surge stoked his chin while he thought it over.

“Hm…I don’t know Brad…it’s been awhile since I’ve played the piano.”

“Oh, come on Surge, I’m sure you’ll do great! It will really be super great publicity to have the city’s gym leader performing on the piano! Plus – you’ll have a blast! People will be dancing to your music, there’ll be a spotlight on you, and you’ll be the center of attention!”

“Oh come on now Brad, we both know I’m going to be the center of attention no matter what!”

Brad laughed at the joke.

“That’s right Surge! That is right. But, seriously, what do you say?”

Surge turned his head side to side while he thought it over. Finally –

“Al right Brad – I’ll do it.”

“Great Surge! How does 10-11 sound for your performance?”

“Fine by me,” Surge responded.

“I can’t wait Lieutenant!”

The phone conversation ended, and Surge hanged the phone back up. He chuckled softly to himself. Surge enjoyed the life he lived now. It was peaceful and quiet, and he got to have many Pokemon battles with tough, challenging trainers. He attended events like the party on the S.S. Anne and he was the center of attention. His youth had extended far beyond his twenties.

Many people would have slight stage freight about going on to perform like Surge was planning to tomorrow night. But not Surge. He had, of course, been brave all his life. When he was ten, Surge had wrestled with a Nidorina and won.

Once again, the phone started ringing.

“This is Surge speaking, my good man or woman, how may I help you?” Surge said when he answered it.

“Hello Surge, this is Reporter Jeff Ties with the Vermillion Journal,” an eager young man said over the line. “I was just speaking with the S.S. Anne Party Coordinator Brad Fields, and he told me you were going to be performing tomorrow night at the party. My editor really thinks it is an interesting idea, and he wants me to do a feature on you and the event for tomorrow morning’s paper. What do you say?”

Surge chuckled. He knew the game that was being played, and he didn’t mind being used in it. As long as he got to have some fun.

“Is it going to be front page?” Surge asked.

“Well…I…I’m not sure,” the young man said, surprised by the question. “The editors normally pick the front page story based on quality and newsworthiness…”

“So it will depend what you write?” Surge said.

“Well, yeah.”

“I’ll tell you what then kid,” Surge said as he glanced to a clock on his desk. It was 9:23. “You come up here at 3:00 for an interview, and I’ll give you the kind of quotes you need for a front page story!”

“Wow! Thanks sir! I’ll be there sharp at 3:00!”

The phone conversation ended there as well, and Surge leaned back in his chair once again, smiling to himself. His life was indeed good.

Surge was not afraid of being interviewed – many people would be. But Surge, after all, had always been a brave man. When he was a late teenager, he had wrestled with a Nidoqueen. And, he had won.

The phone started ringing again.

“Hello, this is none other than Lieutenant Surge speaking, may I help you?”

Surge had almost always been brave. In the Johto Civil War, he had taken down 50 men by himself by dual welding a pair of machine guns. While in that same war, Surge was attacked by a fully matured Dragonite, and Surge had defeated it with his Raichu. Bravery came like breathing to Surge.

But, when Surge heard the voice on the other line, his natural brave instinct was gone, and his spine cracked like a twig.

“Hello Surge, it’s been a long time,” a cold, deep voice said.

Surge felt his heart ice over, and his hand trembled slightly.

“Jimmy…is that you?”

“So you remember me Surge?” Jimmy asked. “You seem to forget about me pretty quick after I vanished all those years ago…”

“I…I thought you were dead!” Surge exclaimed, his eyes wide. “E…everybody did!”

“Yes…but it seems the rumors of my death have been…greatly exaggerated.” Jimmy sounded like he was smiling. “I have a favor of you Surge...”

“I…I’ll do anything to please you sir…” Surge was several years older than Jimmy, yet he spoke like an inferior.

“No, you’ll do anything to save your life,” Jimmy said, chuckling. Surge felt the blood drain from his face at the implication. “There is a new, young trainer coming to your gym. His name is William, and he has a Pikachu.”

“O…okay…?”

“When he gets there, I want you to kill every last one of his Pokemon,” Jimmy’s voice had become harsh and angry. “And then I want you to take one of those Arceus damned machine guns that you’ve kept after the war and I want you to shoot as many bullets as possibly into his flesh. Do you understand me?”

Surge sat at his desk, his eyes wide and his face as pale as marble.

“But…but…I can only use one Pokemon in gym battles Jimmy…and…and…he’ll be able to use up to six…”

“Then you better used your best Arceus damned Pokemon.” Jimmy snapped.

“I haven’t used Raichu in a battle in years…” Surge said as his voice trailed off.

“I guess its times to change things around then – huh?”

Surge licked his dry lips, and then said as slowly as possible,

“Jimmy…you know I’ve always respected you-”

“Respected me? You used to worship me Surge. Now you grovel at my feet.”

“-all the same…I don’t know if I can kill a kid and all his Pokemon. It’s not in my nature.”

Jimmy was silent on the other line for several long, painful seconds. When he did speak, his voice was lower and quieter, but it carried all the more malice.

“If you don’t agree to this Surge, then I’ll have to come to Vermillion City to take care of this kid myself. And if I have to take care of him, then I’m going to take care of you as well.”

Surge’s hand tightened on the phone, and his eyes widened.

“V…very well Ji..i..mmy. I’ll do as you ask.”

“Excellent,” Jimmy’s voice had changed – it sounded like a business man closing a deal. “Good-bye Surge.”

“Wait Jimmy…” Surge said. “I…I could help you…wherever you are or whatever you’re trying to do. I know you’re going to try to take over again. If you need help…I…I…could help you.”

Jimmy laughed cruelly on the other line.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing Surge?”

And then he hung up.

Surge sat there, the phone still to his ear, stunned. His whole life had been turned upside down in a phone conversation that lasted only a few minutes.

Surge’s assistant knocked on the door to his office and then entered.

“You have a challenger Surge.”

Surge felt his heart sink even deeper in his chest.

“What is his name?”

“Chris.” And then the assistant left the room. Surge let out a deep, relieved sigh, got up, and walked out of his office.

As he left though, Surge couldn’t help but look at the black, rusted machine guns that were hanging on the wall.
[+] A few thoughts...

So...was anyone surprised? I bet a lot of you saw that coming...still, I hope I made a few jaws drop.
[+] Replies!
Kynim wrote: just finished reading...and hnnng ;_;
Thank you! I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far :roll:
Epsilon wrote:
Kynim wrote: I just finished reading...and hnnng ;_;

What she said.

This is almost turning into a CSI show.
Thanks Epsilon! :smile:
Psyche wrote: Oh man that murder scene. I love this dark stuff :ohdear:
Thank you Psyche - I'll keep things dark!
And lastly,
[+] A few thoughts on the dark plot as a whole
I've noticed a general trend in anything I write. As it develops, it gets darker and darker as I test new waters. I'm glad everyone is enjoying the bleak and dark plot - I'll be sure to keep it up. :coolshades:

With that being said, I have outlined Part 4. There are plenty of dark and drama filled moments in it. But, there are also a few pockets of humor. I don't want every chapter to be moody and depressing. The humor isn't anything extreme - I don't think anyone will laugh out loud at it. But it may get a few smiles - hopefully.