Forum rules
You can't post new threads here.
If you have a run that's finished, please post it in Written Story Runs first. Then PM a
, and they'll move the thread for you!

Feel free to post in the runs that are already here, though!
Faeiri
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym

July 17th, 2011, 8:24 pm #481

Oh my...interesting preface. I like that he didn't write much about it - it both leaves more mystery for the reader, and makes sense that he's kind of freaking out right now and wouldn't write it all down.

And on Chapter 76:

Beautiful, perfectly fitted silk blue silk clothes lined his body and over his shoulders was a heavy clock that was woven for one who flew on dragons.

Shouldn't that be cloak? This is kind of an amusing mental image. :P (I make this same typo all the time)

Retskcaj
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym

July 18th, 2011, 12:50 pm #482

Whew, been busy lately so it took me a bit to get caught up.
[+] My thoughts
I find myself inclined to agree with LordQ, the death of Janine and Lance's father just lacked impact for me. I know you pride yourself on the darkness in this run, but with so many people kicking the bucket the reader just eventually gets numb to it. I think the only real meaningful deaths you have left in this story would be William and any of his pokemon. Maybe Chris. Other than that, I just don't feel attached to anyone, and I think it's because I know that it's very likely that they'll die.

Ironically enough, it's like trying to get attached to a character in "Hamlet".

Still, it is still a fantastic read, typos and all, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this all wraps up. Keep up the good work and maybe go a little easy on the blood next time.

A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic. ~Joseph Stalin

TrainerBOB
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

July 19th, 2011, 7:50 pm #483

[+] Replies!
Shinymon wrote:Giovanni comes back from Silph Co. Incident.
You beat the e4, and then the champion (whoever he will be) who informs you jimmy is at Cerulean Cave.
You then beat jimmy, world is saved, ETC.
You will see what happens, though I will say Part 10 may end up being my favorite :wink:
Epsilon wrote: Thought this was Part Nine
[+] Spoiler
Ah, Oak may have interpreted the words on the wall as "Jimmy Wins", but he didn't include the words in his entry. So we the audience won't know for sure until the end.
Oops! Yeah, I realized that when you made your comment, thanks so much for pointing that out, I fixed it now :smile:
And, sadly, all of you won't find out the EXACT words to the Ancient Prophecy of Kanto for a long time.
Kyatenaru wrote:
[+] Spoiler
Or maybe he's still hallucinating things...I hope...
Interesting speculation, of course I can't exactly comment, though this chapter may answer the speculation...
Faeiri wrote:Oh my...interesting preface. I like that he didn't write much about it - it both leaves more mystery for the reader, and makes sense that he's kind of freaking out right now and wouldn't write it all down.

And on Chapter 76:

Beautiful, perfectly fitted silk blue silk clothes lined his body and over his shoulders was a heavy clock that was woven for one who flew on dragons.

Shouldn't that be cloak? This is kind of an amusing mental image. :P (I make this same typo all the time)
Thanks Faeiri! And thank you for pointing out that typo, I'll fix it right away :smile:
Retskcaj wrote:Whew, been busy lately so it took me a bit to get caught up.
[+] My Thoughts
I find myself inclined to agree with LordQ, the death of Janine and Lance's father just lacked impact for me. I know you pride yourself on the darkness in this run, but with so many people kicking the bucket the reader just eventually gets numb to it. I think the only real meaningful deaths you have left in this story would be William and any of his pokemon. Maybe Chris. Other than that, I just don't feel attached to anyone, and I think it's because I know that it's very likely that they'll die.

Ironically enough, it's like trying to get attached to a character in "Hamlet".

Still, it is still a fantastic read, typos and all, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this all wraps up. Keep up the good work and maybe go a little easy on the blood next time.

A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic. ~Joseph Stalin
I'll admit, I may have done overkill with the character genocide in this run. Like I've said before, I do think my next run is much better planned out. Of course, there will still be a lot of dying (though hopefully not as much), but I think the deaths will have more impact.

And thank you, it all wraps up soon, I'm eager to put this run behind me and start on my next! :smile:
Alright, new chapter time! This part will probably be...a total of four chapters long? Maybe five. Pretty short, I'll say that.

Chapter Seventy-Seven
[+] Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Seven: Professor Samuel Oak

“The weather patterns don’t lie,” Jimmy Oak said, speaking entirely to himself, as he bent over a map of the sea. He made a marking on the map with a feather dipped in blue ink. “I have found Articuno. That accounts for all three of them.”

The boat that Jimmy was aboard rolled naturally in the waves of the sea. It was neither a small nor big boat, but was of a size that a man of extraordinary intelligence could man it and large enough that few men would take on the task.

Jimmy Oak was one of those men.

The boat stretched out for fifteen yards, and had beautiful white sails. The paint was fresh, and the wheel was gold. It was not the boat that looked to belong to an evil mastermind. It looked as if it belonged to an experience sailor, who was out to enjoy the beautiful weather.

And the weather was beautiful. Jimmy was smiling devilishly at a few clouds that rested on the horizon, but beside that the sky was clear as blue.

“When I have done what no man has done before…all three of you will be mine.”

Jimmy walked slowly towards the bow of the boat and stood near the edge, resting his hands on the railing that separated him from the sea.

Jimmy closed his eyes and allowed himself the pleasure of letting the moment sink in. Just this morning he had killed Janine Oak – he had dealt a powerful blow against William. And now, here he stood, making his final plans. It was a beautiful moment. There was the sound of the waves crashing into the boat, there was the sound of the sea breeze whistling around him, and there was the sound of his heart beating in his chest. Jimmy wondered for a moment why he could hear that noise so specifically at that moment. Was it because he feared what was to come?

But then Jimmy heard something else - the beat of wings. Two powerful wings.

“Protect me!” he screamed as he ripped a Pokéball off his belt. There was a brilliant flash of white light, and a Nidoqueen stood in front of him.

A second later a Hyper Beam attack struck the Nidoqueen, and the Pokémon grunted as she slid back a few inches, scratching the floor she stood on.

A Dragonite landed on the boat, rocking it alarmingly for a few seconds. And then, its rider stepped off, jumping down from the mighty beast upon which he rode.

Professor Samuel Oak landed on the boat, his white lab coat flying in the wind. His eyes were enraged, and he stared down at his son.

“And when the very end has almost come,” Professor Oak said, “Only the father can stop his Eldest son.”

Jimmy smiled, but kept a careful eye on the Dragonite, and then quoted back to his father in a whisper:

“But if the father fails to slay, then all shall follow the Eldest’s way.”

“You knew it,” Professor Oak hissed at his son. “You knew the Ancient Prophecy of Kanto all this time! You knew I was the only one who could stop you!”

“Yes. I did. So what?”

“Why?” Professor Oak challenged. “Why didn’t you just kill me? Was I really that much fun to play with?”

“No, father. I just figured out what the words really meant.”

“Really meant? What in Arecus’s name are you talking about?”

“Well, there are two stanzas to the Ancient Prophecy of Kanto,” Jimmy said. “The first is almost as direct as can be that I will win the War of Kanto. It says that Kanto will be remade in my vision. But…the second stanza, it seems to contradict the first one, doesn’t it?”

Professor Oak watched his son carefully as Jimmy's smile spread into a large grin.

“What does it mean?” Oak asked.

“Don’t worry about it.”

“I am going to kill you, Jimmy!”

“No. You are going to die.”

“TAKE DOWN ATTACK, DRAGONITE!” Professor Oak ordered. His Dragonite took a leap off the ground, then, using his wings, blasted forward to the Nidoqueen.

“Horn Drill.”

The command was said in a cold voice.

The horn on top of the Nidoqueen’s head started to spin. Dragonite flew straight into the Nidoqueen, knocking her onto the floor of the boat, rocking the entire vessel.

But the Dragonite went down with the Nidoqueen. Her horn was stuck in his chest – right where the Dragonite’s heart was. Blood splattered out of the Dragonite in all directions like a fountain, and the Pokémon began to tremble as the vibrations from the horn traveled through his body.

“Throw it over.”

The Nidoqueen stood up, holding the Dragonite with two hands, her horn still digging through flesh. She tossed the dying Dragonite into the sea. He landed with a large splash, then vanished beneath the waves.

Professor Oak’s eyes were wide and terrified, his hand moved slowly to his belt where he grabbed another Pokéball.

“I’m…I’m not finished yet. I do have five more Pokémon!”

“Father. Stop,” Jimmy said, shaking his head.

“Why?”

“You don’t want to defeat me. You didn’t come here to stop me. You came here to die.”

“No, I came here to defeat you, just like the Ancient Prophecy said!”

“No, you came here to die. If you wanted to stop me you would have gotten help. You would have gotten your grandsons. You would have gone to the Elite 4. You would have gone to the police, the government, or anyone. Instead, you came straight here.”

Professor Oak started trembling. He tried to speak, and though his lips moved no sound came out.

“You came here, father, because you are too weak to kill yourself. You need someone to do it for you.”

Professor Oak did not move.

“Let me take away your pains for you.”

Professor Oak was silent for a long moment. He stared at his son, an odd look in his eyes.

“I remember when you were just a boy,” Professor Oak whispered. “And I just can’t connect you and that little boy.”

Professor Oak then threw the Pokéball he had in his hand. He threw it into the sea. One by one, he took the four remaining Pokémon resting on his belt and threw them overboard. Then, he looked back to his son. His expression was sad. Sad – it was truly the best word to describe it. He did not look miserable; he did not look like he was sitting in the ninth circle of hell. He just looked sad.

“Will you make it as quick and painless as possible?”

Jimmy smiled. He did not answer his father’s question. Instead, he issued an order to his Nidoqueen.

“Hyper Beam.”

And the yellow beam of power struck Professor Oak in the stomach, sending the old man flying backwards. He soared high up in the air before falling down into the sea.

“No father," Giovanni said, speaking to the air. "Your death will not be quick and painless.” The blow would not kill him right away. Instead, he would drown, to weak from the attack to swim. Giovanni recalled his Nidoqueen and grinned. "Now, I need to get back to my gym. I should be expecting William soon."
-edited by Kyatenaru
[+] Spoiler
I do hope the prophecy was a surprising twist. Of course, you don't know all of it, and won't, for a while yet.

Shinymon
Conqueror of the Rustboro Gym
Conqueror of the Rustboro Gym

July 19th, 2011, 7:56 pm #484

wait....
Does this mean that Giovanni was Jimmy all along? or was Giovanni one of the men in the boat? or something else?

Faeiri

July 19th, 2011, 9:28 pm #485

[+] Spoiler
Oh, Professor Oak. I was expecting him to die eventually, but... :shakehead:

Well, Jimmy was practically confirmed as Giovanni by this point, with the Mews and all, but I guess now it's finally out in the open.

I'm going to nitpick for a silly reason: That name change seemed really sudden. I think I would have kept calling him Jimmy, since that's his "real name", and let the comment about returning to his gym be the final confirmation.
Maybe that's just personal preference, though.

Retskcaj

July 20th, 2011, 1:01 am #486

Pretty well confirmed the suspicions of the mob, I'm surprised that a Hyper Beam wouldn't disintegrate him completely.

Always good to reveal more of what's going on, and I think we're all looking forward to the next gym battle and all the plot bombs sure to follow.

lisalo
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym

July 22nd, 2011, 10:58 pm #487

Okay, the question is: Will Jimmy identify himself or not?

Ryua
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym

August 4th, 2011, 12:22 am #488

I have now read from the very beginning up until 77. Wow. I have to admit I'm very impressed, and that I've been enjoying this run immensely. You've been doing a spectacular job of developing characters, and making the plot work so beautifully, and... and... I just don't even know. Following this, SO much.

I did see Sabrina's control coming, but I think that's because I've been gulping down great chunks of this story in one sitting, so it's easier to see the foreshadowing. Val, however, did take me by surprise, and I love what you've done with that character. Jimmy does seem incredibly over the top evil... but not unbelievably so. And someone that evil... does gain followers. They believe what he's doing is right. That they're justified in what they're doing, and he makes them feel good about themselves, too. After all, if your leader is THAT evil, than your own dark desires seem tame and acceptable in comparison. Not to mention you have no choice by this point. If you leave, either your boss will kill you, or society will. Your only choice is to ensure he wins, and that he's pleased with you.

Enigma Berry
Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym

August 10th, 2011, 4:59 pm #489

I've been reading this run since quite a while, so I'd like to say that I love it! I can't wait for the next update c:

Andaeus
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym

August 16th, 2011, 10:48 pm #490

This is probably the best story run I've read since I joined. Only Sanguine rivals it thus far. I really enjoy the plot you're weaving, and although I don't think I've been genuinely shocked thus far you've come pretty close a couple of times. That said, you really need to watch for typos a little better. You switch words sometimes. Still, love it overall.

LeafiaDream

August 27th, 2011, 1:44 am #491

Wow.
Okay, so I've been reading this over the past week or so, (sole reason I made this account, btw,) and I honestly don't know where to begin.
So I'll just start.
Details will be blurry.
[+] Spoiler
At first, I really despised William. I mean, the way he talked to people, his attitude, everything just really ticked me off, like he thought he was some sort of "god" above everyone else.
But once he got his personality all screwed up, (I can't remember exactly how it happened. The scyther battle, maybe?,) I started to think he was a decent person, and then slowly started to warm up to the naive little boy he is. Of course, the naivety isn't his fault - he did live without his father, and his mother did lie to him all his life - but I think that it's because he isn't entirely sure what he's doing around Val or other people that makes me like him.
I also love how honest he is, about the fossils and everything that happens with Team Rocket, etc. He could've just kept the fossil - he knew it had some sort of value - and probably would've fit better in his original character design, if the first part is any indication - but he instead gave it away to the boy's mother.
And, of course, earned a valuable teammate. A very classy way to gain a pokemon, not overdone and with your own flair, as far as the plot goes.

I had always harbored a secret hope that Chris would become a "good" person, and get along with William. Seeing as they're the only children in a small town and they continue to meet up with each other, (not to mention the conversations with Bill that reveal that they're related somehow,) I had hoped that they would get over their foolish rivalry and help each other. Also, I'm glad that it was Chris who made the first move, showing just how insecure he is, without having known either of his parents, I mean.
Seeing the two of them work together throughout the story after the incident in Erika's Gym/S.S. Anne fills me with a strange happiness. I'm glad that both characters have developed a lot over time.

Jade bothered me from the beginning. I'm glad she died. I'm also pretty satisfied with how she died. Jimmy coming in and strangling the one person he ever loved in a fit of rage. . .it was just so fitting.
I don't have much to comment about where Jade stands.

Jimmy.
I had missed the first Preface, so I was pretty confused when you started referencing him in your comments. Then, maybe around Part 3, I found it and read it.
Then everything started to fall into place.
I had always had the suspicion that he and Giovanni were related somehow. For a while, I was thinking that maybe one of his brothers (it became Charlie) was Giovanni, and even though he had stopped him at the Battle of Threes, he had starting working for Jimmy. But now I see that that's not the case.
[+] Spoiler
Jimmy seems to be the type of character that shows up in most dark and dramatic stories as the invincible villain. You have shown part of the prophecy that seems to assume that Jimmy will win the war overall. But really, how can he win? In most stories, the main character, the "hero", wins.
Unless you failed at the Nuzlocke, therefore making William lose, and everything falls into Jimmy's hands.
Which could be a pretty nice ending, if you did it right.
But it's hard to notice that type of thing when the writing is so good. There is so much detail, so many side plots, that I can get over the fact that it seems stereotypical and predictable at first glance.
Because it's far from that.
So my (highly rhetorical) question: Will Jimmy win, or lose?
And James.
Normally, I absolutely adore James.
But in this run. . .he was just. . .not the James I know and love.
In fact, I started to despise him, and I would tense up every time his name appeared in a chapter.
So, that said, when he died. . .
I laughed.
It was such a horrible way to die, but I couldn't help it.
The person who was pretending to be James had finally taken his fall.
(It took a lot of Pokemon episodes to get over this image.)

Moving on.
I feel as if there isn't enough about Agatha in the story, even though there is. There are just a lot of loopholes and unexplained happenings.
[+] Spoiler
I, for one, believe that Sabrina's Alakazam was responsible for her dream about Saffron. Because, if you think about it, it didn't all happen the way the dream showed her. He might have lured Agatha into a false happening, just to make her afraid. And, well, Team Rocket is disbanded. The destruction didn't happen until after the battle with Giovanni. (Of course, I could've just read all of this wrong. It's highly possible.)
Besides, William knows very little about her, and that could make her difficult for us to understand if we don't follow his line of thought. Main characters tend to know more about characters than the readers do.
The story is somewhat confusing, but I think that's the appeal. We all want to know what happens next.
And, speaking of what happens next.
Now that I've read through everything at my own pace, it's going to be hard to work with yours.
I'm going to have to be patient now, haha~ ^^'
[+] Spoiler
I am curious, though. Why did Professor Oak throw his pokemon into the sea instead of releasing them? It doesn't seem very much like him. (Of course, I could be thinking of the anime Oak, which would skew my vision, but still. . .) Also, those Pokemon are going to die! . . .Unless the PokeBalls preserve them and a scuba diver finds them decades later. Which would also be very interesting.
But yes, my question. Why didn't he release them?

Thank you for listening to my insane rambling, and thank you for writing such a wonderful story. :)
Sorry if I sound a bit rude. . .I tend to come off that way a lot. >.>" I just wanted to get through all of my thoughts as the story went by that I couldn't say as I was reading it. Or something.
So. . .yeah. :/

Best of luck with the next chapter! :D
Hello...pleased to make your acquaintance.

I can come off as rude, but I promise, I don't mean to be.

If I comment on what you say, it means you're worth commenting on, so please, don't be too offended!

TrainerBOB

September 7th, 2011, 4:05 am #492

[+] Many Long, Overdue Replies
Shinymon wrote:wait....
Does this mean that Giovanni was Jimmy all along? or was Giovanni one of the men in the boat? or something else?
There have been some who will tell you that Giovanni is Jimmy. That is something that I may have or may have not been forshadowing. You will find out soon enough.
Faeiri wrote:Oh, Professor Oak. I was expecting him to die eventually, but...

Well, Jimmy was practically confirmed as Giovanni by this point, with the Mews and all, but I guess now it's finally out in the open.

I'm going to nitpick for a silly reason: That name change seemed really sudden. I think I would have kept calling him Jimmy, since that's his "real name", and let the comment about returning to his gym be the final confirmation.
Maybe that's just personal preference, though.
Thanks for the comment; and the reason I am doing that is because technically I have not confirmed either way. You will find out soon enough though!
Retskcaj wrote:Pretty well confirmed the suspicions of the mob, I'm surprised that a Hyper Beam wouldn't disintegrate him completely.

Always good to reveal more of what's going on, and I think we're all looking forward to the next gym battle and all the plot bombs sure to follow.
Thanks Retskcaj!
lisalo wrote:Okay, the question is: Will Jimmy identify himself or not?
You'll find out soon![/quote]
Ryua wrote:I have now read from the very beginning up until 77. Wow. I have to admit I'm very impressed, and that I've been enjoying this run immensely. You've been doing a spectacular job of developing characters, and making the plot work so beautifully, and... and... I just don't even know. Following this, SO much.

I did see Sabrina's control coming, but I think that's because I've been gulping down great chunks of this story in one sitting, so it's easier to see the foreshadowing. Val, however, did take me by surprise, and I love what you've done with that character. Jimmy does seem incredibly over the top evil... but not unbelievably so. And someone that evil... does gain followers. They believe what he's doing is right. That they're justified in what they're doing, and he makes them feel good about themselves, too. After all, if your leader is THAT evil, than your own dark desires seem tame and acceptable in comparison. Not to mention you have no choice by this point. If you leave, either your boss will kill you, or society will. Your only choice is to ensure he wins, and that he's pleased with you.
Wow, thank you so much! I am so glad and heartwarmed that you took the time to read it.
And I am so glad Val surprised you; that is quite possibly one of my favorite plot twists this run.
catfish wrote:I've been reading this run since quite a while, so I'd like to say that I love it! I can't wait for the next update c:
Wow, thank you so much! Its finally here, haha.
Andaeus wrote:This is probably the best story run I've read since I joined. Only Sanguine rivals it thus far. I really enjoy the plot you're weaving, and although I don't think I've been genuinely shocked thus far you've come pretty close a couple of times. That said, you really need to watch for typos a little better. You switch words sometimes. Still, love it overall.
Oh, thank you! That is so nice of you to say <3
LeafiaDream wrote:Wow.
Okay, so I've been reading this over the past week or so, (sole reason I made this account, btw,) and I honestly don't know where to begin.
So I'll just start.
Details will be blurry.
[+] Spoiler
At first, I really despised William. I mean, the way he talked to people, his attitude, everything just really ticked me off, like he thought he was some sort of "god" above everyone else.
But once he got his personality all screwed up, (I can't remember exactly how it happened. The scyther battle, maybe?,) I started to think he was a decent person, and then slowly started to warm up to the naive little boy he is. Of course, the naivety isn't his fault - he did live without his father, and his mother did lie to him all his life - but I think that it's because he isn't entirely sure what he's doing around Val or other people that makes me like him.
I also love how honest he is, about the fossils and everything that happens with Team Rocket, etc. He could've just kept the fossil - he knew it had some sort of value - and probably would've fit better in his original character design, if the first part is any indication - but he instead gave it away to the boy's mother.
And, of course, earned a valuable teammate. A very classy way to gain a pokemon, not overdone and with your own flair, as far as the plot goes.

I had always harbored a secret hope that Chris would become a "good" person, and get along with William. Seeing as they're the only children in a small town and they continue to meet up with each other, (not to mention the conversations with Bill that reveal that they're related somehow,) I had hoped that they would get over their foolish rivalry and help each other. Also, I'm glad that it was Chris who made the first move, showing just how insecure he is, without having known either of his parents, I mean.
Seeing the two of them work together throughout the story after the incident in Erika's Gym/S.S. Anne fills me with a strange happiness. I'm glad that both characters have developed a lot over time.

Jade bothered me from the beginning. I'm glad she died. I'm also pretty satisfied with how she died. Jimmy coming in and strangling the one person he ever loved in a fit of rage. . .it was just so fitting.
I don't have much to comment about where Jade stands.

Jimmy.
I had missed the first Preface, so I was pretty confused when you started referencing him in your comments. Then, maybe around Part 3, I found it and read it.
Then everything started to fall into place.
I had always had the suspicion that he and Giovanni were related somehow. For a while, I was thinking that maybe one of his brothers (it became Charlie) was Giovanni, and even though he had stopped him at the Battle of Threes, he had starting working for Jimmy. But now I see that that's not the case.
[+] Spoiler
Jimmy seems to be the type of character that shows up in most dark and dramatic stories as the invincible villain. You have shown part of the prophecy that seems to assume that Jimmy will win the war overall. But really, how can he win? In most stories, the main character, the "hero", wins.
Unless you failed at the Nuzlocke, therefore making William lose, and everything falls into Jimmy's hands.
Which could be a pretty nice ending, if you did it right.
But it's hard to notice that type of thing when the writing is so good. There is so much detail, so many side plots, that I can get over the fact that it seems stereotypical and predictable at first glance.
Because it's far from that.
So my (highly rhetorical) question: Will Jimmy win, or lose?
And James.
Normally, I absolutely adore James.
But in this run. . .he was just. . .not the James I know and love.
In fact, I started to despise him, and I would tense up every time his name appeared in a chapter.
So, that said, when he died. . .
I laughed.
It was such a horrible way to die, but I couldn't help it.
The person who was pretending to be James had finally taken his fall.
(It took a lot of Pokemon episodes to get over this image.)

Moving on.
I feel as if there isn't enough about Agatha in the story, even though there is. There are just a lot of loopholes and unexplained happenings.
[+] Spoiler
I, for one, believe that Sabrina's Alakazam was responsible for her dream about Saffron. Because, if you think about it, it didn't all happen the way the dream showed her. He might have lured Agatha into a false happening, just to make her afraid. And, well, Team Rocket is disbanded. The destruction didn't happen until after the battle with Giovanni. (Of course, I could've just read all of this wrong. It's highly possible.)
Besides, William knows very little about her, and that could make her difficult for us to understand if we don't follow his line of thought. Main characters tend to know more about characters than the readers do.
The story is somewhat confusing, but I think that's the appeal. We all want to know what happens next.
And, speaking of what happens next.
Now that I've read through everything at my own pace, it's going to be hard to work with yours.
I'm going to have to be patient now, haha~ ^^'
[+] Spoiler
I am curious, though. Why did Professor Oak throw his pokemon into the sea instead of releasing them? It doesn't seem very much like him. (Of course, I could be thinking of the anime Oak, which would skew my vision, but still. . .) Also, those Pokemon are going to die! . . .Unless the PokeBalls preserve them and a scuba diver finds them decades later. Which would also be very interesting.
But yes, my question. Why didn't he release them?
Thank you for listening to my insane rambling, and thank you for writing such a wonderful story. :)
Sorry if I sound a bit rude. . .I tend to come off that way a lot. >.>" I just wanted to get through all of my thoughts as the story went by that I couldn't say as I was reading it. Or something.
So. . .yeah. :/

Best of luck with the next chapter! :D
Thank you so much for doing this - I truly love reading comments like this. Because you spent the time writing that, I am going to spend the time responding (or at least trying to) to respond to all your thoughts:
[+] Spoiler
@William: That is an interesting perspective that I haven't heard before, but I am still equally appreciative of it. I do see why you did not like William in the beginning, and perhaps you could say I subconsciously didn't like him either, thus the reason for his character changes. I like to think that William has continued to develop and change as the story has progressed, thank you for confirming that.

@Chris:
Chris's change was something I had not planned in Part 1 or Part 2, but by Part 3 I reached the decision that I wanted him to be more than an evil rival character. It was just one of those things that just happened; I'm glad you liked it, even though it wasn't planned!

@Jimmy: I love Jimmy as a villain. I like to think I crafted him carefully. While he is a sociopath, many of his actions are logical and make sense. I am being very careful in crafting future villains that they are not like Jimmy, I want him to stay original.

And you'll see what happens in the end. I will say that the words of an Ancient Prophecy ALWAYS come true in my runs :3

@James: I should warn you, I rarely let the characters from the games or anime influence the character development in my run(s). Look at Janine. She is very little like Ash's mother. Surge is little like Surge. Erika is hardly like Erika. And so on and so forth. James is truly a horrible person, you could argue he is a younger version of Jimmy in this run.

@Agatha: I really do wish I had more of Agatha. You will actually learn some more about her in the run that follows this one (if I ever get around to it).

@Professor Oak: Sorry, but you probably won't like my answer. It was a mont ago (at least?), and it was kind of a minor detail, so I don't remember the exact reasons why. It isn't important in the big scheme of things though; sorry!
Thank you again for that massive comments! Truly, it is stuff like that that keeps me going.
And now. This. This is hard for me to say. But here we go:
[+] A Short/Long Explanation About What to Expect:
Sorry.

I'm sorry this has taken so long to update, and it feels like it has died. I have started college, which is totally time consuming. I thought about leaving this run.

But I don't want to do that. I am very proud of the plot of this run, and this story. So, I am going to keep it going, with the goal in mind to update once every weekend. And, I want to complete the Sons of Three series as well (it is planned to be four runs long).

But, in order to do that, I have to adopt a new strategy.

I will no longer be asking to get this edited. I think you Kyra, for all your editing, but I really can't afford the time. I have time to write this, read over it once, and post it. That is about it. I am taking 15 hours this semester, 6 of those hours is French (which is totally kicking my butt), and I am a Staff Writer for my college's yearbook and I am trying out to be a page designer for the Newspaper. It is very time consuming.

I no longer have time to spend working and trying to make this great and beautiful writing. I never did in the first place, but I pretended and acted like I did.

So, I am saying this now: if you come here because you want to read a masterpiece beauty of writing that is grammar and spelling free, you are about to be disappointed. I don't have time to produce that on a regular basis. Sorry. I hope this isn't coming across as rude; I have truly appreciated all the critique posts on the writing and grammar and spelling in past updates. But, due to time constraints, I am not longer writing to appease that train of thought.

The plot in this run is awesome. I am not humble in this regard; I am very proud of the Sons of Three Plot.

But the plot in the runs that will follow are even better. That stuff people say about sequels being worst? That won't apply here, I know. The plot gets more twisted and more shocking. The sequel to this run is heavily planned out already, and I think I will shock you on numerous occasions.

So, if you are here because you enjoy the plot, then do not fear. The complicated plot is not about to weaken. It is about to get better (I think). I love the plot I have thought of for this run, and all following runs. That is why that as long as this has a following, I will continue to update and continue the Sons of Three Plot line.
And now, where we left off last time:
[+] What has been happening
William came home to find her mother murdered by Jimmy.
Professor Oak finds the Ancient Prophecy of Kanto, and says in his journal that Jimmy is going to win the 'war of Kanto.'
Professor Oak confronts his son, Jimmy, and is killed in a short battle.
Refer to previous chapters if you are confused (or just ask questions).
Chapter Seventy-Eight
[+] Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Eight: Funeral

The funeral had been simple. Janine Oak was laid in the coffin, elevated off the ground with a small stand. She was dressed in her finest blue dress. She held a bouquet of white roses over her chest. Her hair was combed back, with the exception of a few strands that strayed over her forehead. The cast had been open, so people were able to walk by and get one last look at the woman many of them had meant, but none had known.

The workers at the graveyard laid out thirty foldable chairs across the green grass of the graveyard for the ceremony. Twenty people came. William was one of them. Professor Oak was not. He had disappeared.

All the other attendees, besides William, had been adults. Many of them were old, past fifty, and had only known Janine from passing her as she worked outside on her garden. They remembered her because she had smiled at them; they remembered her because she had seemed different. She had seemed strong.

There was a priest who read a passage from the Holy Book. He referred to the dead woman in the coffin as Jade Shake. People clapped when he finished his last line, and then they all stood up awkwardly and made their way to the coffin, to observe Janine Oak. William stayed seated as the crowd made observed his mother’s dead body.

“She is still so pretty,” an elder woman said at one point. The rest stayed silent in the presence of the dead body.

The crowd then gathered around William Oak. He was the mourning son. He was the star of Kanto. He was a legend. Yet they showed him little respect – instead the strangers asked him questions that were far too personal for his liking.

“Do they know who did it yet?”

“Why was she killed?”

“Are you going to challenge Viridian’s Gym now?”

“How are you paying for the funeral?”

“What are you going to do with the house?”

“Did you hire any caters to serve food here?”

William answered the questions with as few words as possible. And when it became evident that the ceremony was over – when it became evident that there would be no food or drinks served – the crowd dispersed, and William was left alone with a coffin that had yet to be buried.

The trainer stayed in his seat for a long time. He was wearing the suit his mother had made him get prior to attending the S.S. Anne. It was the same suit Val had made. It was still missing a few buttons from the top. William’s face was void of emotion – it was still in shock. It had been several days since he had first come upon his home, filled with police officers and the dead body of his mother. He now had three days. Three days before Sabrina was executed. Time was running out.

But William felt like he had already ran out of time. William Oak felt like he had already lost.

After staying seated for what seemed like forever, William finally stood up. He stared at the coffin, where his mother laid. He had not approached it yet. He had not given his final goodbye.

And that’s when William heard something behind him.

He turned his head around, expecting to find a graveyard digger, asking him if he was done.

Instead, William’s eyes meant the eyes of Koga, the gym leader of Fuchsia City. He stood not but ten yards back, dressed in his black Ninja uniform, with his arms crossed over his chest.

There was a split second of silence.

And then William ripped a Pokeball from his belt and pointed it to Koga, his fingers flexed and tightly wrapped around the ball.

“Make any move and I’ll have Tybalt rip you to pieces,” William said, his voice dangerously calm.

Koga did not even blink, but he did speak softly.

“William, if I had come here to kill you, I would have slid a knife in the back of your skull when I arrived ten minutes ago.”

William did not move, he kept the Pokeball up, pointing at Koga. His face was calm, but his eyes were angry.

“May I?” Koga asked, indicating his arm towards the coffin. William didn’t respond, but after several painful seconds, her jerked his head in affirmation and he slowly lowered his arm down to his side.

Koga smiled appreciatively, and then walked at a relaxed pace up to the raised coffin. When he passed William, his eyes did not flicker over to his grandson – instead they stayed focused on the coffin ahead.

When Koga reached the coffin, he looked into it for several minutes. William couldn’t hear him talking; but it seemed as if he was moving his lips, speaking silent words, either to Arceus of his dead daughter. Then, he bent his head down, and kissed Janine softly on his forehead. Finally, he turned around, and faced William.

“I have now lost all three of my daughters to Jimmy Oak, and I fear I am to lose my son as well,” Koga said. “Jimmy’s war against the world is something I think I have grown tired of.”

“I am not interested in having you as an ally right now,” William said.

“And I am not offering my allegiances,” Koga said, shaking his head as he closed his eyes. “This is the last you will see of me. I am going to hide somewhere, away from everyone else. Away from society. Away from the world. I just came to tell my daughter good bye.”

William’s face remained of stone as Koga walked past him. But Koga wasn’t gone – not yet.

“You know, I expected you to be like Richard.”

William turned around to face Koga. The ex-gym leader had stopped in his departure, and was looking at William with a strange look in his eyes.

“My mother told me I was like him.”

“Perhaps in looks,” Koga mused. “But you seem to have very little of your father in you. You have much more of your mother.”

William didn’t say anything, and Koga elaborated.

“Richard was always a little emotional unstable. He wasn’t as calm as your mother. Don’t mistake me…your father was a noble man…if a bit foolish in his ideals and beliefs. He grew weary of Pokémon fighting and training because he did not like sending his Pokémon into battle. You might be surprised to know that of the two, your mother was the stronger trainer. The only reason Richard stopped Jimmy was because he had Charlie’s help. Charlie was almost as strong as your mother.”

“Why are you telling me this?” William asked. He was weary of Koga’s presence, and he wanted the old man gone.

“I’m not entirely sure.”

Koga stood there; he seemed to be debating about something. Finally, he picked up a book out of his clothes, and he tossed it to William. It landed on the grass in front of William, who eyed it suspiciously.

“That is Oak’s diary. Jimmy sent me to follow him, and he left it in the Cerulean Cave.”

William picked up the book, and he flipped through the pages. The wind blew to the last page with writing on it. The entry was short, and William read it quickly.

“Was there anything written on the wall in front of where he left this?” William asked Koga, a note of urgency in his voice. His grandfather frowned.

“No,” Koga said, frowning. “The wall was empty; it was just stones.”

Koga turned to leave, but William called to him:

“Wait!”

Koga turned around to William and raised a bushy eyebrow.

“Yes?”

“Where is Jimmy? Right now?”

A moment of silence. Then:

“Jimmy is the gym leader of Viridian. If I am not mistaken, he is there now. Waiting for you.”

----------------

Val walked through the airport, dragging a single suitcase along with her on wheels. She did more than just walk however, her legs moved at a quick, short-tempered pace. Her eyes were determined, staring straight ahead. If anyone had paid much attention to her; they would have said she had a clear, empty mind.

But her mind wasn’t blank. It was a madhouse of emotions and thoughts. Images of murder and crimes raced through her mind. She remembered the look on her father’s face when he realized it was her own daughter killing him. She remembers how effortless it was to press that button, and condemn and entire fleet of Rocket Helicopters to death. She could remember all those things. And also, memories of blood and death replayed over and over again. She remembered watching her brother be torn apart by an explosion. She remembered watching Erika be hung to death by her neck. She could remember all those things.

Val moved through security at the airport effortlessly. They checked her bag. It held nothing but a few sets of clothes. She had so few values in the world. But it was enough to move away, to escape to Unnova – the most far away place.

As Val went through security; as they shuffled through her bag, as she walked through the metal detector, and as they patted her down, her face was emotionless. Her eyes focused straight ahead. She did nothing but nod. She did not speak. The workers thought little of her, and figured her to be simple minded.

Yet her mind was overfilling to the brim. Death, blood, destruction, chaos, and depression dominated the boundaries of her head. There was hardly any memories left of her childhood, and they were too painful.

She remembered sitting in a big house. She remembered being alone. She remembered having to care for her younger brother; she did not trust the nurses and maids her father hired to care for her brother. She remembered the awkward family dinners, where no one was confident to discuss the being that was missing – their mother. She remembered that part of her hated her brother. She remembered that she had blamed him for her mother’s death.

Val remembered not having any friends. She was home-schooled. She would play indoors. She would watch over her brother. She hated the name Valeria. She always told herself that if she had any friends, she would insist they call her Val. Only her brother would call her that though. The servants and nurses of the home referred to her as Ms. Silph. And her father insisted on caller her by her full, true name. It was the name of her mother, after all.

And so, Val came to consider her father not her friend. And when she slowly began to slip into depression, she began to consider her father her enemy.

At the Viridian Airport, Val passes the luggage check without checking any luggage. She only had one bag – she would carry it on. The people who watched her pass by held no memory of her the second they left their vision. They knew nothing of what went through her mind. They did not remember her.

But as Val walked, she still remembered the painful past. Val remembers the emotions the day she went to drown herself. She felt a special connection to a character from a play she had read as she stood, posed over the river. That character had lost her father, but to murder. She had lost her father to her mother’s death and his business.

As Val stood, posed over a small river on the outskirts of Saffron City, she remembered smiling. A tiny voice wondered what her death would do to Jamie, but she told the voice to be silent.

And then she allowed her weight to tip forward, and she fell into the small river.

But her plan was cut short. She was saved.

Val remembers her savior.

He was just a boy. Possibly her age; possibly a year or so younger. Or maybe he was a year or so older. She could not tell. He dragged her out of the water, and he told her she was special. He told her she was important. He told her she should never try to kill herself again. And while he was just a boy, he spoke as if he knew things. More things than men multiple times his age knew. There was a wisdom in his eyes, a wisdom that was powerful.

And then he left her.

Val remembers sitting on the side of the river, crying for hours after he had left her. She remembers sobbing and sobbing and sobbing. Until, that is, he stumbled across her.

He called himself Jimmy Oak. He asked her for her name. She told him it. And he smiled. And then he told her things. And she listened.

And her depression faded away. He had saved her.

And then she joined him.

Val’s mind was snapped back into the future when she suddenly found herself lost in the airport. She blinked, as if she was surprised at her surroundings, and then she looked around, her eyes hunting for a sign that would lead her to her gate.

She quickly found it, and she marched forward, determined to be early. She tried to keep her dark mind silent as she walked. And she succeeded; the screaming pains of her mind quieted down. But her heart was as loud as ever.

Perhaps, her heart was louder because unlike her mind, it possessed only one sole entity. Her mind screamed of thousands of memories, but her heart had a singular presence. William. William Oak. She could feel him in her heart. It was like there was a string in her heart; a string that was tugging her away in the opposite direction she was walking. And she knew that string would lead her to William.

Val reached her gate. She walked to the reception check in, and approached the woman who was dressed in uniform who was working there.

“Welcome to Viridian Airlines, how may I help you today?” The woman asked her.

“I’m here to board the plane,” Val said, in a quiet voice. It was the first thing she said for what seemed like forever. Val passed the ticket over to the woman, and immediately started punching keys in the computer.

And that was when Val’s cell phone started ringing.

Val jumped – surprised. She knew she had placed her phone on silent. Yet it was ringing now – how could that be? Her phone would only ring for one number…

Val quickly pulled the phone out of her pocket, and she checked the caller ID. She felt her heart sink in her chest when she saw the number, and as much as she felt urged not to, she answered the phone.

“Hello?” She said, in a timid, weak voice.

“Hello Valarie.” It was him.

“What is it?” She asked him. “I’m leaving now.”

And then she heard a painful scream in the background.

“What was that?” She demanded, her voice gaining an edge.

“Oh, that?” he asked her, sounding amused. “That’d be William. After killing every single one of his Pokémon in our gym battle, I have decided it would be best to torture him slowly to death.”

Val was silent; stunned by the words she had heard.

“…No,” she whispered. And then there was another scream.

“My, my my,” he said, “look at all this blood. Now William only has seven fingers left, thanks to the two of us Valarie. I’ve taken two, and you’ve taken one.”

“Stop it!” she hissed, keeping her voice at a whisper.

“I really must be going Valarie. Thank you for all your help though, and enjoy your trip to Unnova.”

And then the call ended.

Val stood, paused, shocked and breathless.

“Ma’am?” The flight receptionist asked. “Is everything alright?” Val did not answer her. She could not speak. “Here is your ticket ma’am. You are all ready to go.”

Val slowly raised her eyes to look at the woman. She was smiling cautiously at Val, yet there were traces of concern in her eyes.

“Take my spot on the plane, and leave this region,” Val said to the woman. “Run for your life.”

And then Val dropped her suitcase that contained all of her possessions. And she turned around, and she ran, leaving the bemused woman. Val ran through the airport, causing heads to turn and eyebrows to rise.

All those who saw Val on that day though, very quickly forgot about her.

But that was okay, because Val had forgotten to. Her mind was truly blank and empty all of the horrible memories.

Her heart had not changed though. Her mind had changed, and had connected with her heart. They were being run by the same thing now.

William Oak.
Okay! Please leave a comment or a thought or a prediction! Reading them really does help. If it wasn't for all those nice comments up there, there is a good chance I would have abandoned this run.

Thank you all! <3
,TrainerBOB.

EDIT: Also, I hope everyone got the Shakespeare reference in this latest chapter.

LordQ
Hoenn League Champion
Hoenn League Champion

September 7th, 2011, 4:26 am #493

It is good to see you found the time to write. I know exactly of what you speak, sure I can somehow squeeze in the time for some Nuzlocke or maybe some minecraft or something, but squeezing in time for writing is difficult.

Anywho, nothing too major happened in that chapter I guess. Though...
[+] Spoiler
Is Giojimmy bringing Val back for some sort of insurance against William? Hell, is Giojimmy even at Viridian? What role will the E4 and Champion play in all this?
>> Check out my "new" run, The Ruler! <<

Banner coming soon!
[+] Spoiler
My random writings | Technologist (wt)

Psyche
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym

September 7th, 2011, 4:50 am #494

I was quite delighted to see this on the front page again with an update :D

Glad to know you're not gone forever, even if you're very busy, and that you'll continue writing this!
Why don't YOU have a furret yet?
Crystal story run!
(COMPLETE)Yellow cartridge run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

Kyatenaru
Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym

September 7th, 2011, 1:26 pm #495

Yay! :) I've heard college is very time-consuming, but I can be patient for an awesome story like this one!

Love the update. :)
[+] Spoiler
I can't wait to see the Jimmy-William showdown, and how William reacts to seeing Val('s dead body?)

Faeiri

September 8th, 2011, 12:19 am #496

It's good to see this run again!
[+] Spoiler
The question is, who's really screaming in the background? It's probably still someone important. Jimmy might as well kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Kyatenaru

September 8th, 2011, 12:31 am #497

Faeiri wrote:It's good to see this run again!
[+] Spoiler
The question is, who's really screaming in the background? It's probably still someone important. Jimmy might as well kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.
[+] Re:spoiler
ohgod Chris. Or maybe not. Or maybe. :( I hope not.

Comatose

September 8th, 2011, 4:29 am #498

Really glad to see this run back. This is one of the few story runs I'll actually read, because it's just so damn awesome. I'd speculate, but I honestly have no idea what to expect, and that's what i love. Keep up the great work, bro.
A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. Then you can focus on it and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient and you hold still, well maybe, just maybe, it'll come to you. And I mean hell...if you have to live the rest of your life in a memory...you might as well make it a good one.- Leonard Church, Red Vs Blue

Retskcaj

September 8th, 2011, 1:17 pm #499

Aw, Val wanted to be Ophelia.

And I really wouldn't beat yourself up so much over this run's quality. Even without an editor, all I noticed were a few typos, nothing game-breaking. Besides, college is a lot of work, especially foreign language classes. Don't stress yourself out so much over what is, when it all comes down to it, a hobby. Real life takes priority over Nuzlocke.

Long story short, cheer up emo-kid. :D

TrainerBOB

September 9th, 2011, 2:35 pm #500

[+] Replies
Retskcaj wrote:Aw, Val wanted to be Ophelia.

And I really wouldn't beat yourself up so much over this run's quality. Even without an editor, all I noticed were a few typos, nothing game-breaking. Besides, college is a lot of work, especially foreign language classes. Don't stress yourself out so much over what is, when it all comes down to it, a hobby. Real life takes priority over Nuzlocke.

Long story short, cheer up emo-kid. :D
I'm glad you got the Shakespeare reference Retskcaj! And thank you for the encouraging words! :)
Comatose wrote:Really glad to see this run back. This is one of the few story runs I'll actually read, because it's just so damn awesome. I'd speculate, but I honestly have no idea what to expect, and that's what i love. Keep up the great work, bro.
Thank you so much Comatose! I'm glad yo enjoy it (and I'm equally sadistically glad you don't know what's going to happen next)
[+] OOC
DUDE. SEASON 9 IS THE BEST THING EVEEEEER.
Kyatenaru wrote:Yay! :) I've heard college is very time-consuming, but I can be patient for an awesome story like this one!

Love the update. :)
[+] Spoiler
I can't wait to see the Jimmy-William showdown, and how William reacts to seeing Val('s dead body?)
and
Kyatenaru wrote:
[+] Spoiler
[+] Re:spoiler
ohgod Chris. Or maybe not. Or maybe. :( I hope not.
Thanks Kya! And you'll see :3 Battle for the eight badge is next chapter.
[+] Spoiler
Thank you, it's good to be back! And you'll see :3
Psyche wrote:I was quite delighted to see this on the front page again with an update :D

Glad to know you're not gone forever, even if you're very busy, and that you'll continue writing this!
Thank you Psyche! I'm glad you've been following me all this time!
LordQ wrote:It is good to see you found the time to write. I know exactly of what you speak, sure I can somehow squeeze in the time for some Nuzlocke or maybe some minecraft or something, but squeezing in time for writing is difficult.

Anywho, nothing too major happened in that chapter I guess. Though...
[+] Spoiler
Is Giojimmy bringing Val back for some sort of insurance against William? Hell, is Giojimmy even at Viridian? What role will the E4 and Champion play in all this?
Thanks LordQ. As for the E4/Champion, you may or may not be surprised. Hopefully you will be.
Also:
[+] MFW I slide several major clues past everyone

In all seriousness though, please take special note of the fact that Koga could not see the Ancient Prophecy written on the wall.
Update tomorrow (tonight, sunday?). Uh...well, update this weekend! (I hope.)