Forum rules
You can't post new threads here.
If you have a run that's finished, please post it in Written Story Runs first. Then PM a
, and they'll move the thread for you!

Feel free to post in the runs that are already here, though!
LordQ
Hoenn League Champion
Hoenn League Champion

June 22nd, 2011, 3:15 am #441

A fitting beginning, I gotta say. But the final line felt lacking in strength somehow... You seem to have used a few too many words methinks.
>> Check out my "new" run, The Ruler! <<

Banner coming soon!
[+] Spoiler
My random writings | Technologist (wt)

lisalo
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym

June 22nd, 2011, 9:30 am #442

Place speculations: Sevii islands (get himself a Moltres) or the abandoned mansion (further confirming the Jimmy/Giovanni hypothesis as Mew experiments were done there). Would make sense he needed the lab in both cases.

The Frog

June 22nd, 2011, 11:29 am #443

This is Yellow, so the Sevii Islands probably won't show up. Methinks it was the Cerulean Cave.

Current Run:
Yellow
(Chapter Thirteen, put up Mar 17 2011)(Yes, it hasn't been updated in over a year. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.)
[+] Spoiler
Failed Run:
Blind White: The Abridged Series (Reached Episode 8)

Epsi
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym

June 22nd, 2011, 4:55 pm #444

The Frog wrote:This is Yellow, so the Sevii Islands probably won't show up. Methinks it was the Cerulean Cave.
Well, Johto and Hoenn don't exist before yellow, either, and yet are included in the plot. The Sevii islands could easily included for plot.
But I agree with you on the Cerulean Cave - If Prof. Oak goes there, he has a higher risk of plot interaction/capture/death, vs. a cute retelling in his diary of what he found on the Sevii Islands. If we're talking Moltres, then it's Victory Road you want, though it's really a stupid place for moltres in my opinion - he's less than 20 steps away from a cooltrainer in game :P.

and sorry I haven't commented in a while.
Hello. Let's play some music.

TrainerBOB
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

June 23rd, 2011, 1:08 am #445

[+] Replies
This quotes are all out of order, and usually I freak out and fix that. But today I'm tried, sorry. :v:

Epsilon wrote:
The Frog wrote:This is Yellow, so the Sevii Islands probably won't show up. Methinks it was the Cerulean Cave.
Well, Johto and Hoenn don't exist before yellow, either, and yet are included in the plot. The Sevii islands could easily included for plot.
But I agree with you on the Cerulean Cave - If Prof. Oak goes there, he has a higher risk of plot interaction/capture/death, vs. a cute retelling in his diary of what he found on the Sevii Islands. If we're talking Moltres, then it's Victory Road you want, though it's really a stupid place for moltres in my opinion - he's less than 20 steps away from a cooltrainer in game :P.

and sorry I haven't commented in a while.
Lol, no comment on plot speculations, but I will say if I include Moltres it won't be the way the game does it. :xd:
And don't apologize for that, it's not worries! :keke:
Interesting speculation, but no comment beyond that! You'll find out soon next preface.
lisalo wrote:Place speculations: Sevii islands (get himself a Moltres) or the abandoned mansion (further confirming the Jimmy/Giovanni hypothesis as Mew experiments were done there). Would make sense he needed the lab in both cases.
Let me say this about the mansion...
[+] Spoiler
It will be mentioned, but not really visited. it does have plot relevance, but William isn't going to spend anytime there. Things start to move quickly in this chapter - and you'll find out why.
LordQ wrote:A fitting beginning, I gotta say. But the final line felt lacking in strength somehow... You seem to have used a few too many words methinks.
Thanks Q! But I agree, the ending didn't have the punch I was going for.
And now update!
Times to make things a little harder for William Oak...
Chapter Seventy-Three
[+] Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Three: Countdown

“The jury has determined that Gym Leader Sabrina is guilty for the murders of 127 trainers and for spreading malicious and false rumors about the government,” the judge said, as he slammed his gavel down. “For her crimes the maximum punishment is assigned. Her execution will be held in ten days.” The judge slammed his hammer down once more. The people of the court room clapped, and began to file out.

Sabrina was not surprised at the verdict. She remained completely still in her chair, her eyes closed. She had looked into the future this morning, and had seen what would be. But now, now that the verdict had been delivered after being in court for only three days, four days after being arrested, she felt sad that she could not prove her innocence. She should have seen this, she knew that. She didn’t even need psychic powers to know they would arrest her for holding the press conference.

She had defended herself. No lawyer in the world agreed to represent her. She had put up scientific evidence. William had defended her on the stand, as had Chris, though there was little he was able to add. Sabrina had placed herself on the stand.

But the District Attorney of Saffron City was brutal.

He made her recount and tell the tale of every trainer Alakazam had made her murder. He had made her say the name of every single trainer. He had made her tell the court room exactly how she had killed each and every trainer.

“And whose Psychic Power was it that killed Henry Fosterson, Sabrina?” The DA had asked.

“It was mine – but I was under the control-”

“Why don’t you tell us about the next trainer you killed in cold blood?” The DA had interrupted her. The questions had continued in this fashion.

Sabrina had shown the brain as an exhibit. She had showed diagrams, pointing to specific parts of the brain that was abnormal for a Pokémon brain. It hadn't worked. The jury had declared her guilty.

Sabrina moved her hand slowly to her forehead, where the cold, steel metal brace was latched. Its purpose was to prevent her from using her psychic powers, but it was constructed for the use on Pokémon. No one was sure if the brace was working – except for Sabrina, and William and Chris, whom she had told.

The brace made her powers weaken, it dulled them. It rarely made her completely inept, but there were times when she was nothing but a normal human being.

But, even in her strongest moment with the brace on, she would not be able to fight. She would not be able to break away. She would not be able to teleport. She was trapped.

Sabrina flashed her eyes to William, who was starring at her with horror now that he knew her fate. She had not told him about her vision. She couldn’t bring herself to say the words. Chris had left the previous night. He had felt uneasy in the city ever since he had admitted that Jimmy Oak was his father on stand.

Officer Jenny approached Sabrina awkwardly, with cuffs in her hand. Sabrina looked to the police officer, and asked quietly:

“May I have a moment with William?”

The court room was now empty. The officer nodded sadly, and walked a few feet away, giving them some privacy.

Sabrina turned her head back to William, who was already whispering rapidly.

“You have to escape, you can’t let them kill you-”

“No,” Sabrina said, bitterly. “I agreed to submit to the will of the people. If this be their will, then so be it. It is the greatest mistake the world has ever made.”

“Sabrina!” William exclaimed. “They’re going to...kill you.”

“I know,” Sabrina said. “The only way I can escape is if Jimmy Oak is revealed and stopped.” She turned her head to William. “Not to make your world any more difficult William, but my life is now in your hands.”

William looked at her in shock.

“I…Sabrina, I don’t even know where to begin to find Jimmy.”

“You won’t have to look. Get the last two badges. Challenge the Elite Four. Agatha has been uncharacteristically quiet as of late – something must be going on at the Indigo Plateau. Get there as soon as possible – that will put you on a crash course with Jimmy Oak.”

“…Okay, Sabrina. I promise. You won’t die. I’ll stop Jimmy Oak.”

Sabrina stood up, and motioned Officer Jenny to come get her.

“If this is the last I see of you, William Oak, then it has been an honor knowing you. I don’t remember your father, but I have no doubt in my mind that he would have been proud of you.”

----------------------

“This just in from the court room,” the news anchor on the television screen said. “Sabrina has been declared guilty, and will be sentenced to death for her crimes in ten days.”

Agatha muted the television, and tried to ignore the laughter of Lance from behind her.

“They are murdering one of the few people who can protect them,” Lance said in between his laughter. “It's like they want us to take over.”

Lorelei, who was sitting next to Agatha, was even more of a mess. Her eyes were constantly full of tears, and she was weeping openly now.

She tried to tell me, Agatha thought. She could have told me, but instead she spent her valuable time warning me about Jimmy Oak. My son. My son…

Agatha closed her eyes, fighting back the pain she was feeling in her chest. It was not the pain of something bad to come; it was the pain of her heart. It ached; it was tired. She had become too old for this.

Agatha could literally hear her heart beat in her chest. Mixed in with the cruel, cold laughter of Lance behind her, it was not a pleasant sound.

“Ahem,” Lance said, calling their attention. He was apparently done laughing now. Agatha turned her head slowly to the Dragon Master, her eyes cold and angry. Lorelei refused to look. “Now that I’ve got my comedy in for the day, I am leaving for a special errand.”

“Where are you going?” Agatha asked, her tone demanding an answer.

“Just somewhere special for Jimmy. He needs a bit of information, that's all,” Lance said. “Do not try to leave the building, or contact anyone on the outside. There are cameras rigged all throughout this building, and we will be notified immediately if you do anything. Don’t forget – Bruno’s life is on the line.”

And then, without another word, he turned and left, laughing again as he shoved his way through the golden doors.

Agatha sighed and sat back down. She turned to Lorelei, who was still crying. Lorelei, who had seen so much, yet was still a child compared to Agatha.

“Lorelei,” Agatha said softly. “We need to discuss something.”

Lorelei turned her head slowly to Agatha, her eyes wide, as if she knew what Agatha was going to say.

“There comes a time, Lorelei, when the fate of one man is not worth the fate of the entire world,” Agatha said. “That time is almost upon us.”

Lorelei looked up to Agatha in shock.

“…No...”

“I’m sorry Lorelei,” Agatha said. “But even Bruno would not wish us to sacrifice the world to Jimmy for his life. For all we know, Bruno could already be dead.”

“No, no, no, Bruno is still alive,” Lorelei cried, trembling.

“Even if he is Lorelei, he would want us to act.”

“There has to be something we can do! Can’t you contact Sabrina through your dreams or something?”

“I’ve tried. But that band around her forehead has made her completely unreachable.”

“William! Contact your grandson-”

“William’s connection to the Psychic World is too weak for a steady connection to be held,” Agatha said.

Tears rolled down Lorelei’s face. Her eyes were wide and unblinking, her mouth gaping open the slightest bit. Agatha could see her brain at work, trying to think of someone – someway. Some kind of possibility.

“Janine – contact your daughter in-law.”

“William gets his psychic deafness from her.”

“Oh please, Agatha!” Lorelei cried. “There must be someone!”

Agatha hesitated. There was someone. One last person she could attempt to reach.

But it was not going to be easy. Not the reaching them; she would have no difficult in that. It would be the talking to them.

“There is one person,” she said, softly. “But I don’t think they will be happy to see me.”

-----------------------

The sun was already setting on Saffron City as William walked briskly down the empty hall to his hotel room. He did not have much time to waste. His countdown had already begun. He was racing against the clock. Either he would save the world in time or he would fail – and Sabrina would die.

Or he would fail to save the world, and he and Sabrina would die. That was a possibility too.

But William tried not to think like that.

William reached his hotel room and entered his card key. He shoved the door open and walked inside.

He wanted to get his stuff and leave right away. There was no time to delay. However, when William flipped on the lights, he found that someone had been waiting for him on his bed. She stood up when the lights went on, and smiled gently at William.

“Hey,” she said.

It was Val.
-Edited by Kyatenaru
[+] A Few...no...ONE thought.
Nothing like a countdown to spice things up.
Next chapter may end up making my list in my top ten favorite chapters. So be excited for it. It will be posted either tomorrow, or the day after.

LordQ
Hoenn League Champion
Hoenn League Champion

June 23rd, 2011, 1:24 am #446

A nice way to kick things off for Part 8 properly!
[+] Spoiler
I'm guessing that it's Blaine that Agatha will try to contact? We'll see. And lol, Lance is becoming more and more suspicious with each thing he does. And I like the time limit you've put on William. Very nice. We'll see how it goes with Val.

Banner coming soon!
[+] Spoiler

TrainerBOB

June 24th, 2011, 12:06 am #447

[+] Reply
LordQ wrote:A nice way to kick things off for Part 8 properly!
[+] Spoiler
I'm guessing that it's Blaine that Agatha will try to contact? We'll see. And lol, Lance is becoming more and more suspicious with each thing he does. And I like the time limit you've put on William. Very nice. We'll see how it goes with Val.
Thanks LordQ :smile:
And I wanted to let everyone know that there probably won't be an update tonight. But there will be one tomorrow - I can assure everyone that tomorrow the update will be here.

tho_freakin_mas
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym

June 24th, 2011, 1:31 am #448

Hey sorry I haven't commented in a while. Don't worry I'm still watching this run like a boss. Last few chapters have been, in a word, awesome. Really looking forward to part 8. This run has inspired me to do my own yellow story run, check it out if you have a chance.

Psyche
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym

June 24th, 2011, 3:33 am #449

MAN I have a lot of catching up to do, I haven't read anything in fan challenges in a long time. I think I haven't read anything since chapter fifty-something... in the next few days I'll get around to reading everything and comment again. Keep up what I'm assuming has been great work :D
Why don't YOU have a furret yet?
Crystal story run!
(COMPLETE)Yellow cartridge run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

TrainerBOB

June 24th, 2011, 3:43 am #450

[+] Replies
tho_freakin_mas wrote:Hey sorry I haven't commented in a while. Don't worry I'm still watching this run like a boss. Last few chapters have been, in a word, awesome. Really looking forward to part 8. This run has inspired me to do my own yellow story run, check it out if you have a chance.
Thanks man! :smile:
And I'm so glad you've been inspired, I'll have to go give it a read!
Oh, and also, I LIED.
New chapter.
Chapter Seventy-Four
[+] Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Four: Heartbreak

William stood in the frame of the doorway, hesitating as he studied Val. His fingers twitched as he wondering if he should let a Pokemon out of its ball for protection – but no; he needed to do this alone.

William took a step forward, closing the door behind him. Val was watching him carefully. She had a light smile on her face. Whether it was a mischievous grin, or a smile of kindness, William wasn’t sure. He didn’t move from the spot he had walked too. He just looked at Val, neither frowning nor smiling. His eyes were empty, his face emotionless.

As Val stared back at William, her own smile slowly slipped off her face, replaced by a worried frown.

“Hello Valeria,” William said, his voice cold.

There was a pause. Then-

“I thought I told you to call me Val,” she said, her voice soft and scared.

“I’m not sure what to call you anymore,” William said, his voice now rough and angry. “Val? Valeria? How about Jessie?” Val flinched at the third name.

“That was a code name,” she said. “Jamie picked mine.”

“You mean James?”

“His name was Jamie!” Val snapped, her tone angry now and her hands clenched into fists. She took a step away from the bed and toward William.

“Was he always a little monster?”

“He wasn’t-he’s not…no!” Val snapped, stammering over her own words. “He isn’t like that.”

“He tried to kill me. He did kill Percy. He was a monster.”

“You didn’t know him!” Val cried out. She was trembling now, and seemed close to tears. “You didn’t know him like I did.”

“Right,” William said, his eyes cold. “Just like I don’t know you. So. What do you want, Jessie?”

“Call me Val,” she demanded. “Say it. Val.”

“No.”

“Say it!” She screamed at him.

“Or? Are you going to kill me?” William asked.

“I would never hurt you,” Val said. Water was now spilling over the edge of her eyes, rolling down her cheeks, splashing onto the floor.

“Oh?” William asked, as he raised up his left hand, revealing his missing finger.

Val covered her mouth with her hand.

“That…that was an accident. I was aiming to miss.”

“You didn’t miss.”

“But I-”

“But you didn’t.”

Val found herself at a loss for words, her mouth gaping open. She fell to the bed and started to cry. William stayed rooted to the spot, not moving to comfort her. Emotions battled out inside his head – he wasn’t sure what to do.

“Why are you here?” William finally asked, after several awful, silent seconds.

Val wiped her eyes, and then slowly reached behind her. She held up a briefcase, and shook it once.

“In here is enough money for two plane tickets to Unova, as well as enough to buy citizenship,” Val said. “It…it was going to be for me and Jamie…but…”

Val cleared her throat, and her voice became strong again.

“Run away with me William; leave Kanto. Leave the world’s troubles behind.”

“…You want me to run?” William asked her, his voice surprised. “You want me to leave the world to Jimmy?”

“Not the world!” Val exclaimed. “Just Kanto.”

“And what happens when Jimmy comes after the rest of the world?” William asked her icily. “Then what?”

Val looked away, unsure of what to say. She struggled to form words, but she found herself unable.

William sighed and then walked over to Val. He sat next to her on the bed, and though they were mere inches away, it felt like the entire world was between them.

“Do you remember that night on the S. S. Anne?” He asked her. Val turned her head slightly, surprised by the question.

“Of course.”

“I tried to tell you about my father. About my fears, about what happened at Bill’s house,” William said. “But you stopped me. Why?”

Val looked away, her eyes suddenly distant and sad.

“Everything you told me…I was going to report back. I didn’t want to know. I didn’t want to hurt you any more than I was going to.”

William closed his eyes, and then the snapped open in an instant. He jumped off the bed, and he spun around to face Val. She watched him carefully.

“Bill,” he said, suddenly. “I told you he was looking for Jimmy…is that why he was killed?”

Val turned her head as far away from William as possible, refusing to look at him in his eyes.

“You said I was the reason Bill was dead,” William asked her, angry now. “Are you blaming his death on me because I confided something in you, and you took that back to Team Rocket?”

“Yes,” Val said, now standing up as well. “You trusted me. You shouldn’t have. Like I’ve said William, you’re too optimistic.”

“Maybe I’m not optimistic,” William said, leaning in to her face. “Maybe I just expect more from people.”

“Well then, I hope you’re used to disappointment,” Val said, leaning in closer. Their faces were less than an inch away, and they held each other’s eyes intensely.

And then Val leaned in and kissed William. She dropped the suitcase to the floor, and she placed both hands on his face her lips brushed against his. She threw her body into William’s, and for a few seconds they were locked together by the lips, as she kiss him and he kissed her…

And then William pushed Val off of him, shoving her backwards until she slammed into the wall. She gasped, leaning against the wall, breathing heavily.

“Leave,” William snapped. “Take your money and leave. It’s probably stolen anyway.”

“It’s not stolen!” Val snapped. “I worked for it. I earned-”

“Did you honestly expect me to run away with you using money that you earned by working for Team Rocket?” William asked her, his voice harsh and angry. “Get out of here.”

Val’s eyes softened and became sad as she looked at William, her face begging him to change his mind. But he returned the gaze with stone-cold eyes, unblinking and unchanging.

Val’s face hardened, and she bent down and picked up her suitcase. She turned and walked stiffly out of the hotel room.

“Goodbye, William Oak,” she said as she closed the door behind her.

William closed his eyes, and he found himself whispering against his own will:

“Goodbye…Val.”

------------------

This was no normal dream. Blaine knew that.

He had fallen asleep mere minutes ago, and now he found himself walking through a world devoid of everything. The ground he walked on was black – but a kind of void-black, as though it was made of nothing. And there was nothing all around Blaine. Nothing in all directions. There was somehow light for him to see himself, and the ground he walked on. But it was nothing. There was light to see nothing.

“Blaine? Are you okay?” A female voice said. Blaine turned around, and he found himself staring at Agatha of the Elite 4. The old woman wore her normal purple dress, and she walked forward slowly.

“Agatha?” Blaine asked confused. “I’m fine…why wouldn’t I be?”

“I’ve rarely do this with those who don’t have psychic connections,” Agatha said, still approaching.

“I see. I didn’t think this was a normal dream. Especially when I saw you.”

“Why is that?” Agatha said. She had reached Blaine, and was now looking up to him. He was almost two feet taller than the short lady.

“When I dream of you, we are always both younger.”

Agatha frowned, and she made a gesture with her hand. The ground rose up, forming into a bench they could sit on. She sat down, and gestured for him to do the same. He did so cautiously.

“Why are you here in my dreams, Agatha? And just what has the Elite Four been up to? Why didn’t they try to stop Team Rocket from attacking Saffron City?”

“Bruno has been kidnapped,” Agatha said. “If we do anything, he will be killed.”

“Who has kidnapped Bruno?” Blaine asked.

“Jimmy.”

“So he is still alive,” Blaine mused, scratching his mustache. “Though this still does not explain why you are here.”

“We need your help, Blaine.”

“Ah,” the Fire Gym Leader said, his voice bitter. “And here I was hoping for just a visit.”

“I’m sorry, Blaine,” Agatha said. “But it's not just me. It’s the entire world. We all need your help.”

“Isn’t that always the case when Jimmy is concerned?” Blaine asked, standing up and turning away.

Agatha closed her eyes and brushed her white hair out of her face.

“I’m sorry to come to you, but you are the only one I can reach out to now.”

Blaine turned around and looked at Agatha.

“And what would you have me do?”

Agatha looked at Blaine, studying him. She had not seen him in person in over a decade, and he had aged a little. The bald spot on his head was growing, the wrinkles on his round face were deepening. His mustache was now more white than gray. But his eyes were still a soft brown.

“Help William and Chris Oak,” she said, her voice soft. “Tell them whatever you know.”

“Chris has already moved through my town,” Blaine said. “He’s already left to challenge the mysterious gym leader of Viridian.”

“Then help William.”

“How?” Blaine asked. “What do I know?”

“What did Jimmy do that made you so mad?” Agatha asked, standing up now. “What was it?”

Blaine crossed his arms and turned away.

“He wasted a golden opportunity. But more importantly, he tried to use the power we had created for greedy, personal gain.”

“Please,” Agatha said. “Tell us. It could help. Anything could help.”

Blaine was silent for a second, and then sighed.

“If William can beat me in battle…then he will have earned the right to know.”

Agatha closed her eyes, and thought a silent prayer.

“Thank you, Blaine.”

She then got up, and with a gesture of her hand, the bench fell back into the ground. Agatha then turned and started to walk away, leaving Blaine alone.

“You should have picked me!”

Agatha, who was already ten yards away, stopped, and turned around slowly. Blaine had turned around to look at her, and he was breathing heavily.

Agatha started to walk forward to Blaine. As she walked forward, her body began to glow, and she began to morph. Her hair grew in volume and changed to the color black. Her slightly pudgy body drew into itself, and the wrinkles on her face vanished as her skin tightened. Her purple dress changed, becoming shorter, more revealing.

As she approached Blaine, he changed as well. The hair on his head grew back out, and his hair turned to its original brown. The mustache over his lip grew shorter and shorter until it vanished all together, and brown hairs begin to grow up on his chin, forming into a goatee. Liver spots on his hands and arms vanished. His nightgown was replaced with a lab coat, and smooth, black pants.

Agatha reached Blaine, and he bent his head down. He placed one hand on her shoulder, and another on her cheek. She wrapped her arms around his hips. He kissed her gently, and she kissed him back. She broke away after a second, and then whispered softly.

“I loved you, Blaine.”

“Do you still?”

“I haven’t loved in a long time.”

“You should have picked me,” Blaine said. “Don’t you wish you picked me over Samuel? We would have been happy together.”

“Samuel gave me Jimmy. He lied to me. He gave me heartache.” Agatha said. “But he also gave me something I would never give up – Charlie and Richard.”

“Were Charlie and Richard worth Jimmy?” Blaine asked bitterly.

“Charlie and Richard are worth everything in the world,” Agatha responded softly. Blaine closed his eyes, and turned away.

“Blaine.”

Blaine looked back, and he found Agatha had changed back to her older self. He looked at his hands, and he found them aged as well.

“I’m so sorry for everything,” Agatha said. She bowed her head. “Thank you for your help.”

Then, she turned, and started to walk away. Blaine watched her go – hoping she would stop. She did. When she was ten yards away, she turned, and looked back to Blaine.

“I’m not sure I’m going to survive it this time Blaine,” she said. “I’ve got a horrible feeling in my chest. This time, Jimmy may kill me.”

“I’ve got a horrible feeling in my chest too, Agatha,” Blaine said, “except mine is heartbreak.”

And then the dream ended.

-----------------------

It was late at night.

Misty sat behind her desk, leaning back in her chair, massaging her closed eyes with her right hand, while her left rested on her desk.

Articles laid spread out on the desk before her. Articles about William. Articles about Chris. Articles about Sabrina. Articles about Bill.

And articles about Jimmy. “Was he still alive?” journalists asked. “What is he doing?” journalists asked. “Is Sabrina a hoax?” journalists asked. “Are Chris and William just seeking attention?” journalists asked.

The articles were everywhere. Clippings from newspapers and magazines. Broadsheets, tabloids, magazines of every kind and flavor.

Misty’s desk was a news-vomit pile.

And Misty was tired. The gym-leader was young, and she was trying to find the greatest criminal in the world. And she was scared, because she felt like he was trying to find her. She was tired of walking home in the dark with her hand clutched around a Pokéball. She was tired of sleeping with the lights on. She was tired of it all. She just wanted everything to go back to the way things were, but they wouldn’t. She had jumped into a dangerous world, and she was stuck there.

It was in the middle of all these thoughts that Misty’s phone rang.

Her eyes shot open and she grabbed it in a flash. The noise scared her. Any noise scared her. It was in the middle of the night; she should have left for home by now. But she hadn’t; she had been too scared.

“Hello?” She whispered softly into the phone.

“Misty?” A confused Brock said over the line. Misty sighed in relief, and then tensed up. Lately, she had been feeling even tense around Brock because of a certain very sudden realization. “I called your home…and no one answered?”

“Sorry,” Misty said, her voice soft. “I’m still in my office…working.” She didn’t want to admit to him she was afraid. What would he think then?

“Late night, huh?” Brock said with a chuckle. “Me too. But this time – I have good news. I think – no, I know – I found something.”

“What is it?” Misty asked, excited now.

“Do you have that column from Professor Oak a few weeks back?”

“The crappy one about Kanto?” Misty asked, snorting. “Yeah, I saved it because you felt like there was something odd about it.”

“There is. Professor Oak left us a code message.”

Misty felt her heart rate increase.

“Hold on, let me find it.”

She dug through her the papers on her desk, knocking articles to the floor. She found the one she was looking for within a minute.

“Let me reread it,” she said, her voice hushed.

The Kanto region is truly the best region out of them all. No other region could possibly hold a candle to the beauty and masterpiece that is the Kanto landscape. From our mountains, to our fields, to our lakes, and to our caves – Kanto is simply the best. Ever crevice and every grass of this land is wonderful, wonderful place makes my heart thump fast in my chest. I wouldn’t be happy anyplace else in the world! But, there is much more that makes Kanto the best beside the landscape.

After all, Kanto is home to the best eight gym leaders out there in the entire world. What other region can boast that they have such a unique and diverse group of gym leaders? None. And there tough too – just look at how long it has been since someone made it to the champion! And we treat our gym leaders well to – the only thing that they don’t get is Johto’s vegetable: yam!

Right after our gym leaders come the trainers themselves. There a brave bunch – after all they have to face the man dangers of Kanto! Plenty of wilderness, forests, and caves. They use a wide range of Pokemon – some are slithery, like Ekans, while others are ever changing, like Ditto.

Can you feel it in you? The feeling you get about Kanto? It really is an amazing place to be isn’t it? I am trying to show the grandness of Kanto with simple ink.

Even though there are other regions out there, Kanto is definitely the best. When it comes to places, Kanto has stolen my heart.

“Okay, it sucks,” Misty said, frowning. “But what’s the message?”

“Circle the first and last letter of every paragraph.”

Misty grabbed a pen on her desk and did as he said.

“Team Rocket…” Misty whispered out loud. “It's true…Jimmy and Team Rocket are connected. Just as we suspected.”

“This doesn’t change much now,” Brock said. “It would have made all the difference in the world a few weeks ago.”

“But it means something,” Misty said. “If Oak knows that his son was connected to the criminal group, it may mean that Oak knows exactly what his son is planning. He may know more than he is letting on.”

“Well, we’ve always thought that.”

“Yeah, but now I think it even more,” Misty said, setting the article aside.

“Well,” Brock said. “That is really all I have…” he seemed depressed by that fact. “Anything else on your end?”

“No.” Misty responded.

“Then I guess I’ll talk to you tomorrow,” Brock said. Misty felt her heart quicken, and she suddenly called out before Brock could hang up-

“Wait!”

“Hm?”

Misty paused, thinking carefully of the words she was going to use. She felt her heart pounding away in her chest, and she suddenly had trouble breathing.

“Brock…Brock I’m beginning to think of you as more of a friend,” she said softly into the phone. There was silence on the other line. “It's just…it's just that I think I am starting to feel something for you. I mean, we’re a lot alike really, we’re both Pokemon trainers, we’re about the same age, we both lost our parents to Jimmy…” Misty swallowed. Brock still wasn’t saying anything, and she was rambling now. “I…I think what I am trying to say Brock…is I think I…I think I like you.”

Brock still didn’t respond.

“Oh my Arceus, that’s lame,” Misty said, running her free hand through her red hair. “What am I – twelve? Oh Brock…I don’t like you. I love you Brock. I think I am falling in love with you.”

Brock still didn’t respond.

“Brock?” She said. “Brock…you don’t have to say you love me back…but…but I want to know how you feel.”

There was a moment of silence. And then-

“Hello Misty,” a deep voice, deeper than Brock’s, boomed through the phone.

“Brock?” Misty asked, surprised. “Brock – where is Brock!”

“Brock?” The deep voice asked. “I’m afraid Brock is busy right now. He is on the ground, laying in a rapidly growing pool of his own blood.”

Misty felt her entire body go numb, the blood draining from her face. But her heart rate quickened.

“Who is this?” she said into the phone, even though she knew the answer.

“This is the man you have been looking for, Misty,” the man said. “This is Jimmy Oak.”

There. It was like everything in her life had been leading to this moment. This second. This conversation.

But all Misty could think about was Brock – laying on the floor, bleeding to death.

“What do you want?” Misty asked, speaking through the lump in her throat. “What do you want in exchange for Brock?”

“Nothing,” Jimmy said. “Brock’s life is mine now. I am taking it.”

“No! Please, don’t!”

“Come on now Misty,” Jimmy said. “Surely you know it is useless to beg.”

“I’m calling the police,” Misty said, getting ready to hang the phone up. “The Pewter City Police will be on you in a second!”
“You could do that,” Jimmy said. “Or, you could listen to me while I tell you exactly how I killed your mother, Rain, and where you can find her few, scattered remains. There is no point trying to save Brock Misty. He is going to die. Why don’t you stay on line, and benefit from this conversation?”

Misty felt her entire body go still.

“That’s it Misty…” Jimmy said. “That is a good girl. Now, finding your mother alone was simple enough for me. I-”

And then Misty slammed the phone down onto the receiver. She picked it up just as quickly and dialed the Pewter City Police Department.

“Brock is dying,” she ordered when someone picked up. “Get all your units to his gym immediately.”

And then she hung up the phone, without allowing them to ask her any questions, or give them her identity.

Misty sat still at her desk, staring at the phone before her. She realized what would have to happen now. She could not stay in her gym, in her home, in her town.

Jimmy was going to come after her.

She stood up and attached her two Pokémon to her belt. She grabbed her backpack and threw it over her shoulders. There were a few things of value in there. She was still wearing her swim suit beneath her yellow beach clothes. That was all Misty needed.

She was about to walk out of the door when her phone rang. She turned, stared at it for a second, and then answered it.

“You'd better run, Misty.”

And then Jimmy hung up, not giving Misty a change to respond. Misty stood there, holding the phone to her head, tears flowing down her face as she thought of Brock, who was dying – Brock, who was alone – and of herself, soon to be alone. Soon to be on the run.

Soon to die if Jimmy caught her.

Misty turned and ran out of the door.
-Edited by Kyratenaru
[+] Many Long Thoughts
Okay. Because this is a chapter all about love and heartbreak, I know there may be some broken hearts out there on what I did. Also, I realize it may of been foolish/overly dark of me to break apart three separate couples in a single chapter. So, let me say a few things about each couple:
[+] William and Val
I hope the direction their conversation took this chapter is neither surprising or shocking. I felt this was very within the realm of William's character, and it is exactly how he, a very morally bound person, would react. Whether or not Val is coming back into the story, you will see. But for now, this is the status of their relationship.
[+] Agatha and Blaine
This may of seemed thrown together at the last minute, but I planned this little love triangle since the start. I only realize now it may of not been the best idea to put it in with the other two couples in this chapter. But, that aside, Samuel and Blaine fought over Agatha when they were all younger. She chose Professor Oak, over Blaine, and the two ended up breeding one of the most evil trainers the world has ever seen. This could have been avoided if she had a sassy gay friend. Jokes aside, I did not spend as much time developing their possible relationship as I should/could. Sorry for that, but I wasn't going to take it out because of a mistake. It would look all wrong to me otherwise. So, tl;dr Agatha and Blaine really were a planned couple, it was just executed poorly on my part. The Ends.
[+] Misty and Brock
Hey Ash and Misty shippers, you mad? Lol, joking. This was another thing that was planned yet poorly executed. This is going to sound horrible, but in the beginning I decided Brock would die. And then, I said "hey, it may seem pretty obvious Brock is going to die. I should have Misty confess her love for Brock during the conversation so readers forget that Brock is on Jimmy's hit list and they'll be all 'holy crap' when Jimmy jumps out of no where smiling like a clown and what not." And then, I tried to hint that they were close in their previous interactions, but I think I may of did a poor job of that. Regardless, I'm still really happy with the way this scene turned out. I hope you were all somewhat/sorta surprised when Jimmy started talking.
For my next run, (which will start in August), I will be writing an entire plot outline before even starting the prologue. Stuff that seems jumbled like this will be avoided this way. I said this chapter may break my list of top ten favorite chapters. It still does, simply because of Brock's death.
But yeah, don't feel intimidated to critique or say what you feel about what happened in this chapter and the way it was executed. I love all feed-back, regardless if it is a thumbs up or a thumbs down. :smile: I was just stating my stance on the characters above, that was all, and letting y'all know I was aware of a few mistakes I may have made.
[+] Also
I hope you see what I mean after I posted about Sarge dying. Characters start dying now. If you want, speculate whose next. The outlook is good for no one.

tho_freakin_mas

June 24th, 2011, 4:20 am #451

Hooray for lying! The only problem I really had with this chapter was that Agatha and Blaine didn't really fit in with the two other characters. I was actually fairly surprised when Jimmy started talking. At first I just though Brock was just happy he got a girl. Also I remember that article back from early in the story. I spent like 20 minutes trying to decode some big message then I find out it wa that simple. Awesome chapter though. Looking forward to more.

LordQ
Hoenn League Champion
Hoenn League Champion

June 24th, 2011, 5:14 am #452

I really wouldn't have thought anything of the placement of Agatha and Blaine in there if you hadn't mentioned it. It seemed fine to me.

Good chapter overall.

Banner coming soon!
[+] Spoiler

Morgana Card
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym

June 25th, 2011, 3:04 am #453

That...That was excellently written.
[+] Spoiler
The whole thing with Brock and Misty was shocking not in the sense that I didn't see that there was something there, but with Jimmy just like teleporting into the gym and stabbing Brock. That scared me a lot.
Blaine and Agatha...That was interesting. I like it though :I
Oh, and thank you for the inspiration, I think I'll be starting a Yellow run within the next week or two. :D
Ongoing Run(s): LeafGreen (4 deaths, going to Cinnabar.)
Paused Run(s): None.
Failed Run(s): Emerald (5 deaths, failed at Norman.), FireRed (failed. 7 deaths.), LeafGreen (failed at 8th gym giovanni)

Epsi

June 25th, 2011, 4:07 am #454

Yep, I'm pretty sure that this is my fav chapter in the whole thing. Pretty thrilling at the end there.
[+] Spoiler
Y'know how when you read a story each character has a certain way they sound in your head? The way Jimmy's voice came out over the telephone sent shivers down my spine. I think I'm going to read it again.
Hello. Let's play some music.

lisalo

June 25th, 2011, 11:53 am #455

Who shall die... well, Agtha and Blaine are both on the list of potential threats, as is Misty. But Blaine still has to deliver that information... so Agatha it is
BTW, i now have realised another possible visiting place: seafoam.

The Frog

June 25th, 2011, 3:24 pm #456

Everyone so far named is gonna die. Misty, Sabrina, Blaine, Koga, All of the E4, Chris, Possibly Charlie and Richard if they show up, our mysterious Champion is also gonna die...

Seriously, that's the impression I'm getting here. As soon as a character has filled their role in the base plot (the one from the games, natch), they're already dead.

Current Run:
Yellow
(Chapter Thirteen, put up Mar 17 2011)(Yes, it hasn't been updated in over a year. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.)
[+] Spoiler
Failed Run:
Blind White: The Abridged Series (Reached Episode 8)

Retskcaj

June 26th, 2011, 1:58 pm #457

I agree with LordQ, nothing seemed out of place with the chapter, although the Jimmy aspect didn't really surprise me. You might as well have named this story run "Murphy's Law" because that's basically how I'm treating all of it. I just automatically assume the worst is going to happen and I'm usually correct. No real complaints about the chapter, well-written and interesting to read.

TrainerBOB

June 27th, 2011, 12:32 am #458

On noes, Psyche ninja me and I missed her post! :charliebrown:
Lol, sorry Psyche.
Psyche wrote:MAN I have a lot of catching up to do, I haven't read anything in fan challenges in a long time. I think I haven't read anything since chapter fifty-something... in the next few days I'll get around to reading everything and comment again. Keep up what I'm assuming has been great work :D
Thank you so much! :smile: I need to edit the Table of Contents, so not all the updates are posted there right now [/lazy]. Be sure to let me know what you think of...well...you'll know...when you catch up!
[+] Replies
tho_freakin_mas wrote:Hooray for lying! The only problem I really had with this chapter was that Agatha and Blaine didn't really fit in with the two other characters. I was actually fairly surprised when Jimmy started talking. At first I just though Brock was just happy he got a girl. Also I remember that article back from early in the story. I spent like 20 minutes trying to decode some big message then I find out it wa that simple. Awesome chapter though. Looking forward to more.
Thanks tho_freakin_mas! And yesh, sorry, that message was fairly simple actually. :sweatdrop: But I'm glad Jimmy caught you off guard. That was my pan. :coolshades:
LordQ wrote:I really wouldn't have thought anything of the placement of Agatha and Blaine in there if you hadn't mentioned it. It seemed fine to me.

Good chapter overall.
Thanks Q! Glad to know it didn't seem off.
Aporia wrote:That...That was excellently written.
[+] Spoiler
The whole thing with Brock and Misty was shocking not in the sense that I didn't see that there was something there, but with Jimmy just like teleporting into the gym and stabbing Brock. That scared me a lot.
Blaine and Agatha...That was interesting. I like it though :I
Oh, and thank you for the inspiration, I think I'll be starting a Yellow run within the next week or two. :D
I'm glad to here another yellow run is starting. Yellow runs are the best.
Epsilon wrote:Yep, I'm pretty sure that this is my fav chapter in the whole thing. Pretty thrilling at the end there.
[+] Spoiler
Y'know how when you read a story each character has a certain way they sound in your head? The way Jimmy's voice came out over the telephone sent shivers down my spine. I think I'm going to read it again.
Thanks Epsilon! Glad you enjoyed it. Personally, its one of my favs. as well.
lisalo wrote:Who shall die... well, Agtha and Blaine are both on the list of potential threats, as is Misty. But Blaine still has to deliver that information... so Agatha it is
BTW, i now have realised another possible visiting place: seafoam.
The next death will be upon you sooner than you might think. dohohoho.
The Frog wrote:Everyone so far named is gonna die. Misty, Sabrina, Blaine, Koga, All of the E4, Chris, Possibly Charlie and Richard if they show up, our mysterious Champion is also gonna die...

Seriously, that's the impression I'm getting here. As soon as a character has filled their role in the base plot (the one from the games, natch), they're already dead.
Lol, thanks The Frog. But I'm not going to kill everyone. Or am I?
Retskcaj wrote:I agree with LordQ, nothing seemed out of place with the chapter, although the Jimmy aspect didn't really surprise me. You might as well have named this story run "Murphy's Law" because that's basically how I'm treating all of it. I just automatically assume the worst is going to happen and I'm usually correct. No real complaints about the chapter, well-written and interesting to read.
I don't know why Retskcaj, but your comment literally made me laugh for several minutes. :laughing: With people like Jimmy around, I guess whatever can go wrong is going to go wrong.
I just wanted to let everyone know that daily updates will resume on July 1st. From that point on, a chapter will be posted every day until the run is finished. And, the sequel (which, I can promise, is going to be more exciting than Eldest) will start in August!

Psyche

July 2nd, 2011, 1:34 am #459

Finally done! Read everything I missed in one sitting.
[+] comments
GEE those plot twists! And GEE those deaths! D: This is the one of the only Nuzlocke runs where I can say more people have died than Pokemon!

I can't say I'm surprised that everyone is dying, and I won't be surprised if when more people die in the future, but man. I hope Val doesn't come back, bitch doesn't deserve anything in my opinion >:l And while I hope Sabrina is saved, I have the feeling she won't be...

Oh, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy... this man is too evil to breathe. He should be breathing pure evil. He probably wilts plants just by walking by them. I don't know why ANYONE in their right mind would follow him. Eagerly awaiting the next installment :v:
Why don't YOU have a furret yet?
Crystal story run!
(COMPLETE)Yellow cartridge run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

Eeveon
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym

July 5th, 2011, 3:50 am #460

How could I have forgotten to comment here? D:

I just wanted to say that I love this story. So much. This is one of the best stories I've ever read! :D Each chapter gives me chills. So many plot twists. When I first read this, I was surprised how much you've changed a simple little game plot into something so epic!

Also, I'd like the say that the chapter that Percy died in, and the chapter where his spirit showed up in, I broke down crying, 'cause it was so sad...

I don't know what else to say, now, except telling you again how awesome this is and how much I love it.
Shit should go here. I just don't know what.

Mah DeviantArt page. &#8592; Unless you have a strange fetish for being bored out of your fucking mind, I wouldn't click that. :c
[+] Spoiler