Forum rules
You can't post new threads here.
If you have a run that's finished, please post it in Written Story Runs first. Then PM a
, and they'll move the thread for you!

Feel free to post in the runs that are already here, though!
tho_freakin_mas
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym

May 23rd, 2011, 7:47 pm #401

Where'd you go TrainerBob! It's been like 2 weeks since the last chapter. I'm hungry for more!

TrainerBOB
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

May 23rd, 2011, 10:15 pm #402

Thank you to all the replies, readings, and follows! I don't have time to reply to everyone right now, but thank you everyone for your comments. I am so blessed to have you all reading this, and I am grateful for your compliments.

I just wanted to apologize for the lack of updates the past two weeks. I've been a little busy, but that's not really a good excuse, as I've been busy in the past. Just know that a new update is coming tonight, or tomorrow. I'm working on the new chapter as we speak, and its already fairly long.

Thanks, and that's all for now :smile:

EDIT:
If you want something to speculate about in the meantime, know these things:
[+] Spoiler
Pretty spoily stuff:
[spoiler
There are deaths, and the deaths are a mixture of humans and Pokemon. I didn't get to all the deaths in this chapter.

There is a very unexpected visit.

Giovanni speaks of his family.

TrainerBOB

May 24th, 2011, 4:30 am #403

After too many days...here is an update. At last.

Its 4000+ words, and I didn't include everything I wanted to. Still, I think its fairly dramatic, and it gets better as it goes. What I left out will be in the next chapter of course.

Chapter Sixty-Eight
[+] Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Eight: Good-Bye

“Get down!” Surge yelled, raising the guns in the air. William and Chris ducked to their knees and covered their ears with their hands. Their Pokémon dropped to their bellies as well, following their trainer’s movements.

And then Surge pulled down on both triggers at once.

A constant spray of bullets came out of both guns for about 15 seconds. The loud bangs the machine guns penetrated past William’s hands and made his ears ache.

Surge’s body jerked with vibrations as he sprayed the bullets onto the Rockets on the opposite side of the room. Several of them turned to run, but there was nowhere to go. Instead the impact of the bullets sent them to the ground. The bodies of Pokémon and Rockets alike soon littered the floor, blood leaking from them in pools.

Surge released the triggers. He took a cautious step forward, his eyes narrowed in suspicion, coils of smoke still rolling out of the guns.

William and Chris cautiously stood up, their Pokemon following suit. William looked back nervously to Surge, and saw an angry glint in the man’s eyes. He followed his gaze, and found Surge staring at the Rocket Executive, who was standing against the golden elevator, the entirety of his body pressed against it with all the force he could muster, as if he was hoping he could slid through the solid doors to safety. He had somehow managed to not get shot by a single bullet; he had used plenty of meat shields.

“Surge,” the executive said, licking his lips nervously. “It's…it's so nice to see you again!”

Surge pointed the machine gun in his left hand at the man. His eyes were cold.

“Now…come on, Surge!” The executive cried out, his cold clammy hands pressing all the harder against the golden doors. “We…we were allies once!”

“Yes, Archer,” Surge said. “We were. But before that we were enemies, and you killed many good Pokémon and men. I told you that if we ever ran across one another again, I would do everything in my power to kill you.”

And then Surge unloaded his last round of bullets into the executive. Archer screamed, his voice high-pitched and weak, and then the executive collapsed to the floor, his eyes empty and his mouth still gaping open to release his last breath.

Surge lowered the machine guns and they fell from his hands.

“Thanks Surge,” William said, recalling his Pokémon. “I think you came just at the right moment.”

“Well, the right moment for us,” Chris said, attempting a half-grin. “I don’t think the Rockets appreciated it much.”

No one laughed at the joke, it felt flat in the air, and the three trainers looked at each other, their faces tense, and their eyes cautious.

“We need to go up to the President’s room now,” Surge said.

William nodded in agreement, and turned his head to Chris, who nodded in return.

“Should be easy,” William commented, recalling his Pokemon to their balls. “With those guns and all.”

But Surge shook his head.

“I just used my last bullets – we’re all out.”

“Don’t you think it would have been more practical to leave that executive alive then,” Chris challenged, his voice irritated. “Or kill him some other way? I mean, all we really need is a few bullets to take out whoever is on that top floor.”

Surge frowned at Chris, and furrowed his bushy, blond eyebrows together.

“Kid, there are some things you have to do, no matter what the price,” Surge said. “Not because its practical, but because if you don’t you'll have trouble getting to sleep at night.”

Chris held Surge’s gaze, not blinking or looking away.

“Hey,” William said, stepping in between them. “This isn’t the time or place.”

Surge nodded, though his mouth stayed set in a fine, thin line, and his eyes kept their sharp glint. Chris crossed his arms over his chest, and turned away. William reminded himself that Chris had just lost a Pokémon, he was sure to be suffering from some internal issues.

“Okay,” William said. “Let's go now.”

But it was at that precise moment that they heard two dings ring simultaneously. They came from the golden elevators on both side of the room. William, Surge, and Chris jumped, and stood bunched together. Surge bent down, grabbed his two empty machine guns, and stood up in a flash, pointing one at each door.

The golden elevators swung open. Six or so Rockets from each elevator cautiously poked their heads out of the doors, and they tensed the instant they saw their dead comrades and the three intruders.

“Don’t move!” Surge snapped, waving the empty machine guns. He turned his head from left to right, watching both of the groups.

William jerked a Pokéball from his belt, and pointed it at a group of Rockets. Chris’s Jolteon, his only Pokémon that remained conscious and battle-ready, stood at his trainer’s side.

One of the Rockets took a cautious step forward, out of the golden elevator. He slowly drew a knife from his pocket as his eyes narrowed, and a sly grin spread across his face.

“Go ahead, shoot us.”

Surge bit his lower lip, and his grip on the machine gun tightened. The other Rockets watched with anticipation, and small smiles slowly grew on their faces when not a single bullet shot out of the gun.

“You’re out of ammo, aren’t you?”

Surge kept his gun pointed at the Rocket, his eyes did not leaving his opponent. Instead, he whispered softly: “Boys, both of you, head up the stairs and save the President. I’ll deal with these.”

“No way,” William murmured back, as the other Rockets grinned, unclipped balls from their belts, and took strides forward. “We’re not leaving you down here alone.”

“We can’t wait any longer – whatever is going on up there can’t be good.” Surge snapped back.

“William,” Chris said. “You go, leave me and Surge down here to deal with this group.”

“No!” William said, his voice rising. The Rockets perked their ears, catching the first word of the conversation. “I’m not leaving you two!”

“ATTACK!” The Rocket who had spoken to Surge screamed. The group of Rockets lurched forward, drawing knives and letting loose their Pokémon.

Surge yelled and threw the machine guns at the charging groups of Rockets on both sides. The machine guns twirled through the air, each colliding with a Rocket. There were two sharp cracks, the sounds of skulls being broken, and the two Rockets dropped to the floor.

But that was only two of the dozen Rockets that charged forward. Arboks, Persians, and Nidoran charged along side their trainers, teeth gleaming and eyes filled with rage.

“WILLIAM – GO! IT’S OUR ONLY CHANCE, ARCEUS DAMNIT!” Surge screamed, as he tore two long knives from his pockets. Each was about a foot long, the gray steel sharp and lethal.

William bit down on his lip, but then turned and ran for the stairs. At the threshold leading to the stairs though, he stopped, spun around, and commanded in a sharp voice.

“Tybalt, Desdemona, Eros, come out!” The three Pokemon came blasting from their Pokéballs around William’s belt.

“Help them!” William shouted his desperate command as he turned and ascended the stairs. He did not glimpse back at the events that began to rapidly unfold. He did not see Surge stab his knife into the chest of a Rocket. He did not see Raichu shoot from his electrical cheeks a powerful attack that brought three Pokemon down. He did not see Edward, Chris’s Jolteon overcome by three Nidoran. He did not see Chris desperately stab down with his knife, trying to save his Pokemon. He did not see an Arbok wrap itself around Surge and the two begin to wrestle.

But as William sprinted up the stairs, his knees pumping up and down, pounding away at the floor, he heard it all. He heard the cries, he heard the screams. He even thought he could hear the blood splashing down on the floor. Pokémon were killing Pokémon. Men were killing Pokémon. Pokémon were trying to kill men.

William closed his eyes and continued up the stairs, using his hands to guide himself up the rails. He tried to block the chaos from below out of his mind. He tried to ignore the thoughts that he could return, and find his friends, or his Pokémon, dead.

William dashed up the steps, imagining what could be happening behind him, with no idea what horrid events awaited him in the room ahead.
------------------------------

“Here, Jessie,” Giovanni said, tossing her the black handgun. They still stood Mr. Silph's office, Giovanni drawing a walkie-talkie from his black suit as he issued the order. “Kill him.”

Jessie caught the gun, but fumbled and nearly dropped it. She studied the steel with a look of plain horror on her face. Her eyes darted to Mr. Silph, who was still on the floor of the office. He watched her without care.

“You want me to kill him?” she asked her boss in a soft whisper.

“Yes,” Giovanni said, now grinning. “Consider it a gift.”

Jessie closed her eyes, trying to keep the tears from ruining her makeup. She held the gun between her hands, feeling the steel between them. Then, her eyes snapped open, and she strode forward to Mr. Silph.

Giovanni behind watched with barely contained glee. His eyes were wide with excitement, and his grin stretched from ear to ear.

Jessie had reached Mr. Silph. She stood not two feet away from him. The Rocket Executive slowly raised her gun to point at that bloodied man. The barrel hovered not an inch from his forehead. He stared at the barrel, and as he did so, his eyes moved slowly to look at Jessie, moving his gaze away from the gun and to her eyes. He wanted to see what was there – what emotion.

Mr. Silph looked deep into Jessie’s eyes, for the first time since she had entered the room. He saw many things there – hate and fear were among the many emotions. But he saw something else. He saw something that made his heart stop, his eyes widened, and his mouth gape open.

“…Why?” he said in a soft whisper.

Jessie did not seem surprised by the question. She merely took a sharp breath, and replied back in the same tone as he had questioned her.

“I’m sorry father…I have forgotten.”

And then she pulled the trigger. A sharp bang rang out from the gun, and blood blasted out of Mr. Silph’s head. Jessie’s pure white coat was splashed in his blood, forever staining it. She slowly turned away, her eyes barely open, her mouth slightly parted. A small drop of blood landed on her lips, and she did not move to wipe it away. The hand that held the gun was also bloodied, much like the barrel of the gun itself.

The former business man’s body laid crumpled on the ground, his head bent down to his chest, his palms facing upwards, and his eyes wide and empty. He looked like a discarded puppet.

He was, unquestionably, dead.

Jessie turned her eyes slowly to Giovanni, who was still smiling. His smiled had dropped to hide his teeth though, and he looked down on Jessie as a father does when he has given his child a present.

“You’re welcome,” Giovanni said, as he raised his walkie-talkie to his mouth. “Unit 23, please come to the highest room for pickup.”

There was no response, only static.

“Unit 23?” Giovanni repeated into the walkie-talkies. The leader of Team Rocket frowned, and pressed a different button on the device.

“Unit 24, report. What is going on out there?”

Static echoed out of the walkie-talkie, and a frightened voice reported back.

“Sir! Sir, it has come! Oh Arceus, it is here!”

“WHAT IS HERE?” Giovanni demanded, his voice rising.

“IT!” the man replied. “OH ARCEUS NO!” And then there was an awful explosion, and the sound suddenly died. Giovanni looked at the device, concerned, then turned his head slowly to the window. He frowned, unclip a ball from his belt, and let loose his Rhyhorn.

“Walk with me,” Giovanni commanded. The boss of Team Rocket moved slowly to where a window used to be, but now instead was the outside air. He looked outside, poking his head just an inch out. He saw more of his helicopters in the sky, heading towards something behind the Silph Co. Building. Something Giovanni could not see.

There were no more government planes or helicopters. Something else flew through the sky.

And then it was there. It seem to appear out of no where.

Zapdos, the legendary Pokemon, flew straight towards Giovanni. The Pokémon shrieked, and from the tips of his wings came an electrical attack that was meant for Giovanni.

But the attack was pulled away, and struck the Rhyhorn instead. The Pokémon’s ability pulled all electrical attacks in the immediate area to itself, where little damage was done.

Giovanni raised his arm to his head, blocking the light of the intense attack from his eyes. He took a cautious step backwards, and the attack soon stopped. Giovanni ground his teeth together as he lowered his arm from his face.

Zapdos floated in the sky not but a few feet from the Giovanni. Helicopters floated above, and began to descend, readying their attack. But the legendary Pokémon did not seem concerned with them at the moment. His eyes were locked on Giovanni.

“You were a fool to come,” Giovanni snapped.

“Yes, I was. I did not intend to originally, but someone changed my mind.”

“Who?” Giovanni demanded, clenching his free hand into a fist.

Zapdos seemed to smile at the question, and Giovanni wonder if the Pokémon wasn’t going to answer it. But the Pokémon did answer his question. It just wasn’t what Giovanni was expecting.

“You know him well. It was your brother.”

“What!” Giovanni exclaimed, angry. “Impossible! My brother is dead! I watched him die! I laughed as he drew his last breath! MY BROTHER IS DEAD!”

Zapdos seemed amused by Giovanni’s outburst.

“For a man who has done so much, you really know so little.”

“I know more than you would like to think,” Giovanni said, grinning now. “I have read the Ancient Prophecies of both Kanto and Hoenn. And both have declared the victory of evil.”

“Just because one can read does not mean one can understand.”

“What is there to not understand?” Giovanni snapped back. “The Ancient Prophecy of Kanto declared I would win. The Ancient Prophecy of Hoenn said the only one who can save Hoenn is the second. And the second is dead.”

“You are a very foolish man who knows very little.”

“And you’re just a vengeful child who is doomed to fail the region its species is bound to protect!” Giovanni cried, his eyes gleaming. “Don’t…don’t fly there and tell me my brother is still alive! That is a lie and you know it!”

Zapdos seemed neither upset nor enraged by Giovanni’s comment. He merely seemed amused.

“I do believe I am doomed to die,” Zapdos said. “But I do not believe I am doomed to fail.”

“Foolish bird,” Giovanni hissed. “They are one in the same!”

Zapdos shook his head, and began to respond. But before he could, an electrical shock came out of nowhere, and struck the bird.

Zapdos shrieked, both in surprise and in pain, then twisted his head around in the direction of the shock. Flapping his wings heavily, he took off towards the helicopter that had attacked him.

Giovanni snarled as he spun around from the window. Jessie was watching him anxiously.

“What now?”

“We wait,” Giovanni said. “We wait, and we hope our forces can over power the bird.”

“And if they can’t?” Jessie asked in a tiny voice.

“Then we call for reinforcements.”

------------------------------------------

William reached the door to the President’s office. His hand wrapped around the doorknob, and he twisted it with one sharp motion. He put the door aside, and strode in angrily.

Giovanni, the boss of Team Rocket, was standing looking out of the window. His hands were at his sides, one holding a walkie-talkie. His eyes darted to William when he entered the door, and he took in a sharp breath at the sight of the son of the third.

Jessie stood by Mr. Silph’s desk, her eyes fixating on William the instant he entered the room. In her hand she held the black hand gun. Her hair was dyed the bloody red, and she had over applied her makeup again. Splashes of blood stained her from head to foot.

She raised her arm to a perfect parallel to the ground and pointed the gun at William.

“Don’t move,” she said, her voice breaking and trembling as she spoke. “Don’t move, and don’t let a single one of your Pokémon out of their balls. I will shoot and kill you, William Oak.”

William raised his hands in the air slowly, his eyes wide, yelling at himself for not having a plan before he came running into the room.

“Where is Mr. Silph?” William asked, trying to distract Jessie. She jerked her head to the corner, and William’s eyes slowly moved to the direction.

Mr. Silph lay five feet away from William – dead.

William's eyes returned to Jessie, careful and deliberate. Tears were forming in the corner of her eyes, and her entire body trembled. She didn’t want to shoot him – for whatever reason, she didn’t want to shoot him.

William slowly turned his head away from Jessie, and looked to Giovanni. He was smiling at William.

“What did you want here?” William demanded. Giovanni’s lips merely broke apart to reveal his perfect white teeth.

“Shoot him now,” Giovanni said to Jessie. William spun his head back to Jessie, who seemed to be holding the gun harder. She gritted her teeth, and…

She pulled the trigger.

The bang blasted in the room, and William gasped as a pain ran through his body. A finger was sent flying off his left hand, as the speed and power of the bullet Jessie shot carried it away. The finger thumped to the floor, still twitching from the surprise impact of the bullet. William clutched his hand, as the blood pumped out and poured onto the floor. He felt dizzy as he lost blood, and he tried to remember something his mother had once told him…

Pressure…I have to apply pressure to the wound…

“DAMNIT RHYHORN, FINISH HIM OFF!” Giovanni screamed.

William didn’t realize he was on his knees until he raised his head and saw the Rhyhorn charging across the room to him at eye-level. There were three great flashes of red light, and Brabantio, Virgilia, and Fleance were suddenly standing in front of William. Vines wrapped around the charging Rhyhorn, and the Pokémon was thrown through one of the great windows of the office, and went crashing to the ground.

“NO! DAMNIT, NO!”

William could hardly think straight – his head felt like he was in a swarm of bees. His eyes wandered around the room, and they somehow meant Jessie’s eyes. They were wide, and filled with concern. It was then that William realized she hadn’t meant to shoot him – she had been aiming to miss. How William knew that, he wasn't sure. He only knew it was true.

“Arbok – go!” Jessie screeched, seeming entirely unsure of herself.

“NIDOQUEEN, PERSIAN, GO!” Giovanni roared as well.

William’s Venasaur square off against the Persian, William’s Nidoking leapt at the Nidoqueen, and William’s Blastoise faced Jessie’s Arbok.

Brabantio twisted his massive body as if he was dancing, and from the giant flower on his back a torrent of sharp-pointed leaves soared to the Persian. The cat-like Pokémon clawed them away, and landed on the Venasaur’s back, where it dug deep slashes into William’s Pokémon’s skin.

Fleance collided with the Nidoqueen, and the two Pokémon fell to the ground, wrestling with one another, struggling to get on top.

And Virgilia blasted water from the guns pointing out of her shell. The Arbok moved its head from side to side, avoiding the canon blasts, hissing and spitting poison all while avoiding the attacks.

William clutched his hand while sweat broke out on his forehead. He groaned and tried to concentrate. But his mind was dizzy, and it faded in and out. William knew this was no longer just a Pokémon fight.

This was a battle he may not win.

-----------------------------------------

Tybalt whipped his neck around and unclenched his claws. He breathed a current of fire, incinerating a Weezing that was on the verge of exploding. The Charizard then turned around, and slashed his claws at an Arbok that was about to launch itself onto the fire-type Pokémon.

The battle on the floor below the President’s room was not going well.

Chris kneeled on the ground on one knee, his knife covered in blood, and his shirt stained in it. Three dead Nidorino lay at his feet, and his Jolteon, Edward, stood at his side. The injured Eevee evolution shot Pin Missiles at targets, but due to fatigue the attacks rarely struck.

Desdemona fluttered in the air; her psychic attacks doing more damage than anything else. Pokémon and Rockets alike were sent to the floor, rolling in pain as they clutched their heads. Their eyes rolled around in their sockets, and their screams pierced even the most oblivious eardrum.

Eros, William’s Jolteon, was quick on his feet, jumping through the air, avoiding attacks, and shooting electrical attacks that shocked opponents.

But Eros’s electrical attacks were nowhere near as powerful as the attacks Surge’s Raichu unleashed. He brought down Pokémon with a single electrical blow. His thunderbolt tail stay pointed straight up in the air, erect during the whole battle. He fought off enemy after enemy. His cheeks never stopped pulsing with power.

His trainer though, was not faring as well.

An Arbok had wrapped itself around Surge. His legs were clenched together, unable to move, and the snake-like Pokémon was now crushing the former gym leader’s chest. Surge was on the ground, held captive there by the Arbok. He found breathing difficult, but he fought on all the same. Both hands were in the Arbok’s mouth, keeping the jaws and poisonous fangs from closing down on him. The Arbok’s eyes were wide with rage and the thrill of battle.

Surge’s eyes held no such thrill.

Genuine fear lay apparent in his eyes. He felt he was fighting a losing battle. He felt he wasn’t going to win. He had beaten a Nidoqueen before. But now he would lose to a snake.

No!

Surge’s legs flexed and then jolted outward, breaking free of the snake’s grip. He tried to frantically escape the snake, removing his hands from its mouth. But, even the war veteran wasn’t quick enough. The jaw closed down on Surge’s bicep, and poison leaked through the fangs and into Surge’s blood.

But it was only for a quick second. Surge tore the Arbok off his arm, and, with his blood dripping from his belt, Surge threw it into a wall. The Arbok crumpled to the ground, and did not move again; its skull had been cracked.

But before Surge could even get a chance to breathe, a Rocket was upon him, wielding a knife that was identical to his. The Rocket slashed the knife down towards Surge, who quickly parried it away with his own knife. The two danced back and forth, flashing the gray steel through the air. At first, Surge was clearly the better fighter of the two. But, Surge began to slow as the poison coursed through his body…

Meanwhile, Raichu flipped backwards, using his tail as a means of avoiding an attack. A Nidorino slammed into the ground where Raichu had been a single second earlier. The Nidorino raised his head and found himself being shocked by a Thunderbolt. Raichu grinned, and turned back around, expecting to see Surge give him the thumbs up sign.

Instead he saw the knife of the Rocket slash Surge’s throat wide open.
-Edited by Kyatenaru
[+] A Few Thoughts
Let Surge be a warning.

Until this chapter, you could very well make the argument that this run is not as dark and scary as it seems to be. Yes, there are horrible villains who commit horrible crimes, but till this chapter, who have I killed off? I killed off Bill - so? Readers didn't like him. He was a jerk. I killed of Erika - a few people were kind of relieved since she was a sort of bitch. I killed off James...who was bratty and had killed William's starter. I guess, until this chapter, the only character who was a pure good guy was Mr. Fuji, who was introduced one chapter and died the next. Big whoop.

Of course, Percy and Juliet died. But those deaths were outside my control as a plot weaver. The in-game run dictated those deaths.

What I'm saying is, it would be acceptable to feel cheated of a dark plot up till this chapter. But now, the true darkness has begun.

So, again, let Surge be a warning.

He is dead. Sorry, but he is dead.

I didn't have to kill him. But I did. The plot of the game does not kill him. But MY plot does. I am an unusually cruel person to my characters. Surge was always one of my favorite gym leaders, simply because Raichu is my favorite Pokemon. I think one of the reasons I put off writing this is because I didn't want to kill Surge off. But I killed him off. I had to; the events played out to his death.

He will not be the last.
New chapter will hopefully be soonish. The reason for the past delay was part procrastination, and part busy with getting all my graduation stuff together :=/:

As always, thank you to everyone who follows - you guys are my blood when it comes to this :smile:

LordQ
Hoenn League Champion
Hoenn League Champion

May 24th, 2011, 4:54 am #404

Lol, your thoughts on the chapter sound hilariously bloodthirsty. Things should get interesting from here. But damn, I hope your pokemon survive. Would hate to see any single one of them die.
>> Check out my "new" run, The Ruler! <<

Banner coming soon!
[+] Spoiler
My random writings | Technologist (wt)

tho_freakin_mas

May 24th, 2011, 11:56 pm #405

Noooo!!! Not Mr. Silph and Surge!!!!
Oh and just thought I'd point out that Surge 'could' still be alive. Although probably not for long :( but you never actually confirmed he was dead and the fact that you were trying to make a point of the fact he's dead makes me think he might not be.

Retskcaj
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym

May 25th, 2011, 1:18 am #406

[+] Spoiler
Heh, I've been waiting on Silph to die for a few chapters now, so that one didn't really surprise me. Surge's death did surprise me however, so props on that one. He seemed a bit sanctimonious when talking to Chris about using up the last of his ammo. If he really hated that guy so much, frying him with Raichu would have made perfect sense, and then he'd have been able to waste at least some of those Rockets.

Oh well, pobody's nerfect and Surge is just as susceptible to moments of passion as anyone else. The writing was good, I was able to follow the flow of battle well and William's having a pretty accurate representation of going into shock. I imagine he'd probably be screaming some, but everybody handles situations like that differently so him standing there staring at his hand doesn't seem odd either.

tl;dr good chapter, well-written, glad to see you back in the saddle again!

Destroyanator

May 25th, 2011, 1:23 am #407

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SURGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: WHY?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!??!??!?!!? (also Mr. Silph :ugh: )
This chapter is a tragedy. holy crap. i wonder who's next.
However, it also provides us with some interesting information:
[+] Spoiler
The most revealing part of this chapter was Zapdos's conversatio with Giovanni. i'm becoming more and more convinced that Giovanni is, in fact, Jimmy, and his conversation with Zapdos does nothing but back up that theory.
I agree with LordQ. i hope none of your pokemon die. that would be tragic. Also, strange as this may sound, i hope Jessie makes it out okay.

NathanS
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym

May 25th, 2011, 2:44 am #408

[+] Spoiler
In regards to Mr. Silph, called it. Yes I'm that petty. And don't get so down on yourself about being cruel. You only killed Surge. You could have done far, far worse then that. and perhaps you will, guess there's only one to find out.
The World of The War

Up to Chapter Three, Part Five
Fight at The Gym

Epsi
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym

May 25th, 2011, 3:12 am #409

oh.
Hello. Let's play some music.

lisalo
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym

June 1st, 2011, 9:00 pm #410

Well, i believe Sabrina is on the side of good... and thinks Oak isn't (is he really?). After all, he did burn Bill's body. The vivid memories are there to shield him.

WereleopardLeiri

June 4th, 2011, 12:56 pm #411

... ... holy cow. what a chapter.
beautifully played out, it really flowed, but... you have taken a whole new level of darkness to the pokemon franchise. I pretty much had my hand on my mouth the whole time. dammit, i was worried, and i'm not normally that easily moved. well done. well done indeed.
main DA - The-ShadowMaster, but my joint behemoth of a pokemon fanfic is at Trainers of Legends if anyone's interested, for whatever reason. The nuzlocke actually does tie into that, in some small way. Same 'verse, some of the same characters etc.

revamped run of yellow - Weapons

Yellow Nuzlocke run: It's a Double-Sided Life (Latest Chapter 32. On that sort of hiatus that means I don't feel bad about not updating for ages, but actually do update sometimes because I have deadlines for uni that I am currently avoiding). Actually dead now, because revamp! yay...

Morgana Card

June 6th, 2011, 1:09 pm #412

...Wow.
I just spent the better part of two days reading and catching up on this story. You had me pretty much hooked.
I find the way that the bodies are mutilated similar to the movie (didn't get to read the book yet) Angels and Demons. And I say that in a good way :D
And you are a very gifted writer. You really know how to make people empathize with your characters. It's very impressive!
As for the recent chapter...
[+] Spoiler
I am becoming more and more under the impression that Giovanni isn't working with Jimmy, but that they are in fact the same person. :ohdear:
Sad about Surge though.
Keep up the good work! I will probably have to do some fanart for this in the near future.
Ongoing Run(s): LeafGreen (4 deaths, going to Cinnabar.)
Paused Run(s): None.
Failed Run(s): Emerald (5 deaths, failed at Norman.), FireRed (failed. 7 deaths.), LeafGreen (failed at 8th gym giovanni)

TrainerBOB

June 9th, 2011, 12:58 am #413

Ugh. I've been lazy. Okay, I'm going to talk about my update schedule in a moment. But for now replies and then a very short update!
[+] Replies
LordQ wrote:Lol, your thoughts on the chapter sound hilariously bloodthirsty. Things should get interesting from here. But damn, I hope your pokemon survive. Would hate to see any single one of them die
Lol, thx Q. While I love my characters, for some reasons bad things tend to happen to them.
tho_freakin_mas wrote:Noooo!!! Not Mr. Silph and Surge!!!!
Oh and just thought I'd point out that Surge 'could' still be alive. Although probably not for long :( but you never actually confirmed he was dead and the fact that you were trying to make a point of the fact he's dead makes me think he might not be.
Surge is...
[+] Spoiler
dead. Deaddeadeadeadeadeadeadea.
But yeah, tbh, of all the human deaths in this run, both past and future, his is one of the hardest to write about. Really like him as a character. :=/:
Retskcaj wrote:Heh, I've been waiting on Silph to die for a few chapters now, so that one didn't really surprise me. Surge's death did surprise me however, so props on that one. He seemed a bit sanctimonious when talking to Chris about using up the last of his ammo. If he really hated that guy so much, frying him with Raichu would have made perfect sense, and then he'd have been able to waste at least some of those Rockets.

Oh well, pobody's nerfect and Surge is just as susceptible to moments of passion as anyone else. The writing was good, I was able to follow the flow of battle well and William's having a pretty accurate representation of going into shock. I imagine he'd probably be screaming some, but everybody handles situations like that differently so him standing there staring at his hand doesn't seem odd either.

tl;dr good chapter, well-written, glad to see you back in the saddle again!
Thanks Retskcaj! :smile:
[+] Spoiler
Sadly, I think everyone saw Mr. Silph's death coming. I didn't do much to hide it, but I figured Surge's death would counter it out.
Destroyanator wrote:NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SURGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: WHY?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!??!??!?!!? (also Mr. Silph :ugh: )
This chapter is a tragedy. holy crap. i wonder who's next.
However, it also provides us with some interesting information:
[+] Spoiler
The most revealing part of this chapter was Zapdos's conversatio with Giovanni. i'm becoming more and more convinced that Giovanni is, in fact, Jimmy, and his conversation with Zapdos does nothing but back up that theory.
I agree with LordQ. i hope none of your pokemon die. that would be tragic. Also, strange as this may sound, i hope Jessie makes it out okay.
Sorry Destroyanantor! :ugh: I have the same feelings about Surge. Sadly though, Mr. Silph largely seems to be in Surge's shadow.
I do want to say something about the part with Zapdos. I'm worried I wasn't clear enough on this, but the prophecy that Zapdos and Giovanni were talking of is COMPLETELY separate from the prophecy Percy gave William at the Pokemon Tower. More on this prophecy later.
NathanS wrote:
[+] Spoiler
In regards to Mr. Silph, called it. Yes I'm that petty. And don't get so down on yourself about being cruel. You only killed Surge. You could have done far, far worse then that. and perhaps you will, guess there's only one to find out.
Don't worry NathanS! I do far worse, haha. And yeah, you do see it coming a long time ago, if I remember correctly. Several others did as well, but you may of been the first.
Epsilon wrote: ...
oh.
Glad it took you by surprise; sorry it wasn't a happy surprise though. :=/:
lisalo wrote:Well, i believe Sabrina is on the side of good... and thinks Oak isn't (is he really?). After all, he did burn Bill's body. The vivid memories are there to shield him.
The side Sabrina is truly on will be revealed soon!
[+] Spoiler
And you won't see it coming.
[+] Spoiler
hopefully.
WereleopardLeiri wrote:... ... holy cow. what a chapter.
beautifully played out, it really flowed, but... you have taken a whole new level of darkness to the pokemon franchise. I pretty much had my hand on my mouth the whole time. dammit, i was worried, and i'm not normally that easily moved. well done. well done indeed.
Thank you so much WereleopardLeiri! That's very nice of you to say :smile:
Aporia wrote:...Wow.
I just spent the better part of two days reading and catching up on this story. You had me pretty much hooked.
I find the way that the bodies are mutilated similar to the movie (didn't get to read the book yet) Angels and Demons. And I say that in a good way :D
And you are a very gifted writer. You really know how to make people empathize with your characters. It's very impressive!
As for the recent chapter...
[+] Spoiler
I am becoming more and more under the impression that Giovanni isn't working with Jimmy, but that they are in fact the same person. :ohdear:
Sad about Surge though.
Keep up the good work! I will probably have to do some fanart for this in the near future.
Thanks so much Aporia! I'm glad you've enjoyed it, and I'm amazed you took the time to read it all! Hopefully, I'll keep you hooked!
As far as your speculations, you will see! someday, lol.
:biggrin:

Okay then, update. This is the update I have been waiting for. For a very, very, very long time.
Chapter Sixty-Nine
[+] Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Sixty-Nine: Friend or Foe?

The old man ran.

His chest heaved inward and outward with stress that he had not put on his body in decades. His white beard sagged left and right, and tiny drops of sweat appeared on his bald head. Yet he still ran.

He ran through the streets of Saffron City. He ran past buildings taller than an ignorant man could imagine. He ran over perfectly paved concrete. He ran through the mightiest city in Kanto. And it was falling to Team Rocket.

The black helicopters swarmed in the sky, their blades spinning as they floated in the air. Magnetons blasted electrical attacks that shattered windows and set buildings on fire. And though one could not hear it, the Rockets could be seen laughing behind the windows of their transportation.

Zapdos, the legendary bird-Pokémon, was outnumbered. Though many helicopters had exploded, their remains tumbling to the ground, Zapdos would not be able to fend off Team Rocket forever.

And that was why the old man was running. To get help. Help from the only other being whose power could match Zapdos.

He was running to the Saffron Gym. He was running to Sabrina.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surge was gone.

Raichu watched in horror as his trainer fell forward to the ground, his knees buckling down and then giving away under the dead weight. His eyes, once vibrant with determination and fight, were now empty of all signs of life. They did not close. There was not enough energy in Surge’s body to close his eyes before he died.

Surge landed on the steel floor face-down. Despite his death, blood still pumped furiously out of the wound on his neck, creating a small puddle around him.

Racihu’s face was void of emotion. His eyes did not tear up. His face was empty, as though he too had died.

And then, in less then a single second, he leapt through the air, landing on the neck of the Rocket that had ended his trainer’s life. Hissing with fury and rage, he sent an electrical spark down the neck of the Rocket. The Rocket screamed as the electricity moved down his spine. Raichu snarled, and the electrical pouches on his cheeks sparkled with energy. He sent another attack into the body, and this time the Rocket fell to the ground, dead.

Raichu leapt off the body before it hit the floor, and as he fell to the ground, time seemed to slow down, allowing Raichu to take in everything around him. Surge had once told him that in the heat of battle, something like that would happen to him. With the adrenaline pumping through his brain, he could see everything in a split second.

Tybalt, William’s Charizard, fought furiously with three different Arboks. His claws were coated in blood, and smoke puffed out of his nostrils in random, fanatic bursts.

Desdemona, William’s Butterfree, unleashed her psychic powers on her foes. She brought down Koffing and Wheezing, preventing them from exploding and ending the battle. At the moment, a Psybeam was being blasted from her eyes, and it was on a course to strike down an opposing Wheezing.

Eros, William’s Joleton, was squaring off with a Persian. The cat-like Pokémon hissed and slashed with its sharp, bloody claws. But Jolteon was faring well against his foe - he moved his body from side to side, avoiding the attacks.

Chris and his Jolteon had dragged themselves off to a corner. Edward was too weak to battle on, and Chris was carefully applying pressure to a bleeding wound.

Raichu turned his head to the ground before him, where he was to land. Not three feet in front of his calculated landing spot were five Arboks. Their eyes were filled with greed and excitement as they watched Raichu slowly tumble forward.

The smart, tactful thing for Raichu to do would be to land on his tail. Then, turning it into a spring, Raichu would launch himself backwards, and launch electrical attacks from afar. To do anything else would be a suicide mission.

Raichu landed on his tail, and then sprung forward. He jumped into the five Arboks, his cheeks almost exploding with electricity and power. He jumped into the five Arboks, his eyes glazed with rage. He jumped into the five Arboks, knowing exactly what he was doing.

It was a suicide mission.

------------------------------

“Listen to me!” Giovanni screamed into a walkie-talkie. “I need backup in the skies – Zapdos is bringing down my helicopters left and right, dammit!”

The pain was still there in William’s hand. But he was slowly blocking it out. He stood up, biting down on his lip. The pain didn’t matter. He had lost a finger – but that was nothing. If he didn’t act now, he would lose his life.

Fleance, William’s Nidoking was wrestling on the ground with Giovanni’s Nidoqueen. Brabantio, the Venasaur, screeched in pain as the Persian dug its claws into his back. And Virgilia could not strike the Arbok with his water-attacks. The snake Pokémon was too quick, and it was slowly advancing onto the Blastoise…

“Fleance,” William said, his voice weak, “use your tail! Brabantio, flip over, and Virgilia, body slam!”

Fleance, wrapped his tail around and hit Nidoqueen over the head with it. The Pokémon was temporarily dazed, giving Fleance his chance. He poured all his weight into the next movement, forcing Nidoqueen beneath him. He raised his fist in the air, and punched Giovanni’s Pokémon directly in the face.

Brabantio leapt in the air, and then fell back onto his back, literally squashing the Persian beneath his weight. The cat-Pokémon let out one desperate shriek before dying.

The Venusaur struggled back to his feet, flipping back over. The flower on Brabantio’s back was covered in blood, a mix of his own and the Persian’s. But, he fell to his belly. Flipping over had damaged him as well, and William had no choice but to recall his Pokémon back to his Pokéball.

Virgilia jumped high in the air, and then came crashing down on the ground. Arbok slithered out of the way at the last second, barely avoiding the attack. The Blastoise landed on the ground with a heavy thud! Virgilia struggled to move from the position, but she had made an indent in the ground, and was now stuck. Arbok smiled as it slithered forward and-

“Water Gun!” William commanded out of desperation. His eyes flashed between Fleance, who was still wrestling with Nidoqueen, and Virgilia.

Jessie stood behind her Arbok. She had not uttered a single battle cry or command yet. She stayed still, watching the battle unfold before her with wide, unflinching eyes.

Virgilia aimed, and fired. This time, the blast of water hit the Arbok straight on, and the snake was sent into the wall behind it.

But, Virgilia had two cannons. Not one.

The other blast of water struck Jessie. She too went blasting backwards into the wall, where she fell to the ground. She leaned against the wall, breathing heavily, her body weak from the impact.

William looked at her in surprise. A puddle of red had surrounded her, and for a second it seemed to be blood.

But the red puddle was not blood. The red dye had washed out of her hair, revealing her true hair color to be a pretty blond. Her wet, stringy hair was draped down in front of her eyes.

Jessie slowly raised her eyes up to look at William. As she did so, a trembling hand brushed the hair out of her eyes.

William did not move. He did not breath. He did not think.

All the pieces fell to place in his mind, and suddenly, everything made perfect sense. Because William was no longer looking at Jessie of Team Rocket.

He was looking at Val.
-Edited by Kyatenaru

[+] A Few Thoughts
WARNING. If you have not read the chapter yet, then do not read this.
[+] Spoiler
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Destroyanator gets full credit for discovering it way back when the whole Silph Co. thing first started. I'm hoping a few of you missed his post and didn't figure it out yet and are now surprised. But, either way, I am largely proud of this.

Here is my story of Val.

Val was introduced in Chapter Seven. At the time, she was not this. She was just a character with a singular purpose: introduce Brock and Chris's accidental kill of Brock's Pokemon. That was it. That was all. But after I wrote the chapter, I realized I liked Val. I wanted more of Val. I wanted her to stay.
Upon reading back over the chapter before writing chapter 8, I recognized something. I read this particular line: "Her hair was blonde, with red strands through it."
And her entire story blossomed before my mind in a second. She was Jessie, working for Team Rocket, in disguise. She was also the daughter of Mr. Silph. She was also the love interest. Val quickly became a major character, and I wrote her into CHapter 8, and made plans to leave a carefully disguised trail of clues.

Being both Jessie and the daughter of Mr. Silph was a nice cover-up, imo. I figured someone might figure one out, but I did not think they would figure both out. It was, as one might say, leading on a false trail. So, though I was found out just chapters before my glory, I am still very proud of the development with Val and Jessie.
I have been waiting to write and update this chapter for 60 chapters now. To me, this was a game. The goal, is not to get found out. This time, I was found out. Next time, I won't be.

This was my personal favorite plot twist of the run. There are quite a few more big ones, so don't worry. But this was probably my favorite. I learned a lot from this plot twist. Most importantly, I learned about leaving false trails.

I have something big in plan for my next run. After I finish this run, (more on when that will actually be happening in a second), I will start the sequel. And I gave a new favorite plot twist in that run. Once more, it will be like a game. And this time, I will not lose. :wink:
Now. Update Schedule. High School and Graduation is done. Orientation for College next year is done. All I got left to do this summer is work and this. And a few other things. But not much.
I will update again on Friday. After that, I will update once every friday, AT LEAST. If I get angry and don't, you hereby have permission to send me hate mail. Yes, PLEASE SEND ME HATE MAIL IF I GET LAZY. You can do it annon through my tumblr if you like: http://www.tumblr.com/tumblelog/newspaperreporter

That's all for now. See you all on Friday.

tho_freakin_mas

June 9th, 2011, 2:15 am #414

[+] Spoiler
Awesome chapter, I had figured out the twist as soon as James died but I had just started reading it so credit went to others.

Glad to see that the update schedule will be more regular as well. Looking forward to more.
Oh and it's 61 or 62 chapters in the making depending on where you start counting from.

Retskcaj

June 10th, 2011, 2:05 am #415

[+] Review
Plot bombs, plot bombs everywhere!

I'm glad a lot of the big secrets and surprises are coming out in the open, it'll be nice to see how Val and Will adjust to this new event. And of course it's mass chaos everywhere, Raichu's part is touching. I'll have to go back and reread a lot of this story, I've been reading so many other things that I've started losing track of which story run is which and who's on first.

A shorty, but a goody, and again it's good to see you back in the saddle and congrats on graduating HS. College is a totally different beast. :scallop:

TrainerBOB

June 10th, 2011, 3:17 pm #416

tho_freakin_mas wrote:
[+] Spoiler
Awesome chapter, I had figured out the twist as soon as James died but I had just started reading it so credit went to others.

Glad to see that the update schedule will be more regular as well. Looking forward to more.
Oh and it's 61 or 62 chapters in the making depending on where you start counting from.
Oh, well, its good to know you got it early. I'll have to be even more careful in the future :wink:
And you're expecting me to be correct in my math? :laughing: I don't do math, lol.
Retskcaj wrote:
[+] Review
Plot bombs, plot bombs everywhere!

I'm glad a lot of the big secrets and surprises are coming out in the open, it'll be nice to see how Val and Will adjust to this new event. And of course it's mass chaos everywhere, Raichu's part is touching. I'll have to go back and reread a lot of this story, I've been reading so many other things that I've started losing track of which story run is which and who's on first.

A shorty, but a goody, and again it's good to see you back in the saddle and congrats on graduating HS. College is a totally different beast. :scallop:
Thanks Retskcaj! And this time, I really am back in the saddle this time. Weekly updates at the very least!

The Frog

June 10th, 2011, 9:55 pm #417

[+] Thoughts
I saw the Val thing coming as well. I realised that Jessie and James were the Silph siblings shortly after James died, although I don't remember when I realised the Jessie = Val thing. Possibly from reading Destroyinator's post. IDK.

What I am more interested in now is whether the 'old man' wants Sabrina's help for the Rockets or against them. He's in for a nasty surprise if it's the latter (I think Daisy's mindlink machine is hooked up between Sab and her Alakazam, and said 'zam is loyal to Jimmy/Giovanni). I'm also calling now that it's Mr. Psychic. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be Sabrina's father, either.

Also, please put Copycat in there somewhere. She's too good a character to waste!

Current Run:
Yellow
(Chapter Thirteen, put up Mar 17 2011)(Yes, it hasn't been updated in over a year. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.)
[+] Spoiler
Failed Run:
Blind White: The Abridged Series (Reached Episode 8)

TrainerBOB

June 11th, 2011, 12:56 am #418

@The Frog: No comments on the plot speculations for now, but as always thanks for commenting! :)

And I just wanted to let everyone know that the chapter is done right now. Really. It's long too. Sadly though, my computer currently does not access to the Internet (typing this on my crappy phone), so the update won't be up for a day or two :(

Sorry, this must seem redundant...

Destroyanator

June 12th, 2011, 5:07 pm #419

wrote:Once more, it will be like a game. And this time, I will not lose.
That, my friend, sounds like a challenge. :coolshades:

In other news, the part with Raichu almost brought me to tears. it's so tragic :crying:

TrainerBOB

June 13th, 2011, 12:09 am #420

Destroyanator wrote:
wrote:Once more, it will be like a game. And this time, I will not lose.
That, my friend, sounds like a challenge. :coolshades:

In other news, the part with Raichu almost brought me to tears. it's so tragic :crying:
Oh, it is a challenge. This time though, I will win. :evil: It won't be a broken game - you will have the opportunity to figure it out. But this time, I don't think you will. [/evil laughter]

And speaking of Raichu, I got my internet back, so I was able to zip the update to my editor. New chapter later tonight...