Forum rules
You can't post new threads here.
If you have a run that's finished, please post it in Written Story Runs first. Then PM a
, and they'll move the thread for you!

Feel free to post in the runs that are already here, though!
TrainerBOB
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

January 30th, 2011, 2:41 pm #41

Chapter Fifteen
[+] Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen: You again?

William jumped outside with Desdemona, Fleance, and Percy all right behind him. He fell to the ground, letting the sun temporarily blind him, relieved by their escape. He prayed that the swarm of Zubats would not follow them outside.

“GET UP AND MAKE NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS!” A female voice roared out of a megaphone.

William looked up from the ground, spots still dancing in front of his eyes from the bright sun.

Three officer Jennys surrounded him, all of them had their Growlithes out who were snarling at him. They all wore the same style of hair that was dyed a dark, deep, rich blue color. They also each wore blue police officer outfits, and shorts that were just a bit too short…

“I SAID GET UP!”

She was far to close to be using the megaphone, and the noise hurt his ear. Fleance, nearby, rolled around on the ground in pain at the noise. William quickly returned Fleance and Desdemona to their ball, only to suddenly be attacked with fire.

“AH!” William screamed. He beat his arm against the ground to put out the sleeve that had caught on fire.

“I WARNED YOU – NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS!” The Officer Jenny with the megaphone said. “NOW – PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR!”

William stood up with his hands high, eyeing the three Growlithes with fear and suspicion. Percy mimicked his pose, though his two red cheeks sparkled with electricity.

“Look – I’m not with Team Rocket,”

“YEAH! WHY SHOULD WE BELIEVE YOU?”

“Arceus, can you give it a rest?” William snapped. “We’re like three feet from each other, I can hear you just fine!

Officer Jenny, looking a little surprised, lowered her megaphone.

“Fine then,” she said without the megaphone. “But explain yourself!”

“First, you got to go back in there and get his dead body-”

“WHOSE DEAD BODY?”

“Will you chill with the megaphone!?! I don’t know his name, it’s some kid about my age I think. He was trying to get out of there with the fossil Team Rocket was looking for.”

“And how do you know Team Rocket was looking for the fossil?” Officer Jenny asked, rising her eyebrow.

“Because two goons dressed in Rocket uniform tried to steal it from me afterwards. Look – you got to go back and get his body now, before it’s ravaged by wild Pokemon or something!”

Officer Jenny nodded to the two other officers, and they ran inside the cave.

“Look out,” William called in after them. “There’s a wild swarm of Zubats flying around!”

The one remaining Officer Jenny with the megaphone walked over to William slowly, and picked up his backpack.

“Is the fossil still with the boy?” She asked him.

“No – its in there.”

“I don’t have a warrant right now,” Officer Jenny said. “Do you give me permission to look inside your bag?”

“Yeah, sure.” William said, willing to do anything to prove his innocence.

Officer Jenny unzipped the back up and then turned it upside down, dumping all of its supplies.

“Hey, what are you doing?”

“Looking for a Rocket outfit!” She snapped, scavenging through the stuff. Instead, she picked up the large stone that was the fossil, and stared at it in wonder.

“Is this it?” She asked him.

“YEAH!” William screamed, annoyed.

“Wow – you were telling the truth.”

William felt extremely annoyed, but he figured it was better not to yell at the woman who could easily arrest him and throw him in jail.

The other two officer Jennys came out, carrying the dead body together. The Officer with the megaphone nodded at William.

“He’s clean ladies. You can put your hands down sir. If you will please come with us to the station, I would like your help filling out a report.”

William knew it was a request, but he also knew it was one he shouldn’t refuse. So, he and Percy followed them.

-------------------------------------

“Again William, I’m sorry for the way you were treated outside of Mt. Moon,” Officer Jenny said, smiling kindly at William. He merely nodded his head – he knew how she could go between extremes fast.

They were sitting in the interrogated room in the Cerulean City Police Station, except William wasn’t being interrogated so much as he was being interviewed. The walls were painted black, and they sat across a brown table from each other in black chairs.

“Now, did anything else happen in that cave?”

“I ran into another rocket earlier on,” William said. “We fought, but then the swarm of Zubats interrupted us. He was killed by their leader – a Golbat.

“I see.” Officer Jenny said, taking down a few notes. “Can you remember where his body was?”

“The Rockets had made a path to lead trainers into a trap. It was also leading them in the wrong direction. He’s somewhere along that path.”

“Okay then – anything else.”

“No – that is all.”

“Thank you William,” Officer Jenny said, smiling once again. The smile was not returned. “We need to keep the fossil until it’s been examined – is that okay?”

William paused for a second, and then asked.

“Does he have any family?”

“Who?”

“The guy that died.”

“Just a mother,” Officer Jenny said. “She’s here with us right now.”

“Give the fossil to her when you’re done with it. Her son died for it.”

Officer Jenny nodded slowly.

“That’s very kind of you William,” she said, examining him closely. “You can go now if you like.”

“Thank you,” William said, and with that he got up and left the room.

Leaving the interrogation room, William entered the station’s main lobby. Phones were ringing at every few seconds, and people were desperately trying to answer them all. Secretaries ran around the room, with Officer Jennys barking orders.

William walked quickly, trying to get out of there as quickly as possible. But he was interrupted by a voice.

“Excuse me,” a weak, and tired voice said. William turned, and he found himself facing a small woman, who was much older than he was – mid forties. She wore a pink skirt that went down to her ankles and a pink blouse. Her eyes were red – she had been crying.

“Are you…” she asked in a hushed voice. “Are you the young man that found my son’s body?”

Oh…crap, William thought. He lowered his eyes, and he nodded his head.

“Yes ma’am, that was me. I’m sorry I couldn’t do anything for him…”

“No, no, please don’t apologize,” the woman said in a weak voice. William raised his head in surprise. “I…I wanted to thank you for finding his dead body. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t….I wouldn’t have a body to bury.”

She started sobbing, and she collapsed into a chair next to her. William bent down and rubbed her hand, not sure what to say.

The woman, still crying, pulled out a pokeball from her purse. She unleashed the Pokemon from inside, and out into the station came a Bulbusaur. The Pokemon was a green toad with a plant on his back. He looked up excitedly, only to be surprised by finding a crying woman.

“This…this…this was a present I got for my son,” the woman sobbed. “But now, now he’s…dead! Please…I can’t care for it…please take it and train it. Take it to see the world with you. That’s what all Pokemon want. That’s what my son wanted.”

William wasn’t sure what to say.

“Ma’am…I can’t take this. This Pokemon is too rare and valuable to be given away just as a gift,” she spun around to him, her eyes angry.

“Listen to what I am saying!” She snapped. “I need help! Help me – take this Pokemon and help me!” She continued to sob uncontrollably. William looked down to the Bulbusaur. He was looking up at William with large hopeful eyes, a pleading look on his face.

“…Very well. If you insist.” She smiled, and nodded her head. And waved for him to go. William bent down, and picked up the Bulbusaur, and started to leave. Then, though, he stopped, and turned around.

“I told Officer Jenny to give you the fossil when they were finished examining it,” he said. She turned to him, and said in a hush voice.

“But…that was what killed him! I can’t have that in my house-”

“Your son was a brave man ma’am, and he died fighting for an honorable cause. Keep the stone – let it always remind him of his bravery.” And with that, William wasn’t sure what else to say. He turned and left, Percy on his shoulder, and Bulbusaur in his hands.

Outside, William put Bulbusaur on the ground, and examined him. The Pokemon was running around in circled, thrilled to be going on an adventure, no matter how dangerous.

“Welcome to the team…” Williams said slowly. “Barbantio.” Bulbusaur danced through the air, thrilled at the new nickname. William bent down, and poked the pokemon with a Pokeball, capturing it. The Pokemon did not resist capture.

“Look at this Percy,” William said, holding up the ball in the light. “We’ve got a full team.”

"PIKA!" Percy exclaimed, excited. He was jumping up and down in the air.

"Let's get everyone healed Percy," William said. "Then, we got a battle to win."
-----------------------

“Come on, she has to be here,” William protested. “She’s a freaking gym leader! It’s her job to be here!”

The woman in the orange bikini shook her head. She had a full head of red hair that she was still drying. Water brushing against stone could be heard from inside. The woman, who looked to be about William’s age, was standing in the doorway.

William was standing outside the Cerulean City gym, wanting to challenge Misty for the badge. He had healed all of his Pokemon at the Pokecenter, and then he came straight here. His Pikachu wanted William to rest for a day, but he refused to.

He wanted to battle.

“Sorry kid, Misty’s not here right now. Come back in a few days.”

“I’m not waiting a few days!” William snapped.

“Well, if you’re really that impatient, go up to Bill’s house on Route 25. She’s there right now.”

Without another word, the girl closed the door, leaving William there, stunned and angry.

He turned, and march off through the city – heading North.

Towards Route 25.

------------------------

The Cerulean City bridge had been constructed fifty years ago. Until then, trainers had to swim across the water to get to Routes 24 and 25. The Cerulean City Bay was filled with wild Tentacools though, which made swimming dangerous.

The bridge was painted a blue color, after the city’s gym type. It had long metal poles that rose up into the sky, which William admired. What he did not admire, was the jackass that was leaning on the first set of those rising poles.

“Hello William,” Chris said, his arms crossed over his chest, smiling smugly. William had reach the bridge of the outskirts of Cerulean City, and now he found his rival. The one who had killed Brock’s Sandshrew. William felt himself go hot.

“Chris,” William said simply, trying but failing to keep the rage out of his eyes.

“Why so serious William?” Chris asked, and then he laughed. “You look like you’re ready for a battle – what do you say?”
Annnnd Chapter 15 is up.
[+] Team's Status
Pikachu (Percy)
Butterfree (Desdemona)
Nidorino (Fleance)
Zubat (Mercutio)
Spearow (Juliet)
Bulbusaur (Barbantio)

monsoon
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym

January 30th, 2011, 5:22 pm #42

I read the whole thing in one go! This is great! I like your writing style and characterization. Keep at it!
[+] Spoiler
serious props to LTC for the magnificent banner!

monsoon

January 30th, 2011, 5:25 pm #43

and I also like the SHAKHAKHAKespearean names!
[+] Spoiler

TrainerBOB

January 30th, 2011, 7:58 pm #44

monsoon wrote:I read the whole thing in one go! This is great! I like your writing style and characterization. Keep at it!
Thank you :)

I'm feeling like Chapter 16 might be up tonight.

Maybe. :ohdear:

monsoon

January 30th, 2011, 8:41 pm #45

monsoon wrote:and I also like the SHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKespearean names!
um... I think my keyboard has a speech impediment.
[+] Spoiler

TrainerBOB

January 30th, 2011, 8:44 pm #46

monsoon wrote:
monsoon wrote:and I also like the SHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKHAKespearean names!
um... I think my keyboard has a speech impediment.
Nah, it's not you. There are certain words that are automatically translated to something else.

Examples:

God -> Arceus.

Shake -> SHAKHAKHAKe.

Go to page 2 and read QKNC's comment. She explained how to work around it.

TrainerBOB

January 30th, 2011, 9:45 pm #47

Chapter Sixteen
[+] Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen: Re-rematch

“Your move first, Willy.” Chris said, smiling a smug grin on his face.

The two trainers stood in front of the bridge, facing each other. Chris, wearing his blue shirt that was tucked into his smooth, stylish black pants, was smiling at William. Chris’s clothes were neat, clean, and almost glowed.

William’s white t-shirt was dirty. A few blood splotches showed here and there. His jeans had grass stains on them, and his red jacket had a large gaping hole in it from where Scyther had sliced through him. His face was serious and solemn.

“Ready Percy?” William asked his Pikachu.

Percy didn’t reply – he didn’t have to. He leapt off of the shoulder of William and landed on the ground. His red cheeks sparkled with electricity. Percy was ready to fight.

“Hmph, somehow I’m not surprise. Go – Spearow!” Chris unclipped a ball from his belt, and sent it soaring through the air. It unleashed the Spearow William had battled early before. The Pokemon with red wings flew through the air, circling Percy like a vulture before it killed.

“Pika!” Percy let out a battle cry, his electrical cheeks humming with energy, like a generator.

“Use thundershock Percy!”

“Dodge it Spearow, and then close in for a Peck attack,” Chris ordered.

Spearow came flying down as the electric shock was unleashed from Percy’s cheeks. The flying Pokemon drifted to the left, letting the lightning soar past it.

“Pika!” Percy exclaimed, surprised. Then, Spearow collided with Percy, driving his beak into Percy’s shoulder.

“PERCY!” William screamed in panic. The attack was no normal attack; it was critical. It had struck right in the right spot.

The Spearow raised high in the air, bright red blood dripping from his beak. He flew back down to rest on Chris’s shoulder, and squawked satisfied. Chris watched Percy, a cruel smile growing on his lips.

Percy had fallen to the ground, and was now struggling to get back up. His body trembled with pain.

“Percy!” William ran forward and helped him up. He picked Percy up, and cradled him in his arms.

“Piikaaa,” Percy moaned. A deep wound was in his left shoulder blade, and he was bleeding massively down his side.

“PERCY! Are you okay?”

“Piii,” Percy moaned softly.

“Well, well William. Looks like you chose the wrong Pokemon,” Chris said, laughing cruelly.

“PIKACHU!” Percy suddenly screamed, and jumped out of William’s arms, and he ran back onto the battlefield. Blood streamed down his shoulder, and he stood on all fours. His entire body sparkled with electricity, and his eyes were red with rage.

“Percy! Get back here! You’re too weak too fight!” Percy ignored his trainer’s command though instead he taunted the Spearow.

“PIKA! PIKA-PIKA! CHU, CHU, PIKAAA!” The Spearow squawked angrily back, and took flight once more.

“Finish the mouse off with peck attack,” Chris ordered, with a flip of his blonde hair.

Spearow took a dive, but was stopped by a thundershock from Percy. The bird Pokemon fell to the ground, steam rolling off of its body.

“PIKA!” Percy charged forward, using a quick attack, but Chris recalled Spearow before Percy could reach him.

“PIKACHU!” Percy roared angry.

Chris took a step back, slightly alarmed by the Pokemon’s rage.

“Percy!” William said, he ran over, and picked Percy up. The Pikachu struggled with his trainer at first, but then relaxed finally.

“You need to rest!” William ordered, applying a potion to Percy’s wound. The bleeding stopped, and the wound closed slightly, but not all the way.

“Whose next for you, William?” Chris asked,

William considered walking away right then and there. Chris was fighting to kill. This was a battle not worth having.

“Pikaaa,” Percy growled, as if he could read William’s thoughts. The growl seemed to say – ‘don’t even think about it.’

“Go – Fleance!”

William sent forth his Nidorino, who roared his might roar upon landing on the battle field.

“Huh, looks like that mole of yours finally evolved. Very well – go Sandshrew!”

Chris unclipped a ball from his belt, and he sent it spinning in the air, unleashing the mole Pokemon onto the field. The Pokemon landed, free from its Pokeball, on two legs.

“You’re one to talk about moles Chris,” William taunted.

“Ha, so funny William. We’ll see whose laughing when your Fleance is dead. Now go – Sandshrew, use scratch attack!” Sandshrew dropped to all fours, and sprinted towards Fleance.

“Double-kick!” William ordered.

Fleance waited until Sandshrew was just a few feet away and then…

He back-flipped in the air, and let loose two kicks that sent the Pokemon flying back. The Sandshrew hit Chris, who caught it and angrily through it back into battle.

“TRY AGAIN!” Chris ordered, enraged.

Another round of double kicks sent the Pokemon to its knees, where it did not get back up.

“Return Sandshrew,” Chris snapped, angry. “All right then, go…Rattata!”

The purple rat was unleashed onto the field. It hissed through its two large buck teeth. Its tail twitched in the air, and it seemed ready to fight.

“Tackle attack!” Chris ordered.

“Fleance, used double kick!” The Nirdorino performed an encore performance, his nails drawing blood from the stomach of Rattata as he kicked it.

“Return,” Chris snapped again. He held up his last ball.

“Sorry William, but this is where I win,” Chris threw the ball in the air, and cried out, “GO, EDWARD!”
The Eevee landed on the ground. His eyes were sharp, his fur was sparkling in the sunlight, and his legs were strong.

“Ready Fleance?”

“RINO!” Fleance roared in response.

“All right then, go, use double-kick!”

“Dodge with quick attack, and then attack!” Chris ordered in response.

Fleance sprinted forward as Edward did at the same time. At the last second though, Edward increased speed, and ran around Fleance. He hit him behind him, knocking him onto the ground.

“Excellent work Edward!”

“Fleance, try Double-Kick again!”

Fleance struggled as he stood up, but then his body tensed and he was ready for action.

The Nidorino then turned around and sprinted towards the Eevee.

“Same strategy Edward!” Edward sprinted forward, but then again at the last second increased speed and ran around Fleance…

“NOW JUMP!” William ordered.

Fleance jumped in the air just as Edward came from behind for a quick attack. He landed on top of the Eevee, who squealed and moaned in pain.

“Now, horn attack!”

“Edward, shake him off!”

But the Eevee was stuck – he could not get rid of Fleance. Fleance started repeatedly stabbing Eevee with his horn, until-

“Enough Fleance – now stop!” Fleance got off of Edward, and slowly backed away, not risking to turn is back to his opponent.

But Edward did not rise back up. Chris unclipped the ball from his belt, and returned his Pokemon to it.

Then, he raised his eyes angry to William.

“You must think you’re so high and mighty, don’t you?” He snapped.

“I did just beat you for the third time in a row Chris,” William replied simply as he recalled Fleance to his own ball. “Perhaps, if you spent more time training then running ahead of me, then you would be better off.”

“That’s not what I meant!” Chris snapped, angry. William raised his eyebrows, and waited for Chris to explain. “Who the hell are you to not kill my Pokemon? Huh? What makes you so damn special that you spare them?”

“Do you want me to fight like you Chris? Do you want me to not fight honorably?”

“YES!” Chris exploded, enraged. William shook his head sadly.

Chris lowered his face, and took in several deep breaths, before calming himself down.

When he raised his face back up again, all traces of anger and rage were gone.

“So what are you doing down here anyway – going to take on the Nugget Bridge Challenge?”

“No – I’m going down to see Bill. Misty is supposed to be there.”

“You were told that too huh?” Chris asked. He chuckled. “I was told the same thing. All I got when I went down there was a nerd who asked a bunch of questions.”

William raised his eyebrows.

“So you’re telling me Misty is not there?”

“No, but you should still go,” Chris said. “Who knows, you might learn something.” He then laughed, like someone would at a joke that only he knew.

William only raised his eyebrows.

“Fine then. I’ll go.”

“While you’re going, you should take the Nugget Bridge Challenge,” Chris said. “You could use the extra-practice.”

“What is the challenge?” William asked, getting annoyed.

“I don’t know,” Chris said smugly. “I didn’t need the extra practice.” With that, smirking, he walked off, leaving William alone.

William sighed, and he bent down and unzipped his backpack. He took out a few potions, and used them on Percy, who signed with relief each time William sprayed a bit of the healing spray on the Pokemon.

Finally, with Percy’s wound completely healed, William picked him up, and carried him forward.

“Come on buddy,” he said. “Let’s find Bill.”
[+] Team at the end of Chapter 16
Pikachu (Percy)
Butterfree (Desdemona)
Nidorino (Fleance)
Zubat (Mercutio)
Spearow (Juliet)
Bulbusaur (Barbantio)
Chapter 17 will be posted sometime between right now and tomorrow night.

It's name will be this: "The Sun Sets."

Hope you guys are ready for something bigish. Anyone come close to deciphering the meaning behind the name of Chapter 11? I will explain it after my next update.

In the mean time...

thoughts? guesses? predictions? worries? criticism? everything else in between?

EDIT: New signature, what do y'all think?

Velvet
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym

January 31st, 2011, 5:56 am #48

...I hope I'm wrong, but....
[+] My guess:
"The Sun" was the chapter where you caught Juliet, who Romeo describes as "The Sun" in one of his more famous lines: "But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the East, and Juliet is the sun! Arise fair sun and kill the envious moon." Especially apt, as you caught her shortly before entering Mt. Moon.

So the sun setting would probably mean... :ohdear: I suppose, given the fate of her namesake, that it shouldn't be surprising, but all the same... I don't think anyone looks forward to something like this. :ugh:
Still Waters -- A Fire Red Nuzlocke Story Run

TrainerBOB

February 1st, 2011, 3:34 am #49

Sorry this took me so long. I feel like the quality has been slipping the past couple of chapters, so I worked really hard to make this one better. Please let me know if it is an improvement.

Chapter Seventeen
[+] Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen: The Sun Sets

The kid couldn’t be older than thirteen. He wore a safari hat, a white under shirt, a pair of short shirts, and dingy sandals. Over his shoulder, he carried a net that had to be more valuable than any article of clothing the kid was wearing. He claimed to be a Bug Catcher.

“So, what do you say?” The kid asked him, chewing his gum obnoxiously. “Want to take on the Nugget Bridge Challenge?”

Five trainers – five battles: the Nugget Bridge Challenge.

“What do I get if I win?” William asked as he crossed his arms over his chest and raised his eyebrows. William’s red jacket was unbuttoned, revealing his dirt and blood stained white t-shirt beneath. His knees had goose-bumps on them from the sharp breeze that went through the holes in his jeans, and he felt for sure he had sand in his right sneaker at that moment.

The two trainers were standing on the bridge, about ten feet apart, the blue concrete beneath them, and beneath that the clear water of Cerulean Bay.

“A Nugget, of course!” The Bug Catcher said, smacking his gum loudly as he talked. “Where do you think they get the name?”

William bit his lower lip. Nuggets were valuable – he could sell it and get an awful lot of potions for his Pokemon. William’s current supply was dwindling low, and he didn’t want to ask his mom for any money. She struggled to make ends meet as it was.

“That’s it? No entry fee? No catches? Why would someone just give away Nuggets?” William asked. He had been raised to be careful whenever something seemed too good to be true.

“Come on dude,” the Bug Catcher whined. “You ask too many questions. Live a little. If you beat all five of us, you get a Nugget. Which ever one of us stops you, gets a Nugget. It’s simple!”

William frowned. That was not a reassuring answer.

“Well Percy, what do you think?”

Percy, who was perched on William’s shoulder, smiled as his electrical cheeks sparkled.

“Pikaaa,” he said eagerly. As always, he was ready for a fight.

“Alright then,” William said. “Against better judgment, I’m in.”

The Bug Catcher laughed, as he grabbed a ball out of his neck.

“Looks like I’m going to be buying myself a new net tonight!”

William raised a single eyebrow, and examined the boy’s beaten clothes again.

Sure it won’t be a decent pair of pants?

“Let’s show ‘em what we’re made of ,” the Bug Catcher said, throwing the Pokeball in the air. “GO CATERPIE!”

The green-bug Pokemon came spinning out of the ball. It landed on the ground, and let out a battle cry.

To say the least, William was not impressed.

He reached to his belt, and unclipped one of his own Pokeballs.

“Let’s go – Juliet!”

The bird-Pokemon came flying out of the ball, soaring through the air.

“Now Juliet, strike Caterpie down with a Peck attack!” The Spearow let its beak gleam in the light, and then she turned and dove down for the ground.

“Use String Shot!” The Bug Catcher said, pumping a fist into the air.

Caterpie raised its head to the sky and shot out silk at the fast approaching Spearow. Juliet wove her way around the entrapping silk, and then side-swiped the bug Pokemon with her beak. The Pokemon fell over, squirming and moaning in pain.

“Caterpie, return!” The Bug Catcher said, his face red with embarrassment. The Caterpie disappeared back into its ball, and then the Bug Catcher retrieved another ball from his net.

“Weedle, I choose you!” The Bug Catcher said, tossing the ball out to the battle field. A brown bug Pokemon, with a segmented body and a sharp needle on top of its head, came crawling out of the Pokeball.

“Be careful Juliet,” William said, “it has a poisonous point!”

“Row, row!” The Spearow cried back in return.

“Get ready to inject that filthy bird with your poison Weedle!” The Bug Catcher said, his face still red with rage and embarrassment.

Juliet flew through the air, spinning around, performing cartwheels and other miraculous acts of flight.

Weedle watched the bird Pokemon carefully with its eyes, waiting for it to descend...

And…

Juliet flew into the light of the sun, and Weedle was temporary blinded by the glaring light when it followed Juliet’s path through the sky.

“Now Juliet!”

Juliet dove towards the ground, her beak shinning like a true spear in the light.

“Weedle, get ready! Here it comes!” The Bug Catcher said in a rushed voice. But the Weedle was still recovering from the sunlight. It tried to point his needle at the approaching bird Pokemon, but it was facing the wrong direction…

“WEEDLE!”

Too late.

Juliet collided with Weedle, sending the bug Pokemon flying backwards into the arms of its trainer. He caught it, and he stumbled backwards onto the ground.

“Get off of me!” The Bug Catcher screamed out, squirming on the ground, like a squashed bug.

Juliet landed on William’s right shoulder, and squawked happily. Percy reached across from William’s left shoulder, and the two Pokemon exchanged a high-five.

“Pika!” Percy said, congratulating Juliet.

“One down guys,” William said. “Four to go.”

--------------------------------------------------------

Jade turned the keys, and she opened the door to the front door to her house. Walking into the simple kitchen, Jade set the bag of bread and fruit on top of the kitchen table and she let out a harsh sigh.

Her kitchen had yellow wallpaper, and a brown cabinet that contained silverware. A old TV set sat on top of the cabinet, and there was a desk in the corner of the kitchen that had a computer and a phone on it.

Jade missed having William around for many reasons. She missed his smile; she missed his eyes; she missed everything about her son.

But she also missed how he would use to go to the Grocery Store for her to get food. The mile walk back to her house really killed Jade Shake

She stretched, cracking her back as she did so. Jade was a graceful, tall, beautiful woman. She always wore the color blue – it was her favorite color.

Jade walked over to the desk. The computer was green – a model that was about four years out of date. In the corner of the desktop was a red blinking flashing light, indicating she had a chat message. She turned the ancient computer on and loaded up the message.

“Hi Mom, it’s me,” William’s face appeared on the screen, the bustling scene of the Pokemon center appearing behind him. He had a few treated scratches on his face that made Jade’s heart leap in her chest, but nothing looked too serious.

“Guess you’re not home right now…I just wanted to let you know that I just got to Cerulean City. I’ll call you later, bye.”

The message ended, and the screen went blank. Jade let out a sigh of relief – her son had made it through Mt. Moon, one of the more dangerous wild areas in Kanto. The fact that Team Rocket had been spotted nearby had certainly not made things safer.

She was about to get up to put away the groceries when the phone rang. She jumped at the noise, and then she turned and answered it.

“Hello, this is Jade Shake, how may I help you?”

“Hello Jade,” a pip-squeaked voice said through the other line. “This is Bill.”

“Good-bye Bill,” Jade said, already returning the phone to its receiver.

“Wait, wait, wait!” He exclaimed, “I have some information that you may find interesting!” Jade sighed as she put the phone back to her ear.

“Look, just because I’m Professor Oak’s neighbor doesn’t mean I know anything,” Jade said forcefully. “He’s a good friend, but he rarely talks about his past. I can’t help you.”

“We know your son is a son of the three Jade,” Bill said, trying his best to sound angry. “You failed to mention that in the last four times I’ve called.”

“What would make you think that?” Jade snapped. “William’s father was a no good, low life. I was a little slut when I was a young girl and got knocked up, and he didn’t have the guts to stick around.”

The lie burned on her tongue, but she said it anyway. She would say anything to keep William safe.

“Now please,” Jade said, exasperated, “Don’t call me again.”

But before she could hang the phone up, Bill said something that made her freeze.

“Someone is looking for you Jade,” Bill said, his pip-squeaked voice carrying an ominous tone. “I think its him.” And then, in a soft whisper, Bill said his name.

“Jimmy.”

Jade felt her heart hammer in his chest, but she managed to say in a clear voice,

“I am sick of hearing your conspiracy theories about Professor Oak. He is a good man, and has done many great things. I think your just jealous Bill, jealous that you aren’t as famous as he is.”

But Bill went on, ignoring the accusation.

“It’s not a conspiracy theory! There are news articles about a man named Jimmy Oak, son of Professor Samuel Oak, who went on to do horrible and evil things! Everyone says he died, but no one ever found a body, did they?” Bill was speaking rapidly. “And now, he’s looking for you Jade. I don’t have proof it is him, but whoever it is they are smart enough and have the technology to cover their tracks.”

Jade was shivering.

“Come on Jade, help us, and we’ll track this guy down,” Bill said. “If you don’t, he’ll eventually find you, and then he’ll do whatever it is he wants with you.”

Jade was silent for a long time, until she finally whispered softly:

“Give it up Bill…he’ll eventually realize you’re looking for him. And then he’ll kill you.”

Bill, sensing victory was near, said in a rushed voice,

“Come on Jade, tell us what you know.”

“I don’t know where he is now,” Jade said, feeling sweat roll down her neck. “But I do know that he is still alive.”

“Come on, you must know more than that,” Bill said, keeping his voice steady.

“I do. But I can’t tell you. I promised someone I wouldn’t.” Bill exploded on the other line, victory had been so close for him and then she had snatched it away.

“FINE! Your son is coming to see me right now. Perhaps when he gets here, I’ll ask him a few questions.”

“NO!” Jade screamed. But it was too late. Bill had hung up

Jade stood there, starring at the phone in her hands in horror.

“No…” she whispered. “Oh…no…”

--------------------------------------------

“I’m number 4, and there is no way you’re getting past me!” The girl in the mini-skirt said, her voice a little too cheery.

She was also wearing a blue blouse, and had a pink bow in her hair. She was smiling, and giving the peace sign.

William raised his eyebrows, and shook his head.

“Lets just get this over with,” he said in a disgusted voice.

William was still taking the Nugget Bridge Challenge. He had swept through the previous trainers, none of his Pokemon had taken a single hit, and this was shaping up to be the easiest challenge of his life.

Standing about ten yards apart, the two trainers faced off.

“Go…Pidgy!” The girl said, giving an over dramatic twirl. She tossed a ball in the air, and the brown and white bird Pokemon came flying out, beating its wing against the air.

“Percy,” William said simply. The Pikachu jumped down from William’s shoulder, and readied himself for a battle.

Only, it wasn’t much of a battle.

“Thundershock,” William ordered. The bird Pokemon was sent flying down from the sky, and landed on the ground with a thump

“Hey,” the girl complained. “That’s like…totally not fair!”

She returned to the Pidgy to her ball, and conceded the match grumpily.

“That wasn’t really nice of you,” she said, approaching William.

“Sorry,” he responded. “But I fight to win.”

Percy returned to his spot on William’s shoulder, climbing up his leg.

“Yeah, well, whatever,” the girl said. She then resumed her cheery mood. “Well you like, totally come back and let me know what the extra prize is?”

“The extra prize?” William asked, surprised.

“Yeah, didn’t you hear? There’s a surprise prize that goes along with the Nugget prize. Anyway, totally come back and let me know what it is.”

William nodded his head, but he didn’t promise anything. He walked away, soon leaving the girl out of sight.

Something about this challenge was bugging him. It seemed…strange. Too generous. What was the point? What was the purpose? Why outside the city?

Whatever it was, William was sure he would reach the bottom of it soon.

Walking down the long, blue bridge, William eventually reached another trainer.

He was tall and lanky, and he was dressed in all brown. He wore a cap on his head, and it was tilted the wrong way, purposely. He wore a smug smile on his face.

Crap, William thought, a cocky rich kid,

“Name’s Tim,” the rich kid said, “So, what’s up punk? Ready for a battle?”

“Always,” William said.

Tim was leaning against a pole. He twirled a single ball in his hand, and threw it up and down, catching it and playing with it.

“Will are we going to start or what?” William asked him, raising an angry eyebrow. Tim only smiled, and then said in an arrogant tone.

“Sure, if you’re that eager to lose. Go, MANKEY!”

A crazed monkey covered in white fur jumped out of the Pokeball. He jumped about on the bridge, screeching angrily.

“Pika!” Percy said, his cheeks sparkling with electricity with the desire to battle.

“Nah Percy, let’s go for the easy win,” William said. He unclipped a ball from his belt, and threw it into the air. “Go – Juliet!” The bird Pokemon flew out of the ball, and circled around in the air.

Tim smiled, his face still smug.

“Get ready Mankey.” He said.

“Go Juliet-” William cried out. “Use Peck attack!” Juliet flew up high in the sky, and then came plummeting down, aiming straight for Mankey.

“Get ready for a scratch attack!” Tim ordered. Mankey planted his feet firmly on the ground, and raised his head up to the sky, tracking the movements of the descending Spearow.

At the last second, Mankey thrust his right arm out, and caught the descending Spearow, stopping her in mid attack.

“Juliet, break free!” William said. But Juliet couldn’t.

Her whole body was twitching.

“…Juliet?” William asked, his voice breaking.

“Show him Mankey,” Tim said, smiling smugly.

Slowly, Mankey moved his arm to face straight up at the sky, and revealing the damage he had done to Juliet. His entire right fist had plunged into Juliet’s chest, his claws had acted like a dagger to her heart. She was now bleeding heavily from the deep wound; blood dripped down and landed on Mankey’s white fur, and the Pokemon licked it with his lips.

“JULIET!” William screamed.

“PIKA-PIKA!” Percy cried out in desperation.

“Throw it.” Tim ordered. Mankey tossed the bird Pokemon aside, over the bridge and into the water below.

“NO!” William screamed. He ran over to the edge of the bridge, and looked over the ledge.

Juliet’s body was bobbing up and down in the water, her blank eyes starring up at the empty sky. William shrugged off his jacket and backpack, and was about to jump in when his Pikachu shrieked in panic.

“PIKA-CHU!” Percy was pointing his tiny arm down at the water, and tears where forming at the corners of his eyes.

A gray tentacle had slithered up from the water, and was wrapping itself around Juliet’s body. It caressed the body, running over the warm blood. Then, in one quick sudden movement, the gray tentacle pulled Juliet’s body under the waves to a watery grave.

William looked down at the water, feeling a hole form in his heat and tears rolling down his cheeks. He was too late.

Juliet, the Spearow, was dead.
[+] Team Status
Current Team:
Pikachu (Percy)
Nidorino (Fleance)
Butterfree (Desdemona)
Bulbasaur (Barbantio)
Zubat (Mercutio)

Boxed:
Rattata (Henry)

Dead:
Spearow (Juliet)
[+] A Few Thoughts
Velvet wrote:
"The Sun" was the chapter where you caught Juliet, who Romeo describes as "The Sun" in one of his more famous lines: "But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the East, and Juliet is the sun! Arise fair sun and kill the envious moon." Especially apt, as you caught her shortly before entering Mt. Moon.

So the sun setting would probably mean... I suppose, given the fate of her namesake, that it shouldn't be surprising, but all the same... I don't think anyone looks forward to something like this.
Velvet was 100% spot on. She explained it better than I would have.

Juliet dying was depressing. It was my first death in this run. The blow was a critical hit, aren't they all?
So, what did you guys think?

Predictions, questions, comments, criticism? All will be loved like new born children.

QKNC
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym

February 1st, 2011, 4:54 am #50

I liked this chapter. Good build-up all the way through the bridge, and I think it transitioned well to Jade + Bill, then back again. A nice, smooth, logical transition. I like your battle scenes as well. Can't say I can think of anything specific to improve on, sorry :<

Also, Jade's last name is doing funny things :v: Might wanna run a comb over the typos and woidfalters.

TrainerBOB

February 1st, 2011, 5:09 am #51

QKNC wrote:I liked this chapter. Good build-up all the way through the bridge, and I think it transitioned well to Jade + Bill, then back again. A nice, smooth, logical transition. I like your battle scenes as well. Can't say I can think of anything specific to improve on, sorry :<

Also, Jade's last name is doing funny things :v: Might wanna run a comb over the typos and woidfalters.
Thanks QKNC! :roll:

I remember thinking that Jade's last name was going to come out strange if I didn't fix it and then I...forgot. Oops lol. So thanks for pointing it out to me. :smile:

Also, I realized I had forgotten to post the team status at the end of my last post so I added that in as well.

Epsi
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym

February 1st, 2011, 5:41 am #52

nice - can't wait to see what happens when Will get's to Bill's house...

I'm sorry about Juliet, though...
Hello. Let's play some music.

Velvet

February 1st, 2011, 6:03 am #53

*sigh* I was really hoping I'd gotten it wrong. :ugh: How brutal... Poor Juliet.

Um... On a side note, I noticed that when Tim first shows up, you introduce him with the line:
wrote:He wore a smug on his face.
I'm guessing you meant a a smug smile, though I momentarily got the image of him being all trollfaced or a Snivy Smugleaf mask... :sweatdrop: Also, when talking about the challenge while facing the girl, he calls her voice a 'little two cheery', and says it might be the 'easies challenge' he's ever taken... Hope it doesn't seem like I'm nitpicking.

TrainerBOB

February 1st, 2011, 11:47 am #54

Thanks Velvet - sorry about the grammar and spelling mistakes guys. It is what I get for speed-proofing :sweatdrop:. Don't worry about pointing those things out to me, if you see them please do. :smile:
Velvet wrote: *sigh* I was really hoping I'd gotten it wrong. How brutal... Poor Juliet.
It's those critical hits, you'll find they cause the majority of deaths in runs :(

TrainerBOB

February 2nd, 2011, 3:15 am #55

Chapter Eighteen
[+] Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen: Revenge

Joshua. That was his name. Joshua.

The mother of the boy who had died in Mount Moon fighting for the fossil was sitting at her kitchen table, tears still streaming down her cheeks.

She kept repeating his name to herself over and over again. She had a horrible fear that she would forget it some day, when she was old and feeble-minded.

In her hands, the mother cradled the fossil that was incased in rock. She rocked it back and forth, like it was her child.

Like it was Joshua. That was his name. Joshua.

“Josh…” she said, in the softest whisper. “He always hated being called Joshua. He much preferred just Josh.”

And that’s when, suddenly and unexpectedly, the brown door to her house came flying off its hinges.

The mother screamed in panic, and stood up, hugging the fossil to her chest.

Two men walked into her house. One dressed in all black, another in all white. One with a shaved head and a hat, another with a bowl cut haircut that was blue. One that looked older, and another that look younger.

But both of them had the red ‘R’ of Team Rocket stamped on their chests.

“Hello ma’am,” the younger one with the blue hair said. “We’re going to be needing that fossil.”

She stared at them. First, her expression was shock. But then it quickly changed to fear. These were men who were part of the region-wide criminal organization that killed those who stood in there way. And then, her expression turned to anger. These were men who were part of the region-wide criminal organization that in part caused her son’s death.

“You’re not getting it,” she said fiercely. She knew she had no hope. She lived in the northern corner of Cerulean City, where no one else would hear her screams. But she knew she had to fight.

For Joshua. That was his name. Joshua.

The young man with the bizarre hair raised his eyebrows. He snapped his fingers, and the older Rocket behind him cracked a whip, and slashed her across the face with it.

She gasped in pain, but she did not relinquish the fossil. She instead hugged it all the closer to her chest.

“You’re not getting it!” She repeated, angry. She backed up as she said it, and the man in the white clothes only raised his eyebrows.

“Meowth, take care of her,” he said, as he unleashed a ball in the air. The cat-Pokemon jumped straight out of his Pokeball to on top of the mother, knocking her on the back. He clawed the fossil out from her hands and he threw it back to the man with the blue hair. She screamed and resisted the best she could, but she wasn’t strong enough to stop anything.

“Silence!” The man in the blue snapped. Meowth put his paw on the mother’s neck, his nails just barely pricking her skin.

“I’m sorry,” the man said, “but we have to kill you now.” The mother looked to the other, older Rocket. He had remained silent and submissive the whole time. It was clear who led and who followed, despite the ages. “Any last words lady?”

She turned to look at him, and she said in a hushed voice, with tears still rolling down her cheeks,

“Joshua. That was his name. Joshua.”

The man with the blue hair merely raised his eyebrows once more. Than, he snapped his fingers.

And in one swift motion, the Meowth cut her throat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

“Juliet…” William moaned, looking over the ledge to the murky depths below. He saw ripples appear in the surface below, and he realized he was crying. He looked over to Percy, only to realize he wasn’t the only one crying.

“Come on, are we going to finish this battle or what?” Tim, the rick kid, and the murderer of Juliet said. William turned to face him, and was shocked to see he was smiling.

“What is the matter with you?” William asked, his voice breaking. “Why would you do that…on purpose? And then grin about it?”

Tim threw back his head and laughed. He stood there, with the wind blowing around him, laughing and laughing. His Mankey crossed his arms across his chest, and the exaggerated movements of his chest seemed to indicate the monkey-Pokemon was laughing too.

“Look at what’s stake, do you really expect me to be nice?”

“What’s at stake?!?” William screamed, throwing his arms into the air with anger and rage. “We’re fighting for a freaking Arceus damned nugget!”

“Oh no,” Tim said, his grin widening. “We’re fighting for much more than that. Whoever wins between us, will be offered a position in Team Rocket.”

William was stunned silence for a moment, and then he asked angrily:

“What? You’re fighting for a position with Team Rocket? Are you out of your mind?”

“Of course not,” Tim responded. “I have actually used complete logic to deduce my plan of action. Lets look at it: Team Rocket is going to rule the world. They will punish those who stood in their way. They will punish those who stood by and did nothing. They will help those who did something for them. Team Rocket will give me power I have never had before. Why wouldn’t I join Team Rocket?”

“Because,” William said, blind with rage. The only thing he could see right now was Juliet’s dead body bobbing up and down. “They’re evil. It’s wrong.”

“Oh come on,” Tim said. “You can’t do anything without doing a few things bad. And that’s what I’m going to do. So come on. Send out the rest of your Pokemon. I’ll kill them one by one. All I have is this Mankey, and that is all I’m going to need.”

William felt his fists clench and his jaw tighten.

“Percy…” he said, looking to his Pikachu who was experiencing similar emotions. “Finish this.”

Percy jumped down from the ledge of the bridge and ran up to the Mankey.

“Low-kick!” Tim ordered.

“Dodge and thundershock!”

Percy jumped to avoid the sweeping brown foot of the Mankey, and then unleashed a wicked thundershock attack.

Mankey stumbled backwards, his body pulsing with electricity.

“He’s been paralyzed!” William said. “Take advantage, and use quick attack!” Percy sprinted across the bridge in one quick moment and collided into the Mankey.

“Now – thundershock!”

Percy screamed as he unleashed a thundershock attack. Mankey screamed as well, but in pain.

“AGAIN PERCY!”

“NO,” Tim begged. “PLEASE STOP!”

But Percy didn’t.

“AGAIN!”

Tim tried to return his Mankey, but Percy was blocking the read beam of his Pokeball.

“AGAIN!”

Percy used thundershock one last time, and then jumped off the body of the Mankey and walked away, his tail held high. Mankey’s fur had turned from white to black, and steam rose up from the corpse.

“Come on Percy,” William said coolly, tears from Julia’s death still streaming down his cheeks. “Let’s go.”

Percy and William left Tim there, holding and cradling the dead Mankey in his hands.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Congratulations,” the man said, tossing William the gold little nugget. “You’ve won the Nugget Bridge Challenge.”

William had found the man at the end of the bridge, where the concrete met the grass. The man wore all brown, dressed simply. No doubt, William thought, to blend in. His smile was sincere, but William knew it was false. He knew this man was from Team Rocket.

William held up the gold nugget high in the air, and then he threw it as far as he could into the Cerulean Bay.

“What…?” the man said, surprised and confused.

“Let’s cut to the chase,” William snapped. “I know what you’re really here for. You’re looking for new recruits for Team Rocket.” The man raised his eyebrows in surprise, and before he could say anything William kept talking. “And I’m not interested.”

“Are you sure?” the man asked, smiling darkly. “I’m sure you would be a great recruit.”

William didn’t answer the man’s question. Instead, he unclipped a ball from his belt, and he opened it. The ball was empty.

“A friend of mine died because of this Arceus damned challenge. Now you’re going to suffer for it.”

The Rocket only laughed, and he tore off his brown jacket, revealing the black Team Rocket shirt beneath.

“Perhaps a battle would be good, you could use some convincing.” He then unclipped a ball from his belt and he threw it into the air. Ekans, the snake Pokemon, came slithering out.

“Go…” William said, unclipping a ball from his belt. “Desdemona!”

Butterfree fluttered into the air, humming her soft song.

“All right Ekans,” the Rocket said. “Jump into the air!” Ekans, using her tail as a spring, lifted high into the sky.

William had seen this tactic before, and he knew what was coming.

Or he thought.

“Get ready for a poison sting Des’!” William shouted. Desdemona shifted between right and left in the air, knowing that it wouldn’t be difficult to avoid a simple bite. But the Rocket smiled, and shouted out:

“Wrap attack!”

Ekans’s tale wrapped around Desdemona, and brought the bug Pokemon down to the ground with her. They landed together, with a loud thud on the concrete of the bridge. The tail squeezed her tight, and started to constrict Desdemona’s airway, chocking the Pokemon.

“DESDEMONA!” William screamed. “Break through with confusion!”

But Desdemona could not do anything. The wrap attack was preventing her from making the simplest move, even one with her mind.

“Des!” William screamed. “RETURN!” William raised his ball and sent a red beam at his Pokemon. But the Ekans jerked her out of the beam’s path.

“What…?” William asked, dazed and confused.

“Sorry punk,” the rocket said. “But I’m afraid you’re going to lose another one of your Pokemon.”

William ran forward, ready to fight and struggle with the Ekans himself. But the Rocket ran forward as well, and met William half way. Pulling his fist back, the Rocket punched William in the face. William went falling to the ground, where he tried to get back up but the Rocket kicked his in his back.

“PIKA!” Percy unleashed a thundershock on the man, and he grunted as the electrical shock went through his body. But he did not back down. He picked up William by the scruff of his neck, and then pulled out a knife from his pocket.

“Make another move you rat,” he said, speaking to the Pikachu, “and I’ll cut your trainer’s throat.”

Percy froze where he stood, his eyes wide and scared. The Rocket jerked William around to face the battle between the Ekans and Desdemona. Ekans still had Desdemona in her grip, and Desdemona was wheezing for breath.

“Watch kid,” the Rocket said. “Watch! Watch your Pokemon die!”

“Desdemona!” William screamed. “You’ve got to break free!” Desdemona’s wheezing was only becoming more and more desperate.

The Rocket laughed.

“You know, you do have some heart left in you,” the Rocket said. “But we can beat the compassion out. I saw what you did to the Mankey – I had cameras set up all over this bridge that were live-streaming back to my cell phone. I saw how horribly brutal you and that Pikachu of yours were.” Desdemona’s wheezing was weakening, her life was fading out. “Trust me kid. You got what it takes to become a Rocket member.”

“NEVER!” William screamed. The Rocket only laughed again.

“All right Ekans, I think its dead. Release that bug!”

Ekans complied under the Rocket’s wishes, and Desdemona crumpled to the ground. Percy moaned, and William felt new tears spring to his eyes.

And then Ekans was sent blasting backwards, hitting he ledge of the bridge with a thud.

Desdemona was slowly raising back up, a little bit of life still left in her.

“What? Ekans – end it quick before-”

Too late. Ekans was blasted backwards again by another confusion attack, and this time it did not get back up.

“DAMN!” The man turned his eyes down to William, and he readied his knife to slit William’s throat.

But suddenly, his hand faltered, and he plunged the knife into his own shoulder. Desdemona had turned her confusion onto him. He screamed in pain, and stumbled backwards, releasing William. William, in return, retreated to his side of the bridge, where Percy waited for him. Percy’s electrical cheeks sparkled, and was readying himself to unleash a thundershock…

“WAIT!” William said. “Desdemona, let him go, and return!”

The man was released from the confusion attack, and Desdemona was recalled back to her ball.

“What…the…hell…”

“The battle is over,” William said. “You lost.”

“What are you going to do punk? Kill me like you did that Mankey?”

“No,” William said calmly, struggling to keep his voice calm. “I’m taking you to the police.”

The Rocket shook his head, and started backing up slowly, until he reached the edge of the bridge.

“Oh no…Oh no…I’m not doing that.”

“Where else will you go?” William asked him. “I’m not letting you get away, I’m taking-”

But before William could finish talking, the man turned and dove into the water below. William ran to the ledge, and looked into the bay. Bubbles were coming up were the man dove into, and he did not emerge.

William thought he saw the shadow of a gray tentacle beneath the surface. He turned away from the ledge, shuddering.

The battle had taken place at the edge of the bridge, and the concert met the grass of Route 24.

On the edge of the bridge was a pay phone. William slowly walked over to it, and inserted a quarter. He called the Police Department in Cerulean City, and he reported what had happened in a monotone voice.

He then hung up, and walked over slowly to where Percy on the bridge. The electric Pokemon was crying. William sat down with him, and one by one, William let his entire team out of their Pokeballs.

Desdemona, the Butterfree, who was weak and tired.

Mercutio, the Zubat, who had still not been trained.

Brabantio, the Bulbusaur, who had sad, droopy eyes.

And Fleance, the Nidorino, whose ears were dropped low.

They all gathered around each other, and mourned in silence of Juliet.

William didn’t apologize. He didn’t know how to go about it. But for his team, no apology was needed. They didn’t judge him for letting Juliet get killed. They didn’t judge him for letting and ordering Percy to kill Mankey. They didn’t judge him for almost losing Desdemona. They didn’t judge him at all.

They were his Pokemon. They would follow him to whatever grand victory or bloody end he led them too.

William knew this.

Which made it hurt all the more.
A few thoughts....
[+] WARNING, READ 18 FIRST!

I'm not sure what my thoughts about William killing Mankey are. Was it justified? Originally, I had not planned that, but then it just sort of happened on its own. So, I know there is a reason why I did it. Just not 100% sure what it is yet.

Desdemona did kill the rocket's Ekans, but I saw that more as of out of desperation. That was planned in advanced.

I am curious what the reader thought of William and Percy's killing of Mankey? Let me know.
Thanks to everyone who is reading. I know I haven't really explained the meaning behind the title yet. I've left bits and pieces scattered throughout, and I think a few people might have pieced it together, but I haven't explicitly said it yet in one spot. I didn't reply to Epsilon's post last night because I wanted to save it for now.
Epsilon wrote: nice - can't wait to see what happens when Will get's to Bill's house...
That chapter is where I will pretty much flat out let the reader know what the full meaning behind the title is. Don't worry, not all the plot twists will be revealed - far from it in fact. After the chapter with the visit to Bill's house, the answers will give you new questions.

Thanks again to everyone who has put up with me leading you into the dark. A light is coming soon, I promise.

Psyche
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym

February 2nd, 2011, 4:35 am #56

Ooh, dark.
[+] Spoiler
The jump from killing a Pokemon to sparing a human is kind of interesting, and the last bit with his Pokemon being forever loyal is tricky too. Gives a kind of dark edge.

Also, just wondering, did the Rocket kill himself or did he try to escape only to die by tentacool?
Why don't YOU have a furret yet?
Crystal story run!
(COMPLETE)Yellow cartridge run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

TrainerBOB

February 2nd, 2011, 4:40 am #57

Psyche wrote:Ooh, dark.
[+] Spoiler
The jump from killing a Pokemon to sparing a human is kind of interesting, and the last bit with his Pokemon being forever loyal is tricky too. Gives a kind of dark edge.

Also, just wondering, did the Rocket kill himself or did he try to escape only to die by tentacool?
[+] Spoiler
And he was trying to escape, only to die by tentacool. Though he did prefer that fate to being caught and locked up.

Velvet

February 2nd, 2011, 6:01 am #58

...Wow. :eek:
[+] Spoiler
Killing the Mankey made sense -- it was an immediate, impulsive decision driven by rage, losing Juliet, and his trainer's complete lack of empathy. If Tim had showed any remorse before facing the same sort of loss, perhaps it would have come off worse on William's part... but he didn't. He stood there and laughed, and acted like it was justified...

What I don't quite get is why some spoiled brat who comes from wealth and influence would need to take such a challenge to get into Team Rocket. Why not buy his way into their ranks? Unless he was recently disowned, which would make sense if mister "It's only logical to kill pokemon! :coolface: " went to his parents all "Yeah, I know you wanted me to get into [insert elite school here] and all, but I'mma gonna join a terrorist group instead, 'kay?" and got himself disowned... Or if he was trying to do this without them finding out prematurely because he actually had enough sense to realize they might not take that well.

...I suppose that if Mankey was his only pokemon, they might want him to prove his worth... Or was he taking the challenge with a single pokemon just to further impress them?

I really thought you were going to lose Des there, too... I'm thankful that wasn't the case. But wow, Team Rocket's leader must really work hard to impress upon his followers that being caught must be, like, a fate worse than death or something. Even if he didn't know the karma-guided tentacools were going to nab him, you would think watching Juliet's death would have given him a hint about how stupid (desperate?) that was...

The little detail about throwing the nugget into the water has me a bit worried. Yes, it makes sense since that was basically blood money, but at the same time... didn't he need it for potions and other supplies? Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite him. :ohdear:

Also, was that a Team Galactic cameo at the start, or just someone ahead of the evil fashion curve? And Joshua's mother nooooo! Poor woman could never catch a break... :ugh:

TrainerBOB

February 2nd, 2011, 11:44 pm #59

Those are a lot of good questions Velvet, and I'm going to answer all of them...without revealing too much plot ;D
[+] Reply
Velvet wrote: Killing the Mankey made sense -- it was an immediate, impulsive decision driven by rage, losing Juliet, and his trainer's complete lack of empathy. If Tim had showed any remorse before facing the same sort of loss, perhaps it would have come off worse on William's part... but he didn't. He stood there and laughed, and acted like it was justified...

What I don't quite get is why some spoiled brat who comes from wealth and influence would need to take such a challenge to get into Team Rocket. Why not buy his way into their ranks? Unless he was recently disowned, which would make sense if mister "It's only logical to kill pokemon! " went to his parents all "Yeah, I know you wanted me to get into [insert elite school here] and all, but I'mma gonna join a terrorist group instead, 'kay?" and got himself disowned... Or if he was trying to do this without them finding out prematurely because he actually had enough sense to realize they might not take that well.

...I suppose that if Mankey was his only pokemon, they might want him to prove his worth... Or was he taking the challenge with a single pokemon just to further impress them?

I really thought you were going to lose Des there, too... I'm thankful that wasn't the case. But wow, Team Rocket's leader must really work hard to impress upon his followers that being caught must be, like, a fate worse than death or something. Even if he didn't know the karma-guided tentacools were going to nab him, you would think watching Juliet's death would have given him a hint about how stupid (desperate?) that was...

The little detail about throwing the nugget into the water has me a bit worried. Yes, it makes sense since that was basically blood money, but at the same time... didn't he need it for potions and other supplies? Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite him.

Also, was that a Team Galactic cameo at the start, or just someone ahead of the evil fashion curve? And Joshua's mother nooooo! Poor woman could never catch a break...
Team Rocket is a little...different in my run. They actually won't just take anybody, no matter how much money they have. They will only take someone who is reliable, and isn't likely to get arrested and interrogated. Evil they may be, they demand recruits prove themselves. To this Team Rocket, money doesn't mean much. They have plenty of it, from bank robberies, operating a black market, etc. I know I haven't really shown this yet, but Team Rocket becomes more and more involved in the plot as the story goes on, so you will be seeing and learning more about them. Tim was taking it a step too far by only using one Pokemon, he was being too arrogant and cocky.

I truly came close to losing Desdemona while playing through the game at that point. The close dance with death wasn't from a Wrap attack, but I changed it to make the almost-death more symbolic.

And, being caught is a fate worse than death in Team Rocket. Way back in Mt. Moon, Jessie and James were willing to brave the dangers of the cave than go to the police with William. The same with this Rocket on the bridge. He saw the tentacools, he knew they were there, and he knew his chance of survival was very low if he jumped into the water. But he also knew his chance of survival was even lower if he went with William to the police. Expect a chapter soon showing the consequences of getting caught by the police.

William did need the Nugget for potions and other stuff, but when I was playing, I tried to imagine what he would do if he was given a nugget after just losing a Pokemon because of Team Rocket. That's what I figured he would do, so I tossed the Nugget myself, that way I could say he did.

And sorry for not being clearer, but that was actually James (the guy from Mt. Moon at the start). I couldn't find a way to work his name in with the break-in dialogue, so I just described his hair. Now that I go back and read it, I can see how it comes across as Team Galactic. I screwed up the description when I called it a "bowl cut" the second time around, and the first time it was "straight, and went down to the bottom of his neck". But yeah, it was James and not Team Galactic, lol - my bad there. Not sure if I should go back and edit it or leave it the way it is...
Thanks for your questions and speculations :roll:, it's always fun to hear what people are thinking. I hope I answered all of your questions, without giving anything away. Let me know if anything else crosses your mind :smile:

I'm feeling Chapter 19 tonight...maybe. It won't be the chapter with Bill - that will be Chapter 20. But this chapter will have two new friends, and an evolution!

TrainerBOB

February 3rd, 2011, 12:45 am #60

Still working on 19, but here's something I did in memorial for Juliet. I am not promising I will do this for every death, but if it is popular and well-liked I might.
[+] Spoiler