Forum rules
You can't post new threads here.
If you have a run that's finished, please post it in Written Story Runs first. Then PM a
, and they'll move the thread for you!

Feel free to post in the runs that are already here, though!
TrainerBOB
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

February 11th, 2011, 5:01 am #101

Chapter Twenty-Seven
[+] Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Surge, the Gym Leader

“So, that’s everything Raichu.” Surge said, looking down at his electric Pokemon.

Surge was in the office in the back of his gym, leaning against his desk. He had just finished telling Raichu about the phone call from Jimmy. His Pokemon’s ears were dropping, and the Raichu looked both a little scared and sad.

“I’ve told you what my decision is,” Surge said, as he squatted down on the floor to look at Raichu at eye-level. “But what you do is up to you. You can stay, or you’re free to go.”

Raichu frowned at his trainer, and poked Surge’s chest with his tail.

“What is it buddy?” Surge asked. Raichu poked harder.

“You’re with me?” Surge asked.

“Rai-rai!” Raichu responded angrily in confirmation, as if he was insulted that Surge had considered he might decide anything else.

“Thanks bud,” Surge said. “I don’t know how I would do this without you.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William wasn’t too surprised when he entered the gym. Like the two previous gyms, it had been designed and built around the theme of the Leader’s team. The walls were made of cold hard steel, but electrical wires poked out of the wall. The battle-field floor was flat and polished, and it reflected the luminous lights that shone from the ceiling.

William slowly walked inside. Percy was perched on his shoulder, and the Pikachu was staring around in wonder.

“Pikaaa…” Percy said, in an awed voice.

“Impressed?” Surge called out from across the gym.

William turned his head, and he found Surge waiting for him across the battlefield. The Gym Leader stood with his arms crossed across his chest, and a large grin on his face.

“Welcome William…to the Vermillion City Gym. I take it you are here for your challenge?”

William walked up to the battlefield, and he squared his shoulders against the opposing gym leader.

“Yes I am.”

“Good.” Surge said simply. His Raichu was already out of his ball, and he stood at the gym trainer’s feet. The friendly expression on the Raichu’s face from the previous night’s party was gone. It was replaced with a meaner, tougher, and cocky expression. This was a Pokemon ready for a fight.

“You may use six Pokemon challenger,” Surge said. “I will be restricted to one. You may switch out your Pokemon at any time. I may not. If I call my Pokemon back, then I will have conceded defeat.”

“Understood.” William said, his face serious.

“Then let’s get started. Raichu – let’s do this!” Raichu ran forward onto the battlefield, where he assumed an aggressive stance. He stood on all fours, while the electric pouches on his cheeks sparkled with energy.

“Brabantio,” William said, unclipping a ball from his belt. “I choose you!” Wiliam let loose the Ivysuar, and the toad Pokemon jumped onto the ground, eager and excited.

Surge narrowed his eyes, quickly calculating his strategy. He knew Ivysuar would be resistant to his Raichu’s electric attacks…

“Alright Ivysuar,” William said, “use Vine Whip!” Two vines snapped out of the side’s of Brabantio’s bulb on his back and whistled through the air to the opposing Raichu.

“Raichu – dodge them and use Thunderbolt!” Raichu was quick on his feet, as he ran out of the incoming path of the vines. His cheeks sparkled, and then his whole body was illuminated with electricity. He sent the wicked attack at Brabantio, who couldn’t dodge it. The Pokemon was knocked backwards, groaning as the electricity coursed through his body.

“Brabantio!” William exclaimed. The Ivysaur got back up, trembling as he did so. William bit his lower lip, surprised at the intensity of the electric attack. Grass was resitant to electric-type Pokemon, but not immune…

“Okay Raichu, use Quick-Attack!” Surge ordered. Raichu started to sprint forward, gaining speed with each step he took. The electric-Pokemon was like a homing device, heading straight towards William’s Ivysaur…

“Stop it with Vine Whip!”

Vines snapped forward towards the Raichu once more, and this time they succedded in wrapping around the mouse Pokemon. Raichu struggled in the vines as Brabantio lifted him up in the air…

“Use another Thunderbolt!” Surge yelled.

“RAAI…CHUUUU!” The Raichu roared as it sent an electric attack down the vines of Brabantio. The Ivysuar gasped and winced as the electricity ran through his body, but he managed to hold on to the Raichu.

“Now, slam it to the ground!” William called out.

Brabantio raised the Raichu a little higher in the air, and then slammed the Pokemon onto the battlefield floor. But Surge had something planned for this.

“Now, use your strength to pull the Ivysuar to you!” Surge said. Raichu, who still had the vines wrapped around his body, grabbed them with his arms and gave them a sharp tug. Brabantio was lifted off the ground, and flew through the air towards the Raichu, who stood tall and ready…

“Use leech-seed!” William said, grasping for straws. But Brabantio could not aim at the Raichu while in the air…

“MEGA-PUCH!” Surge yelled. Raichu drew his fist back, and punched the grass-type Pokemon square in the stomach when he finally reached Raichu. Brabantio was sent flying backwards, and he landed on the ground a few feet in front of William.

William quickly unclipped Brabantio’s pokeball from his belt as the Ivysuar struggled to get up.

“Return!” William said, recalling the Brabantio back. Surge stood across the field, watching William carefully. William looked to Percy who watched his trainer apprehensively. He knew his Pikachu was ready to go, but William knew it would not be wise to send Percy into battle now.

Instead, William unclipped Fleance’s ball from his belt.

I should have started with you, William thought. It would have been safer…

“Go – Fleance!” William said, opening the ball and letting lose his first catch onto the battle field.

When Fleance appeared on the battlefield, Surge’s eyebrows shot up, and he licked his lips nervously.

Fleance was no longer a Nidorino.

He was a Nidoking.

The Pokemon stood tall and proud. His rough skin had become purple body armor. His muscles were greater than the Lieutenant’s himself. Fleance’s horn was now wider, longer, and sharper. The Pokemon beat his fists against his chest and roared a might challenge to the Raichu across the field.

“Alright Fleance – show them what your made of!”

“Don’t give up Raichu – ignore the type-disadvanatage!” Surge commanded. Raichu nodded in agreement, and he hissed at the Nidoking threateningly.

Fleance was not intimidated by the rat he faced at all.

“Quick attack Raichu!” Surge ordered. Raichu sprinted forward across the battlefield, becoming a blur as he approached Fleance.

“Double-kick!” William said. But the Raichu was too quick for Fleance. Raichu collided with the Nidoking’s chest before Fleance could lift a foot up off the ground.

However, that didn’t mean Raichu did much damage.

Surge’s Pokemon bounced off the Nidoking’s chest, and landed squarely on his back. Fleance kicked Raichu high up in the air like he would a ball, and then gave the Pokemon a second kick – sending him flying backwards.

Raichu landed on the ground and slid across it backwards to a few feet away from the Gym Leader’s feet.

But the electric Pokemon was not out, he sprung back up, his cheeks sparkling. He hissed at the Nidoking across the battlefield, who in return beat against his chest and roared in defiance.

William felt the blood rushing through his body, as he stood clenched waiting for Surge’s next move.

What Surge did next was not what William expected at all.

“Enough,” Surge said, walking onto the battlefield. He bent down, and picked up his Raichu, who had suddenly relaxed. “You’ve proven your worth for the Thunder Badge William.”

William was stunned at the sudden development. He merely gaped at Surge, shocked that the Lieutenant was giving up a battle that he had not lost yet.

“There is no sense in one of us losing a Pokemon in a battle you’re bound to win,” Surge said, as he walked across the field. William recalled Fleance to his ball, still frowning. “Besides,” Surge said. “We have more important things to discuss.”
[+] Team's Status

POKEMON:
Fleance 27
Percy 24
Brabantio 26
Desdemona 24
Tybalt 22
Romeo 15

BOXED:
Donalbain 19
Mercutio 6
Henry 4

DEAD:
Juliet
[+] A few thoughts
Not completely satisfied with this chapter...I kind of wanted to include the next part in as well, but I have to go and I wanted to update tonight. The battle was not written great, I am still working on describing and writing my battle scenes. Criticize this please, and throw me a few tips.
I'm not sure how tomorrow will turn out for me, but I'm hoping to get home in time to write the last chapter of Part 4. And then...we have Part 5 to start.

Thanks to everyone who has been following me! I hope you have been enjoying it :)

Until tomorrow night, peace :)

Velvet
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym

February 11th, 2011, 6:32 am #102

[+] Quick Thoughts
For what it's worth, I liked the battle sequence. Quick, snappy, but providing good mental images of how it's playing out at the same time.

So Fleance has, in fact, evolved... As of now, he's clearly William's strongest pokemon. But this could become a problem in the future... depending on how William handles it, of course. Since Nidos are pretty much swiss army knives rabbits pokemon, the fact he's pretty much not going to learn anything new naturally should be easily overcome with a few well-applied TMs. What I'm more concerned about, though, is William overestimating just how much damage Fleance can endure... Or simply being caught off-guard by one of those cursed criticals.

Losing any of his friends would be a heavy blow, but to lose the most evolved would probably be especially damaging, simply because he is, again, the strongest at this point.

Now, what might Surge have to say... and what exactly was his decision? Well, we'll see soon enough... hopefully Will comes out of this without too many scars, physical or otherwise.
Still Waters -- A Fire Red Nuzlocke Story Run

Entice
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym

February 11th, 2011, 6:33 am #103

[+] A thought
The Moonstone was pretty obvious, but I like how you formed it to fit the story. I was also glad to see Surge's choice, I have a feeling things will end well for him. Then again, I could be wrong, You's da writer.
Only mistake I spotted was where you typed 'His Raichy was already out of his ball,' Very small mistake, but I thought you'd like to know about it. As always, a very nice chapter. You've got me really hooked now, I can't wait to see what you do next. Keep 'em coming. =]
My computer sucks.

Epsi
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym

February 11th, 2011, 2:14 pm #104

[+] thoughts
Hrm... Maybe I was expecting a more eventful battle sequence, but then again, considering Lt. Surge's decision, it was quick and to the point. Not like Surge isn't going to need all the time ha can get to fill William in...
Hello. Let's play some music.

TrainerBOB

February 12th, 2011, 2:44 am #105

Aw, thanks guys :blush: You're all really to kind to me. :smile:
[+] replies
Velvet wrote:
[+] Quick Thoughts
For what it's worth, I liked the battle sequence. Quick, snappy, but providing good mental images of how it's playing out at the same time.

So Fleance has, in fact, evolved... As of now, he's clearly William's strongest pokemon. But this could become a problem in the future... depending on how William handles it, of course. Since Nidos are pretty much swiss army knives rabbits pokemon, the fact he's pretty much not going to learn anything new naturally should be easily overcome with a few well-applied TMs. What I'm more concerned about, though, is William overestimating just how much damage Fleance can endure... Or simply being caught off-guard by one of those cursed criticals.

Losing any of his friends would be a heavy blow, but to lose the most evolved would probably be especially damaging, simply because he is, again, the strongest at this point.

Now, what might Surge have to say... and what exactly was his decision? Well, we'll see soon enough... hopefully Will comes out of this without too many scars, physical or otherwise.
Thank you - I'm glad you liked the chapter! I still wish I could have written it out a bit longer, but I think it makes sense considering what happens next...stay posted :)

And Nidoking is amazing, I'm so glad I have one in this run. Its not a spoiler to say Fleance is still alive, since my last save was by Surge. With that being said, I'm hoping to take him all the way to E4...
Entice wrote:
[+] A thought
The Moonstone was pretty obvious, but I like how you formed it to fit the story. I was also glad to see Surge's choice, I have a feeling things will end well for him. Then again, I could be wrong, You's da writer.
Only mistake I spotted was where you typed 'His Raichy was already out of his ball,' Very small mistake, but I thought you'd like to know about it. As always, a very nice chapter. You've got me really hooked now, I can't wait to see what you do next. Keep 'em coming. =]
Thank you - and thanks for pointing out the mistake. I'll go fix that now :roll:

And thank you again for the compliments, I'm really glad you're enjoying it! I'll be posting the next chapter later tonight.
Epsilon wrote:
[+] thoughts
Hrm... Maybe I was expecting a more eventful battle sequence, but then again, considering Lt. Surge's decision, it was quick and to the point. Not like Surge isn't going to need all the time ha can get to fill William in...
I did originally plan out a longer, more dramatic battle scene...but considering the events of the next chapter, it didn't fit. I think that was the primary reason I wasn't completely satisfied with this chapter: the shortness of the gym battle. I'm hoping it makes sense in the end...but we'll see. The battle with Brock is still my favorite battle sequence so far, I'm hoping to write something better within Part 5 though.

Thanks again for all the comments and encouragement guys! I'll have the next chapter out tonight! :D

TrainerBOB

February 12th, 2011, 3:08 pm #106

Ah! Late again?!? Sorry yall, I was working on 28 last night...and then I just kind of fell asleep. :sweatdrop:
But here it is now!
Chapter Twenty-Eight
[+] Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight

William sat in a chair across from Surge in his back office. Percy stood on the floor, holding the newly obtained Thunder Badge. The battle had been much easier than William had expected, and Surge’s sudden surrender still puzzled him.

The Lieutenant sat across from him at his desk, and his Raichu sat directly on top of his desk. The Raichu, though tired, did not seem to be seriously wounded. The Pokemon had taken several heavy hits, yet he sat there just find. William knew if he had not had the Moon Stone that Val had given him, he would not of had Nidoking to battle with. And then, the battle might have been much more difficult.

After the battle, William had followed Surge into his back office, where he was presented with the Thunder Badge that Percy was now studying. But since then, Surge had been quiet.

“Sir…I don’t understand. Why did you stop fighting?” William asked. “The battle was far from over.”

“I didn’t need to lose in order to know whether or not you were worthy of that badge. Once I knew you were, I saw no need to further waste time. I need to move quickly.”

William was taken back from the seriousness in Surge’s voice. The Gym Leader seemed to be normally so cheery, but now he was moody and serious.

“Why…why do you need to move quickly?” William asked. Surge sighed.

“William…do you know the story behind the Battle of Threes?”

William felt his heart ice over.

“Yes.” He said. Surge raised his eyebrows.

“Are you sure? Do you know the real story, or the one the history books told you?”

William was quiet for a moment, as he reflected on what to say next.

“I know Professor Oak had three children. I know one of them – Jimmy – went on to try to rule the world, or something evil like that. I know he was stopped by Oak’s other two children. I know that is more than the history books say”

Surge looked surprised at William’s knowledge, as he leaned back in his seat.

“No wonder your in trouble…” Surge muttered under his breath.

“What do you mean trouble?”

Surge ignored William’s question, and he kept talking.

“The story say Jimmy and the others are dead, but there bodies where never found. What do you think about that?”

William was again silent for a long time, before he whispered softly,

“I know there are a few who think he is still alive and are looking for him.”

Surge’s eyebrows shot up again, and he leaned in over the desk.

“Who?” He asked in a whisper.

“Bill Yates. Misty. Brock.” Surge nodded as he leaned away.

“I can understand why Misty and Brock would want to find that man…but Bill is just meddling in things he doesn’t belong in.” The gym leader sighed. “Well, now there is another part to the story you need to hear.”

“Jimmy came to my gym when we were both young and he challenged me. He steam-rolled over me like it was nothing – he was truly a talented Pokemon trainer. I was both surprised and honored to have such a battle. And he wasn’t just a good trainer; he was nice. Or so he appeared to be.”

Surge paused as he moved to scratch Raichu behind his ear.

“I wanted a friend. I had just come back from the war in Johto, which was insanely unpopular. While I was a Gym Leader, that didn’t necessarily mean people liked me. They heard ‘Lieutenant’, and freaked out a bit. So, I was looking for a friend. I thought Jimmy could be that friend.”

Surge shook his head sadly.

“He used me to get the scoop on the other gym leaders. I’m probably half the reason he destroyed them just as bad as he destroyed me. He knew all of their secrets. I helped Jimmy Oak proceed along his quest for evil.”

“He would have gotten there eventually,” William said, feeling pity for Surge.

“True…but nonetheless. I certainly did not help the better cause. Eventually, Jimmy’s cruel methods opened up my eyes, and I broke away contact with him. I’m glad I did so sooner than later…before he became a raging psychopath.”

“So then…you don’t know anything about whether or not he could be alive?” William asked.

“He called me two days ago,” Surge said bluntly. William was silent, in shock.

“…What about?”

“He wanted me to kill you and all of your Pokemon,” Surge said. William felt his entire body clench, and Percy looked up from the badge, his eyes fierce ready for a battle. William’s eyes had turned to stone, and they did not leave Surge’s.

“Relax William, I’m not going to,” Surge said, but then he closed his eyes and said in a whisper. “I’m not going to lie...at first, I was going to do it. But then…I realized something.”

Surge stood up, and faced away from William, who was still not moving in his seat.

“You said to me that you had to make decisions based on what made you happy. Killing and taking lives has never made me happy. I was not necessarily happy in the army. What has always made me happy, was living with Pokemon.” Surge raised his head up, like he was looking to the heavens. “Jimmy doesn’t care about Pokemon. Not like I do. Not like you do. He needs to be taken down. He needs to stop.”

Surge turned around to face William,

“Help me William. Help me stop him.”

William looked at the Lieutenant, and he nodded his head slowly.

“I’ll do whatever I can sir.” Percy climbed up to William’s lap, and he nodded in agreement.

“That’s the spirit! Now tell me William – why would Jimmy want you dead? We need to find out what’s he up to and what he is planning.”

William bit his lips as he thought about whether or not he should tell Surge the details of his conversation with Bill. Finally, he decided to fully trust the Gym Leader.

“Bill had a theory sir…he thinks I am a grandchild of Oak, and thus making me a son of one of the three.”

Surge was silent for a long moment, and then he said softly.

“That…would explain it. You could be a son of the two that defeated him, and he may want to take out his revenge…” Surge sat back down at his desk, thinking hard. “…or perhaps jealousy…

“Jealousy? Jealousy of what?” William asked. Surge shook his head.

“Nothing, I was just throwing random words out there.” The Lieutenant sighed.

“What if…what if I was his son?” William asked, feeling his body tremble as he did so. Surge looked at him for a long second.

“I’m not sure William…I’m just not sure.” They were both silent for a second, before William asked:

“What do we do now sir?” William asked. “He’ll still be looking for me, and he’s definitely going to be looking for you.”

“You have to continue your quest to obtain all eight badges,” Surge said. “If you are a Son of Three, then you may be the only one who can stop him. So, you must continue to grow stronger.”

Surge stood up again, and started pacing behind his desk.

“I’m leaving the gym. Not immediately, but as soon as possible. Jimmy will come looking for me, and when he does, I must not be here or else he will kill me. I’ll be going underground for awhile, not literally of course but you know what I mean. I’ll be looking for any clues or hints about where Jimmy is.”

Surge unclipped a ball from his belt, and he recalled Raichu back into it.

“I’m taking only my Raichu with me – the rest of my Pokemon I’m leaving here for a trap when Jimmy gets here. The may not be able to kill him, but they can at least try. Who knows – we might get lucky.”

William stood up, feeling he had to do something.

“I’ll go back to Cerulean to tell Misty what we now know about Jimmy – that’s he still alive.”

Surge nodded his head up and down in agreement.

“Good. Good. How will you get there?”

“The road to Saffron was closed for repair when I came here so I had to take the underground path…but I think the road is back up so I’ll probably just go through Saffron.” But Surge was shaking his head.

“No, no. Take the underground tunnel. It’s almost never used. Jimmy will be expecting you to go through Saffron. Hell, he might even be waiting for you there.”

William nodded.

“Okay – and then I’ll be off to Celadon city…how should I get there, if not Saffron?”

Surge considered it for a second, and then said quickly:

“Take the Rock Tunnel to Lavender Town. Then go through Route 8 and then underground path to get to Route 7 and then get to Celadon City.”

He was still pacing back and forth.

“There will be dangers in any city you are at, but as long as you are quick in the wild you should be safe. Remember that William. Remember that.” William nodded quickly to himself.

“I will.”

Surge stopped pacing, and stood there studying William for a long second.

“I’m sorry kid – a lot has been put on your shoulders at such a young age.” Surge put his hand to his belt and he unclipped a ball. He held it in his palm, and he offered it to William. “Here kid, you could use this.” William took the Pokeball and studied it.
“She’s a Squirtle. She was never a part of my battling team, and I can’t leave her to fight Jimmy in good conscious. Train her, and raise her. She’ll become one of the strongest Pokemon you have.”

William looked to Surge, and said softly.

“Thank you sir,” he clipped the ball on his belt, and thought softly, Virgilia. “Thank you…for everything.” He held up his hand and Surge took it, and shook it roughly.

“You’re a fine young man William.” Surge said. “I wish you luck.”

“Good luck to you too sir.”

--------------------------------

Miles away, Bill sat in his cottage working at his desk furiously. He typed away at his computer and then he turned back to a piece of paper and studied it intently. His home was still a complete mess – but that did not seem to bother him.

There was a knock at his door, and Bill called out.

“Come in!”

A man wearing a large, black overcoat entered the room.

“One moment please.” The man only nodded, and didn’t say anything. He stood there, waiting.

Bill worked furiously for several minutes, forgetting about the man who stood there. When he saw him five minutes later out of the corner of his eyes, he jumped slightly, and then he remembered, and then he started speaking rapidly.

“Oh, I’m so sorry sir, I can’t believe I forgot about you, I am oh, just so sorry, please forgive me,” Bill took in a deep breath, and then asked with a smile. “What can I do for you?”

“Nothing,” the man said. “Are you Bill Yates?”

“Yes I am.”

“Well then, congratulations are in order. You’ve found me.” The man said, spreading his arms wide. The black overcoat covered his whole body, and his black hat was tipped down so that Bill could only see his mouth.

“Excuse me?” Bill asked.

“All you had to do was let the wrong person know you were looking for me, and then I came to you! It was quite simple wasn’t it? And here you were doing all these research, what a waste of time.”

“Who are you?” Bill said, a cold sweat breaking out on his face.

“Why Bill, shouldn’t you be celebrating?” The man asked. “After all, I am the man you have been looking for. I am Jimmy Oak.”
[+] Team Status

POKEMON:
Fleance (Nidoking) 27
Percy (Pikachu) 24
Brabantio (Ivysuar) 26
Desdemona (Butterfree) 24
Tybalt (Charmeleon) 22
Virgilia (Squirtle) 10

BOXED:
Donalbain (Diglet) 19
Mercutio (Zubat) 6
Henry (Ratatta) 4
Romeo (Pidgey) 15

DEAD:
Juliet (Spearow)
[+] A few thoughts...
I considered taking out the ending and saving the surprise for Chapter 1 of Part 5...but I didn't. Did you guys like it? I'm still second guessing it...

Anyway, Part 5's preface WILL be posted tonight. Any guesses on what Jimmy's backstory with Erika is?

Velvet

February 12th, 2011, 4:41 pm #107

...Well. :ohdear:
[+] Thoughts on these developments:
You know, Will's summary of what he knew was rather interesting just because of how starkly it laid out how little he knows(/knew?) and really drove home how little information the public has about it.

...And telling Surge their names was a really, really dumb move. :ugh: ...Well, not dumb, because at that moment he had absolutely no reason not to trust Surge, but still, I cringed and thought, "Oh, Will, no..."

Still, you have to give Surge credit for being so straightforward with him. Just laying out what he knows, without really sugarcoating his own responsibility -- particularly when he says he effectively sold out the other gym leaders. William shows good insight here; surely, Jimmy would have gotten the information in other ways... but Surge has likely heard all that before, and it doesn't mitigate the feeling that he betrayed them.

Surge's offhand comment about jealousy really makes me more suspicious about what Jimmy's home life was like. Certainly, it's quite common to interpret Oak's behavior in the game as blatant favoritism towards the player character -- even as a child, I remember being struck by how unnecessarily nasty Oak's treatment of his grandson at the climax felt. Just something about how he scolded him for losing the title before Oak could get there... while Blue had been a cocky jerk, it was really jarring how he reacted so... coldly, I suppose. Probably meant to make the player happy and cut your rival down a few notches; still, it's easy to draw less-than-favorable conclusions about what their home life could be like from that...

I'd already been wondering if Jimmy was the 'unfavorite' among his sons... or, rather, if he was the favored son, facing pressure as the eldest to do the family name proud and be the very best. The professor may have even played them against each other, however unknowingly -- always comparing them, doling out praise paired with not-so-subtle jabs to the other boys' egos: "See how well he did? Both of you should live up to that example!"

On a lighter note -- I can't believe I didn't make the connection between the dancing squirtle and the one you get in the game! :>_<: Especially since you've done so well weaving the three of them into the plot so that they aren't just "Oh hey free starter, sweet!' I wonder how she feels about being given away, though... or if she even knows the full reasoning behind it, or that her original trainer's still in serious danger, along with all of her friends and former teammates...

...Calling it now: if there's any news broadcasts about something happening at the Vermilion Gym, William had better be careful about breaking the news to Virgilia, or the poor thing might go through a heroic BSOD.

So Surge defied the odds and made it through this part alive... Though I still don't expect him to see the epilogue, I'll still be rooting for him all the same. Even if the timing of the ending could raise suspicion about Surge selling Bill and the others out... But aside from the timing, there's little else to support that at the moment.

...Is it horrible that I'm more worried about what Jimmy could do with Bill's technology than I am about Bill? :ohdear: If he's looking for information, there's plenty of power there to conduct his searching -- to say nothing of the fact he might be able to look up William's account! Even if he can't alter the data, he can see what sort of pokemon William has registered and stored... That can't be good. And then, of course there's the fact Bill has Jade's number -- what if she calls? What if Misty or Brock calls?!

William has a backstory with Erika, huh... Well, for a completely random, off-the-wall and likely totally baseless guess, how's this: Jade used to be the Celadon City Gym leader before she met Jimmy and plot happened. Jimmy could have even exploited his friendship with Surge to learn how to earn her favor. Erika was a family friend and became her replacement; she may have even babysat William for a while before things all went to hell.

...I have nothing to base that on, other than the thought that hey, it might be nifty and give Jade something more plot-connected than 'mother in hiding'. :wink:
Still Waters -- A Fire Red Nuzlocke Story Run

Psyche
Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym

February 12th, 2011, 5:04 pm #108

Oh my.
[+] Spoiler
Jimmy going straight up to Bill? This won't turn out well for him :( Or Surge.
Why don't YOU have a furret yet?
Crystal story run!
(COMPLETE)Yellow cartridge run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

Epsi

February 12th, 2011, 8:30 pm #109

All I can say is eeps. and I liked the Bill addition to the end of the chapter - it's really well played.

TrainerBOB

February 13th, 2011, 1:12 am #110

[+] Replies! :D
Velvet wrote: ...Well.:ohdear:
[+] Thoughts on these developments:

You know, Will's summary of what he knew was rather interesting just because of how starkly it laid out how little he knows(/knew?) and really drove home how little information the public has about it.

...And telling Surge their names was a really, really dumb move. ...Well, not dumb, because at that moment he had absolutely no reason not to trust Surge, but still, I cringed and thought, "Oh, Will, no..."

Still, you have to give Surge credit for being so straightforward with him. Just laying out what he knows, without really sugarcoating his own responsibility -- particularly when he says he effectively sold out the other gym leaders. William shows good insight here; surely, Jimmy would have gotten the information in other ways... but Surge has likely heard all that before, and it doesn't mitigate the feeling that he betrayed them.

Surge's offhand comment about jealousy really makes me more suspicious about what Jimmy's home life was like. Certainly, it's quite common to interpret Oak's behavior in the game as blatant favoritism towards the player character -- even as a child, I remember being struck by how unnecessarily nasty Oak's treatment of his grandson at the climax felt. Just something about how he scolded him for losing the title before Oak could get there... while Blue had been a cocky jerk, it was really jarring how he reacted so... coldly, I suppose. Probably meant to make the player happy and cut your rival down a few notches; still, it's easy to draw less-than-favorable conclusions about what their home life could be like from that...

I'd already been wondering if Jimmy was the 'unfavorite' among his sons... or, rather, if he was the favored son, facing pressure as the eldest to do the family name proud and be the very best. The professor may have even played them against each other, however unknowingly -- always comparing them, doling out praise paired with not-so-subtle jabs to the other boys' egos: "See how well he did? Both of you should live up to that example!"

On a lighter note -- I can't believe I didn't make the connection between the dancing squirtle and the one you get in the game! Especially since you've done so well weaving the three of them into the plot so that they aren't just "Oh hey free starter, sweet!' I wonder how she feels about being given away, though... or if she even knows the full reasoning behind it, or that her original trainer's still in serious danger, along with all of her friends and former teammates...

...Calling it now: if there's any news broadcasts about something happening at the Vermilion Gym, William had better be careful about breaking the news to Virgilia, or the poor thing might go through a heroic BSOD.

So Surge defied the odds and made it through this part alive... Though I still don't expect him to see the epilogue, I'll still be rooting for him all the same. Even if the timing of the ending could raise suspicion about Surge selling Bill and the others out... But aside from the timing, there's little else to support that at the moment.

...Is it horrible that I'm more worried about what Jimmy could do with Bill's technology than I am about Bill? If he's looking for information, there's plenty of power there to conduct his searching -- to say nothing of the fact he might be able to look up William's account! Even if he can't alter the data, he can see what sort of pokemon William has registered and stored... That can't be good. And then, of course there's the fact Bill has Jade's number -- what if she calls? What if Misty or Brock calls?!

William has a backstory with Erika, huh... Well, for a completely random, off-the-wall and likely totally baseless guess, how's this: Jade used to be the Celadon City Gym leader before she met Jimmy and plot happened. Jimmy could have even exploited his friendship with Surge to learn how to earn her favor. Erika was a family friend and became her replacement; she may have even babysat William for a while before things all went to hell.

...I have nothing to base that on, other than the thought that hey, it might be nifty and give Jade something more plot-connected than 'mother in hiding'.
[+] My reply (it's kind of long so I bagged it
I think one of William's fatal flaws is his trust and his optimism. He trusts too much, he believes things will turn out okay too much. it was kind of dumb for William to tell Surge their names. Surge isn't going to betray William, but he didn't know that for 100% sure.

And I've really come to like the character Surge has developed into. He's actually kind of a cool guy.

The jealousy thing actually doesn't have to do with Oak, you'll find out by the end though :) And Jimmy was actually originally Oak's favorite, until he took a turn for darker ways.

It's not really horrible to not feel bad for Bill....especially when the writer himself doesn't feel bad for him. :xd: In a way, the guy kind of had it coming to him. I do feel kind of bad for what exactly Jimmy put Bill through though...

And that was actually a pretty good guess. It was wrong - but it was on the right track. Jade is much more than a "mother-in-hiding"...

Psyche wrote:Oh my.
[+] Spoiler
Jimmy going straight up to Bill? This won't turn out well for him :( Or Surge.
Yes...things didn't turn out well for Bill at all...
Epsilon wrote:All I can say is eeps. and I liked the Bill addition to the end of the chapter - it's really well played.
Thank you! I considered taking it out because I wasn't sure if it would take away from something else later on.
And, with that completed, we now begin...Part 5!

Part 5
Preface
[+] Preface
Preface

When Jimmy first made it to Celadon City, he didn’t challenge Erika immediately. At the time, I had no idea why. But a few days later, I learned the truth when Jimmy called me.

He and Erika were in love.

Erika was Jimmy’s age at the time, and she was already a prodigy at wielding grass type Pokemon. She was awarded the position of the Celadon’s City Gym Leader after getting rid of an infestation of Tentacruels and Tentacools in the city’s water supply.

In some ways, they made sense together. Erika, like Jimmy, was constantly trying to prove herself. After all, her father was a gym leader.

Jimmy called me, and he told me of his love interest. He told me he was going to attempt to get Erika to leave her gym, and travel with him.

I advised him against it.

I told him he was young, and he shouldn’t commit himself to one person right now. I warned him that what he was feeling wasn’t love, just attraction. I said he needed to focus on his original plans, and go about them alone.

Jimmy scoffed at what I suggested, and he hung up.

However, a few days later, I heard he had challenged and beaten Erika. It was a long, long time before I heard what had changed his mind.

Jimmy had meant Erika’s twin sister – Janine.

Erika and Janine were not identical; while Erika was beautiful, Janine was a goddess. Janine made Erika look like a weed next to a flower. Erika was cruel, petty, self-centered, and lacked confidence in herself. Janine was kind, down-to-earth, and confident. She was everything Erika wasn’t.

But – more importantly – she was everything Jimmy wasn’t. Perhaps that is why he pined after her. She was who he could never be, or refused to be. By achieving her love, maybe he thought he would fill that hole inside of him.

Janine did not return Jimmy’s love. She told him she could not return the love of a man who her sister was in love with.

So, Jimmy destroyed Erika like he destroyed the others, and then told Erika she was nothing compared to her sister.

Of course, this did not win Janine’s love like Jimmy hoped. Rather, it drove her further away.

But Erika blamed Janine for losing Jimmy’s love. Erika blamed Janine for everything that happened afterwards.

After the Battle of the Threes, Janine went into hiding and she changed her name. She knew Jimmy was still alive, and she did not want to be pursued by him. But the fact that Bill found her worries me greatly – it makes me afraid that Jimmy could do the same.

To this day, the twins have not spoken. Erika thinks her sister is still off somewhere in a different region.

Erika has no idea about the two children that her sister has had.

Erika doesn’t even know that her sister now goes by Jade.

-From the diary of Professor Samuel Oak

[+] A Few Thoughts on Part 5
It's going to be long. Longest Part yet. But, I promise to make it worth reading.
Part 4 turned out a little lighter than I originally planned. I remembered saying there was going to be a lot of darkness in Part 4, but there wasn't nearly as much as I had anticipated.
But now when I say Part 5 will be dark, I mean it. Part 5 will be dark.
Expect at least one death.
With that being said...anyone can die. Humans and Pokemon alike.
Chapter 29 will be posted tomorrow morning. Chapter 30 MIGHT be posted tomorrow night.
As always, thank you to everyone for reading and commenting. You are all amazing. I will continue to aim to please and get better. If I ever stop doing so, please let me know, and I will work to fix it :) A few things I will be working to improve on in the next Part are...
1. Better characterizations of my Pokemon. They really are cool characters, I'm just doing a poor job of showing it.
2. More of Chris. He's only appeared four times, and he's kind of a major character.
3. Better descriptions! I feel like this is were I struggle the most.

Psyche

February 13th, 2011, 1:45 am #111

[+] Spoiler
wrote:Erika doesn't even know that her sister now goes by Jade.
OH SNAP
Crystal story run!
Avatar Credits: One day I'll name all the Nuzlockers that contributed but today is not that day. Also /vp/ and dA.

Entice

February 13th, 2011, 2:07 am #112

Psyche wrote:
[+] Spoiler
OH SNAP
This!!
My computer sucks.

TrainerBOB

February 13th, 2011, 4:56 am #113

[+] Replies
Psyche wrote:
[+] Spoiler
OH SNAP
And
Entice wrote: This!!
I'm glad it took you guys by surprise :) Thanks for the reads and comments - Chapter 29 will be posted tomorrow morning!!!!

Epsi

February 13th, 2011, 5:53 am #114

Heh, as soon as you wrote "Bill found her" I didn't even need the Jade line.
[+] but...
But you provided some grounds upon which William can't be Jimmy's son. Not that he couldn't be, I'm just taking it as a possible hint.

QKNC
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym

February 13th, 2011, 7:43 am #115

I just finished catching up, and then I read the chapter 5 preface.
[+] Spoiler
akdlghbaie;jflakjfa.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

I think that was a well-done twist. Smack me across the face with it, why don't you. Now I'm looking forward to the Celadon gym battle a lot. Or at least when William and Erika meet. That will definitely be interesting.

schneeblefish
Conqueror of the Petalburg Gym
Conqueror of the Petalburg Gym

February 13th, 2011, 4:17 pm #116

Well, fair's fair, you read all of mine, so I read yours. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed, bar the occasional grammatical error (common mistakes, nothing to really worry about and it's just a pet peeve of mine)
[+] Dat plotbomb
So... William is the son of Jimmy's former love interest? Implying he's his son, but not ruling out the possibility that he isn't... it could still be either of the other two, as could Chris' father. In any plotline, nothing is certain until it's revealed...

And yet Chris and Will could not only be half-brothers, but full ones? It won't be the first time Oak or Jade have lied...

Damn, you did a good job with your plot! And you're skirting round the issue you pointed out in mine of not knowing team members by listing your team after every update to be certain, in case you haven't mentioned them in the chapter.
Nice updating speed, too, and I'll definitely be watching!
Might have to upgrade my own writing speed, too...
Banner courtesy of Kynim, avatar of MrGregor.

Q&A BONUS CHAPTER (27/6/12)
Death count = 7
[+] Spoiler
Richard's pok?mon:
/ / / / /
Atlanta / Ace / Hermes / Lil' Jo / Ramiel / Orpheus

Kathryn's pok?mon:
/ / / / /
Frederick / Amelia / Aidan / Evie / Max / Lilly

TrainerBOB

February 13th, 2011, 6:02 pm #117

Totally counts as updating in the morning since it isn't noon yet where I am! :biggrin:
[+] replies
Epsilon wrote:Heh, as soon as you wrote "Bill found her" I didn't even need the Jade line.
[+] but...
But you provided some grounds upon which William can't be Jimmy's son. Not that he couldn't be, I'm just taking it as a possible hint.
I thought a few people might catch on at that point, but I threw it in anyway :smile:
QKNC wrote:I just finished catching up, and then I read the chapter 5 preface.
[+] Spoiler
akdlghbaie;jflakjfa.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

I think that was a well-done twist. Smack me across the face with it, why don't you. Now I'm looking forward to the Celadon gym battle a lot. Or at least when William and Erika meet. That will definitely be interesting.
Thank you! And when William and Erika meets, it will be interesting. But it won't be what you're expecting. :wink:
schneeblefish wrote:Well, fair's fair, you read all of mine, so I read yours. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed, bar the occasional grammatical error (common mistakes, nothing to really worry about and it's just a pet peeve of mine)
[+] Dat plotbomb
So... William is the son of Jimmy's former love interest? Implying he's his son, but not ruling out the possibility that he isn't... it could still be either of the other two, as could Chris' father. In any plotline, nothing is certain until it's revealed...

And yet Chris and Will could not only be half-brothers, but full ones? It won't be the first time Oak or Jade have lied...

Damn, you did a good job with your plot! And you're skirting round the issue you pointed out in mine of not knowing team members by listing your team after every update to be certain, in case you haven't mentioned them in the chapter.
Nice updating speed, too, and I'll definitely be watching!
Thank you for taking all that time! And sorry about the grammar mistakes...I do make quite a few...I used to be so much worse though, you wouldn't believe it. :laughing:
Making elaborate plots is my favorite thing about writing :) Expect it to thicken even more!

And I try to update once a day, although it doesn't always happen, and I'm afraid it won't happen this week... :sweatdrop:
BEFORE READING:
Be warned. This chapter gets a bit nasty and bloody.

Chapter Twenty-Nine
[+] Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Message

In Pallet Town, in Professor Oak’s Lab, behind his desk, Professor Oak sat, smiling. His feet were up on his desk, and he held the national newspaper, Kanto’s Kronicle in his hands. His was smiling wider than he had in his entire life, and it seemed that a few wrinkles on his face might have disappeared. His eyes had a new life to them, and even his hair seemed a little thicker somehow.

Professor Oak was reading the column that was printed on the front page of Kanto’s Kronicle. The column was the most horrible thing he had ever seen published in his entire life. It was utter crap.

The column was also his, and Professor Oak couldn’t help but grin bigger and bigger as he read it.

The Kanto region is truly the best region out of them all. No other region could possibly hold a candle to the beauty and masterpiece that is the Kanto landscape. From our mountains, to our fields, to our lakes, and to our caves – Kanto is simply the best. Ever crevice and every grass of this land is wonderful, wonderful place makes my heart thump fast in my chest. I wouldn’t be happy anyplace else in the world! But, there is much more that makes Kanto the best beside the landscape.

After all, Kanto is home to the best eight gym leaders out there in the entire world. What other region can boast that they have such a unique and diverse group of gym leaders? None. And there tough too – just look at how long it has been since someone made it to the champion! And we treat our gym leaders well to – the only thing that they don’t get is Johto’s vegetable: yam!

Right after our gym leaders come the trainers themselves. There a brave bunch – after all they have to face the man dangers of Kanto! Plenty of wilderness, forests, and caves. They use a wide range of Pokemon – some are slithery, like Ekans, while others are ever changing, like Ditto.

Can you feel it in you? The feeling you get about Kanto? It really is an amazing place to be isn’t it? I am trying to show the grandness of Kanto with simple ink.

Even though there are other regions out there, Kanto is definitely the best. When it comes to places, Kanto has stolen my heart.

It was complete crap. Professor Oak knew it was complete crap. It was the crappiest thing he had written in his entire life. Professor Oak had written it in two minutes, and he had done so not even thinking about what he was writing.

Yet, at the same time, he was more proud of this column than he was of any other column he had ever written. It was the most important column of his life.

Professor Oak let the newspaper fall onto his desk, and he lifted his feet off to the ground. His spirits had been revamped. Perhaps there was hope.

But, that was when the phone started to ring. Professor Oak answered in quickly, hoping for the best.

It was the worst.

“Hello?”

“Did you really think,” a cold, deep voice said over the line, “that I wouldn’t see that little stunt you pulled in your column today?”

Professor Oak felt his heart ice over.

“Jimmy…” he said in a soft whisper. “I’m...I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t play dumb father.” Jimmy snapped. “It may be easy for you, but don’t play dumb.”

Professor Oak was silent as he bit down on his lip.

“Do you really think someone besides me will see it and figure it out?” Jimmy asked him in a condescending voice. “Do you really think anyone out there is examining your columns for hidden messages?”

“Yes.” Professor Oak said finally, feeling brave. “People are looking for you Jimmy, and one of them is smart. So much smarter than you and I. And he is going to figure it out.”

Jimmy laughed. It was a cruel, dark laugh.

“Are you so sure?” He laughed again. “Do you have the paper in front of you?...Yes? Then why don’t you turn to page three?”

Professor Oak, not sure what to expect, slowly opened the newspaper to the inside content. His eyes went to page three, and he scanned the headlines.

And then he found it. A small story, tucked in the corner of the page. The headline was what made his heart sink.

Bill Yates Goes Missing

“Have you found it yet?” Jimmy asked, laughing again. Professor Oak didn’t answer him. He couldn’t answer him. “Do you want me to tell you what happened? I walked inside, and I told him who I was. I didn’t kill him immediately – I wanted to see how he would react. Whether or not he would be brave or a coward. Do you know which he was?”

Professor Oak didn’t answer. All hope was gone, and he was starting to look much, much older again.

“I was disappointed father. He was brave. He slammed an emergency button that locked down all his computers and files, keeping those who were helping him safe. He could have tried to get in contact with the police. He could have tried to grab some Pokemon. But he knew it would be pointless. So he was brave. He made a sacrifice.”

Professor Oak was silent still.

“My top engineers are trying to break into his computers, but they aren’t having much success right now. I would do it myself, but my hands are full as I’m rather busy at the moment. I am a little frustrated with myself for allowing him to do that – I had thought he would be a coward. Like you.”

Professor Oak was silent still.

“You don’t really think you were brave by hiding that little message inside your column were you? That was a great cowardly act, not a brave one. But putting that pathetic message in your column, you were hoping someone else would read it and figure it out and then solve your problems for you. At any point and time you could go to the national government, or the Kanto’s Special Services, and tell them everything you know about me. It would of course result in your death and the destruction of your reputation– but you could do it. But you will never do that. You know why? You. Are. A. Coward.”

Professor Oak finally found his voice, and he attempted to defend himself.

“What about you!? You slink in the shadows – you…you’re a coward too!”

“I’m a coward?” Jimmy asked, and then he burst into laughter. “I’m a coward? Please father. I hide in the shadows not out of fear, but out of cunning. Do I need to prove it by making an appearance?”

“NO!” Professor Oak said quickly. “NO! That…that won’t be necessary.”

“That…is what I thought.” His cruel smile could almost be heard through the phone. “Oh, and father, I was wondering…where is Jade?”

Professor Oak didn’t think his heart could get any colder. It did.

“W-Who?”

“Oh please. I figured out long ago that Janine changed her name to Jade. Let’s not play pretend. The one thing I just can’t figure out…where is she? She is supposed to be in Hoenn right now, but she’s not. I have had my agents look there, and in Johto, and in Sinnoh, in Unova, and even the wasteland that is Orre. But she isn’t in any of those places. I was confounded at first. But then…I got to thinking. What if she never left? What if she was right under my nose…the whole time? What if she was still somewhere in Kanto?”

Professor Oak was trembling. No, he told himself. This could not be.

“Well father? Have a struck gold?”

Professor Oak slammed the phone down, hanging up.

He sat down at his desk, stunned. Jimmy Oak was always two steps ahead of him. He had won again.

A knock came at his door, and Professor Oak said in a sad, broken voice.

“Come in.”

A man wearing all yellow entered the lab, carrying a trolley behind him that had a large brown box on it. He was a delivery man. He had a yellow cap on his head, and it was titled down, hiding his eyes. He was tall, muscular, and broad.

“Just…just set it down wherever.” Professor Oak said, not really caring what was in the package at the moment. The man did so, and then offered a clipboard for him to sign. Professor Oak stood up and signed it, not really looking or paying any real attention to the man in front of him. He then sat back down, and rested his head his propped up arm, looking at and studying the package idly.

The deliveryman turned and started walking out, and Professor Oak was still studying the brown package. It was tall, almost seven feet, but it was not very wide. And then, Professor Oak noticed something strange about the box.

It did not have the official yellow seal of Kanto’s Post Office.

“WAIT!” Professor Oak called out suddenly to the deliveryman who had almost reached the door. Professor Oak stood up, feeling a shortness of breath.

The deliveryman turned around slowly, and he raised his head to look Professor Oak right in the eyes.

Professor Oak gasped, and he took several steps back, his hand over his chest.

Jimmy Oak smiled at his father, and waited a few seconds. Finally, he said in a voice that was barely a whisper,

“Your move…father.”

Professor Oak stood there, his entire body trembling. Jimmy Oak stood still, waiting.

Finally, Professor Oak closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and he sat back down at his desk, and started reading the newspaper.

“That’s what I thought.”

And then Jimmy turned around, and he left.

Professor Oak started trembling again, but he waited for a whole ten seconds before getting up.

Then, he leapt up and ran over to the cardboard box that was on the ground. The box lay on its side, the seven feet stretching across the ground. Professor Oak pulled out a pocket knife, and opened the box rapidly, afraid of what might be waiting inside.

Professor Oak opened the box.

And he reeled back in disgust.

In the box was the naked, abused corpse of Bill Yates. His eyes had been gorged out. He had been stabbed multiple times, and there were several gaping holes in his chest. A look of horror was clear on his mouth. His throat had been slashed. His forehead above his eyes was missing. His external genitals were gone.

On his right forearm, inscribed with a knife were the words: “Jimmy was here.”

On his left forearm, inscribed with a knife were the words: “To Daddy.” The Pokemon Professor could almost hear his son laughing at him while he read those words.

Professor Oak stood there rather sadly, looking at the dead body of the smartest man in Kanto. Then, ever so carefully, he closed the box. He covered it with a white bed sheet, and then he pushed it into a corner behind his desk. Then, Professor Oak returned to his desk, and he sat behind it.

He would have to burn the body and destroy it late at night.

---------------------------------------------------------

Jade was standing over her sink washing dishes from her breakfast that morning, when she happened to look out the window above the sink.

Walking out of Professor Oak’s lab was Jimmy Oak.

Jade dropped to the ground, out of the window’s sight, covering her mouth to keep the scream from escaping.

No no no no no no no no… she thought silently to herself. Why was he here? Had he found here? Was he here for Oak? For her? For Daisy? For who? Why was he here? What did he want?

What did he know about William?

The questions sped through her brain at a million miles per hour.

After counting to one hundred, her entire body trembled as she slowly raised herself up to peek outside.

He was gone – out of sight.

But Jade collapsed to the floor all the same. She had no way of knowing if he had left or if he was still lurking around the town. So, Jade stayed there.

And she quietly began to sob.
If you figure out what the message is...double-spoiler-bag it. I won't say whether or not your right, but if you're right you are going to know you are right.

Psyche

February 13th, 2011, 6:12 pm #118

[+] Spoiler
Oak really needs a gun or something, or Jade does. I didn't think Jimmy would be the type to just wander in the open (even with the getup) and be exposed to people seeing him and calling the cops or something. I noticed that last time, but I guess everyone's so afraid of him they wouldn't dare go against him... but they'll die anyway. Hmm.

And I'm not sure of the message.
Crystal story run!

Epsi

February 13th, 2011, 8:07 pm #119

Semi-prediction. At first I thought Johto's vegetable was a typo, but I sea it wasn't.
[+] hebrew

Hrm... the only 'landscape' not mentioned in Oak's Column was the sea.

Since this is one of the original 'Kanto' games, it could mean a location out on the sea, like the Seafoam Islands or Cinnabar Island.

Now, we already know that Val's going to end up in cinnabar in two weeks as prescribed in the last SS Anne chapter. We also briefly met her brother, and know that her dad is the captain of the ship.
The Cinnabar mansion is there, along with the second-last gym leader, Blaine. He must know something. Too bad Bill never got the message.

I also had a thought - several people in their runs have tied their antagonist to Giovanni somehow (like in Verminator's run). I am curious to know whether Jimmy has some sort of connection with Team Rocket, or if he's operating as a separate entity. That could really affect the last gym battle.

TrainerBOB

February 13th, 2011, 11:18 pm #120

[+] replies!
Psyche wrote:
[+] Spoiler
Oak really needs a gun or something, or Jade does. I didn't think Jimmy would be the type to just wander in the open (even with the getup) and be exposed to people seeing him and calling the cops or something. I noticed that last time, but I guess everyone's so afraid of him they wouldn't dare go against him... but they'll die anyway. Hmm.

And I'm not sure of the message.
As the story progresses, guns will show up more and more as things get darker. And Jimmy is cocky and arrogant...
Epsilon wrote:Semi-prediction. At first I thought Johto's vegetable was a typo, but I sea it wasn't.
[+] hebrew
Hrm... the only 'landscape' not mentioned in Oak's Column was the sea.

Since this is one of the original 'Kanto' games, it could mean a location out on the sea, like the Seafoam Islands or Cinnabar Island.

Now, we already know that Val's going to end up in cinnabar in two weeks as prescribed in the last SS Anne chapter. We also briefly met her brother, and know that her dad is the captain of the ship.
The Cinnabar mansion is there, along with the second-last gym leader, Blaine. He must know something. Too bad Bill never got the message.

I also had a thought - several people in their runs have tied their antagonist to Giovanni somehow (like in Verminator's run). I am curious to know whether Jimmy has some sort of connection with Team Rocket, or if he's operating as a separate entity. That could really affect the last gym battle.
That is an interesting speculation...though I won't say yay or nay. :wink:
I'm feeling like Chapter 30 will not be posted tonight...but tomorrow night. :ugh: and :charliebrown:
Who knows though? Stay posted :)