It's been a while since I posted something - mainly due to the nature of my work - and with both of my other runs sadly becoming Inactive (more on that below), I thought I'd try my hand at documenting a project I've been hankering to do for a while - Omega Ruby Contestlocke.
- [+] Rules of the Run
- Standard Nuzlocke rules:
1. Can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in each new area.
1a. Nickname all caught Pokemon. This run's theme is colours.
2. Once a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must either be released or permanently boxed.
Now, the Toughlocke rules:
3. Only TOUGH Pokemon may be used in battle. A TOUGH Pokemon is any Pokemon with a +Def nature. (Bold, Impish, Lax or Relaxed)
3a. Any non-TOUGH Pokemon caught may not be trained or used in battle, but they may be used as HM caddies etc. To this end, the Exp. Share may not be on while non-TOUGH Pokemon are in the party.
3b. Any Pokemon with a neutral nature (Docile, Basful, Quirky, Hardy or Serious) must be Wonder Traded for a non-neutral Pokemon.
4. TOUGH Pokemon MUST learn any TOUGH moves they can learn by level-up. A TOUGH move may not be forgotten unless it is replaced by another TOUGH move, and no other kinds of moves (CUTE etc.) are present.
4b. TOUGH Pokemon can only learn TOUGH TM and HM moves.
5. Only Master-Rank TOUGH Contest winners may challenge the Elite Four.
And finally, the additional rules:
6. Gifts, Eggs and revived Fossils do not count towards the "First encounter" rule.
7. Dupes Clause and Species Clause are in effect.
8. Safari Zone Clause is in effect.
9. Pokemon may not be Super Trained, nor may they be doted on in Pokemon-Amie. (The only exception to the latter is Eevee, provided it is evolved into Sylveon)
10. Legendary Pokemon may be caught, but may not be used in battle, even if they are TOUGH.
11. The run starts once I receive Pokeballs. It is considered COMPLETED if I become Champion. A wipeout will reult in a FAILURE.
- [+] Log Entries
- 1)...The TOUGH Get Going! (below)
2)...The TOUGH Get Recruiting!
3)...The TOUGH Get Badges!
4)...The TOUGH Get Trending!
5)...The TOUGH Get Evolving!
6)...The TOUGH Get HMs!
7)...The TOUGH Get Off Their Ass and Post An Update For The First Time In Nine Months!
- [+] ...The TOUGH Get Going!
- We begin our adventure the way most adventures do - jostling around in the back of a van, our only companion the dim light of a world weary Nintendo SD. (Or Pokenav. I dunno, one or the other.)
Outside, Tropius and Aron frolic. I, for one, want to know what route you can catch both Tropius and Aron on - beats having to slog your way through with a Wingull... But I digress.
I arrive, battered and bruised, in Littleroot Town, just in time to see a jet fly across the sky.
Or is it a Dragon?
On request, I check out the room. I go to set the clock, but it sets itself!
Well, back in my day, we set our game clocks to 11.34pm on purpose, and we liked it that way...!
Mum interrupts our rant to drag us down for Dad's (Norman's) big TV interview, but we missed it. Shame.
So I decide to get out and explore the town - meet some local celebrities such as Power-of-Science guy, Birch's assistant and a Serious-Looking Machine in the lab.
[Insert gratuitous shipping jokes here!]
After several uncomfortable seconds, May leaves to do Trainer stuff and I shortly follow.
A small child (with incredible vulpine hearing) hears someone screaming. Normally, this would be a case for the local authorities, but since the closest thing to that is a teenage girl with a low-level Pokemon, who is preoccupied in another route, I guess it's time for someone else to step up... Go for it, Power-of-Science guy!
I enter Route 101 to discover Professor Birch in a compromising position with a Poochyena. Ignoring his predicament, I grab a Pokeball from his discarded bag and...!
- [+] I choose you, Blue!
Blue the Mudkip - Lv 5(m)
- Moves: Tackle, Growl, Water Gun.
- Relaxed nature. Quick tempered.
- Has Torrent ability.
As thanks, Professor Birch lets us keep Blue as our starter Pokemon - which means we can now walk in tall grass! What a time to be alive!
We skim through Route 101 to Oldale Town with no hassle (Blue gains a level off a passing Wurmple) when a wild Pokemart Employee appears! Mistaking us for novices (bless him), he hands us a bundle of free Potions (currently have 11).
The mart, however, is fresh out of Pokeballs, so I give Blue a check-up at the Centre and move on to Route 103.
Blue gains one more level off a wild Poochyena and Wingull, before we run into May going through her Pokedex. And, to mark the occasion, we battle!
- [+] Vs. Pokemon Trainer May
Treecko lv 5(f)
Since Blue is Relaxed (-Speed), I bet I'll be slower, even with the levels. I just hope she doesn't Absorb the whole way.
- She Pounds while I Growl. Physical combat suits me just fine.
- She Pounds again, I Tackle for a good chunk of damage.
- Another Pound takes Blue to almost half health. My Tackle takes her straight into the red.
- Instead of Absorbing, she Pounds. A Tackle finishes it. Blue still has 12/25 HP left, but sadly no level up from this battle.
Here, the good Professor gives us the latest shiny Pokedex ("latest"? Where's my Rotom, goddammit!), while May hands us 10 spare Pokeballs.
Now that we can catch Pokemon, the 'locke has officially begun!
After a brief, fond farewell from Mum, we head back onto Route 101. May catches up and updates our Pokenav/Nintendo SD with the Dexnav app.
With it, we track our first encounter...
- [+] Ash the Poochyena
Ash the Poochyena, lv 5(m)
- Moves: Fire Fang, Howl.
- Gentle nature. Good endurance.
- Has Quick Feet ability.
Due to the rules, there's a 75% chance I won't be able to use any Pokemon I catch. Pity too - Mightyena's got access to quite a few Tough moves. So Ash will be Boxed at the first opportunity.
- [+] Spoiler alert - we don't.
- Blue straight up kills the first Wingull we spot with a Tackle. Not even a crit, at that. So we can safely assume this was not a Tough Wingull.
One for "Caddies" (which you'll be seeing a lot of) - Ash is deposited in there.
Another for "Valhalla" - hopefully I won't be using this Box...
But that's enough yammering for now. See you next time!
Reader question - What's your favourite starter Pokemon, out of all games released thus far (including Sun and Moon)?
- [+] Apologies
- So, what happened to my other runs, Burying the Hatchet and the Sapphire Cutelocke?
Well, there is a simple explanation - I'm an eejit.
I played both of these games on an emulator on my phone, taking screenshots as I went.
After my last post, I was offered a temporary job which involved travelling around the UK a lot.
This meant, while I could still play the games, I couldn't always have wi-fi access.
Often, when I was done in the evenings, I just wanted to wind down. Writing was really the last thing on my mind.
So I thought, "I'll get as much screenshots of these done during the job, and when I finish, I can just churn the whole thing out in one go. Simple."
Or it would have been, if I hadn't decided to take my phone for a quick dunk in a swimming pool after work. Like I said, "eejit".
So, the phone was gone. I did get a new one, and some of the screenshots transferred over, but alas, the emulator and game data did not.
Hence why these runs had to be called off.
I am sorry for those of you who kept following those runs. Hopefully you'll enjoy this one, even though the style is completely different from what I've done before.