[♥] 200 Strong - a Sapphire Heartlocke

Mattman324
Conqueror of the Oreburgh Gym

June 9th, 2016, 10:34 pm #1

boy it sure is sapphire in here
[+] Rules, Specific Heart rules
1. You may only catch the first Pokemon encountered in any given area.
--1a. Dupes clause: Three strikes, you're out. You get three chances to find a non-duplicate; if you fail, the third encounter is your catch.
--1b. For areas with multiple floors or sections, (c.f. Granite Cave, either side of Route 104, Victory Road) you are only allowed one catch for the whole area, not one catch per floor, with the exception of the Safari Zone (see 1e).
--1c. Shiny clause: On. Any shiny Pokemon may ignore the first-encounter rule.
--1d. Pokemon encountered before obtaining Poke Balls do not count as encounters.
--1e. Safari Zone rules: One encounter per zone (four total). If it flees, it's lost.
--1f. The capture of legendary Pokemon is strictly prohibited.
--1g. If you are in a position where you cannot progress due to needing an HM that cannot be learned by any of your Pokemon, you may catch an HM slave for the task, which cannot be nicknamed and is to be immediately released or permaboxed as soon as possible after passing by the obstacle in question.

2. If a Pokemon faints, it is dead and must be either permanently boxed, or released.

3. Nickname all of your Pokemon! (exception being rule 1g)

4. If you have acquired a Pokemon that has a trade evolution, but have no way to trade, you may hack in the evolution at the point which you could normally get it. (immediately in the case of something like the Machamp line, or after acquiring the appropriate item in the case of something like Kingdra.) matt note: I can trade because VBA-Link.

5. Swim Cap: You may not enter a Gym or the Elite Four with any Pokemon that are above the level of the leader's/Steven's ace.

Base Points

1. Catch a Pokemon: +1
--Getting the starter (as well as any other giftmon such as the Wynaut egg) does not award a point.
--Shiny Pokemon do not award a point unless they are the first encounter.
2. Defeat a Gym Leader, Brendan/May, Maxie/Archie, or an Elite Four member: +1
3. Defeat Steven: +3
4. Lose a Pokemon: -1
5. Lose two Pokemon in the same battle: -2 (in addition to the first -2 from the two deaths)

Achievements!

1. Rolling Deep: +1 for the first time you have six Pokemon in the party.
2. Splashing in the Waves: +1 for each unique Water-type line you catch. (maximum +5)
3. Sand Between Your Toes: +1 for acquiring the Soft Sand.
4. Picnic: +3 the first time your inventory contains all of the following: Lava Cookie, Rare Candy, Fresh Water, Soda Pop, Lemonade and 10 different berries.
5. Fishin' in the Dark: +2 the first time you encounter a wild Feebas on Route 119.
6. Island Getaway: +1 for making a Secret Base on Route 125 or Route 127.
7. Hoenn's Pastime: +2 for winning each rank of a Pokemon Contest. (That's +2 for a Normal Rank win, +2 more for Super, and so on) (limit one achievement per contest level)
8. Beat the Heat: +2 for defeating Flannery without taking a single point of damage.
9. Sunny Skies: +2 for beating every Elite Four member + Steven with a Pokemon that knows Sunny Day in the party, without it fainting.
10. Lifeguard on Duty: +4 for defeating every member of the Swimmer trainer class accessible prior to the Elite Four.
let's go
[+] Part 1: The Part That Goes Before Part 2 But Comes After The Sign-Up

Ugh, I forgot how shit RS's font was. If I had a choice I'd probably pick some sort of A E S T H E T I C S patch that fixes that, but I don't know of any and that might be breaking rules.

Looking back I probably should have named this thing J. Liger, but oh well.

I had all my settings already done from the last time I did a run of Sapphire.

...Which was also for an Event Run! Huh. Didn't finish that run though.

Remember back when Gen 3 had no fucking good rivals? That was sure fun. (1)

Please for fuck's sake just evolve the way I want you to so the name makes sense you're not getting use after Brawly either way. (2)

Must avoid naming entire everything after Zoids.

MUST AVOID (3)

Ah, shit, you're not a Lotad. (4)

HOLY FUCK YES YOU ACTUALLY DID IT FOR ONCE.

Excellence why are you so terrible at this.

I named you after a supporter.

You're supposed to pick up the items.

Wow man, you were close to suffering the usual fate of Command Wolves.

BUT I WANT
YOU
TO KNOW
MY FATE
BEFORE
MY EVERY
HOPE
FADES AWAY

TAKE MY BREATH AWAY

Saikyuu gattai!

(I seem to remember a game that let you rename Pokemon when they evolved. I should go find that game at some point, it was pretty ok even if the plot was fucking weird and the starter gets a powerup that breaks the game open)

(also 5)

Oh for fuck's sak- I CAN'T EVEN USE THIS PROPERLY IN THIS RUN. If I'm going to fight other people, I have to have things that at least work out competitively.

...wait, but this isn't just Gen 3. It's... hmm. Actually, you might be more useful than I initially thought. Still would have VASTLY preferred Shroomish, but then maybe something I can use before the E4 is better.

We at Mattman324 Industries would like to remind you that a good portion of the names have horribly stupid double meanings, whether it is that we name butterflies after butterflies, or name Pokemon that never move after things that never move. (6)

My Command Wolf is superior to yours.

I want A Whismur, not TWO Whismurs.

Obligatory Whismur. (7)

Now watch my luck with rares throw a fucking Skitty at me or something stupid like that.

oh.

or this.

The name is as obvious as ever, but fuck you it's my name. (8)

I didn't actually see as Skitty until quite a bit later in fact.

I guess technically I didn't grind Excellence Rescue as much as the rest so it isn't a team member, so this is the first time I had an actual trained team together, so (9) for Achievement 1.

Also: Everyone is at level 15 going into the gym.

Not all Level 15 is created equal.

In fact...

Sometimes it's quite unequal.

Unfortunately I only brought those two to the brink so I couldn't get Command Wolf a level before Roxanne too.

Doesn't particularly matter though. (10)

Ninjas: It's super!

Surprisingly enough, saw one of these before a Magikarp. And it was level 5.

But hey, knight of gems and all. (12 because Achievement 2)

DON'T WANNA KNOW WHY EVERYBODY READY GET IT ON (14 because Achievement 2)

So anyway I repelled past the first floor of the cave because I always do (it doesn't excite me that much. Hariyama's good but available elsewhere, Geodude is good but I use it fairly often, Abra's on every floor, and Zubat's Zubat - but the second floor has Mawile/Sableye and Aron!), and what do I find?

Something pretty good.

I accept this.

You're gonna go FAR, kid. (15)

It bugs me that his favorite move is the one that, like, four Steel Types can learn and that's it. And his ace isn't one of them.

yesssssss

(16 because Achievement 3)

Oooo, I was expecting Wingull or Electrike but I will certainly take yoGET THAT SONG OUT OF MY HEAD DAMNIT. (17)

And then I grinded to Level 18, the level of Brawly's ace.

It was fruitful. (I can't show a picture of the evolution because doing that pauses the game long enough for it to go "THE GAME HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED YOU HAVE TO DO IT OVER AGAIN" and that's not something I'm ever thrilled about doing.)

I have a full month to decide my final team in, I like keeping my options open.

Even to the things that aren't very likely to be on it. Still, Command Wolf is at least not in poor Oukaoh's "probably boxing for like forever after this gym" position yet.

Anyway this gym would have been a threat if not for my team all being at the brink of Level 19 waiting to level up.

All of them did so before Brawly.

ZINV did it again after soloing the rest of the gym and Brawly himself.

(18)
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
29 Perfect nuzlockes. 142 caught in one of them. SAIKYOU NO NUZLOCKER

My most recent one? An event run!

DistortionLocke
Conqueror of the Viridian Gym

June 10th, 2016, 1:18 am #2

I wish I could've told you ahead of time that you could've traded your Slakoth for a Makuhita in Rustboro. But you probably won't need it given you have a badass Kadabra on your team...

"Sandanbeki Rock Cliff -1 (June 2018)" by Tetsuhiro Terada is licensed under CC BY 4.0/Text added onto original photo
[+] Spoiler
"Crown 3" by mjtmail (tiggy) is licensed under CC BY 4.0/Text added onto original photo

NightmareAura
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym

June 10th, 2016, 8:34 pm #4

I should get back to Zoids at some point. It's been years.

Are talking about an actual Pokemon game or a hack, because I don't think that exists.

I'm going to get a Zubat, I just know it. GG with the Abra catch.
Photobucket has stopped hosting pictures for free. I'm slowly, but surely, replacing picture links. This includes runs I've already completed so please bare with me. I think I have found a bypass for Photobucket. Sort of... EDIT: There seems to be a Add-on for Chrome to view Photobucket pictures. Seems to work fine for me, but you choose whether it's worth it.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Trainer and Seviper: The Moemon Forever Challenge
Till Death Do Us Part: A Platinum Wedlocke
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

June 14th, 2016, 1:28 am #5

[+] Replies
@DistortionLocke: Hariyama is of little use to me. Machop is fairly common (and it turned out that I got one) and is more useful by far, and the chance of getting a Makuhita later existed. But it's not something I particularly needed either. Slaking is bad for a number of reasons, but it hits deadly hard and might be of use.

@Kazzius: If only it had any way at all to combat Dark types. Alakazam destroys FRLG since its only resists are the almost-unused Magneton and Psychics (which you can actually deal good damage to with Thief), but it struggles more in a game where its best way of stopping such simple things as Mightyena is fucking Shock Wave.

@NightmareAura: It was a game. And it's a cool game.
[+] Part 2: I spend three paragraphs talking about 2.5 turns in a single battle.

I'll worry about Contests a bit later. Depends on what I catch in the desert, my #2 Most Wanted Thing for that place would blow the contest scene open.

And then I beat Aqua in this place.

A bit of a fun fact - you don't ACTUALLY need money to get in this first time! Yeah, you can get in for as low as 0$. It only works this one time though (although since you never need to go in again...). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find video evidence of this.

And now that Tobikage is ready...

So is this guy. Unfortunately, for all its utility, Shedinja has serious difficulty getting grinded up to level, so Zero here got boxed eventually. Oh well.

God I love Gyarados when it isn't Gen 2. It's so reliably great.

Cool.

Time for the Rival!

Perfect, that works as well as I remember it. (19)

The problem with Shedinja - the major, "I can't use this thing" problem - is that there's SO MANY DAMN WAYS TO KILL IT. Most Grass types in this region get by it through Poison Powder, Leech Seed, Effect Spore/Poison Point, or just some residual way, there's a lot of SE moves on things that aren't getting STAB (most notably Rollout and Astonish, but also occasionally Pursuit), Future Sight kills it later in the game, Sandstorm kills it, Confusion kills it, Paralysis destroys it even if it doesn't kill it... and the AI knows all of this and will automatically switch in a Shedinja killer if they have one.

I usually take the Acro Bike when I'm not specifically exploring areas that need Mach. With Emulator Turbo + the Mach Bike, it's very difficult to control the MC, but Acro works fairly well.

And that...

Is all the Winstraits wrote.

Also Wally.

Oh? Well, you're certainly a useful little fellow. I expected Roselia since I tend to get them from this route, but had a nagging suspicion the game would foist Volbeat on me. (Or Illumise, but at least Illumise is a competent battler. Volbeat's big thing is a boost move that it can't even fucking use.)

Adamant nature, too. I guess that means Vileplume instead of Bellossom, not like that's much of a question normally (unfortunately).

(20)

Just going to pick this up while I'm here.

wooooo it has acid so it can deal actual damage now.

Namefixes. Webdiver becomes the name it should actually have had, Sorakage does a this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zgd-q_NhbM

(EDIT: Ok I can't fucking get the thing to work, skip to 8:33)

Team going into the gym.

Me coming out of the gym. Didn't even really use the other guys outside of getting them a level. (21)

FUCK WAIT I FORGOT TO PICK UP STRENGTH. (22)

One of the possible neat things about a Ruby run is that I could have caught the amazingly competent Weezing - albeit a Weezing without Will O Wisp since that's an Egg Move - but this is Sapphire, getting a Weezing would be FAR too much in terms of luck. With that in mind I'm happy with Numel, since it's not like anything else would have been terribly amazing and it's actually ok. (Muk is probably better, but its best sets require either breeding or Emerald anyway so whatever.)

(23)

Unfortunately, although you're capable of doing it, I can't go back to the other side of the Rock Smash rock until I can (and do) catch something from the desert.

Can't have a "fuck that fucking rock" clause on this run.

Today I'd like to talk about the proper use of Repels for capturing things in RSE. On Route 113, every Pokemon is available at Level 16, and all of the bottom rungs of the capture chart are filled with Level 16s. The tops are filled with the Spindas and Sandshrews (Slugmas in Emerald) of lower levels, and the top rungs are all more common, which is why you see more of them. However, with a Pokemon at level 16, you can repel those encounters, making only the rarer encounters show up.

You are not guaranteed a Skarmory, unfortunately. But it makes the chance so much better that there's no reason to not do it! Who knows, you might even catch one of these magical birds yourself.

DI SU TO PI A (24)

Oh hey, neat. I'm not going to use you because Lombre is eh, but that's another Water Type at least - not like I needed one since I'm basically guaranteed Wailmer + Sharpedo + Underwater Catch + Wingull in the later parts of the game and that's more than enough for the extra points - and it COULD be useful I guess. We'll see. (26 thanks to Achievement #2)

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Game being a butt aside... I got the three important Flutes.

Neat. I think Lunatone would have been slightly better, but this is totally alright with me. (27)

So you say.

VERY NICE.

That was surprisingly difficult.

Mostly because he couldn't be swept by ZINV since two Dark types. (28)

Bleh. If I use you, it'll be because I need one very specific thing. (29)

Need to come back to stock up here in the far future.

But first I need to get more Flamethrowers and Thunderbolts and Ice Beams and Secret Powers.

You can get one Return TM a week later in the game, and hopefully I only need two or three because I doubt I'll be able to get that many from the guy at current pace.

This rock bothers me.

Good! Now go to the box.

NINJAS DOING NINJA THINGS.

THIS I LIKE.

Team for the gym.

Team by the end of the gym. Damnit, Falsaber's not strong enough to make it to Tentacruel.

Ok, so THIS BATTLE.

The Slugmas are an OHKO with Bubblebeam, we all know that. Torkoal? Not nearly as easy. None of my team had SE except Falsaber, but Falsaber's not strong enough to make an OHKO and I know that (as it turns out from testing after I did it, it was barely strong enough to 2HKO and it wasn't a guaranteed thing.) But Flannery's AI typically goes for Attract if she can, although it's not a precise thing.

What happened here, what got me the win, were three cases of luck. First, Supersonic hit on the first try. Then, she hit herself in confusion immediately. Then, on the next turn, she used Attract after my Bubblebeam - Torkoal is piss slow and Tentacool isn't, the thing was going second - and on my second Bubblebeam I got the kill thanks to the built up Confusion damage.

Now, that's not an extraordinarily large amount of luck. Number of different times aside, I think the percent chance was still higher than a Critical Hit in normal circumstances (55%, 50%, 50% vs a single 6.25%). How that interacts with Flannery's AI's use of Attract, no idea, since unlike in Gen 1 the AI isn't just "25% chance at each move unless one is SE", but the end result is me spending three short paragraphs explaining how I managed to beat Flannery without taking damage.

30, except 32 thanks to Achievement 8.

Next time I go beat up a bunch of Swimmers.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

NightmareAura

June 14th, 2016, 1:58 am #6

I bet you want a Baltoy to use Claydol for the contests.

I can almost guarantee that I'm not get the bonus for beating Flannery without taking damage. Unless I have similar luck like you.
Photobucket has stopped hosting pictures for free. I'm slowly, but surely, replacing picture links. This includes runs I've already completed so please bare with me. I think I have found a bypass for Photobucket. Sort of... EDIT: There seems to be a Add-on for Chrome to view Photobucket pictures. Seems to work fine for me, but you choose whether it's worth it.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Trainer and Seviper: The Moemon Forever Challenge
Till Death Do Us Part: A Platinum Wedlocke
[+] Spoiler

DistortionLocke

June 14th, 2016, 1:12 pm #8

That indeed sounds like some good luck. How'd you learn about the AIs, btw?

"Sandanbeki Rock Cliff -1 (June 2018)" by Tetsuhiro Terada is licensed under CC BY 4.0/Text added onto original photo
[+] Spoiler
"Crown 3" by mjtmail (tiggy) is licensed under CC BY 4.0/Text added onto original photo

Arbitrary

June 14th, 2016, 6:13 pm #10

Tentacruel and Gyarados are pretty generic to use in a Nuzlocke and they're exp sinks, but they're so good that it doesn't matter. Especially as you can get them literally anywhere and they look hardcore. Nice job so far!

Hayfever

June 29th, 2016, 5:41 am #11

Wow, nice job getting Beat the Heat. I've seen people get it a few different ways, from Zazzius' rare candy trick to relying on pure luck, but I think you're the first to actually take the statistical analysis approach.

For what specific reason would you need the Spoink?
Various Event Runs
For Want of Claritin?: a young boy's journey of self-discovery and chronic rhinitis [2016 Summer Communitylocke] (Completed)
Through Rosa-Filtered Lenses: an intrepid adventure to find the Pinkest of Pok?mon! (Dead)
My Dearest Friend: reminisce with an old man as he recalls his youthful misadventures
spanning across twenty years and seven generations! [Ultimate Communitylocke Season One] (Dead)

Mattman324

July 9th, 2016, 11:05 pm #12

Oh god I'm running out of time. Too bad about that TWELVE DAY WAIT fucking with this update, it might have come out much sooner if not for that.

...Three people have won so far, huh. All life form data has been copied.
[+] Replies
@NightmareAura: Actually my first hope was Trapinch, Baltoy being second. Cacnea would have been cool but likely unused, and Sandshrew... well Sandshrew is shit.

@Kazzius: I wouldn't call it terribly elegant, it's still luck based.

@DistortionLocke: Play a game a couple thousand times and you start to learn its tricks.

@Miekiki: It really is. Too bad there's no Swords Dance in this game to REALLY make it fun.

@Arbitrary: Getting the most value out of the least valuable things is part of being good!

@Hayfever: I have a very good reason. But it's not one I'll say, because it's tying into what I intend to do for this run's endgame.

You'll see~
Pay attention to the next few days, I'm going to update a LOT in them.
[+] Part 3: Only one gym this time, most of the update is swimmers and me complaining about dumb mechanics.

The Desert.

The best encounter there is Trapinch, as Trapinch can either be left unevolved and turned into a right bastard or evolved into a quite useful Flygon - the best Dragon Type this thing has, as it beats Altaria handily and we can't use Rayquaza or Salamence obviously (I did have one Sapphire Nuzlocke where I caught a Salamence. Good times were had.). The second best is Baltoy, not because Claydol is particularly AMAZING (it's not bad) but because it's the best Pokemon in the game for Contests. Cacnea is ok, but really nothing special, Vileplume kicks the shit out of it for one. And Sandshrew is bad since its entire movepool is reliant on TMs and Tutors that don't exist yet.

Contest Pokemon it is!

There is no other name that really works for a Pokemon who's entire career is contests in my mind. (33)

Not using either of these in all likelihood.

oh no

tauburn is over the level cap

oh no

tauburn is over the next level cap even though i evolved him late

i guess i can't use it for gyms now

what a shame

I sometimes forget to pick these up.

Not today though.

Tauburn, of course, can't be used for gyms, but considering his moves include Selfdestruct and mostly nonoffensive stuff that's kind of a given anyway. After all, Swim Cap only applies to the things you bring into the gym, not things that you keep in the box.

COME ON AND SLAM

AND WELCOME TO THE JAM (34)

And now the best part of the run.

SWIMMER HUNTING.

Get your goggles on we're going on a trip.

Not getting this catch quite yet.

IT BEGINS. (36, except 37 from Splashing In The Waves' fourth point)

pootis spencer

(38)

Yay.

Now to not use you much more because of the cap on the next gy-HOLY FUCK THE NEXT GYM HAS A CAP OF FUCKING 33 I NEED TO STOP THIS NOW.

Cleared out every Swimmer on the way to Dewford though.

You know I did this before OGMD released.

Kind of ironic all things considered.

Especially because it's the code that gives the Spelon Berry, and my Tauburn is Adamant. Meaning it gets value from Cool things.

uh

why isn't my spelon growing

what the fuck is going on

bulbapedia give me a hand

>72 hour growth cycle

WHY DO SPELON BERRIES TAKE THREE FUCKING DAYS TO GROW.

WHO THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD FUCKING IDEA. I GREW TONS OF COPIES OF ALL THE BEST BERRIES IN THE GAME IN THAT TIME JUST TO BREAK THE FUCKING MONOTONY.

OH, BUT YOU KNOW THE WORST FUCKING PART?

YOUR REWARD FOR THREE FUCKING DAYS OF NURTERING A SPELON BERRY IS TWO FUCKING BERRIES.

YOU HAVE A NET GAIN OF _ONE_ BERRY FOR ALL THIS SHIT.

THAT MEANS THAT TO MAX A POKEMON'S STAT, YOU NEED TO WAIT FOR TWELVE FUCKING DAYS TO FINISH THIS SHIT.

TWELVE.

FUCKING.

DAYS.

And the worst part is, since I was at Swim Cap for half my team, I couldn't even go on a grinding adventure, since that'd put me over!

I did spend a lot of random time walking around though, so this became a thing.

And by the end of it I had plenty of Gold and Purple Pokeblocks.

Enough to max out Tauburn easily, and get this. And once you have that all set up, and your Claydol has the right moves...

Everything just... sings...

(I had that going for literally the entire Contests. Even though it's the Winter song and this is a Summer thing.)

(I'll probably have Aria of Autumn Colors on for the Master Rank)

(as a final aside, if I weren't limited to 1 ribbon per class as a thing that can give points, I'd do the entire Beginner's Class, all five, and win. It's entirely doable with this setup.)

(44)

Didn't do the stuff down there YET, have to get past Winona first to move the Swim Cap to a more reasonable 40. (45)

Not using. (46)

I was bound to find a dupe eventually. (47)

(not one encounter later I saw Tropius. Damnit.)

Too bad this doesn't get me points.

TOOK LONG ENOUGH TO FIND ONE. (49 by Achievement 5)

You poisoned a Swellow.

Bad move. (50)

NEXT TIME: We get our kicks on Route 66.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

July 11th, 2016, 12:48 pm #14

[+] reply
@Kazzius: IT'S THE FUCKING PRINCIPLE OF THE MATTER OK
[+] Part 4: Don't forget Winona

eh (51)

Were this version of Dupes Clause different I could guaruntee one of these things.

Too bad.

That'll be useful soon.

And then I totally forgot to give this to Magneton, and it didn't matter because Spark worked on everything I expected it to work on.

Oh also I never mentioned it but this happened at some point. Figured I'd point it out before a team shot showed up in the future or something.

FUCK YOU'RE OVER THE SWIM CAP LEVEL AND ACTUALLY MATTER. Oh well, not using Gyarados to beat Altaria, I'll have to go with plan B then.

Sky Goldran's the one who I would have left behind if I could have Mazinkaiser on the team.

And this is the team before the leader. Three mons who couldn't beat a Magneton if they tried, and an Altaria.

The Altaria couldn't beat Crobat at base, and as it happily turns out, I could beat it with Crobat before it could escalate to the point that it could.

Now I have a level cap that isn't functionally retarded. (52)

IT'S LOTS AND LOTS OF TRAINS!

swimmers

I got the stuff on the way here through from Petalburg, now for the two remaining routes on the way to Slateport. (53)

swimmers

Because I'm not using it. (54, except 55. That's the fifth proc and thus the final one.)

And that covers all the Swimmers between Petalburg and Slateport. I think. I certainly fought all of them, might have missed a screenshot.

Can't fight the moonlight~

Actually, wait, that means it's time to evolve.

Much better.

meh (56)

Aside from having caught that one here there's nothing big to it.

I could have used that a gym ago, but then, the only thing it could really have gone on was Mazinkaiser anyway, I'm not dumb enough to send a level 33/4 Tentacruel against an Altaria with Earthquake.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

what

Strange and unexplained glitches aside... Not getting the 134 catch because I want to try for Horsea. (57)

Not using, mostly because Banette is pretty cruddy. (58)

TOOK FUCKING LONG ENOUGH. I usually try to have a final form for the starter by Norman or Flannery, not fucking after Winona. This is why I hate level caps.

And this is why I hate Master Rank contests.

Anyway on the second attempt it actually worked. (60)

Awesome. No art in the actual museum but actually pulling that one off basically requires you to have the luck of a fucking god (or, if memory serves, three friends to snooker into letting you get it) and I don't care enough for it.

man that was easy (61)

Maybe now I'll get you a move that isn't fucking Strength for offense, yeah?

NEXT TIME: I finish up a few old things, take out some Aqua goons, and probably beat up Tate and Liza for pocket change because they're one of the easiest gym leaders in RSE.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

July 12th, 2016, 8:31 am #15

[+] Part 5: The Great Hoenn Sea, Part 1

One... (62)

Two... (63)

Three... (64)

FOUR! YES! (65)

Heh.

Heh heh.

You know what the funniest part is?

This thing is still shit.

I like Pokemon that can withstand papercuts personally, and Raichu likes having an Attack stat that isn't fundamentally borked by nature.

I've already shown off my berries before with the Spelons, and honestly, if you don't have ten unique types of berries by this point, you fucked up.

(68)

(69)

(from the Jigglypuff route)

(70)

(from 122)

You can slowly see my naming scheme falling into "god I don't care about any of these shits anymore" if you watch. (71)

You're cool though. (72)

I feel that even when I do punny names, they're ones that won't get caught by like anyone reading this. (73)

YOU ARE NOT ARCHIE.

GET OUT OF MY WAY.

And this is now the theme of the update.

I think, at one point in this update, there was a repeat trainer where I fought one through Trainer Eye after doing it the first time. I am not, however, certain of this. Either way I'll be scouring the Great Hoenn Sea within the next two updates to ensure I haven't missed anyone, will probably finish everyone off soon after Liza and Tate (there's one you have to Dive to, right? Well, either way, I'll go check the guides after I'm done)

On the same island Shoal Cave is on no less. (74)

If at some point that music runs out, feel free to find more, there's really not much big in this update. It's mostly documentation of things that matter for points but not in any real mattering way.

I mean I'm not adding any of these things to my team really. If I was, they'd have names. (75)

Like this. This is a name. (76)

Oh good, Natural Cure's really the only thing I ask out of these, good to know it also doesn't have SpA or Speed reducing natures (Lonely isn't good but it doesn't hurt things I care about)

More trainers.

Hey, as an aside, do the swimming Triathletes count as Swimmers? I took a picture of a few of those too.

eh (77)

I may have missed getting a mass of Returns, but I didn't miss getting a few of these at least.

The continued adventures of getting four fucking points by taking out most of the trainers on water routes that literally compose half the fucking region.

seriously why did they think that was a good idea.

(78)

I guess that makes you Cerberion now. Or would that be Golemon?

...Wait, no one here has seen that show. Fuck.

trainers

So I'm actually entirely unsure as to why these two were in this order as opposed to the other way around in my screenshots folder. In fact, 128 should have been before some of those trainers.

Eh, unimportant in the end. (80)

this fucking game

(81)

NEXT TIME: Seriously, there's 34 routes in Hoenn, and 17 of them are Water routes. That's half the game. Why is that a thing.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

July 13th, 2016, 6:36 am #16

[+] Part 6: The Battle Begins Now, SO DIVE!

Don't worry, this update is the end of the trainer swarm.

(82)

ALMOST

(83)

A
L
M
O
S
T

(84)

Man, what is my luck with held items recently? My Staryu had a Stardust, even. (85)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWjAL1xZPY

STAY ON TARGET

And that about sums up the Great Hoenn Sea in terms of catches. There's still Sootopolis, the Underground Tunnel or whatever it was called, and Underwater left though. (87)

SO CLOSE I CAN TASTE IT.

JUST GOT TO GET THE ONE BEHIND DIVE.

Meanwhile, return to grinding route to finally get this shit done.

So, I know most people seem to think this is some stupid thing related to finding Deoxys on the moon, and I want to help people, so let's point out what this actually is. The Rocket Launch number is how many weeks it's been since you started the game. This is important because every time the number changes, a man in Pacifidlog will give you a Return or Frustration TM.

Unfortunately I can't get more than one Return from him. Damn.

So anyway team before Liza and Tate.

...yeah, not really a threat here.

They're not hard in Emerald and they're not hard here.

You know what will be hard though?

You see my level 43s from this gym?

They're banned from Wallace if they level up one more time.

(88 by the way)

This one's actually useful! Albeit worse than Starmie, but still, totally useful. (89)

NOW.

IF MY COUNT IS NOT OFF.

AND IF MY LENGTHY SEARCHING ISN'T OFF EITHER.

THAT'S THE FUCKING LAST OF THEM.

(93)

why does it take so damn long to get a Water Stone in this game.

i mean it's not GSC terrible stupid but still.

(94)

:V

Would you know that I don't even have Thunderbolt on this thing yet? I got that afterwards. (95)

(96)

So, funny story. There's Sableye in here. They're pretty common. Saw three Zubats and Golbats before I saw one of them. (97)

OK SO CAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS FOR A SECOND.

KYOGRE COMES STOCK WITH AUTOMATIC RAIN AND FUCKING HYDRO PUMP.

THE NEXT GYM LEADER'S ACE IS 43.

SO YOU HAVE TO GO INTO THIS THING UNDERLEVELED.

IT ALSO HAS CALM MIND SO YOU'RE NOT OUTSTALLING IT.

THIS IS BULLSHIT.

...I apparently missed the shot, but Heroman the Magneton lived a +1 Ice Beam with like 37 or so HP (or was it a crit Body Slam? I dunno) and managed to get a KO before Kyogre got a chance to kill it.

Sasuga Heroman.

NEXT TIME: A short update as I take on Wallace and get to the Elite Four and then grind for a day or two after a quick deliberation as to who I want on my highly trained anti-player murder squad Elite Four elimination team.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

July 14th, 2016, 8:05 am #17

One last minor update before the end.
[+] Part 7: The Assembly At The End Of The School Year

It's funny, when I did this in the first place, the intention was to potentially use the thing. (98)

forgot to take a shot before entering the gym

it was just this team all at 43

soul saber is officially the first mon to get more than one level up in a gym

And then he didn't solo because I wanted something else to handle the Whiscash. (99)

So after a small elimination of a few mons (Gorg and Kokuboga had no chance unfortunately), I finally decided to strip the team down to essentials.

That'll do.

Next, the EV checking. Turns out none of these except Mazinkaiser were maxed, though that's obvious in Kuromukuro's case, so I did some grinding, which meant...

finally picking this up.

(Do not ask me how Blaziken still had EVs left over. It apparently was still in the mid 300s, at that. I don't know.)

I also got this as a temporary thing because Baurus needed a move that was better than fucking Acid.

And then I went to all the things that needed Waterfall in the region.

It's a small list.

A ROUND 100 POINTS!

...or so I thought.

Time for Victory Road.

lol winstrait

and that's a wrap for you.

The grind shall continue... after these messages.

So, running tally. First box has 30 mons, second has 27, 6 things in my party - one doesn't count because it's a gift (Blaziken). 65 points. 5 extra points from Water Types, so 70. 1 point for having 6 mons in my party, 1 for getting the Soft Sand, 3 for having a menagerie of food and drinks, so 75. Found a Feebas for 2, made a Secret Base on 125 for 1, beat Flannery without taking damage for 2, so 80. All four Hoenn Contest ranks were done at 2 apiece, so 88. Beat every Swimmer in the game, so 4 more, so 92. 8 Gym Leaders, 2 Archie battles, 4 May battles...

Wait, that's 106. Where did I miscount?

Ok but that aside, it's 4 points for the four other Elite Four members, 2 points for beating them all with a Sunny Day mon alive, and 3 for Steven, which means the max total points in this run is 115. A good number.

NEXT TIME: I show off what my training has done, and we end this run with a final bang, just in time for the event to end.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Mattman324

July 15th, 2016, 5:40 am #18

And this is the end of the line.
[+] Part 8: TOKIHANATE! HAGANE NO YAIBA!

Ialdabaoth, you've proven to be quite powerful this run, as most Blazikens I've used are. You're not learning Sky Uppercut because no one needs Brick Break and I don't like the accuracy drop required (if I needed a low accuracy move I'd use the significantly better Fire Blast), but even without that, you'll be great this run.

Mazinkaiser, you're basically fucking standard competitive set - no Taunt because I really don't need it - so that's nice. Good pull on your HP, really - I had some overall good ones this run, though I didn't use most of them.

Baurus, that Adamant nature kind of hamstrings me, you'd much rather be spamming Sunnybeam most of the time but Sludge Bomb is going to be generally more useful from you. Oh well. You're not going to be useful in the E4 much anyway, I needed a Sunny Day mon and you actually had Chlorophyll so there we go.

Kuromukuro, I saved training you for when I was done with the game so I could EV train you, and what do you know, you're going to be fucking amazing in the role I've given you.

Assault Galient, you've been a pretty consistent team member, and I'm kind of saddened by not being able to feed you my one Sludge Bomb copy. Oh well. You're still pretty great for the roles where you're used in.

Soul Saber, you're a Starmie, if you weren't good there'd be some shenanigans afoot, considering Starmie is literally the most consistently good Pokemon in every generation (Gengar is inconsistent in that it keeps getting new shit, Zapdos has been UU a few times - though never for terribly long - so yeah it's Starmie).

This is what I'm going into the E4 with.

Did you see those Rare Candies?

Good.

Because now that I'm in one of their rooms, I can use those. One last abuse of that rule.

If you ever give me a level cap, I will do what I can to make that level cap look really stupid. Every time.

Sidney's team of five shit pokemon (ok, one half decent pokemon that he uses poorly and four shit pokemon) are handled easily, in other news grass is some manner of plant.

Now time for Phoebe.

Half her team is a shitty Pokemon, a fifth of her team is a REALLY shitty Pokemon, and two of her mons have absolutely no offensive presence. This isn't hard.

It must really suck being an Ice trainer in a fucking tropical zone with two ice types in it.

The remakes did at least think to give her Froslass or a Mega Glalie, right? Because this shit is fucking depressing.

Oh hey, a guy with a half threatening team.

Too bad about that Ice weakness, the only thing not 4x weak is so specially shit it may as well be. Kingdra helps his team SO MUCH by just existing on his Emerald squad.

The upside-down part about this fight is that usually one of his teams is worthy of the greatest of mockings, but today it's actually the thing I want to see least.

See, I want to get some extra Spikes damage on his Pokemon, which means Spikes ROAR ROAR ROAR ROAR ROAR. And most of his team can't beat Skarmory so that's fine... except, in this gen, his Aggron's moveset is ENTIRELY SPECIAL (Solarbeam/Thunder/Dragon Claw/Protect IIRC) and Thunder will ream Skarmory.

I still got one hit on everything not Cradily, and of course SPECIAL SWEEPING AGGRON isn't going to be hurting anything past a 4x weak or with Skarmory's vulnerability. (I did have some luck using one with Blizzard once ingame, to beat some of Drake's team with. It worked out absurdly well all things considered.)

With Cradily down it's basically game. I mean, technically, he has Spikes down and could probably deal damage to my team that way, but Shell Bell, Blaziken's going to take down the majority of his team and will recover easily.

Man I bet you wish Bullet Punch was a thing.

Not that it'd help, but it'd do SOMETHING.

Yeah, maybe I went a little TOO HARD. Oh well. Starmie could have solod his team with Spikes down tbh it's really fucking OP like that.

Oh well. You gave me a level cap, I was complied to hit that cap.

Don't feel so bad, Steven, this is probably the first time ever that Special Sweeping Aggron ever did anything at all.

lol may

you get the fuck out may and feel free to return when you become a rival that's worth shit

aka never

wally is significantly better since now I can rematch him forever and he gives good exp

So, I know the name of the topic might have been an odd thing to some of you. And now that we're done, I'd like to point out why I named it that.

Look up "200 metagame pokemon".

JL_muserwolves wrote:ATTENTION HEARTS PLAYERS: Do you fancy yourself a battle against other Nuzlockers... with your Nuzlocke team?

For all Hearts players, there will be a twist... a Mid-Summer Invitational! Every player that completes the Hearts playthrough by the deadline, regardless of points total, will be invited to take part in a (completely optional!) tournament with their in-game team (level-adjusted) against other Nuzlockers who've done the same! All you need to do to enter is take a screenshot of each of the individual information of your six Pokemon (stats, held item, nature, etc.) immediately before you fight Steven, regardless of if the Elite Four has caused any deaths.

Depending on interest, this tournament will take place on Pokemon Showdown following the close of the event at the deadline, with matchups (and prizes!) to be determined.

This is Mattman324, capping the 29th, and I'll see you all at the games.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler