Talost Goes to Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum

Don't drop the soap!

Talost Goes to Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum

Talost
28% Armaments Designer
Talost
28% Armaments Designer

25 Jan 2009, 07:27 #1

I just got back from the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, the best air museum in the state and one of the greatest in the country. I posted my pictures from my last visit… somewhere, possibly in the Pictures thread, but I have more now. The museum is huge now, three times the size it was, invorporating an IMAX theater, two restaurants, several daycare/play center things, an air museum and a space museum, along with workshops for restoring aircraft and armor.

Now, I didn’t bother to snap photos of the plaques denoting each object, so bear with me if I don’t remember the names of some of the aircraft. If you have an idea, please let me know. In fact, despite spending 4 hours wandering the museum, we didn’t have enough time to read most of the plaques at all. I would have stayed much longer, but the blasted place closed on us. Anyway, my father (you can see him in a lot of pictures; black sweater, blue jeans) and I started outside the aviation museum:

Shooting Star

MiG-15. This particular one was constructed in China for use in the Vietnam War, but was eventually sold to the United States.

Various Soviet armored vehicles parked outside. You can’t see them all in this shot, but there are two T-34s, a T-55, two wheeled APCs and a tracked one.

One of the APCs. I can’t identify it, and there was no plaque. Anyone know what this is? EDIT: TWSP says this is the BRDM-2. EDIT #2: Sumer thinks it's the FUG-70 with some anti-aircraft weaponry. You be the judge. EDIT #3: We know it's a FUG-70 for sure.

Another APC. Any idea? Is it the same as the one above? EDIT: As is this one

T-55

BMP/D, I think. I can’t tell which. The gun is freaking massive, I’m shocked it even fits in such a small turret. Which model is this? EDIT: TWSP to the rescue again. PT-76

T-34 #2

Close-up of T-34 #1’s armor. It’s… just sheets of metal welded together…

Beachcraft Starship. Really awesome $4m private aircraft with variable geometry canards, pusher-props and all-composite construction, the first plane to do so.

Corsair II, baby!

Shot up the tailpipe of the Corsair II. Note the afterburner nozzles.

DC-3 in Operation Overlord scheme. IIRC this particular one actually ran airmail after the war…

Sikorsky S-58 (I think) with its engine exposed. Look at the size of that motor!

Kamen

Sikorsky H-5. It’s a really weird helicopter close-up

Ford Tri-Motor

Original interior of the Tri-Motor. Behind the camera is a closet/restroom, I was unable to tell which (it was roped off)

Various helicopters. The one in the foreground has agricultural equipment attached, and the one on the right (Bell 47) was what my dad learned to fly in. This particular one is also seen in the opening credits of MASH. I don’t remember what the one on the left is. EDIT: Crookfur believes the mystery chopper to be a Schweizer 300, while Munchy says that the agricultural one is an OH-23 Raven.

YAK-50 acrobatic/trainer. Note the giant “CCCP 01” on its tail, despite the American pilot’s name under the cockpit. Go figure.
Mekugi on design wrote:I've got the picture and the statblock, now I just need to write the filler.
[21:59] <Talost&#124;Kargucagstan> Boxers vs briefs
[21:59]<SodaPopinski> depends
[21:59] <Talost&#124;Kargucagstan> XD
[21:59]<SodaPopinski>not that kind of depends
[21:59]<SodaPopinski> :S
[21:59]<SodaPopinski>FUCK
[21:59]<SodaPopinski> XD
[22:00] <Talost&#124;Kargucagstan> Epic

<Kampf> Megan Fox got a lower beauty score than your sister, Talost. Something is wrong.
<Grox> Or very, very right. Tell your sister I said “Hi"

[11:57] <Allanea> TALOST IS WITCHCRAFT

Talost
28% Armaments Designer
Talost
28% Armaments Designer

25 Jan 2009, 07:29 #2

Don’t remember. Any ideas? EDIT: N3N Canary, thanks to Morrdh!

Again, no idea what this is. EDIT: PT-22 Recruit trainer, courtesy of Brydog.

L-13 Grasshopper recon plane from Vietnam

B-17. Remember the scene in The Dark Knight where Batman gets snagged by a C-130 in Hong Kong? That’s based on the real CIA project “Skyhook,” which was pioneered with research flights made by this very airframe. The museum bought it from the government.

Chin turret

The museum has guided tours of the interior of the B-17, which are what the next few photos are from:

Radar operator’s station

Looking into the bomb bay (three 100lb bombs visible on the right) towards the cockpit

Radioman’s station. The blue hat in the lower left is our guide, an old boy who said he served in the Navy but flew in the B-17 as a radioman. He also denied knowing anything about B-17s. Um…

Top of the ball turret, showing where the ammo was loaded

Bad picture looking back into the tail, towards the aft gunner’s position. You can actually get up in there, but not from where I was sitting. I neglected to take a picture of that, sorry.

Interior of the ball turret, looking in from the access hatch. .50 on either side of your head would make quite a racket. Foot holsters are visible above the canopy, and the controls to operate the hydraulics are not all visible in this shot.

P-51 Mustang

OV-1 Mohawk

B-25 Mitchell. EDIT: A-26 Invader, my thanks to ChevyRocks

F-4 Phantom. This is my favorite plane ever produced. It’s like its designers took some giant-ass engines, stuck them in a brick, gave aerodynamics the finger and told it to go f--- itself. I love it!

Kills painted on the side of the F-4. Top says “MiG-21 06 Jan ’67 AIM 7,” bottom says “MiG-17 05 Jun ’67 AIM 9”

F-4 engines. I love how they didn’t even bother to try and paint the area near the exhaust, since they knew the sheer power of the engine would obliterate it. Good lord I love this aircraft.

I think this is an F6F Bearcat, but I can’t recall (it’s either a Bearcat, Hellcat or Wildcat). The tour guide we had flew these in the closing days of the war. This one is a torpedo bomber that never saw combat. Our guide says the carrier landings were so rough and bounced you around so much that he went from 6’4” to 5’3 (I hope he was joking… he was short, at least, that's him in the lower left). EDIT: Pontinia and Franberry both say this is the Grumman TBF Avenger

Focke-Wulf Fw 190, I think. EDIT: TWSP tells me this it the P-40 Warhawk.

P-38 Lightning. This one is in flying condition, believe it or not.
Mekugi on design wrote:I've got the picture and the statblock, now I just need to write the filler.

<Kampf> Megan Fox got a lower beauty score than your sister, Talost. Something is wrong.

Talost
28% Armaments Designer
Talost
28% Armaments Designer

25 Jan 2009, 07:30 #3

Messerschmitt BF-109. The guide went nuts for this one, pulling on its flaps, extending leading edge thingies, slapping it like mad, etc. I thought he was going to break the damn thing. It’s almost as old as he is!

Supermarine Spitfire. The guide noted that this is a model produced late in the war. You can tell because the wing machine guns have been replaced with a single cannon each. This was because at that stage in the war there was no Luftwaffe left to shoot at, and cannons are better are taking out trains and tanks.

F4U Corsair

Now, I think this is the Wildcat, but I’m not sure. As with the last unknown, it’s either the Bearcat, Wildcat, or Hellcat. EDIT: Pontinia says this is the Grumman F6F Hellcat. The guide mentioned that this airframe is unusual, since it only has 4 MGs, when normally it would have 8. You can just make out place where gun #3 would be on the visible wing, but #4 is eluding me. EDIT2: So, four months after I post this, Ara comes back and says that the Hellcat only had 3 guns per wing, and the guide was wrong. Turns out he's right, it would seem.

Some engines. From left to right, we have: unknown, Pratt & Whitney F-100 (F-15), Pratt & Whitney J58-P4 (SR-71), Pratt & Whitney JT9D (747)

Spruce Goose. Note the person on the right, under the nose for scale.

F-105 Thunderchief. This was amazing to me, since I’d never even heard of this aircraft before. I wish I had more time to study it up-close. One unusual feature of this airframe is the kill count. 20-30 SAMs are painted on the far side, under the cockpit, but so are- get this- one and a half MiGs. How do you have half a kill?

MiG-17 Fresco

F-100 Super Sabre. Another aircraft I had never heard of.

F-86 Sabre

Two UAVs. The one in the foreground was the first UAV ever, the Mastiff III apparently, entering service in the 1980s. No information is available on the one in the back.

After this I went inside the Spruce Goose. It’s got a little walkway inside with plexiglass shields to keep you in, so my pictures are blurry.

Looking towards the tail. Those little beach balls in the corner are pretty funny. Turns out Hughes was so afraid of his baby sinking the moment he took it out of the hanger, he filled every cavity with those to give it extra buoyancy. They are still finding them wedged in various corners to this day.

Looking towards the nose. For &#036;20 a head, you can go past the fence and tool around with the controls down here. For &#036;50, you can climb the stairs to the cockpit, which is the size of a dump truck, sit in Hughes’ chair, etc. There are actually three floors in the Spruce Goose, but the first and third floors are still being restored.

F-5 Tiger II

I’m not sure. It’s a trainer, used by the Blue Angels at one point (obviously). EDIT: Several people have said that this is likely the Grumman F9F Cougar, although some think it's the Grumman F9F Panther. EDIT2: Aralonia says it's the Panther because I remember large wingtip tanks and the Cougar doesn't have them, Panther does.

OMGOMGOMG MiG-29! Fulcrum! :D :D !

<3. Notice the canopy is blacked out. Is it to prevent sun damage, or…? Also, anyone know what that dome thing on the upper nose is? Camera? EDIT: According to Crookfur, this is the MiG's IRST

F-14 Tomcat, parked right next to the MiG-29. I can’t get “Ebony and Ivory” out of my head when looking at these two next to each other.

Another shot of the F-14. We had one come to an airshow here a few years ago, and the stupid pilot parked the thing on tarmac that was too thin, only 2". The fighter ended up sinking into the ground in the middle of the airshow.

F-106 Delta Dart

Talost
28% Armaments Designer
Talost
28% Armaments Designer

25 Jan 2009, 07:32 #4

F-102 Delta Dagger

Bizare aircraft if I ever saw one. P-2 Neptune. It’s basically the B-17, but twice as massive and with two jets replacing two of its props. The P-3 Orion took over for it. Another airframe that I have never heard of. It’s also freaking huge.

A-4 Skyhawk

Another shot

AH-1 Cobra. Note the mock rockets and place to mount TOWs

Unknown. Some kind of trainer. EDIT: T-2 Buckeye

Now we crossed over to the space museum. This is entirely new to me, so my pictures are more rushed. Plus, I ran out of time.

Replica V-2. I just about had a heart-attack thinking it was real until a guide corrected me

The combustion chamber for the V-2. It's actually much larger than it appears in this picture, 8-11 feet, since I took this at a high angle.

This one IS legit. American copy of the V-1 called the JB-2 Loon, designed for the invasion of Japan

Some kind of Soviet space pod. Anyone know what it is? EDIT: Izistan believes this to be a Zenit. I guess I always assumed the pod was used by cosmonauts, but I suppose it might have been a spy satellite. I seem to recall something about the plaque mentioning it had a crew in it, though...

The next thing that caught my eye was an entire freaking ballistic missile. That’s right, they stuck a Titan-II in here. Indoors. You can walk underneath it. My god. There’s even a replica mission control room/movie theater underneath it where you can watch a 5-minute replay of a Titan-II launch from 2003. It’s so huge that my camera wouldn’t get it all in one shot, so I made five:

That first one is the re-entry vehicle for the 9 megaton nuclear warhead that it carried. It’s massive, and the surface is heavily lacquered in flame-retardant materials.

Next, the Redstone ICBM. World’s first ICBM, they tell me, designed by von Braun the moment he came over to our side.

Bottom of the Redstone. Look how primitive it is!

Seaking lifting a replica Apollo pod

Lunar module. Look at my dad for comparison. He’s about 5’9”. This thing is gigantic. No wonder it took the Saturn-V to get it into orbit.

The engine bell from the M-1, a proposed rocket that would have made the Saturn-V look tiny. It’s the most powerful rocket ever built, designed to get manned missions into the outer solar system. In 1960. Wat.

Talost
28% Armaments Designer
Talost
28% Armaments Designer

25 Jan 2009, 07:33 #5

Saturn-V control ring and one of its engines. Apparently this control ring did, well, everything for the rocket. It housed the computers, altimeters, radars, barometers, etc that controlled it, as well as every electrical junction. It’s basically the brain of a Saturn-V

Ullage rocket from the Saturn-V’s 3rd stage. It fires briefly to force fuel in the tanks back against the intakes, so that the 3rd stage’s engines can ignite.

The museum had various bits and pieces of a Titan-IV laying around. The guides told me that they were trying to figure out what to do with it, since it was too humongous to fit in the building assembled.

Here’s one of its motors

I believe this is the second stage

First stage, I think

This is one of the engines from an Atlas rocket, which took over from the Redstone, IIRC. It carried the first two Gemini missions into space. One of the plaques noted that when John Glenn agreed to hop into the Atlas for his mission, he knew that 3 of the last 5 Atlas missiles to be launched blew up. The man had balls the size of grapefruit.

A module built for Skylab that ended up being used by NASA to train new astronauts

X-15. Not sure if it’s a replica, but I would assume so

Another view. It’s actually got a very similar profile as the F-18 if viewed from below. Interesting.

What I originally came for and ended up only having 10 minutes to see, the museum’s SR-71

One of its engines. The other is on display in the aviation museum that I was in earlier.

Engine mount. Look at how gigantic the airframe is

This is fascinating. These are various modules from the aircraft that were only recently declassified. Far left is one of the two cameras (the gold bit on the right of it is the lens, which rotates), big white box and little white box are part of the ECM system and the little black box on the far right is some kind of plotting computer

D-21 spy drone. The basic idea was that it was attached to the SR-71 (I actually have a picture of this somewhere, taken at Boeing Field in Seattle a few years ago), which would then fly to the border of a country. Since the president at the time promised the public that there would be no manned spy flights, we just launched this thing instead. It took the pictures, flew to friendly territory, ejected the film canisters and self-destructed. The film would be recovered mid-air by a C-130. Hell yeah! Sounds great, right? Well, it didn’t work so well. It only ever flew over China, and of the ~25 missions it was used on, only 4 were successful.

Oh. My. God. X38. Legit. Really real. It’s here. In Oregon. I touched it. Note the NASA and ESA emblems painted on it.

I don’t remember what this is called, but it’s a big Soviet probe that they sent to Venus. Also modified one to act as a spy satellite, apparently. Any clues? EDIT: Preston and Izistan say that it's likely the Venera 13

Segment of the Berlin Wall, I think. Since the museum is so new they don't have plaques for everything. That's also why lots of the exhibits are on platforms right now.

Awesome little play structure outside the space museum. I was seriously, seriously tempted to climb to the top of the rocket ship, slide down the fuel line, fly the helicopter and crash the fire truck.

There was so much left to do but I wasn’t able to because of time that I want to cry. I needed at least another hour, maybe two. Space suits to photograph, plaques to read, movies to watch, etc.

Central Prestonia
24% Armaments Designer
Central Prestonia
24% Armaments Designer

25 Jan 2009, 07:45 #6

The Soviet probe to Venus is Venera something I believe.

Clandonia @ May 16 2009, 10:45 AM wrote: Real men blow bare
[16:20] <Soda> cohenians are all dickgirls

[23:19] <Number_Muncher> anyways, Preston, wear nothing but a kilt, a codpiece, and blue paint, bonus if it's the real thing (it's hallucinogenic I think) Strap a sword as long as you are tall to your back
[23:19] <Number_Muncher> and proceed to sack the entire dorm

Talost
28% Armaments Designer
Talost
28% Armaments Designer

25 Jan 2009, 07:53 #7

Yeah, that's it! Thanks for that, CP. TWSP also told me what the APCs are (BRDM-2s) and the IFV (PT-76), and also pointed out that what I have marked as the Fw-190 is actually the P-40... I'm about to edit the images and captions, trying to rotate them so you don't have to twist your head.

Izistan
You have way too much time on your hands ...
Izistan

25 Jan 2009, 08:04 #8

Yep. Thats either Verena or a later Mars. Mars 3 actually carried a small robot rover and survived 20 seconds on the surface.

As for the "BMP", what you have there is a PT-76.

http://www.mentallandscape.com/V_Venus.htm Any way heres some hawt venus pix. Also note that the Russians deployed two aerostat probes (balloons!) on venus in the 80's. Which is really cool considering no one has done anything like it since. >:&#124;
<+Praetonia> izi lives in a bizarre dystopian parallel canada
<+Praetonia> beset on all sides by triads, hell's angels and corrupt RCMP
<+Praetonia> not to mention hordes of nazis
@RatedRsupeRme actually its fosforus technology fosforus when it melts through anything like shooting through paper its used in at4hs ammo now and it basically has a delayed ignition an is like a volcano erupting and spewing melting white hot fosforus tottaly melting anyone in&#65279; its way so ur really behind on military tech
<+medicus> izistan
<+medicus> i heard
<+medicus> you'd never hear me say this
<+medicus> but thank god for israel and the united states

Izistan
Izistan

25 Jan 2009, 08:05 #9

Its a mockup of Venera 13 or possibly one of the Vegas. :)

The space capsule is a film return capsule for a Russian spy sat. They were used until the 80's so the age is hard to tell.
@RatedRsupeRme actually its fosforus technology fosforus when it melts through anything like shooting through paper its used in at4hs ammo now and it basically has a delayed ignition an is like a volcano erupting and spewing melting white hot fosforus tottaly melting anyone in&#65279; its way so ur really behind on military tech
<+medicus> izistan
<+medicus> i heard

Jeuna
Jeuna

25 Jan 2009, 08:05 #10

upload that shiz to wikipedia gogogo

[img]http://blast_archives.webs.com/501st%20userbar.png[/img]
<+zach&#124;alac> I don't oppose christianity
<+zach&#124;alac> i dont think we should kill the christians blast
<zach&#124;alac> kill all christians
<Leistung> being hated by bosnian serbs is a good litmus test for whether or not you're evil

Sumer
Sumer

25 Jan 2009, 08:06 #11

Talost, that APC is not a BDRM-2, it's a Hungarian FUG-70.

And that isn't a BMD, it's a PT-76.

Edit:

FUG-70:

BDRM-2:

Note the differences.

Edit: FUG-70, my bad. I knew it was one of those two damn Hungarian ones. And they're both based off the BDRM-1, oddly.
“I believe that the sound of racking the pump of a shotgun is universally recognized as ‘kiss your ass goodbye’."
Proudly Canadian

[quote=""L3 Communications""]Well...next to Sumer's juggernaut of death, the MCA-7G.[/quote]

Izistan
Izistan

25 Jan 2009, 08:12 #12

<+medicus> izistan
<+medicus> i heard

Sumer
Sumer

25 Jan 2009, 08:39 #13

I don't think it's a FUG-70, I know it's a FUG-70. It's not a BDRM-2.

Although it has the same armament as the BDRM-2, in a completely different turret.
“I believe that the sound of racking the pump of a shotgun is universally recognized as ‘kiss your ass goodbye’."
Proudly Canadian

[quote=""L3 Communications""]Well...next to Sumer's juggernaut of death, the MCA-7G.[/quote]

Talost
28% Armaments Designer
Talost
28% Armaments Designer

25 Jan 2009, 09:05 #14

Central Prestonia @ Jan 25 2009, 12:45 AM wrote:The Soviet probe to Venus is Venera something I believe.
Izistan @ Jan 25 2009, 01:04 AM wrote:Yep. Thats either Verena or a later Mars
Izistan @ Jan 25 2009, 01:05 AM wrote:Its a mockup of Venera 13 or possibly one of the Vegas. :)
Edited in
Jeuna @ Jan 25 2009, 01:05 AM wrote:upload that shiz to wikipedia gogogo
Ha, well, I'll have to learn how to first. I'm pretty booked tomorrow, so hopefully I can get to it on Monday.
Izistan @ Jan 25 2009, 01:12 AM wrote:Capsules a Zenit I think.
Edited in
Sumer @ Jan 25 2009, 01:39 AM wrote:I don't think it's a FUG-70, I know it's a FUG-70. It's not a BDRM-2.
What are the differences? I'll be honest, I'm looking at your pictures and they both look identical.

Keep in mind that this is only about half of the exhibits that the museum has to offer. I didn’t take pictures of most models, simulators, games, workshops, research library, IMAX theater or other such locations. Plus the museum is new, so they’re still shipping in displays. Many, many televisions all over, where you sit in decommissioned passenger airliner seats to watch films about the aircraft, space program and missiles on display.

I actually went to Cape Canaveral a few years ago and saw their museum. It’s better than this one, yes, but not by as much as you might think. Of course, having an entire intact Saturn-V stage 1, the original Apollo control room, every ballistic missile produced in the last six decades and a kick-ass cafeteria in your museum would tend to make a pretty good place to visit.

Pontinia
40% Armaments Designer
Pontinia
40% Armaments Designer

25 Jan 2009, 11:47 #15

Your Wildcat/Hellcat/Bearcat unknowns:

The Wildcat was F4F, Hellcat was F6F and Bearcat was F8F. The Bearcat had a bubble canopy and a four-bladed prop, so it's not one of those. This pic here:
that you have as a Cat is actually a Grumman TBM Avenger. If you look closely over the wing you can see the ball turret.

The other one:

is an F6F Hellcat; the giveaway is that dent over the wing; it's an exhaust vent and the F4F didn't have it.

The Blue Angels trainer is bugging me, because I'm sure I recognise it, but I can't quite remember what it's called.
Rosdivan wrote:There is no such thing as a gratuitous or needless explosion.
People don't seem to get me.