Some Common Questions w/ Photos....

Some Common Questions w/ Photos....

June 7th, 2012, 8:46 pm #1

I get the comment from new wearers a lot that their new piece has "flat" hair...or that it "doesn't look like it's possible for it to style like they need it to", etc. Just general comments along these lines after they see it and try it on prior to a cut in.

I think all of us that have worn hair for a while remember getting our first piece and thinking "what the h*ll is this"?? Then you plop it on your head uncut and think that it looks insanely wiggy and too thick to blend into your own hair....which it certainly is at first. A piece that comes with 5" - 6" hair that hasn't been cut in and blended with thinning shears is nothing like what it's going to look like after a cut in. I always do get follow up emails about how different it did look after the cut in, but I just wanted to put this out there for others that haven't ever received a piece yet just to alleviate the shock factor...whether it's a stock or a custom, how it looks when you get it is nothing like how it's going to look after it is cut in. If you look at the photos on here and on the website, everyone started with a similar piece and those are the results they achieved with a cut in and blending. I am still amazed myself at how my pieces look out of the package as opposed to how they look cut in.

Also, the other question I get quite often is about what to do when a thread comes loose and is sticking up on a lace base. Most people are petrified to cut them, however it's better to cut that loose area as close to the base as possible than to leave it...it's not going to ruin the piece and this has happened to me countless times over the years. Leaving it will do more harm than good, because you will continue to have your comb or brush snag it and then it tugs on the thread all the way across and bunches up a small area of the piece each time.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask me in an email or post it here on the forum...there are a lot of us here to help. Plus, many times it's a question that helps others learn a different way of doing things as well.

Thanks,
Eric
Last edited by -Eric on June 7th, 2012, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2012, 9:25 pm #2

I also sometimes hear that a stock piece looks to be too wavy/curly and doesn't look like it is just slight wave. However, the really wavy look is just a packing wave that is done to keep the hair neat during shipment. After a washing/conditioning it relaxes the packing wave.

Here is the EXACT same stock piece and how it came right out of the package (the top 2 photos are how it came in with the wave rings looking like a tighter curl than it really is). The bottom 3 photos are after photos, I just washed it and conditioned it and then let it air dry. I brushed it fairly straight on purpose and also brushed the bangs down.

One tip that I use on the pieces I wear personally (because I like as straight of hair as possible) is to wash and condition the piece and brush it while it is still very wet to get it as straight as possible while wet. Then I let it air dry overnight and it's very straight compared to how it came (after a few weeks of "training" it like this after removal, it just stays fairly straight on its own). If you want the hair to remain curly or wavy, just gently comb it with a very wide tooth comb while it is wet and it will keep most of the wave in tact.

This hair is still uncut in the after photos and a lot of the bottom wave will be cut off, which is what I am after.

When you order a custom, you can of course order straight hair to begin with...this is just for those that want to straighten the hair on a stock piece as much as possible without using a chemical straightener, etc.

This is just my method, like anything else...everyone has their own way of doing things.

Last edited by -Eric on February 7th, 2017, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2012, 1:03 pm #3

Wow.. I can't believe all that curl/wave washed right out.. That makes me a little worried that the piece I order which I want rather wavey is just going to go straight after I ash it too.... Or would it be that a piece that's supposed to be wavey would come out of the bag looking like a giant afro, and then wash back to the intended waveyness?

June 9th, 2012, 3:08 pm #4

What I was getting at is that this piece was only a slight wave, but it looked much more when they sent it (which causes people brand new to wearing to think they received a really curly piece by mistake). If you like it to be as wavy as possible, you just comb it gently with a wide tooth comb after you wash/condition. I brushed this straight down firmly (while it was wet) with a brush that has bristles close together to purposely train it straighter...and then let it air dry.

On the flip side, you can add curl to a hairpiece if you want more....but that's a question for someone like Debbie or Martin. I've never done it before myself, but have customers that have. I know it's important to involve low or no heat.

Ad
Ad

June 9th, 2012, 9:01 pm #5

I always order pieces waver than my own hair. After a few washes and the cut in the hair is much straighter.

lb
lb

June 10th, 2012, 3:10 am #6

ad if you don t mind what do you order body wave or do you go a bit more . regards LB

Enriquepacheco
Enriquepacheco

June 10th, 2012, 5:52 am #7

I do have to say that it is indeed a scary situation when someone orders a piece by mail...not knowing what to expect...I went to a Salon for many years and I was very satisfied with the lady who took care of me all those years and the pieces I bought from her. I always read on the internet about people just buying stock or custom pieces and getting them either all fully cut or ready to be styled..it always scared me!! I took the chance and I am so glad I did, not only I ventured into using bases i never used before but I actually got more "adventurous" with what I can do with a unit.

I asked Eric lots of questions before I jumped into buying my first lace unit and he was professional enough to give me clear advice on what I was buying. Todays units are so natural and there are so many choices, my advice to the newbies is to try different units until you find one that really suits you. It sounds like it can be a waste of money..but I am talking by experience, I used a "skin" unit for so long just because I was afraid of change and not until I met Eric I was able to finally try other options without breaking the bank!!! My days of going to a Salon for a unit are over, not only I found a place where I get great customer service but also I can buy an affordable unit that I know it is going to look as good or better than those really expensive ones at the Salon.

Also I ventured into cutting the unit at a regular Hair Salon, I glued it to my scalp and had it cut for $20!! of course I told the lady that she was cutting a unit I had on cause she had to be aware that if she messed up that hair was NOT gonna grow back!! LOL!! and for the first time I also cutted a unit on my own which is the one I am currently using. So guys, don't be afraid to ask questions or try something new, you will not regret it.

Ad
Ad

June 10th, 2012, 11:29 am #8

ad if you don t mind what do you order body wave or do you go a bit more . regards LB
LB I usually order by rod size, either 30mm or 25mm which is much wavier than my own. But by the time its cut in, there is only a slight wave to it. I think 25 mm would be good for you if I remember your own hair correctly. Wavier hair in my mind looks much less wiggy.

lb
lb

June 11th, 2012, 3:04 am #9

thanks , ad i agree alittle looks more realistic on me , but again too much can look bad. so it trying to get that right wave and i will consider the amount you recomended, LB

June 11th, 2012, 10:27 pm #10

Hi , my advice on this is its always better to order more wave than less ..its much easier to take the curl out than put it back . Most systems look way too curly when they arrive but most of that gets cut off so unless you are of Asian origin 99% of us have some natural movement in our hair and a system always looks better with a slight amount of curl ..rather than totally straight .
Sometimes systems look a bit bouncy when 1st cut in and settle after a few days of general wear and tear ....so my advice is always at least 2.5 wave movement at the very least
Hope this helps Martin