Skin Pieces - Questions And Answers....

Skin Pieces - Questions And Answers....

February 7th, 2012, 5:01 am #1

There have been a number of people asking questions recently with all of the good press they are seeing on the forum from current skin wearers as far as the ease of use, etc. I have been asked a few questions and I'm not experienced enough to answer them being an all lace wearer, so if some of you could please chime in I think we could all learn from this topic being on the forum.

I'm also going to throw in a couple of my own because I have one on order myself. Any helpful info. is appreciated, even if you don't know the answers to all of these:

1) Is applying to either the base or the head acceptable, or would you say one is better than the other with a skin piece?

2) Does the "alcohol slide" come in handy for a skin piece as much as it does for those that wear all lace?

2) When removing (for someone that is going to be using one of the recommended glues like Davlyn Black, etc), do you just spray a little alcohol under the edge and peel back? Is there a need to continue to spray the alcohol as you work your way back or does it peel off with very little resistance?

3) Some have mentioned that when they do just a quick/temporary removal to shower and put back on again, they re-use the adhesive still on the piece. I'm assuming this is in addition to a fresh layer of adhesive as well?

4) How easy is it to get a glue like Davlyn Black (or any of the others) to come off of the base and is alcohol or adhesive remover just basically wiped on to do this?

5) Are all tapes (including lighter hold tapes) a no-no on skin bases because of the difficulty to remove them?

Any other info. aside from these questions would be great....or if anyone has other skin questions, this will be a good thread to put them in.

Thanks,
Eric

johnny
johnny

February 7th, 2012, 12:14 pm #2

In My Case ,

Question # :

1)Head Only.

2)Alcohol Not Needed.

3)From a base of .08 and thinner, use alcohol to loosen or risk tearing the base. 91 % from Walmart about a buck forty, works just as good 100 % at 5 times the price plus shipping.70 %
works fairly well also !

4)To remove Davlyn Black, I cover the glue perimeter ( I only place Davlyn around the base perimeter)with pulled/stretched alcohol cotton balls. Once covered I may squirt more alcohol onto the cotton balls, let sit for at least a half hour or more and than simply wipe off glue.
Lately, I found out by soaking the base in hot water and shampoo, that the Davlyn after about a half hour, simply rolled right off , using a single alcohol cotton ball ! Go gentle on Eric's ultra thin skin.

5) Tape not needed , with Davlyn Black around the base perimeter only and than G2BG on the remaining base surface, plus my scalp , with the G2BG only, not the Davlyn at anytime on my scalp.

This how I do mine. You may find a better way in your application, removal and cleanup.

johnny/albuquerque

johnny
johnny

February 7th, 2012, 12:18 pm #3

answer to question # 2 should read :

alcohol slide not needed ! Another reason I choose skin over lace.....a lot of the issue's with wearing and removing lace are not an issue !Again, thats just me ! :)

johnny/abq

February 7th, 2012, 12:42 pm #4

There have been a number of people asking questions recently with all of the good press they are seeing on the forum from current skin wearers as far as the ease of use, etc. I have been asked a few questions and I'm not experienced enough to answer them being an all lace wearer, so if some of you could please chime in I think we could all learn from this topic being on the forum.

I'm also going to throw in a couple of my own because I have one on order myself. Any helpful info. is appreciated, even if you don't know the answers to all of these:

1) Is applying to either the base or the head acceptable, or would you say one is better than the other with a skin piece?

2) Does the "alcohol slide" come in handy for a skin piece as much as it does for those that wear all lace?

2) When removing (for someone that is going to be using one of the recommended glues like Davlyn Black, etc), do you just spray a little alcohol under the edge and peel back? Is there a need to continue to spray the alcohol as you work your way back or does it peel off with very little resistance?

3) Some have mentioned that when they do just a quick/temporary removal to shower and put back on again, they re-use the adhesive still on the piece. I'm assuming this is in addition to a fresh layer of adhesive as well?

4) How easy is it to get a glue like Davlyn Black (or any of the others) to come off of the base and is alcohol or adhesive remover just basically wiped on to do this?

5) Are all tapes (including lighter hold tapes) a no-no on skin bases because of the difficulty to remove them?

Any other info. aside from these questions would be great....or if anyone has other skin questions, this will be a good thread to put them in.

Thanks,
Eric
Wee with skin pieces I just lift a little sort of like removing a suction cup and peel it off and that is it. Since I don't use anything with skin pieces, except maybe GOT2BEGLUED then I just rinse with water. I never used alcohol or any other glue removers with skin pieces. I like to just take them off, at night and throw them back on in the morning, that helps with bed hair, you have none, your piece is still combed out in the morning if you just take it off and leave on a wig head or just lying around. That is what I love about skin pieces, simply nothing to do for maintenance.

February 13th, 2012, 3:25 am #5

... repost.
Last edited by Xeon005 on February 13th, 2012, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enriquepacheco
Enriquepacheco

February 15th, 2012, 12:53 am #6

I have not been here in a while!!! I wanted to tell my experience with skin units, they are absolutely great, maintenance free!!! no mess,no fuss!!! LOL...I am about to order one fron Eric soon!! I use Dermatex on my head and then apply the unit, it stays for a good 3 days or so..I do have oily skin and sweat a lot. Some others swear about having the unit for much longer using Dermatex...not me, but then again I do not mind to take it off every 3 days to wash my own head really good!!!

It is really easy to just wipe the Dermatex off, no alcohol or nothing..I am satisfied with lace for now, it is my first lace piece and it was a learning experience, it is really light and it breathes!!!! it looks great BUT....the high maintenance part is just not for me. I am used to the quick off quick on way with the skin unit. I think it is all a matter of what you really like, some people do not mind spending some extra time cleaning the lace..I am a guy on the go so I need something that do not require too much effort. Again is it a matter of what the individual like...appearance,durability,maintenance, the kind of bond...there are a few things people have to look at before they decide which unit is more suitable.

February 15th, 2012, 2:33 am #7

Thanks for the Dermatex recommendation Enrique....that sounds like a really easy glue to use. Is it a pretty solid hold...and have you used the Davlyn Black glue that others have talked about? Just curious how it compares.

February 15th, 2012, 3:19 am #8

What would be best for daily use skin? using only g2bglued? I want to still use regain and topicals at night

Enriquepacheco
Enriquepacheco

February 16th, 2012, 3:41 am #9

Thanks for the Dermatex recommendation Enrique....that sounds like a really easy glue to use. Is it a pretty solid hold...and have you used the Davlyn Black glue that others have talked about? Just curious how it compares.
Yes, the Dermatex is a pretty good bond and I assume that for those of you who do not have oily skin it would be even better!!!! I have not use the Davlyn product...what i like about Dermatex is that even though it only last like 3 days for me (cause of oily skin) it is a no mess glue..super easy to just wipe away.

Torsdag
Torsdag

March 28th, 2012, 9:43 am #10

Im still a little skeptical about g2bg , i like a very secure bond. I read Johnny that you only place Davlyn black around the perimeter . Have you ever done a full bond with just Davlyn, and if so how easy was it get off?