New Wearer Photos & Story

New Wearer Photos & Story

June 27th, 2012, 1:56 am #1

I wanted to pass this story on to show that even someone that has never seen a hairpiece before can end up with a good result with some patience (even considering how traumatic this experience had to have been). The wearer will have to come on and go into more detail, but this is the story in a nutshell:

This young, new wearer contacted me for a stock piece and sent me some photos of his situation. He ended up purchasing a lighter color to be colored down to his black hair color. He found a salon locally and was told that the owner knew how to cut in and color a piece, so he set up an appointment and went down to have this done.

When he walked in, he was greeted by an older gentleman that was very rude and impatient during the whole process. His existing hair on top was shaved, his piece was put into a mixing bowl and the color was added into the bowl and the piece and color were mixed together (including the base of the piece which also turned black along with all the knots).

The piece was trimmed very fast and was not trimmed to fit his balding area, it was far too big...so the sides ended up being adhered to his real side hair rather than his scalp. He then told the stylist that he could see that the lace and knots were black and it needed to be bleached, the stylist said he doesn't bleach knots. He was charged $100 and sent on his way.

To make a long story as short as possible, this young man went home and locked himself in his bathroom for over 2 hours. He removed the piece (which was stuck into his existing side and back hair) and taught himself how to bleach the knots/base and cut the base down, etc. with tips he had learned from reading the forums and just needing to figure something out since his existing hair on top was gone now and there was no going back. He did have very thin hair, but was using concealer to thicken it up, however this wasn't an option anymore since he was now completely bald on top.

He told me this story and it literally made me ill, because I could imagine how tough it would be to trust someone that claimed to have a lot of hairpiece knowledge and then end up with a result like that....then have to leave the salon without the option of going back to concealers because your existing hair on top was shaved off.

I'm not passing this story on to freak people out, this is obviously a very rare happening but goes to show that even someone without any prior knowledge can at least make a piece presentable with time and patience.

Please keep in mind that he had never seen or touched a hairpiece before and even though he couldn't get all the black off the base and knots...after all was said and done, he was able to come up with this result:

Last edited by -Eric on June 27th, 2012, 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2012, 1:58 am #2

For brand new wearers that still have a decent amount of hair on top, there are ways to wait on taking the plunge and shave your hair until you are CERTAIN the cut in and overall look is right for you.

One option is to order a piece about 1/2" too wide and too long and have clips sewn on by the factory...the clips attach into your side and back hair (and hold it down tight to your scalp without adhesive) and then you just have to secure the very front with adhesive. Yes, this is a primitive attachment method that was common many years ago....but I'm not talking about using it permanently, only until you get the right look. When you are confident with the piece, you just trim that excess 1/2" so that the piece will fit your balding area....and the clips come off with the extra lace or poly on the sides and back.

The other option is to use a really strong tape like blue liner...if you have very thin existing hair, it will grab the scalp when pressed down hard. When you go to remove, the tape will not pull out your existing hair as long as you use plenty of 99% alcohol...the tape will just slide right off...you'll have about 30 seconds before the tape re-gains its adhesion. If you feel any resistance, you just spray more 99% alcohol and continue once the tape loses its adhesion again.

These are just a couple of ways of experimenting with a piece before taking the plunge, I did both when I first started wearing just to make sure it was what I wanted to do before I shaved my head. Some aren't afraid to take the plunge right away, but these are just a couple options for those that want to make sure before they part with any existing hair.
Last edited by -Eric on June 27th, 2012, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackie
Blackie

June 27th, 2012, 2:51 am #3

I wanted to pass this story on to show that even someone that has never seen a hairpiece before can end up with a good result with some patience (even considering how traumatic this experience had to have been). The wearer will have to come on and go into more detail, but this is the story in a nutshell:

This young, new wearer contacted me for a stock piece and sent me some photos of his situation. He ended up purchasing a lighter color to be colored down to his black hair color. He found a salon locally and was told that the owner knew how to cut in and color a piece, so he set up an appointment and went down to have this done.

When he walked in, he was greeted by an older gentleman that was very rude and impatient during the whole process. His existing hair on top was shaved, his piece was put into a mixing bowl and the color was added into the bowl and the piece and color were mixed together (including the base of the piece which also turned black along with all the knots).

The piece was trimmed very fast and was not trimmed to fit his balding area, it was far too big...so the sides ended up being adhered to his real side hair rather than his scalp. He then told the stylist that he could see that the lace and knots were black and it needed to be bleached, the stylist said he doesn't bleach knots. He was charged $100 and sent on his way.

To make a long story as short as possible, this young man went home and locked himself in his bathroom for over 2 hours. He removed the piece (which was stuck into his existing side and back hair) and taught himself how to bleach the knots/base and cut the base down, etc. with tips he had learned from reading the forums and just needing to figure something out since his existing hair on top was gone now and there was no going back. He did have very thin hair, but was using concealer to thicken it up, however this wasn't an option anymore since he was now completely bald on top.

He told me this story and it literally made me ill, because I could imagine how tough it would be to trust someone that claimed to have a lot of hairpiece knowledge and then end up with a result like that....then have to leave the salon without the option of going back to concealers because your existing hair on top was shaved off.

I'm not passing this story on to freak people out, this is obviously a very rare happening but goes to show that even someone without any prior knowledge can at least make a piece presentable with time and patience.

Please keep in mind that he had never seen or touched a hairpiece before and even though he couldn't get all the black off the base and knots...after all was said and done, he was able to come up with this result:

Oh man.. i was cringing reading this story. What a nightmare..
The dude was at his absolute most vulnerable position, and the guy destroyed his piece AND gave him attitude?!

The fact that he was able to walk out of there without having some kind of mental breakdown is amazing!

I'm fairly new at this game too, but i already feel very comfortable with the whole experience (trimming lace, cutting in hair, coloring it, attachment) .. and that's all because of all the fantastic help these forums have provided.

Obviously that guy's hairline looks a bit too dark, but considering what it must have looked like before, it's amazing.. and i'm sure 95% of people wouldn't even look twice at it.

i bet he can't wait to get a new piece and do it all himself from scratch?

June 27th, 2012, 5:42 am #4

Yes Blackie, he definitely sounds confident that he can really do well starting over with a new piece with all that he was forced to do in a short time frame.

It was a very traumatic experience for him, but he has come out of it very confident in what he was able to accomplish considering the lace was completely stained and the base was left far too large. I forgot to mention he also had to cut the hair some more himself on top of everything else, because it was left far too long....but he just wanted to get out of there after what he had gone through and I can't blame him.

He just sent me the updated photo of the wet look he wears. I added it above too:

June 27th, 2012, 7:20 am #5

This poor guy has probably (& I'm trying to find a positive in all the horror) just jumped up 50% of the new wearer's learning curve in one weekend.
In a remarkably short time, he has managed to do what some of us took months or even years to achieve.
Driven by pure necessity, he's learned a lot of self attachment lessons and achieved a great result with what turned into a poor product.
I hope over-all he's not disheartened because it can only get better for him and he looks great in the second picture.

On the subject of 'clips' mentioned by Eric, I know they sound like they might be bulky etc, but these days they are amazing.
They're flat, light-weight and you wouldn't even know they were there.
Its a great way to try a piece prior to committing and shaving your head.

June 27th, 2012, 12:13 pm #6

The result looks good, but the story is not to bad as a hair piece can be fixed or replaced. You do not have to see the guy again end of. I was 24 and had a flap hairtransplant in the early 90´s and it completly ruined my appearance . It went wrong like they normally do and had to wear a cap for nearly 20 years. Luckily after wearing a piece for a year it has made life easier. Due to the angle of the flap even when wearing i can not really achieve a totally natural look but its better with it than without.
I know how the poster felt but at least its easily fixed..

siroadster
siroadster

June 27th, 2012, 1:43 pm #7

I think if that is what was achieved at first attempt, then it was a very good job indeed, and for sure his hair wearing will only get better and better. Well Done

bobby
bobby

June 27th, 2012, 3:30 pm #8

IT’S a shame what happened to him. It’s so hard to get a qualified cut in for a newbie. I had so many paid for really bad cut in's myself in the early stages. Best advice is to have a few extra stock units. And get a robo cutter and steer clear of salons till you find a good one. This is one great advantage of buying online. If you ruin your own system. You don’t lose a lot of cash. But if you pay $100 and salon ruins it pay a few hundred total and you still need a new unit. Cutting a unit in is really easy. It just looks scary.
Stay positive and don’t let bad salons ruin your attitude
Bobby

June 27th, 2012, 6:55 pm #9

I agree completely about the Robocut/Flowbee if you don't have someone in your area that's qualified or you aren't getting the results you are after (or if you are just needing to save the cash).

For newbies, the experience of going to a salon can be priceless though and I highly recommend it at first because most of the time you can watch what they are doing and really learn a lot for your money. Obviously it wasn't the case in this incident at all, but what happened here was just awful and not the norm by any means.

I had a Flowbee sitting around for a year, unused. My brother wears too and he told me he wanted to give the Flowbee a try if I still had it, so him and his wife came over and my wife and I watched the instructional video with them. We then put a spare piece that I had never had cut in on my head and my wife cut it in with the Flowbee and thinning shears on the sides and back. We did have to leave it a little longer because my side and back hair was long and I didn't want to accidentally cut into my side and back hair at the time (just being cautious because we had never used one). But it did a fabulous job....he took it home and his wife cut his in and it looks great, he's thrilled with the results.

Neil
Neil

June 27th, 2012, 6:57 pm #10

IT’S a shame what happened to him. It’s so hard to get a qualified cut in for a newbie. I had so many paid for really bad cut in's myself in the early stages. Best advice is to have a few extra stock units. And get a robo cutter and steer clear of salons till you find a good one. This is one great advantage of buying online. If you ruin your own system. You don’t lose a lot of cash. But if you pay $100 and salon ruins it pay a few hundred total and you still need a new unit. Cutting a unit in is really easy. It just looks scary.
Stay positive and don’t let bad salons ruin your attitude
Bobby
I've been wearing for 20 years now.
In my wearer's experience I've had at least 12 units dumped in the bin or ruined by hairdressers (who then had the nerves to demand full payment for "their" time).
-You can imagine how many thousand dollars I've lost during the years.
I've never paid $100 for a haircut and NEVER will. The most I got charged for a haircut was $38 plus tips.
Fortunately decades later we get the choice of ordering online.
Last year I bought a Flowbee, razor & sheers and been practicing since to get ALL things done by myself. I'm not saying it was easy at first cause it takes practice BUT I'm getting better and better with time and feel much better I'm not wasting that much money anymore!
NL .