Great Self Cut In Photos From Customer Mcat

Great Self Cut In Photos From Customer Mcat

April 25th, 2012, 7:19 am #1

This is a 1B piece that customer Mcat cut in himself. He sent me these photos and asked to have them posted on the forum. This is medium light (100%) density.

I think he has achieved professional cut in quality on his own here and it looks great....I've asked that he stops in and posts how he does his cut ins when he has time.

Torsdag
Torsdag

April 25th, 2012, 5:16 pm #2

Really great job , blend is perfect . Looks like you have just been to the barbers . If I could get anywhere near this I would be a happy man .Is it freestyle ?

April 26th, 2012, 1:03 am #3

Yes, this is a freestyle stock piece....I'm looking forward to hearing how he does his self cut ins, this is a great result!

April 26th, 2012, 1:15 am #4

Thanks for the assist Eric.....it was a great piece. And here is how i cut it in......

Ok, here is my process....

For a new system, I cut the system off my head. First I lay it on the ground base side up and comb out the underlying hair. I then trip off the several inches extra (always using thinning shears. i then tack it to a styro head and hang it up side down and take thinning shears to the center and ever else that need the extra cut off. Then i take off the styro head and i lay it back on the floor with the base up. Then i roll the edges in in order to keep that layer un touched. For the other hair i rolled up i thin it out. Now back to the layer i left down. I take "V" style cuts out with thinning shears. to soften the edges. I then put it back on the styro head and flip it upside down and thin out the rest and random.

For my hair, i take a #7 guard and shave it all. And i dont know if you can tell but my sides are thinning and i have no temple points at all. So i then take a #2 and fade up the back up my neck and 2 inches behind ears. This gives the illusion that the thin back (from the #2 cut) matches my side hair that is naturally thinning, so it looks like a full fade all around. But actually the faded look on my sides is all the same length. Its just because its thinning that it looks like a fade. I shave it with a #5 or so and fade up right at the top.

I then use blue lace tape all the way around.

Anyways I hope this help...and anymore questions. Dont hesitate.

torsdag
torsdag

April 26th, 2012, 7:51 am #5

What is 100% density in the old scale?

April 26th, 2012, 2:45 pm #6

It would be 65% on the low scale (medium light).

lfc
lfc

April 26th, 2012, 5:20 pm #7

it looks good and the blending is just perfect...I can not believe how much people that cut hair systems are charging...seriously that's a rip off and they are no different that the people who sale snake oil for growing hair back.They are all trying to take advantage of baldies.

April 27th, 2012, 1:30 am #8

Really really nicely done.

April 27th, 2012, 6:20 am #9

Thank you for taking the time to post your self cut in routine Mcat, very much appreciated. I couldn't agree more with the poster above, why go somewhere and pay $100 - $150 for a cut in if you can get results like this! Self cut ins aren't for everyone, but for those that aren't afraid to try it, or have spare pieces to practice on it can definitely pay off in the long run.

For those afraid to try clippers, there are also the self cutters like Flowbee and Robocut...I've seen some awesome results from those that use just those and thinning shears as well. You can also trim the piece down a couple inches and go into a regular hair salon like Enrique did recently and get a great cut for a fraction of the price of a hair replacement salon. I know many know this already, but Debbie also does a mail order cut in service that is only $34 for topper pieces and $44 for full caps...I've had her cut in pieces for me in the past and they turned out great with just sending measurement instructions and/or a photo of what I was after.

April 29th, 2012, 4:32 am #10

I think everyone needs to learn to cut it in themselves....it really is easy.

I have used Debbie once, and I wont ever go back to her. It was on a blonde full cap that was sent for her to dye and then cut in. The dye job was so bad the dye had leaked down and the knots were like little ants all over it. And the cut was like someone took a flowbee over it one time - no texture, nothing....it was crap - just my experience. And that was the last time I tried to go the full cap route. I'll stick to my toppers. But to each their own. I'll stick to doing it myself, since I know what I want and can do it.