Cutting A Stock Piece To Your Template Size

Cutting A Stock Piece To Your Template Size

June 30th, 2012, 8:19 pm #1

I am asked how to go about cutting down a stock piece quite often, so I wanted to post some instructions for those that need help.

To cut down a stock piece, all you need to do is:

1) Turn your piece upside down and pin it to a styrofoam head so the base side is facing up.

2) Turn your template upside down and line the hairline up at the very front center of the template and the piece (it's important that you cut the sides and back and avoid cutting into the hairline). Pin the template in quite a few different locations at the very edges so it stays secure.

3) Take very small scissors and start cutting the piece starting at the back. It's important to barely open the scissors at all with each cut and cut a tiny amount at a time, if you open the scissors too wide you will cut the hair underneath....you ONLY want to cut the base...the hair that extends out from the base will of course come off, but you don't want to cut the hair that is laying underneath the base area you are cutting. I find it easier to gently pull on the skin or lace base that you are cutting as you go...it keeps it snug and away from the base and seems to be easier to keep away from the hair underneath.

4) Take the piece off the head and brush it, there will be some shedding on the sides and back where you cut, do not be alarmed...just brush it out and it will stop shedding. This only happens because there are some areas where you have cut the lace and that hair hasn't come off yet, this is common.

That's seriously all there is to it....if you have questions, feel free to post them or email me. It's always best to practice something like this on an old/spare piece first.
Last edited by -Eric on February 20th, 2015, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 30th, 2012, 8:27 pm #2

Also, if I don't have the particular base or color of stock you need currently listed on my "stock pieces" page of the northwestlace.com website, feel free to email me at eric@northwestlace.com and I will let you know if I have your color/base on hand or if I can get it.

I can get a good variety of stocks within 4-5 business days if I don't already have what you need on hand.

Blackie
Blackie

July 1st, 2012, 1:52 am #3

I am asked how to go about cutting down a stock piece quite often, so I wanted to post some instructions for those that need help.

1) Turn your piece upside down and pin it to a styrofoam head so the base side is facing up.

2) Turn your template upside down and line the hairline up at the very front center of the template and the piece (it's important that you cut the sides and back and avoid cutting into the hairline). Pin the template in quite a few different locations at the very edges so it stays secure.

3) Take very small scissors and start cutting the piece starting at the back. It's important to barely open the scissors at all with each cut and cut a tiny amount at a time, if you open the scissors too wide you will cut the hair underneath....you ONLY want to cut the base...the hair that extends out from the base will of course come off, but you don't want to cut the hair that is laying underneath the base area you are cutting. I find it easier to gently pull on the skin or lace base that you are cutting as you go...it keeps it snug and away from the base and seems to be easier to keep away from the hair underneath.

4) Take the piece off the head and brush it, there will be some shedding on the sides and back where you cut, do not be alarmed...just brush it out and it will stop shedding. This only happens because there are some areas where you have cut the lace and that hair hasn't come off yet, this is common.

That's seriously all there is to it....if you have questions, feel free to post them or email me. It's always best to practice something like this on an old/spare piece first.
Eric, GENIUS!
I cut a stock piece to my template size recently.. but i messed around with it all day trying to get it to the right size/shape..
if only i had read this thread.. brilliant idea pinning the piece to the head, then placing the template on top!

This is why i love these forums.. so much great advice.. why would anybody go to a hair club?!

July 1st, 2012, 1:57 am #4

Eric,
any chance of doing a video and posting it?

It would really help. I royally screwed up a stock unit when cutting. With the base i cut the back of the hair too...lol i am klutz what can i say

thanks

July 1st, 2012, 7:00 pm #5

I'm glad if this helps out and no problem on posting some photos or a video when I get some time. I was a little nervous way back when I tried this for the first time or two, but it really is an easy thing to do.

MPCReRuN
MPCReRuN

December 24th, 2012, 5:51 pm #6

I am bumping this post up because it helped me out on my second piece that I recently ordered. I think the part that confused me the most was the inverting of the template part. So what I did (and Eric, please correct me if this is NOT what you meant, but it did work for me):

1) I placed the piece upside down (lace up) onto my foam staging head. I did not pin it down yet because the pins will be in the template holding the the whole thing in place.
2) Then I inverted the template so that it is like you are looking at a bowl over the piece. If your template is homemade and is rather sturdy (a good amount of tape and such) then you should be able to now flatten it over the foam head so that the curve of it is now going the other way. In other words, I simply pressed the edges of the template until it popped over the foam head reversing the bowl of the template to now be over the piece. Now the edge of the template is the right side for all areas of the piece.
3) Now simply line up the inverted template with the piece as desired and pin it to the foam head with the piece in place.

Make sure the piece is flat on the head with no wrinkles under the template. Smooth it all out before you start pinning in down.
4) Then cut as Eric described. Slowly and methodically in small lengths of cut. Like no more than 1/4 inch at a time.

Hope this helps others, it sure helped me a ton!

Thank you Eric!

December 25th, 2012, 5:14 pm #7

Please photos or videos of the procedure will be greatly appreciated. thanks

December 26th, 2012, 7:43 am #8

Hi MPC,

I've responded to the email as well on this, but I'll post it here too just so everyone else knows what I meant when I said "invert" the template. I'm glad you asked this, because after reading it I should have been more clear.

By "inverting" I meant to take the template and turn it upside down and completely invert the shape of it. The reason for this is that you are laying it on an upside down piece (with the hair side down), so the template has to be reversed as well because you are now cutting the piece while it is upside down, so the template needs to be reversed.

This matters because some have one side that is shaped slightly different than the other and it needs to be cut properly, so if you just put the template on the piece without turning it upside down as well you could have a minor problem on the sides. Even if you did forget to turn the template upside down, the piece would still be the "same size" after you cut it and things would probably work out just fine since the hair would cover any tiny difference, it's just best to make sure both are upside down so that there isn't any risk of having an issue after you cut it.

I know cutting down a piece sounds daunting, but it's really easy and those that have done it before probably do it the second time with ease. I took forever to cut my first piece down, now I cut them fairly quickly.

Thanks,
Eric

MPCReRuN
MPCReRuN

January 3rd, 2013, 6:23 am #9

Eric,
Yes, the second piece cutting was A TON easier and MUCH LESS stressful ha ha ha! Especially after this little tip you gave.
Thanks a bunch. BTW, the site I was telling you about is already half finished. I will let you take a look at it before I do a complete publish. Any pointers or critiques will be totally welcome.
Thank you again for being an honest and helpful person in this industry. I think I speak for many when I say you do an outstanding job at helping us newbies and the experienced along.
Cheers,
MPC

January 4th, 2013, 1:36 am #10

That's great to hear MPC, the first time you cut a stock down it's stressful for anyone....after that it's a breeze though. The main thing is making the tiny cuts by barely opening the scissors so that you don't accidentally cut the hair underneath.

Thanks for the kind words, I like helping out...we're all in the same boat here and I know how good it felt when I finally took the leap to wearing a piece. It's great to hear from people who get their piece cut in and find that confidence they've been missing for a while. I hear from so many guys that did or are doing the same as many of us...wore concealers for years, hid under a baseball hat, etc, etc. It takes me back to the feeling I had when I finally tried wearing. The main thing that holds a lot of people back is that the word "hairpiece" still has an awful stigma to it and people think they are going to have something on their head that looks obvious.