manta ray beach buggy barn find

April 7th, 2013, 5:49 pm #1

26 years ago a new housing development was built next to where my mother had just bought her new house , the first big house on the site was massive and had a garage to match , one day when passing i noticed a manta ray beach buggy , 1o years later i got chatting to the owner , a local indian bussiness man , he kindly let me look around it , but wouldnt sell it , so it was there for 26 years , lol thats what i thought , i met the man 3 weeks ago at the local shop i went over to him and enquired about the buggy again , when we got to chatting about it i said that i knew he had it 26 years ,

no no no i have it 42 years , i nearly fell ,he built it when he was 21 , he bought it in bits from a man in BELFAST , he said he tied the body to the roof of his merc and towed the rest behind the car lol i kidd u not , he told me he had the front wheels banded using mk1 ford capri front 13inch rims . on to the proper wide5 wheels , and done the back with i think rims of a jag ,

we got into deep vw back in the day talking , i slipped in would u sell it to me now , to see what he would say .

he looked up to the roof and said to me, i swore i would never sell it until the boys grew up and see if they wanted it , but now they are accountants in london , so i think i might sell it , he took me into the garage to find it , lol , and find wasnt a joke , it was buried under piles boxes , furniture , etc u could just make it out , and still where i had last seen it 16 before , and one of his ole merc set beside it to , which he wants to sell 1 owner , derry reged BUI ,

buried the same , in cracking condition too ,

so again i asked ,
made him an offer ,
no no no i couldnt let it go for that ,
well he gave me a price ,
i said no , i was sticking to my offer as it was there 26 and who else knew about it ,

he asked what i would do with it , i told him restore back to the way he had it , he stuck out his hand and said u own it now ,

then he looks up at the roof again and says i must dig out that new roof i got made for it years ago lol .
i nearly fell ,

and best of all its YELLOW ,

OWEN NW
i trying to get the pics up on photobucket but its not working right ,

pics to follow

April 7th, 2013, 6:31 pm #2

he also has this ole merc for sale 1 owner

April 7th, 2013, 6:39 pm #3

i then get offered this a 63 bug
needs light res
to

April 7th, 2013, 8:39 pm #4

nice find there and c/w hard top, should clean up well B-)

retro

April 8th, 2013, 12:11 pm #5

Me likey the Merc! Did he give a price??

April 8th, 2013, 1:15 pm #6

around £1400 its very good not perfect but , would make a great show car ,108000miles one owner ,

April 8th, 2013, 9:55 pm #7

She's goin to a good home Owen. Spose she'll be MOT'd by the end of the month :D

Raff.

April 9th, 2013, 7:11 am #8

naw but its yellowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww lol owen nw

April 30th, 2013, 1:49 pm #9

If Shielsy fell into the Foyle he would come out with a salmon in his pocket

July 3rd, 2013, 1:29 pm #10

bought a full turn key complete engine from a gt for £150 from a fellow club member , he said it was leaking from the crank shaft oil seal , and i should get it checked out , . so i went to dave wheatly ie caddy in armagh , dave put it on the bench stand turned it over , said the leads on 1 and 2 where in the wrong place ,so changed them over topped up the oil and away it went LOVELY SOUNDS . he gave it a quick check over , replaced the crank shaft oil seal etc and o ring , and bobs your uncle , so ill stripp it down and blast the tin wear , service it , and get the valves checked , so no hidden surprizes.

i spoke to the man i bought the buggy from and he said i could get it at the weekend all goes well ,
owen nw