Moderators: King Aquamentus, Junglelady, Roam

Don't Call it a Comeback!

Joran
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

September 22nd, 2017, 3:00 am #1

Not sure if this should be here but I'm making an insignificant announcement.

Don't call it a comeback! I've been here for years!

So, yeah. What is this? I've decided that I need to write more than I currently do so I'm going to hone my craft by writing Zelda fanfiction again. I wrote The Torch for another thread and I've been listening to a lot of Zelda music recently. I also started reminiscing in my head about the great Zelda stories I read a long time ago and I got the bug again. I'm still prioritizing my original stuff but, yeah. I've got basic plans for three Zelda fics in the near future. I'd love to see them posted here first but I know that things are hard right now in terms of updating, which is totally cool. Things happen. What I will do, however, is put them up on ye olde ff.net and post the links in this here thread.

So what are the stories about? The first one I plan will have a Victorian England type setting and be a crossover with an old Gamecube survival horror game called Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. EDIT: Not a crossover anymore. I'm keeping the setting. I tried this idea before with an Eternal Darkness crossover but while developing the idea I realized why I abandoned it the first time (too many characters being one reason). So now it's a Zelda standalone but it is still coming. END EDIT. The second one will be based in A Link to the Past about a legendary bow said to be held by one of the greatest warriors in Hylian history. The third will reverse the roles of Link and Zelda in the world of Breath of the Wild, in which Zelda belongs to a tight knit community known as 'The Sen Clan.' Nothing has been written yet. It's all just in the planning stage but, yeah. I'm back to Zelda fics, I guess. I was never very good and everything I ever wrote sucked and it's not like I was ever a Zelda writer of any significance. I just figured I'd let the place that fed my original writing bug back in 2008 in on my weird and wild new journey.

Oh, and I know linking that song was corny. I've just always liked that opening line and I've never had an excuse to use it before. I just hope I've gotten better and that I haven't lost too much off-hand Zelda knowledge since then. After all, it's been a long time since I rock and rolled. Been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time.
Alaina and Andrea, you are my roses. Please know that.

Joran
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

October 16th, 2017, 11:23 pm #2

It's not a Zelda story but it is something I've been working on for a fair while now. It does mark my official return to fan fiction, albeit in a different universe. It's a Power Rangers fan fiction featuring a team of my own original characters with their names changed. They come from the original fantasy series I'm working on and I thought it would be a fun idea. It's practice too, yes, but it's more for fun than anything.

Here's a link: Clickity-Clack

Give it a read if it sounds interesting to you.

EDIT: There's also an awesome remix of the theme song that I kind of consider the unofficial theme song to the story here.

Joran
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

December 1st, 2017, 4:42 am #3

I've been sick and also really good at procrastinating lately so the writing thing hasn't gone well the last little while. But, while I didn't finish any of the three stories I have planned I did write a really short Zelda story that was completely unplanned. It's not too well polished or anything but it's a thing and it's finished so it's got that going for it. It's called 'Hail the Dark Lord' and is basically just the laments of Ganondorf after he's won and turned Hyrule into a land of darkness.

Here ya go

Yes, I know it's garbage. But it's something and it's done so it counts as a piece of, uh, work, I guess.

Junglelady
Warrior
Warrior

December 7th, 2017, 5:48 am #4

Joran,

Glad to see you're writing. I don't know much about Power Rangers in all honesty, but you have a good style. I haven't had a chance to check out the other one yet, but I will hopefully soon (things are a bit crazy on my end right now).

Excited to see what else you post.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" - Oscar Wilde

Semper eadem

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
- Walt Whitman

Joran
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

December 30th, 2017, 10:49 am #5

Thanks for checking out the garbage I write, Junglelady. I'm glad you think I have a good style. I didn't even know I had a style to be honest. It all reads like boring gibberish to me even when I'm editing. I guess that's why it takes me so damn long to do anything these days. I tend to edit and cut and add and rewrite until I see something that resembles almost decent writing. I know it'll never be good but as soon as it seems like I could almost like it then I know that I'm on the right track.

Anyway, I've actually started work on one of those Zelda fics finally. The Victorian setting story that was a crossover but isn't anymore has a title and a main character. It's a murder mystery I've decided to call From Shadows. It's set in the world of Breath of the Wild and features the sole heiress of Lord Rory of house Necluda, who was brutally murdered in his own manor house. Young Kifan Rosa Necluda, known as Rosa the Dauntless Rose, takes it upon herself to find her uncle's killer when the local constabulary find nothing but dead ends.

I sort of intended Rosa to be like a vigilante crime fighter of sorts but in a much more elegant and subtle way and less of a brute force Batman kind of way. So I guess this isn't really anything new but it's more of a proclamation to myself that I've gotten back on the horse and I've gotten back to something. So, if you care, there's something to look forward to from me, I guess. It won't be any good but at least it'll be fun to do, right?

Junglelady
Warrior
Warrior

January 2nd, 2018, 5:33 am #6

That sounds AMAZING. Now that one I would really be interested in reading!

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" - Oscar Wilde

Semper eadem

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
- Walt Whitman

Joran
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

May 4th, 2018, 10:05 pm #7

Well I have good news. I've finished the Prologue of From Shadows and it is up and ready for eyeballs!

Here ya go!

It took me a while and chapter 1 might need some serious editing before it gets put up as well. I've been hitting the writing thing pretty hard these last few weeks and I'm finally starting to get things done for a change. This story is a style I haven't really tried before. I tried to capture the old Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot style but with a slightly more modern English since that's really where my strength lies (if you can call it that.) Anyway, it's not much, but it's here if you feel like reading my terrible trash writing.

Joran
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

June 15th, 2018, 9:52 pm #8

Hey here I go again. No, it's not an update to Zelda stories. It's another thing I did on a whim. It's an XCOM 2 story and it is here.

Yeah, it's a bit sad but it all came from this one thing Central said right near the beginning of the game. I've also always been a little too attached to the soldiers in the game and whenever they die my heart practically breaks. (Damn you, Chrysalids!) So that's where this nonsense came from.

I'll hopefully have more of From Shadows up soon and maybe I can finally get to work on The Archer but I've been doing a ton of other things as well so that might be a while, yet. Ah well. Back to my terrible writing, I guess.