Tuesday 10 th July 2018

10:09 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #1

Around 15 riders met at The Dog in Whalley.
Another cracking summers day.
The training ride of 5 set off - we passed them on the Old Road mending a puncture !
We were heading out to Cracoe - The Farm Shop Cafe.
Our regular route of the A59, Sawley, Bolton - by- Bowland, Halton West, Hellifield to Otterburn.
We turned here for Gargrave then hooked another left for Hetton.
These lanes are so attractive. I chatted with Roger awhile about favourite places for cycling. His choice of Barbondale/ Dent area is somewhere we haven’t been for ages.
Through Hetton and arriving in Cracoe to find 4 other cyclists needing refreshment - the cafe was not doing food. We think there may have been staff shortages causing a problem.
John E had to be back so we turned and cycled back to Townhead cafe in Airton. ( couldn’t offer refreshment at our house as we had no key to get in !!!!!! )
Most sat out.
Extremely warm now after our eats. The temperature hit 33 degs as we left Airton.
Some went over the Tops toward Settle. The majority followed Harry back to Hellifield and a retrace of our way out.
We had no mechanicals. We kept a steady pace and I thoroughly enjoyed my ride out in conditions which rival being abroad.
56 miles @ 13.5 mph ave.

2:23 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #2

I joined the training group and punctured my back tyre after hitting a pothole in the very rutted patch in the dip down to a bridge on the old Worston road. A new tube was quickly fitted with help from some of the group - Chris added some more air with his longer pump after my arm tired.

Chris and Peter led the bunch all the way to our lunch stop. Through Sawley, Wigglesworth, Rathmel. Left onto the A65 then left again at Giggleswick Station.

Eldroth, Keasden and the lanes to Wray for lunch.

Peter and I led back through Caton, Quernmore, Bay Horse, Scorton, Barnacre, Inglewhite and Longridge to Ribchester Bridge.

I climbed up to the Wilpshire Hotel with Martin and home through Brownhill.

It had been a few degrees cooler than of late with some cloud for the early part of the ride, but still an excellent day. I had completed almost 81 miles at 17.3 mph and was feeling quite tired by the time I arrived home.

Dave.