Tour de Yorkshire anyone?

May 2nd, 2018, 8:40 pm #1

Anyone aiming to get some of the atmosphere this time round ??

Best viewing point with a bike (not a car unless you also want a long walk!!) is the 'Cote de Park Rash' near Kettlewell and conveniently on Sunday around 2pm. 1 in 4 - ( even steeper in parts for those who don't know it! ) plus hairpin bends on that steep section.

Let's have reports on here if anyone goes out for a viewing

May 3rd, 2018, 4:04 pm #2

Terrific show on Eurosport at the mo - still 50K to go and live and on until 7pm. I think the whole of Yorkshire has turned out to watch - our sport has certainly clicked across the Pennines!

May 3rd, 2018, 6:05 pm #3

Dave Brown wrote:Terrific show on Eurosport at the mo - still 50K to go and live and on until 7pm. I think the whole of Yorkshire has turned out to watch - our sport has certainly clicked across the Pennines!
Any workers or others who missed the first stage today can see both the Women's and the Men's stage on ITV4 at 8pm

If I still had a bike I would do what I have done before to get to an event on Park Rash - last time was for the CTT National Hill Climb - I was there with Denis Hill son of Adam Hill the owner of Hill Special frames - Denis was a top roadman who was tragically killed in a car accident - not on his bike - in the Midlands.

Park up at Stainforth car-park - just on the northern edge of the village on the Ribblehead road. Take one of the best rides around here - over Silverdale Lane to Halton Gill and down wonderful Littondale and turn left at the end and drop into Kettlewell.

Park Rash is a couple of miles away - as long as you chose the right road!!

If any forum members do get to the Tour of Yorkshire please post on here to let us all know

May 3rd, 2018, 8:42 pm #4

Hi Dave, I'm planning to watch TDY near Pecket Wells between Hebden Bridge and Haworth on Sunday with Helen, plus my daughter, son in law and grandson. This may or may not involve bikes! Last time I rode up that road was with the CTC in about 1961 and we played football by the cafe.

Re. Dennis Hill: What a top bloke he was. I rode my first hillclimb wearing a northern team jersey he gave me after he finished 6th in the Tour of Britain, supporting Billy Holmes who won the race that year. He was a real character and never had any money. My dad used to kit him out with new wheels etc for big races and if Dennis won anything he gave us something from his prizes. The best was a cine camera and projector from the Tour of Czechoslovakia, which we used for years.

Colin

May 4th, 2018, 10:01 am #5

colin warland wrote:Hi Dave, I'm planning to watch TDY near Pecket Wells between Hebden Bridge and Haworth on Sunday with Helen, plus my daughter, son in law and grandson. This may or may not involve bikes! Last time I rode up that road was with the CTC in about 1961 and we played football by the cafe.

Re. Dennis Hill: What a top bloke he was. I rode my first hillclimb wearing a northern team jersey he gave me after he finished 6th in the Tour of Britain, supporting Billy Holmes who won the race that year. He was a real character and never had any money. My dad used to kit him out with new wheels etc for big races and if Dennis won anything he gave us something from his prizes. The best was a cine camera and projector from the Tour of Czechoslovakia, which we used for years.

Colin
Hi Colin - yes Pecket Well brings back memories!! If no bike - like for Park Rash - you will have to park and WALK!

Re Denis - as you say a great guy and a great character. And also never any money! - I can't remember him doing a 'normal' job but he was a very good frame builder - along with his dad and on his own if I remember correctly.

You would know more of that side of Denis with your Dad having the shop at that time.

Just checking through my Road Race start and result sheets - only about 20 of them between 1957 and 1962 - he was riding for Burnley Premier in the earlier ones of those - and then went on to higher things as you mention.

I remember we - Mal and me for two - used to call for him I think on Ainsworth Street in Blackburn - I will get Mal to put some detail on as Mal rode Road Races more than me and knew Denis well.

I think Denis's wife was a receptionist to a doctor?? in Blackburn and they had the flat up above! I can well remember going up the OLD Sawley Brow with Denis - on a ride to Harrogate! - he made it look dead easy - for newer members Sawley Brown used to be VERY steep at the top - and Mal and I were struggling and Denis

He moved to live part time in France?? - and was back in the UK in his Camper Van when he was in the fatal accident. Can't put a year on that. RIP Denis - all good memories

May 4th, 2018, 8:02 pm #6

Re Dennis Hill, the Doctors surgery was in fact in James Street alongside St James church and yes Dennis`s wife was the receptionist so
they lived in the flat above as part of the deal.
Dave and I would meet there along with others and the training ride was Preston, Kirkham, Wrea Green, Lytham and back through Preston.
Dennis by this time was a International rider so we were massively outclassed and got dropped every time but it didn't stop us from turning up for the ride again.
Regarding the ride to Harrogate [ we used to take our own butties in those days] I remember Dave put the butties in the bread bin and what was left of the loaf in his pocket,so when we got to Harrogate all he had to eat was dry bread,no wonder he got dropped on the way back,all good fun.

Mal.

May 6th, 2018, 12:07 pm #7

A very good update from Mal on the Dennis Hill subject - including a few memories of our own from the past

For us older ones 'getting fit for racing ' was all about 'stacking the miles in' - something that is not done by many time triallists these days!

We may well not have gone as fast on the past as they go today but in my opinion it was a far better 'cycling life' !!

In the meantime - what a brilliant stage it is live in ITV4 all in 'our' part of Yorkshire - I am looking out for Colin and family!!

May 6th, 2018, 5:41 pm #8

Yes club run so Colin and family a good day

May 6th, 2018, 9:55 pm #9

Wow! What a great race, great weather, great crowds and atmosphere; plus, I managed to ride a few very steep miles from my daughter's to Hebden and up the road towards Pecket Wells. I got the full cow-bell treatment as did Harry and the Club Run. Also nice to meet and chat to Chris Halstead and his mate on the hill. Back to Louise's to sample their new outdoor Pizza oven. I want one!!!

Colin