North Lancs Clarion - Ronnie Aspden

June 12th, 2018, 9:07 am #1

I was hoping someone would be able to help me gather some information on my late great uncle - Ronald (Ronnie) Aspden. Whilst fishing through my grandads things I found an old news paper cut out of a cycling column written by NLRC's Dave Brown. It made reference to Ronnie riding for North Lancs Clarion, supporting a Harry Aspden (no relation) in a team event and also picking up awards for multiple TT distances. I'd be grateful if anyone has any further information about Ronnie and his achievements that they could share.

Thanks

June 12th, 2018, 10:45 am #2

samanderton wrote:I was hoping someone would be able to help me gather some information on my late great uncle - Ronald (Ronnie) Aspden. Whilst fishing through my grandads things I found an old news paper cut out of a cycling column written by NLRC's Dave Brown. It made reference to Ronnie riding for North Lancs Clarion, supporting a Harry Aspden (no relation) in a team event and also picking up awards for multiple TT distances. I'd be grateful if anyone has any further information about Ronnie and his achievements that they could share.

Thanks
Hi Sam - I knew your Great Uncle Ronnie quite well - in fact we were quite good friends.

We have to go back a long time - I have all 800 event start and result sheets that I rode and I have found Ronnie in my 1956 file. I knew him then until he went to live in Yorkshire - and I think died there?

If you do know his date of death that would help me find any references in my Lancashire Telegraph column that covered much of our local cycling from 1978 to - last week!! I can then look backwards as to any mentions he has had.

If that cutting of mine has a date on it then please post that on here.

Today I have spoken to a long time Clitheroe Clarion member but he joined them in more recent years but has information on Ronnie. If you wish to follow that line just send me your email address by the message option on this forum.

June 12th, 2018, 12:02 pm #3

Coincidentally it was Ronnie who got me into racing back in the 70's. He was a postman, lived on Wilson Street in Clitheroe...and always seemed to be smoking a pipe! I think at one time he held the Settle TT record organised by Clitheroe Clarion, which started at that pub opposite Shackleton's in Chatburn. Alan Gornall and Peter Romaine from the North Lancs posted some epic times on this event back in the day.

I remember there being results - and photographs - from the Settle TT on the Clarion's website which appears to be offline at the moment. I'm sure Ronnie was mentioned amongst these times from the 1950s/60s. In his later years I recall him assisting and supporting Elizabeth (Liz) Walmsley from Clitheroe who was quite successful at the time. This is Ronnie with his children in the 1960s...

June 12th, 2018, 1:15 pm #4

Many thanks for the info, it is of great help. Dave I shall send you my email address via the messenger service.

Marshal, many thanks for the picture. I'm sure other family members will be delighted to see it. Ill follow the avenues suggested to see if I can gain more info.