I recorded 1:54:22 in the 37 mile Beacon Little Mountain TT in Worcestershire which was round 3 of the Knight Composites Classic Series. In the Target Time category I was second with +1:42 to Pete Greenwood (+6:37) who was 6th overall in the Vets race at age 66! I also won the V70 award which was awarded even though I was the only V70. However I beat all the other V60s apart from Pete Greenwood. My time was more than 4 min slower than last year despite my average power being 3W higher (186W) and NP the same (196W). The course took in two hill climb courses - Ankerdine and finished at the top of Shelsley Walsh climb (which is this year's National Championship course) It was the first outing for my new steed which I finished assembling the previous evening.
Danny Axford of Arctic Tacx RT won the Vets race with 1:34:46. Carl Donaldson of GS Metro won the Senior/Espoir race with 1:32:09.
I checked my bike this afternoon to discover what had caused a loud knocking on every pedal stroke 2 miles from the finish. I immediately noticed the one of the (rather long) stop screws had become unscrewed and was hitting the crank when in the big ring. I had been aware when I had adjusted it that it seemed a loose fit compared with most stop screws which are a tight fitting. Will apply loctite when I readjust. I also realised that the front mech "braze-on" (actually bolted-on) hanger was loose. This was already fitted to the frame when it arrived. I loctited the screw and refitted. The other screw had a tiny ring of loctite so added more and refitted.
I then noticed that the rear wheel was rubbing on one of the brake pads. I had adjusted the screws in the rear drop-out to centralise the wheel on Saturday and spun the wheels after removing the bike from car at the event HQ but it seemed to have pulled over. I had noticed that the adjuster screws' threads weren't as tight as I am accustomed to. Looks like more loctite needed. At least it explains why I had been 4 min slower than last year despite higher power. I had been concerned that the change of frameset and the new set up had made me less rather than more aerodynamic.
I had been on a series on short test rides on Saturday followed by a 10 mile ride but this obviously hadn't been enough to shake down the problems.