floorcat
Elite

November 27th, 2012, 3:01 am #11

stinger9142 wrote:I hope to put some links to his fights on here when he does.
Sweet... I look forward to seeing some brutal MMA schooling!! :w00t:

And that's crazy, Gooman... I think my very first dream job was in fact that same thing! I've alllllllways loved Legos... I could never get enough of them!! (Legos were the first things I ever collected!) Some of my favorite toys were built following Lego instructions, and I always thought how amazing it would be to create those ships/etc. for others to make, too. Hopefully you're successful in making your way into that position!! ^_^

My dream job currently has got to be similar to that... to what it first was... I'd like to be a designer of some sort. Throughout elementary school, I always thought I'd be an architect, but being somewhat skilled in math & science pushed me (at my parents' "strong" recommendation) into an engineering school, where I eventually grew very dispassionate for anything engineering-related... and started studying something as far away from it... Japanese. That eventually landed me into a localization company, which is nice, but there's really very little creativity involved. I want to CREATE stuff! I love and appreciate well-designed things... it could be anything from a building to furniture to clothing to even cooking utensils. :lol: Maybe someday I'll go for an architecture or design degree of some sort.

Until then... I'll just continue paying my bills with the skills I already have. :rollseyes:

stinger9142
Guardian

November 28th, 2012, 12:53 am #12

Floorcat, you seem very much the type that succeeds at whatever they do. I to share in your desire to "create". I have been wanting to make a gun cabinet for months now. Just so little time.

TNT737373
Veteran

November 28th, 2012, 3:48 am #13

Gooman130 wrote:As childish as it sounds my dream job would be a LEGO designer.
Me too, except to hell with designing and actually having to work.... I wanna be one of those select handful of gentlemen that get paid full-time to "test" out the Lego sets and "make qualified determinations" on whether the instruction manuals and packaging are up to expectations. I swear you gotta be related to the CEO to get a job like that!

Either that or work as a tester for Rockstar North, even a janitor as long as I got perks in their building.. <_>

poptarts214
Established Member
poptarts214
Established Member

November 28th, 2012, 7:37 am #14

I have dreamed about opening a retro videogame store and have people be able to buy or sell there old videogames. Also with hosting splitscreen tournaments (SSB 64!). It would be good to get people to dig their old consoles out of their console and sell it at a reasonable price. With the intent to make retro games more known and an easy place for people to buy them.
296/296 NTSC Carts

Grombleton
Established Member
Grombleton
Established Member

November 28th, 2012, 9:09 am #15

poptarts214 wrote:I have dreamed about opening a retro videogame store and have people be able to buy or sell there old videogames. Also with hosting splitscreen tournaments (SSB 64!). It would be good to get people to dig their old consoles out of their console and sell it at a reasonable price. With the intent to make retro games more known and an easy place for people to buy them.
That would be pretty awesome; there's so few of them around my area i think it'd do quite well.

I think if i had any option, then it'd possibly involve music or being in a band...but other than that, i'm a website designer and that's close enough to my dream job.
UK PAL Collection: 45

Vekoma64
Vekoma64

November 28th, 2012, 12:51 pm #16

I always wanted to work in the video games store when I was a child and Theme Parks. Both jobs that offer no real ladder to climb and no big bucks to earn. Still a dream is a dream and I completed them both. When I was 15/16 I got my first job in an independent games store. That was great fun and did not pay much as I was part time. Then well Electronic Boutique opened and stole all our trade and that ended that dream. Still that was fun ride to end. I moved away from home and got my first job in theme park, LegoLand Windsor. I was 17 and would join the Attractions Team. At this time I was fully employed all year round and not seasonal. I got to teach the kids how to drive in the Driving School, that was cool. That winter I got my intials placed on the number plate of Lego car!. The winter involved cleaning models and general maintaince. I worked my way up the ladder to Area Assitant and become the attractions department main trainer, that was a great job. I got to help build models, train others, operate rides and got to meet some high up Lego managers. The winter was great as it provided many unique tasks and I enjoyed my 5 years with them. The special attractions I hold close my heart is Lego Racers based on the vieo game. It was so far ahead of its time.

Lego Racers was in a large building that guests walked through. When they got to the front they were split into 3 groups of 20 (although the upstairs had a further option for 3 groups of 20)They watched a :pottymouth: DVD based on the a Lego race, then moved through to the next room where they could build a racer and a car using the a touch screen. They then moved through to a big room with 20 Lego race cars where guests would sit down in a car with there own TV and race against the others in the room using LAN. There were 2 tracks. A space track and Desert track which both feature in the N64 game. This launched in 2001 and was a tech nightmare. In total in the buildng there was over 125 PC's that ran the game, the buildings automatic doors and lights and it all ran on Windows 98. Such a disaster the top floor was canned and companys went bust providing little tech support when it did go wrong. Switching the ride on or resetiing the whole system was nightmare, imagine the windows start up jingle being played all at the same time.... :nope: Still, I was there to it closed and it became less reliable and really went crazy and did mad stuff like switch off the lights to building and lock doors. Still I loved it I suppose because it filled two passions. I also got to drive the parks train which was rapid when floored..

I then worked with some other parks and got bored and moved back home only to walk into a job in video games store and became the supervisior. That was the best job I had... EB/Game bought the company and trashed the place to closure. I still recall that day when the email confirmed that the enemy had bought us and I said it would be the end of our team and I was right. Twice in my life they have destroyed my job!

Still this is a long way of pretty much saying I have completed all my dream jobs and it was fun. The choices I made were fun but now I am back a college to get a real job.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

Alice Lawless
Veteran

November 28th, 2012, 2:57 pm #17

You win. Now all you gotta do is start a band and you'd have lived all our dreams!

I think we're ALL guilty of wanting to be a member of the Lego team or work with video games. You my good sir have made your dreams come true ;_;
Facebook:
STIK ROSS

297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

Vekoma64
Vekoma64

November 28th, 2012, 3:52 pm #18

Thanks but a dream job that has low play can be real killer. I just did what I wanted and have no dependents so I did it. It is worth saying that I do not regret the jobs and it made for a more interesting life. However no one ever completed a N64 collection without a good paying job. Which I am working towards now. Clayfighter Sculptures cut will be mine...in a few years ;_;
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

stinger9142
Guardian

November 28th, 2012, 5:30 pm #19

These are great stories guys! Thank you all so much for sharing. Apparently we all share a love of legos too ;)

SicCooper
Veteran

November 28th, 2012, 7:00 pm #20

My dream job would be to work for Nintendo as a 3d Modeler. While this isnt a HUGE stretch for me, its very unlikely (plus I dont want to move to Japan, lol)

I am currently going to school to earn a degree in Video Game Art. I am taking classes ranging from modeling to animation. Modeling is my favorite, and its really what I hope to do as a career. Environmental Artist would be my preferred job title :)

I have about 1 year left here at school, then I will have a bachelors degree in Game Art. After that, I hope to find a job in the industry in Seattle, WA. My hometown is Vancouver, WA, and im in Orlando, FL for school. I hate florida (aside from all the great game deals), and I really want to move back to Washington after I graduate. I have family in seattle, and it would be perfect because the Seattle area has a lot of game companies like Nintendo of America, Microsoft / Bungie Studios, and they also have Google and Apple.

The perfect time line for me would be Graduate > industry job in Seattle > get own house (not apartment) > build most amazing game room ever, complete with secret entrance and everything.