Grizzmeister
Elite

June 30th, 2017, 1:16 pm #61

NES mini, SNES mini and even an N64 mini make sense to me but I can't see Nintendo carrying it out all the way to the GameCube. Not that I don't like the system but there just aren't enough iconic titles on the GC to justify it, in my extremely humble opinion. Besides, the original Wii provides access to the entire GC library so in a sense it's sorta a GameCube mini. :D

A Nintendo 64 Classic Edition at around $100 with two Wii-mote compatible controllers seems like an easy sell to me, however, since Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64, Wave Race 64 and the two Zeldas are still held in such high regard. You don't even have to be a Nintendo fanboy like most of us to appreciate the N64's perennial top ten. :lol:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

deal
deal

July 3rd, 2017, 4:40 pm #62

The thing about N64 Mini is they can put ALL of the good N64 games on the thing if they put at minimum 15 games on the thing. Really I think the N64 has tops 10 good games. You might could stretch that to say 15 games. So if Nintendo puts 20 games on the thing, then it should have every good N64 games you'd ever want to play.
The big problem I see if the N64 controller. It's a funky controller. It was seen that at the time, and it really would be seen as a funky controller today. I wonder if Nintendo did an N64 mini. Do you think they may make a re-designed N64 controller? I.e. get rid of the center trident piece and design it more like the gamecube controller? I think they may just skip the N64 as they could easily do the Gamecube mini since they just recently re-released the Gamecube controller.

I actually would be interested in the N64 Mini just because those games have been hard to emulate by the 3rd parties, etc. And so would be nice if they had all of the good games on it that you could play on HDMI.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

July 3rd, 2017, 4:57 pm #63

@deal: Well, there might be 15 obvious games, but there are far more excellent games on the N64. Our 64-Bit Review section is there to help folks find many excellent games that call the N64 home.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

No64DD
Elite

July 3rd, 2017, 5:25 pm #64

deal wrote:Do you think they may make a re-designed N64 controller? I.e. get rid of the center trident piece and design it more like the gamecube controller?
Maybe not Nintendo, but i could see HORI redoing the Horipadmini64 controllers!! :omg:
A Secret star
lie here~

kartmaster
Veteran

July 3rd, 2017, 9:11 pm #65

I don't think they'd re-design the controller. These minis have been all about nostalgia and while I could see a different thumbstick mechanisim internally (potentiometer) I bet the look and feel would be identical.

Cabanon
Elite

July 3rd, 2017, 10:41 pm #66

deal wrote:I actually would be interested in the N64 Mini just because those games have been hard to emulate by the 3rd parties, etc. And so would be nice if they had all of the good games on it that you could play on HDMI.
I guess you're not following the scene. 64drive or everdrive are the way to go and both do great job emulating every games, even 64dd !

Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

July 5th, 2017, 1:21 am #67

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 64drive/everdrive isn't exactly emulating N64 games, as it runs on the actual hardware.
Deal's point probably is that he wants to see proper emulation to use with modern TVs, which isn't possible with an actual N64 (not properly, in any case).

As for that matter, I don't think they will do anything about it. They didn't do it for the Virtual Console, they won't do it for a potential N64 Mini.
Since it requires significant re-coding, I doubt they'll put the time, money and trouble into it, especially for what's basically a novelty.

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 5th, 2017, 3:15 pm #68

Vaettur wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but 64drive/everdrive isn't exactly emulating N64 games, as it runs on the actual hardware.
Deal's point probably is that he wants to see proper emulation to use with modern TVs, which isn't possible with an actual N64 (not properly, in any case).

As for that matter, I don't think they will do anything about it. They didn't do it for the Virtual Console, they won't do it for a potential N64 Mini.
Since it requires significant re-coding, I doubt they'll put the time, money and trouble into it, especially for what's basically a novelty.
N64 Virtual Console games are different than the cartridge originals in that the run in progressive scan rather than interlaced. That makes them look substantially better on modern HDTV's. I suspect the VC versions is what Nintendo would use if they do in fact manufacture an N64 mini somewhere down the road.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Cabanon
Elite

July 6th, 2017, 3:53 am #69

make sense since these are already upgraded version. this also confirm that no Rare games will be included unless some very sweet magic happens

Grizzmeister
Elite

July 21st, 2017, 3:58 pm #70