SmrtMouth

September 8th, 2012, 2:16 am #61

WOAH THIS IS AWESOME THE BEST ALTERNATIVE TO THOSE REPLACEMENT JOYSTICKS I'VE SEEN YET :w00t: !
I would attempt this but I don't even have a soldering pen or anything like :-/ . I have absolutely no electronic experience I just love retro gaming :n64:

Artyom
Artyom

November 10th, 2012, 5:35 am #62

sanni wrote:Got the LN64 thumbstick working without any additional hardware. Just solder it's 7 wires to a retail N64 controller and you are done.

If the analog stick moves on it's own press L+R+START to reset it.

Feel free to test it out and report back :yeah:

Solder the red wire to the first of the 6 pins on the retail N64 controller. Follow the order given by the ribbon cable until you reach Pins 5 and 6, they have to be switched, so first solder pin 6, then pin 5. Finally solder the 7th wire to the location as seen in the picture.

This is how I attached the restrictor gate that I cut out of the LN64:

On the other half of the controller case you have to bend away or break off a little tab just above the hori chip.
I just got two lodgenet controllers in from bluedog and I can't seem to figure out the best way to cut out the restrictor gate.

Do you have any additional advice on how to do this?

From what I can see there isn't any way to remove it from the lodgenet controller short of destroying the casing.

sanni
sanni

November 10th, 2012, 12:21 pm #63

I would advise against cutting out the restrictor gate since it takes a lot of time until you have sanded it just enough so it perfectly fits into the N64 controller after roughly cutting it out of the LN64.

Instead you should put a original N64 controller's pcb and backside of the case together with the front of the LN64 controller's case.

To do this you need to dremel away lots of plastic on the inside of the LN64 controller case frontside but since it's on the inside and not visible once you close it up you don't have to make it look perfect and a crude job will do just fine.

Artyom
Artyom

November 10th, 2012, 11:10 pm #64

sanni wrote:I would advise against cutting out the restrictor gate since it takes a lot of time until you have sanded it just enough so it perfectly fits into the N64 controller after roughly cutting it out of the LN64.

Instead you should put a original N64 controller's pcb and backside of the case together with the front of the LN64 controller's case.

To do this you need to dremel away lots of plastic on the inside of the LN64 controller case frontside but since it's on the inside and not visible once you close it up you don't have to make it look perfect and a crude job will do just fine.
Hmm...this seems like a lot of work for a replacement joystick. Are we sure that we can't somehow hook up the existing lodgenet controller board to a standard N64 controller plug and use it that way?

The n64 utilizes 3 pins which go to power, data, and ground, the lodgenet board has 1 extra connection. Only thing I've found so far is pin 4 on the lodgenet board is ground, although that doesn't help much.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

November 11th, 2012, 1:32 am #65

@artyom. I tried every conceivable combination on OEM cord to LN PCB and no dice. Our more technically savvy members can explain the reasons why.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

Artyom
Artyom

November 11th, 2012, 4:03 am #66

bluedogrulez wrote:@artyom. I tried every conceivable combination on OEM cord to LN PCB and no dice. Our more technically savvy members can explain the reasons why.
Hmm, well if that's the case then I wonder how difficult it'd be to program some sort of translator using a micro controller.

sanni
sanni

November 11th, 2012, 11:03 am #67

If you got a logic analyzer to see what signals the LN64 controller sends then it shouldn't be too hard since there are already lots of open source gc/or other controller to N64 console examples you could follow. (e.g. Cube64DX or raphnet )

Read this, do the same with the LN64 and then you can start writing your program: http://www.pieter-jan.com/node/10

Sadly most of use don't have a complete LN64 setup(gateway, controllerbox, controller) to monitor how the LN64 controller corresponds with the rest.

Here you see some pictures made by Willis82. You can clearly spot the controller box with the pic microcontroller inside that translates the LN64 controller so the N64 understands it:

Z890
Established Member
Z890
Established Member

December 23rd, 2012, 7:18 pm #68

Has anyone tried these controllers with Goldeneye/perfect dark and compared the aiming?

Grimakis
Grimakis

December 26th, 2012, 9:46 pm #69

I haven't held one of these controllers in years, what is the reason that you need the back from an OEM controller? Can't you just modify the top and bottom half of the Lodgenet controller?

bluedogrulez
Guardian

December 26th, 2012, 10:26 pm #70

The bottom of the LN controller has no expansion/rumble slot. It is not an empty void either (plastic column thingies). However, if you wanted to forgo the slot, you probably could make the LN bottom work with some time on the dremel.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez