Why no light gun games?

danny_galaga
danny_galaga

October 5th, 2017, 10:24 am #1

Have been playing around with light guns for my NES (famicom actually) and it got me wondering why they didn't do it for the N64? It's contemporaries did (playstation, dreamcast) so it's not purely because those types of game fell out of favour. I recon something like House of the Dead would have been great on the N64 (",)

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

October 5th, 2017, 1:23 pm #2

I think Nintendo's emphasis at the time when it came to shooters was using the z button as a trigger - kind of the controller and the gun in one. To the best of my knowledge they were the first controller to have a trigger button on the bottom.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Rocky
Rocky

October 5th, 2017, 1:55 pm #3

I actually did a lot of research into this! Think you might find it interesting: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 7454814/1/

danny_galaga
danny_galaga

October 6th, 2017, 8:43 am #4

Rocky wrote:I actually did a lot of research into this! Think you might find it interesting: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... 7454814/1/
Top work! I'm reading this as I head out the door bnut will devour every word later (",)

Italianbaptist, A finger trigger is not a light gun. The Dreamcast controller had finger triggers ;)

No64DD
Elite

October 6th, 2017, 3:49 pm #5

The exchange we got instead were First Person Shooters that reinvented the genre on N64. If there were a gun for the console, you couldn't expect it to work or compete alongside FPS games. Could you?
A Secret star
lie here~

danny_galaga
danny_galaga

October 12th, 2017, 7:43 am #6

But why an exchange? Why not both? I don't think Rare thought to themselves "Let's see if they have a light gun. If they do, we won't try so hard with Goldeneye"

Having now read Rocky's thread, it does seem likely that Nintendo felt 'stung' after the lacklustre performance of their Super Scope. Pity...

buddy1983
Elite

October 12th, 2017, 12:09 pm #7

Goldeneye was going to be an on rails shooter
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

October 12th, 2017, 3:29 pm #8

In an Iwata asks interview for the Sin & Punishment Star Successor, producer Masato Maegawa said this about the N64 version

"What’s more, a Controller Pak could be plugged into the Nintendo 64 controller, and there was talk of adding a sensor to it. But we had already begun development for the left position(Controller position) Adapting it to a sensor at that point would have only lengthened a development process that was already dragging on. We abandoned it, but after some time had passed, the Wii arrived…"

Considering the amount of things the tranfer slot could do, a sensor that just made the controller the gun could have been cool instead of selling a separate gun. Then again S&P came out in 2000 so it would have been the only game to use the sensor if it did exist, like how the bio sensor is only used for Tetris 64.

Here's that interview

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/I ... 14087.html