What (game) brought you (back) to the N64?

ninty82
ninty82

October 6th, 2017, 1:32 am #1

I had considered buying N64 titles on the VC before but because Nintendo was not really clear on transferring your library to one console to the next one I kinda left that idea. Also, there have been some issues and differences with the N64 titles on the VC. Not to mention, the tiny library of games it offers.
So my game that brought me back to the N64 was definately the Goemon and Rare titles <_>
SETUP:
RGB modded NTSC-J with NJM2267 amp
Panasonic TH-21EA1

stinger9142
Guardian

October 6th, 2017, 6:33 pm #2

I never strayed to far, but...

If I had to give credit to any game(s) for bringing me back, I would have to give the nod to Road Rash, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark, and Pilot Wings. Those draw me back at least once or twice a year. I would give Mario 64 some credit too, but I had it on Wii as well. I often just played it on there.

kartmaster
Veteran

October 6th, 2017, 9:01 pm #3

Mario Kart 64 always brings me back. When I start feeling "old" in life, I bust out Mario Kart and hit up some Time Trials... if I can get close to my old times... then I feel like I'm still kinda the same person I've always been.

I need to update and resurrect the ye olde Hotlap Thread. No good excuses other than, "life".

Vaettur
Established Member
Vaettur
Established Member

October 6th, 2017, 9:43 pm #4

After the N64's days around 2000, I've had a hiatus for quite some years with the system and since the Gamecube and PS2 sparked no interest for me at all, a hiatus for console-gaming in general (and there was also high school, puberty, girls... :whistle: ).

What actually brought me back is the Nintendo DS, more specifically Mario Kart DS. Initially I wasn't interested in the system during it's launch, but when I saw MKDS I just had to buy it (especially since they had a pack-in deal with the game). The classic cups contained many of MK64's courses and that, in combination with SM64DS, just gave a craving for the old N64 again and am still regularly playing(and collecting!) ever since! ;)

Retro Junkie
Retro Junkie

October 8th, 2017, 12:51 pm #5

I lost my way for a time during the "CD" gaming craze that followed the N64 glory days. When I realized that deep inside I was a retro gamer, and loved cart gaming, I never strayed that much. I would move it aside for the "flavor" of that generation of gaming. But would always need my fix of Ridge Racer 64. Having a need to play Ridge Racer and Star Fox kept me faithful. At certain points grabbing up games I missed just established the N64 more into my gaming time. And of course obtaining a Japanese N64 opened the door even more for N64 gaming. I prefer cart based gaming more than ever and it is right up there on the list.

Milage007
Elite

October 8th, 2017, 2:12 pm #6

I never was out of it really I've always owned my original N64 and games so a true die hard supporter. Games like Goldeneye just really did it for me and were the reason I never sold it knowing I'd always want to play it again at some point.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

Kamikaze
Kamikaze

October 9th, 2017, 4:39 pm #7

The game that got me into the N64 was, not suprising at all, Ocarina of Time. But.. That was somewhere in 2014. A long time after release.
My girlfriend is a diehard Zelda fan, but never finished that Zelda. So I opted to go back to it and see how far we can come. So we did. Her love for the N64 came back with that game. Mine just started, both for Zelda and for the N64. Oh, and gaming in general. Big things happened that night I guess :wub:

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

October 10th, 2017, 12:30 am #8

The two big games that brought me back to N64 games were Smash Bros and Mario Kart 64. With both I guess you could say that the HD versions of each on the Wii U were a bit overwhelming and I appreciated the earlier titles' simplicity.

I got both of them for the virtual console on the Wii but what got me back into the console itself were all the games that weren't available on that format like the Pokemon Stadiums, Diddy Kong Racing, and the licensed games.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD