What's Your Major Interest (Beyond Gaming)?

stinger9142
Guardian

May 10th, 2017, 7:41 pm #1

Hello all. I thought it might be a good time to revive my old discussion series.

*I am looking for future themes/topics, If you have any ideas please submit them to the topic in the "Announcement" section*

This topic was suggested by Bluedogrulez! (Thanks buddy)

I know most of you, like myself, spend a fair amount of time gaming. It has been a gigantic part of my life. It has brought me some of my very best friends, and even my wife! :lol: BUT... Most of us probably have or have had other great passions in our lives. I would love to hear about them. We might find out some of us have more in common than we realize.

My biggest passion outside of gaming over the last 20 years has without a doubt been martial arts. Up until about 3 years ago it consumed a lot of my time. I took for years, and taught for a few years. At one point I even taught weekly classes. I started with basic Karate, but quickly began mixing styles in the mid 90's. UFC's early years helped fuel my interest in MMA. I took for 5 years for 2-3 hours a day. I extensively studied Karate, Wing Chun/Jeet Kune Do, Muay Thai, BJJ/Judo, Aikido, & submission wrestling. I began recompiling and organizing what I had learned in 2005 with the intentions of opening a school of my own. The system was called Adaptive Combat Training, or A.C.T. MMA. I ended up having to use my savings for something else though, and that opportunity passed. In 2009 I was asked to start teaching. I taught a group of 5 guys weekly for 3 hours every Friday night. I was forced to stop though when my current job didn't provide enough free time to keep it up and get to see my family enough.

Other big interests in my life -
I used to really enjoy drawing, painting, sculpting, & computer graphics. One interest some of you may find odd is collecting and shooting guns. My family is a bunch of gun nuts. I learned to :pottymouth: very young. I learned as much as I could about different types of firearms, and how to work on them. I also really enjoyed fantasy football for a few years. Much like MMA, it took up too much time to be successful :lol:

More recently I have found fish keeping to be a very fun hobby. I went fish tank crazy, as some of you probably noticed. I didn't touch a video game for near three months. I love watching them, learning about them, planning for/setting up new systems.

So what is it for the rest of you all? Sports? Cars? Wood working???

bluedogrulez
Guardian

May 10th, 2017, 8:11 pm #2

I obsess a bit over a few hobbies (including NYY, fantasy baseball and football, coaching youth sports). But I really am enjoying resuming my softball "career". I play shortstop, and nothing connects me to my youth more than making a diving stop, getting to me feet and firing the ball to first for the out. Sounds a bit mad, but when you get old and out of shape, it is fun to be able to do something (anything!) I could 20+ years ago.

I played in a league when I was 32 through age 36, and we won a championship. Then the twins came and that was it for softball (and that town).

Last Fall, I formed a team in our new town. I begged, I pleaded with just about anyone I knew or remotely knew in town to play. We cobbled together a team of great guys that hadn't been on a diamond in 20+ years, and got smoked week after week by ridiculously good teams (remember, this is 40+ year olds). But then there was a real special moment.

I think we were 0-12 and lost the first game of a doubleheader (and one of our solid players to a leg injury). We were really down. We went into the last inning of the second game behind a run. We got a few hits and then a fly ball that should have tied the game. But the runner on third forgot to tag and did not score. Once of the guys on our team, wanting so desperately to win, lost it. But we still had 1 out left, 2 on, and it was my turn to hit.

I jumped on the first pitch and sent it high and deep to left. The left fielder extended his arm but watched the ball sail past him. The runners scored, we FINALLY won, and I got mobbed at home plate as if we just won the World Series. It was really fun and a moment we still talk about . . . and lead to us forming a Spring team.

We split out first doubleheader of the Spring, which meant not having to wait 12 or so games to get our first win. Hoping a few more wins and a few more memorable moments are in store for our team.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez

stinger9142
Guardian

May 11th, 2017, 4:53 pm #3

That was awesome to read bluedog. I feel like it should be made in to a movie :yeah:

Milage007
Elite

May 11th, 2017, 6:53 pm #4

I want to try and keep mine as concise as possible so I'll sort of put mine in bullet point form and hopefully people can read between the lines.

-Playing football (soccer) - I play twice a week once with work friends once with friends outside of work.

-My dog. I love spending time with my dog, walking him, playing fetch with him, taking him new places with my girlfriend and on exciting days out to the seaside etc.

-I also like to follow my fairly local football (soccer) team, Aston Villa.

-I like travelling, going to new places, in June I will be spending 3 nights in Berlin, Germany, with friends which I am looking forward to. Have been to the states the last two years with my girlfriend the first all around the west coast and surrounding area and most recently to New York City. Loved every minute of my time over there. Truly amazing place.

-I enjoy going to the gym and keeping in shape. I go 2-3 times a week with my brother. It's a good outlet for stress etc and very satisfying after a good work out.

-Family time in general. As we all know, life is :pottymouth:, and it's about spending time when you can with your loved ones, and given how fragile life is, anything could change at any moment, so always try and make the extra effort to make sure family time is sufficiently made and consequently enjoyed.

-I am a gamer of course but I do enjoy collecting a bit of N64 loot as well. I have made so many new friends on the forum and off and all through mutual love of the N64 some 19 years on since I originally had mine. It's awesome!

-I enjoy watching tv, films etc as well.

-As a homeowner keeping the house in tip-top shape, taking on new projects like painting fences, or painting front doors, laying new flooring in the bathroom etc all stuff I have never done before (apart from fence painting) but you do your research and your prep and you learn and surprise yourself. It's very satisfying once you set targets and achieve them domestically.

-Spending time with my immediate family who I live with, so my girlfriend and our dog.

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it?s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can?t feed the poor?

stinger9142
Guardian

May 12th, 2017, 2:07 am #5

That is a good, well rounded :cussfit: of stuff, milage! Lots of family in there, and you can't beat family time. Watching my daughter experience new and exciting things has really become a top priority for my wife and I. Diverse experiences are very important, especially since we home school! :yeah:

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

May 13th, 2017, 8:41 pm #6

I hope this isn't going too far down the controversial road, but it's no secret my Christian faith is probably the biggest part of my life. Everything else I do, including gaming, really flows down from that. It is through my faith that I have also grown to enjoy studying theology, philosophy and psychology. It's helped me to get a better grasp of why I believe what I believe as well as working towards understanding others better.

I might be going to grad school to get my master's in teaching starting this summer. Thinking about that and particularly the field I want to go in, English, has brought back in me a love for stories. I can't say it ever really left, as I watch a lot of tv and enjoy following some shows with a deep plot, like Steven Universe, and relating it to the stuff of life. I guess I'm just more conscious about it now after looking at C.S Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien more.

Also, my favorite shows are Designing Women and the Mary Tyler Moore show :)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

stinger9142
Guardian

May 13th, 2017, 10:00 pm #7

Certainly no controversial road taken there. That is great.

I also love the Bible, and my faith is central to how I try to look at everything and treat everyone.

I should have mentioned that archaeology & history are also two major interests of mine. I enjoy reading and learning all I can. Love good documentaries also :yeah:

Wildfiremicro
Established Member
Wildfiremicro
Established Member

May 19th, 2017, 8:44 pm #8

I love collecting and reading. My favorite books are the Harry Potter series
We are all mad here
Rip and tear until it's done
Youtube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzsB1vGRWSrVZ4GNkdY856w

sanni
sanni

May 24th, 2017, 4:27 pm #9

I love riding my "KTM Ultra 1964" mountain bike. Exploring the local woods on dirt roads feels adventurous while at the same time it has a very soothing effect on me that prolongs throughout the days. :yeah:
Before that I had a road bike and after each session I was just totally done for and often also sunburned. Everything did just hurt. :-/
I guess with sports it's the same as with everything else in life, just try many different things until one sticks with you.

And no I totally did not just make that name up. :n64: :wub:

The Red Shadow
Guardian

May 25th, 2017, 5:26 pm #10

This is probably a little boring but aside from collecting and playing games, I also have a large collection of DVDs and blu-rays. And much like the games, I hava a massive backlog of movies to watch eventually. :wacko:

And that's really it. I have dipped my toes in collecting toys, comics, books, sports cards and other things but games and movies bring me the most enjoyment and interactivity.