Wave Race - January Game of the Month

stinger9142
Guardian

5:03 PM - Jan 02, 2018 #1

Wave Race is our winner after narrowly winning the vote off. Widely regarded as an N64 classic, and rightfully so, so I am glad to see it when.

At the time of its' release it had cutting edge graphics and great gameplay. I played it sparingly at a friends house. I always enjoyed it, but never was very good at it. I finally purchased a copy back in early 2011. I learned I was still not very good at it :lol:

**Breaking Game of the Month information coming soon**

Grizzmeister
Elite

5:30 PM - Jan 02, 2018 #2

Wave Race 64 is still one of my all-time favorite racing games. I like it so much that I sourced up a boxed Japanese Shindou version to add to my collection.

N64 Super Mario 64 & Wave Race 64 "shindou" Re-issues

I purchased the North American version of Wave Race 64 at launch and often demoed it for friends to show off the power of the N64. But the game is much more than just a tech demo as it has challenging tracks and spot-on controls. Truly a masterpiece that should be experienced by anyone who likes playing racing games.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Cabanon
Elite

11:52 PM - Jan 02, 2018 #3

what a fun game and still the top Jetski racing game of all time. Nothing beat it and a true successor is still needed by Big N.

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

11:59 PM - Jan 02, 2018 #4

@Grizzmeister: which music do you prefer - the original or the shindou?
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

The White Falcon
The White Falcon

4:43 AM - Jan 03, 2018 #5

It's a shame we haven't gotten a sequel beyond Blue Storm. I like Blue Storm but the original has a special charm.

Grizzmeister
Elite

11:50 AM - Jan 03, 2018 #6

ItalianBaptist wrote:@Grizzmeister: which music do you prefer - the original or the shindou?
They're very similar but overall I prefer the original. This is probably because I played the original so much more since I didn't get the Shindou version until much later. I didn't even know about it until some time after 2008.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

ItalianBaptist
ItalianBaptist

1:27 PM - Jan 03, 2018 #7

The three games I got with my system were Mario 64, Wheel of Fortune and this. Of the three this is the only one of which I still have my original copy. (I lost Wheel of Fortune at college and I can't remember what happened to Mario 64)

As an elementary schooler I couldn't appreciate what Wave Race brought to the table in terms of water physics, but looking back I definitely see what an accomplishment it is. I'm not even sure future generations have done it better. They may be more realistic, but Wave Race 64's water had a crystal clear look to it that I just love.

Comparing Wave Race 64 to Blue Storm, for me, is like comparing the real-life water in the Bahamas to the water in the Chesapeake Bay.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Elite

1:45 PM - Jan 03, 2018 #8

ItalianBaptist wrote:Comparing Wave Race 64 to Blue Storm, for me, is like comparing the real-life water in the Bahamas to the water in the Chesapeake Bay.
I own Blue Storm too but it just doesn't have the same magic that Wave Race 64 does. No other racing game impressed me nearly as much as WR64 until Gran Turismo 3 came out on the PlayStation 2 five years later.

I recall Sega had a game similar to Wave Race 64 in the arcades called WaveRunner but Nintendo's offering blew it out of the water - pardon the pun. :lol:

Shellshocker18
Shellshocker18

2:40 PM - Jan 03, 2018 #9

Another game I've only played for about 10 minutes. All I know about it is that the water is supposedly impressive as hell, even though I've forgotten what it looks like, and I remember the voices being surprisingly clear for an early game. It was one of the first 13 games ever revealed for N64 at Shoshinkai 1995 so it is an OG Player, and back then the game didn't use Jet Skis, it used weird transforming hovercrafts kinda like Diddy Kong Racing.

@ 46 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6MZqhjt84
I've never done any research on the game but I think Jet Ski's were a good decision for showing off water physics better. Hovering wouldn't be as cool as bouncing along with all the tiny waves. Maybe I'll have free time this year to play it.

bluedogrulez
Guardian

9:57 PM - Jan 03, 2018 #10

I love the rumble version. Revving you engine and feeling the vibration is precisely the type of thing rumble was made for!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez