Video game movies

The Red Shadow
Guardian

2:54 PM - Feb 13, 2013 #1

Yesterday I purchased Silent Hill: Revelation on blu-ray and I plan on watching it today or tomorrow. I'm hoping it will live up to the original Silent Hill movie's standard, as I thought that one was pretty good for a video game movie. Now, we've all had our chance to take in at least one gaming movie in our lifetime, right? Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Super Mario Bros., etc.? Most of these movies are either decent or pretty terrible (especially anything from Uwe Boll...well, I did like Bloodrayne for some insane reason), sort of like how video games based on movies are usually pretty bad. But this has always made me wonder why there aren't movies based on the really high profile gaming franchises, like Metal Gear Solid, Halo, The Legend of Zelda and countless other classics. Do you think it is because the makers of those games don't want their legacy tainted by sub-par Hollywood crap that is only shoveled out to cash in? I lean that way myself. Yet I still can't help but yearn for some truly epic movie-making magic involving some of those masterpiece games and their larger than life protagonists.

Some of my favorite game movies from over the years:

Silent Hill
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (although I hesitate to include it on the list as it was made by Square Enix and is considered a true sequel to the game, whereas most video game movies only use characters and elements from the games they are based on...eh, I still love it)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Mortal Kombat (I'll admit it, I even liked the sequel)
The Tomb Raider movies (enjoyed them both but barely remember anything about either one)
Resident Evil (I've only seen the first two; they were decent but not necessarily standout)
Bloodrayne (yep, I'm officially a lunatic :dance: )

Phantom
Veteran

3:09 PM - Feb 13, 2013 #2

I saw somewhere awhile ago that someone was planning on making an 'Uncharted' movie with Mark Wahlberg in it, Haven't herd anything lately so don't know if it is still going to happen. anyway

I did enjoy the 'Max Payne' movie and i actually didn't mind the 'Hitman' movie eather.

But yeah alot of them are just rubbish.

The Red Shadow
Guardian

3:20 PM - Feb 13, 2013 #3

I'm glad you brought up the Uncharted movie as there are a few upcoming projects that look appealing to me and that is one. BUT, if they do go on with Wahlberg as the choice for Nathan Drake then that would be a real shame. I think most of us know there is only one man to fill Drake's shoes and he has the same first name as the character himself: Nathan Fillion. He would be so perfect for that role.

Phantom
Veteran

3:28 PM - Feb 13, 2013 #4

i do agree Nathan Fillion would be great in it at least there is a bit of resemblance, don't get me wrong tho i think Mark Wahlberg is a great actor (in my opinion anyway) but i dont think he would be right for the part, i can actually thunk of a couple of actors who would be good for the role. i heard that Robert De Niro was going to be in it aswell.

What were some of the other upcoming projects that caught your eye?

The Red Shadow
Guardian

3:44 PM - Feb 13, 2013 #5

Assassin's Creed, World of Warcraft (really hoping for this one) and a third Mortal Kombat movie. I mean, that last one could be good, right?

As for Mark Wahlberg, I agree that he is a phenomenal actor but just not quite right for this one. I can see how he got cast for Max Payne, and I should catch that one someday.

CoachLuke22
CoachLuke22

3:45 PM - Feb 13, 2013 #6

I really enjoyed the Hitman movie.
N.A. Consoles - 7/9
N.A. Controllers CIB - 8/8
N.A. Carts - 76/296

Nintendo Power Controllers - Nintendo Power 100, DK64, Millennium 2000

The Red Shadow
Guardian

3:48 PM - Feb 13, 2013 #7

CoachLuke22 wrote:I really enjoyed the Hitman movie.
That is another one I kind of want to see. I love Timothy Olyphant. There is talk of a reboot movie starring Paul Walker as Agent 47. Not so sure how I feel about that casting decision. Dude is great in the Fast and Furious movies but a hitman seems a bit of a stretch.

Phantom
Veteran

3:50 PM - Feb 13, 2013 #8

Ive never seen any of the Mortal Kombat movies, if they do make a new one i may check out the first ones :)

You haven't seen Max Payne??? You really should it is one of my favourite movies.

Assassins Creed might be pretty cool aswell.

EDIT: Just saw that Paul Walker will be playing agent 47 which they will start filming sometime after Fast and Furious 6.
The movie wont be called 'Hitman' it will be called Agent 47

DeeMoney
Guardian

1:19 AM - Feb 15, 2013 #9

Paul Walker as agent 47. This movie is doomed from the start. I can't stand him as an actor. No talent!!!! IMO
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

The Red Shadow
Guardian

4:46 AM - Feb 15, 2013 #10

I think just the idea of changing the name to Agent 47 is a fail. Sort of like how they said the name "Tomb Raider" would no longer be used for the games and instead they would be called The Adventure of Lara Croft. So dumb.