upscale n64 32 inch lcd

retroguy
retroguy

January 4th, 2015, 5:54 am #1

i was wondering, would an hdmi upscale box on amazon for $20 be good for up scaling
n64 4lyfe

Grizzmeister
Elite

January 4th, 2015, 3:44 pm #2

retroguy wrote:i was wondering, would an hdmi upscale box on amazon for $20 be good for up scaling
Do a lot of research before you buy an upscaler because I've heard that many of them introduce unwanted lag.

For a while, I consider purchasing an upscaler but lost interest after reading many negative reviews of the more reasonably priced units. In the end I just downloaded the Virtual Console version of the games I play most. :-/
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Cabanon
Elite

January 4th, 2015, 6:20 pm #3

search here http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Fo ... m/3009316/
there's an awful amount of info about them and what to look for.

Grimakis
Grimakis

January 6th, 2015, 6:08 pm #4

I think Grizzmeister makes a good point about lag.Some scalers will REDUCE lag and some will INCREASE lag.

For arguments sake, say the N64 is outputting a 480i signal that must be scaled and deinterlaced to be displayed on a 1080p TV. Whether or not you have a scaler, your TV needs the 1080p signal. So if you feed it the 480i or 240i or 240p or whatever PAL resolutions there are, the TV's internal scaler will go to work. This inevitably introduces lag. Now if you you use an external scaler that creates less lag, you can actually improve the response time of the TV. However a cheap scaler may do more harm than good.